The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2023, 06:15 AM
Running On Empty

OK. We're on the same page in terms of measurement(s). If it were liters, and many do display in liters, you'd be looking at ~4 liters/gallon.
Old December 7th, 2023, 06:18 AM

Tanks Norm that is what I was also planning on. I was just curious as to over loading at very slow speeds
Old December 7th, 2023, 06:20 AM
Running On Empty

I need to shut off the breaker for the oven/range overhead blower/fan/light assembly to troubleshoot the LH bulb which went Tango Uniform last night. The metal tip (electrical contact) on the bulb is charred black, replacement bulb doesn't illuminate. Time for some diagnostics.
Old December 7th, 2023, 06:29 AM
Running On Empty

My pull-behind landscaping trailer has a 1.25" diameter axle, but I never drag around a known quantity of water. Only interesting is the notion I recently replaced with new tires & tubes for this trailer last month & removed the axle, cleaned it, greased everything and reassembled. At any rate, I think you'd first notice an "issue" when you begin to see your tires collapse under an overweight/oversized condition since I suspect if the tires are appropriate for the size of the axle (gross dead weight) the tires should be bearing most of the weight (I would think). You may most likely blow out your tires before the axle collapses? MythBusters experiment?
Old December 7th, 2023, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I need to shut off the breaker for the oven/range overhead blower/fan/light assembly to troubleshoot the LH bulb which went Tango Uniform last night. The metal tip (electrical contact) on the bulb is charred black, replacement bulb doesn't illuminate. Time for some diagnostics.
Good luck on the diagnostics and R&R.
Old December 7th, 2023, 06:48 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good luck on the diagnostics and R&R.
Thanks. Still sitting in front of the monitor watching young women playing golf...this may take awhile.
Old December 7th, 2023, 07:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Chilly out this morning. I need to get some cardboard or something to set on the pickup's windshield at night to keep the frost from forming, thus making me get out the scraper. Or maybe I should build a garage that he can park in.

So there's this car I want to go look at in Buford. It's been for sale for weeks. It's on marketplace and I figured out I can look at that on Mom's phone and contact the people. So I've been emailing a couple times with this guy and asked him for a picture of the inside of the muffler. Just kidding Jamesbo. I wanted a picture of the data plate and he said I'll get it as soon as I can. He said it needs brakes so I asked what will that involve ie is there a leak, are the shoes worn, etc. His answer? I have the title, too. That was Monday. No wonder he can't sell his car. Maybe he really doesn't want to.

Jamesbo is this an otherwise nice trailer? You could go about your business and when the axle breaks upgrade it. And by the way, the answer to do you want a free trailer is yes. If he asked me I'd say yes before he finished the question.

Almost decent start to work. My wall guy actually started work before 630 this morning. He's slow as molasses but hey we can't have everything. No mention of working Saturday so I'll have a real weekend.

Okay it got real quiet in here all of a sudden. Good time to get out before the lead comes over and starts yammering.

Have a good day everyone.

Old December 7th, 2023, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
28 degrees TOO cold for this cracker
Already up to 50°F at 1000 here, sunny with a projected high around 63F. Just a really pretty day for wintertime. Wish we could have 3 more months of this!
Old December 7th, 2023, 08:18 AM
Running On Empty

Win, win on the oven/range overhead/fan/light assembly. Buildup of soot + moisture blackened/corroded the lamp contact element. After removal of the stainless covering which holds the filters & bulbs everything got a cleaning. Life is good.
Old December 7th, 2023, 08:35 AM

Good deal Norm, glad it was an easy fix!
Old December 7th, 2023, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Already up to 50°F at 1000 here, sunny with a projected high around 63F. Just a really pretty day for wintertime. Wish we could have 3 more months of this!
Tomorrow should be good, too. I may run FOUR cars, but the 442 takes an act of Congress to move.
Old December 7th, 2023, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Tomorrow should be good, too. I may run FOUR cars, but the 442 takes an act of Congress to move.
Yep, from what I'm seeing, about the same tomorrow, and then starting a cool down on Saturday here. Good luck with your plans, hope all goes well!
Old December 7th, 2023, 09:01 AM

Got chewed out in this monthly 1 on 1 (which had 2 managers vs me, so much for 1 on 1) yesterday for tone. I'm like, you're gigging me on three interactions over 9 months for TONE, because you value respect for people, but corporate doesn't even treat me like a person? How does that figure? So I told them I wanted out, maybe we can do an early retirement.

What's interesting is that engineers get individual reviews and pay packages, so there's a range. I'm near the bottom since I speak truth to power, and the Irish midget with bad teeth that runs our division and keeps getting executive promotions doesn't like my handsome, 6'4" English and Southern self, plus I made him look bad once. However, the guys who work the line get paid the same [X] and the maintenance guys get paid the same, but a little more, like [X+$3/hr]. Team leaders get an additional premium, like another $2/hr, and night shift / swing shift / weekend shift guys get a premium for that.

The reason this matters is inflation is running rampant, and the Teamsters got big things from UPS. The UAW is pressed for big wins, and have gotten some. My plant's guys are saying, hey, let's get some of that, so they're pressing to unionize, and my plant is scared. They just handed out around $3/hr raise to the line and maintenance to mollify them and made the president retire and promoted a VP. What's interesting is that that raise just made the swing shift maint team leaders catch me in pay. If they do it again here in the spring, all maint guys may catch me, and, at that time, I will go be a maint guy for more pay and much less responsibility. Plus, no more performance reviews.
Old December 7th, 2023, 09:38 AM

What's interesting is that that raise just made the swing shift maint team leaders catch me in pay. If they do it again here in the spring, all maint guys may catch me, and, at that time, I will go be a maint guy for more pay and much less responsibility. Plus, no more performance reviews.
John - That pretty much sucks! I hope you can find an amenable solution that allows you to put in the rest of your time until you reach full retirement without any penalties. I know my last 2-years were a living hell working for bosses that didn't know squat, and it was all I could do to hang on until they offered us an early out package.
Old December 7th, 2023, 11:54 AM

December 7th. There's a nip in the air
Old December 7th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jamesbo
december 7th. There's a nip in the air
<<<was>>>
Old December 7th, 2023, 01:21 PM
Running On Empty

Some idiot w/ a two axle box trailer (overweight, of course) stopped off the pavement on the other side of the road from me. I see him trying to leverage, kick, pound off the left front tire & wheel of the trailer. I walked across the street to ask him if he'd like to borrow my 3-ton floor jack & about the time I arrived he managed to remove the tire/wheel. Says he's going to try to make it home (~20 miles). Of course, the idiot had no spare tire/wheel - typical idiot low-life cheap-*** contractor - no apologies, that's what he is. So, he spends another five minutes putting the lug nuts on the hub studs - why, I have no F'ing clue - says he doesn't want to lose them. WTF!! Put them in your F'ing pocket. He pulls away with the leaf spring dragging on the ground and heads down the road. People are F'ing idiots.
Old December 7th, 2023, 01:23 PM

<<<was>>>
both
Old December 7th, 2023, 02:50 PM
Always room for one more

Because, Norm, it's better to drag the spring and axle along the ground digging into the pavement and making sparks, than it is to drive on a flat. Having a spare is a ridiculous idea.

Old December 7th, 2023, 03:08 PM
Running On Empty

The tire which blew out was completely bald, completely rounded & down to the cords.
Old December 7th, 2023, 05:45 PM

Mike Mike Mike

Dont know if you follow Uncle Tony Garage You Tube.

If so sorry for the redundancy

If not you may get a kick out of his more recent uploads.

Old December 7th, 2023, 05:56 PM

<<<was>>>
Thought about that many times throughout the day. My 97 year old favorite Uncle in the world passed earlier this year. China India Burma Vet. Bless all

Last edited by otto72; December 8th, 2023 at 02:38 AM.
Old December 7th, 2023, 06:38 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - I’ve watched many of Tony’s videos. Ever see a picture of Joe P? Tony could damn near be Joe’s twin.
Old December 8th, 2023, 02:39 AM

Keith - I’ve watched many of Tony’s videos. Ever see a picture of Joe P? Tony could damn near be Joe’s twin.
I like his uploads. Pretty practical dude
Old December 8th, 2023, 02:43 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Boy since I've been getting up 15 minutes earlier I've been getting to work something like a half hour earlier. How does that work? It usually nets me better parking and I get into the shop before someone else tries to sit at my desk. Today there was no overtime so it's nice and quiet in here for a change.

Keith I'm not an Uncle Tony fan but I have watched him a little. There's a group on the A Body Chrysler forum who hates him and will not pass up an opportunity to bad mouth him. I started your video and what did I see but my favorite Chrysler, a 1968 Plymouth Valiant.

I don't expect a lot from work today. I'm not a betting man, but if I were I'd say my wall guy is going to be extra lame today, the lead won't be here, and we'll be here till the end this afternoon.

Okay let me go get something to drink and get things going. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old December 8th, 2023, 06:20 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I probably missed this a long time ago. Can you tell me exactly what the wall guy does in your shop?
Old December 8th, 2023, 07:24 AM
Always room for one more

The wall guy puts the bearings into the wheel assembly after it comes off the robot. He also does a leak check and writes down serial numbers and part numbers for me for the tire so I don't have to get up and look.

There are 8 tire cages lined up and they are "the wall." The wheel assembly comes off the robot and goes into a cage to be aired up. Aired up with nitrogen actually. When that's done the wall guy puts in the bearings and I sign it off and away it goes.

So, I'm 0 for 2 this morning. The lead is here, and my wall guy is not extra lame, because he can't get any more lame. What was the third thing? Who knows. It's still a little quiet in here.

Old December 8th, 2023, 07:31 AM
Running On Empty

Gotcha, thanks. I’ve been inside a tire & wheel shop numerous times during my stints w/ USAF. I imagined they were the cages. Wasn’t exactly sure of the dynamics which occurs during the process of getting a wheel/tire into & out of a cage. That helps. Are nose wheel cages same size as main wheel cages-IOW, you can use same cage for both?
Old December 8th, 2023, 10:13 AM
Always room for one more

All the wheels go into the same cages. They are about 5 feet tall by 3 feet wide. Open on both ends, heavy plate steel lining the inside. There are 8 of them lined up. I am not the safety officer, but my guess would be they are a compromise between safety and production.

Looks like I'll be right with my third prediction. We're going to stay till the end. We are not where we should be to be able to leave early, and it seems most of the staff is uninterested in doing anything about it. A couple of the mechanics have been complaining about the lack of work being done. These guys just don't have a sense of urgency. They need to go out on the line and work on something with a ready time. And then when they don't make it, go up and see just how it affects the passengers.

I'm debating whether or not I want to put a wanted ad on the Chrysler A Bodies forum for a V8 Valiant. That draws out the opportunists who might have one, sure I'll sell it [for 3x what it's worth. Hey you asked] and then talk my way out of it because the guy is on crack.

Old December 8th, 2023, 01:18 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Glad I got the 4-4-2 out yesterday to give it a little exercise. After starting it and pulling it into the driveway I noticed a small puddle of antifreeze on the garage floor. It had been slowly leaking from the radiator exit hose connection. Just tightened the clamp and all was fine. Maybe lost only a 1/4 to a 1/3-cup of fluid. After I got that taken care of I drove it around the neighborhood 3-times with no issues. Did the same thing with both motorcycles without issue.

Caught these pictures of the sunset yesterday evening. I thought it was the prettiest sunset I've seen in a long time and worth sharing.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old December 8th, 2023, 02:16 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Nice colors in the images.
Old December 8th, 2023, 02:25 PM

Thanks Norm!
Old December 8th, 2023, 04:09 PM
Always room for one more

Well I was more than right on the leaving late. The lead didn't come to dismiss us until right at 230, which means we left after 230. That was our punishment for not finishing. Then, the lead gives us a good dressing down because the people were just sitting around all day and not working. He acted like he was surprised we didn't finish. Even though he can track on his computer our progress. And he didn't come up to the front all day to see how we were doing. He must think we are stupid. Eh, I don't care. He ain't fooling me.

Was really nice when we left. Sunny and fairly warm. Got a little tinkering done in the yard while I had laundry going when I got home. Lots of chores to do this weekend, every time the weather comes out it's different than the time before.

Jamesbo are you still looking for a Blazer? How long has the search been going?

Time for MASH. I get to watch Green Acres and Hogan's Heros tonight. And sleep in tomorrow. Good for me. Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 8th, 2023, 04:11 PM

I only drove one car today. Took the H/O for a loop and parked it. The gas gauge was on 1/8 the whole time. I started pouring gas in it to refill. I figured, tank holds about 17.5, I should be able to pack 15.3 in there. So I did. I was also able to get up to 17 in there before I ran out of gas in cans. I had 200 miles on it since last fill up. At its normal 12 mpg, that's 16.6. I booted it a few times; this really affects mileage. I may try to dodge rain tomorrow, run other cars, then go get some gas in cans and see what really full on the H/O is.

I mainly care what 1/8 means on it. It is a bad setup, it remains full on the gauge till half empty, then dives to the floor. I was hoping E meant E and that would be enough. But, 1/8 may mean E. We'll see.
Old December 8th, 2023, 04:38 PM

At its normal 12 mpg, that's 16.6. I booted it a few times; this really affects mileage. I may try to dodge rain tomorrow, run other cars, then go get some gas in cans and see what really full on the H/O is.

I mainly care what 1/8 means on it. It is a bad setup, it remains full on the gauge till half empty, then dives to the floor. I was hoping E meant E and that would be enough. But, 1/8 may mean E. We'll see.
I've only checked the mileage on mine two times, both times starting with full tanks and going down to near empty. Mild driving both times. Got 11.5 mpg each time.

I have noticed that I get many more miles between Full and half a tank, than between a half and Empty. Does seem like there's at least a couple gallons left in it when the needle is almost on Empty.
Old December 8th, 2023, 05:45 PM
Running On Empty

Spanked the little white round ball w/ 388 dimples pretty well today. Weather was nice ~62°F. Tee time same tomorrow (11:50AM) w/ temperature ~72°F & mild, 7mph - 8mph winds.
Old December 8th, 2023, 05:57 PM

Spanked the little white round ball w/ 388 dimples pretty well today. Weather was nice ~62°F. Tee time same tomorrow (11:50AM) w/ temperature ~72°F & mild, 7mph - 8mph winds.
Sounds like you're enjoying some nice weather and enjoying yourself, good for you! 👍
Old December 8th, 2023, 06:41 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. For some reason I feel like I'm in my element while playing golf - relaxing, enjoyable & rewarding.
Old December 8th, 2023, 07:06 PM

Chris - Thanks. For some reason I feel like I'm in my element while playing golf - relaxing, enjoyable & rewarding.
I completely understand that. I always enjoyed myself immensely when I played regularly. I think this coming summer I'm going to make a promise to myself to start playing some again. My neighbor directly across the street, super nice guy, keeps trying to get me to go with him. Come springtime I'm hitting the driving range, I need another hobby!
Old December 9th, 2023, 11:37 AM

Chris, beautiful pic MIKE yes, I'm Still looking for a K 5 but I'm losing any hope of finding a sane owner.