The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2024 | 08:03 AM

Kenneth - Finally got around to comparing my axle measurements to the one's you took. All dimensions the same. Thanks again!
Old August 15th, 2024 | 08:33 AM

Arghh! The soonest that I could schedule an appt. with the S.O.S. is Monday, and that's in Grand Haven (15 miles south), otherwise it would be another week. I remember the good ol' days when you took a number and sat for an hour or so with a couple dozen others, waiting for your number to be called. At least you could get it done sooner. I did stop down and get a set of T/A's ordered from my favorite tire shop. I will schedule an appt. to get them installed when the car is licensed. The guy that owned the car was a big Michigan State fan, and had the inner trunk lid signed by Tom Izzo. I told him that I wouldn't erase it. Maybe a magnetic U of M logo to put over it.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 10:57 AM
Always room for one more

Okay 6 gallons later and they said they need two more. Now, they are trying to cover a fairly large expanse of maroon and dark blue. Don't ask. I think one of them liked the color and will soon have a yellow house as well.

We are about 40 away from being done. Less than an hour, we might make it.

I'm not the brightest. I'm picking up the car today and someone else was at fault in the accident and it's still costing me 10 bucks. I thought, choose your battles. Now I'm 400 bucks into 8 gallons of paint for a room about 700 square feet. Maybe if I would have made the paint part of what I'm paying him they would be a little more stingy putting it on. Well, if it won't cover it won't cover.

Dan has Goodrich fixed the brown letter problem?

Half more hour. Ug this day has drug on.

Old August 15th, 2024 | 11:07 AM

Dan has Goodrich fixed the brown letter problem?
Mike, what I've been reading on some of the Olds FB forums, is yes. They have also been replacing some of the tires with the browning letters.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 12:46 PM

I have heard the cutoff is five years old. Mine on my Chevy are too old. I don't care, I can clean them up for a show.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

Metzeler makes great motorcycle tires - they're very "sticky". I like sticky because I do a lot of back road/side road piggyback horseshoe asphalt riding - as opposed to straight highway/interstate riding. You don't get quite the distance you might expect from other tire manufacturers but the tires are exceptional. I recall one year Metzeler unleashed an enormous slurry of brand new tires across the globe w/ very premature yellowing/browning. They provided a free recall on all those tires after they determined the dates & lot numbers of the affected tires. I wasn't affected but they did honor the complaints - had to be expensive.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 03:36 PM
Running On Empty

They gave me eight (8) oxycodone. I just had a tooth extracted (it was cracked vertically). Normal routine extraction>osseous (bone) graft>implant. All is well. Often times these oxycodone don't really do anything for me other than make me feel like toast (higher than a kite). I think that's why old men sit around in Opium dens all day and do nothing - pulling from the hooka until they can't walk. I did get a big fistful of these things when I had a double inguinal hernia surgical repair ~12 years ago. I guess they relieved the pain. More importantly (I guess) they made me forget about the pain. I just took one. I am not responsible for any statements or posts I make the remainder of this evening.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
The guy that owned the car was a big Michigan State fan, and had the inner trunk lid signed by Tom Izzo. I told him that I wouldn't erase it. Maybe a magnetic U of M logo to put over it.
Dan - Glad to see you've got your priorities right! This should be an interesting season for U of M, have you seen their schedule yet? Absolutely brutal! Check it out when ya have time.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

I took one pill (as stated). I expect to reach nirvana sometime soon....

Old August 15th, 2024 | 04:19 PM

I took those after wisdom tooth extraction. I don't recall feeling "high" at all; just the jaw pain was reduced to a barely noticeable level.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 04:26 PM
Running On Empty

I'm beginning to feel a "buzz". Not sure I'd call it a "high" so to speak, but I'm beginning to feel like a "buzz". I can only take one every 6 hours I think. I've begun this pain management routine I'll call it prior to the Lidocaine wearing off and hopefully prior to the onset of pain....I sense I'm sorta "fruit loops".
Old August 15th, 2024 | 04:28 PM
Running On Empty

Beginning to feel if I were on a playground "teeter totter" I'd likely fall off.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Beginning to feel if I were on a playground "teeter totter" I'd likely fall off.
When it's time for the next one, take it with a shot or two of JD, you'll sleep like a log!
Old August 15th, 2024 | 05:03 PM

Norm's going to start pontificating about what is outside the universe, or what is before time, or why women can't be logical, or other great mysteries.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Okay 6 gallons later and they said they need two more. Now, they are trying to cover a fairly large expanse of maroon and dark blue. Don't ask. I think one of them liked the color and will soon have a yellow house as well.
. . .
Now I'm 400 bucks into 8 gallons of paint for a room about 700 square feet. Maybe if I would have made the paint part of what I'm paying him they would be a little more stingy putting it on. Well, if it won't cover it won't cover.
Man, that's alot of paint and $'s for 700 sqft! Hope Mom is ecstatic when they're done!
Old August 15th, 2024 | 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Metzeler makes great motorcycle tires - they're very "sticky".
I don't disagree, but like you mentioned, because of the softer compound, the wear on the Metzelers is not the greatest. I had them on the Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 I had. I've got the Michelin Commander 2's series on both the Yamaha and Indian now, and I like them better than the Metzelers. They still seem plenty "sticky", and the wear seems to be alot better.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 05:28 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Norm's going to start pontificating about what is outside the universe, or what is before time, or why women can't be logical, or other great mysteries.
John - Damn, you're right about that. I think it's best I sign-off before I begin some long-winded diatribe about the edges of the universe. I'm gone.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 05:40 PM

Speaking of tires, it's time for a new set - again. Seems all of the high performance summer tires I tried on the European car last around 15,000 miles at best. The current Michelin Pilot Sport 4S have a 30,000 mile treadwear warranty and are down to the wear bars at around 14,000 miles. Maybe it's time to try a harder tread compound. I like the hi-po tires and may not be able to tolerate something that doesn't grip as well.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Speaking of tires, it's time for a new set - again. Seems all of the high performance summer tires I tried on the European car last around 15,000 miles at best. The current Michelin Pilot Sport 4S have a 30,000 mile treadwear warranty and are down to the wear bars at around 14,000 miles. Maybe it's time to try a harder tread compound. I like the hi-po tires and may not be able to tolerate something that doesn't grip as well.
Kenneth - If the Michelins you currently have on there have a 30K-mile warranty, I would think you should be able to get a new set for about 1/2 price right? That might be worth it if that's the case?
Old August 15th, 2024 | 06:50 PM

My old man was about booted out of the skilled nursing at the nursing home but appealed. He is not walking well now, but believes he can live at home in a place which has a lot of steps, with just a week more of rehab. My brother is debating refusing to give him a ride home. My dad says he is listening to other peoples' opinions, but it is clear, when everyone says go to assisted living, that he isn't. Usually what happens here is someone goes home, falls, breaks something, goes into rehab, goes home, falls, breaks something, and eventually can't leave rehab so they sit in a wheelchair for 8 months more and they die. My dad is about to commence pathetic begging everyone on his phone list to rescue him, so this is going to suck.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 07:13 PM

John, that sounds like the cycle my Mom is in at the moment.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 07:33 PM
Running On Empty

On my phone. Watching ‘Trigger Warning’

John/Kenneth - I feel for you both. Those are painful and difficult decisions/discussions.
Old August 15th, 2024 | 08:02 PM

John/Kenneth - I feel for you both, I know it's really tough. We're here for ya anytime ya need us.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 03:24 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

The painting is done! Seven and a half gallons later. It's probably my eyes playing tricks on me but I can see shadows. You know what, I'm not even gonna worry about it. Mom thinks it looks terrific so that's all that matters. This is the first time since I've owned that house that the living room has been only one color. Next is the floor but that's going to wait awhile.

Chris the Big Boy #4014 will be in St. Louis on September 11. There is no public display because that particular stop is for the employees, but the next morning at 830 it departs. If you are a railroad buff at all that would be something to see. I've been up close and personal with 4005, but that one is just a static display.

John good luck with your dad. I was wondering how he's getting along. My only prayer is that my Mom doesn't get to that point. She's pretty mean, it could go either way.

Overtime people did pretty well this morning. My good new wall guy has been moved and now I have a brand new wall guy and a lazy trainer. I don't care.

Hope everyone has a good Friday.

Old August 16th, 2024 | 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Chris the Big Boy #4014 will be in St. Louis on September 11. There is no public display because that particular stop is for the employees, but the next morning at 830 it departs. If you are a railroad buff at all that would be something to see. I've been up close and personal with 4005, but that one is just a static display.
Mike - I really enjoyed various scale toy trains as a boy, but I was never big into the history or knowing the famous types. I had to look up the history of Big Boy #4014. Wow, what a monstrous and fascinating locomotive! Although it won't be accessible for viewing by the public in St. Louis on the 11th, it will be in DeSoto, MO the next morning between 11am - 11:30. I put the schedule in my calendar. Desoto is only about 20-miles from me and I've been there many times for car events. That's also where that restored Vintage Texaco Station is that I've posted pics of before. I'm gonna try and go if the weather's decent and something of more importance doesn't pop up. Thanks for mentioning it! 😀

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 16th, 2024 at 06:50 AM.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 06:58 AM

Foamers are some weird folks, being railfans that are way over the top with their fandom. I'll sometimes pull up a youtube video of virtualrailfan and it's neat to hear a far off howl of a train approaching and watch it tear by and leave, but some people give a report of the engines and the cargo as they go by. Weird.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 07:03 AM
Running On Empty

I've viewed No.4017 at the NRM in Green Bay, WI. Impressive.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 09:00 AM

Foamers are some weird folks, being railfans that are way over the top with their fandom.
"Foamers", now that's a term I'd never heard before. Good day, I learned a new word.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 09:59 AM

Norm new salad chick peas tomatoes avocado evoo vinegar

Old August 16th, 2024 | 10:27 AM

Looks yummy James! 👍
Old August 16th, 2024 | 12:37 PM

John, I hope it goes well with your dad, not an easy time at all. I've wanted to see one of the Big Boys, but I don't think that they come near me. I didn't check the schedule this year. Last year they were in the general area that you guys have reported on.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 02:16 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Looks tasty. Sort of MediterraneanESQUE. I like.

I haven't spanked whitey in some time because of oppressive heat + humidity then came all the rain. I've spent several days on the range and played again today. I'm playing very fair - which I'm happy to contend with. Always striving for a more consistent swing I think I may have stumbled upon something manageable.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
"Foamers", now that's a term I'd never heard before. Good day, I learned a new word.
It's considered insulting because it mocks how excited some railfans get when the train actually gets there. Railfan is the preferred word. I think they both have their place.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 02:35 PM

"Worked from home" today. I believe I caught a cold on the packed flight home from Phoenix on Sunday. Began to notice the odd sore throat on Tuesday, felt a little off Wed, and bad yesterday and today. Primarily a congestion event, no sore throat. Appetite, smell, temperature, feeling comfortable warmth wise, and energy level ok, so it is not the rona.

Running NyQuil/DayQuil and Zycam.

Last edited by Koda; August 16th, 2024 at 02:38 PM.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 04:18 PM

The morning weather report had these depressing graphics. And summer still has 2+ months to go.

Old August 16th, 2024 | 04:38 PM
Running On Empty

Appetite, smell, temperature, feeling comfortable warmth wise, and energy level ok, so it is not the rona. Running NyQuil/DayQuil and Zycam.
You suspect it's not THAT rona. Since nearly everyone "thinks" there's only one corona virus everyone compares symptoms to COVID-19 (Sars-CoV-2) when in fact there are a number of other zoonotic coronaviruses which routinely infect humans & display very mild symptoms i.e. H-CoVs (Human-Corona-Virus). In fact those symptoms are often far less remarkable than the common Rhinovirus(s). Both H-CoV (coronavirus) & Rhinovirus account for >65% of all common colds including RSV and parainfluenza.

I'm amazed how many place little faith in modern science & would rather become a statistic of SARS-CoV-2 rather than get a vaccination because of some ill-advised nonsensical beliefs. Maybe this might put things in perspective. If a human being gets rabies and does not seek medical attention (i.e. get the rabies...wait for it... VACCINE) they will die w/ 100% mortality. There is absolutely no question rabies is 100% FATAL without receiving the rabies vaccine. Those disbelievers might think twice of the benefits of modern vaccines and the development of vaccines. They save lives.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 04:46 PM

Kenneth and John the parents struggle has me wishing and praying for the best with what you and your families have to work with. The system seems a bit broken with all the variables to contend with.

Kenneth the heat stats for your area are demoralizing no doubt. I feel a bit guilty only having a few weeks out of the year to contend with some muggy upper 90's stuff.

• Tonight

Low: 64 °F

Chance
    T-storms then
    Patchy Fog
  • Saturday

High: 77 °F

Patchy Fog
    then Slight
    Chance
    T-storms
  • Saturday Night

Low: 61 °F

Slight Chance
    T-storms then
    Patchy Fog
  • Sunday

High: 81 °F

Patchy Fog
    then Sunny
  • Sunday Night

Low: 54 °F

Clear
  • Monday

High: 79 °F

Sunny
  • Monday Night

Low: 55 °F

Mostly Clear
  • Tuesday

High: 79 °F

Sunny
  • Tuesday Night

Low: 56 °F

Partly Cloudy

The 7day here in Central Wisco
Old August 16th, 2024 | 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
The morning weather report had these depressing graphics. And summer still has 2+ months to go.
Kenneth - That is depressing.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 04:51 PM
Running On Empty

Running NyQuil/DayQuil and Zycam.
These should all be diluted to a 1:1 ratio w/ EtOH.
Old August 16th, 2024 | 04:56 PM
Running On Empty

In case you haven't been following along, or don't recall, a woman found my iPhone in a parking lot & notified our local AT&T store (this was after I received a new iPhone). Today, she dropped off my old iPhone at the AT&T store - now sitting on my counter being charged from a 0% state of charge. Hopefully, I can find the correct protocol (there are several methods) to transfer data from my old iPhone to my new iPhone - the most significant being all my contacts w/ e-mails, phone numbers, etc. That alone would be an enormous time-saver.