The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

It's 58 in here this morning and 40 outside. I had the stove going last night and had it up to 83 in here. It was actually a little uncomfortable. So I turned the ceiling fan on and that pushed some heat into the rest of the house. Very toasty. Clint I've known people to turn on their oven with the door open and then go away on vacation.

If I didn't have Tiger I wouldn't call the gas company at all. One year I didn't and the coldest it got in the house was 32. I had a space heater going in my bedroom and another bedroom whenever I was home. Wore a jacket to work in the kitchen, had the TV in the room, I didn't plan on going the whole winter, just to make a point to myself because at the time gas bills were north of 400 a month. Suddenly spring came around and I didn't need it.

Jamesbo safe trip. Chicken Day is coming up already?

Don't know what I'm doing today. I should work on the camping trailer because I want to sell it. At any given time there's about 5 Airstreams on craigslist for sale that are gutted out projects. So mine will be 6.

Okay Awful house. Have a good day everyone.
Old October 30th, 2017, 09:57 AM

Allan, When it's below 32 the greens freeze and from what I understand Walking on them as they start to thaw rips the short grass from it roots
Old October 31st, 2017, 05:50 AM

mawn'in

Chili,

Welp, I may not be out of pocket as long as I first planned, Got an e-mail that said, I can pick up the marker anytime after today
So, I got alot to do today to get ready

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 31st, 2017, 06:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning and happy Halloween,

Cold here this morning and snowing. Spoda be like this all day.

The floor installers only got half the job done yesterday so they're Spoda be back at 8:30 to git r done. They're planning to be here till 6:30.....which will likely interfere with the goblins and ghouls visits.

Still waiting on that fuel pump. If it had been here yesterday I could easily have done it even with the temps being around 45*. Now that it's snowing, not so much.

Jim, use temp greens and yer golden. Either that or anything lands on the green is a gimme.

Last edited by Allan R; October 31st, 2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old October 31st, 2017, 11:22 AM

Evening.

Just stopped to say hello, tired and feeling a bit sick. See ya.

Have a good week everyone.
Old October 31st, 2017, 12:38 PM

Just got back from the DMV, $197 lighter in the wallet. Mandatory plate replacement after 10 years, new mug shot and registration. Had hail, rain and snow, but nothing sticking so far, but more rain over the next week...jeesh, enough already. 'spose I should get the snowblower ready for another season.
Old October 31st, 2017, 04:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone

Nice out, got up to 68 today. Mowed the whole yard and trimmed a little. Now the mower is completely out of gas and ready for winter. Dan I don't envy you getting the snow blower out. Did that many years.

Didn't go as crazy with the stove last night, only got into the 70s in here. My Mom gave me two big bins full of old tax papers and whatnot from about a hundred years ago. She said she doesn't trust the bank people to put them in the big truck when it comes around and shreds everything. So now I have burn fodder for all winter.

So Jamesbo what's on that man's grave now? Nothing? When you get the marker are you sure you're putting it in the right spot?

Okay off to work. Gotta work all four this week. Loads of fun. Not. Have a good evening everyone.
Old November 1st, 2017, 02:30 AM

Morning all

Went to the knee doc yesterday to get the results of my scan and I have a cracking under the knee cap, basically minute fissures that are a sign of pre arthritis. So it's 8 weeks of intensive physio to avoid a nasty operation. I'll let you know if it works.

Sorry to hear that NYC has joined us in Grand Theft Islam, our thoughts are with you guys.

Weather is chilly in the mornings and ok by the afternoon, up to the mid 50s and I'm still in my shorts!

Well, the knee doc has told me to avoid anything too strenuous so I'm off shopping on my own. I need a couple of winter sweaters and I also need to get a new tux for my wife's award ceremony. At least the shops won't be too busy.

Mike, the best thing I ever did with my yard was putting in the artificial grass, now my mower has run out of gas permanently. The worst I have to do is vacuum it twice a year.

Have a great day and stay safe.
Old November 1st, 2017, 04:12 AM
CQR

Mornin.

Hole everyone survived the day of the dead. just set the bowl of candy out by the street since we are still in construction mode in front of the house.

Have a day all.
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:00 AM

mawn'in

Warmer and spose to be nice fer a few days.

Mike, Our survey company sets rebar pins and on top of them a round numbered disc. in the center of 4 lots. So if you're standing on # 1035 [for example] its # 1035 A,B,C,D going clockwise. It's really easy plus we keep records about 4 ways cross referenced. date of sale, date of burial, file for each lot and alphabetically. So if someone says, Whose is 1035 A we look in the file [or the space lot journal] and it says Joe Jones, If someone wants to know where Joe Jones is we look in the alphabetical file and he's in 1035 A

BTW a friend of mine just severely panned the Dillard House on FB

London, Good luck with the knee, Ya think swimming would help?

Gosh, This could become the Home improvement thread with all y'all werk going on.

I'm gonna be out of here for a few days [If I don't get called back for a funeral]

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,

Flooring company was short 2 boxes of planks so the jobs isn't quite done. Bad news is they won't be back for awhile to finish the job. I bought new parts and wax ring for the commode and installed it with no difficulty. They have some very interesting water valves now for tanks that don't use ballcock floats or vertical slides. Spoda be quieter and more reliable too.

Halloween was a bit busier this year but still subdued. Maybe the cold weather, maybe cuz it's a school night. Most kids nowadays just go to the mall it seems.

Sorry to,hear about the knee London. I am not a fan of physio.

Jouni, I hope you're feeling better soon and it's just something minor.

Dan, that sounds about par even for here. I wish there was mandatory plate replacement here. You should see how some of them are badly degraded. I also wish they'd go back to a 2 plate system and use reflective paint.

Fresh snow for the commute this morning and a brisk 30*. Hopefully peeps are starting to adjust to the fact winter is upon us.
Old November 1st, 2017, 08:27 AM

I think that 75% of the kids that went around last night were from out of the area. I am sorta split on this because well, this isn't where they live, but on the other hand, they want their kids to be safe when trick or treating. There were a lot of cute little ones that's for sure, my pumpkin was bigger than many of them (161#).
Old November 1st, 2017, 12:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The drive to curling this morning was a cou mute straight from hell. Roads were not sanded and early morning rain froze the surfaces into skating rinks. It took me an hour and a half to get to the Saville, which is normally a 35 minute drive. Got a notification from fedex that my fuel pump should be here by end of day.

Jouni, you'd love it here except for the lack of saunas.
Old November 1st, 2017, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got an Exederin 3 headache going, but nothing to take for it. I'll grab some acetaminophen off the plane when I get to work. All I have at home is the PM version. Heck I'd be asleep before I got into the parking lot.

All Hallow's Eve seems to have come and gone without issue. The place looks the same so hopefully no one went past my barriers. Tiger didn't seem at all upset so I'll call that a success.

Jamesbo what was your friend's beef with the chicken?

Guess I'll head that way. Day 2 of not feeling it. Last night wasn't so bad, not a lot of work but a lot of confusion because the lead doesn't seem to know what he's doing. Unless he's watching YouTube videos. Then he's an expert.

Okay have a good night everyone.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,
Cold and snowy here. Currently -12 and a bit of wind to make it feel colder.

Last night I dropped the Saturn off at a shop for its heart transplant. Hopefully it's done later today. I think I might need to chase down a vacuum leak too because idle was unusually high and I don't think it's the IAC.

Guess I should head outside and shovel the walks and drive.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 11:09 AM

Evening.

Off from work, off from sauna. Sipping beer, could ya have quessed..?
Feeling better, but been working nonetheless. Its getting damn cold to be outside whole day and try to do something productive. Theres still snow on the ground where i live, it hasnt melted.

Allan R - If i would move somewhere, it probably would be Canada. No lies- ive been thinking this numerous times. So far, im mostly happy where i live currently

Tomorrow for work, then were heading last time this year to my wifes parents summer cottage for weekend.

Have a good day everyone!
Old November 2nd, 2017, 04:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

So, another guy posted that it's milestone week for him. Today I've owned my green Oldsmobile for 33 years. I remember the day I bought it. My Mom gave me a lift over to the people's house after school, I went home long enough to get changed for work and went to work. Today that car is a rusted flattened heap. But I still have it and as the saying goes, I'll get to it one day.

Not much else. Day 3. Last night got out around 3, but stayed to help a guy and then left around 4. Didn't sleep worth two hoots today.

Okay one more. Have a good night everyone.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thursday close

Well the Saturn lives to die another day.... Sounds almost James Bondish doesn't it? The replacement fuel pump is in and seems to be working just fine. One thing that pissed me off though was they siphoned out all the gas, and didn't put it back. Instead they sent someone to the gas station next door and got $20 of fuel. That's nothing up here where gas is next to gold. Not enough to get to the 1/4 full mark on the gauge. When the car went in it had almost 3/4 of a tank of fuel and they just turfed it??? Total BS. Even the counter staff said they should have informed me that the fuel was not going to be re-used. Stupid, really stupid because it was fresh; less than 2 weeks old and the tank was clean. If I knew that, I would have siphoned it out myself and saved $35.00 at the pumps.

I was wrong about the IAC. When I parked the Saturn in the garage and put it into neutral, the rpms jumped to 2700 and stayed there. In drive it went down to around 1300. Under the hood I could find no vacuum leaks so I took off the TB and removed the IAC. I had a spare in the cupboard so I checked the IAC pintle and also the pintle seat in the TB. Everything looked good/clean so I installed it and replaced the TB. Now it starts just fine, and rpms are up at 1400, then drops to around 1000 which is still about 200 too high. In gear it's running not too bad at around 800 rpms. Still a tad high. I might just go to NAPA and get a replacement IAC because this one, while better, still takes longer than it should to get rpms down. I'm going to test it tomorrow and drive it to curling. Maybe it just needed to be more warmed up.

I also noticed that there's a significant difference opening the fuel cap. Seems to be a lot more pressure venting through it now than before. I don't know if that's normal or not. Up till the fuel pump was replaced there was never any pressure hissing out of the cap as it came undone. Hmmm, maybe the pump was defective from day 1?? Never know, the AC compressor was......

Another group of oak baseboards got their 2 coats of satin varathane today. Only 1 more set to do. Good thing I made a schematic for all these pieces and labelled them as they came off. They're going to look awesome when they're installed.

Jouni - Canada would welcome you with open arms. Someday when you're ready, come over for a visit and see what it's like. Probably a lot like Finland, except bigger. One of our other members (Adrian) is coming over to Canada from Australia in a month to do some touring and land hunting. His plan is to move here soon. His focus is mostly in British Columbia which is the most westerly province. Also one of the most expensive to live in.

Jim, enjoy your sabbatical.

Clint, how soon till the construction nightmare is over? Ours will be over next Tuesday or Thursday - knock on wood. After that it's just up to me to do some painting and replace some of the wall plugs/switches to designer ones the missus picked out. Good thing I tested the counter plugs and breakers. Turns out they are split circuits. Have to remember to break off that connecting tab on the + side before turning the breakers back on.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 08:34 AM

Hey, where'd everybody go! It's pert neer noon, and I'm the first?
Old November 3rd, 2017, 01:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Dan!
Just got back from curling and a trip to NAPA. The replacement idle air control doesn't seem to hold its learn curve so I have to replace it. When it works it's great, when it doesn't it's crap. Fortunately it's not expensive. Installation is pretty fast too.

Still not nice here but peeps are getting used to it.

Yeah, without Jim or Clint to start the day it gets pretty quiet.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 04:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Dan it's been a couple weeks how is the Santa Fe? If I had to guess I'd say this is the core group. Haven't heard from Darrell or Paul for ages nor anyone else. Too bad, really.

Got a bit of a sprinkle this afternoon. Don't know where it came from, but it didn't last long. I had just said, what a beautiful day I hope the weekend is the same. Hm.

Friday. This week hasn't been half bad. Maybe it's my new outlook. Maybe work is finally getting it. No that can't be it.

Okay gonna hit it and quit it. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 09:23 PM

Allan, if you get tired of the Saturn, do you have any idea what you might get to replace it? Mike, it's doing fine, a little sluggish getting up to speed in a hurry, zero to 40 is a little tedious, once on the highway, no problem going from 50-60mph to 70+. Had a road trip two weeks ago of 100+ miles, down U.S.31 and two lane back roads, averaged 31mpg. Brother and his wife like it, as does my sis. I haven't had any garage doors sneak up on me again, so I'm good there!
Old November 4th, 2017, 05:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning

Bob the builder should be coming over sometime after 10 am to finish off the flooring. He's an older guy who got called in by butt crack one to make sure they got finished on time. That was until they ran out of product. Someone from the flooring company was Spoda call Tuesday night to let me know when the completion would be. Nope, nothing but crickets chirping. Bob called yesterday while I was out curling so I called him back and said today would be fine. He's going to his grandsons hockey game first....

Dan, I'm already tired of it. I think I'd look around at the market both new and used. One of the brands I'm thinking about is Mitsubishi. Their products and warranty are really quite impressive lately. I'd also look at Hyundai as I rather like my sonata and it's a wonderful performer. The new Malibu and some of the blue oval offerings would also be contenders. Not looking for an expensive replacement.

London, you get fitted for your new tux? I'm not really a dress up kind of guy so I don't own a tux. I just rent one if I need it.

Jouni, we have both ice and snow on the ground and it's not melting either. Roadways is Spoda be trying a new approach to de-icing the roads. They're putting liquid calcium chloride on it. So far as I can see it hasn't made a rats *** bit of difference.

Scott seems to be back on the road again...and mebbe Jim is too? Safe travels to both of you.

Enjoy your weekend.
Old November 4th, 2017, 07:54 AM

Afternoon all,

Just finished work and I'm bushed so I'm now laying on my sofa with my feet up waiting for wife to make me some lunch.

Allan, yep, I've got the tux sorted and even managed to find a nice bright waistcoat and bow tie. You can't go wrong with the Mitsubishi nowadays. I'm on my third one and I will defo get another one in the next 18 months when they are planning to unveil a new hybrid version of my truck.

Started with a wet morning followed by a bit of sun, now it's cloudy with temps in mid 50s so not bad.

Mike, I went shopping last week and I thought of you. There's a shop that sells upmarket food called Tiger, just wondering if your dog is branching out!
Old November 4th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Glad the work week is over. All in all not a bad week, but I'm sure tired of the games the leads play.

London I think that's what Tiger does to pass the time when I'm at work. He needs to cut me in.

Awful house and a couple errands. Then I don't know what. It's nice out maybe we'll do some yard work. Not feeling motivated, maybe some scattered smothered would help that.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old November 5th, 2017, 05:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,

Woohoo! Only -15 here this morning so about 5* warmer than yesterday morning. The new furnace is doing a wonderful job maintaining temp in the house, and the smart wifi thermosat automatically adjusted for end of dst early this mawnin. Sometimes technology is good.

I went back to the auto store that installed the fuel pump cuz I was still pissed about them throwing away 3/4 of a tank of fuel, and then charging me another $20 to put 17L in afterwards. Bastards also charged me tax on top of the fuel cost at the pump which is incredibly wrong. Anywho, I spoke with Kyle and he said I would get reimbursed for all the fuel because no one advised me they would throw the perfectly good fuel away. It has to go through their service manager first but I was reassured it would happen on Monday. With fuel here currently running $1.25/ L ($4.72/US gal) I figure they should credit me back somewhere in the range of $45.00

London, yup I'm impressed with the Lancer as its about the right size. There's a few 2017 stock listed at reasonable prices, but I haven't decided to pull the trigger yet.

Jim, you on your way? Some of us have been holding down the fort whilst you been away.

Jouni, you busy enjoying beer and sauna? yeah, that was dumb and rhetorical at the same time.

Damn, it's gonna be dark longer this morning....oh well.
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:04 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Maybe we can advertise for people to come post here. A sticky maybe, or someone standing on the street corner in a sandwich board.

I think I'll stay home the rest of the day. This dame at the Awful house got a to go order, and then took it all apart and pushed most of it over into my space. Then she wouldn't leave! Kept asking for more things. Then multiple people driving around the gas station just pull out and don't give a damn about traffic. Then Walmart. I could go on for days about that place. A bunch of low-class people. Though I go there so what does it say about me. Rant over. I'm sick of people.

Had a bunch of rain last night. Still overcast and wet out, it will be inside stuff today. I'm sure the place could use a little cleaning.

Happy Birthday Dan. Hope you whoop it up good.

Who knows anything about late model Dodge trucks with the diesel? Don't know if I mentioned I might be needing a dually, and the Dodge seems to be the one most available. Maybe that says something. Of course hiring out moving something on the rare occasion I'd need to is way cheeper than buying something, but what fun is that?

Well I guess I'll go find something to get into. I'm gonna change the clocks later on. I like looking at it and thinking, hey I have another hour. Have a good day everyone.
Old November 5th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Happy birthday Dan!
Old November 5th, 2017, 09:38 AM

Evening.

Good times at summer cottage, last time for a while, until its spring and warm again.
Had good conversations with my wifes father, drinked beer and brandy, sitted at sauna etc.. Great weekend. Now heating up the fireplace, and ater its burned, gonna do some sausages there to ease my hunger.

Allan R - +5 here now, and next week its promised to stay over zero. Great! Hope you got your little adventure settled with good and get refunded

Hmm, new week at work waiting... 6 weeks anymore max, oh yeah! Then im out!
Have a good sunday-evening guys
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well crap. On a cold start the Saturn starts as it should and idle goes to normal within a few minutes. As it warms up the idle comes down to fully normal. BUT! Let it sit for half hour and it refuses to start. Could I have 2 bad fuel pumps in a row???? This is getting old really fast. I wonder if the shop did a bleed down test on the new pump to see if it has a bad check valve. I guess this means a trip to autozone and use their tool loaner program so I can check it myself. Anyone else have any thoughts why the hard start after 1/2 hour?

The only short term solution I can think of is to cycle the fuel pump a couple times by keying the prime circuit with the key a couple times. I don't want to start using flood mode to start the car.
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:28 PM

Thanks guys. I got two free dinners in two days, not too shabby. Mike, the Dodge diesels are Cummings, and those engines have a good reputation.
Old November 6th, 2017, 04:02 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, the check valve is in the pump, so that would be replaced at the same time the pump is. If you are having to put your foot to the floor to get it to start(clear flood mode) then it's not a pump problem but rather a leaky injector or possibly a ruptured FPR.

Happy belated Dan,

Have to go to finish filling the rolloff container. the yard looks better just in time for the snow.

Have a day.
Old November 6th, 2017, 04:07 AM

mawn'in

Did cha miss me?

Gonna go smack whitey for 9 and then have a funeral. So,Mike, I'm gonna miss chicken

I'll check in later and catch up

have a great day Olds friends
Old November 6th, 2017, 04:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Yes Jamesbo I missed you. And I'll continue to miss you since you aren't going for chicken.

So it's up to the North Georgia Mountains today to have the second best fried chicken I've ever had. But first, Awful house. Then I need to go pick up the Tiger mobile. Then I thought someone was coming to look at my camping trailer but he isn't. Geez I hate selling things.

Well the daylight is burning. Finally got all my clocks changed. Have a good day everyone.
Old November 6th, 2017, 06:59 AM

Good afternoon.

Was a rainy day, but thankfully not awful lot of work to do, and what we had, we did fast.
Soo, here i am, just ate, soon going to sauna.
My supervisor was thinking he would do good if he could organize us work to the end of the month. Sounds promising!

Have a day everyone!
Old November 6th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,

Anutter cold one here. Today I have to move some furniture so the carpet peeps can install tomorrow. Good thing I have help.

Looked on line for vehicles to replace the Saturn. It's going to be my sons call because he's footing the bill. Saw a really nice low mile Focus SEL in titanium white, and a new Lancer that's being cleared for $4k less than list, it also qualifies for .9% finance and a winter tire package. Much as I'd like him to go new, I think the ford is the better deal.

Jim, welcome back. You were gone???? No one even noticed...... Mebbe her rusty so I'll guess 46

Jouni, there's definitely no paving going on here. May as well take the work while you can. How do you survive when the season shuts down and there's no work? Let me know after I finish these beers and have my sauna...

Clint, thanks. I might just run the Saturn till its empty and sell it. Starting to cost too much and when somethings not reliable anymore there's no point banging heads against a brick wall. Are you filling up the bin at the shop or at home?

London, I'll let ya know what we decide. Another option was looking at Mazda. They seem to also be a good car. I won't buy Honda, Toyota, or Nissan because they're grossly overpriced. The newer Cruze and Malibu from Chevy are also possibilities.

Enjoy your day back at the salt mines.
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:36 AM

Ill survive easily....
Ill get payed around 120$ per day for sitting at home by our government/ unemployment system, so no problems

You should get rid of that Saturn, imo. All the time something breaking, time to go newer.
Ill have a Honda, i can say its been really reliable, but at the same time really boring. Like anything made in Japan, maybe except for Subaru. But thats just my opinion.
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni, that sounds like a hell of a deal. What kind of health care system does Finland have? Is it also govt funded?

Yeah, the Saturn is getting long in the tooth. Still looks like a new car and only has 180K km on it, but now it's becoming a money pit. Hardly worth spending anything more on a $500 car IMO. I could probably get that if I advertised it on the web. It also has 2 sets of tires. New summers last year, the winters are older but still in really good shape. No ABS or anything, but fairly loaded for the year it was built. Nothing lasts forever I guess. There are some sentimental values that go with it though. I bought that car for my wife to drive our son around in when he was just a baby. It was a huge improvement over the Pontiac Firefly she had. She also didn't want to drive my 1983 Ninety Eight Regency Brougham Sedan, she said it was too big. I can remember when fuel for that car was getting pricey at around 50¢/L. I only wish it was that now.
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:32 AM

Yes, we do have a public health-care system, funded by government.
But im prohibited to use it, even it really is top-notch; im allowed only to use Private health-care companies By the Company i work with, and they pay it all.
Thats due to get past all queues, and getting best possible care no expenses spared, to get you as fast as possible back to work.
They counted its still cheaper than a guy sitting at home injured/sick, also replacement-mens are like zero, which really is a great problem.

Theyve gone so far that it covers all incidents happening on my free-time also, including weekends.
Only thing it dont include is injuries from fighting/ self-defence sports, and mountain-climbing, and something else as ordinary

Last edited by Inline; November 6th, 2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:52 AM

Only thing it dont include is injuries from fighting/ self-defence sports, and mountain-climbing, and something else as ordinary
Inline, I also notice that insurance companies don't like people jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.