The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2024, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
What was it we said in H.S.? More than a mouthful is a waste?
I prefer Anthony Michael Hall's line from Weird Science: "More than a mouthful and you're risking a sprained tongue."

Old February 14th, 2024, 01:44 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
I prefer Anthony Michael Hall's line from Weird Science: "More than a mouthful and you're risking a sprained tongue."
First time I've heard that. Although, I didn't see Weird Science. Is it any good?
Old February 14th, 2024, 02:42 PM

Nice card from the wife Chris. Don't forget to share the chocolates.
Old February 14th, 2024, 03:20 PM
Running On Empty

Nice ******* job at the parade KC!
Old February 14th, 2024, 06:02 PM

No kidding, Professor. Damn.
Old February 14th, 2024, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Nice card from the wife Chris. Don't forget to share the chocolates.
Thanks Dan, that gal has a huge heart. Don't know how I ever got so lucky! You're right about the chocolates, but she isn't having any of it.
Old February 14th, 2024, 06:50 PM

Nice ******* job at the parade KC!
Sorry, but this is not a KC problem, it is a National travesty! There were 800 Officers on the streets and on roof tops, and this could still not be prevented! "Today's mass shooting after the Chiefs Super Bowl parade and rally was the 49th mass shooting in the 45 days of 2024, the Gun Violence Archive said. The shootings have occurred in 19 states and Washington, D.C." Just my 2-cents!
Old February 14th, 2024, 07:28 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Sorry, but this is not a KC problem, it is a National travesty! There were 800 Officers on the streets and on roof tops, and this could still not be prevented! "Today's mass shooting after the Chiefs Super Bowl parade and rally was the 49th mass shooting in the 45 days of 2024, the Gun Violence Archive said. The shootings have occurred in 19 states and Washington, D.C." Just my 2-cents!
It occurred in KC...and, I'd say same anywhere it happened.
Old February 14th, 2024, 07:35 PM

Cops on roof tops? FBI and ATF on hand to assist with security Before the shooting ? Maybe I'm reading between the lines.

Last edited by stellar; February 14th, 2024 at 07:48 PM.
Old February 15th, 2024, 01:39 AM

Crying shame reminds me of black Sunday FWIW I was at Super BOWL X in Miami Didn't see a single flechette But I dId see at the airport a Gulfstream painted gold and a bunch of dudes wearing cowboy hats de plane

Last edited by Jamesbo; February 15th, 2024 at 02:31 AM.
Old February 15th, 2024, 04:50 AM
Bfg

It’s happening in AMERICA, that’s what happens when there is no law and order!
Old February 15th, 2024, 05:31 AM

I put an order in for the paint for the 55 truck.
2 gallons of paint and enough hardener for two gallons, no clear coat, they felt bad for me so gave me a shop discount. It was a tad over $1500.
So they don't have enough of one of the toners or dye or whatever it is called for paint, but now its all on order.

I asked about them mixing the two gallons together, and they said they will mix it in a 5 gallon can for me so there will be no discrepancies between the two gallons.

I have some wheels ordered for the 64 cutlass, and they think that they will ship in mid march, so I am pushing to get everything ready to try to crank the engine and have it running before then.
Dont tell on me but I am using a Chevelle wiring harness. The dash section really seems the biggest problem, but I just toned everything out and put new connectors on where needed.

Im using an electric fan controller, and a MSD box to run the coils. I got all of that wired in to the new harness as well. The fan controller has two programmable outputs, and Im just using one fan. I was planning on using output 2 to turn on my temp light. I didnt realize though the controller supplies a ground output not battery. I can use a little relay to supply the positive i need for the warning light, but Ill put that off for the future.

Need to pickup some 93 octane and then I can test the fuel system for leaks. Ive been dragging this car around for 20 plus years now, so If it runs it will be a big deal for me.

Anyhow spring is coming and i am ready for it..
Old February 15th, 2024, 10:03 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out. Much appreciated after 4+ inches of rain last week. The lake is returning to it's regular shade of brown, from the churned up mud shade of brown.

Off this week and next, using up vacation before March so I don't lose it. A friend is coming to stay for a few days and we're going to do car stuff.

So tell me if you think this is weird. I've been a member of The National Automobile Museum in Reno for 30 years. All this time I've gone out and volunteered to do whatever. Sounds dumb but I enjoy working with the cars and the other volunteers. I haven't been out there in a year or so because of my hip, so with these two weeks off I thought it would be the perfect time to go out. I emailed the curator but got a message back from the new curator saying the old guy had moved on, and he didn't have anything for me to do but would call if something came up. Obviously this guy doesn't know me from Adam, so I wrote back and told him I lived in Georgia, and that over the past 30 years I've come out when I could and spent a few days, doing odd things, and something about you don't turn down free help when you're a non-profit. I never heard back. He'd be the fourth curator since I've been a member, so I guess I'll have to wait him out.

Gonna spend the afternoon painting in a bedroom. I'm trying to repair a couple holes in the wall made by a previous dog, and not doing a good job. Not to mention I'll be painting a gross shade of lavender. I started out wanting something that matched "Dusk Pearl," a 57 Chevy color, but somehow it didn't translate to the color chips. I bought two gallons so guess what, the room is getting painted lavender. I'll leave it to the next owner to change.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.

Old February 15th, 2024, 10:10 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - The thing I think is weird, or peculiar, is the notion the new curator wouldn't respond with something like "....heck yes, I'll find something for you to do..." Nice you reached out to him as a volunteer....
Old February 15th, 2024, 10:33 AM

Mike - Agree with Norm 100%, who in the hell turns down free help? Good on you!
Old February 15th, 2024, 11:13 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - The thing I think is weird, or peculiar, is the notion the new curator wouldn't respond with something like "....heck yes, I'll find something for you to do..." Nice you reached out to him as a volunteer....
EDIT: Apparently the current curator is a female; therefore, I'm changing my text from him to her.
Old February 15th, 2024, 11:49 AM

Hi guys,
The flooring guys finished up yesterday afternoon. They did a great job overall, very professional and we are ecstatic about the way it looks! There are just a couple places where they got something up against the newly painted walls that will need touched up, but that's all I've got to bitch about.

The house is still trashed and in disarray, and it will take several days to get it put back together, but at least we have it back to ourselves with the flooring guys gone. My wife continues with her decorating plans. Here are some pics of more stuff that has already gone in, or will be.

New accent pic over mantle.

New rug in Kitchen dining area

New Great Room rug that will go under/around new sectional sofa

New Master bedroom rug that will go under/around bed

Hope ya'll are having a great day!
Old February 15th, 2024, 01:27 PM

Chris, the flooring looks nice. That tone or shade is what I have been considering for my floors. Hopefully I'll get it done before I retire. The pic of the flower is nice, reminds of an American artist from the southwest, Mexico I believe, but for the life of me I can't remember her name. I'll try a google search. Found it: Georgia O'Keefe. Got snow dumped on us by a fast moving system this morning. In the span of 10 minutes my yard was covered by an inch. Pulled onto the road shortly thereafter, and the largest snowflakes that I had ever seen were coming down, and I could hear them hitting the SUV. About 2" in size. It was predicted that we would see 5" in three hours, and I think that they were right. I figure at least 6" at my place as i still show 5" on the gauge, but it is 34° out there , so a little melting going on.My speed on the highway was 45-50 mph.

Last edited by 1969w3155; February 15th, 2024 at 01:34 PM.
Old February 15th, 2024, 01:46 PM

Holy smokes, do I actually see some stained and finished wood furniture in Chris's house in that last pic?

Speaking of which, I bought two old Ethan Allen end table / record cabinet things to house some records. One has arrived, it is in the garage. It needs minor repair from the ride to one door and one divider. The other one is on its way.
Old February 15th, 2024, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, the flooring looks nice. That tone or shade is what I have been considering for my floors. Hopefully I'll get it done before I retire. The pic of the flower is nice, reminds of an American artist from the southwest, Mexico I believe, but for the life of me I can't remember her name. I'll try a google search. Found it: Georgia O'Keefe.
Thanks Dan for the compliments on the flooring and painting. The brand is called Southwind and the style is Antique Pine, 9" wide planks. We love it so far.

Sounds like quite the snow, those are huge flakes! We're supposed to get some tomorrow after near 60° here today.
Old February 15th, 2024, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Holy smokes, do I actually see some stained and finished wood furniture in Chris's house in that last pic?
Yep, there will be plenty of natural wood/stained pieces left. The Kitchen dining table in the pic above is mainly natural wood with a light antique whitewash on the pedestal and legs. Pics below show other natural wood/stained pieces that are staying.

Old February 15th, 2024, 02:37 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I hope you're spending lots of money & enjoying every minute of it. That's why you worked your A$$ off, right?
Old February 15th, 2024, 03:09 PM

Chris looks GREAT
Old February 15th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I assume the curator is a man. The name on the email was Rod.

Strike Two. My friend who was coming for a visit said he has a dr appointment Monday, which would be right in the middle of our visit. So no strike three. I'm gonna stick around and do chores. I can always count on them. Maybe I'll do something for a day. Don't know what.

Just a beautiful day here, and more to come. The groundhog was finally right. I wonder if he got too many threats of barbequed groundhog.

Old February 15th, 2024, 03:50 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm I assume the curator is a man. The name on the email was Rod. Strike Two.
Mike - Honestly, I don't give a flip who it is & therefore I'm not interested in keeping a score. Maybe you could volunteer to update their website?
https://automuseum.org/about/#staff

Old February 15th, 2024, 04:11 PM
Running On Empty

I love solid wood furniture. If I consider the pricing of my furniture it either matches or exceeds the price of my home.
Old February 15th, 2024, 04:15 PM
Always room for one more

Strike two meant that my friend not showing up was the second set of plans I made that fell through. I just looked at the museum's website as well and I did see that the old curator(excuse me, collections manager) is still listed. Eh, above my pay grade. Which is zero because I'm a volunteer. Well, I thought I was.

Old February 15th, 2024, 04:20 PM
Running On Empty

Oh yeah, I know you were referencing your second set of plans falling through - maybe I worded wrong. Kinda/Sorta annoys me when a volunteer reaches out to work for free (regardless if they do or do not have a vagina [I could give a flip]) the person you reach out to isn't willing to accommodate a request for free work.
Old February 15th, 2024, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by mattking
I put an order in for the paint for the 55 truck.
2 gallons of paint and enough hardener for two gallons, no clear coat, they felt bad for me so gave me a shop discount. It was a tad over $1500.
So they don't have enough of one of the toners or dye or whatever it is called for paint, but now its all on order.

I asked about them mixing the two gallons together, and they said they will mix it in a 5 gallon can for me so there will be no discrepancies between the two gallons.

I have some wheels ordered for the 64 cutlass, and they think that they will ship in mid march, so I am pushing to get everything ready to try to crank the engine and have it running before then.
Dont tell on me but I am using a Chevelle wiring harness. The dash section really seems the biggest problem, but I just toned everything out and put new connectors on where needed.

Im using an electric fan controller, and a MSD box to run the coils. I got all of that wired in to the new harness as well. The fan controller has two programmable outputs, and Im just using one fan. I was planning on using output 2 to turn on my temp light. I didnt realize though the controller supplies a ground output not battery. I can use a little relay to supply the positive i need for the warning light, but Ill put that off for the future.

Need to pickup some 93 octane and then I can test the fuel system for leaks. Ive been dragging this car around for 20 plus years now, so If it runs it will be a big deal for me.

Anyhow spring is coming and i am ready for it..
I'm in your corner. Rounding 3rd heading for homeplate... An Inspiration on a few levels for sure. Don't forget to cross your fingers, eyes, and toes before you hit the switch... Keep keep'n on.
A sweet rig is worth the extra efforts

Last edited by otto72; February 15th, 2024 at 04:47 PM.
Old February 15th, 2024, 05:00 PM

EDIT: Apparently the current curator is a female; therefore, I'm changing my text from him to her.
Old February 15th, 2024, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

So tell me if you think this is weird. I've been a member of The National Automobile Museum in Reno for 30 years. All this time I've gone out and volunteered to do whatever. Sounds dumb but I enjoy working with the cars and the other volunteers. I haven't been out there in a year or so because of my hip, so with these two weeks off I thought it would be the perfect time to go out. I emailed the curator but got a message back from the new curator saying the old guy had moved on, and he didn't have anything for me to do but would call if something came up. Obviously this guy doesn't know me from Adam, so I wrote back and told him I lived in Georgia, and that over the past 30 years I've come out when I could and spent a few days, doing odd things, and something about you don't turn down free help when you're a non-profit. I never heard back. He'd be the fourth curator since I've been a member, so I guess I'll have to wait him out.

Hanlons razor: never attribute to malice that which can be explained by neglect, ignorance, or incompetence.
Old February 15th, 2024, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris looks GREAT
X2

Sounds like expectations are met. Nice1
Old February 15th, 2024, 05:17 PM

Hanlons razor: never attribute to malice that which can be explained by neglect, ignorance, or incompetence.
Yes, Interesting thought prospective. Not worth our negative energy, Not worthy wasting that energy if not mutually respected for each others efforts. 2nd time I ran across this social dilemma this week
Old February 15th, 2024, 05:21 PM

Chris - I hope you're spending lots of money & enjoying every minute of it. That's why you worked your A$$ off, right?
Norm - Certainly spending lots if $'s, that's a fact. As for enjoyment, my wife's getting to finally make the house her own, and that makes me happy. However, to be completely honest, her vision is not exactly mine. Since I was here before she was in the picture, the house was decorated and furnished mainly with heirlooms I got from my Mom, and used to be in the home I grew up in. It's not easy for me to put some of those aside, one because I like natural stained furniture, many of which are valuable antiques, and two that there is considerable sentimental value attached to them. I am trying to get my girls to take as many pieces as I can pawn off on them to keep them in the family, but neither one of them really care for antique furniture. In the end I may end up selling several pieces, at least it will recoup some of the cost of the remodeling.
Old February 15th, 2024, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris looks GREAT
Thanks Jim, much appreciated buddy. I plan on posting a complete portfolio when everything is done, done and the house is back in order.
Old February 15th, 2024, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
X2

Sounds like expectations are met. Nice1
Thanks Keith, much appreciated. We really are very, very happy with the floor. I would recommend the company to anyone!
Old February 15th, 2024, 05:44 PM

What’s all this talk about snow? 80 degrees means winter is over.

Old February 15th, 2024, 06:07 PM

I'd forgotten about that one. I know Occam's and Pol's.
Old February 16th, 2024, 07:37 AM

Good morning guys,

Some really crappy weather here this morning. Sleeting right now, snow later as the temp is supposed to continue to drop all day.

Grandson Gabe has a bridging ceremony from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts tomorrow morning that we're attending. Then he has a hockey game in the afternoon I'm going to. Gabe's Mom was his "Pack Leader" for 5-years in Cub Scouts. She achieved the Girl Scout Gold Award, the equivalent of Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old February 16th, 2024, 11:29 AM

I said it was coming . . . It's here!