The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2024, 05:29 PM
Running On Empty

I have a VERY difficult time eating just a little of any type ice cream.
Old February 3rd, 2024, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I have a VERY difficult time eating just a little of any type ice cream.
Right there with ya pardner!
Old February 3rd, 2024, 06:00 PM

Haven't posted a pic of these two hoodlums in awhile. Maggie decided to put a beat down on big Brother Monty tonight and he didn't like it much. She's a 55lb. load!

Old February 3rd, 2024, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
No cheese, just ketchup, mustard, pickle, and onion, dont want to mask the taste of the beef.
I find that hilarious. Seriously, you think it’s the cheese that will mask the flavor of the meat?
Old February 4th, 2024, 03:14 AM

There's a great burger. Joint in an old country store near my home only problem is they are 20 bucks
Old February 4th, 2024, 06:58 AM

Hi guys from Flora-bama. Yep we came down here for the whole month of Feb. Got a VRBO place, pretty cool but pricey. It is built up 10 ft. on big 12 x 12 poles! Lots of huffin & puffin bringing in groceries and stuff.... Right on Perdido Beach on the water, looks across to Orange beach strand. Today is cloudy and about 60, yesterday was sunny and about 75- beautiful! Traffic was pretty good except for Ky/Tenn border on I65. Was in a traffic jam for 1 1/2-2hrs. Buddy absolutely hated the trip down- All hunkered up with his tail between his legs and drooling. That was with his thunder coat and a pill from vet for travel anxiety. I think on way back we might have one of us sit with him in back seat. If he is on one of our laps he will calm down and go to sleep.
Old February 4th, 2024, 07:07 AM

Love that area of the world wonderful sea food
Old February 4th, 2024, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hi guys from Flora-bama. Yep we came down here for the whole month of Feb.
Hey Greg - I was wondering where you'd snunk off to. Glad you were able to get out of that Michigan icebox for awhile and enjoy some warm weather. Sorry Buddy had such a tough trip down though. Hope he has a better trip home. Be safe buddy!
Old February 4th, 2024, 09:03 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Wonderful. Enjoy your month of sunshine.
Old February 4th, 2024, 09:50 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Greg I envy you. Being on vacation for a month. Sounds wonderful I hope you enjoy it.

Not much in the line of news. It's been nice the last few days but now it's going to rain. Gonna work in the guest bedroom at Mom's, visual progress at best but it doesn't seem to work on itself. Trying to talk a friend of mine to come visit for a couple days and try to get some things outside moved.

Question for the technical types. What is a good type of Go Pro-type camera to stash in my car? I thought I'd hide one behind the mirror so I couldn't see it, but it could look forward. I wouldn't mind having one looking aft, either. How do you get the video off it? Can you have sound/no sound? I wouldn't want to have it record me cursing the traffic. Will it run on a loop and eventually tape over itself?

Chris the house is coming along. I forgot if you said you lived there with your ex-wife or if you moved there after you got divorced. I used to blame my not doing work on the house on not having the energy or capability. Now I do have those but I still don't do it. I guess I just need to focus or change my way of thinking a little.

Jamesbo that doesn't seem so out of line these days. Heck a Big Mac is like 6 bucks I think. I remember when they were 89 cents, and came in the paper box before they came in styrofoam.

Okay gonna do something. Hope everyone has a good afternoon.

Old February 4th, 2024, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris the house is coming along. I forgot if you said you lived there with your ex-wife or if you moved there after you got divorced. I used to blame my not doing work on the house on not having the energy or capability. Now I do have those but I still don't do it. I guess I just need to focus or change my way of thinking a little.
Mike - Thanks for the compliment on the home renovation! Gotta give my wife her "props", it's 90% her vision and muscle. The more modern look she's going for is more her taste than mine, but if she's happy, I'm happy! I bought the house when I got divorced and lived there by myself for about 2&1/2 - years before my wife and I married. We have not changed much at all in the 14-years we've been married until now. It was in need of a face-lift and I'm glad she gets to put her vision into the new look.
Old February 4th, 2024, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
There's a great burger. Joint in an old country store near my home only problem is they are 20 bucks
Ouch! Those double burgers I posted the pic of above are $4.75 each, and that includes the tax. Pretty damn cheap for a great burger!
Old February 5th, 2024, 06:32 AM
Running On Empty

The 4-slice toaster is now capable of toasting 4 slices of bread. I am not 100% clear if what I did resolved the issue. Completely disassembled, cleaned & vacuumed w/ a very narrow nozzle attachment (type you use on a PC &/or circuit boards) the two circuit boards, 1 board manages 1 side (x2 elements/board). Honed in on the electrostatic coil. Without performing a buttload of research, it appears the electrostatic coil is of the electromagnet type - with the electromagnet field energized (to the various heat element settings) it holds the lever(s) in place until the desired heat/time is achieved. That's my theory anyways. What I most seriously did however, was to very liberally spray each electrostatic coil several times w/ electronics contact cleaner & let the toaster set/dry overnight. I could actually witness the metal coil(s) & contact(s) change color to become far more shiny. The toaster hasn't been this clean since the day it was removed from the carton ~20 years ago.
Old February 5th, 2024, 06:40 AM

Nice

Old February 5th, 2024, 06:55 AM

Nice job on the toaster Norm!
Old February 5th, 2024, 06:58 AM
Running On Empty

Appliance Juggernaut

Apparently my appliances have begun to rebel & mount their forces. Many are reaching their useful life expectancy (~15 - 20 yrs); so, maintenance of these items becomes mandatory or I purchase new appliances. Since I have this peculiar propensity to dive into R&R maintenance mode, I refuse to submit to purchasing new. Last night the KitchenAid dishwasher became noisy - sounds like an impeller is rubbing "something" (maybe). Disassembly next on the agenda.

Turns out the new JumboMax grip fits neither my Mizuno driver nor my Mizuno fairway 3-wood shaft(s). Each has a Mitsubishi shaft w/ a diameter greater than standard shafts. The great time to learn this was after I purchased a new JumboMax grip, of course. I ordered "standard" Jumbo, but apparently the JumboMax standard Jumbo is the incorrect diameter. Still on the learning curve here (since it's the first time I've replaced grips on both of these clubs), I researched how they develop/design grips of various diameters. It isn't that ugly, but there is a method to this (I'm learning the hard way). I have to measure 2" down from the butt end of the shaft to arrive at the location to measure the correct diameter to accommodate the correctly sized ID (Internal Diameter) grip size; and, we're talking 1/8", or 5/16", or 3/8", etc. differences. A$$load more information than y'all care to know. Dick's Sporting Goods doesn't carry JumboMax in stock, but you can order them - so, that's not going to work since I can order them anywhere (e.g. Amazon). But, my conundrum is I have to be precise in measuring the outside diameter of the shaft 2" below the butt end. I haven't owned a dial micrometer in many years - I lost my last pair or they walked away. Yeah, I could probably walk into Dick's with my shafts & buy a different brand of grips to fit the shafts and be done with it - mount them myself or have Dick's mount them. I prefer to mount them myself & I'd prefer to try out these JumboMax grips - herein is the conundrum. How **** do I want to be? We'll see how it all plays out after I tackle the dishwasher & ponder on this.
Old February 5th, 2024, 07:00 AM
Running On Empty

Keith - OMG, funny stuff. Really needed that spark to get me motivated. Thanks.
Chris - Thanks, we'll see how well it holds up.

Onto the dishwasher.
Old February 5th, 2024, 08:25 AM

Keith - Completely agree with Norm, very funny video, thanks for sharing.

Norm - Good luck with the dishwasher and re-gripping your clubs. I have no doubt you'll conquer both.

I started coming down with the crud yesterday, I sure it's the same crap my wife's had for a week. First time I've had a bug in longer than I can remember. Pretty much feel li,like, $hit. There's never a good time to be sick, but I wish they weren't coming this afternoon to start ripping the old flooring out. No sense crying about it though, sooner they get done the sooner we can get back to some kind of normalcy.

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old February 5th, 2024, 08:41 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Bummer on the bug. Load up on Vitamin C (as in mega doses). A couple (several) Hot Toddies each day quells the onslaught - works for many anyways. Hope the flooring crew is a good crew. I recall your damaged outdoor porch fiasco.
Old February 5th, 2024, 09:07 AM

Chris - Bummer on the bug. Load up on Vitamin C (as in mega doses). A couple (several) Hot Toddies each day quells the onslaught - works for many anyways. Hope the flooring crew is a good crew. I recall your damaged outdoor porch fiasco.
Thanks Norm! Ya, I hope the flooring crew is both good and fast. In addition to the top tier flooring, I also know we're paying for this company's stellar reputation. I only payed 50% down upfront, so there's a really big chunk of change due on the backend, and they won't be getting another dime until its done to our satisfaction.
Old February 5th, 2024, 10:01 AM
Running On Empty

...they won't be getting another dime until its done to our satisfaction.
Such a hard a$$ you are, Chris.

Old February 5th, 2024, 10:18 AM
Running On Empty

Hot Damn Guacamole w/ a large dash of Frank's RedHot. I'm conquering appliance repairs. Found this "thing" (~1.5" diameter) laying above the screen nestled below the rotating circular water arm(s)/jet(s). Removed it & continued to disassemble the entire "innards" to check all suspect areas & clean the entire gemesh (1) I didn't really suspect this "thing" was the issue (but wasn't certain based upon where it was located); and, (2) why not clean all the innards. Running through a wash cycle at the moment & it's running perfect. Perhaps it was that "thing". I looked everywhere in the innards & can't find any place it became dislodged & would have fallen. Only thing I can figure is some utensil, lid (piece of the toaster?) fell into the dishwasher. What a solid relief - better than any laxative, honestly.

Think I'll grab the golf clubs, head to Dick's & Harbor Freight (for a new dial micrometer). To top it off, it's sunny & pleasant outdoors. WTF

Old February 5th, 2024, 10:37 AM

Such a hard a$$ you are, Chris.
Oh, but I have mellowed so much! You should have seen me when I was a Contracting Officer's Technical Representative (COTR). No one could EVER say the American Taxpayer didn't get what they paid for on my watch!
Old February 5th, 2024, 11:17 AM
Running On Empty

Oh, but I have mellowed so much! You should have seen me when I was a Contracting Officer's Technical Representative (COTR). No one could EVER say the American Taxpayer didn't get what they paid for on my watch!
Chris - I'm sure you were an excellent COTR. Good on you.
You're awakening many past sleepless nights for me. Having migrated up the food chain I arrived at the point of creating my own nightmares e.g. Gantt Charts. I've engaged w/ numerous COTRs over the years.
Old February 5th, 2024, 11:50 AM

Chris - I'm sure you were an excellent COTR. Good on you.
You're awakening many past sleepless nights for me. Having migrated up the food chain I arrived at the point of creating my own nightmares e.g. Gantt Charts. I've engaged w/ numerous COTRs over the years.
In your work with the Govt. I'm sure you had a ton of interaction with COTR's. Gantt Charts, Ugh, I sure don't miss those!!! I never mentioned it, but I got my 2nd Masters Degree in Program and Project Management from George Washington University in D.C.
Old February 5th, 2024, 02:16 PM
Running On Empty

In your work with the Govt. I'm sure you had a ton of interaction with COTR's. Gantt Charts, Ugh, I sure don't miss those!!! I never mentioned it, but I got my 2nd Masters Degree in Program and Project Management from George Washington University in D.C.
I stayed in many Hotels & ate at many restaurants in DC over the years. I rather fancied the Dupont Circle area.
Old February 5th, 2024, 02:24 PM
Running On Empty

Bought a dial caliper, more deer corn & groceries. Dick's Sporting Goods was a waste of time. Found this (below) sitting alone on a shelf. Evidently I was drawn to it. Worth a shot I reckon.

Old February 5th, 2024, 04:28 PM

Norm - Sure looks good, and I bet it is. I've tried several Edward's products including their Pecan Pie, Key Lime Pie, and Lemon Meringue Pie and they were all good.
Old February 5th, 2024, 06:18 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - Sure looks good, and I bet it is. I've tried several Edward's products including their Pecan Pie, Key Lime Pie, and Lemon Meringue Pie and they were all good.
Delicious
Old February 5th, 2024, 06:19 PM
Running On Empty

Losing my mind on golf grips/shafts.
Old February 5th, 2024, 06:21 PM

My hardwood floor is good. There are a couple of boards they should not have used, because they had extra, but no complaints other than that. Been in 8 years, lived here 7 years.

I worked Saturday. Went to the second day of an Appleseed shoot on Sunday as staff, with a buddy, in Georgetown, IN some 100 miles away. We went to support another buddy earn the rank of Shoot Boss. The national coordinator himself was there. I was dumbfounded. Cold day. We had a ton of instructors and not many shooters so I did not do much. I told one history story, did some coaching. I shot on the 3rd and final qualifier and broke my personal record of 238 with a 242 of 250. This, since I used a scope, beats the 240 for the "distinguished" device for our Rifleman patch. I hope I impressed the head man; my history was good, and shooting a 242, then clearing the afternoon diagnostic "redcoat" target, is about as good as you can hope for on a cold day.

Drove home, worked today, got teeth cleaned. I think I have a cold coming on. May be time for hot toddy tonight.
Old February 5th, 2024, 06:25 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
My hardwood floor is good. There are a couple of boards they should not have used, because they had extra, but no complaints other than that. Been in 8 years, lived here 7 years.

I worked Saturday. Went to the second day of an Appleseed shoot on Sunday as staff, with a buddy, in Georgetown, IN some 100 miles away. We went to support another buddy earn the rank of Shoot Boss. The national coordinator himself was there. I was dumbfounded. Cold day. We had a ton of instructors and not many shooters so I did not do much. I told one history story, did some coaching. I shot on the 3rd and final qualifier and broke my personal record of 238 with a 242 of 250. This, since I used a scope, beats the 240 for the "distinguished" device for our Rifleman patch. I hope I impressed the head man; my history was good, and shooting a 242, then clearing the afternoon diagnostic "redcoat" target, is about as good as you can hope for on a cold day.

Drove home, worked today, got teeth cleaned. I think I have a cold coming on. May be time for hot toddy tonight.
Nice job beating Distinguished. Hot toddy is the way to go - don't think twice about it.
Old February 5th, 2024, 06:42 PM

Losing my mind on golf grips/shafts.
Wishing you better luck finding the right grips for those oversize diameter shafts! Just as a side note, I have always liked the feel of those grips that look like the old fashioned leather wrapped, but are rubber. I get the cord infused ones for even better grip. The only issue with the cord infused ones is they will wear a glove out real quick.
Old February 5th, 2024, 06:48 PM
Running On Empty

When I bought this house it had 100% (real) jute carpet padding and 100% (real) wool carpet. The carpet was really ugly. If you had to replace that carpet (if you could find it), it would cost a small fortune. I evaluated the flooring underneath the jute + carpet before purchasing the house to find the flooring is solid 3/4" thick, 2.5" wide center-cut yellow pine boards - in "perfect" condition aside from minor surface marring from wear patterns. Underlayment is cross-hatched hardwood boards (not Luan plywood or pressed board) located on 22" center floor joists. I'll admit to a "fair" number of "sistered" floor joists. Out went the jute + carpet. Each room had ~3" to 3.5" sag at the center of each room (determined by pulling lines from corner-to-corner). All the boards "creaked" when you walked in a room. Re-leveled the joists & flooring w/ solid (no core) concrete CBUs, sanded then finished the floors. Turned out like custom flooring - remarkable.
Old February 5th, 2024, 06:55 PM

John - Great job scoring the 242 and reaching the ""distinguished " device level. Curious as to what distance/s and what shooting position/s that honor is achieved from?

I really enjoy shooting at long distance targets, but it can get real expensive, real fast if you're not reloading your own ammo and you're shooting a 7mm Rem Mag.
Old February 5th, 2024, 07:06 PM

When I bought this house it had 100% (real) jute carpet padding and 100% (real) wool carpet. The carpet was really ugly. If you had to replace that carpet (if you could find it), it would cost a small fortune. I evaluated the flooring underneath the jute + carpet before purchasing the house to find the flooring is solid 3/4" thick, 2.5" wide center-cut yellow pine boards - in "perfect" condition aside from minor surface marring from wear patterns. Underlayment is cross-hatched hardwood (not Luan plywood or pressed board) on 22" center floor joists. I'll admit to a "fair" number of "sistered" floor joists. Out went the jute + carpet. Each room had ~3" to 3.5" sag at the center of each room (determined by pulling lines from corner-to-corner). All the boards "creaked" when you walked in a room. Re-leveled the joists & flooring w/ solid (no core) concrete CBUs, sanded then finished the floors. Turned out like custom flooring - remarkable.
That is a great result.

This place had green **** over jute over particleboard. It went out to down to the floorboards. I turned on the basement lights once and did some night photography during that. I can feel, in two places, where the joists go over the I beams as it is a slight rise. Other than that, it's flat.

Old February 5th, 2024, 07:19 PM

John - Great job scoring the 242 and reaching the ""distinguished " device level. Curious as to what distance/s and what shooting position/s that honor is achieved from?

I really enjoy shooting at long distance targets, but it can get real expensive, real fast if you're not reloading your own ammo and you're shooting a 7mm Rem Mag.
Project Appleseed's main target is a single piece of paper, about 11x20 that has targets that are scaled to represent silhouettes of a head and shoulders at various ranges. We also use the full size target at the actual range. The target is a modified WWII US target called D, or Dog. The shooting we teach is classic US Army and Marine Corps 3 position loop-sling shooting for field marksmanship. This is also used in the CMP and NRA. The full size target is shot at 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards, and 400 yards, by positions of standing, seated, fast prone, and slow prone, respectively. Stage 1 has 2 minutes and is plenty of time. 2 and 3 have 55 sec and 65 sec respectively, and is quick. 400 has five minutes and is plenty of time.

On the single sheet, it is placed at 25 meters. It has one target at 1/4 size to match the 100 yard target's angular presentation (i.e. it looks the same size.) It has 2 targets at 1/8 size for 200 yards. 3 at 1/12 for 300, and 4 at 1/16 for 400.

The challenges of the known distance full range are centerfire rifle recoil, wind, and elevation and bullet drop. The challenges of the 25m are changing targets. Either will earn you Rifleman, Distinguished, and 250. If you do it in cold and winter weather, you can get a icy Rifleman badge called the Winterseed. We're a civilian program that teaches Revolutionary War history and also teaches shooting to get people there that day, so we don't have a uniform. Closest thing we have is we use old school green shooting jackets, and you can sew your patches there.

Here's a screenshot of some targets.

Old February 5th, 2024, 08:15 PM
Running On Empty

I don't know how much or if any overlap between NRA vs. Appleseed. I suspect (maybe) CMP has some overlap w/ both Appleseed & NRA. I qualified through Expert in the NRA program. Dad took me to the Nat'l Guard Amory indoor firing range every single week (thanks Dad). Mom sewed patches onto my hunting jacket when I earned any. To this day I can recall the scents/fumes of the firing range. I was modestly surprised we had to qualify for M16 service weapon training in the USAF, but we did. They replaced M16 w/ M4 Carbine in 2010? Was talking w/ some know-it-all USMC veteran one day prior to the 1st tee box. Don't know him, he was an a$$wipe. Some other guy (a retired surgeon w/ military background) was lightly discussing one of the mass shootings w/ this USMC a$$wipe. I became modestly engaged in the conversation suggesting something to the effect of having qualified w/ an AR15 in the USAF to which this flea-riddled USMC douche-nozzle begins thumping his chest telling me I'm full of **** & the AR15 is nothing like an M16. I responded to him asking if he was an authority on Armalite arsenal. He scuffed, he pouted, became annoyed, started yapping like a wild pig & I simply smiled watching the steam vent from his overgrown hairy ear lobes. Then....to my surprise, the retired surgeon says: "Yes, that's correct. I own an AR15 and an M16 is the exact same as the AR15." Mind you, not all AR15's are M16s, but all M16s are AR15s.

I have a cousin who is a straight-up arsenal "freak". Every single weekend he's entered into every/any event w/in a 50 mile range of Phoenix, AZ. I don't know the names of all the various events he enters, but it's an a$$load. I think the majority are pistol events - not sure. The type where you run from station to station shooting, reloading, etc. etc. These are all sanctioned (by some organization) events. I have another cousin (tucked away in Alabama) who's a military freak. Tons of munitions on his property. He actually has a small armory he built into the hillside landscape in the back of his property. This is Lonnie. Lonnie enlisted into the Army in the early 1970s. He was w/ the 101st before he became a Green Beret. His history of military land campaigns is remarkable.
Old February 6th, 2024, 05:25 AM

NORM only big diff is selector switch
Old February 6th, 2024, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Project Appleseed's main target is a single piece of paper, about 11x20 that has targets that are scaled to represent silhouettes of a head and shoulders at various ranges. We also use the full size target at the actual range.
John - Went to bed fairly early last night because I've got some kind of bug and not feeling real well, so I'm just now seeing this. Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed write-up. I'll have time to read and digest this today, and may have a couple more questions. Thanks again, it is much appreciated!