The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2014, 05:10 AM

Mawn'in all

Dan, Condolences on your loss. A friend will help youmove but a great friend will help you move a body.

John, Congrats, I can say It's very freeing to have less real-estate. Sorry, I don't pain decks. Better paint fast. Aren't ya fraid of permanently sealing sum leaves down?

Mike, get de kind of cut off wit de know. de utter one takes up too much room when it's off [up]

Sandy, Dat's de exact same problem I had sleeping after my wreck. My arm/shoulder was so fubar I couldn't use it to turn over or get up

And now for de News 'THEY'RE GONE

Old October 15th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone.

Got all the construction waste to the landfill yesterday. You wouldn't believe how incredibly well organized it is. They also have the only processer in North America that takes plastic bags and reverse engineers it back to oil products. Cost 85.00 to dump 1,290 kg of wood. That's 2838 lbs. Richard wouldn't let me pay him or put gas in the tank. He said friends helping friends is a freebie. I'm gonna do something for him like doing his sidewaks and driveway this winter. At least it's something.

Cool one here today, Spoda rain all afternoon.

John, congrats on the sale. Prolly a load off your mind. Hey, if y'all need a painting buddy I'm up for that. Got some good practice on de fence.

Jim, de kids leave yet and give ya back yer piece o kwiet?

Clint, I usually brew it bold too. Extra scoop of grind really "perks" up the flavor. Try some Arabica blend, it's stronger and has more flavor. Just curious. What's your opinion on mileage between oil change using synthetic 5/20? Is synthetic also time sensitive? The stuff in my Sonata has been in for over a year but only gone about 5500 miles. I'm thinking it should be changed since it's not expensive and it's really easy on that 3.3 V6.

Dan, how you holding up?

Well, time to head out to Awful House and then do an oil change. Hee hee hee, just kidding. Got my mawnin koffee settin beside me.

Enjoy your day.
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:00 AM

Allan, Clint & Jim, thanks for the condolences. Doing fine Allan, thanks.
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:44 AM

Clint, was this anywhere near you? http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-classic-cars/
Old October 15th, 2014, 11:42 AM
CQR

Wow. I hadn't heard about that. It's not far from me. About 40 minutes north. We Drive by Erie to go to our Winter Races.
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Running late tonight. Went next door to welcome the neighbors home and she just had dinner ready. So I ate with them and chatted and now I need to get going. I'm glad they're home, they've been gone since May. The food is a plus but I missed them anyway. So much for the 12lbs I lost last month...

Dan I'm so sorry about your friend. I've never lost a close friend, an aquaintence is bad enough.

Allan that was nice of your friend. I'm the same way. With friends it all comes around. No need to keep track.

Okay gotta split. It's Friday. Got plenty planned for my weekend. Have a good night everyone.
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:35 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, My idea on mileage is a bit different than most. If you are commuting around town then I recommend every 3000 miles no matter what oil you use. if you have 2500-3000 miles on oil that has only been on the highway (say a cross country trip, then it's ok to let it go 5000 miles.) I have never torn apart a failed motor due to 'conventional oil breakdown' It's usually due to heat or lack of oil. And Synthetic oil gets dirty just as conventional does. And the corrosive-ness comes from combustion not the crude.

Mike have a great weekend.

Jamesbo Congrats on the P&Q

Dan, Thats really a shame about the fire. Looks like there were some neat cars in there. I wonder if insurance had anything to do with it?

Well, I got my ballot in the mail yesterday. Listening to the news on the radio and they said if you want to stop the political calls at dinner time to hurry and send your ballot in.
Umm... How do political campaign groups know when or that you sent your ballot in? What happened to the sanctity of a the secret ballot? I guess I'm treading on that political line. I'll stop.

Have a Thursday all.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:38 AM

Well if it ain't one thing it's two

Ran up to de mountains to check on a tree dat fell across de road and guess what. I got a call dis mawn'in 'bout 6:00 from my sole neighbor dat de police and fire department was out there in front of my pastrue sawing 2 cars out from under a big oak dat fell across de street

Good news is 1] everyone is OK 2] it didn't hit a school bus by a few seconds 3] de one up here a guy wants to take home fer lumber [cedar]

Anyone need'in fire wood please report to place in Milton wit your chain saws
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone,

Cool 37 and heavy dew everywhere this morning. Just took the trash to the curb and air definitely has some nip to it.

Clint, I'm more like you with the mileage thing. Normally i don't even go 2500 miles between changes. This car gets mostly highway miles and I u der stand how hard it is on short commutes. Checked the level the other day and it was still full and strange enough it still looked honey gold with no evidence of dirt. The 72 is like that too, but none of the other cars do that. Considering oil is the engines life blood it's a much cheaper alternative than a repair.

Jim, good luck wit de chainsaw brigade. Glad no one was hurt.

Mike, sounds like you're happy to see the neighbors back. They sound like good people. Maybe they'll let you start using their yard for car storage.

Scot, how's the RWYB trophy going? You hear anything back from the men in brown?

Sheesh I sure miss it being daylight around this time. DST has its drawbacks on each end I guess. Everyone got your Halloween treats bought yet? How many of you decorate for that?

I think I'll head out and have koffee wit de boys today. Got my daily primer beside me to get kick started though. Enjoy your day!
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:08 AM

De city says, "It their tree if it falls in de road/right of way" Good news, I ain't gotta clean it up, bad news, I don't get one stick of firewood
Old October 16th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, all...

'Twas down to 48* this morning; very nice down here in the Swamp.
Weed pulling and fall landscaping today. Gee, Jamesbo, that's a good core o' wood! Glad nobody was hurt; could have been fatal.

Still hackin' like I smoke a pack of Benjamin Hedges menthol every day. Maybe some Chantix would help? Thank goodness I don't cough at night; as soon as I lie down, it calms down. Whatever.

Dan, I was sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I can't honestly say I've lost a close friend as an adult.

Anyhoots, the weeds beckon! Y'all have a great Thor's day, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; October 16th, 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Was overcast this morning but now the sun is trying to come out. Got home early and got into bed by 7. Need to get going, though, probably gonna get started on the tree cleanup.

Yes the neighbors next door are special people. They really take good care of me and are a pleasure to be with.

Jamesbo what is the city going to do with the firewood? Why can't you have any of it?

Okay sitting here isn't getting anything done. Have a good afternoon all.
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:29 AM

Mike, I'm not sure but they had a crew clean the mess before lunch. Had every kinda equiptment in the world. It was one of my bigger ones
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That is a huge mess, and a huge tree. Mike, I'm thinking the City peeps aren't chopping it for firewood, they put it through a shredder to use for landscape mulch nowadays.

John, so long as the hacking isn't caused by smokes you're ok still. I hope! Had some of that hacking Tiu's day when I was breathing all the dusty contaminated air at the landfill. I know what you mean about it not wanting to go away.
Old October 17th, 2014, 02:58 AM

Worm

I think I'll have sum coffee and wait fer anutter tree to fall
Old October 17th, 2014, 03:55 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Werm crumbs.

Jamesbo, watsamatter with your trees down there? They are still green. Thats why they fell over. Someone didn't tell it to drop its leaves.

Have a Great Friday all.
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin....another day at the office....now, where is that Java pot?

A friend of mine dropped off a bear steak last night....anybody know how to cook bear meat?.....Jamesbo?, Clint?
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Cold. In the 40s. I may have to call the gas company early this year.

Today is Met day. Wish me luck. It's going to take me all day to retrieve these guys. Conyers isn't far but when you have to make three trips it will take awhile.

Time for Awful house. Have a good Friday all.
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:42 AM

Sammy, I have had bear chops dat were yummy. I'd pound de sucker with a meat tendering hammer and marinate it for a day. Them I'd either 1] simmmer it or 2] dredge it in flour and fry de sucker

BTW, I support de right to arm bears
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning all.

Wonder if dat tree made any noise when it fell. The morning news channel is celebrating 60 years and is broadcasting in black n white. They're also wearing retro clothes and look pretty goofy. De boy got all dressed up in a suit today for college. Apparently they're having an open house and he wants to impress any visitors. Heck, I was impressed. Had to show him a double Windsor knot though.

Clint, enjoy the crumbs. Worm isn't really all that tasty isit? Sorry to hear the buzz worms are still active in your area. How's the horse doing?

Mike, good luck. You need to borrow Teds car hauler, or 'float' as he calls it.

Ted, I expect cooking bear needs an open fire pit. Never tried it, but apparently when done right is quite good.

Bear Steak Atchafalaya

2 bear steaks, about 1 pound each
1/4 cup chili sauce
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon sage
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion
The large Onion sliced, separated into rings Blend chili sauce, ginger and sage. Spread on both sides of steaks. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours. Get oil hot in a large skillet, and add steaks. Brown each side about five minutes. Remove steak. Reduce heat and add onion. Sauté until onion is golden. Return steaks to the pan, cover, and cook over low heat until bear is tender and well done. Serves 2.

John, I expect y'all got a recipe for gator?

Well, my koffee pot says time fer a sip. Enjoy your day.
Old October 17th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Here's Anutter one. BTW all bear meat should be thoroughly cooked to kill any parasites....

SAVORY BEAR
1 pt. tarragon vinegar
2 peppercorns
3 bay leaves
1 stick cinnamon
2 onions, quartered
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1 c. minced celery
2 lb. bear meat, cut in cubes
1 c. minced shallots
Salt and pepper to taste
Flour
1 pt. water
1 stick butter
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 lg. can sliced mushrooms
Combine the vinegar, peppercorns, bay leaves, cinnamon, onions, thyme, basil, rosemary, and celery and pour over the bear meat in a bowl. Marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours. Drain bear meat; strain and reserve the marinade.
Cook bear meat in a Dutch oven in small amount of fat until browned. Sprinkle with shallots, salt, pepper, and small amount of flour and add water, reserved marinade, butter, Worcestershire sauce, and mushrooms. Simmer for 2 hours or until the bear meat is tender, adding water as needed. Yield 4 servings.
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:01 AM

How 'bout sum Hanibal Lecter Halloween finger food
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Looks good enough to eat. Amazing what you can do with a hot dog isn't it?
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Always room for one more

Okay got home with the first Met. The trailer pulls nice, although it could have something to do with the car only weighs 1800lbs. Now to get a non-running, four flat tire car off the trailer and backed into its space. And only two more to go.
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, it's gonna take you all day and all night to get all 3.
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Captain Starfire

Afternoon, all...

'Twas just a tad warmer today, though a full-fledge case of the muggies is still at bay...

Jamesbo, dem dare look too good for Hannibal... me wants one. Allan, with a name like Bear Atchafalaya, that's gotta be somebody down my way cookin' on da' bear. But no, me no have no gator recipe. I've eaten it a few times (you only eat the tail meat); and it's good. My Mom used to fry it up.

Wish they'd start postin' recipes for the wild boar rippin' up the yard.

Mike, did you try to put air in them? I assume the tires are essentially shredded wheat and won't hold air at all. You could pump a can of fix-a-flat in each wheel... that stuff is amazing, although you'd have to get it off the insides of the wheels as soon as you could.

Whelpt, let me go continue my coughing in a different room of the house. Just finished the fun task of cleaning out the gutters from the garage. (Willow tree droppin's overflowing, fully composted at the bottom, with their own fully functioning ecosystems.)

Have a great one, Oldsmofriends.

BTW, just for kicks & grins, here's my C/L listing for the Camry. I don't think I could resist...

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/cto/4712487098.html
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jumpin Jeohosaphat John! That listing is as complete as I've ever seen and the car does look amazing. Hope you get someone serious calling soon. Did you get billed for the new engine or was it warranty?

Jes a thot! with all the dead leaves an rot in the eaves, mebbe that could be contributing to your coughing?

Temp here is a balmy 50, but winds gusting to 20mph or more at times. Hope it doesn't blow any trees down (hack hack, splutter...) or I'll hafta borree Jims chainsaw.
Old October 17th, 2014, 03:54 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Made it through driving school in Hot "Lanta w/out skipping a beat. Look out middle Gawja, I may be delivering Santa Clause this year after all
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Congrats Scot!
Are you kidding me??? I know dang well why you went there. Somethin about Hot Lana ????
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:36 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Yup she were there Or was that the another place I frequented whilst in 'Lanta
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Always room for one more

What does that UPS box say, 20V creme? I'm guessing with a delivery driver like that you don't need much external charging.

Got Met #2 home. And you're right, Allan, it would have taken me all night so that's why I'm going to get #3 tomorrow afternoon. It would have been dark before I got back, and really dark before I got home. It was their idea. I tell you what I'm beat. Plus, my friend at work was nice enough to share his respiratory infection with me and it's just now started to take serious hold.

John don't forget you put the ad up there and then come across it later and say, wow that sounds like a nice car, I think I'll call.

Scot what was the driving test in Atlanta? Make it back not dead and you pass? The English double decker test is to get the thing going in a wet parking lot and then put it in a slide. If you don't tip over you pass. That might work with the Buster Browns.

Need to get something to eat. I'm not staying up late tonight, oh rats, Starsky and Hutch and also Charlies Angels is on. Well, I might forego TJ Hooker just for tonight. Have a good evening everyone.
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:08 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Mike ironically I had to pass a driving test prior to attending driving school. LOL I seems logical as some folks cannot drive a stick shift and don't make it out of the lot So.... we passed both and supposedly have our foot in the door.... Crossed fingers, hard work ahead will tell more of the story. Further updates at 11
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
What does that UPS box say, 20V creme?
Uh, there,was a box there with stuff printed on it? I went back and looked but STILL can't see it....
Old October 17th, 2014, 05:45 PM
CQR

Guard that truck with your life. The stories I heard from my daughter. Sheesh. Losing your job because of an accident that wasn't even the UPS drivers fault.
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:14 PM

Hmm. Hanibal Lecter fingers no, UPS, gal, yes! and John, you embarrass the car mags with the info contained in your ad.
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening all!

We had wind and clouds today, a little sun peeked out here and there. Temps around 68* by this afternoon. Having some rain tonight, and tomorrow is only supposed to be in the 40's.

Scot..... Great news! Hope all works out for you!!!

I didn't do much today. Patched the holes in Nicole's room and dug out the paint cans. Also dug out the paint for the living room so I can fix where Larry drilled through the wall wiring up these stupid cameras. Patched the wall, but haven't painted it yet. Hope I can make it look decent. I sponged 2 other colors on the walls over the base coat way back when I first painted. Sponge painting hides alot, but this is a big patch. Don't know how it's going to look.

Called Cigna today about an explanation of benefits I got yesterday showing that Dr. D'Johann, the plastic surgeon, billed them for $6,554.00 for 'surgery' on 9/3 and they didn't pay anything because he did not get pre certification! I told them that I got several letters from them saying the masectomies and DIEP flap reconstruction were approved by them, so why weren't they paying him anything? The guy looked it up and said that the surgery the Dr. billed for wasn't the surgery that they approved! So I don't know if he billed for this lymph node transplant or what. I would have stuck that in the price of the reconstruction if it were me. But the guy wouldn't elaborate. He did say that I can not be held responsible for any of it. It's up to the doctor to re submit the bill and file a claim if necessary. I don't have to do anything. So I just filed the letter in with the rest of the Cigna stuff. I'm sure glad they can't bill me for it!! That's a lot of money.

Tried to call the payroll lady in Houston but she wasn't in today. I filled the bird feeders. Damned squirrels were up on the deck most of the day eating the sunflower seeds in the feeder. A hawk swooped in once and landed on the deck rail. I was hoping he'd go after the squirrel, but he started watching my little birds so I scared him off. The squirrel left too, lol. I got the pellet gun out and shot at the things this afternoon. There are soooo many of them this year! I wouldn't care if they stayed way out back in the yard but I don't like them coming up to the house.

Larry and I went shopping tonight. I didn't buy much at all. Don't need a ton of things since Nicole isn't here to help eat them. Saves me money, I guess. Her and Jon are heading to TWD Walker Stalker convention in Hotlanta tomorrow morning. Wish I could go! They bought the packages to get all the autographs from the actors and the pictures. Must be nice to have money. I looked those prices up months ago..... pretty steep! She also got the package to meet Damon and Stefan from the Vampire Diaries. I'm sooo jealous!! I told her to buy Clorox wipes and wash everything before she touches it in the hotel. I worry about this Ebola crap. People are going nuts around here since that one nurse was in Tallmadge, which isn't that far away. They keep saying she was here and she was there, and everyone is freaked out. They've closed some of the schools too. Everytime you turn around you hear where she visited somewhere else, or other people were around her. I don't know. I'm tired of it though.

Tina came by yesterday morning and mixed me up some natural oils for my scars and for the swelling. So I started using them. Some of the scars are still fresh looking so I don't know if I should put the oils on them or not. Probably won't hurt anything. Lavender oil is what I used on my feet and it helped those sores.

I guess Larry invited Jr. and Elyse over on Sunday. Yipee..... Larry's daughter has the same birthday as me on the 25th. He got her a card tonight. He wanted to buy me this $600 camera that I don't want, and I told him don't buy it. Several times I told him. So I hope I don't get it! He always buys me things I don't want. I'd rather have a hug. I can't think of anything I really want. I told him to just get me scratch off tickets, lol.

Speaking of which, they have the Christmas scratch offs out at Giant Eagle already, I saw them tonight. Like a little early isn't it? Of course Wal Mart and the Home Depot are full of Christmas decorations already. It's depressing. I started buying gift cards for Christmas. That's about all anyone will get from me this year. I'm not going to go crazy. Won't really have the money to anyhow.

Linda has that heart ablation on Tuesday over at Akron City Hospital. I sure hope it helps her a-fib. One guy at Bellacino's had it and he said he feels sooo much better! They wanted to do that to me when they first said I had a-fib and I said no, I'm not in a hurry to have my heart burned just yet, lol. That will probably come later. I'll probably go over there Tuesday while she has it.

Well I guess I'll get off here and get to bed. Have a good night all.
Old October 18th, 2014, 04:49 AM

Road trip to SE Mi, w/my brother 'n sis to see an Aunt and a couple of cousins.
Old October 18th, 2014, 05:36 AM

I'm ordering stuff I don't need or want jes to get de UPS lady to deliver
Old October 18th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone.

Nice n quiet here. Need to take de boy to the dentist for teeth cleaning in half hour or so. Then Anutter date wit de paint brush.

Jim, better watch out. De super model might cut up yer limbs if dat UPS lady delivers.

Dan, sounds like a good family get together.

Mike, day 2 of Met hauling under way yet?

Koffee is done. Enjoy your day.
Old October 18th, 2014, 07:46 AM

I musta missed sum'in ????

Why is Mike gett'in 3 of dem

BTW Sandy, Here's a hug