The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2023, 03:49 PM

John, did you get something fun, something functional, an investment, or??

Last edited by Fun71; April 8th, 2023 at 03:51 PM.
Old April 8th, 2023, 04:24 PM

I had been planning on getting some AR-10 stripped lowers, so I did. They arrived, and, while I was there, a little Ruger Mk IV Hunter started jumping up and down in the display case and wanted to go home with me. So, it did.

I also have been cleaning house. I brought, with my father, a bunch of stuff to my house from his place in FL where I grew up in 2016. I brought five bookshelf units, four are a set. They each had 3 shelves as they were made for toys. My dad bought them raw in 1989 or so and finished them in the garage. He used them to divide the big bedroom which my little brother and I shared. When I moved upstairs above the garage I moved two of them in 1994 or so. In 16, we hauled them up here with other things, and I put 4 shelves on 3 of them, and none on the 4th, intending to make shelves. It only took me 8 years to get wood cut, then finished, but it looks pretty good with the 4 new shelves.
Old April 8th, 2023, 04:25 PM

Old April 8th, 2023, 04:41 PM

That’s very pretty. I have a Gov’t Target model with 6 7/8” bull barrel and it is very accurate. I did some trigger work and it breaks around 1.5 pounds. First time at the range I was double tapping, and I had to learn a deliberate trigger release. Once I got that down it became easy to rapid fire an entire magazine into a 1” target bullseye at 50 feet.

Last edited by Fun71; April 8th, 2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old April 8th, 2023, 06:42 PM

Hey guys,

Greg - I did just what you suggested, jacked up the rear end to insure the brakes weren't dragging, thanks for the suggestion though. Tightening the cable seemed ??? to help with "the noise". I thought I heard it a few times, but more faint. Maybe it's still a little too loose and making minor contact? May tighten it up a tad more. Good luck with fix and resale of the F150. Hope you can turn a good profit on it!

Mike - Do as Kenneth suggested and get a dog hammock for the rear seat. It won't keep Tiger from slobbering on the windows, but it will save the seats, plus it's safer for him. We use one for our pups. They only take 5-minutes to get in/out and they're not expensive.

John - Beautiful pistol, and the shelf looks fantastic, nice job!

I decided to go to only one of the 2 cruises I originally intended to. I went to the one at the Burger King only 2.5-miles from me. Beautiful weather and nice turnout. You can checkout the pics at the following link:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...8-23-a-171121/

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old April 8th, 2023, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hi guys - Beautiful here today. Sunny, 0% chance of rain, and a high of 70. Gonna hit 2 car events this afternoon/evening. One is a cruise-in at a large Church about 15-miles from me and the other is a cruise-in at the local BK only 3-miles from my house. Gonna hit the one at the Church 1st because it starts earlier, then swing by the one at BK on my way home.

Been crawling around the undercarriage of the car the last couple of days to see if I might be able to find the mystery noise. I noticed the emergency brake cable was a little loose, and the transfer bracket (where main cable splits into R/L) was contacting the exhaust pipe on the driver's side. Tightened up the cable some and got it off of the pipe, and hopefully is taunt enough to keep the bracket from bouncing off the pipe. Haven't started it up yet to test, just keeping my fingers crossed???

Hope everyone has a great day!
Chris if you ever want to prank someone get an industrial tywrap about 12"long and 3/8 to 1/2 wide and zip ty it to the driveshaft don't trim the tag end or you will loose the desired effect.
Old April 8th, 2023, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Chris if you ever want to prank someone get an industrial tywrap about 12"long and 3/8 to 1/2 wide and zip ty it to the driveshaft don't trim the tag end or you will loose the desired effect.
I bet that'd make one hell of a racket!
Old April 8th, 2023, 08:29 PM

I've done it with weeds before when off roading to myself.

One I want to do is a harmonica ziptied into the wind on the bottom of the core support.
Old April 8th, 2023, 09:01 PM

Old April 9th, 2023, 07:20 AM

Happy Easter everyone! Hope you have a great day, whatever you're doing!

I had a very enjoyable discussion yesterday evening with a gentleman at the car cruise-in about Oldsmobile Racing Nostalgia in St.Louis. I did not know at the time if I would get the pics he promised to send me, but he was true to his word and I got them late last night. If you want to read about the discussion and see the pics you can find them here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...7/#post1490889
Old April 9th, 2023, 12:42 PM

Old April 9th, 2023, 12:49 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Nice spread. I made egg salad this morning, currently finishing up making potato salad.
Old April 9th, 2023, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim - Nice spread. I made egg salad this morning, currently finishing up making potato salad.
Norm, I like mine with crumbled up bacon
Old April 9th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, I like mine with crumbled up bacon
Jim - So do I. I made BLT yesterday...crumbled bacon today.
Old April 9th, 2023, 03:57 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone Happy Easter.

Beautiful day. Actually got a couple things done after Walmart. Much easier with this new car trying to get all the groceries inside and separated.

So the new car. It has a leak in the sunroof. Mom got in the car and set her purse on the floor and it came up soaking wet. When I got home I got some towels and dried the floor up best I could and set the floor mat out on the driveway. Took the kick panels off and pulled the carpeting up a little. Got the garden hose out and ran it over certain places, didn't find anything, ran water over the sunroof and saw it trickling down the bulkhead. Wasn't a lot but we've gotten quite a bit of rain the last few days. Gonna call the place tomorrow.

I gotta take my shoes off to see how many days the mechanic has had the pickup. Maybe they will finish tomorrow, though I'm not holding my breath. My only hope is that they do the job correctly and I don't have to take it back for him to fix what they "fixed."

Jamesbo that looks like lots of good food. Mom had no intention of fixing a big meal for the two of us. I got a pizza and brought over. Didn't bother me in the least.

Full and normal week coming up. I -should- have a good wall guy. If it turns out it isn't supposed to rain next weekend I'm gonna see if my friend from Alabama will come over and help me move stuff around.

Okay time for MASH. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old April 9th, 2023, 07:13 PM

House cleaning is underway. Done with my office. It's a pain because I have a lot of stuff in there, but I cleaned the floor, put wood polish on the shelves, the desk, the secretary and the printer's table, cleaned the closet and the file cabinet, wiped down the closet door, room door, those frames and the window frame, cleaned the window, and wiped the dust off the ceiling fan. Took my PC outside and used canned air on it. Cleaned all peripherals and put it back together. Loaded the bookshelf with the new shelves and the 4 rows of books sitting on the living room floor waiting for it. It is now fully loaded. I can bring stuff back into this room now while moving to clean the guest room.
Old April 9th, 2023, 07:16 PM

Old April 10th, 2023, 04:13 AM

Had a nice Easter dinner here only actually on Saturday. Was a great time with all of oldest son's family and younger son and one of his daughters. Very nice- Ham and all the fixins. And hard boiled colored eggs! I forgot how much I love a hard boiled egg with some salt. Good leftover treat! Easter was a beautiful day about 60 and sunny. I went over and fixed a spot where county snow plow peeled up some grass and dirt, easiest to get flattened out while still soft and grass hasn't started to grow. Hope to go get that truck on Wednesday. Today I am going to help set up Moose lodge for Red Cross blood drive on Tues, then work that on Tues, then pickup truck on Wed. Go see my hospice guy on prolly Thurs- he is doing pretty good. Well, have a good week, guys.
Old April 10th, 2023, 05:13 AM
Running On Empty

John - I like the bookcase. I have a very similarly styled six drawer dresser cabinet which was mine as I grew up. Not exactly sure where it was purchased by my mother. It was getting weak in the knees (floppy) so I completely dismantled it ~2003. To my surprise there is neither a single nail nor a single screw used - completely assembled via wood joinery - corners are all dovetail joints. I washed each board, cleaned the joints, applied new wood glue to all the joints and during a 2-3 day period I wrapped, secured & tightened the entire dresser with several tie-down ratchet straps. I read the Dune series & a couple Jack Higgins.
Old April 10th, 2023, 06:28 AM

Good morning guys,

Jim and Greg - Your Easter feasts sure looked and sounded great, I'm envious!

Mike - Sorry to hear about the leaky sunroof in the Caddy, that really sucks!

John - Sure sounds like you're keeping busy with all that cleaning. Your bookcase looks really nice! I'm envious of all the '67 manuals you have! When I first bought my car I purchased a CSM and a Factory Assembly Manual, both reprints, not the best but better than nothing, I didn't know about the quality difference from originals at the time. Wish I had the Service Guide, Part`s Numbers, and Part's Illustration catalogs, maybe someday?

My wife's oldest daughter, the one that has the 2 young girls, had a 3rd b-day party for the youngest one, mainly just for family, in the late afternoon yesterday. My original thought was, and still is, who plans a b-day party for Easter afternoon??? Well my wife wanted to go over early to help her clean up and prep for the party, and of course planned on staying to help clean up after. So, I took her over around 9am, and then came home to care for the dogs during the day, spending the majority of my time watching The Masters, and then went back to pick her up around 7pm. This all involved about 4-hours of driving time, which pretty much sucked.

Well, it's supposed to be very nice weather all week, with low chance of any rain and temps in the high 60's and low 70's. Hope you all have a great day and week!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 10th, 2023 at 07:57 AM.
Old April 10th, 2023, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good morning guys,

John - Sure sounds like you're keeping busy with all that cleaning. Your bookcase looks really nice! I'm envious of all the '67 manuals you have! When I first bought my car I purchased a CSM and a Factory Assembly Manual, both reprints, not the best but better than nothing, I didn't know about the quality difference from originals at the time. Wish I had the Service Guide, Part`s Numbers, and Part's Illustration catalogs, maybe someday?
I've got friends coming in May, Mom in June, and my brother in probably late Aug. There is much to do.

My 67 needs all the expert advice it can get.
Old April 10th, 2023, 08:48 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Lunch is just finishing up. Had a good morning. I've got one of my favorite wall guys today. My robot guy is a little bitch. He was the heyboy for the goon that left in December, wonder how he goes through his life now with no one to tell him what to do. This guy called out this morning and the lead pretty much told him to get himself into work the end. So he's not happy and working slow.

Beautiful day out. Seen it a couple times walking past the roll up door. How nice to walk out of the house this morning and see clear sky and stars. Gonna be nice all week and not too hot.

Chris is this the daughter [from California?] that moved not long ago with all the tattoos and ex-babydaddies? Why did she plan a birthday party for Easter afternoon? Because she is not very churchly and didn't realize it.

Day 12. What does Carnack think about the truck today?

Okay got some wheels. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old April 10th, 2023, 09:01 AM

Looks like I’ll hibernate the next couple days.

Old April 10th, 2023, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris is this the daughter [from California?] that moved not long ago with all the tattoos and ex-babydaddies? Why did she plan a birthday party for Easter afternoon? Because she is not very churchly and didn't realize it.
Yep, the same daughter, how'd you guess? Why'd she plan a b-day party for Easter afternoon? I'm sure you know the answer, it's because she never thinks about anyone but herself and what works well for her. I have absolutely no doubt that she will continue to be a constant source of family drama and chaos until other family members stop enabling her behavior.
Old April 10th, 2023, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Looks like I’ll hibernate the next couple days.

That's just obscene for early April!
Old April 10th, 2023, 09:06 AM

It’s actually been much cooler this year than typical.
Old April 10th, 2023, 09:58 AM
Always room for one more

Joy of joys the pickup is done. I'm almost afraid to get it back. A lot can happen in 12 days. They are getting an earful about how unprofessional it was to keep it that long, to tell me to bring it in when they knew they couldn't work on it, and to keep the truck from me when I could have used it while they had it. They won't care but they won't forget me. No I'm not going to be a dick.

Chris are family members actually enabling her or just overlooking her behavior to try to bring some sort of normalcy to the little girls? Yes that's still enabling. They are two hours away from you? I thought they were in the same town.

Someone brought a bluetooth speaker in and people will commandeer it with their phones and play music. I use that term loosely. There's a couple mexican-type people in the shop and they play loud, pounding, foreign worded "things" that give me a headache. I know I have bluetooth on my phone, I need to learn how to take over the speaker and either play what I like, or just leave it sit so no one else can tune in. They'd never suspect me.

Old April 10th, 2023, 10:10 AM

I need to go find my stud detector to hang some pictures. I have to put batteries in it as it would go off every time I walked by if I didn't.
Old April 10th, 2023, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris are family members actually enabling her or just overlooking her behavior to try to bring some sort of normalcy to the little girls? Yes that's still enabling. They are two hours away from you? I thought they were in the same town.
Mike - Really happy for ya that you finally got your truck back!

You said it yourself, it's still enabling. In my wife's case, I get it, it's her daughter and granddaughters, and it's hard not to baby her daughter, or do anything that makes the granddaughters lives more difficult. In the long run my wife is not doing her daughter any favors though, she needs to grow up and show some adult responsibility.

As for the distance to their house, it's 1-hour one way, 2-hours round-trip. I made that trip twice yesterday, total time 4-hours.
Old April 10th, 2023, 10:34 AM
Always room for one more

Do you ever bring the dogs with you so you have travel companions? I bet they'd love it.

Old April 10th, 2023, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim - So do I. I made BLT yesterday...crumbled bacon today.
Norm do you ever toast Blue cheese on your BLT? Kinda like a salad with croutons
Old April 10th, 2023, 02:44 PM

I have to put batteries in it as it would go off every time I walked by if I didn't.
Uh, yeah.LOL. Mike, take the caddy back and tell them to fix the sunroof. So, today I had two folks around my machine while I was working, one was continuous improvement, and he was trying something that he and an engineer thought might help with quality of the blades that I was running. Then here comes Justin, our young tech wiz, who handles anything and everything related to our computer operating systems, and then some. As I was working, I hear Justin tell Stewart that they tracked down some missing blades that we make (I run them a lot). They leave here after casting, go to Mexico for some work, and then get shipped back to us before the customer gets them. We have a couple of people who persue the internet looking for items that come up missing, and they found eight of our blades on Ebay for sale! Some, but not all of our blades have a 2D code cast into them, a QC code in 2D. (they all will at some point). Justin took a pic of one of the blades from the ebay listing, that happen to show the 2D code, and it gave him all of the info that he needed to show that they were our blades. He has apps on his phine for his position with the company and can scan our parts, and that will show where it was made, who worked on it throughout the entire mfg. process, and track it through shipping etc. These blades came up missing somewhere between Mexico and Michigan. They are pretty sure it was the truck driver, and have someone persuing legal action at our Whitehall, Mi. location.
Old April 10th, 2023, 02:49 PM

Jet engine blades anyone? https://www.ebay.com/itm/23490388633...Bk9SR4q-ktLtYQ
Old April 10th, 2023, 02:55 PM

Will those work on my Rocket 350?
Old April 10th, 2023, 03:00 PM

Well, with a big enough hammer i suppose so. I found other items from Howmet on there as well, that are from the division that makes aircraft fasteners, which would not be avaiable to the public. Those blades are worth far more than he is asking, one blade is several times more than what they are asking for eight of them. A lot of titanium alloy there.
Old April 10th, 2023, 03:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
...they found eight of our blades on Ebay for sale!
Nice of the eBay seller to have provided nice clear images for tracking...
Yeah, I would have thought one blade would be in the $1K range...eight for $1200 is a steal.
I look forward to hearing how this detective works ends.
Old April 10th, 2023, 03:23 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm do you ever toast Blue cheese on your BLT? Kinda like a salad with croutons
Jim - I think I have tried that combination once before when I didn't have any salad dressing & used blue cheese, instead. I think - been quite awhile ago. I most likely enjoyed it since I like blue cheese.
The weather was a tad gnarly in Augusta this weekend, eh? Good for Jon - he earned it. Surprised to see how well the LIV players performed. Between you, me & the fence post, regardless of controversy, I've never cared for Jay Monahan - he's always struck me as a rather contentious *****.
Old April 10th, 2023, 03:52 PM

Norm I'm speaking of crumbled blue cheese. I think the fallen pine at Augusta was the most exciting thing. To tell the truth I'm getting over Augusta and their haughty ways Regardless of what one chooses to do after a win their they should be able to play Player should get a tee time w/o a hassle IMO It was Arnie that made Augusta what it is NOT themselves
Old April 10th, 2023, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
They leave here after casting, go to Mexico for some work, and then get shipped back to us before the customer gets them.
Dan - That sounds like a seriously F'ed-up way to do business if you asked me? I know labor is cheap in Mexico, but come-on, shipping to/from and running the risk of this happening? Maybe management will rethink this whole process and keep the entire thing in-house, or at least domestic.
Old April 10th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Aah, spring time. Sunshine and nice warm weather, right? You’d think hanging out on the patio would be so comfortable and relaxing.

Just not at my house.