The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2024, 02:05 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Man, let me tell you this was a very serious challenge though. I managed and just this moment finished. It was excruciating because I could not validate any two-factor authentication for the setup because I could not even get into the phone to use the phone. I feel I just tackled the first base camp of Mt. Everest. Still lots more to setup but at least I can set it up now. Ugh.

IOW you can't get two-factor authentication via a text message if you cannot access the phone itself. What a disaster it was to configure.
Old August 6th, 2024, 02:08 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Are you getting hammered with rain from the storm going up the coast?
I have been face down on the keyboard for >1 hour with Apple. I can hear thunder, I hear rain, I see lightning. That's all I know for now. I'll update later.
Old August 6th, 2024, 02:14 PM
Running On Empty

I can see four frontal boundaries associated w/ Debby. Third frontal boundary, which is the third furthest/outside band of Debby is now directly upon us here as post-tropical depression eye wall now moves into and set above Savannah, GA & Charleston, SC.
As I said the other day, this is now the point of stalling out over Savannah & Charleston. If it stalls there, then shifts Northward, it will be catastrophic for that area because it will remains there for a good period of time before it moves Northward if that's what it's going to do. Dumping 16" - 20" of rain in 10 hours and up to 25" in some local areas. "If" it holds true, it would be historical to say the least. They're saying something on the order of once per thousand years - hard to imagine.
Old August 6th, 2024, 02:15 PM
Running On Empty

Another view demonstrates Debby has certainly stalled in that location.
Old August 6th, 2024, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Man, let me tell you this was a very serious challenge though.
👍 Glad you got through the toughest part!
Old August 6th, 2024, 02:24 PM
Running On Empty

Did I win the lottery? It feels like it.

John - You (obviously) will not experience my anguish because you will have your current phone to transfer info/data to your new phone. And, I will say, because mine is an iPhone, it was far more difficult as opposed to an Android/Samsung device.
Old August 6th, 2024, 02:36 PM

Norm - Thanks for the latest detailed update on Debby!
Old August 6th, 2024, 04:30 PM
Running On Empty

They moved (updated) greatest amount of possible significant rainfall (25"+) Northward into North Carolina, Wilmington area.
I reside at the purple arrow, Wilmington is ~90 miles South of me. I think it means beginning Thursday afternoon into late Thursday night the (pink) area would expect to see the heaviest aspects of significant accumulated rainfall.

Old August 6th, 2024, 04:37 PM

Holy crap Norm. How are you sitting as far as elevation and drainage around the main house and man cave. I know in the past you have shared some high water levels on one area of your property, I understand 25+ is unprecedented, you going to fare ok?
Old August 6th, 2024, 04:39 PM

I think it means beginning Thursday afternoon into late Thursday night the (pink) area would expect to see the heaviest aspects of significant accumulated rainfall.
If that model turns out to be correct, it looks like you'll be in the 4" - 6" band. Could be much worse, at least you're not in the +12" bands. I hope that turns out to be the case.
Old August 6th, 2024, 05:30 PM

Sounds like you have really gotten your money's worth out of the old MTD even if she's down for the count.
Damn thing lives. I was concerned the deck was rusting out, but it's fine there. I poured the oil and gas out, pulled the plug, tilted the thing on its side and rotated the blade. I noticed an obvious bent shaft, and it was fortuitously bent perpendicular to the blade. This meant that I could put the blade sideways (left to right) and adjust the angle of the shaft in a downward direction. Via sledgehammer. About ten whacks. Got it straight as it was going to get, put plug in, oiled and fueled, and the thing fired right up and gave no *****. I think that there is an additional noise, I may have added some bearing clearance by doing bodyman work to an engine, but I cut the whole area of my yard I can't get with the rider due to slopes and roots and stumps. Very carefully played "find the stump" and mowed around them. I'll weedwhack them clear, paint them bright orange, and chainsaw them in one session flush later.

Still need to do some random pushmowing elsewhere, but the mean green is back running, so I can do it tomorrow with it. It's getting near the end of the growing season, so I need to clean up the property for fall and winter. Hedge trimming, weed whacking, spraying herbicide, burning the dead weeds, and bonfiring the branches and clippings. And a few more mows, probably 5.
Old August 6th, 2024, 05:46 PM

John - That MTD is like a Timex, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking!
Old August 6th, 2024, 05:50 PM

The high today was 95°. The cold front has arrived, the temp is already down to 75°F at 7:40pm. This is gonna be an incredible stretch of weather for August in StL.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 6th, 2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old August 6th, 2024, 06:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Holy crap Norm. How are you sitting as far as elevation and drainage around the main house and man cave. I know in the past you have shared some high water levels on one area of your property, I understand 25+ is unprecedented, you going to fare ok?
Keith - Yeah. 90 miles away is significantly enough removed from me. Storm surge shouldn't be too bad if any - maybe a couple feet. I reside 12' above sea level w/ excellent numbers of creeks, tributaries, rivers, and a large estuary environment to contain significant rainfall. Thanks for the concern.

UPDATE: Just checked the recent update. They have now reduced the highest amount of rainfall in any area to 12" - 16" and that's mostly same previous areas but significantly less; yet, that amount is huge. My area might receive 5" - 6". This is a huge welcomed relief to all the other areas which will be affected.

Old August 6th, 2024, 06:05 PM
Running On Empty

John - Nice job with the BFH. Good description - you just might have introduced some extra bearing clearance. Well played.

Chris - You lucky bugger down to 75°F.
Old August 6th, 2024, 06:13 PM
Running On Empty

As a post-tropical depression rotating on land although it's on the coastline Debby isn't going to produce any storm surge in this area whatsoever. South from Wilmington through Myrtle Beach will get maybe 6" - 10".
Old August 6th, 2024, 06:31 PM
Running On Empty

Disturbance 1 while at 10% chance of near future development will likely move into the SW area of Gulf of Mexico w/in next x2 days as the jet stream and winds aloft steer both Debby & Disturbance 1 Northward. Should Disturbance 1 continue to development, which is a good chance over Gulf of Mexico, it may develop and Texas would/could be in its path.

Old August 6th, 2024, 06:40 PM

Norm, good to see that you won't get washed away. The weather will cool down for the weekend, mid '70's on Saturday, with dew points in the 50's. It will be nice for a car show in Coopersville, Mi. about 20 miles from me. Picked up 2.125" of the wet stuff today, and 1" over the weekend. That saves on the water bill.
Old August 6th, 2024, 06:42 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Thanks. I'd prefer to remain in this location.
Old August 6th, 2024, 07:03 PM

Debbie does Delco?
Old August 6th, 2024, 07:07 PM
Running On Empty

Debby is desperate - takes what she can get.
Old August 6th, 2024, 07:31 PM
Running On Empty

Not sure what's going on w/ Delco. They used the town as a filming area based on location next to Wilmington. But, w/ a population of ~250 humans w/in a 1.5 mile radius and an elementary school which was closed I'm suspicious humans are leaving Delco and there is little migration into Delco. I looked up a town somewhere once and did some reading about it. I $hit you not...this town had more churches in the town than it had families. I think 10 families lived in town i.e. like 10 houses - maybe. My best guess was everyone who attended any of these churches, and there were a lot of them (twenty maybe) had to reside in the boonies and everyone elected to build their own church in this town.
Old August 6th, 2024, 07:59 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Are you aware of what's going on in West Texas? More than 100 earthquakes in the period of one week alone and many more.
Old August 6th, 2024, 08:24 PM

Chris - Are you aware of what's going on in West Texas? More than 100 earthquakes in the period of one week alone and many more.
No, I have not heard about it, I'll have to look it up. Good news is, a bunch of small ones will probably eliminate the Big One.
Old August 6th, 2024, 08:27 PM
Running On Empty

No, I have not heard about it, I'll have to look it up. Good news is, a bunch of small ones will probably eliminate the Big One.
I've been following it more or less since it began. I'm aware of the cause/effect. Just curious if you were following along.
Old August 6th, 2024, 08:44 PM

I've been following it more or less since it began. I'm aware of the cause/effect. Just curious if you were following along.
I wasn't up on it, but I am now. You can't continue to inject high pressure fluids and/or gases into an an area with already unstable fractured strata and expect the plates aren't going to let loose and move at some point. Idiots, trying to get every ounce of crude out of there they can get, and to hell with the folks living there!
Old August 6th, 2024, 08:47 PM
Running On Empty

I wasn't up on it, but I am now. You can't continue to inject high pressure fluids and/or gases into an an area with already unstable fractured strata and expect the plates aren't going to let loose and move at some point. Idiots, trying to get every ounce of crude out of there they can get, and to hell with the folks living there!
That pretty much sums up the general ideas. Concerning is not only the increasing number of earthquakes but the magnitude of the earthquakes appears to be increasing. Sounds like a nice recipe, eh?
Old August 6th, 2024, 08:51 PM
Running On Empty

Without having to decipher all data available @ USGS, you can go here as they collect earthquake data and you can change some parameters to search on e.g. magnitude. I've been sorting on size for some time...they seem to be increasing in magnitude. West Texas going to sink into oblivion.

https://earthquaketrack.com/r/wester...t?mag_filter=4
Old August 6th, 2024, 09:06 PM

That pretty much sums up the general ideas. Concerning is not only the increasing number of earthquakes but the magnitude of the earthquakes appears to be increasing. Sounds like a nice recipe, eh?
I was trying to scan as many sources as I could quickly. I read there was a 4.9 on July 22nd and a 5.1 on July 27th, the 2 highest during the period of July 22nd thru the 29th when the greatest frequency occurred. I couldn't find any information on frequency within the past week. If I were betting, I'd say the frequency and the magnitude will settle down for awhile, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it!
Old August 6th, 2024, 09:21 PM

Without having to decipher all data available @ USGS, you can go here as they collect earthquake data and you can change some parameters to search on e.g. magnitude. I've been sorting on size for some time...they seem to be increasing in magnitude. West Texas going to sink into oblivion.

https://earthquaketrack.com/r/wester...t?mag_filter=4
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Old August 7th, 2024, 03:49 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

What a beautiful morning to drive in with the top down. Man I just love a convertible. I had a convertible when I lived up home. We were shorted a few months of top down weather but when we could, boy howdy it was nice. Plus the Miata top is so easy. One latch and it folds back and locks down. Unlike the GM bullshit where you lower a little then go tuck it in, lower a little more tuck more. You know I had a 70 Cutlass years ago and I'd push the button and the top would go down and I'd be on my way. The 70 Cutlass I have now is the lower and tuck business. I don't know why the same car would work differently.

Had two wall guys this morning and they were working feverishly but didn't produce any cards to sign. Couldn't tell you why. Then after 5 it was a deluge of cards. Go figure. I'm guessing at this point the lead will be gone all week. Fine by me.

I've never knowingly been in an earthquake. One time(at band camp) I was home watching TV all evening and my sister was at a meeting at the church. She came home and said, did you feel the earthquake? I hadn't. Watching the news at night they said there was an earthquake most noticed in the south suburbs. Not a very strong one. I'd have thought all the time I've spent in California I'd have been in an earthquake. Nope.

Gonna take the convertible to the bodyshop after work so they can repaint the bumper. You may remember back in June some broad swiped the back end of my car while not paying attention coming out of the gas station. I found it odd that the insurance company just wrote me a check. Didn't say anything about my insurance company or my lien holder, just sent me the money. I could probably buff it out and it would look okay, but I'm not gonna.

Okay time to hurry up and wait. Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Old August 7th, 2024, 05:07 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
What a beautiful morning to drive in with the top down. Man I just love a convertible. I had a convertible when I lived up home. We were shorted a few months of top down weather but when we could, boy howdy it was nice. Plus the Miata top is so easy. One latch and it folds back and locks down. Unlike the GM bullshit where you lower a little then go tuck it in, lower a little more tuck more. You know I had a 70 Cutlass years ago and I'd push the button and the top would go down and I'd be on my way. The 70 Cutlass I have now is the lower and tuck business. I don't know why the same car would work differently.
I'm going to say it's because your top, either the fabric alone or the hardware, is not the original & when it was replaced either the fabric is significantly different &/or the cross-rails, attachment points, etc. were not aligned to specification(s). You really have to follow the Fisher Body Service Manual to get it right. If anyone knows it's most likely Kenneth as he's done the complete tear down & installation while I have not. My 1971 CS had a new top & worked flawlessly.
Old August 7th, 2024, 08:53 AM

Mike - Glad you're driving and enjoying your Spider! I have only owned one Vert, a 1997 Ford Mustang GT that I bought used in 2003 with fairly high mileage on it. The electric top worked flawlessly. I really enjoyed that car until my divorce in 2006 and moved into my new house. The entrance to the subdivision has a huge hill with a curve and you can't get a running start at it. Even with traction control you weren't going to get up that hill with a Mustang if there was any amount of snow on it. Since the Mustang was my daily driver I ended up trading it for something with FWD.

Wow, it's not supposed to get above 78° today, and then high 70's the rest of the week thru Sunday, just unbelievable for August in StL. Gabe has another hockey Skills Day this evening that I'm going to. Not much else on my plate today other than the usual daily routine.

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old August 7th, 2024, 09:09 AM
Always room for one more

Chris you could have always gone up the hill in reverse. That would be sort of front wheel drive.

Just got back from lunch. A friend of mine I used to work with came and picked me up in his company truck(he works in the hangar) and we went to this place. The new people are still doing it right so I keep going. Got back to my desk at a quarter till, I had one wheel waiting. Signed it off and now I'm caught up. Sheesh.

Norm neither of those tops were new. I suspect you're right about my current one not being in adjustment.

So since it took me a year to paint the spare bedroom I thought I'd cheat and have someone paint the living room for me. My punishment for not doing it myself is it's going to cost me 1200 bucks. Ouch! He's going to fix a couple spots on the walls, fill the nail holes and sand, and he said it will take three coats to cover the ridiculous colors that are in there now. I'm going to buy the paint. He's coming next week with his helper. Mom will be pleased. That only means I'll have to get going on the floor. Hm, I wonder if this guy does floors...

I wonder if my bucket in the bathtub is overflowing yet.

Old August 7th, 2024, 09:38 AM

Chris you could have always gone up the hill in reverse. That would be sort of front wheel drive.
Nice, I got a good chuckle out of that! Too bad you're not close, my wife would take on your painting job for much less. Hard to believe he's saying it's gonna take 3 coats if you buy high quality paint. Two coats I completely understand, but three, it sounds like he's trying to pad his labor hours for going over it 3 times? Just my 2-cents. I hope he does a good job for you.
Old August 7th, 2024, 09:53 AM
Always room for one more

No the living room is partly maroon, partly blue, partly orange. It's grotesque. The orange and maroon were there when I moved in, the blue I started, but got about a 1/3 done and decided I had selected Walmart blue. Then the project stalled and never went forward. Mom has been pretty patient with this awful ensemble, so after getting the bedroom painted I thought I'd surprise her and get the living room painted. This guy has done work for me before and he's done tons of work for my neighbor, so if he says three coats, three coats it is. He put in the door and window in the kitchen last year. He also built me an awesome set of stairs off my back porch several years ago. It's nice to have "a guy." He does good work.

Old August 7th, 2024, 10:05 AM

No the living room is partly maroon, partly blue, partly orange. It's grotesque. The orange and maroon were there when I moved in, the blue I started, but got about a 1/3 done and decided I had selected Walmart blue. Then the project stalled and never went forward. Mom has been pretty patient with this awful ensemble, so after getting the bedroom painted I thought I'd surprise her and get the living room painted. This guy has done work for me before and he's done tons of work for my neighbor, so if he says three coats, three coats it is. He put in the door and window in the kitchen last year. He also built me an awesome set of stairs off my back porch several years ago. It's nice to have "a guy." He does good work.
Mike - I understand, and it's nice you have "a guy" you trust that's done good work for you in the past! Hope it turns out beautifully and your Mom is pleased.
Old August 7th, 2024, 12:58 PM

Norm I'm having trouble finding a dryer part ( s) I wonder if you could help me locate the main boards

Last edited by Jamesbo; August 7th, 2024 at 01:22 PM.
Old August 7th, 2024, 01:49 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm I'm having trouble finding a dryer part ( s) I wonder if you could help me locate the main boards
Jim - Sure thing. I just returned home. Let me have a look.
Old August 7th, 2024, 01:54 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Found parts for it. Do you know what you need?