The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2021, 05:23 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
Norm...can I ask what your doing with all those bags of mortar mix?
Hi Ray - I was wondering where you've been. I'm erecting three brick & mortar columns (x2 CBUs/course/column interior containment) & setting one additional 4"x4" pre-treated timber between ea. column (maintain rigidity) to support a new ~30'L x 7'H fence I'm building. See Post #34632

Each column will be slightly narrower than the gate & gate columns I made a couple years ago. The gate spans 14'W (x2 cedar 7'H x7W swinging gates). I half-lapped every board in each swinging gate. The new fence will have either two or three support boards (vertical @ length) with no diagonal cross hatched boards.

The gate occurs at the end of my circular driveway where (you can see) some old beat-up concrete remains from the previous owners - I poured the new pads to accommodate the gate columns. The small mom & pop automotive service garage (next door) used to belong to the previous owners of my home for 40+ years where they raised a family of six. Some crack-head burned the old wooden service garage down ~17 years ago & what you see in the video is a new service garage building. Anyways, the new fence will match the gate but have slightly narrower columns.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 18th, 2021 at 05:27 AM.
Old May 18th, 2021, 05:38 AM

That explains all that mortar. That's a pretty ambitious project.you're taking on.
I went to the dark side and purchased a 68 Chevelle SS while hibernating in Florida the pass 5 months
I'm back in PA now and just finished installing rebuild water pump with all those stripped 1/4" bolts on my olds 88.
runs like a champ
Old May 18th, 2021, 05:47 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
That explains all that mortar. That's a pretty ambitious project.you're taking on. I went to the dark side and purchased a 68 Chevelle SS while hibernating in Florida the pass 5 months. I'm back in PA now and just finished installing rebuild water pump with all those stripped 1/4" bolts on my olds 88. runs like a champ
Agree, erecting columns is far more labor intensive than running courses along a wall. I don't plan to build these columns/fence work overnight. When I purchased my 1st car (1967 Olds 442) in 1969 one of my cousins purchased a 1968 Chevelle SS 396 a couple years later with the dark blue. I loved his SS, great car. Enjoy PA now that spring has finally arrived.
Old May 18th, 2021, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I love acronyms
James - Those damn acronyms are so common in Govt. jargon we often forget most folks don't even know what the common ones are.. They even publish an acronym dictionary. You may have just been busting our footballs, but here ya go anyway.

USSOCOM/JSOC - United States Special Operations Command / Joint Special Operations Command headquartered in Tampa, Florida.

USGS EROS Data Center - United States Geologic Survey, Earth Resources Observation and Science Data Center, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Old May 18th, 2021, 07:29 AM

My favorite is FUBAR a close second is SNAFU
Old May 18th, 2021, 08:32 AM
Running On Empty

Jamesbo - I believe we have a slime ball lurking about on the CO site.

I don't see Eric about. I believe we have a BOT FLY roaming the site. I sent a PM to Joe, also.
User appears to be a spam bot. He should most likely be banned immediately.
See my post >>> 72
Old May 18th, 2021, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jamesbo - I believe we have a slime ball lurking about on the CO site.

I don't see Eric about. I believe we have a BOT FLY roaming the site. I sent a PM to Joe, also.
User appears to be a spam bot. He should most likely be banned immediately.
See my post >>> 72
Norm - Thanks for your expertise and diligence in identifying and notifying all of us about these dirt bags and their shenanigans!
Old May 18th, 2021, 09:33 AM

Good morning guys,
Another wet one here, cool and raining steady right now. Yesterday I had mentioned that it seemed like it had been raining 50% of the time for the last month. I checked the StL weather stats yesterday, and my estimation was not an exaggeration. In April there was measurable rainfall on 15 of 30-days, and in May there's been measurable rainfall on 10 of 18-days so far! Today's the 4th day of rain in a row, and more forecast for tomorrow, Ugh! Since my wife's the woodworker, I've asked her to start the Ark!

No big plans for today, although it's the wife's birthday. She's celebrated out, but I'll offer to go out and get takeout so she doesn't feel like she needs to cook, she'll appreciate that. There's a local charity (animal rescue and placement) car show Saturday only about 12-miles from me I'm going to if the forecast holds. It will be a huge weather change if the forecast holds, the weatherman is projecting highs near 90 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 18th, 2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old May 18th, 2021, 09:36 AM

The mods must have removed the bot before I ever saw the post.
Old May 18th, 2021, 09:38 AM

Norm, Am I correct that Joe took care of it?
Old May 18th, 2021, 09:57 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, Am I correct that Joe took care of it?
Done. Joe banned the member.

I received the final installment of masonry materials. Time to begin marking off my concrete pad locations & begin digging. I enjoy working with my Dewalt stick laser - sure makes the job of location, level & plum much easier.
Old May 18th, 2021, 12:00 PM

Norm, Be sure to measure twice and saw once [ or in your case measure twice and dig once]]

I'm sure Norm doesn't really need this advice, He'll probably measure 3 times before digging
Old May 18th, 2021, 12:58 PM
Running On Empty

James - ROFLMAO
Old May 18th, 2021, 01:09 PM

Mike, Have you ever considered a LVT 2 Buffalo for your stable?

Old May 18th, 2021, 03:10 PM

Mike, Have you ever considered a LVT 2 Buffalo for your stable?
Sometime, I would just like to see a complete list of all the vehicles (running or not) in Mike's stable! Seems like I hear about a different one every month or so. When I heard he had 2 DUKW's, I thought I'd heard it all! Mike???
Old May 18th, 2021, 03:29 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Sometime, I would just like to see a complete list of all the vehicles (running or not) in Mike's stable! Seems like I hear about a different one every month or so. When I heard he had 2 DUKW's, I thought I'd heard it all! Mike???
This image of Mike was taken when he himself was surprised to find there were two DUKW vehicles stashed behind all his other vehicles.

Old May 18th, 2021, 03:47 PM

This image of Mike was taken when he himself was surprised to find there were two DUKW vehicles stashed behind all his other vehicles.

Norm - LMAO, you've opened the door, maybe Mike needs a new alias, AKA Shultzy!
Old May 18th, 2021, 04:46 PM
Always room for one more

Okay how funny are you guys.

Hi everyone.

Work was the same as yesterday, except the lead brought donuts. Got home and went to the shop. I'm finally finished with what I needed to do over there. Only took me 6 weeks.

Beautiful here again today, but it was cloudy for awhile and I got a few rain drops on the car when I was coming home from work. Hey if that's all we get, no problem.

Chris I hate to say it but there's no list. Sometimes when I mow I uncover one that I've forgotten about, and other times stuff gets piled up and hides one. I will say that I have multiples of some and a couple odd ones that one might not have heard of. Like a DAF. Jamesbo I kept saying I was going to get a Sherman, until I found out they are somewhere around a million. I'll stick to my Plymouth wrecks.

Norm I know your project will turn out with perfection. How long have you lived in that house?

Okay about time for bed. Tomorrow is Hump Day. If only. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old May 18th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I have resided in this home since March 2001 (20 yrs, 2 months). The home was built by a master boat builder in 1930.
Old May 18th, 2021, 04:57 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Recall the thread regarding gull wing vehicles and the one you saw but weren't certain of the exact vehicle. Any chance it may have been a DeLorean DMC-12? They're out there & affordable. However, most of them I recall were of two colors - gray or grey (LOL).

Old May 18th, 2021, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Okay how funny are you guys.

Chris I hate to say it but there's no list. Sometimes when I mow I uncover one that I've forgotten about, and other times stuff gets piled up and hides one. I will say that I have multiples of some and a couple odd ones that one might not have heard of. Like a DAF. Jamesbo I kept saying I was going to get a Sherman, until I found out they are somewhere around a million. I'll stick to my Plymouth wrecks.
Mike - Darn, I was hoping you might put a list together when you have time, even if it was just off the top of your head. The cars I have heard about are very interesting to me because my Dad had a Corvair and Valiant when I was a kid, plus you have at least one Amphicar, 2 DUKW's, very interesting vehicles! For example, I have no fricking clue what a DAF is, I'll have to look it up!
Old May 18th, 2021, 05:06 PM

Chris - Recall the thread regarding gull wing vehicles and the one you saw but weren't certain of the exact vehicle. Any chance it may have been a DeLorean DMC-12? They're out there & affordable. However, most of them I recall were of two colors - gray or grey (LOL).

No, couldn't have been a DeLorean, they're too distinctive, and too common. We have a couple that regularly show up at shows and cruise-ins in this area. I'm pretty sure my neighbor's car was a replica of that Porsche Formula 1 race car I posted the pics of. Not only did it look like that Porsche, it also sounded like a Formula 1 car.
Old May 18th, 2021, 05:22 PM
Running On Empty

DAF = Daffodil, made in the Nederlands. I've seen a fair number of them. I was an exchange student in Europe summer of 1969 & I saw a bunch of these interesting vehicles - I thought they were way cool. This is a 1963 Heinkel Trojan (below). I also saw a bunch of other interesting vehicles and motorcycles. I'll throw up one other interesting vehicle in another post.

Old May 18th, 2021, 05:29 PM

DAF = Daffodil, made in the Nederlands. I've seen a fair number of them. I was an exchange student in Europe summer of 1969 & I saw a bunch of these interesting vehicles - I thought they were way cool. This is a 1963 Heinkel Trojan (below). I also saw a bunch of other interesting vehicles and motorcycles. I'll throw up one other interesting vehicle in another post.

Norm - Just got off a site looking at the history of DAF. I see they were primarily focused on their "lorries". I have seen at least one example of the model above here in StL, man are they small!
Old May 18th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Running On Empty

There were many manufacturers of bicycle engines in the 1950s & 1960s. As an exchange student in Europe (1969) I saw thousands of bicycles with what everyone in the U.S.A. would call a "Vroom" motor; but, in Europe, they were standard daily modes of transportation (example below). They never really "caught-on" in the U.S.A. Most in the U.S.A. were made by Free Spirt & Tonaka but they never took off. I saw much smaller bicycle engines than the one depicted below - maybe 1/2 gallon maximum. And, many were of the type you could lift the engine directly off the front wheel and take it indoors with you.

Old May 18th, 2021, 05:46 PM

There were many manufacturers of bicycle engines in the 1950s & 1960s. As an exchange student in Europe (1969) I saw thousands of bicycles with what everyone in the U.S.A. would call a "Vroom" motor; but, in Europe, they were standard daily modes of transportation (example below). They never really "caught-on" in the U.S.A. Most in the U.S.A. were made by Free Spirt & Tonaka but they never took off. I saw much smaller bicycle engines than the one depicted below - maybe 1/2 gallon maximum. And, many were of the type you could lift the engine directly off the front wheel and take it indoors with you.

Pretty cool! Sure would be better than pedaling 10's of miles. I'm curious what their range was, and what their original cost was in today's $'s?
Old May 19th, 2021, 02:53 AM

When I was on the hunt for an Amphi, I found one at a fancy smacy Mercedes body shop near PDK airport. The guy had several of those front door things collecting dust. The jerk said, The car isn't leaving until it's paid for [ no inspection] so I said see ya

When I was in de Netherlands I drove the road in the book/movie " A Bridge too Far" I got a kick out of the old ladies riding bicycles around Amsterdam with their purse hanging from the handle bars. The hardest part [for me] was trying to walk in correct lane. Pedestrian, bike, cars, buss train lanes were on the major streets and I found myself walking in the bike lane often

Speaking of walking, I often found myself looking the wrong way 1st when trying to cross a street in England, Bermuda etc.

Walking an chewing gum at the same time has always troubled this cracker
Old May 19th, 2021, 03:56 AM
Running On Empty

There have been several occasions I saved myself from becoming road kill in various cities/towns in England while crossing a road. Habit says to look left then right, when instead you have to look right then left. Having downed several Boddington or John Smythe brews doesn't help in these situations & you find your quickly rethinking 'The Meaning Of Life'.
Driving a car in England isn't all that bad until you find yourself approaching a roundabout - they tend to make my head spin.
Old May 19th, 2021, 04:40 AM

Mike, Me thinks you military stable needs to become more international

I'm gonna Vote for a Tiger Tank

Old May 19th, 2021, 04:57 AM

I'm constantly amazed when I fiddle

phart around on line for 30 minutes
Old May 19th, 2021, 05:47 AM

Well guys I guess I am going to go to Indy for the big swap meet, I go back and forth, I will know for sure tomarrow when I leave, .. Or don't... It was gorgeous yesterday, really warm, we took a boat ride then truck ride, should have put the top down on Olds and rode in that. 👌 Wow just discovered what the smiley face on keyboard was. YUCK emojis, I won't be using them... Mike, what was it that you had to do with your cars? I missed it but then heard about you moving them, etc. I lived for over 35 years in the country and no one cared what anyone else did on thier property. I had 4 parts cars in the corner of a lot and they could be seen from the road, no one said anything. Now I live on a lake and wouldn't even consider have a parts car in my yard, but I could hide a whole junk yard on our property and no one would see unless in a airplane. But parts cars for anything I have a interest in are now long gone anyway.
Old May 19th, 2021, 06:23 AM

Driving a car in England isn't all that bad until you find yourself approaching a roundabout - they tend to make my head spin.
I don't enjoy navigating roundabouts here in the States, let alone driving in a foreign country on the opposite side of the road. Scary thought!
Old May 19th, 2021, 06:26 AM

Chris, You'd hate Milton Ga [ north Atlanta]. A few years ago GDOT decide they like the things and now they are everywhere .Sometime 3 or 4 in a 1/2 mile I get dizzy going around and around in this city
Old May 19th, 2021, 06:40 AM

Chris, You'd hate Milton Ga [ north Atlanta]. A few years ago GDOT decide they like the things and now they are everywhere .Sometime 3 or 4 in a 1/2 mile I get dizzy going around and around in this city
Yes, I'd hate that. Unfortunately, they seem to be putting more and more of them in around here too. I was on a stretch of busy road not too far back where every intersection was a roundabout. What I really hate is that if you are unfamiliar with the area, it is impossible to see and read the street signs because you're not stopping, or at least slowing down, where you need to turn. Roundabouts are not a better mousetrap, JMO! We don't have factory GPS in our daily driver, and I use a portable GARMIN unit when I'm going someplace I've never been before. I don't recall ever going around a roundabout when using the GARMIN, but it would be interesting to see how it reacts in those situations!
Old May 19th, 2021, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Well guys I guess I am going to go to Indy for the big swap meet, I go back and forth, I will know for sure tomarrow when I leave, .. Or don't...
Greg - If you end up going to Indy, take your summer clothes, you'll be stepping into the middle of a Michigan August. Looking at mid-80's in Indy Friday - Sunday, but at least it's suppossed to be sunny and dry. Safe travels if you end up going! I'm going to a small local show close to me on Saturday to benefit an animal rescue group.
Old May 19th, 2021, 08:12 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I don't enjoy navigating roundabouts here in the States, let alone driving in a foreign country on the opposite side of the road. Scary thought!
Remember when i was a kid , when we wisiting Norway we must remember to turn over to the right side at the border.
We had left side traffic in Sweden until 1967.
Old May 19th, 2021, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Remember when i was a kid , when we wisiting Norway we must remember to turn over to the right side at the border.
We had left side traffic in Sweden until 1967.
Glenn - That would be a difficult transition to make on the fly!
Old May 19th, 2021, 09:52 AM
Running On Empty

Even worse if 1/2 the roundabout was in Norway & 1/2 in Sweden!
Old May 19th, 2021, 09:56 AM

Even worse if 1/2 the roundabout was in Norway & 1/2 in Sweden!
LMAO
Off to cut and bale the yard!
Old May 19th, 2021, 01:13 PM

Speaking of walking, I often found myself looking the wrong way 1st when trying to cross a street in England, Bermuda etc.
In downtown Sydney there are "Look Right" signs painted on the road as you step off the curb. They musta lost a few tourists before someone came up with that idea.