The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2024, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris I'll bet it was extra enjoyable at this show with your car freshly worked on. You should dig a grease pit in the garage so you can get under the car for cleaning when you take it out. Or a four post lift. I don't think your garage is tall enough for that.
. . .
Working early every day this week, because I'll be gone and won't work overtime next Saturday. Going to what used to be the home of Montgomery Elevator.
Mike - I am seriously contemplating putting a lift in my garage at some point, as well as complete A/C and heat. I believe the ceiling is plenty high enough, but the door roller rails and automatic opener combo would need to be modified to take the door higher.

So you're heading to Moline, IL. Did you know that one of the most unique elevators Montomery Elevator ever made was the tram system designed to take tourists to the top of the Gateway Arch here in StL?

Old August 25th, 2024, 04:42 PM

Wish we were close to each other, it would be fun to hit some shows and cruises together!
I agree. My buddy had a couple of lifts put in his garage. he has 10' ceilings, so he was good there. he had his door rails modified by extending the verticle ones so the door would be higher when opened, clearing any car that he had on the top.
Old August 25th, 2024, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I agree. My buddy had a couple of lifts put in his garage. he has 10' ceilings, so he was good there. he had his door rails modified by extending the verticle ones so the door would be higher when opened, clearing any car that he had on the top.
Although I've never measured it, I'm pretty sure my garage ceiling is at least 10ft., and I'd seen the the door rails modified before to take the door higher before going horizontal. We'll see, it's not gonna be anytime real soon with all the home remodeling expenses this year. We'll need at least a year or two to recover, or at least I'd like to.
Old August 25th, 2024, 06:57 PM

My plan for my shop has a lift on the centerline and the two top corners of the lift being 13 feet up and I may need to dodge trusses.
Old August 25th, 2024, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
My plan for my shop has a lift on the centerline and the two top corners of the lift being 13 feet up and I may need to dodge trusses.
John - I'm having a tough time visualizing what you're trying to tell us? By "two top corners", are you talking about a 2-post Lift vs. 4-post?
Old August 26th, 2024, 04:13 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

A tad chilly this morning. I don't like the direction this will take us. Still nice in the afternoons.

Got to work early this morning and no wall guys. One guy came in just before 5 and started working and kept all the cards till 530. I asked him if he was going to hoard them all day. He gave me 12 at 530 and I got them all signed before 6. Now I've got a good wall guy for all week.

Chris I have a two post lift in my garage, and the guy before me who put it in raised the tracks for the door. He's got a cheezy cable system and weight bench weights rigged up for the door to go up and down. One of the cables is fraying and I'm afraid one of these days I'll go out there and find the weights on the floor. When the door is down the fray is right on top of a pulley. I think I've mentioned this before.

Gonna go after work to a place and see if I can take my Suburban over and have them replace the harmonic balancer. This is the same place that lined up the pickup last month. I think it also needs a fusible link, it gets no power whatsoever. But I'm no cone.

Think I'll go get something to drink. Good start to my week. Hope everyone has the same.

Old August 26th, 2024, 05:21 AM

Good morning everyone.
When the door is down the fray is right on top of a pulley. I think I've mentioned this before.

Gonna go after work to a place and see if I can take my Suburban over and have them replace the harmonic balancer. This is the same place that lined up the pickup last month. I think it also needs a fusible link, it gets no power whatsoever. But I'm no cone.
Mike - I do remember you saying you had a 2-post lift in one of your buildings and about the fraying cable. Good luck with the Suburban if they can get it in! Glad you got off to a good start this morning!
Old August 26th, 2024, 05:50 AM

Good morning guys,

Got off to a frantic start this morning. I was still sleeping and woke up hearing the garbage truck on the back street behind us, meaning they had not got to us yet. I had got our huge sanitation company issued garbage can out of the garage yesterday evening and set it in front of my truck, but had forgotten to get the weekly garbage out of our indoor can and take it out to the outdoor can, and then take the huge can on to the street. I made it before the truck got around to us, barely.

Extreme heat (for us) is what's on tap for the rest of the day, and the next 3-days. No real plans for anything big going on in the near term. I haven't even looked ahead yet at my car event spreadsheet to remind me of what's happening on the car scene this coming weekend. Still trying to nurse my bum shoulder with home heat treatments and stretching. It's working some I think, I'm just afraid once I start lifting again the pain is going to come right back. Probably going to give it one more week and see what happens?

Hope everyone has a great day and week!
Old August 26th, 2024, 02:09 PM

I haven't even looked ahead yet at my car event spreadsheet to remind me of what's happening on the car scene this coming weekend.
There is one on Saturday, about 10 minutes from me. A fund raiser for the local dog shelter. Another one on Labor Day "Cars for Cancer" self explanatory. the second one had been around for at least 15 years, and usually draws 600-700 cars. The downside is, two years ago they moved it to the local mall, on asphalt, which was a bit warm last year.
Old August 26th, 2024, 02:14 PM

it's supposed to be back into the 90s this week.
Lucky you. I can't wait until we drop back into the 90s.

One of the cables is fraying and I'm afraid one of these days I'll go out there and find the weights on the floor. When the door is down the fray is right on top of a pulley.
Just last week one of the springs on my garage door broke and I had to manually lift the door while the opener was running in order to get it open. I was wondering about the cables, and the repair guy replacing the springs said the cables were starting to fray, so I said replace them as well. Then the next day I was walking the dogs and saw a house with the garage door askew and halfway open. Apparently a cable broke and caused the door to jam in the rails. Made me glad I decided to replace the cables on mine.
Old August 26th, 2024, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
There is one on Saturday, about 10 minutes from me. A fund raiser for the local dog shelter. Another one on Labor Day "Cars for Cancer" self explanatory. the second one had been around for at least 15 years, and usually draws 600-700 cars. The downside is, two years ago they moved it to the local mall, on asphalt, which was a bit warm last year.
Dan - It's nice to have choices, in case of weather, or various types of formats. I just looked at my event spreadsheet, and I have 2 judged shows and a cruise-in to choose from on Saturday and two judged shows on Sunday, all within 40-miles from me, most within 20-miles. The event I'm most interested in is at a VFW Post about 40-miles away on Sunday, it's a Top 20 Format. I may also go to the cruise-in on Saturday evening for awhile, it's only 8-miles away.
Old August 26th, 2024, 06:43 PM

Chris, what I meant was, on a two pole lift, there are two towers. On better lifts, they have a crossbar at the top. So, imagine a giant tombstone sticking up that is that rectangle, the two poles and the cross bar. Now, put that tombstone on the centerline of the roof, and the top corners of the stone will touch the ceiling, or close to it. It's time for ascii art, let's see if this works.

....................../\.............
...................../...\..........
.................../.___.\......
................./..|....|..\........
................|...|....|...|......
................|...|....|...|.....

Except my roof will be much shallower slope.
Old August 26th, 2024, 06:55 PM

Got home tonight and it was hotter than *****. I took my old template of my existing stereo shelves and used it to make a new template for the longer ones. These are just cardboard rectangles the length and width of the shelf, with a hole pattern for the pilot holes for the shaft holes. I was able to get the old hole pattern and extrapolate the two new ones (the small shelf uses 4 poles, the longer ones will use 2 additional) and cut it out. Took it into the living room and confirmed dimensions.

Decided I did not want to saw being tired. So, I went into the back porch, turned on the fan light via the wall switch. Reached to the fan, pulled the chain for the fan, and felt something buzz by my hand. I yank it back and see a wasp dive bombing my hand and getting blown away by the spinning up fan. I beat a tactical retreat and watched three paper wasps get the home blown off a fan blade and be thoroughly repelled by a Hunter on high. I did not see the wasps any more, so I took stock of my messy porch that needs cleaned up to use to cut wood, and then I saw the three little ***** cowering in a corner. I opened up a can of Spectricide on two of them; one got away. I found him ten minutes later and used the entire can split evenly on those demons. There's typically two or three on a nest. I loathe them, been stung three times, and I will put three dollar's worth of foaming death on them and enjoy it.

These butcher block shelves require taping the template to a corner, tracing it, punching 4 pilot holes, removing the template, sawing off the two sides and then using spade bits on the holes. I'll also make a pair of feet from the leftovers, they also need counterboring on one side to hide the nuts and get them off the floor. Here's what the original looked like when I made it. You can see it has a "feet" shelf on the bottom.

Old August 26th, 2024, 07:21 PM

Chris, what I meant was, on a two pole lift, there are two towers. On better lifts, they have a crossbar at the top. So, imagine a giant tombstone sticking up that is that rectangle, the two poles and the cross bar. Now, put that tombstone on the centerline of the roof, and the top corners of the stone will touch the ceiling, or close to it. It's time for ascii art, let's see if this works.

....................../\.............
...................../...\..........
.................../.___.\......
................./..|....|..\........
................|...|....|...|......
................|...|....|...|.....

Except my roof will be much shallower slope.
John - Got it, thanks for the clarification.
Old August 26th, 2024, 07:29 PM

John - Those are sharp looking shelves, and they look super sturdy too, nice work! Glad you wasted those nasty little bastards, I hate them too! 👍
Old August 27th, 2024, 03:10 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got up early and decided I'd rather sleep another hour and a half. Good thing I did, I walked into a mess. Two guys were taking a wheel apart and didn't let the air out first. Lots of "details" going around but suffice it to say it didn't end well. This happened in the back, and I work up front so it wouldn't have affected me directly, but the whole place heard the tire explode and now everyone is just standing around. No idea what's in store for today, management is huddling and hasn't spoken up yet. This happened right before I got here, maybe 510 this morning. I saw the last emergency vehicle go over the bridge as I was entering the airport.

I'm guessing I don't know the two guys involved. Three actually. But they are in my prayers as is the whole shop. We won't get past this one for awhile.

Tuesday. Hope it's good for everyone.

Old August 27th, 2024, 07:25 AM

Two guys were taking a wheel apart and didn't let the air out first. Lots of "details" going around but suffice it to say it didn't end well. This happened in the back, and I work up front so it wouldn't have affected me directly, but the whole place heard the tire explode and now everyone is just standing around.
Mike - That sounds horrible, my prayers go out to all involved.
Old August 27th, 2024, 08:13 AM

Split rims and similar can really hurt people.

We had an EMS call last night to a neighbor. I saw a bunch of ambulances, and then went about my business. I think it is rude as hell to stand on the road and gawk at neighbors if they get EMS stuff dispatched.
Old August 27th, 2024, 09:27 AM

Split rims and similar can really hurt people.

We had an EMS call last night to a neighbor. I saw a bunch of ambulances, and then went about my business. I think it is rude as hell to stand on the road and gawk at neighbors if they get EMS stuff dispatched.
Agree, on all points!
Old August 27th, 2024, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Agree, on all points!
Old August 27th, 2024, 12:39 PM

Good morning everyone.

Got up early and decided I'd rather sleep another hour and a half. Good thing I did, I walked into a mess. Two guys were taking a wheel apart and didn't let the air out first. Lots of "details" going around but suffice it to say it didn't end well. This happened in the back, and I work up front so it wouldn't have affected me directly, but the whole place heard the tire explode and now everyone is just standing around. No idea what's in store for today, management is huddling and hasn't spoken up yet. This happened right before I got here, maybe 510 this morning. I saw the last emergency vehicle go over the bridge as I was entering the airport.

I'm guessing I don't know the two guys involved. Three actually. But they are in my prayers as is the whole shop. We won't get past this one for awhile.

Tuesday. Hope it's good for everyone.
Wow, I saw the news story and didn't realize it was your facility. Glad you're OK!

2 killed, 1 hurt after tire explosion at Delta Air Lines maintenance facility

https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2024/08/27/firefighters-called-incident-delta-air-lines-hangar

ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - Two Delta Air Lines team members are dead and another is hurt after an “incident” at a Delta Air Lines maintenance facility in Atlanta.

“The Delta family is heartbroken at the loss of two team members and the injury of another following an incident this morning at the Atlanta Technical Operations Maintenance facility,” Delta said in a statement. “We have extended our full support to family members and colleagues during this incredibly difficult time.”

Atlanta Fire and Rescue said they responded just after 5 a.m.

The three employees were part of Delta’s TechOps team and the incident happened at the wheel and brake shop at the facility, John Laughter, Delta TechOps president said in a memo to employees.

“I offer my deepest condolences to the family and loved ones of the deceased Delta employees,” Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens said in a statement on social media. “My thoughts are also with those who were injured, and I hope for their swift and full recovery.”

The IAM Union, which has been trying to get a union created for Delta employees, confirmed that a tire exploded at the maintenance facility.

“We stand in unity with Delta workers during this difficult time and we call on Delta and the relevant authorities to quickly launch a thorough investigation into how this happened,” the IAM Union said in a statement.

A Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport spokesperson said that the incident happened on Delta property and did not impact any operations at the airport.
“Our prayers are with the families affected by the tragic incident at Delta Air Lines’s Technical Operations Maintenance facility this morning,” a statement on the airport’s social media accounts read. " We send condolences to our partners as they continue to “Keep Climbing” during this difficult time.”

Delta thanked first responders and medical teams.

“The Delta family is grateful for the quick action of first responders and medical teams on site. We are now working with local authorities and conducting a full investigation to determine what happened.”

OHSA has started an investigation into the incident.

Return for updates on this breaking news story.
Old August 27th, 2024, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Wow, I saw the news story and didn't realize it was your facility. Glad you're OK!
I knew about the outcome within about a 1/2-hour of Mike's original post, but I didn't post anything because I didn't know how much Mike and other employees knew at that point. Very, very sad!

Mike, I'm so glad you're OK buddy!

Old August 27th, 2024, 02:17 PM

Mike, I thought "oh ****" when the news article popped up on my phone. I'm glad that you weren't involved, but so sorry for those that were.
Old August 27th, 2024, 03:32 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks guys. My day didn't last very long. The cops threw us out of the shop so they could investigate and we went upstairs to a classroom and just hung out. It wasn't very long and the big manager of component maintenance came up and gave the usual drivel. Then he said just go home. We'll come back tomorrow and see what's what. So I was home by 730. After that I went over to the airport and jawed awhile, then went home and did some yardwork, then went to Awful house, then cleaned up my mess from yardwork, and in between it all did a load of laundry.

I don't really know any more than I did this morning, but I have seen a few news stories and they got it all wrong. They kept saying the tire exploded as it was being taken off the airplane. Nope. I'm sure it will all come out tomorrow. The story that Kenneth posted is from the director of maintenance, and pretty much matches what we knew before we left. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain how a wheel assembly goes together and why those men died when it came apart right in their faces. A tire with 225psi in it will be devastating immediately and those guys never knew what happened.

Went to the Summit cruise last night. One Oldsmobile, the yellow 442 with the fancy stripes. It has W30 equipment but I don't know if it's original. Quilted interior, looks very 70s. Pretty car. Lots of cars but nothing really to write home about.

I think I'll hit the sack early tonight. Just got a text from the lead, no overtime tomorrow so just going in at 6. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old August 27th, 2024, 04:28 PM

Pep's Drafthaus "Five Meat Mash" - Pepperoni, Spicy Italian Sausage, Canadian Bacon, Sausage, Bacon, and Mozzarella and Provelolone Cheeses.
Old August 27th, 2024, 04:55 PM

Mike the news of your workplace accident affects so many. Thoughts and prayers for the workers and the families.

Chili Crisp cream cheese stuffed Jalapeno bacon wrapped poppers on the weber here in Wisco tonight

Chris the Peps brand does a good job on the zaz'z

I found a local pizza joint selling retail some of their "that's a spicy sausage" in the local market yesterday.

I cant wait to try it on one of my homemade pan styles.

Rocky Rococo started up in the 70's around town they have been marketing their sauce for some time now (back in the day my bud that worked there talked the manager into selling me 2.5lb or so bags for cash) Finding the sausage being retailed was a smile on the face.

Old August 27th, 2024, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by otto72

Chili Crisp cream cheese stuffed Jalapeno bacon wrapped poppers on the weber here in Wisco tonight

Keith - Those are the best looking homemade food I've seen on here in many a moon! I love jalapeño poppers and those look gourmet, just outstanding! 👍
Old August 27th, 2024, 05:14 PM

Keith - Those are the best looking homemade food I've seen on here in many a moon! I love jalapeño poppers and those look gourmet, just outstanding! 👍

Compliment received Baconator (Chris)

Walmart has the Chili Crisp Isle A12 4Tb per 2-8oz soft cream cheese.... Jalapeno's the bigger the better 20min/ check 20min check again 300-350' steady mine went 60min Like bacon done
Old August 27th, 2024, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Compliment received Baconator (Chris)

Walmart has the Chili Crisp Isle A12 4Tb per 2-8oz soft cream cheese.... Jalapeno's the bigger the better 20min/ check 20min check again 300-350' steady mine went 60min Like bacon done
Thanks for the recipe buddy!
Old August 27th, 2024, 06:25 PM

Mike, I am glad you missed the boom.

Ordered some more parts for the truck. Was going to do clutch hydraulics last weekend, got delayed by cleaning. Good thing, as I need two more parts. They are on their way. Also ordered replacement magnetron, transformer, and diodes for my microwave. Got two plastic handled awls on the way, apparently one shorts the giant capacitor by poking a terminal with each, then crossing the awl shafts to touch and short, while you are on the plastic handles. I am going to wear electrical gloves, too. Then I will unplug the harness and leave that capacitor alone while I work on other parts.
Old August 28th, 2024, 05:10 AM

Hi guys, geez Mike that accident is horrible, for sure. I have a separate point to make though- not to take away from the seriousness of the event itself- BUT, - Why does a workplace accident w 2 fatalities and 1 injury make the national news? Because it involves airplane tires!! Sensationalism!!
-- Things going great here. Took Olds on the Old US27 Tour again this year (18th)- perfect! Nice sunny weather and not crazy hot. Car did great. Got about 15MPG- not bad... Lost power 2 times in last 2 days- generator ran until I shut it off- no need for it to run while we are sleeping- Power came on sometime last night.
Old August 28th, 2024, 05:20 AM

Mike, Does Delta use Mike Vicks PR firm
Old August 28th, 2024, 06:47 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Everyone gathered at 6 this morning to hear more trite non-information from the talking heads. I suppose they think they are helping but there's no point in -only- saying stay safe and take care of each other over and over.

Greg what tells me the news isn't interested in any people involved, is they are trying to villify the airplane. They've somehow determined what plane the wheel came off of, when it was built and delivered to us, and the flight in. I read one news item that said, just one more thing about a Boeing plane... Boeing the company has absolutely nothing to do with this, but since they produced the plane, 31 years ago, the journalist is trying to sensationalize the trouble that Boeing has had in the past. Shitty.

Jamesbo I'm not making the connection. Is this Mike Vick the dog fighter guy?

Chris the pizza looks good. I haven't had pizza in months. I can hardly believe it. Hey do you have a Maid Rite anywhere near you? Keith the poppers look wonderful as well. I would just stand at the grille and eat them all right off the rack.

Slow day so far. We have wheels on the rail but those are the only ones. So we aren't building them because then we wouldn't have any. Some odd logic but nobody asked me. There are HR people and lots of other people who don't belong here scrutinizing the operation in the back where the accident happened. They are making sure they come up with a way this doesn't happen again. Well, it won't as long as no one tries to take a wheel apart while sitting on the ground, AND NOT VERIFYING THE WHEEL IS DEFLATED. This was an irregular operation so watching the right way to do things isn't going to help at all. Well, I should reach the end of the internet, again, soon and go back the other way.

Okay! I wasn't going to go out to lunch today like I usually do on Wednesdays, but since there isn't much going on I won't have to worry about getting back. Gotta take Mom to the doctor after work. I'm gonna have to have a talk with those people. The office is open till 5, the lab is open till 4, yet the last appointment of the day is 3. They have to insure that they get to go home early. Sheesh.

Have a good day everyone!

Old August 28th, 2024, 07:37 AM

Mike, yes but no body ever says nothing ]like what really happened] It's like everyone just covers their asses but never tells the story
Old August 28th, 2024, 07:43 AM

Good morning everyone.
Chris the pizza looks good. I haven't had pizza in months. I can hardly believe it. Hey do you have a Maid Rite anywhere near you?
Mike - I had never heard of Maid-Rite, so I had to look it up. We don't have one near St. Louis, I believe the only one in all of Missouri is in Rolla, 100-miles SW of me. The next closest one is in the little town of Christopher, IL about 110-miles from me in SW Illinois. Do you have them there in Atlanta, and are they supposed to be good?
Old August 28th, 2024, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, yes but no body ever says nothing ]like what really happened] It's like everyone just covers their asses but never tells the story
Jim - Don't you know you're not allowed to tell the real truth the second Lawyers get involved?
Old August 28th, 2024, 08:01 AM
Always room for one more

Chris Maid Rite is from Iowa, but rather prevalent in the Quad Cities. There's actually one in Ohio. But they are mostly Iowa/Illinois. Just wondered if you had one close by. Steamed ground beef on a bun. Sounds weird but it's wonderful.

The talking heads keep telling us how well the company is taking care of those guys' families. What they aren't saying is the next line they tell them: sign here.

I realized I can't go out to lunch. I drove the truck today and parked in an end space with the hatch marks behind it. I can't park between cars because the spaces are small and the aisle is ridiculous. If I were to leave and someone took my space, I'd have to park waaay in the back and walk a mile because the truck wouldn't fit anywhere else. I'm bummed. Eh, maybe I'll go tomorrow.

Okay lunch.

Old August 28th, 2024, 10:39 AM

Chris Maid Rite is from Iowa, but rather prevalent in the Quad Cities. There's actually one in Ohio. But they are mostly Iowa/Illinois. Just wondered if you had one close by. Steamed ground beef on a bun. Sounds weird but it's wonderful.
Mike - I checked out the menu online when I was checking out the franchise. The steamed ground beef sandwiches look like a Sloppy Joe, without the Sloppy, LoL. I'd definitely try one just to see what they're all about. I saw they also sell Pulled Pork BBQ sandwiches, that would probably be my 1st choice.
Old August 28th, 2024, 10:49 AM

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is having a good day.

I'm guessing since Norm hasn't been around, this is his week to Marshall at the Golf Tournament? Does anyone remember? Hope he's having a good time.

It was blistering hot here yesterday, 103°F, with a Heat Index of 115°. It tied the record for that date in St. Louis. Not as bad today, but the humidity is up so it feels almost as bad. Supposed to cool off again this coming weekend into the mid-80's. I'm glad for that because I'm planning on going to a judged Show at a VFW in Collinsville, IL about 45-miles away on Sunday.

Old August 28th, 2024, 12:53 PM

It was blistering hot here yesterday, 103°F, with a Heat Index of 115°. It tied the record for that date in St. Louis. Not as bad today, but the humidity is up so it feels almost as bad. Supposed to cool off again this coming weekend into the mid-80's.