The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2024 | 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris are you saying if you work on your six pack it will help with back pain? If you've been doing it for 30 years you must have abs of steel.
Mike- Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. The stronger you make your abdomen and chest, the more stress it takes off your back and helps to keep your spine in alignment. I hesitated to say this before, but I'm not ashamed, just do not want to ever come across as a braggart. I do my lifting workout on M-W-F every week. As my warm-up for my lifting, I do a core strengthing work out. First I lay flat on the floor and point my knees towards the ceiling and do 4OO bent leg crunches without stopping. These bent leg crunches strengthen mainly the upper abdomen. Then I get on the apparatus below (pic) and support my forearms on those upper pads, suspending my legs off the floor and draw my knees to my chest, doing 200 of those without stopping. Those are called reverse crunches and they target the lower abdomen. Then I get a full size barbel with approx. 150 lbs. on it and put it on my shoulders and then twist from side to side 100 times. This targets the oblique muscles on your sides. That's my warm-up, and it works for me. The real benefit is it has significantly helped with my back issues, so I don't mind the investment in my time!

Old July 11th, 2024 | 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Kenneth - It's unclear to me what you are attempting to state with the above quotes? Please explain.
You said this:

Mike - No idea what you're talking about. I said nothing about tires blowing out on any United aircraft. I stated the "wheel" fell off United aircraft. Where does tires blowing out on United aircraft fit into this?
Tires blowing out on a United aircraft comes from the article I posted, which you then replied to.

https://ktar.com/story/5580005/blown...da-to-phoenix/

A blown landing-gear tire caused a delay for American Airlines passengers heading from Tampa to Phoenix Wednesday morning. Emergency responders were dispatched to American Airlines Flight 590 shortly before 8 a.m., Tampa International Airport spokesman C.J. Johnson said. A video posted on YouTube shows the airplane taxiing on the runway when its right-rear tire begins to smoke and then collapse. The plane eventually came to a stop at the end of the runway, and emergency vehicles arrived minutes later.

Old July 11th, 2024 | 05:06 PM
Running On Empty

I hate to bust your bubble, the tire came from an AMERICAN AIRLINES aircraft. I think you & Mike are drinking from the same bottle today.
Old July 11th, 2024 | 06:18 PM

Kenneth - It's unclear to me what you are attempting to state with the above quotes? Please explain.
OK, lemme try again by going back to my original post:

Originally Posted by Fun71
Dang, another airline tire issue.
That is all I was attempting to point out.
Old July 11th, 2024 | 06:50 PM
Running On Empty

Right. You stated another airline "tire" issue, my response was:

Not really related. The United Airline flights had the "wheel" fall off in flight. A blown tire is minimal issue. There should be some heads rolling at United.
What I was pointing out was they weren't related - because United Airlines had "wheels" falling off and American Airlines has blown "tires" i.e. not really related.
Old July 11th, 2024 | 07:09 PM

Sounds like . . . "Who's on first?"
Old July 11th, 2024 | 07:22 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Sounds like . . . "Who's on first?"
I had a hell of time trying to figure out how Mike's discussion of United "tires" made any sense when, in fact, United had "wheels" falling off not blown tires. American had blown tires not wheels falling off. Add to that and Mike said:

I just saw a story that American lost several tires on the same plane taking off.
Well yeah...Kenneth posted the URL link.
Old July 11th, 2024 | 07:25 PM
Running On Empty

Anyone speak Ukrainian?
Old July 12th, 2024 | 03:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

It's been beautiful out the last few mornings. Cool but humid, would be a cool ride with the top down. So I leave it up and let the windows fog.

Norm apparently I was reading some other article. I did see an article that said American lost more than one tire but now I can't find it, looks like it was just the one. The feds will come to see American, and they will come to see United. Any time an airplane returns to the gate, or has in incident on the field, the feds come out. Mechanics having to talk to the feds is a relatively rare occurrence, but I know guys who have had to, and they say it wasn't a nice experience. To paraphrase Jamesbo's court saying, regardless of why you are talking to them, you'll wish you hadn't.

By the way, a blown tire is not a minimal issue. Even sitting still chunks of tire flying in all directions take out hydraulic lines and electrical, also will dent/penetrate structure, and generally cause all sorts of havoc. Now, when that tire lets go at 200 on takeoff, the plane is devastated. It's odd that the 757 that lost the wheel didn't return to the airport. A blown(or in this case departed) tire is always cause to return. Sure once you're airborne the tire doesn't have much to do, but suppose the plane has another problem enroute to its destination, you now have two problems to deal with and one is bad enough.

Chris that's quite a workout. And silly me, only using a Soloflex. Gee, I wonder where that thing is these days. Once upon a time I had gotten up to the lofty weight of 225, and select Soloflex exercises and walking every day got me down to 185. That's what I was in high school. Then apathy set in and I left 225 in the dust. Now as I approach middle age it's harder to lose weight and I have a hundred excuses as to why I don't exercise. Wish I had a work out buddy to push me.

My wall guy is training yet another newbie this morning. This one looks like Bob Marley. He seems adept at the work.

Okay someone is late and bringing donuts. Gotta get ready. Hope everyone has a good Friday and a good weekend.

Old July 12th, 2024 | 03:44 AM
Running On Empty

Okay someone is late and bringing donuts. Gotta get ready. Hope everyone has a good Friday and a good weekend.
Mike - They feed you well.
Old July 12th, 2024 | 04:30 AM
Always room for one more

And it's payday so the department across the hall makes popcorn.

Next Wednesday we're having taco's. They are gourmet tacos we've had them before. I didn't care much for them but that's what everyone wanted. It was either that or wings and I'm not a fan of wings, either. But it's nice that we're having a meal I do appreciate it.

Old July 12th, 2024 | 01:08 PM

Norm apparently I was reading some other article. I did see an article that said American lost more than one tire but now I can't find it, looks like it was just the one. The feds will come to see American, and they will come to see United. Any time an airplane returns to the gate, or has in incident on the field, the feds come out. Mechanics having to talk to the feds is a relatively rare occurrence, but I know guys who have had to, and they say it wasn't a nice experience. To paraphrase Jamesbo's court saying, regardless of why you are talking to them, you'll wish you hadn't.

By the way, a blown tire is not a minimal issue. Even sitting still chunks of tire flying in all directions take out hydraulic lines and electrical, also will dent/penetrate structure, and generally cause all sorts of havoc. Now, when that tire lets go at 200 on takeoff, the plane is devastated.
Mike, almost all the news outlets today are reporting that multiple tires blew.

Here's an article with a good video of the blowout at what they say was 175 MPH:

https://simpleflying.com/caught-on-v...tampa-florida/
Old July 12th, 2024 | 01:18 PM

Anyone speak Ukrainian?
My co worker. Not that he's available to translate. Chris, when I can't get the lid to unscrew from a fresh jar of mayo, I'll call you.
Old July 12th, 2024 | 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, when I can't get the lid to unscrew from a fresh jar of mayo, I'll call you.
That'll work, and I can pass it over to my wife. LoL She's the real bad ***, especially for a woman!
Old July 12th, 2024 | 01:52 PM

crab cakes and coleslaw
Old July 12th, 2024 | 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
crab cakes and coleslaw
The crab cakes look delicious Jim! I like either type of coleslaw, but if I have my druthers, I prefer the vinegar based varieties.
Old July 12th, 2024 | 02:22 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Those crab cakes look fabulous.
Old July 12th, 2024 | 02:28 PM

Jim, once again you rock!
Old July 12th, 2024 | 02:47 PM
Running On Empty

From the wheel & tire shop to the mechanics on the flight line & the flight crew - tires are routinely & often meticulously checked. I try to decipher important information from newsworthy articles. However, when I read this:

[the aircraft, a Boeing 737-800]...was delivered to American in May 1999 and has accumulated more than 63,000 flight hours across 26,171 cycles as of January 31, 2024, per ch-aviation.
I become disappointed. Those statistics are virtually meaningless. Without any context whatsoever, those stats say nothing about tires. So, I ask myself - what good is that information? That information is worthless. 63K miles is rather average for a 25 yr. old 737-800 (stretch-737). Honestly, 26,171 cycles (takeoff & landings) is on the low side - many stretch-737 aircraft approach 45K-50K cycles. And yet, those stats say zilch, zero, nada about the topic of discussion - i.e. the tires. You'd think a journalist w/ any skin in the game would be interested in garnering information pertinent to the article.

Something w/ substance, such as:

The lifespan of tires on a Boeing 737 aircraft can vary depending on various factors such as the number of landings, the weight of the aircraft during takeoff and landing, the type of operations the aircraft is used for, and the maintenance practices of the airline or operator.

Typically, aircraft tires are not replaced based on a set time interval like you might see with a car, but rather they are replaced based on wear and tear. Aircraft maintenance schedules often include regular inspections of the tires, and they are replaced when they reach a certain level of wear or damage.

In general, Boeing 737 tires can last anywhere from a few months to a couple of years, depending on the factors mentioned above. Airlines and operators closely monitor the condition of the tires and replace them as needed to ensure the safety of the aircraft and its passengers.
Old July 12th, 2024 | 03:29 PM
Always room for one more

Golly. Unless the airplane is sitting in a museum or the desert a tire will not last a couple of years. Not if it's in service. About a month is what they are good for. My guess is the first tire blew, then its axle mate overheated and blew. The 800 needs to use main tires that are at least 28 ply. Lesser tires will fit, but not up to the job. What's left of the tires will be scrutinized. And the plane gets a gear change.

The crab cakes look great Jamesbo. And so does the plate.

Dan that's too bad about the Supreme. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy called you back.

Early to work tomorrow. But we get off at noon. Sunday too. What fun. But it's a chunk o'change.

Old July 12th, 2024 | 03:37 PM

You'd think a journalist w/ any skin in the game would be interested in garnering information pertinent to the article.
OMG Norm, do you really believe that? It would be nice, but it's just not reality.
Old July 12th, 2024 | 03:56 PM
Running On Empty

OMG Norm, do you really believe that? It would be nice, but it's just not reality.
Kenneth - I know, right? And, I know I'm riding the soap-box here lately ranting/bitching about this tire & wheel stuff. I think I've placed myself in a rabbit hole recently where I've become a skeptic of everything I read. News stations, news papers, journalism (or lack of it), and don't even get me going on weather stations, display such sensationalism - the ALMIGHTY American Greenback. Sell the story (marketing) instead of telling story (true journalism).

Don't count me done w/ ranting quite yet. I may be on a roll.
Old July 12th, 2024 | 04:03 PM
Running On Empty

Golly. Unless the airplane is sitting in a museum or the desert a tire will not last a couple of years. Not if it's in service. About a month is what they are good for. My guess is the first tire blew, then its axle mate overheated and blew. The 800 needs to use main tires that are at least 28 ply. Lesser tires will fit, but not up to the job. What's left of the tires will be scrutinized. And the plane gets a gear change.
Right, Mike. That's the type information which has substance. Journalists should be interviewing humans who work in the industry.
Old July 12th, 2024 | 06:32 PM
Running On Empty

We aren't getting nearly the amount of rain I was hoping for - yet. Hopefully more on the way.
Old July 12th, 2024 | 08:29 PM

Don't count me done w/ ranting quite yet. I may be on a roll.
Hopefully some kids will walk onto your lawn.

We aren't getting nearly the amount of rain I was hoping for - yet. Hopefully more on the way.
Wait, weren’t you hoping Beryl would miss you?

You’re sounding fickle. Are you OK? Getting enough sleep? BP and cholesterol in range?
Old July 13th, 2024 | 12:58 AM
Always room for one more

You’re sounding fickle. Are you OK? Getting enough sleep? BP and cholesterol in range?
Here, have a Snickers.

Good morning everyone.

Woke up one minute before the alarm. Any day I don't have to hear that is starting out on the right foot. Not a lot of traffic on the expressway but I did have to wait for the left turn arrow into Burger King. At 3am. And Burger King isn't even open anymore. We'll see who shows up for overtime today.

Norm the media isn't interested in the correct and pertinent information, they are interested in a big show, sensationalism, shock value. The average joe doesn't know the tires get changed once a month, so when they spout worthless info like the plane has this many hours, or it's this many years old, people will gasp and say, My God, no wonder that tire caught fire! Makes for better ratings. And the fact that it was a Boeing plane makes it all the better.

Gonna be sunny and hot today. Need to paint some closet doors this afternoon. I need to get to work on the pickup so it looks nice for my trip. Gonna set an appointment online for his alignment this morning.

Okay ready for it. Have a good day everyone.

Old July 13th, 2024 | 03:34 AM

Cloud eggs with bagel and nova
Old July 13th, 2024 | 04:42 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Nice job. You're two-for-two (last two pictures in focus).

Old July 13th, 2024 | 07:50 AM

p
Old July 13th, 2024 | 08:02 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Looks like a great way to spend the day. Enjoy.

I'm making Sloppy Joe's. Haven't made them in many years. Seems like the right thing to do.
Old July 13th, 2024 | 12:51 PM

I'm making Sloppy Joe's. Haven't made them in many years.
That's a great idea, been many years since Iv'e made them. Gotta pick up some 80/20 tomorrow, when I get groceries.
Old July 13th, 2024 | 12:54 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That's a great idea, been many years since Iv'e made them. Gotta pick up some 80/20 tomorrow, when I get groceries.
Dan - I ate three. I've been comatose since 1:00pm.
Old July 13th, 2024 | 01:08 PM

I've been comatose since 1:00pm.
Old July 13th, 2024 | 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

Thought I'd mow the lawn between some light/moderate rain showers. The JD ZTR is fighting me. I did a full tune-up on it last month including removal/cleaning/reinstallation of both (+) & (-) battery terminal cables & attachment points. Elected to read the manual & do some on-line research indoors rather than fight the heat.
Old July 13th, 2024 | 02:49 PM
Always room for one more

Hey Jamesbo is going to get ice cream!

Got out of work about 1125 and headed to Awful house. Just pulled in and my neighbor called and said he was at my shop trying to pull a van out from the back that I said he could have. I asked if he really needed me there and he said no, but the big military truck was in the way. Ah, I'll have to come move it. He said he could move it and I said it was locked up and I had the key. It was a fib, because the key is in one of the cars over there. But I don't want anyone driving it so I went to move it, and then got gipped out of my lunch. The fuel pump on the van is bad so they were dripping gas into the throttle body and it backfired and set the dirt on the engine on fire, which dropped down to the leaves on the ground. Very exciting. It wouldn't start after that so they towed it out on a strap. Bye bye van.

Got my closet doors painted this afternoon, and I'll put them up this evening. And that will be the last thing and the guest bedroom is done, finally. I'll spend a little time in the yard as my next project. It's starting to fill in and Mom likes watching the lake.

Old July 13th, 2024 | 05:09 PM
Running On Empty

The JD ZTR had been hit or miss on some attempts at starting in the past month. No clicking from the solenoid - just nothing, nada, zilch. Checked the seat activated mower SW for continuity and it passed, then checked parking brake SW and it's good. On a couple occasions I heard a whining noise from the "area" around the solenoid. Went to start it again, it fired off brought it to max RPM and engaged the mower - engine would barely run. Attempted same scenario w/ exact same results. Tried one more time and nothing, nada, zilch. ALT is charging battery. Before 1st start it was 12.26V, while mowing about 15' until shutdown I read battery again - 12.56V. I can't say I know how this solenoid is wired; I know the solenoid's primary purpose is to engage the starter, but I'm wondering if a solenoid can also be wired/configured in support of operating the mower deck? Not sure. Done for the day though. I'll probably remove solenoid first thing in the morning & test it for continuity and resistance (Ohms) if I can find how many Ohms it's supposed to be. I'm sorta perplexed. Maybe there's something else like a VR next to the solenoid? Anyone have ideas?
Old July 13th, 2024 | 05:26 PM
Running On Empty

Thought of a couple other areas. I haven't checked for a relay and I haven't checked the actual IGN SW. So, a couple other areas to consider. I might check the brake SW one more time tomorrow as well; since, I seem to recall there were several occasions it seemed to me it wasn't working as designed.
Old July 14th, 2024 | 04:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

We've been going pretty well since we started, but have hit a lull. Good time to have a snack. Good turnout for OT today. I wonder how many people didn't work yesterday, but came in today expecting double time. Won't they be surprised.

Hm not like Chris to miss a day, he must have had a relapse over the table.

I should know better than to look at classified ads that are far away from me. There's a Valiant in California I'd love to have, but alas, shipping would be more than the price. Not feasible to go get it. If it were any closer I'd have it. Ug.

So this is Day 7. I took tomorrow off, then work 4, then off next week. I think I'm off in a couple weeks again, I don't remember. I think we should get about 15 weeks of vacation a year.

Walmart after work, then I don't know what. I need to get the van down into the back yard, maybe I'll do that before we get rain again. The yard is very soft back there and any rain at all and a vehicle sinks right down. I should just pave the whole yard. I don't think Tiger would appreciate that.

Have a good day everyone.

Old July 14th, 2024 | 08:10 AM

Hey guys - I'm still around!

Jim - Pretty pic on the lake, looks like a wonderful way to spend the day.

Norm - I hope you find the source of ignition woes on the JD. Knowing you, you won't stop until you do!

Mike - Hope ya get out early and can enjoy the rest of your day.

I was literally out of pocket all day yesterday at a car show at the Moose Lodge in Union, MO which is about 60-miles from me. Left my house at 6:45am, and didn't get home until about 5:15pm. Very warm and humid yesterday, with a high of 94 and heat index of 103. The drive home was a scorcher for me with no A/C, but at least the car didn't overheat. Max temp the car got to was about 205° sitting at a stoplight, moving down the road it would go back down to about 190°. I never did have to switch on the auxiliary pusher fan. I usually don't use the auxiliary fan until it starts inching past 205°. At the Show I did not place in my Class (1950 -1975 Stock), they gave out 2 places, nor did I win any special awards, but I still had a great time with great people, great music, and great food.

Prior to yesterday I had every intention of joining some guys from our Old's Club at another show in Columbia, IL today. However, it is supposed to be even hotter today than yesterday (heat warning), and after the long day yesterday I decided I've had enough car fun for one weekend.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 14th, 2024 at 08:19 AM.
Old July 14th, 2024 | 08:39 AM
Running On Empty

Success. >90% of all electrical/wiring issues are ground (-) related. Ground strap from BATT>engine block rock solid. Smaller ground wire from engine block (same point of attachment as BATT>engine block for ground strap) through IGN SW>starter>solenoid>relay was not even attached to the engine block bolt. That wire found its way to wedge itself under the engine block where the engine block attaches to the frame - so it was running for some time. Finally, it managed to no longer be wedged in that position yielding a no ground condition throughout the starting/run circuit. Entirely all on me - when I did the full tear down tune-up, I either forgot to attach that wire or thought it was attached when I was fastening the ground strap. I am one extremely happy camper.