The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2022, 10:35 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

A lull in the home stretch. We haven't done too badly today. Everyone is here and nothing is broke.

Both walls I was working on in the past have not had any mind paid to them in quite some time. The lake wall I could really give two $hits about, and the house wall, well, pushing my luck. With the lake at full pool there isn't much I can do anyway.

Been spending my in between wheels time looking at 57 Chevy's. Alls I can say is most people are on crack, or told their wives sure I'll sell my car. The most promising one is in Denver, only 1400 miles from me. There's one about two hours from Norm, but the best I can figure is that place is no more, about three years now.

Laundromat after work today. That probably means stopping at Awful house for dinner. That's okay. Can't have Mom running around without any drawers.

Okay gonna finish up. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old October 25th, 2022, 02:03 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Chevrolet made 19 different car models in 1957.

Old October 25th, 2022, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

It never really got warm - not miserable, but not pleasant & I played like 💩💩💩💩
Old October 25th, 2022, 02:17 PM

Norm, I'm playing tomorrow with 2 cousins. Wish me luck, I plan on putting them on the tips
Old October 25th, 2022, 02:34 PM
Running On Empty

I'm thinking they're either much younger than yourself or they both just came off the Korn Ferry Tour. Good luck, have fun.
Old October 25th, 2022, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
It never really got warm - not miserable, but not pleasant & I played like 💩💩💩💩
Norm - Sorry ya had a rough day on the links, I'm sure it didn't help coming off of the tooth extraction yesterday. Better than a good day working though.
Old October 25th, 2022, 02:43 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks for the kind words. It's always a better day than working.
Old October 25th, 2022, 02:50 PM

Jim - Hope ya have nice weather and a nice round tomorrow.

Weather has been pretty much as forecast, mid-50's, and rain pretty much all day, sometimes very heavy. Just had another period of thunderboomers and Monty's in a tizzy again. Maggie doesn't give a $hit, funny how they're so different.

Wife just sold a curio cabinet she finished quite awhile ago. The guy's supposed to be on his way to pick it up. Hope whatever he's driving is able to fit it inside or it's gonna get soaked!

Hope ya'll have a great evening!

Old October 25th, 2022, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the kind words. It's always a better day than working.

A nice walk spoiled
Old October 25th, 2022, 03:19 PM

[quote=jamesbo;1459871]
a nice walk spoiled
[quote]

OK dammit, tried 3 times to put in the acronym for Laughing My *** Off and it won't take, so I'm just proving I can spell!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 25th, 2022 at 03:24 PM.
Old October 25th, 2022, 04:29 PM

Happy birthday Sandy
Old October 26th, 2022, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Happy birthday Sandy

Old memories, haven't thought of her in a while.... Good thoughts....Tedd
Old October 26th, 2022, 10:10 AM

Good morning guys,

Beautiful day here, 60° F and sunny. Lots of leaves came off the Cherry tree in the front of the house during the storm yesterday and need to be mulched, but I think I'll wait a few more days because there's still a ton on the tree.

Didn't mention it yesterday when we got home from my wife's physical because we were consumed by dog issues, but her medical issues continue. She has suffered from severe gastrointestinal issues for years, to the point of severe stomach aches, and nausea leading to vomiting. These episodes usually occur once or twice a month. Alot of the symptoms are consistent with gall bladder disease, but our previous primary care physician ordered a whole battery of tests, scans, and scope procedures and could never find the cause. Our new primary care physician that saw her yesterday wants his shot at it I guess, because he's now ordered another endoscopy and an imaging to see if he can get to the root cause. I certainly don't blame him for wanting to find out what's going on because she is miserable when she has these "attacks" and the vomiting could cause long term damage to her esophagus. I sure hope they can find a cause and can do something to get her some relief. She is getting very tired of doctors visits and procedures, but certainly doesn't enjoy getting so ill a couple times a month either.

Not much else going on here other than my wife getting back to light duty work finishing up minor things on the Master Bath renovation. I'm on standby helper duty because she's on strict orders not to lift anything over 10 lbs. Right now I'm planning on going to an end of the season Car Show on Saturday if the weather cooperates. That will be it for me, and then I'll start in on a thorough cleaning of the car and bikes, and winterization.

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old October 26th, 2022, 10:48 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Doing well today. There is a difference of opinion as to how many wheels we are doing today. Strangely enough the lead won't say. Odd.

Chris years ago I would have these weird pain attacks in my upper body. I didn't know what caused them and sometimes I'd be sick. I went to the ER one time and the brilliant doctor said I had a compression fracture in my spine. Turns out it was gall stones. For whatever reason I stopped having the attacks but never did have my gall bladder out. What your wife is experiencing sounds a lot like what Mom went through last week. Have they checked for diverticulitis yet? Poor woman, I hope she finds the cure quick. Maybe the new doctor will be successful.

Jamesbo maybe if Larry still has Sandy's car we can all take up a collection and buy it from him and then have the Official New Good Morning Thread mascot. Trouble is there's few of us that remember her.

Norm all 18 models look exactly the same. Apparently the car I like in Plymouth, NC, is still for sale. If I get golf ***** from Jamesbo and send them to you you want to go have a look for me? hehe I wonder if Richard's hauling business is nationwide or just regional to Texas.

It did indeed rain last night, not a lot, and I don't know what it's like outside now. If it became nice again I'm giving Tiger a bath this afternoon. I don't mind dog smell but the car is starting to smell like dog even when he's not in it. And it's time, I give him a bath in the spring and the fall. It's getting a little too cool for a bath now I need to get it over with.

Well I think I'll prepare for departure. Won't be long now. Hope everyone is having a good Hump Day.

Old October 26th, 2022, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
What your wife is experiencing sounds a lot like what Mom went through last week. Have they checked for diverticulitis yet? Poor woman, I hope she finds the cure quick. Maybe the new doctor will be successful.
Mike - Thanks for the well wishes for her! I honestly can't remember if diverticulitis was something they looked for the last time she went for a whole battery of tests? I'll have to ask her if that is something they ever mentioned as a possibility. The two major tests I remember from the last time were an endoscopy from her throat into her stomach, and a test where they put a radioactive dye into her bloodstream and watch it as it travels through the gall bladder to see if it is functioning normally. Both tests turned out negative for any abnormalities. You hate for them to find something that might be really bad, but you also hate for them not to find something, and your loved one continues to suffer. Kinda a catch 22!
Old October 26th, 2022, 02:24 PM

Master Bath Renovation Reveal

Before

Now

Old October 26th, 2022, 03:34 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I'd be happy to travel to Plymouth to have a look at the '57 - I could use more golf *****. I played golf ~20 miles South of Plymouth twice last month. That's a good looking car I think.

Chris - The bathroom reveal looks outstanding. I removed a bedroom in my home years ago & turned it into a big old gnarly bathroom w/ walk-in closet, full glass enclosure tiled shower (8' x 6') w/ two sit-down bench seats, double vanity, whirlpool, etc. The previous bathroom was basically an indoor outhouse.
Old October 26th, 2022, 03:42 PM
Running On Empty

Various images of the bathroom I installed...

Old October 26th, 2022, 03:58 PM

Norm - Thanks for the compliments on my wife's work, I'm very proud of her!

That is a gorgeous bathroom you built, superb craftsmanship! I wouldn't expect anything less from you!
Old October 26th, 2022, 04:06 PM

Mike - Just one pic, but I agree with Norm, that's a nice looking '57. It looks extremely clean and solid.
Old October 26th, 2022, 04:08 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Regarding your new bathroom reveal. It's amazing what door/drawer handles, fresh paint, new fixtures and do for upgrading a bathroom isn't it? I've already replaced my bathroom water fixtures in the double vanity twice. One of things I really like it the shower head I installed in the ceiling - feels like I'm in a waterfall taking a shower.
Old October 26th, 2022, 04:27 PM

Chris - Regarding your new bathroom reveal. It's amazing what door/drawer handles, fresh paint, new fixtures and do for upgrading a bathroom isn't it? I've already replaced my bathroom water fixtures in the double vanity twice. One of things I really like it the shower head I installed in the ceiling - feels like I'm in a waterfall taking a shower.
Norm - I agree 100%, it's amazing how different it looks just changing the items you listed! I wasn't sure I'd like the light gray walls and dark gray cabinets at first, but I really do like the whole color ensemble she put together.
Old October 26th, 2022, 04:38 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - There are some subtle differences. Your image is a 1957 Bel Air 4-Door Sedan. Agree, they all look quite similar.

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm all 18 models look exactly the same.
Old October 26th, 2022, 04:46 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - That fan OEM ya think?

The interior & overall appearance of the car is nice. The fuzzy dice come w/ the sale of the car?

Old October 26th, 2022, 05:10 PM

Mike - That fan OEM ya think?

The interior & overall appearance of the car is nice. The fuzzy dice come w/ the sale of the car?
Norm - That fan has to be just an auxiliary fan right? I have one similar to that in front of my radiator, but you can't even hardly see mine because of the way grill lattice is. Mine's hooked up to a toggle switch in the cabin and I can turn it on/off at my discretion. Only time I ever use it is when it's +90° out and I'm stuck in stop/go traffic for a long time, or something like a parade, and then the temp will start to inch up towards 200°. Now in my ignorance, I used to think 200° was getting pretty hot, but from reading on CO, I've learned that you don't really need to worry about these BBO's until you start pushing around 215 or 220°. I will still turn my auxiliary fan on when it gets to 200°, and the auxiliary will quickly bring it down to 190° even in the most extreme heat. I figure better safe than sorry.

Did Mike send you a link to the '57 he's looking at? Was wondering where you got the extra pic? If so, maybe he'll post it so we can all see more?
Old October 26th, 2022, 05:20 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I can't give away my secrets. It wouldn't be fair to Mike. I never had to worry about any overheating of my stock '67 4-4-2 back in the day (1969-1972) that I can recall. At any rate, the only time a fan of that type would provide any benefit would be at idle in continuous stop & go traffic since a fan does nothing at highway speed.
Old October 26th, 2022, 05:27 PM
Running On Empty

And, honestly I'm not certain what that fan is for. Transmission cooler? I see only copper lines but no cooling fins - although, they may be behind there somewhere. I can certainly see what appears to be the original radiator (black) behind those copper coils. I see several dozen new logo Titleist golf ***** in my future?
Old October 26th, 2022, 05:30 PM
Running On Empty

Well, after another look, maybe those copper tubes are sandwiched between two plates of what appear to be aluminum fins? But, what's it for? Transmission cooler? Could they have left the original radiator installed and bypassed it altogether with the new one in front? Hmmm...
Old October 26th, 2022, 05:41 PM

Chris - I can't give away my secrets. It wouldn't be fair to Mike. I never had to worry about any overheating of my stock '67 4-4-2 back in the day (1969-1972) that I can recall. At any rate, the only time a fan of that type would provide any benefit would be at idle in continuous stop & go traffic since a fan does nothing at highway speed.
Norm - No expectation whatsoever for you to post the link if it was given to you in confidence, that's why I added maybe Mike will post the link here, or send it to me.

Agree with you 100% about the functionality of an auxiliary fan, mine's only used in long stretches of stop & go in extremely hot temps. Once I'm constantly moving, the temp quickly comes down to 175°, no matter how hot it is out. I really have no idea why mine likes to inch up towards 200° in those conditions, other than having read it's not unusual for them to run 10 to 15° above that. For all I know, it might never get into the danger zone, but I wasn't about to find out when I have the auxiliary fan available. Your car might have been running 215° or 220° at idle in hot weather and stop & go conditions, but you would never know it unless you had an auxiliary temp gauge?
Old October 26th, 2022, 05:52 PM

Well, after another look, maybe those copper tubes are sandwiched between two plates of what appear to be aluminum fins? But, what's it for? Transmission cooler? Could they have left the original radiator installed and bypassed it altogether with the new one in front? Hmmm...
Norm - Take a close look at the top hard line coming off of that silver radiator. Looks to me like it goes back and enters the A/C compressor??? Could it be the silver radiator is a functioning part of an aftermarket A/C system???
Old October 26th, 2022, 06:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Take a close look at the top hard line coming off of that silver radiator. Looks to me like it goes back and enters the A/C compressor??? Could it be the silver radiator is a functioning part of an aftermarket A/C system???
I thought same - not sure really.

Old October 26th, 2022, 06:03 PM
Running On Empty

Your car might have been running 215° or 220° at idle in hot weather and stop & go conditions, but you would never know it unless you had an auxiliary temp gauge?
Hell, in Northern Illinois we might have seen 90°F+ for 5-6 days/year & back in the late 60's there was no stop & go traffic for ANY length of time back then.
Old October 26th, 2022, 06:05 PM
Running On Empty

Rethinking this - I think you're right. It's probably the evaporator core for the aftermarket AC.
Old October 26th, 2022, 06:14 PM

Hell, in Northern Illinois we might have seen 90°F+ for 5-6 days/year & back in the late 60's there was no stop & go traffic for ANY length of time back then.
Good point!
I remember on 3 separate occasions this summer heading home from shows when the temp was right around a 100° and the car did just fine. I can tell you where I could have really used an auxiliary fan though, in the cabin!!! Ya can't beat the power of a BBO, and ya can't beat the heat they put out either!!!
Old October 27th, 2022, 02:25 AM

Chris, Please tell your bride she did a beautiful job

Norm, [As usual] very nice work.

Question [ none of my business question actually] Are you hiding something from your Olds friends? Who left the razor in the shower?

The fan is to keep anyone sitting in the engine bay cool when they work on the car
Old October 27th, 2022, 02:42 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Finally got my slow *** out of bed for some overtime. Eh, it's POAD so who cares. I'm running dangerously low on time off so this is basically buying vacation, two hours at a time. I slept good last night, and at some point Tiger decided he wanted to jump up on the bed and cuddle. That's probably why I slept so good.

Sorry Chris, no secret about that car. Norm probably thought you'd snipe me and buy it out from under me. Go ahead, but you have to send Norm golf *****. I think the silver radiator is the condenser for the AC. Odd place for the alternator.

Chris the bathroom looks nice. My plan for the old house, which will most likely never be realized, is to build an addition onto the master bedroom for a nice big bathroom, and then combine the small master bathroom with the hall bathroom to make one that is of decent size.

Norm nice work on the bathroom. The one picture of the picture and sconces with the crown moulding looks like it's in an old fancy theater.

Okay well we've been pretty busy for overtime, and it's taken me an hour to write all this. Gonna take a quick break and hopefully we'll be busy all day and end a little early. Going to get my ears lowered after work. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old October 27th, 2022, 06:38 AM

Good morning guys,

Jim & Mike - Thanks for the compliments on my wife's work on the Master Bath, I'll let her know. I already knew she could paint and decorate from her furniture work. I am most impressed with her plumbing and electrical skills, not a leak found anywhere and the house hasn't burnt down.

Mike - The last thing I need right now is another vehicle to take care of! I was able to find the '57 online with a little sleuthing. After seeing more pics, I still say it looks like a very nice, solid car. It's so hard to tell from online pics the true quality of a car. I went to a whole bunch of places to look at cars that turned out to be duds before I finally bought my 4-4-2. If Norm goes to check it out for you, and you still want it, I hope the deal works out for you!

Pretty morning, supposed to be a pretty Fall day, sunshine and about 65° for a high. I hope you all have a great day!
Old October 27th, 2022, 07:28 AM

A lot of people throw aftermarket parts at things that are not needed. I threw GM parts at my Chevy recently, upgraded it to "heavy duty cooling" option, and, even though I had a leak at the top of the system keeping it at ambient pressure, I could never get the car over 185 deg, including blasting along at 75 mph for an hour.
Old October 27th, 2022, 07:34 AM
Running On Empty

Jim, Chris, Mike - Thanks.
Mike - While I was installing the electrical wiring, conduit, duplexes, switches, etc. I was thinking of lighting fixtures, towel racks, etc. Having reviewed nearly every type fixture in many various stores & on-line I decided at that point I'd purchase/support from local artisans so those items are hand-made from local artisans somewhere w/in the U.S.A. It took some time for me to consider the crown molding in the bathroom. I'm glad I installed it. That crown molding really establishes the correct "period" for the house (built in 1930). Nice you commented on it.
Old October 27th, 2022, 07:39 AM

Norm, Well whoever she is with the razor. I hope she keeps here "landing strip" nice and tidy