The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2012, 07:38 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Looks like he says 1 1/2 yards of cloth and 2 1/2 yards of vinyl for the front. So with 3 yards of cloth @ $89 per yard will be roughly $270 plus 5 yards of vinyl @ $49 per yard will be roughly $150 for front and back. That brings $420 in material and $950 for assembly plus what you pay someone to R & R them = A happy Teepo
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:39 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Here's the answer to the email I sent to SMS yesterday. Scot..... is he accurate on how much material I would need for the seats?? You're smart about this stuff, lol! I don't know if I can afford this. That would be like almost $1700 just for the front seat cover to be made, plus I'd still have to pay someone to put the covers on the seat. Crap... crap.. crap.

Sandy---If we get started soon, March will be no problem. Basically
you have 11/2 yards of cloth plus 2 1/2 yards of vinyl on the front
seat, so that will be your cost of materials. In addition, we will
charge $450--550 to do the assembly. We guarantee that it will be
sewn correctly. We guarantee that we can deliver by end of March (if
you get it going soon).

Doug

P.S. If you do front and rear, you will double the material cost and
the assembly will probably run $950.00.
OMG ! I think I'll just put a blanket over my ripped seats instead !

Seriously though .... Your car is very nice , so it's worth it ! Obviously shop around , but I think you did that already . If anything , save up and get it done down the road little by little . You would think they would give you a discount for doing the front and back at the same time to get the sale . Do you think haggling with them will help ?
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Whoo! Frost on the pumpkin this morning! Well, not quite, but it was 41 when I woke up this morning, and 59 in the house. The gas gets turned on tomorrow so that will help immensely.

Sandy what is the significance of the empty chair amongst the Romney signs? You should have kept your caller on the line, it might have gotten hotter in there than Steve's heater.

Bryan my favorite Neil Young song is Long May You Run. To me it is like the car version of, the King is dead, long live the King. Which doesn't really make sense to me.

So Halloween today. Not a fan. Around here it is just another excuse for the thugs to bust shtt up. When I was little and trick or treating, it was either so frickin' cold we had to wear winter coats over our costumes, or it was raining. No such luck. I've had my mailbox knocked over, eggs thrown at my cars, fire crackers lit off on my porch. I've called the police before and they are like, we are too busy with this going on everywhere. Then it occurred to me. If they tell that to everyone, then the cops won't have anything to do and they can sip on their coffee all night.

I think I'll take in the Awful house then hit the post office and Walmart. I didn't get to Awful house this weekend because they are all gross. So I'll just stick with my usual.

Have a good day everyone.
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:04 AM
Captain Starfire

Watch Out w/ dat "Southern Man"!

Really didn't like Supertramp when I was a pup; but they grew on me as I matured to dog-hood. I think "Bloody Well Right" was the one that did it.

Hang in dere wit dem kids, Bryan... sounds like ya' doin' great! Just watch those POR-15 vapors... man, that stuff's potent. Almost as bad as Eastwood's exhaust manifold coating.

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
Good Morning ....
But , by the time I got them to school they were laughing pretty good though . Dad always seems to have some kind of funny made up song or joke to get them going . Man I love them kids !
I'll play "Southern man" from Neil Young while I'm painting , followed up with "School" by Supertramp !.... How does that sound ? Crap , that means I'm gonna have to dig albums out
Clint, I flipped the coin and it turned up da' guy 20 mi. away; so we gonna' bring the Camry to his place tonite. Wish me luck. I did a little research and the guy really has been in business since '76 and he's BBB Accredited. So hopefully, it will be worth the drive.

Looks like a beautiful day down in the swamps; it was 45 this morning (39 yesterday morning). But it's supposed to get near 80 today. The little goblins & witches won't be too chilly as they parade to their neighbors' houses.
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:16 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Sandy you could always go this route http://www.legendaryautointeriors.co...spx?PageID=70& but it won't be as good as the quality, pattern match or color IMO.

I guess it would look better than torn or ripped seats and you definitely don't want to have to replace the foam too if you let it go too long. I haven't seen the damage, so it may be possible to restitch what you have for way less

Call them and see if they will send you a sample they sell the covers themselves if you want to go that route and let that guy install them for you but there again it's your cal.

Don't forget to read this:

*Note* Basic installations DO NOT include new foam and cotton replacement or reconstruction, media blasting, painting, welding, frame straightening, polishing or trim detailing. These services are additional and are available at an hourly rate.

Please call for more details at 1-800-363-8804 (Legendary Interiors)
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:46 AM
Cutlass Lover

Scot.... I took his 11/2 to be 11-1/2, lol. I thought, that's alot of material. There are 3 feet in 1 yard.... seems to me there's more cloth on the seats than 3 feet?? I could probably afford it, the way you figured it.

Attachment 173648

No comments about the maroon cupholder that is now green.

I asked Don Sitts about repairing the tear a couple years ago and his upholstery people said they couldn't do it and it wouldn't look right if they tried. I don't like the sounds of the Legendary stuff.....

....Sandy what is the significance of the empty chair amongst the Romney signs?

Mike... on the first presidential debate, Clint Eastwood was speaking for Romney. He had an empty chair beside him which represented Obama.... google it. I don't want to get in trouble.....
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:51 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by slantflat
So Halloween today. Not a fan. Around here it is just another excuse for the thugs to bust shtt up. When I was little and trick or treating, it was either so frickin' cold we had to wear winter coats over our costumes, or it was raining. No such luck. I've had my mailbox knocked over, eggs thrown at my cars, fire crackers lit off on my porch. I've called the police before and they are like, we are too busy with this going on everywhere. Then it occurred to me. If they tell that to everyone, then the cops won't have anything to do and they can sip on their coffee all night.

I had a sigh of relief knowing it wasn't me . I'm all grown up now , and me and my friends never broke anything on halloween but pumpkins . Payback is a biotch though ! I remember grabbing a pumpkin to smash it in the street one time , and didn't see the chicken wire fence the guy installed in the middle of his yard , and did a belly flop ! The pumpkin rolled down the hill cracking in half on it's way down . I remember having chicken wire pattern cuts in my knee caps for a week ! I bet the guy was rolling on the floor laughing when he seen that , if he did ... along with my friend that I was with ! I think one year we got over a hundred pumpkins in a couple of nights IIRC .... not something to be proud about I guess , but we sure had a lot of people chasing us around ! At one point they teamed up in alliance ( total strangers from different neighborhoods ) to try and catch us ! ... of course they never did . You really need to get smart with these punks ! set some game trackers , booby traps , loud speakers , affixing the pumpkin to the porch , along with some kind of trip wire that gives them some kind of nasty surpise ! .... etc ... etc . There are a lot of little things you can do to mess their world up ! I don't agree with destruction of private property ! I realize that smashing their pumpkis is ALSO destruction of private property , but it's only a couple of bucks at least ! I would like to think we waited till after halloween to smash peoples pumpkins , but probably didn't
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:56 AM
NOVICE car nut

Man Sandy , that sucks , because from the photo the seats still look to be in decent shape ... and tell me you didn't spray paint the cup holder , did you ? lol .
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:13 AM
Cutlass Lover

Bryan... I did spray the cup holder a few years ago, lol. It matches nicely now.

The tear is under the vinyl strip that goes across the middle of the back of the seats, right on the back of the drivers seat. When sitting in the drivers seat, it's right above my hip, but below the waist. I think just years of people sliding in and out of the seat. The tear is getting bigger - the fabric is very thin around the tear now. I usually prop an Olds book up against the seat back when I'm at the shows to hide it.

Other than that, her interior is in beautiful. A little faded in some places from the sun, but still nice. I hate to have to recover the whole seat just for that tear. If they could only do the back of the drivers seat, it would be all good, lol!
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:49 AM

Sandy, I hate to be a master of the obvious. BUT Why not get a bigger book?
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM

Sandy, too bad you aren't up this way, as we have a shop that has been doing interiors for a few decades. I took my '71 there just before I sold it, they were just going to do the drivers upper side, and their supplier quoted the material at 159.00, I was to call back for the labor $$, when I sold it. I did call them and let them know that the car had been sold. They installed the vinyl replacement seat covers on my buddies' '68 442....did a good job. I can't believe with all of the car events in your area that there isn't a good upholstery shop around you. (Ohio has some of the most members in the OCA).
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Happy Hallowed Humpday everyone.

Brrr! What can I say?

Saw more sad news that there are now close to 40 victims of H. Sandy and possibly more to come. I grieve for the innocent folks who lost their lives to natures fury.

Jamesbo - I'll find ya a better pulp wood truck. Something older maybe? How bout from de 40's or 50's? Y'all might have ta shoot from de cab though.

Scot - good solid advice. Most folks don't realize how much work and time goes into this type of resto.

Sandy - Just a thought. You said you dyed the cupholder green? Is it a color that would be compatible with TPO's door carpet? If you mask off the door panels you can re-dye the carpet to a beautiful green that will really freshen the look and get rid of that sort of faded brown look. Good luck with the project. Gee, maybe you should start a thread on TPO's new custom interior??? It would be great to see something besides just the vinyl interior. I think you are the first one I've seen attempting this.

Another thought for you as info. One of the guys on this site (RAMBOW) does seat restorations. He's not that close, but maybe you could touch base with him too about everything that would be needed for a COMPLETE resto. I'd also ask him about pricing before you commit to the other guys. Just my 2¢. Here is his website http://www.seat-guy.com/
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:07 AM
Cutlass Lover

Hey Dan.... I wish I could get just the driver's upper side replaced; that's where the tear is. But I suppose that would look funny, nice new dark green material with old faded green material. I have to do some more calling around. When I ask the guys at the shows about upholsterers, I get "Oh I don't remember who it was that did it, but they did a great job." That really helps, lol. I know we have them around here, I just have to find them!!

Jamesbo.... you're bein a shi*!!!!!

Allan R.... I will contact Rambow, thanks. That pic of Teepo's interior was taken in 2009 I think. I've since used RIT dye and a sponge on her door carpets. Dark green again, lol. And I spray painted the cup holder with paint for plastics.

Last edited by cutlassgal; October 31st, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:09 AM

Sandy, I gots a GREAT Ider. Get yourself [steal] a drive in tray like I got on de Vista Cruiser, an put a mannequin in de drivers seat. Ya know, one dat looks like de Fonz or James Dean. Roll up a pack of Marlboros in his t-shirt sleeve.

I saw sum'in like dis at an Expo in Vancouver once. It was really cool
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:19 AM
Cutlass Lover

Not a bad idea, Jamesbo, lol!!
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:31 AM

Better yet, Get cha a lady mannequin and put a fanny flosser on her. De judges won't ever even look at de car.
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:58 AM
Always room for one more

Sandy that was a pretty funny speech. Teepo's interior looks very nice. My 70 has (what's left of) that same dark green interior.

Allan I can't think of anything more appropriate for a Georgia meeting of the minds than to have it at the Awful house. They started here in Atlanta way back 50-some years ago.

Just read that John Fitch has died. He was 95. Fitch was popular with the Corvair people because he came up with the Fitch Sprint which was a Corvair. He also invented the yellow sand-filled barrels that are on the racetrack and the highway, and he was, to date, the only American on the Mercedes Benz racing team. He was a pilot in WWII and various other things in his life. And as I understand it, a pretty nice guy to talk to.

Bryan I realize kids will be kids, and if it were only pumpkins that got smashed that would be okay. But around here, it's breaking windows, car or otherwise, stealing things, throwing things in the lake, tearing down fences, that sort of thing. Not cool. Did you grow up in the MKE area? You must be a legend having all those people after you and never getting caught.

Nice here today, though only 60. Feels colder with the breeze. Don't know what it's supposed to be tonight, but I'm betting I'll need my all-weather clothes! Awful house people were wearing Halloween Tshirts today. Very festive.
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:06 PM

Mike, It's spose to freeze tonite up dis way
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well we have 'seafood' on the dinner menu tonight. Thought I'd share the special of the house with ya! Don't dem beans look suspiciously like hell a pee nyos??? Who's in for leftover KD?
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM

Allen that's some "see food" ya got there. Are we all invited?
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:35 PM
Always room for one more

Well good night to everyone. Time to head to work.

I successfully kept the trick or treaters away from the house by keeping the lights off and tucking all the cars close together so no one can really walk past them. The true test will be if nothing happens to the yard or cars while I'm gone. The only saving grace I have is that it's a school night and the little cherubs have to be in fairly early.

Long week this week. Hopefully I get a couple early nights and it won't seem so long. Of course my trip to Denver is next weekend so that will make things go fast since I won't be ready to go, and it will be too soon for the dogs to go back to jail. It will only be for two nights this time.

Allan those are some interesting hot dogs. With sculpting like that you could have your own Food channel show.

Here's a question that sort of goes off another thread about power steering pulleys. The smashed F85's ps pulley is all bent up, but the pump itself seems okay. Can I put a pulley from a later model GM car on this pump? Do they all mount the same or are there different designs?

Okay gonna go dodge the kiddies on the way out of the neighborhood. Have a great night everyone and remember it's almost Friday.
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:50 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi everyone. Wanted to check back in and let you know we survived hurricane Sandy. We had a lot of devastation here with flooding, tree damage, and about 950k people without electricity. That night the storm blew through you could see the transformers exploding around the neighborhood. An unbelievable sight. We do not have any power, cell phone reception, internet, heat etc. We were told 1-2 weeks before the power comes back. Uugh. Our house survived and we are fine so that is the important thing. Hope everyone else affected by this storm is doing ok.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:17 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Allan R
Scot - good solid advice. Most folks don't realize how much work and time goes into this type of resto.
Why thank you Allan, I try not to steer Sandy the wrong way when it comes to Teepo

Mike depending on the year and whether it has A/C and or short, med or long water pump is a factor of will the pulley line up. You may be able to use one from a later model and possibly up to the '70s may work. There should be a two letter code on the one you have and I would match it up that way.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:18 PM

Old Skl 69, good to hear that you made it through it ok.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:34 PM

Boo!

205lbs, 30" tall, 80" circumference, sitting on a dolly to save my back!
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:09 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Old Skl 69, good to hear that you made it through it ok.
X2 no doubt! That one was rough up there

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
205lbs, 30" tall, 80" circumference, sitting on a dolly to save my back!
Wow that's way cool!
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:21 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Hi everyone. Wanted to check back in and let you know we survived hurricane Sandy. We had a lot of devastation here with flooding, tree damage, and about 950k people without electricity. That night the storm blew through you could see the transformers exploding around the neighborhood. An unbelievable sight. We do not have any power, cell phone reception, internet, heat etc. We were told 1-2 weeks before the power comes back. Uugh. Our house survived and we are fine so that is the important thing. Hope everyone else affected by this storm is doing ok.
Man , real good to hear that everything is ok ! There are a lot of people that were not so lucky .
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Pat - of course y'all are. On the way be sure to get me one of them thar hogs!

Scot - I think I know you well enough to say you wouldn't give anyone bad advice. I hope Sandy gets the quality she's looking for. I know the prices can be scary.

Darrell - Very glad you're ok. This may sound dumb, but how do you guys manage without the basics of electrical? Saw file footage on the news and it looks like people waking around in knee deep water. They also talked about how the electrical failure affected refrigerated/frozen goods and clean water. Gov't called in the national guard to help? I think all the people there should be automatic contenders for the show "Survivor".

Dan - 205 lbs?? You like them short round broads named Dolly huh?
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:39 PM

You like them short round broads named Dolly huh?
yeh, she's my pumpkin! You should see her brother gourdy! yuk, yuk
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:51 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Hope everyone survived the ghouls.

John, Good luck with the new old wrench. He may have to get some maintenance caught up as a best guess for the misfire codes. The evap codes can be a real pain. My daughters celica has one, but she hasn't diagnosed it yet. we have to pull the muffler to get to the solenoids to test them. Supertramp FTW! Goodbye stranger is my favorite song.

Darrel, Hope everything dries out quickly and things get to normal.

Mike most pulleys can interchange as long as the diameter and depth are the same. some of the imports used a keyed shaft and pulley.

Allan, Hope your weather turns around as long as it doesn't make ours turn to crap.

Have a great Thursday all!
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:34 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All! Happy Nov. 1st!

Another rainy, wet, dark day here. I think I'm growing webs between my toes. Last Thursday was the last time we saw the sun. This is waaaaay old already. Temps in the 40's. The weatherman said last night we could have snow mixing in, and next week we can expect an inch or so of the crap.

I met Larry at the shop last night after work, and we went over to Beef O'Brady's and used those gift cards I got at the one show this summer. It was good. I only had to pay $4.00. So it was after 7 when we got home.

I'm gonna try to do some calling around today to upholsterers. If Brian doesn't stay here at lunch time, which I think he might. He did yesterday. Screws up my whole lunch hour. I really don't want him over hearing my business......

Darryl! Glad you checked in. Glad to hear you all survived the storm, I was worried!! So much destruction.... it's so sad. Hell hath no fury like a woman who has to put her car away for the winter, lol!

Clint.... Twinsburg's trick or treat is going to be this coming Sunday. Most places around here rescheduled it. Some had theirs last week. I never get any kids coming to the house. I don't know why. Been there since 1999 and not one kid.

Well guess I better do something. Where's Jamesbo??? You all have a good day and stay dry if it's possible!!
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:38 AM

Mawn'in all

I think we hit freez'in fer de fist time dis year last nite. I needs to find me a fat girl to keep me warm dis winter.

Darrell, Glad you're Ok. From watch'in de news, Lonk Island looked pretty messed up.

Allan, Dat's sum kinda wierdo meal ya gots there. Maybe I should send ya sum corn bread to round it out.

Last nite my mind got to wander'in 'bout what "creative" things Sandy could do with maniquins in her front seat to hide de small slit. Wish I could post sum of dem, Maybe I could send her an extra drive-in movie speaker I gots lay'in round and let her imagination got XXX wild.

Do any of y'all ever watch de Cajun Pawn Broker? Last nite he offered a guy $35,000 fer a 40' smoker/cooker trailer and de guy turned him down. He did buy a 60 sum'in Fleetwood hearse for his Halloween party an a Mack Firetruck.

Welp,

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:34 AM

Do any of y'all ever watch de Cajun Pawn Broker?
I do like watching it, but I tend to forget about it, and generally catch up on the repeats.
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:21 AM
Always room for one more

Happy All Saints Day everybody.

Last night at 1130 my neighbor calls and says, hey lets go out for breakfast when you get home from work. This is the same neighbor who won't go out of the house, sleeps all day, complains that he feels bad. I was shocked. I miss doing stuff with him so we went for a nice breakfast at 1030 this morning. I just got home. I'm going to be hating life this after noon when I only have 3 hours of sleep for work tonight. I'll deal with it.

So work wasn't so bad last night. It got down to 37 at the airport but I was working inside where it was nice and warm. Didn't care for having to stay till 930 but it worked out for breakfast. The gas man called me saying he wanted to get in the house to check out the extra line that runs through the crawl space. I said that's for a gas stove that I don't have, the line is capped. Been that way for years. So now I have heat in the house and the dogs are happy about that. They sleep curled up in such little bundles I don't know how such big dogs can do that.

Well the house and the neighborhood survived another Halloween. I was concerned for nothing. It doesn't look like anyone was by at all. I did hear some kids out when I was leaving for work, but no one was around my parts. I'm glad.

Okay! Gonna hit the sack and hope for the best. Sunny and a little breezy, but a nice day. Hope everyone has a good day as well.
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:30 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well.... I called Bedford Auto Trim and talked to a nice young man there about Teepo's seats. He gave me a number for Original Auto Interiors to call and ask about the material, as they are cheaper than SMS. So I called. Unfortunately, they are out of the material. Figures. Anyhow, the young man told me he would talk to his dad about doing the seats, see what it would cost me, yadda yadda... and I will call him back tomorrow and see what he says.

I also sent an email back to SMS and asked about that 1-1/2 yd. of material he said I would need, because I think it should be more than that. I'm waiting to hear back from him....

I'm having a nice hot bowl of leftover beef veggie soup that Larry made the other night, for lunch. It's good!! Gotta go out and walk in the rain..... again. Brian left, and I was excited. Then he came back.
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:07 AM

I watch Cajun Pawn.. I Like to see the different items.. I liked the rail road piece twisted.. I can't remember what he called it. .. something tie..

I also watch pawn stars.. american chopper and american restoration
I prefer the shows with some thing being built.. or shows history.. instead of who can outsing / dance someone else.. or who did what to whom and why shows..
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM

Sherman's neck tie. De [de bad guys in de blue uniforms ] would pull up RR track build a fire, stack the track on it an when it got red hot bend it around a tree/stump to prevent it from be'in reused.
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Sherman's neck tie. De [de bad guys in de blue uniforms ] would pull up RR track build a fire, stack the track on it an when it got red hot bend it around a tree/stump to prevent it from be'in reused.

Yes.. that is it..
and the one he had in was a "narrow rail" piece of track
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:06 AM

Fat girls brings back an old saying "warmth in the winter and shade in the summer". That's political correct isn't it?
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by crzyjef
Yes.. that is it..
and the one he had in was a "narrow rail" piece of track

Blue [for reason I never really understood hated it when this subject was brought up] But he's MIA

Yes, one of the problems with states rights is If you decide you want your RR rails a diffferent size than a neighboring state you just make them the size you want. However, it makes for a giant PITA when freight/people have to transfer trains at the state line because the rails don't match up.

I forget the exact number of different size rails in the south but it was quite a few