The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2024, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris I'm glad you got your car back and you're happy with it. Maybe all he did was wash the windshield. When I was a kid and worked at the dealership, they told me to always wash the windshield on a car that just had work done on it. A car with a clean windshield runs better.
Mike - Well ya, everyone knows a clean car always runs better. It has better aerodynamics, with less drag on the car without all that dirt on it, and it weighs less.

Seriously though, I was extremely pleased with everything he did! When we got there to pick it up and he wanted to raise it back up on the lift to show me some of the extras he did, that told me alot. He cared about the car, and he cared what I thought about what he did. Norm used a great term in his description of the whole experience, "ownership". My mechanic took complete ownership because he takes great pride in what he does! I forgot to mention this yesterday, but when he put the car back up on the lift yesterday and he was showing me his work, he pointed out how he had added a "Posi-Tag" to my Rear Differential cover when he reinstalled it. He said he did it because he had an extra tag lying around and he wanted it to look right. How many guys would have done that?
Old August 22nd, 2024, 06:46 AM
Always room for one more

Actually it's psychological. If the windshield is clean, you won't be thinking about what was wrong with the car. But you're right, better aerodynamics. Less skin drag. That's incredibly cool about the tag.

Old August 22nd, 2024, 07:02 AM
Running On Empty

As a part-time Shell service station employee/attendant we washed every single windshield on every single vehicle at any time a vehicle came w/in 10' of a fuel pump (it seemed). Recall the old placard holders located on the dash boards? Folks loved it after an oil + lube job and we'd update their oil + lube job piece of paper and place it into their holder. Then came the inside windshield stickies - progress!
Old August 22nd, 2024, 07:23 AM

My truck windshield is so filthy that it will be cleaned when I replace the cracked thing.
Old August 22nd, 2024, 07:48 AM

Actually it's psychological. If the windshield is clean, you won't be thinking about what was wrong with the car. But you're right, better aerodynamics. Less skin drag. That's incredibly cool about the tag.
Mike - I was just kidding about the increased aerodynamics and less weight. LoL But I think you're right about the psychological part!
Old August 22nd, 2024, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
As a part-time Shell service station employee/attendant we washed every single windshield on every single vehicle at any time a vehicle came w/in 10' of a fuel pump (it seemed).
Although it was nice back then to have someone pump your gas and clean your windshield, it probably wouldn't be such a good idea today. There would be some number of those attendants who would be looking for the opportunity to steal your credit card info!
Old August 22nd, 2024, 08:01 AM

I absolutely loathe full service. Stay the F away from me and my car. I don't like to be approached when filling gas. Largest I ever saw someone's eyes get is when I was getting gas in Montgomery Alabama and this bum starts talking to me. About the time I get done, he notices I am not being too smooth with the pump as I was doing it left handed, and realized why my dominant hand was in my coat pocket and what it was holding. I think that saved me from him going for a knife after asking for money didn't work.
Old August 22nd, 2024, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I think that saved me from him going for a knife after asking for money didn't work.
Quite possible, ya just never know what you're gonna run into out there these days, it's scary!!!
Old August 22nd, 2024, 09:28 AM
Running On Empty

Those events/situations were unheard of in the 60s/70s which was the era I specifically referred to.
Old August 22nd, 2024, 09:43 AM
Always room for one more

I used to frequent a gas station by me and I was constantly being approachd by panhandlers. They'd walk up and before they could say their first word I'd say, I'm not giving you any money. Or if they got the drop on me I'd say, I don't have any cash. It got so bad one day I went in and told the manager I wouldn't come back because of all the harassment I got from the bums. One time at Walmart gas station I told this guy I wasn't giving him money and he started cussing me out and bitching at me for not helping his fellow man. Geez, go step in front of a moving train.

Things are unusually calm here today, of course people aren't really working and we have about 80 more wheels to do in less than two hours. That's funny. Lots of contract wheels with the safety wire and lots of big wheels that take a long time to fill. The guy that sits across from me has been regaling me with stories of what it was like to grow up in Shreveport LA. I in turn have been telling a young guy who wants to move what a great place Chicago is and how much there is to do there.

Old August 22nd, 2024, 01:06 PM

Remember awhile back I mentioned that the company was giving away a new car for the grand prize, and $10k for first place for overtime participation? Well, it turns out those were the prizes for each plant up here, so four new cars, and four $10k payouts. pretty cool. They had the drawings last week, and a gal in my department won $10k. She thought that people would be jealous, until we started congratulating her on her winnings. One car has not been claimed, ticket holder never came forward, and they checked anyone who was off on vacation, plus sick and medical leave. My guess it was someone that either quit, or was terminated during that period.
Old August 22nd, 2024, 01:32 PM

As a part-time Shell service station employee/attendant we washed every single windshield on every single vehicle at any time a vehicle came w/in 10' of a fuel pump (it seemed).
We did that at the Mobil station where I worked, plus the owner installed a vacuum at the full service island. Man, that thing was so powerful it would pull dirt from the floorboard through the carpet. We really got to liking it after we realized the women folk would get out of their vehicle for us to vacuum the carpets, and we could get a good "overall" look at them.
Old August 22nd, 2024, 01:47 PM
Running On Empty

One time at Walmart gas station I told this guy I wasn't giving him money and he started cussing me out and bitching at me for not helping his fellow man. Geez, go step in front of a moving train.
Had that happen to me ~5 years ago at a coffee shop. The guy was drunk & I felt more like punching him directly in his throat, but I told him I was calling the police. He high-tailed it out of there cussing & swearing. BTW, you'll completely incapacitate a human being with a very hard swift solid punch to their throat - aim for the Adam's apple. Human's cannot function w/o air. The only caveat is it "is" possible to kill someone if you break & severely rupture the trachea - best to use in a life/death self-defense application.
Old August 22nd, 2024, 05:06 PM

Hope everyone has had a great day! Weather here has been more like early Fall the last few days than Summer, with highs in the high 70's and lows in the high 50's.

Norm, in your honor, I went out and detailed the entire exterior of the 4-4-2 today. She's already ready to get back out on the show and cruise-in scene.
Old August 22nd, 2024, 05:10 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm, in your honor, I went out and detailed the entire exterior of the 4-4-2 today. She's already ready to get back out on the show and cruise-in scene.
Chris - Find me a frick'n fire truck. Preferably a '49 REO.

Old August 22nd, 2024, 05:30 PM

Chris - Find me a frick'n fire truck. Preferably a '49 REO.

Trust me, I haven't forgotten. I look for one at every event I go to.
Old August 22nd, 2024, 05:44 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
My guess it was someone that either quit, or was terminated during that period.

Old August 23rd, 2024, 05:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Terrific morning so far. I didn't have a wall guy for the two overtime hours, so I got zero signed. Then the good wall guy I had yesterday was reassigned and I got another guy I thought was good. He does a good job but would rather stand around and talk rather than work. This is going to be a long day.

Norm the deal with the bike must be in the bag since you took the picture down. That puts you down to one vehicle, doesn't it? The diesel Ford tractor? Unless you're drunk then you can take the lawn mower(like George Jones).

Dan that's cool that someone you know won the prize. We've had big drawings in the past but never find out who actually wins. Makes me think the whole thing was a ruse. She does need to bring donuts for the group.

I want a fire truck. And I've based this want on a pseudo need by saying it would be available to my small private airport in the event of an incident. Heck I can justify anything to myself.

Well we're coming up on break and it will be exactly the same as what I've been doing so far. Might go take a walk. The summer sun's calling my name. Have a great Friday everyone.

Old August 23rd, 2024, 01:41 PM

[QUOTEI want a fire truck.][/QUOTE], I'd love a late '20 early 30's firetruck. I just think that they are cool looking.
Old August 23rd, 2024, 02:49 PM
Always room for one more

What a long day. I signed 17 wheels all day. I had a good wall guy right at 6 and then he went away and his replacement turned out to be a turd. He'd talk with his buddies or look at his phone, but not do work. Then the tire retriever was broke for about an hour. I reached the end of the internet then turned around and reached the other end. I hope overtime tomorrow is better than today.

Beautiful out and perfect temp. I hate to say that I like it because I know what it means. Winter won't be too far behind. I don't have winter like I used to but it can still get damn cold here. I need to move to Ecuador.

Old August 23rd, 2024, 04:04 PM

Cleaning the garage. Moved my welder. I need to learn how to use this thing. Need to finish cleaning, get the truck in here, do work on it, then use the space for about 3 more projects this fall.
Old August 23rd, 2024, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Moved my welder. I need to learn how to use this thing.
I hear Mike has some light welding that needs to be done. Might be a perfect opportunity for you to practice. It's not like he needs perfect welds that are water tight so his car can float on water. Oh wait...
Old August 23rd, 2024, 07:09 PM

Beautiful out and perfect temp. I hate to say that I like it because I know what it means. Winter won't be too far behind. I don't have winter like I used to but it can still get damn cold here. I need to move to Ecuador.
Even being from Michigan, I say if it's below 60° it's too cold. We'd had about 3 -days in a row with lows in the high 50's and highs in the high 70's until today when it got back into the high 80's. Supposed to be 90 tomorrow and 96 by Monday. Summer is obviously not over here!
Old August 23rd, 2024, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Summer is obviously not over here!
Summer will end here around Halloween.

Old August 23rd, 2024, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Our temps will drop somewhere around Halloween.
I really feel for ya Kenneth, those kind of temps on and on for months on end has got to be miserable!
Old August 23rd, 2024, 08:05 PM

Summer will end here around Halloween.

I have to be out there in a few weeks. Can you get it below 100 for the high?
Old August 23rd, 2024, 08:07 PM

This was on TV 8 days ago, so we’re at 90 days now.

Old August 23rd, 2024, 08:10 PM

This was on TV 8 days ago, so we’re at 90 days now.

Just crazy!
Old August 23rd, 2024, 08:38 PM

Hey, I’m just glad it’s not 118 degrees anymore! Anything below 110 is no sweat (literally).
Old August 24th, 2024, 03:10 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Been going pretty steady since I got here, almost two hours. Lots of people came in for OT today and I had a couple holdovers from yesterday. We should do pretty well today.

So I showered upstairs this morning, and boy howdy what a difference. I don't know when I'll get to the store to get a new valve, but now at least I've got a good shower until I do. But it's backwards from my shower and it's a little unsettling.

Brought the SRX to work this morning. I need to change the transmission oil this afternoon to get ready for our trip next week. I doubt very seriously if it's ever been changed, and at 62000 I'm sure it needs it. Shouldn't be too late as to cause slipping, but I don't want to put it off.

You know what else I need to do is adjust the headlights. I think some snowbird that owned it in the past had them aimed down, probably to keep the other seniors in the neighborhood from being blinded. It has those projector beam headlights but they don't light up the street any better than daytime running lights. They should be like spotlights.

Time for break. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old August 24th, 2024, 06:50 AM

Good morning everyone.

Time for break. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Mike - Hope you get out early, and have an enjoyable and productive rest of your weekend!
Old August 24th, 2024, 04:27 PM
Always room for one more

We finished up around 10, did 130 wheels, and left around 1130. Headed to Awful house and had a good chat with my friends.

Got home and was going to work on the car, and looked in the owners manual to see what version of Dexron I needed to pick up. It says not to change the transmission until 97500. Not sure why but it seemed to make a big deal about it. So I didn't do that. Everything else I wanted to do required the pickup one way or another and it was at Mom's, so I ended up unloading some boxes out of the trailer. Also got two loads of laundry done. So I'd say the afternoon was a success.

Walmart tomorrow and then start the new week. Short week because I'm off Friday. No mention of [that wet stuff that falls from the sky]. I'm afraid to say the word for fear I'll jinx myself.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old August 24th, 2024, 06:49 PM

We finished up around 10, did 130 wheels, and left around 1130. Headed to Awful house and had a good chat with my friends.
Mike - All in all it sounds like you had a good day! 👍 Hope the rest of the weekend is nice for you.
Old August 24th, 2024, 06:57 PM

Good evening guys,

Went to the Raising Cains car cruise-in this evening. Nice turnout! Car ran great and I had a great time. So nice to be out with it again.

Hope everyone has a great rest of your weekend!
Old August 24th, 2024, 07:54 PM

Good for the repaired car!

I'm still cleaning a garage. Getting close. I'm about to start back on carpentry for an expanded stereo rack. I found the original shelf template, so that allows me to make 1 of the same pattern, and then I need to make a bigger template for the 3 new longer shelves, but having the original template eliminates most of my measurements.
Old August 25th, 2024, 04:54 AM

John - Glad you're almost done with your garage cleaning, and that you found your original shelf template. 👍
Old August 25th, 2024, 08:33 AM

Good morning guys,

Summer is back with a vengeance today with a projected high of 96. The next 5-days we're in for high 90's, even 100 on Tuesday, and heat indices around 105. Yuk!

Lazy Sunday here, I haven't done squat other than some online banking/accounting junk. Wife's off to her Brother's place of business where his Motorhome is parked to try and wrap up her interior refresh of that. Seems like she's been working on that piece of crap for 3-months. Always the "one more thing" syndrome" from the Sister in-law. Not a single word yet about what her payout is gonna be, but they'd better pay her handsomely because she's probably spent at least $300 just in gas running back and forth.

So with her gone, probably most of the day, I'm on pup patrol, so we're just chillin.
Hope ya'll have a great Sunday!

Old August 25th, 2024, 10:20 AM

Did a wash and wax yesterday on the Olds. Ordered a boot for the top as the one I have is yellowing in spots. Installed a new windshield wiper fluid jar that came from Fusicks on Friday, cleaned the wheelwells a bit. Gotta get a PIM so I can see how the radiator overflow catch can is attached. It also came form Fusick. Ouch! Not cheap. Not much on the agenda today. Groceries, fill hummingbird feeder, and do some watering.

Last edited by 1969w3155; August 25th, 2024 at 10:24 AM.
Old August 25th, 2024, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Did a wash and wax yesterday on the Olds. Ordered a boot for the top as the one I have is yellowing in spots. Installed a new windshield wiper fluid jar that came from Fusicks on Friday
Dan - Sounds like you're having fun sprucing up a few things on the Cutlass, that's cool, good for you! 👍 Wish we were close to each other, it would be fun to hit some shows and cruises together!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 25th, 2024 at 02:54 PM.
Old August 25th, 2024, 03:37 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Typical Sunday I guess, slept in, went to my airport and talked with some guys, went to Walmart. After lunch I took Mom to get her hair cut and then I talked on the phone with John from da swamp. So it's back to work tomorrow for a short week.

Chris I'll bet it was extra enjoyable at this show with your car freshly worked on. You should dig a grease pit in the garage so you can get under the car for cleaning when you take it out. Or a four post lift. I don't think your garage is tall enough for that.

Been absolutely beautiful here the past few days, but it's supposed to be back into the 90s this week. It's time to get back into the mowing thing, it's been a couple weeks. We don't have much longer to have to mow, then I can get caught up and not have to worry about it. I hope I can spend some time over the winter cleaning out the yards' overgrowth and trimming trees and the like.

Working early every day this week, because I'll be gone and won't work overtime next Saturday. Going to what used to be the home of Montgomery Elevator.

Hope everyone has a good night and a good start to the week.