The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2014, 04:56 AM

Mawn'in all

"Peach Drop"

Mike, Have you lost your mind? Please tell me you're gonna watch it on TV and you're not going downtown to mingle with the unwashed masses.

Actually de last time I was downtown was wit you and Sandy and John et al

Happy new Year Olds friends
Old December 31st, 2014, 07:04 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy New Year!~

Hi, y'all.... Good to hear the continuing saga, Sandy. I had a lot to catch up on dis mawnin'.
Loved the Wales/whales joke, Clint! Best LOL in a while. You had me for a minute. ;-)
Havin' some neighbor friends over tonite for lasagna (better half's famous recipe). No peach drop for us, Mike! I'm kind of inclined to respond a la Jamesbo -- and especially since you aren't feelin' up to snuff: Are you serious?
Whelpt, there's big trouble in Paradise: Aunt Carmy shot herself in the foot and read her benefactors the Riot Act; I don't think my brother & S-I-L will be keeping her after the new year. We need to find alternative living arrangements, and the options are limited at best. I'll keep y'all posted when we get back to the Plantation. But she's already declined our invitation to stay with us; so it will be interesting (and sad for all involved), to say the least.
So again, Oldsmofriends, have a safe, happy, and prosperous New Year!
Old December 31st, 2014, 07:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Rocketeers

Plenty of leftovers if any of you are hungry. Looks like it will be only the missus and me tonight fer New Year's Eve. I'm with Jim about going downtown for the ring in.

Clint, everything here is cable. I keep the Internet with one company and change the TV and phone to another. I do get HD service - 217 channels of it plus the standard SD selections. Phone is digital too and routed through cable system. I can actually get call display for the phone on the TV. LOL funny-looking forward to chatting witchu next year.

Mike, FWIW I'm one of those guys who doesn't cause you any problems on de planes. I also seem to run into a lot of IROP sits. Just I call them something else.

John, Sorry to hear about Aunt Carmy. Gotta stay clear of her when she's packing!

Nice warm day shaping up. Time for brekkie and koffee. Enjoy your day and New Year's Eve.
Old December 31st, 2014, 05:52 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone, just wanted to say hi and wish everyone a Happy New Year!
Old December 31st, 2014, 07:19 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening All!

We actually had SUN here today!!!! It was a cold 24* after an 18* start, windy in the afternoon so it felt colder. But the sun was nice.

We got out of work at noon, which was nice. I went and saw Bob at the body shop and took him his Olds calendar. Seems my friend just had to have a stint put into one of his heart arteries! He said he had chest pains last Saturday. Found out this artery was 95% blocked. In 2 months, he has to have another stint put in an artery on the other side, it's 75% blocked. Poor guy! He's only 47. But he gets really stressed out and he doesn't eat right. Well he is now! He dropped 10 lbs. already. He has to watch the sodium now of course, and he's eating healthy. I was so upset when he told me! I told him to listen to Joel too, he will calm him down when he's stressed. He likes Joel. I enjoyed our visit.

I got home around 3 and started taking down the lighted deer and trees and such out of the yard. Had to use some hot water and pour on some of the posts holding them in the frozen ground. Some came right out, others were frozen. Larry came home after 4 and helped me. I put everything out here in the house garage. Tincanio is outside tonight. Tomorrow I'll get my cart and start schleping things back out to the other garage and put them away. Gotta vacuum in here, the carpet is covered in glitter and tree needles and all sorts of dirt. We have to work Friday.

Larry went to bed at 8:30. Don't know if he'll get up later to watch the ball drop or not, lol. I'm going to try to stay awake. Have to make kraut and poke tomorrow.

Testing went well at the clinic yesterday. Was at work by 1:00. I told them all about the heart palpitations and they didn't seem worried. So that was good. Thank God the lady knew what she was doing when she took blood! My arm is a mass of bruises from those folks last week.....

Heart doc's office called yesterday afternoon. Wanted to do a stress test on the 8th. Told her I have surgery on the 7th, so I'm not going to be able to do any running for a long time, lol. She called back and set it up for Monday morning. Stress echo test. I'll go in to work afterwards. I'm sure my heart will be fine - it always is when I'm being tested, lol. It will start flopping after I'm done...

Well I better get off here. Hope you're all having a safe New Years eve! It's going to be a blessed and healthy 2015!! Talk to you next year!!
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:26 AM

Happy New Year everyone!
Old January 1st, 2015, 05:10 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili ***** dis 1st day of 2015

Got to get cook'in de greens and blacked eyed peas and corn bread

Gotta see how many New years resolutions make it thru day one.
Old January 1st, 2015, 05:49 AM
Always room for one more

Happy New Year everyone.

Watched the Peach drop from the comfort(and safety) of my own living room. No way would I get into all that mess downtown. Finally went to bed around 130, after most of the gunshots and fireworks stopped. The dogs of course thought the world was ending.

Frost on the pumpkin today. Don't think it's gonna warm up too much, but the sun is out. When I get back from the Awful house I need to start forming up parts of the wall and see if I can get some concrete poured.

Here's to the start of an exceptional year. My resolutions never get made. Hm, maybe I should try it.

Time to get going. Have a great day everyone.
Old January 1st, 2015, 08:49 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Happy New Years Oldsmofriends

Mike you may need to replace that switch. I wouldn't bypass it because it is there as a safety precaution just in case the flames aren't where they are supposed to be. Sounds like it may be worn out or if the flames are venturing out of the venturi then there is a reason, such as a cracked heat exchanger. That would be cause to replace the furnace if so.

Beautiful day here to start the New Year. Gotta go soak up some rays before the rain comes back. Catcha on the flipside
Old January 1st, 2015, 08:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The first morning of 2015!! Doesn't feel any different than any other mawnin.

Very late get up today, musta been those 2 extra large Caesers last night. Lucky me no hangover.

Unseasonably warm here right now wit temps at 35*. Seasonal average for now is usually around -5. Snow is on the way with forecast for around 8".

Jim, why even bother wit resolutions. Dey aren't worth nothin in de first place.

Mike, good to here you and the pups survived the end of the world.

Dan/Paul, HNY to you to.

Cint, hope this one is better for you and your bride than last year. Sometimes I just wish I could go back in time sometimes?

Gotta drive de boys GF home today. Some things just won't change, like getting a steaming hot kuppa koffee and hoping y'all will enjoy your day.
Old January 1st, 2015, 08:52 AM

Happy New Year !! Had dinner with friends, about 10 of us, then got together afterwards at my buddies house, where a few more joined us. I had a buddy pick me up as i had one headlight out (the one that didn't go out a year ago), I didn't want a cop to have any reason to pull me over, but I only had three drinks over a period of eight hours.
Old January 1st, 2015, 09:06 AM

Good New Year's morning everyone!

Can't believe I'm actually up already and have been for a while. Was at a party until 3:00am last night. Had a great time and great food. Potlucks are always good.

Mike, how about a resolution to make a resolution for next year?

Allan, can you send some of that warmer weather this way? I miss it. Temperatures have dropped back down below freezing here. But we pretty well don't have any snow left except for very small piles here and there. I can't remember the last time it was like this in December or January. Is it wrong that I am not hating it though? The warm temperatures were nice. I even know a couple of people who took their classic cars out for a spin recently.

Jim, I'm sure you can keep at least one.

Have a great day everyone!
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Paul, sure thing. It's on the way and you should be getting it via Canada Post in 5-7 business days! When you're done with it, ship it back our way or forward it to someone who needs it more than we do.

Scot - Enjoy those rays brother! BTW I musta said something to the missus that she didn't understand cause she's sure pi$$ed at me right now. I can't for the life of me think of what it is. And of course she won't tell me - just says 'think about it'. Well, not gonna waste anymore time thinking about nothin.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:04 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan. Back in time? Yea. there are a few 'eras' I'd like to revisit (or visit the first time). I hope the missus forgives you for being a guy. I hate it when that happens.

Paul you made more of the day than we did. It was rough. We finally drug our butts out of be at 1:30 p.m. I did get up at 4(an hour after hitting the sack) to feed the mules. I'm sure glad we don't party like that very often. I don't think my liver was bright and shiny yesterday. Changed from my pj's to my sweats and that was as much ambition as I got yesterday.

Scot I hope the daughter finds whats she's looking for. and I hope its close to home.

Mike, I don't make resolutions that way they don't get broken. I just make a list of 'suggestions' on what to improve for myself.

Hope everyone has a great day. Headed to work for a day then we'll reopen the shop on Monday. Can't wait for A1 tomorrow night. Should be interesting with RV and JS7 out of the mix.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Rocketeers

Looks like we're in for a bit of weather. Snowfall warning in effect for the next two days. Temps are down and wind is swirling causing a lot of drifts too.

Looks kinda ghost town like here on this thread. Oh well I've got some werm steak frying on de stove.

Koffee, krisp wem steak an toast. Enjoy your day.

EDIT, hey Clint! Cmon over, it's your steak now and close to done.

Last edited by Allan R; January 2nd, 2015 at 04:09 AM. Reason: fix stupid auto korrect
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:26 AM

Mawn'in all

Elsie is ere

Allan, Sorry, Dat happens to me sum time but I jes act like a mule in a dust storm. Hunker down til it blows over

Recently, I read sum good marital advice. "When you're about to criticize de better have, jes think of what your flaw[s] are and how to improve dem. "

Mike, What I know 'bout HVAC wouldn't fill a thimble but on several occasions, I've axed Scot fer advice. He's never led me wrong. IMHO I'd listen to him.

My house in Milton is a standing [barely] example of what so $hitty contractors can do.

BTW, Did da serve poke, blackeyed peas, corn bread and collards at de Awful house yesterday?

GTG head to de hills wit Red Dog. I may be lost w/o receiving any directions from de Super model fer a few hours
Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

More frickin' rain. I thought it wasn't supposed to show up until Friday, but it's here now. Guess it's inside stuff for me today.

Jamesbo you're right, I will heed Scot's advice and not bypass this switch. It seems to be doing okay for now, but I am going to start planning for a new furnace. The current one is 14 years old, pretty old I'd say for a not terrific quality machine.

Allan how's the cold front?

John how's Aunt Carmy? Anyone made any plans yet? When are you headed back?

I suppose I should get things started. Late Awful house and Walmart. No greens yesterday. Even if they were serving them, they'd have been out of them. The manager there is not one for keeping food items in stock. When I go for lunch or supper I like to have a piece of chocolate pie. Rarely if ever is there any. For breakfast I like oatmeal. Sorry, we're out. Please tell me how a restaurant with a printed menu can be out of anything on a regular basis? I've threatened to call the main office on them, I might just do it. The manager is an okay guy, but he sucks as a manager.

Okay have a good day everyone. Friday.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:21 AM

Eggo's & coffee, then back to work for one day, holiday pay.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:14 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim/Clint - yeah I'm weathering both storms right now. The mule thing sounds like a good idea.

Mike - It's making its presence known. The drive is currently buried under a foot or so. Still coming down and wind hasn't let up. The installer called in sick so no telling when someone will show today. They called and said anywhere up to 5:00 pm. That just sux.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:03 AM
Always room for one more

Actually Allan I wasn't asking about the weather. At least it won't snow inside the house.

Looks like the rain has settled in for the day. When I'm king, rain will need a permit. Gonna get out the paint brush and continue in the new living room. Unless of course I turn on the TV then I'm done for the day.

Our holiday pay used to be double time and a half. It was a good way to get people to come to work instead of using their holiday, that way they weren't short people. Now it's regular time and a half and no one will come in to work and they are short all the time. Wonder what's better, paying your people a little more or having airplanes not making their flights.

Went to the Post Office this morning and the guy ahead of me reached out to get his changed and then dropped it. The postman helped look around for all the coins and the guy got mad and said it was thrown at him and he wanted to see the manager. The postman said, I'll give it to you again but next time it's on you. Don't reach across the counter. The guy got all mad and said, you're just trying to steal from me. Oh, the postman got all torqued and took a dollar out of his pocket and said here I'll give you my own money, don't call me a thief, now get the hell on! Such drama, I think he was missing a dime.

Okay see ya's.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Oh, that cold front. Hope it warms up somewhat today. Sometimes it has a nasty habit of having around like a bad cold. Sorry to hear about the jerk at the post office. People like that are what cause shootings. DONT turn on the TV.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:18 AM

Mike, I would ax ya to bring de pups to de mountains ta meet Red Dog but we jes finished off de las of de knockworst. Got a fire go'in an plan'in on do'in nutt'in den rest up sum
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:25 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo you gotta rest up from doing nothing? I can see that. We are in the middle of a cleaning frenzy here. The MAWs aren't just limited to working on the car. Haven't broken out the paint brush yet but I got the heat cranked up so the paint will be a little easier to work with.

The rain stops and then it starts. Been going on like this all afternoon. Even heard some thunder. Now it's just mocking me.

Okay break is over.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jamesbo you gotta rest up from doing nothing?

Yep, It's an aquired art form kinda............ Zin like

Ya really do need to get up ere whilst de lake is down so you can examine de sea walls. Sum of des Holtanta folks what gots more money dan sence build de Taj Mahal of sea walls up ere.

Wouldn't want ya to build and infeior seawall an ruin de neighborhood.

Coarse sum of des folks would come out cheaper if de had jes parked der Rolls Royce don't next to de lake insted of try'in to impress their neighbors with exotic sea walls and crazy boat houses.

Me, nope, my shore line is au natural jes like it was when I was a pup up ere, before it became a "fashionable" retreat fer de rich and stupid.

I'm might even let ya cart home a beat up canoe [from shoot'in de Hooch side ways too many times]
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:16 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening All! :

Had another day with sun though it was weak, and it got up to 34*!

Quiet at work today. Emails weren't coming in, phones weren't ringing. I got Steve's filing done. It was nice with just Clay and I. My last day of freedom from Brian. Now we won't get another paid day off until Good Friday in April.

Clay told me to leave at 3 so I did! Came home and cleaned the breezeway. Swept the floor and shook the rugs. It looks much better without containers everywhere.

Larry and I went shopping tonight. Didn't need a whole lot. Ate at Chick Fil A! Yummy...

Hoping we don't get freezing rain in the morning, it's supposed to rain all day, snow and cold to come in Sunday. Gonna be only in the teens next week and single digits at night. Welcome to January in NE Ohio....

Well I'm tired so I'm gonna head to bed early tonight, lol. Talk to ya later!
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:42 PM

Hoping we don't get freezing rain in the morning, it's supposed to rain all day, snow and cold to come in Sunday. Gonna be only in the teens next week and single digits at night.
Yep, expecting the same up this a ways....brrrrr!
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:01 PM

Awe man, Elle May died. https://tv.yahoo.com/news/beverly-hi...185933206.html
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:05 AM

O dark thirty in de mountains

Rats, dat makes me feel old. I arranged my college classes so I could watch the Beverely Hill Billies and Hollywood Squares "Donkey Fazoo"
Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Rocketeers

Well de installer did show yesterday around 10 am which wasn't too bad. Nice enough guy but doesn't know how to shut de front door and it was cold outside. After he left I found we had no internet and after looking at his 'install' by the electrical panel box I spotted the problem. The had pulled the power feed to the Internet modem so he could hook up the main modem for the TVs. Hooked it up and alls good. Called him up though and gave him what for.

Today is frikken cold here. Without wind chill it's -15*F and with windchill it's a numbing -31F. Hope the cars start ok because they're not plugged in. Fer you in the heat belt, that's a reference to block heater, which you probably don't have.

Gotta go out and deliver a parcel in a bit so I best fuel up wit some nectar o de Gods - hot kuppa koffee.

Enjoy your day.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:57 AM

Allan, Ya ain't gonna beleive dis but a few years ago, Not too fer from where my place is in de mountains] I looked at a 69 4 speed drop top dat had de paper werk wit it. It had a frigg'in block heater [if I read de code right] Can't remember what it is/was

VERY nice car but wanted too much fer it IMHO. He said he was tak'in it to Hershey if I didn't buy it
Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

K05- Engine Block Heater. Pretty much standard up here back in the day but still a charge item. Still is, but now it's more of a dealer install I believe.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 12:03 PM

Thanks, Ya don't see many round ere KO5 Let's see if I can remember dat
Old January 3rd, 2015, 02:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

First night back. Getting a little foggy out, the temp is going up tonight, only because of more frickin' rain.

Allan my Dad put a block heater on our Dodge van when we bought it. He was all bent because it wouldn't fit in the garage, so the block heater was to help it start on really cold mornings. Funny, with it tucked up against the garage it wasn't all that different than being in the (non heated) garage. Eh, Mom had instant heat so she was happy. My 81 Mercedes had a block heater. I plugged it into see if it would work and it tripped the breaker after about 10 minutes.

I saw that Elly May had died. She looked just as sweet as when she was on TV. Wonder how long she had to practice that accent.

Went to Walmart this afternoon and I swear everyone there was in a party of four or bigger. I don't understand why grocery shopping has to be a family event. When I was a kid I thought it was a big thrill to go to the store with my Mom, and she never would let me. Now I know why. And because every time she'd turn around I was putting cookies or whatever into the cart and then she'd get mad.

Jamesbo when is your lake going back up?

Okay out with the dogs and then to work. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 06:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - Block heaters come in various configurations. I put one into my 83 Regency Brougham that was like a pre heat for the coolant. It was a circulating type built into the line that feeds the thermostat. The idea was it kept the coolant hot enough to flow and keep the stat open. Kept the block nice and toasty and sure as heck I had heat in the cabin within a minute of startup. And that's with Tempmatic AC too! Apparently they are still popular with some vendors. Looks something like this
Old January 3rd, 2015, 07:54 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hey everyone. Busy week of work, spent a lot of time in Brooklyn and Queens. I'm not sure what takes longer, getting through the traffic or finding parking spots. Making progress with setting up new accounts, this should be a better year for business. Just have to keep plugging away.

Allan - we'll be joining you in the frozen tundra here on Monday.

Just sitting here watching my Steelers trying to give the game to the Ravens tonight. Hope they'll pull out a win but it's not looking to good.

Have a good night all.
Old January 4th, 2015, 05:39 AM

Mawn'in

Wet in de mountains [and home] so It's look'in like a "cart path only slosh'in round Monday on de course

Mike, I think de lake is gonna start rising around de 1st of March. Ya need to bbring de pups up ere. De'll get good and muddy

Need any Gawga Ice Cream? I'm gonna go by Nora's Mill on de way home.
http://www.noramill.com/

Enjoy de rest of de weekend Olds friends
Old January 4th, 2015, 05:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning Rocketeers

LOLA, the ads at the bottom now have block heaters.

Really loving this new Optik TV system. Right now I'm watching the World Junior hockey game , 1/4 final between Canada and Denmark. I set the program to record as it started at 04:30 am. 2-0 for us after the 1st period. Picture quality (HD) is absolutely stunning.

Tonight I'm back to my league curling and can't wait!

Fresh pot just brewed, time fer a nice hot slurp! Enjoy your day.
Old January 4th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, don't ax me how but I knew ya wood post Jess afore me. Hope de werm treats ya right. Tomorry ya shood be able to collext a passle of em on a sloshy course.
Old January 4th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

What an absolutely amazing game! Canada owned the ice all the way with a final score of 8-0.

Mike, we were talking about service provider costs/pricing a while back. The new setup I contracted for saves me $1520.80 over a 3 year term. That's no small potatoes, and I also get free HDPVR units for all 3 TVs. When I took the modems from the old vendor back yesterday they still had their records screwed up. The guy told me that even after I returned the modems I still had all their services! WTH? Got that straightened out on the spot and a printout showing the modem returns, service deletion, and zero balance owing to them. Their lack of customer service/pricing is the reason I decided to leave. It's really nice to have options.

EDIT: holy yikes! Just saw the mawnin news weather and its -30 here. Spoda warm up to -21 later. CAnadian weather Huh? Gotta luv it.

Last edited by Allan R; January 4th, 2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old January 4th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day to sleep. I mean really, not much going on. Rained like a mother last night, glad I was inside. Got home to find that my girl had clawed the hell out of the walls and the metal walls and cut her feet up pretty good. I don't understand why she keeps at it if it hurts. Today she could hardly walk and I'd carry her around. I've been giving her some pain medicine I had left over from my boy from awhile ago, if she doesn't feel better in the morning I'll take her to the vet. It's getting harder and harder to protect them from themselves.

Allan I'm getting ready to dump the whole thing. Anything I watch on TV I can see on the internet, and I can go to the library to see the internet, or to a lesser extend, I can see it at work. I can think of better things to spend 136 bucks on every month.

Jamesbo the dogs do a very good job getting muddy at home. My plan is to ditch what's left of my carpeting and put in all tile, so I can get one of them steaming machines and clean a lot easier.

Darrell I drove past Queens once and saw a cemetery that stretched on as far as you could see. Drove past Brooklyn once, just saw some old buildings.

Okay work. Night 2. Hope everyone's week starts out good tomorrow. No longer and IROP.