The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2023, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
One of the most interesting things about aviation is in 36 years we. Went from the Wright Brothers 1903 to the German Me 262 jet 1939
Agreed, and when you think about it, only 30 more years until man stepped on the moon!
Old July 31st, 2023, 07:32 AM
Always room for one more

Sorry Jamesbo, never heard of it.

Old July 31st, 2023, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Sorry Jamesbo, never heard of it.
ok Mike I'll give you a hint. Robert " W" Woodruff a.k.a." the big cigar:
Old July 31st, 2023, 10:29 AM
Always room for one more

Must be something Coca Cola. Hm, a quick perusal of the internet tells me it's the premier cancer center of the state. I'm guessing one wouldn't want to ride on one of those planes. Your friend's dad had his own Dassault Falcon? Did he fly it himself?

Old July 31st, 2023, 01:09 PM

Mike, Back in the old days Youd get on a van in the parking lot with your luggage to take you one [of many ] Gulfstreams Coke had The Van just only said Winship [Woodruffs middle name] I always thought it was classy and low key. No my friend's dad was a P 51 pilot during WW ll but he had a GREAT pilot that flew the hump during WWll and had years of air time Before he bought the falcon, he had a G 1 and we flew in some nasty weather in that one. He would smoke his short unfiltered Camels and was cool as a cucumber. He looked exactly like what a WW ll pilot should [imho] look like I would guess after flying the Hump nothing looks very difficult. I have been told When Ross Perot was trying to get the hostages out of Iran [1979] They cooked up a plan and went on a search.for pilots that had flown The Hump. I have no idear if it's true but the guy that told me worked for Perot and could do a perfect imitation

Last edited by Jamesbo; July 31st, 2023 at 01:52 PM.
Old July 31st, 2023, 01:29 PM
Running On Empty

guess after flying the Hump nothing looks very difficult.
Roger that!
Old July 31st, 2023, 03:40 PM
Running On Empty

40/39 So much more enjoyable playing in decent weather...
Old July 31st, 2023, 03:43 PM

Great round Norm. Statistically one has a better chance of dying in an airplane crash than ever breaking 80
Old July 31st, 2023, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
40/39 So much more enjoyable playing in decent weather...
Nice round Norm!
Old July 31st, 2023, 03:55 PM
Running On Empty

Great round Norm. Statistically one has a better chance of dying in an airplane crash than ever breaking 80
Jim - Thanks. That's an interesting statistic.

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Nice round Norm!
Chris - Thanks. Enjoyed not having to play inside a molten iron blast furnace.

Weather looks favorable the remainder of the week w/ regards to lower humidity. What a relief.
Old August 1st, 2023, 03:53 AM

Old August 1st, 2023, 05:18 AM

Good morning guys,

Much cooler temps (mid-80's) have set in for the rest of this week, mainly due to overcast skies and a high chance of rain every day thru Sunday. A nice break! My daughter finally got her power back yesterday afternoon after the bad storm on Saturday. Luckily they had a gas generator and were able to save all their food in their refrigerator and deep freeze.

At the request of our Club President, our St. Louis Archway Old's Club sent out a message to all our members to be on the lookout for the recent NFL promo advertising the Chiefs vs. Lions regular season opener on September 7th. They had me write a short story to explain the history of how video footage of my car came to be included in this recent promo ad.

Not much else going on around here right now. We'll see what the day brings? Pretty sure my wife will be cleaning house for the neighbor down the street today. I usually offer to take her out to dinner on days she cleans so she doesn't feel like she needs to cook dinner.

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old August 1st, 2023, 12:17 PM

Hey, whaddaya know. We have cooler temperatures as well. We're celebrating that yesterday it only got to 108 degrees.

Old August 1st, 2023, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71

Congratulations . . . kinda, sorta, I guess?
Old August 2nd, 2023, 05:04 AM

Good morning guys,

Heavy rain and lightning right now that's supposed to continue through noon. Of course Monty is having his usual thunderstorm meltdown, so I'm out in the living room with him so Momma and Maggie can snooze in the nice comfortable bed. Kinda sucks!

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old August 3rd, 2023, 01:02 AM

Well I se where my neighbor Nick [that I've never met] just plopped down 17 mil for a house near Tigers in JupiterThe article said he bought it under the name High Tide LLC How Clever Norm We need to upgrade our golfing location options for nicer year round weather
Old August 3rd, 2023, 03:51 AM
Running On Empty

Norm We need to upgrade our golfing location options for nicer year round weather
Jim - Find a place w/ a grounds keeper's guest house - I can double as your grounds keeper & caddie.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 04:49 AM

Norm, I appreciate the offer very much but the way I've been playing lately, I'm not sure anyone could club me. Not sure if my 9 iron n is going 115 or15
Old August 3rd, 2023, 06:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Nice morning out, as I was driving in. The weather girl said it was raining like crazy up in Lawrenceville. Jamesbo did you get any of it? Looked like it was going to rain yesterday afternoon but it didn't.

So I was running errands yesterday and when I was sitting at a light a red with black vinyl top 67 442 crossed the intersection. To say I was surprised is an understatement. I don't believe I've seen that car around before. It got me thinking, the 67 runs a close second to my favorite year 70. I really need to have a 67. Chris that ought to please you. Years ago there was a triple Saffron convertible Cutlass at that place in Celina. It was toast, but I went to look at it when I was there. It had been on ebay for at least a year. They had it buried in the back of one of their warehouses under another car on a lift. The guy didn't want to show it to me. But he let me crawl back there and have a look. The top and seats were mostly duct tape. It didn't have too much rust on the body but the floors had that rust look of being able to stick your finger through the metal. I passed. They wanted 7K and even if they were to entertain an offer, mine would have been miniscule. I hate that saffron color but I was going to paint it 1967 Chrysler Turbine Bronze.

So today is 40 years since I lost my Dad. Seems like an eternity. He was out of town on business and had a heart attack late in the evening. We didn't have the best of relationships but I can tell you it was tough growing up without him. I often wonder what I'd be doing now had he not died. Pretty sure it wouldn't be what I'm doing now.

Spanish salsa music on the blue tooth speaker this morning. My head is throbbing to the beat. I'm pretty sure the only person who wants to hear it is the one who is playing it. Ug.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old August 3rd, 2023, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

So I was running errands yesterday and when I was sitting at a light a red with black vinyl top 67 442 crossed the intersection. To say I was surprised is an understatement. I don't believe I've seen that car around before. It got me thinking, the 67 runs a close second to my favorite year 70. I really need to have a 67. Chris that ought to please you.
Yep! 😃
Old August 3rd, 2023, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim - Find a place w/ a grounds keeper's guest house - I can double as your grounds keeper & caddie.

Old August 3rd, 2023, 03:17 PM

Keith - Hilarious movie, thanks for the memories!
Old August 3rd, 2023, 03:26 PM

Mike I have a feeling your dad is watching over you, and the family and he is very proud.

Keith
Old August 3rd, 2023, 03:29 PM

Hey guys,

Multiple periods of rain and thunder rolled thru throughout the day, some heavy. Always a PIA from the perspective of Monty's meltdown issues.

I joined the OCA today, 1-yr membership. At the urging of our Archway Olds Club President, I submitted the story of my car now having been in 2 NFL commercials for potential publication in Journey with Olds. You have to be a member in OCA to get a story/article published.

A little birdie told me that the Oldsmobile Nationals are going to be held in Springfield next summer. I didn't think to ask whether that is Springfield, MO or Springfield, IL? I need clarification. Either one will probably be as close as they ever will be to me.

Hope everyone has had a great day!
Old August 3rd, 2023, 05:04 PM

Keith - Hilarious movie, thanks for the memories!
Yes Chris How can one go wrong with Murray, Chase, and, Dangerfield
Old August 3rd, 2023, 06:06 PM

Hey guys,

Multiple periods of rain and thunder rolled thru throughout the day, some heavy. Always a PIA from the perspective of Monty's meltdown issues.

I joined the OCA today, 1-yr membership. At the urging of our Archway Olds Club President, I submitted the story of my car now having been in 2 NFL commercials for potential publication in Journey with Olds. You have to be a member in OCA to get a story/article published.

A little birdie told me that the Oldsmobile Nationals are going to be held in Springfield next summer. I didn't think to ask whether that is Springfield, MO or Springfield, IL? I need clarification. Either one will probably be as close as they ever will be to me.

Hope everyone has had a great day!
That's the rule in clubs. I have a hard time getting people to get that the H/OCA facebook page is not membership in the club, and you need to be a member to submit article. Fortunately, next newsletter is all nationals coverage, as I am OUT of articles.
Old August 3rd, 2023, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
That's the rule in clubs. I have a hard time getting people to get that the H/OCA facebook page is not membership in the club, and you need to be a member to submit article. Fortunately, next newsletter is all nationals coverage, as I am OUT of articles.
John - I can definitely understand the rule about being a member in order to get an article published. I'm sure JWO has no shortage of articles/stories submitted for consideration. I didn't think my story was worthy of national attention, but as I mentioned our local Club President kept urging me to do so, as well as our Club Secretary Marcie Ranick. Marcie is also the OCA Secretary. Just got a text from our local Club President clarifying next year's Nationals will be in Springfield, MO. That's 200-miles from me. My car oughta be able to make that trip!
Old August 4th, 2023, 02:07 AM
Always room for one more

Thank you Keith that's nice of you to say.
Old August 4th, 2023, 03:57 AM

--Chris, I'll bet your story will be in the JWO. Glad you joined. I hope to see you at a nationals someday. You can still make Dayton if you hurry- That's not crazy far from you. It's unusual for us to go to 2 in a row but Nashville and Dayton aren't too far from us. There was one in Springfield Ill maybe 10 years ago we went to. I would guess that 2024's event will be in another area of the country, but who knows?
-- Putting back together truck- fun times- so much more rewarding than working on a 2009 Fi50 or a Nissan... Got doors done, open and close good and repop door cylinders for door locks work good. (Bought a bunch of this stuff years back and now finally getting installed) Painted ft and rear bumpers in satin black, etc, etc.
Old August 4th, 2023, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Chris, I'll bet your story will be in the JWO. Glad you joined. I hope to see you at a nationals someday. You can still make Dayton if you hurry- That's not crazy far from you. It's unusual for us to go to 2 in a row but Nashville and Dayton aren't too far from us. There was one in Springfield Ill maybe 10 years ago we went to. I would guess that 2024's event will be in another area of the country, but who knows?
-- Putting back together truck- fun times- so much more rewarding than working on a 2009 Fi50 or a Nissan... Got doors done, open and close good and repop door cylinders for door locks work good. (Bought a bunch of this stuff years back and now finally getting installed) Painted ft and rear bumpers in satin black, etc, etc.
Greg - I guess we'll see about the story making it in the JWO, keeping my fingers crossed at this point since I've invested some time and effort in it now.

You may have read past, or got confused on the date, when I said above that I've heard the 2024 Nationals will be in Springfield, Missouri, not Illinois. Actually Springfield, IL would be even closer to me than Springfield, Missouri, but Springfield, Missouri is still the closest one to me yet. I am surprised our local Chapter has not been pushing to host one here in St. Louis, but I know putting one on has to be a $hit-ton of work!

Glad you're having fun working on the old truck! I think you should nickname it "The Hulk". LoL 😂
Old August 4th, 2023, 05:12 AM

Good morning guys,

Been up with Monty again since 0500 as waves of lightning/thunder and heavy rain continue to roll through. We couldn't buy a drop of rain for months and now the monsoons have set in. We've now had substantial rain 4 out of the last 5-days, with more forecast thru the weekend. I really needed to get out and mow yesterday evening, but the yard never dried out after the heavy rain we had yesterday morning, and then overcast skies all afternoon. It is not looking good right now for being able to get my car out to any event this weekend, which sucks!

Hope ya'll have a great weekend!
Old August 4th, 2023, 04:56 PM

Rain. We haven’t had any since March.
Old August 4th, 2023, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Rain. We haven’t had any since March.
Sure wish I could send you some of ours, we have a flash flood warning in effect for the remainder of the weekend.
Old August 5th, 2023, 07:05 AM
GCH

We had rain on/off for many days now and i have never seen a weather forecast like next monday.
96mm rain and warning for waterfloods in almost whole country.
Old August 5th, 2023, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
We had rain on/off for many days now and i have never seen a weather forecast like next monday. 96mm rain and warning for waterfloods in almost whole country.
Maybe we should both be looking for a boat!
Old August 5th, 2023, 07:57 AM
GCH

Yes , we maybe need one soon
Old August 5th, 2023, 04:04 PM
Always room for one more

Or an ark.

Hi everyone.

Beautiful here but humid. No rain today or probably this weekend. Been doing things around the house this afternoon.

Had a meeting at my airport this morning. Basically just telling what's been going on, what the money is spent on, that sort of thing. It was nice seeing the neighbors and doing neighborhood business. Next meeting in February.

So I swapped out the blue van for the SRX. The SRX will just stay at Mom's for when we go places together. The van and the pickup will share driving to work and other trips from home. The Chevy will be in that rotation but it has some electrical problems I need to figure out.

Just gonna relax tonight and watch TV. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Old August 5th, 2023, 07:18 PM

Mike - Sounds like you had a pretty good day.

We finally got a day without rain. Very humid though with the ground being saturated. Got out to mow around 10am after the grass dried. It was totally overcast when I started and not too bad, but then full sun came out for the remaining 2/3 and it felt like a sauna.

I was able to get the car out this afternoon/evening to a cruising Main St. event in DeSoto, MO. That is the town with the Vintage Texaco station that I've posted pics of. They used the Texaco Station as a display area for cars and as a staging area for starting the cruising. I was there from about 3:30 until 6:30. The town has a long Main St. and there was a bunch of spectators lining the sidewalk. I made 2 passes and that was enough. I had a really good time and the car's running great.

Going to a surprise b-day party for my SIL tomorrow. Maybe we'll here some more news about my BIL's health status?

Hope everyone has a great rest of your weekend.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 5th, 2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old August 5th, 2023, 07:47 PM

Burned yard trash today. I have a lot to go. My method is a couple sheets of sheet metal under a 4 foot diameter fire ring. The last time I burned on my property was in 2019 or earlier. I used the lockdowns of 2020 to clear a section of my land that I have kept reasonably clear the past few years. Previously, I burned on the driveway and did not like it; now I burn down in the low area I cleared, which is much better. Once I get the fire going, the limbs get placed across or into the fire, they burn that part away and fall off the side, and I reinsert whats left.

I would like to have a BIG bonfire, but I don't have the place to do the traditional, let it sit all summer and burn it around Halloween, style one. In 2020 and more recently, my friend has a piece of land with a burn pit, but he hasn't started one this year, so I don't haul it there until he does.

Starting dieting. Might be down 5 lbs tomorrow.
Old August 5th, 2023, 07:49 PM

Well at least it’s not gonna be as hot as it has been the past several weeks.

Last edited by Fun71; August 5th, 2023 at 08:20 PM.