The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2024 | 12:48 PM

Bye-bye baby, she just went off to the hospital. Slight change of plans. He's also going to do a rear brake job/rebuild while he's in there. Rear brakes are shot, no wonder my parking brake had essentially no holding power. Hopefully drums can just be turned. He said it might be done as early as the middle of this coming week if he can get his hands on all the parts. He had me drive it up on the trailer. That was nerve wracking as hell!

Old August 18th, 2024 | 12:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
He's also going to do a rear brake job/rebuild while he's in there. Rear brakes are shot...
That's the best/easiest time to do it.
Old August 18th, 2024 | 01:06 PM
Running On Empty

Clever...

Old August 18th, 2024 | 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
That's the best/easiest time to do it.
Yep!
Old August 18th, 2024 | 01:22 PM

Clever...

Yep, he's an Old's man, thru and thru. Very nice trailer he has. I was worried about the lowest part of the headers dragging going over the hump, but they didn't. He said he'd had the trailer 16-years and a new one today would set you back $21K, without the winch. AiYiYi!
Old August 18th, 2024 | 01:25 PM
Running On Empty

Vehicle transport trailers aren't cheap. His is a nice one - I like the low-riders.
Old August 18th, 2024 | 02:07 PM

Vehicle transport trailers aren't cheap. His is a nice one - I like the low-riders.
Super nice trailer, it's not surprising though knowing how many people's cars he worked on. He just sent me a text and a picture letting me know the transport went fine and it was safely in his shop! Old's memorabilia and signs galore, the car's gonna think it went to heaven!

Old August 18th, 2024 | 02:17 PM

Chris's update is so electrifying we are now in the electrical section.
Old August 18th, 2024 | 02:29 PM

Love the Olds neon in the shop.
Old August 18th, 2024 | 02:30 PM
Running On Empty

… the car's gonna think it went to heaven!
General anesthesia.
Old August 18th, 2024 | 02:47 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful day here, with a 5 minute shower and a little thunder right in the middle of the afternoon. Walmart went okay and I've been hanging pictures.

Chris you're in good hands. What happened to the custom license plate you had on there before? Brake job on top of all the other work is like icing on the cake.

There's a sign in the garage we can hardly see that has a bowtie and what looks like the word "OLDS" underneath it. Multiple line dealership maybe?

Start of a new week tomorrow. I need to get a few things caught up at my house this week. After being sick two days and then the painters, I need to be at home a little while.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old August 18th, 2024 | 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Chris's update is so electrifying we are now in the electrical section.
Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Love the Olds neon in the shop.
Ya, it's pretty cool. I knew he would have a cool shop. He had already told me it was completely climate controlled, heat and A/C.
Old August 18th, 2024 | 03:53 PM
9 thats what I mean 11

I like how his trailer says OLDSMOBILE on it
Old August 18th, 2024 | 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris you're in good hands. What happened to the custom license plate you had on there before? Brake job on top of all the other work is like icing on the cake.

There's a sign in the garage we can hardly see that has a bowtie and what looks like the word "OLDS" underneath it. Multiple line dealership maybe?
Mike - I truly believe I'm in the best hands I could be in in this part of the country!

By custom license plate I'm sure you're remembering this one.

That custom plate has at maximum a 2-yr renewal period, and you have to get and pay for a State Safety Inspection, plus the renewal fee every 2-yrs. When that plate expired in 2021, I switched to a State Historic Plate. It has a one time only State Safety Inspection, and it is good for as long as you own the car, you never have a renewal period or renewal fee. As cool as I think the custom plate is, you can't beat the Historic Plates for convenience and value!

And yes, I'm really glad he was willing to take on the rear brake job in addition to the other work, much more convenient for me! He's a really, really good guy! 👍
Old August 18th, 2024 | 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1965CutlassGuy
I like how his trailer says OLDSMOBILE on it
Ya, me too! The guy doing the work for me is a member of the Archway Oldsmobile Club (Greater St. Louis area) with me. He is universally recognized as the premier Oldsmobile mechanic and restoration expert in our area. Really, really good guy!
Old August 18th, 2024 | 05:44 PM

It may be a reach for a question...Chris will you find merit to inspect the front brakes, and wheel bearing condition if for the least a base line and future game plan when warranted.
It's on the rack...maybe not in the cards just an opinion.

Old August 18th, 2024 | 05:49 PM
Running On Empty

Clever...

Yep, he's an Old's man, thru and thru. Very nice trailer he has. I was worried about the lowest part of the headers dragging going over the hump, but they didn't. He said he'd had the trailer 16-years and a new one today would set you back $21K, without the winch. AiYiYi!
Ya, me too! The guy doing the work for me is a member of the Archway Oldsmobile Club (Greater St. Louis area) with me. He is universally recognized as the premier Oldsmobile mechanic and restoration expert in our area. Really, really good guy!
I'm not sure y'all even recognized the moniker I was referring to. It isn't the term OLDSMOBILE which portrays ANY uniqueness. It's the manner in which he painted it on a (mobile) TRAILER i.. OLDSMOBILE
Old August 18th, 2024 | 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
It may be a reach for a question...Chris will you find merit to inspect the front brakes, and wheel bearing condition if for the least a base line and future game plan when warranted.
It's on the rack...maybe not in the cards just an opinion.
Keith - Certainly a legit question and certainly has merit. The whole car could certainly use a good look see by someone much more mechanically adept than me. However, I just sprung the rear brake job on him today out of the blue, and I felt lucky he was willing to take it on in addition to the rear wheel bearings and rear end work. I know how busy he is and I really don't want to impose anymore than I already have. I do know that if he happens to see anything that might cause me trouble in the near term that he'll tell me, and then go ahead an fix it while he has it. That's just the kind of guy he is.
Old August 18th, 2024 | 06:04 PM

I'm not sure y'all even recognized the moniker I was referring to. It isn't the term OLDSMOBILE which portrays ANY uniqueness. It's the manner in which he painted it on a (mobile) TRAILER i.. OLDSMOBILE
Honestly Norm, I didn't get what you were pointing out, OLDS---MOBILE.
Old August 18th, 2024 | 06:10 PM
Running On Empty

Honestly Norm, I didn't get what you were pointing out, OLDS---MOBILE.

There ya go! Why I said it was "clever" OLDS...MOBILE (as per a MOBILE OLDS)
Old August 18th, 2024 | 07:12 PM

Chris I get it for sure, not wanting to impose. Why I mentioned base line inspection for a later planned maintenance vs an unplanned repair. Dont know if you dont ask. Its on the rack
Old August 19th, 2024 | 04:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Came in two early and signed 9 wheels. Not bad, I don't think the other guys who came in signed any. I've got the same wall guy for the third week in a row. He's okay, doesn't have a lot of personality.

So I was totally oblivious to the thread being moved to the electrical forum. I thought John was just being wise since Chris was so excited about his car. Now I see that we are a sticky. That's exciting.

My friend Larry has a totally ragged out Amphicar he wants to trade me. He wanted what I thought was a ridiculous amount of money for it in Ohio last month, and he had no takers. I don't have anything I'd trade that is worth what he wants for it. I'd like to have another Amphi and this is probably the only way I can get one.

Taking Mom to the doctor this afternoon. That will be all I do. Tomorrow I need to go register my trailer. And do laundry. And, and, and...

Okay Monday has started. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old August 19th, 2024 | 06:10 AM

Good morning everyone.

Came in two early and signed 9 wheels. Not bad, I don't think the other guys who came in signed any. I've got the same wall guy for the third week in a row. He's okay, doesn't have a lot of personality.
Mike - Sounds like you got off to a pretty decent start, hope you get out early.
Good luck with any decisions about a possible trade for your friend's Amphicar? Is it in good enough shape where it's something you could fix up yourself and enjoy!
Old August 19th, 2024 | 07:30 AM
Always room for one more

Heh Chris no chance on getting out early. The lead expects us to come in early but he's not one to cut us a break. Now, he can leave early, but we can't. *****.

This Amph is a basket case. Looks like it's been dredged up out of the ocean after a hundred years. The expense in restoring an Amphicar is mostly all the metal work they require. And this one is no different. I don't weld, so I will have to pay someone to do all that welding. Really I'm on the fence about it, I want another car but I don't want a project of this magnitude. But I can't afford the next step up from this. I'm in overthinking overload.

Things have slowed down a little, but I'm already over 20. We're supposed to do 10 extra every day this week, but today we're getting a lot of labor-intensive contract wheels and a lot of big wheels. The contract wheels have some safety wiring on them and the bigger wheels take a half hour to fill.

The guy I just called ***** is standing probably 5 feet behind me. Not looking over my shoulder, just standing there. Funny.

Old August 19th, 2024 | 08:26 AM

Really I'm on the fence about it, I want another car but I don't want a project of this magnitude. But I can't afford the next step up from this. I'm in overthinking overload.
Mike - Shame about the work situation, it sucks!

Here's my 2-cents on the Amphi. While I think the Amphi's are really cool and unique, it sounds like alot of time, work, and expense for something that you would rarely get out and enjoy. You have some other really cool cars, the Chrysler and the 4-door Chevy immediately come to my mind. I would put my money and energy into those to get them to where I felt comfortable taking them out to shows, cruise-ins, or just for a drive whenever I wanted so I could enjoy them. Like I said, just my 2-cents, you do you, and as long as you're happy that's all that really matters in the long run!
Old August 19th, 2024 | 08:50 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris. I rarely do what the smart thing is. If I felt I was getting a decent deal I'd probably go for it. The trouble is, when he first got this car he let slip what he wanted for it. Later, he was at my house and saw my Toad and said, I'll make you a deal, your car plus cash. The amount of cash he wanted was what he wanted for the car in the beginning. I passed. Now he sees that no one is jumping for joy over this car, and he's softening up a little. It would be a good car to teach myself how to weld. Lots of it to be done.

Old August 19th, 2024 | 10:00 AM

Now he sees that no one is jumping for joy over this car, and he's softening up a little. It would be a good car to teach myself how to weld. Lots of it to be done.
Mike - There’s always more to every story, and now that you've given me more info I see the angle you're approaching this from. Like I said, you do you, the only person who needs to be satisfied is you.
Old August 19th, 2024 | 01:07 PM
Running On Empty

Sloppy Joe's for dinner.
Old August 19th, 2024 | 01:11 PM
Running On Empty

Spent one hour on the driving range. Spanking it nicely.
Old August 19th, 2024 | 01:17 PM

Sloppy Joe's for dinner.
That sounds very good, I haven't had them in quite awhile. Glad you're smacking whitey senseless!
Old August 19th, 2024 | 01:20 PM
Running On Empty

That sounds very good, I haven't had them in quite awhile. Glad you're smacking whitey senseless!
Thanks. This includes the 3-wood - most difficult club in the bag for me. Tomorrow it may all go South. That's this game.
Old August 19th, 2024 | 01:48 PM

Thanks. This includes the 3-wood - most difficult club in the bag for me. Tomorrow it may all go South. That's this game.
I never had a terrible problem with a 3 Wood off the tee, but off the fairway it was horrible, I mean ugly. I was always a much better irons player than woods, although I was fine off the tee with my Driver. Since I was a better irons player, I had the buddy who built my Driver for me make me a 1 Iron. I honestly could hit that club much better off a tee or the fairway than either my 3 or 5 Woods. I could consistently hit that 1 Iron 205 to 215 with decent accuracy. I put the 3 Wood away!
Old August 19th, 2024 | 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

It would be a good car to teach myself how to weld. Lots of it to be done.
Mike - I suspect you have enough metal already in your yard to teach yourself how to weld; yet, a beat-up Amphi might provide the right incentive for you. I used to weld at one time, no need to maintain a welder if I'm not in need of welding so everything was sold. I enjoy helping others spend their money though, Miller Welders are exceptional machines.
Old August 19th, 2024 | 02:34 PM

Hope everyone has had a great day!

You may or may not have read my post to Norm on Friday that I had hurt my shoulder weight lifting that day. After icing it Friday evening, then heat treatments 4 times a day Saturday and Sunday it was feeling quite a bit better. I tried to give it a go today because M-W-F are my normal lifting days. The pain immediately came back and a noticeable lack of strength in my left shoulder. $hit! Now I'm going to have to take several days off, with continuous home treatments to see if I can get it healed. I will probably give it a full week this time and see how it goes. It is very depressing when you reach a certain level of strength and fitness, and then you have to put it on the back burner. At my age, it will be hard to get back to that level, even if I only have to be down a week. If a week off doesn't work, and I have to go to the doc and PT, it will be a long road back to get to where I was, if I even can? It is all very depressing when you work so hard, and invest so much time in maintaining a certain level of strength and fitness. A kick in the ***** reminding me I ain't 20 anymore!
Old August 19th, 2024 | 02:42 PM
Running On Empty

I never had a terrible problem with a 3 Wood off the tee, but off the fairway it was horrible, I mean ugly. I was always a much better irons player than woods, although I was fine off the tee with my Driver. Since I was a better irons player, I had the buddy who built my Driver for me make me a 1 Iron. I honestly could hit that club much better off a tee or the fairway than either my 3 or 5 Woods. I could consistently hit that 1 Iron 205 to 215 with decent accuracy. I put the 3 Wood away!
I seldom, if ever, use my fair-way 3 wood off the tee. Much has to do w/ course slope/rating &/or hole layout; but I seldom use a fair-way 3 wood off the tee. I don't believe anyone makes a 1-iron (butter knife) any longer, which was most often called a 1-driver and used as an iron driver w/ a tee. If you're hitting a 1-iron (driver) off the tee 205 - 215 that's respectable.
Old August 19th, 2024 | 03:02 PM
Running On Empty

Hope everyone has had a great day!

You may or may not have read my post to Norm on Friday that I had hurt my shoulder weight lifting that day. After icing it Friday evening, then heat treatments 4 times a day Saturday and Sunday it was feeling quite a bit better. I tried to give it a go today because M-W-F are my normal lifting days. The pain immediately came back and a noticeable lack of strength in my left shoulder. $hit! Now I'm going to have to take several days off, with continuous home treatments to see if I can get it healed. I will probably give it a full week this time and see how it goes. It is very depressing when you reach a certain level of strength and fitness, and then you have to put it on the back burner. At my age, it will be hard to get back to that level, even if I only have to be down a week. If a week off doesn't work, and I have to go to the doc and PT, it will be a long road back to get to where I was, if I even can? It is all very depressing when you work so hard, and invest so much time in maintaining a certain level of strength and fitness. A kick in the ***** reminding me I ain't 20 anymore!
I explained my bout w/ shoulder pain several years ago. Very painful, required a steroid injection to reduce swelling & allow me to self manage. Best guess from 1° physician/FNP was Subacromial bursitis either w/ or w/o shoulder impingement. I bought a heating pad sling to lower the discomfort for 1 - 2 weeks (it remained painful but I couldn't handle the pain any longer w/o a steroid injection). I then began a daily routine of stretches. At about 1.5 months I could swing a golf club - moderately. I have no incumbent pain of any degree, full movement etc. but I can feel and hear a "catch" (painless) when exercising that shoulder. Good luck w/ it! I'd say it took me >3 months for full recovery.
Old August 19th, 2024 | 04:37 PM

I explained my bout w/ shoulder pain several years ago. Very painful, required a steroid injection to reduce swelling & allow me to self manage. Best guess from 1° physician/FNP was Subacromial bursitis either w/ or w/o shoulder impingement. I bought a heating pad sling to lower the discomfort for 1 - 2 weeks (it remained painful but I couldn't handle the pain any longer w/o a steroid injection). I then began a daily routine of stretches. At about 1.5 months I could swing a golf club - moderately. I have no incumbent pain of any degree, full movement etc. but I can feel and hear a "catch" (painless) when exercising that shoulder. Good luck w/ it! I'd say it took me >3 months for full recovery.
Yes, I remember that Norm. You may also remember I posted about a shoulder injury I had before that occurred probably 15 to 20-years ago. It was the opposite shoulder (right) and diagnosed as several micro-tears of the medial/lateral deltoid muscle. I required PT, in home stretching, and ultrasound deep tissue heat therapy to get over that. My current injury again feels like a medial/lateral deltoid injury, Just hoping it not as bad as the last time and that I can get past it without the PT and ultrasound treatments.
Old August 19th, 2024 | 06:10 PM

Came home tonight and got out the chainsaw. It fired up, put on the chaps, and took down a couple branches of this apple tree. Then it died. After several restarts, with good timing of the trigger, one can get it WFO and it will stay there, so I made a few more cuts, let off the trigger, and it died. I believe the carb idle circuit is plugged. This saw is older than the fall of the Berlin Wall and has a lot of power for its size, so I will service the carb.

Cut the apple tree down to the main trunk. Most of the branches were dead, but lots of new growth offshoots on the main trunk. I hope it will grow new branches from these shoots. If not, in words of an old Russian proverb "if it dies, it dies."
Old August 19th, 2024 | 06:50 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Came home tonight and got out the chainsaw. It fired up, put on the chaps, and took down a couple branches of this apple tree. Then it died. After several restarts, with good timing of the trigger, one can get it WFO and it will stay there, so I made a few more cuts, let off the trigger, and it died. I believe the carb idle circuit is plugged. This saw is older than the fall of the Berlin Wall and has a lot of power for its size, so I will service the carb.
Suggestion. Purchase a new carburetor. I think they're all of ~$30.00 includes new hoses maybe even the filter(s) [air & fuel]. If you have any questions fine-tuning the carburetor let me know. There is a very modest little point in which you must establish the H & L settings for a 2-cycle chain saw. Depending on your brand/manufacturer you "might" get away with a tiny screwdriver but many require the inexpensive "tool" to make the H & L adjustments. They're easy adjustments, You might even get by w/ ensuring your H & L settings are correct - these two settings are critical for carburetor adjustment(s) on chainsaws. It's easy stuff but if you've never adjusted the H & L screws, you'll fumble & mumble & rip your face off. Ping me if you need help.

EDIT: The "tool" is ~$10.00
Old August 19th, 2024 | 07:02 PM
Running On Empty

The guys name is George. George resides on Long Island. Been talking to George several times over one week. Tonight George committed to purchasing my Indian motorcycle. He's 59 retired last year from New York educational system. We expect to finalize the sale in the next 1 - 2 weeks. George is driving down dragging an enclosed trailer. During a couple side-bar conversations, I told him I enjoy classic autos & recently sold my yellow 1971 CS convertible. He fired back w/ his friend is an Oldsmobile freak & his friend owns a yellow 1971 CS convertible & a Toronado. They've been friends ~30 years. His friend's name is Frank Chiechi. Sure enough, I found Frank on several threads here in CO. I'm not certain Frank is a CO member but he's received numerous accolades by several of the CO members regarding his sales & repair of Oldsmobile clocks & gauges. Small world. Nothing is final until the cash is in my hand, but this appears promising (thus far).