The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Always room for one more

Hey all.

Scot thanks for the tipoff so I didn't go out in public and then have my hopes crushed with everybody watching. Clint, you couldn't have put that any clearer.

I need to make an unscheduled trip to the Awful house. My buddy Johnboy called yesterday and wanted to use me as a reference at Title Pawn. He has to get money for Christmas. I said, why do you have to buy expensive things for Christmas if you don't have the money? He said, kids aren't as cheep as they used to be. I don't know what that means, and I don't know exactly how Title Pawn works, but I do know it's a hole he won't easily crawl out of. I'm going to try to talk him out of it.

Sandy I'm glad Nicole is going to be staying with you. Too bad about Emmitt. I guess life has hard lessons to learn sometimes. I hope she and Larry get along now.

Jamesbo that video never gets old.

Okay, gotta get ready for the day.
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:07 AM
NOVICE car nut

Blue Morning ....

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Well, It looks like dares gonna be sum snow pil'in up round Larry an Sandy's Neighbor's houses.
LOL !

Guess dare sing'in "Rocky Mountain High" in de rockies dis mawn'in.
I seen that to this morning , and after reading the article , all I have to say is .... uhhh .... Ahem .... What were we talking about ?

Like I always say, When I'm down, I watch dis video
That's too funny ! Also , look at the Megalodon shark link below that .

Originally Posted by CQR
Not much I can say. I better get to work, lots of programs to pay for.
Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Thanks Ohio

Did I mention
It seems the Mayans were only off by a month and a half !
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:45 AM

Unhappy Morning all

Well in answer to the election stocks fell triple digits Guess that's an indicator of the next 4 years. Small business and the middle class takes another hit. Think I'll go back to bed and pull the covers over my head.

Light rain here but the temp falls a little everyday
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:38 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Enough pseudo-politicing. We need the real results. Who is on what month in the 2013 All Oldsmobile Calendar? Hey Jerr what's the hold up. The cover was voted on on FBook and the results are in. We need more!

Adam
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Thanks Ohio
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:05 AM

Morning all

Jamsbo and others who like good food

Recipe time again. My wife and I go to a small cafe in a small town well know for there seafood. I have always liked this dish so asked the cook for the basic recipe. He would only give me the ingredients. So Jane and i experimented with them and came up with this.

Beach Cafe Cajun Shrimp. Basic recipe is for 2 generous servings increase quantities as necessary

3/4 lb medium shrimp vein's and tails removed
2-3 red potato's boiled until soft but slightly firm
1/2 cup fresh basil chopped fine (fresh is required here)
3 cloves minced garlic
1-shallot, diced
2-3 tablespoons real butter
1-Tbls Cajun seasonings

Melt butter in tall skillet and add garlic and shallots and saute. Add dice potatoes and shrimp and the Cajun seasoning. Cook until shrimp are pink and potatoes are warm. Add the fresh basil remove and serve with fresh green beans.

This is a outstanding quick meal.

Enjoy
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:21 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Thanks Ohio
As Drew Carey would say .... Cleveland Rocks ! , Cleveland Rocks !
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Does this look safe to you?

I think this is how Allan did his rear and gas tank.

Adam

Last edited by arodenhiser; November 7th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:22 PM
CQR

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Who in their right mind would put such low profile tires on those corvette rims thus allowing the possibility of damage from a harsh pothole?
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

We have our own depressing ways to cope with life here

If 'he who must not be named' caused this? I'm going after him and you'll have another election soon.

Welcome to Edmonton, the most thrilling and exciting City in the World where Nicola Boom Boom with sock you silly with the need to get out and breath that fresh air and exercise your arms n back.

De back deck coffee table will be waiting for awhile before I'm out there sipping a cuppa joe. Expect this to double by tomorrow mawnin... oh joy...

Deres a Sonata somewhere under that pile.... I went out and used the snowblower on 5 driveways and about 400 feet of sidewalk. Comes down as fast as you clear it. Not light and fluffy either. This is the heavy wet stuff

About 15" of "partly cloudy and cold tonight, with the chance of morning flurries"

Woke up at 0500 this mawnin and finished cleaning/vacuuming the garage. Had to take the snowman off Joanne's car. Then it got moved to the comfort of a nice warm garage. I still have to take all those old sheets off the 72. They were there just to keep the dust off while I was working on it. So the plan is to put the heater on, remove the sheets, clean the car with a damp sponge and microfibre cloth, then cover with the new car cover I bought in August. BTW, the diff and rear suspension went it without much of a fight. Learned the secret of 'how to' based on necessity. Oh yeah, gotta remember to drain the compressor.
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by arodenhiser
I think this is how Alan did his rear and gas tank.
Ouch! Adam that hurt. You wanna see how I did it? Go to my rebuild thread. I practice safe rear end procedures (how's that for being honest?) If you see it other than car stuff you might be a redneck.....
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM

Allen.

Yikes that white stuff is ugly. Hope you didn't jink the rest of use with those photo's
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Always room for one more

Allan! My brain hurts just looking at those pictures. Is that you on the right side of the second picture shoveling the street?

I was successful in talking my buddy out of Title Pawn. He said he knew how it worked, he had exhausted all the other avenues, and that it was a ripoff and he'd never get rid of it, and he was going to do it anyway. So I told him I'd loan him the money if he could wait until next week. He isn't the brightest but he works his backside off for his family and I just couldn't bear to see him get into that mess.

Speaking of safe rear end procedures, I have a shirt I got when I was a teen, that has a Purolator oil filter on it and Always Use Protection. My Mom refused to wash it, she said it was vulgar.
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ouch! Adam that hurt. You wanna see how I did it? Go to my rebuild thread.
Oh I am watching, I am subscribed. It provides the technical/mechanical entertainment for me. It's a nice refresh to real Olds stuff once I wade through the "my way" vs "your way" engine threads. I am jealous. I am watching closely the 41" bar you are trying to squeeze into you back end too.

I practice safe rear end procedures (how's that for being honest?)
I certianly hope so, see previous mention of that 41 inches.

I do apologize for misspelling your name. I know you are a double "l" Allan, it was an honest typo.

Addam
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Pat - Honest to God, I hope you only get the rain. Much easier to shovel...

Mike - No son! That's me taking the pic. I had just come in from snowblowing and thought I should document the novelty of a white Christmas early. That's Taylor out there. He's younger than me and has a stronger back. Shortly after this pic, Tim's daughter plowed into the cul de sac with her Honda and got stuck trying to turn into the driveway infront of the GMC truck. Was going to go out and help but there were already 5 others there with shovels. I headed for a nice hot shower. When I got out, the drive way had been shoveled and the car was no longer stuck. Supposed to be staying around 15 or 16 and windy for the next week so this is only going to get worse. Parking bans on bus routes and major roads should be going into effect in a couple hours.

Adam/Addam - that's funny! Lots of guys mispell my name = not the end of the world. Don't worry about it. You're jealous? Of what? You did a stunning job on Millie and I'm in envy especially of the interior work that I still have to do. I still have to do the engine/tranny in my car....

I don't think that 41" sway bar is going anywhere except to anyone who can use it - and that's not me. I wish I had the B.O.S. but it's been so long. Going to get either John, Scott or Eric to see if they have a fairly nice one I can buy from them. Another MAW to finish off the project in the spring. Thanks for subscribing to the thread. Hope you enjoyed it. I'll revive it in the spring because I still need to install the gas tank and rear bumper. If we hadn't been hit with 3 weeks of minus temps here, it would be done and I'd have fired her up to check the work!
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

What? No more Allan's build thread till spring?! That weather sure did not help! you got a huge amount done....Congrats and thanks for sharing in such detail.
I bought a stab bar from another member, and was going to use the imfo in your build thead to guide me along!

All have a good night.....

Ted
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:05 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Morning All. No smiley face this morning....

Well it is what it is. Nothing we can do about it now. We had hope for awhile..... God I am so embarrassed that I live in Ohio. But our state wasn't the only one full of idiots. What's wrong with these people????? I just don't get it. I did what I could do, and that's all I could do. I'd sure like to know how the employed tax paying working people in this state have been helped in the last 4 years. We sure haven't been.......

Well you all try to have a good day. Nothing we can do now but pray and complain, lol.

I here ya Sandy. I live in New York, think about how I feel! I got laid off 5 months ago, mostly due to the upcoming changes to our healthcare system. I was hopeful that a new direction would create more jobs.
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee
Hang in there Darrell... hope things improve rapidly. We feel your pain down here. Dat's crazy about the refusal to allow dem non-union power-line trucks to help. I know a bunch of Entergy trucks were staged up there before the storm even hit. The Entergy T&D guys might be actually unionized (electricians); but not sure. I know that most Entergy employees are not unionized.
I'd mention something about media bias and a lack of reporting during the election on any FEMA flubs or unresponsiveness; but that might be political.
Thanks, we are trying.

Responsiveness of FEMA and our local authorities has been fair to poor at best.

There are workers from other areas that have been allowed to help but they had to be willing to sign LIPA union paperwork. Those that would not sign it got sent home. Power is still out to a lot of people.

To make matters worse, it is 32 degrees outside, snowing hard and also with 40 mile an hour wind gusts. My kids school closed early today because power went out....again.

I actually found a station that had some gas today(80%+ still do not) and waited over an hour to fill up.
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sammy
What? No more Allan's build thread till spring?! That weather sure did not help! you got a huge amount done....Congrats and thanks for sharing in such detail.
I bought a stab bar from another member, and was going to use the imfo in your build thead to guide me along! All have a good night.....
Ted, thanks for the kind words.

Well, if I happen to get one during the winter that fits, I might just pull the beast away from the wall and install it. On the other hand, if you do your rear sway bar first, I'll learn from you! BTW, you have to put the weight of the car on the suspension to torque the sway bar too!

How hard can it be though to insert 4 bolts/nuts and shims? Just need a bar that's the right size. It was a fun project and you know it was fraught with delays and pitfalls along the way. I would do it all over again - only I would definitely start earlier.
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:21 PM

Good Evening everyone.

Darrell, sorry to hear about how things are going. I hope things improve quickly.

The only thing I can say about the election is that at least your politicians will be back to work before the provincial ones in Ontario. The Ontario Legislature should be back running sometime within the next 6 months I can go into details if any one is curious, but don't want to get too political.

Allan, good luck dealing with the snow. Looks like we may get back up to double digit temps (in Celcius of course) for a couple of days this weekend. Maybe I should put on my winter jacket, toque, gloves and take the Cutlass for a last drive this year (still now window )

Adam, I guess they were just too excited to get those Corvette wheels onto the Audi

Sandy, I hope things go well for Nicole. Oh and enjoy the sun... and ignore Allan's pictures.

The week is over half over. Hope everyone has a good second half to your week.
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:04 AM

Mawn'in all

A mite chili ere but spose to warm up latter in de day.

Pat, Thanks fer de recipe.Dat looks good. I used to make a Chicken Clemeseau dat was kinda sorta similiar.

Allan, Geeze Louise.........I don't see how y'all stand dat stuff.

Darrell,

Dat jes sucketh. Old LBJ used to say, "Sum times ya gotta be like a mule in a dust storm. Ya jes need to hunker down an wait til it blows over."
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:21 AM
CQR

Morning all, I figgured its about time someone had some good news, so here goes.

The sun is still gonna rise and we have each other to vent to.

Hope that helps.

Sandy, Sounds like there may be a little break in the war between Nicole and Larry? I hope for all of y'ins sake.

Have a day all.
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:31 AM

Morning all

Sure miss daylight savings time. Its as black as the inside of a cat out there and its 5:30 here on the left coast and it will be dark by 6:00 tonight. Can't tell what the weather is yet. Going to the "Thursday Night Garage Association" meeting tonight. Loose group of Hot Rod and collector car owners. A club without dues, rules, and everyone is a president. Around 400 members connected by e-mails. Several of us meet every Thursday at someones garage, shop, business usually have from 20 to as high as high as 60 cars and owners so up. During the summer months a few of the meetings attract up to 300+ hotrods. No women allowed. Lost of fun and good food always.

Have a great Thursday
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Cold and in the low 30's here this morning. Had heavy frost. Sun is supposed to come out later. We're gonna be in the high 60's this weekend! 70 possibly on Sunday!!!!

Citcapp..... I hear ya. The sun was setting at 5:08 last night when I was driving home. It sucks, lol. I schelped Halloween containers back out to the garage with all the yard lights on so I could see what I was doing. I bet Ohio Edison loves this time of year when we have to use all the lights!

Darrell..... I'm thinking of you all. It sucks that now you're getting snow on top of everything else! My heart goes out to all of you over on the right coast!

Paul.... I am ignoring those pics Allan R posted.... I don't like them!

Clint... thanks. They've been getting along for awhile now, but have been apart while doing it, lol. We shall see......

I'm going to Home Depot at lunch and buying some boxes to pack Nicoles stuff in. Then after work I'm heading to her house and start packing. Not gonna be a fun night.

I want to look at my 401k this morning, but I'm afraid to. What little bit I have in there.... I can't think about it.

Brian is back today and talking up a storm over here on the phone. I turned on the fan a while ago. I think Steve and Clay keep turning the thermostat up a little each day. I'll turn it down at lunch....

I gotta call Bedford Trim today and see if they got the pics I emailed them so I can see if they can help me or not.

Well you all have a good day.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:27 AM
GM Enthusiast

Darrell,

Dat jes sucketh. Old LBJ used to say, "Sum times ya gotta be like a mule in a dust storm. Ya jes need to hunker down an wait til it blows over."
You're right Jamesbro. Nothing else to do other than hope for the best. I have a job interview on Monday, which is a miracle since there are no jobs around to be found.

Sandy- Thanks, we are ok. The storm dumped 4 inches of heavy wet stuff on us, and knocked out power again to many places. My kids elementary school is closed today due to no power. There is still 200k residents here without it and it is freezing. I pray that they get power soon.

Did not want to look at my 401k either, Wall Street voted yesterday and it's not pretty.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Take two. Nah, lost a few paragraphs because my keyboard is being funny. So have a good one everyone I'm off to bed.
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning all
Daylight savings has one advantage. The morning drive isn't dark as long as it used to be. And the snow reflects light so it seems even brighter.

Graeme needed a ride in today - bus service is 25 minutes delayed. Traffic was crawling because not many up here use winter tires. Stupid huh? Live in a winter city and use summer tires all year long. Felt like stopping and giving them all their 'signs'. Got Goodyear Nordic ice radials on all 4 corners of our cars. Put that together with some good driving skills and you can go almost anywhere. Course peeps up here only think they have good driving skills. Watched one of them slide down a hill sideways yesterday with all 4 wheels locked and the driver frantically turning the steering wheel side to side. Funny as hell to watch. No damage - just a short 20 foot slide. Maybe time to go home and change de ol undies?

Like Clint says - the sun comes up and life goes on.

Sorry if those pics upset y'all. This is what makes us northern folks appreciate days when it's 40° - you know - bathing suit weather.

Jamesbo - I can hunker down fer de winter. But also its a great time to hit de cross country trails and go ice fishing. I think the hockey season up here is officially dead. Didn't see anything positive from the last meeting of de minds. At least I still got several curling leagues; and the Tim Horton s Brier will be here in March!
Old November 8th, 2012, 02:20 PM
GM Enthusiast

Allan,

I like those flurries you got there. I guess boom boom got that one wrong.
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Darrell - anytime you want to come up and enjoy them, you're welcome to.

Been a somewhat dreary winter day. Graeme is staying late at college to catch up on some of the material he missed yesterday. Probably won't get finished before the bus service to our area finishes for the day. So that means another trip out onto the streets of "Mayhemton". Have to say I'm really impressed with how well the Sonata handles this crap.

Mike - you should be having no problems at all. Isn't that a new puter?

John - you know you're gonna be adopting that kitty. BTW, I need to unpack that car cover I got from Big Sky and put it on the 72 for the winter. I think she'll like wearing that new coat.
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Always room for one more

Evening everyone.

Great day for sleeping. The dogs left me alone until 2, got up and it was sunny and 60. Nice night, too, but is gonna get down in to the 30s. Brr!

Allan it was actually operator error. I'm using the cheezy keyboard that came with the new computer, and my finger grazed some button that did something, and when I went to correct it the screen changed and there went my message. I think this keyboard is 3/4 size of a regular one.

Okay off to it. Everyone have a great evening. Friday awaits!
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:23 PM

60 Minutes

Last summer I talked about 60 Minutes coming through and filming a segment on Alcoa, where I work, HWC (Howmet Whitehall Castings), it will be airing this Sunday, the 11th.
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:00 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Dreamt Oldsmobiles last night. Musta been the shot of Kraken the Mrs. and I had last night.
Seems Me and the Mrs./ lived in an apartment complex and as we got Brittney out to go to the mall we had a buncha 442's in the neighborhood.

There was a Dark blue 76' 4 door, and an 82 wagon.

Just looked at the walk around Vid of Vinny's 65. Nice looking car. Are 4 rows of hood louvers factory?

No snow yet, but its spose to be about 17F at race time on Sunday
Looks to me like I need to go buy some over the boot pants.

Ted, you gonna be in it?

Allan, This 'material' that Graeme is catching up on, does she have a name?

Well, I found a skidsteer I'm interested in. Located in Eastern NE. Nobody has e-mailed me back yet.

x-mas shipping season is kicking in, the kid worked a double yesterday, started work @ 3:45a.m. and got home at 5:30 yesterday evening. Today she has a double and then goes to her bussing job at the shrine. I hope she stays well these next 2 months.

Well, Have a great day
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Cold and frosty here this morning. Temps in the low 30's. Supposed to get nice later on.

Steve is off today so it's nice. Brian came in at 8:10 - he's always later than usual when Steve isn't here.

I went to Nicole's after work and packed about 10 little boxes. I got home about 9:30 last night. I am tired. I guess the land lord did receive a check for the rent and asked Nicole if she wanted to stay, but she figured it's best to get out and not have to worry month to month.

I have to call the animal shelter today and see how much it's gonna cost to get rid of her 3 cats and unfortunately, Emmett. God, he's such a good dog! He is so timid. He just lays in a corner and you never even see him. He doesn't even bark! My heart hurts to have to give him away. I hope they can find a home for him and won't have to kill him. She wanted to keep him over at our rental house - there is a kennel built onto the side of the garage over there, it's all wire. But it's open, no shelter from the wind and snow. I suppose tarps could be hung up and lots of straw put down. I talked to our renter's wife and she wouldn't mind. Larry about blew a gasket when I mentioned it to him though. It boils down to Nicole doesn't need a dog. Period.

Hard to believe it's gonna be Thanksgiving week after next already! I have the Christmas spirit of a rock, lol. I will be going to Wal Mart t'giving evening though for the first of their sales. I really don't think there are any bargains. I think they all raise prices then discount them....

Clint..... very happy to hear your daughter is working so good! Wish mine was, lol.

Well you all have a good day when ya wake up!
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Every drag out a new dining room rug out of a Suburban in the frigg'in dark? Move all the din'in room furniture around befoe ya gets to choke down one cup of coffee?

I need to get the Super model sum drugs. Manic mov'in Friday.

Ya see she's hav'in a bridal shower on Sunday fer her 3rd brothers 2nd wife [twice removed] or sum'in like dat. I see a trip out of town in my near future. Nope, I'm not gonna give ya'll my forward'in address.
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Every drag out a new dining room rug out of a Suburban in the frigg'in dark? Move all the din'in room furniture around befoe ya gets to choke down one cup of coffee?

I need to get the Super model sum drugs. Manic mov'in Friday.

Ya see she's hav'in a bridal shower on Sunday fer her 3rd brothers 2nd wife [twice removed] or sum'in like dat. I see a trip out of town in my near future. Nope, I'm not gonna give ya'll my forward'in address.
Bottle of your favorite hard beverage and the lake house?
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Bottle of your favorite hard beverage and the lake house?
Mind reader
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Always room for one more

Morning everyone.

Strange night last night. I spent all night moving everything out of the bay for a "dedication" of a plane to the Delta employees that are or have been in the military. We won some sort of award not long ago for military charters and supporting the military. I'm guessing this is where it all stems from. The party is over at noon, I hope everything is put back by the time I get to work this evening.

Got home this morning and smelled gas in the house. Oddly enough there was an Atlanta Gas Light truck parked next to my neighbors. I went to ask him about it. He said sometimes if the burner doesn't light quick enough, it shuts down and the gas that's been put out is sucked into the house. Well I went back in and had to fiddle with the thermostat to get the furnace to come on, and when it did the smell went away. There is no place for gas to come into the house otherwise so that puzzled me.

Sandy what kind of a dog is Emmitt? Maybe you could advertise locally instead of taking him to the pound. Dogs don't do well there. And please don't put him on the free list of craigslist. The animals that show up there have no hope that's for sure. And neither do their owners. Craigs does have a pet list that I've heard works okay.

Clint I want a 442 wagon and 4 door. I saw a 4 door Hurst Olds once. Well, in a picture. Built especially for one Mr. Tony Hullman in 1974 when the Hurst Olds paced the Indy 500.

That time to hit the sack. Up to 68 today, I'll probably see it a couple times with the dogs. Have a great day all.
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:01 AM

We have the Noah Project here, a no kill shelter, they do everything to place an animal.
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
We have the Noah Project here, a no kill shelter, they do everything to place an animal.
There's a "No kill Shelter" de [manic] super model werks at near by. Sandy, I'd check around
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM
NOVICE car nut

its a great time to hit de cross country trails and go ice fishing.
I'd love to go ice fishing ! I found out it's a lot of work when your older . We use to do a lot of Walleye , and Pike fishing using Tip-ups . We invented a light system for night time , utilizing old christmas light bulbs , and a 9-volt battery . When the flag would go up , it would hit a wire , and the light would go on . I can take a pic of it if interested .

edit .... The christmas light bulb was far brighter then the mercury switch lights they sold in the stores , but you would have to use a partially used up 9-volt so you didn't blow out the christmas light bulb .... plus the light was up at the end of the flag pole , so it wasn't shinning down in the hole you drilled to spook off a potential catch . ( Walleyes spook easy ) We also put a spinner blade with some beads in front of it on the leader , so it would clang around on the eye of the single hook when the minnow would swim around .... Great for attracting Pike !

Last edited by oldsguybry; November 9th, 2012 at 09:51 AM.