The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2023, 06:09 PM

Dan and Norm - Thanks for the congrats on the win, very much appreciated! 😀 I can hardly believe the season is almost over. There's the possibility for 3 more events this year. If I make it to all 3, I will break my record of 34 last season by 1.
Old October 23rd, 2023, 06:14 AM

I'm pay for a security at the Lake [ Mountain patrol] Every time they hire someone one ne, they come and knock on my door. They never say it but I know for sure, They think because I drive an old POS truck, they think Im robbing my house.
Old October 23rd, 2023, 10:08 AM

Taught a 2 day Appleseed class this weekend at the rifle range. Very good first day on the 25 meter with mostly rimfires. We then went to known distance on the 500 yard line the second day. This was good because we had not done a 2 day KD event in years. We also figured out how to get targets up at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards simultaneously and visible all at the same time. This helped us to not have to move targets other than once, when we took the 300 yard targets out to 500 yards. Had two guys of the 6 make known distance rifleman qualifier, so that was good.

We have recently adopted an exercise called Morgan's Shingle, after Captain Daniel Morgan, who recruited riflemen. Morgan recruited people in 1775, by asking any man who wanted in who had a sporting rifle (as opposed to a musket) to have one shot at 250 yards at a cedar shake shingle. Cold bore, one shot. In or out. So, we have a target the size of a shingle, we post it at 250 yards, and people get one shot first thing. This is approximately 7.5 inches wide by 10 inches tall. You can shoot it prone, or standing. Standing is much harder, as one would think. I tried standing last year and missed as my sights on my chosen rifle were off and the scope needed adjustment. I planned to just lob a .22 at it this year, aiming 2 feet high, but another instructor had a nice dialed in AR-15 and handed me it. Instructors shot first, the 4 that shot were 3 people prone, and I decided to go big or go home and try standing again. I took the longest to shoot, then I shot and thought I missed left. Turned out, my sights were breaking left, but had not yet left the building, so I got the shot. The students shot next, and 1 of the 6 made it from prone.

I got another spiffy patch for my shoot jacket and get a gold star device for it from doing it from standing. The Appleseed curricula calls for 4 minute of angle accuracy from prone, which means you should be able to, using field loop sling shooting on a service, rack grade rifle, hit something 10 inches square at 250 yards. (A minute of angle is 1.047 inches at 100 yards, 4 at 250 is 4x2.5=10 inches wide and tall). The shingle is 7.5x10, which means it's 3 x 4 MOA big at that range. The neat thing about the challenge is that, if you're squared away, you SHOULD be able to hit it prone, but, doing it standing is just being a pimp, as our standing MOA expected is 20, as in hit a 20 inch target at 100 yards, since it is unstable. So, I gambled, but am now a pimp. As the Brits say, he who dares, wins. I got lucky.

Old October 23rd, 2023, 10:13 AM

This is a 500 yard pit firing line being used differently. 100 yard targets to the right, then 2, 3, and 400 to the left. Helped us to not move targets when changing stages.

Old October 23rd, 2023, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
This is a 500 yard pit firing line being used differently. 100 yard targets to the right, then 2, 3, and 400 to the left. Helped us to not move targets when changing stages.

John - That all sounds like a fun way to spend a weekend! Congrats on the 250-yd challenge, quite an accomplishment standing! I'd like to try that with my with Remington BDL 7mm Rem Mag. Last time it was sighted in it was purposely sighted in 3" high at 100-yds, which is about an inch high at 200, and about 2 and a half low at 250. Of course I'd try it prone, I sure wouldn't want to be accused of being a Shooting Pimp!
Old October 23rd, 2023, 06:18 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a nice time in Alabama. We didn't do too much, didn't see the dog very much, ate a lot, watched a lot of TV. I'd call the weekend a success. Got home this afternoon then went to the Summit cruise in.

My neighbor came up just as I was getting home and told me another neighbor of ours was killed in a car accident earlier today. He pulled out right in front of a tanker truck. He's old and has bad eyes, probably never saw it coming or knew what hit him. That's a shame. Heck of a nice guy.

So the company, in its infinite wisdom, wants me to go back to work Friday. I told my doctor my leave was approved through the 27th, and he put on my letter I could go back to work on the 27th. Now the company says I'm only approved through the 26th because the way the letter reads I won't be disabled on the 27th. I said, that's absurd and you need to change it. Nope, so I called my lead to tell him I'd be in on Friday. He thinks that's dumb.

So, speaking of Summit, one Oldsmobile. A triple yellow 67 442 convertible. Beautiful car, but man that yellow is ugly! I know a lot of people like it. More power to them.

Okay. Gonna hit the sack soon and figure out a plan for the rest of the (shortened) week. Have a good evening everyone.

Jamesbo I'll check on your rim tomorrow. They weren't where I thought they'd be.

Old October 23rd, 2023, 06:28 PM
Running On Empty

My Dad used to take me to the National Guard Armory where he enrolled me in the NRA Marksmanship (Rifle Rimfire) Program. Each week we'd head to the Armory for training. I used to love the smell as soon as the training room door opened. I went through the beginning levels and intermediate levels through Expert. About that time cars & girls became the top priorities. When we started hunting I got a hunting vest & jacket. Mom sewed my NRA patches on the jacket for me.
Old October 23rd, 2023, 06:31 PM

Mike - So sorry to hear about the loss of your neighbor, thats horrible! Glad you had a nice time in Alabama with your friend.
Old October 23rd, 2023, 06:40 PM
Running On Empty

My friend from Florida, now returning to Florida after visiting his friends in New Jersey the past 11 days, is arriving at my place tomorrow late afternoon. I think he (John) will stay for several days if not longer. I put a 3 lb CAB (Certified Angus Beef) Premium Top Round (London Broil) in the slow cooker ~30 minutes ago seasoned w/ olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire, oregano, marjoram, thyme, basil & rosemary. It will slow cook the next 10-12 hours. I cut up a large rutabaga & a couple of russet potatoes, they're in the refrigerator. I'll add those to the slow cooker about noon tomorrow. I bought an Edwards Key Lime Pie for some dessert. Picked up a couple thick Port Loin Chops for breakfast over the next several days.
Old October 24th, 2023, 02:51 AM

Mike, I have the same problem [things aren't where I thought they are] I found a rim I thought it was at the lake but it was in the spare wheel /rim pile at the farm Tanks fer the help anywho. Well dis mawnin the Vista is headed to DFW. I hope the new owner loves it

Last edited by Jamesbo; October 24th, 2023 at 03:00 AM.
Old October 24th, 2023, 02:57 AM
Running On Empty

Check must have cleared, I guess.
Old October 24th, 2023, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Check must have cleared, I guess.
Wire transfer
Old October 24th, 2023, 06:26 AM

Norm - Sounds like a helluva good meal you're cooking up for your buddy this evening, hope you have a nice visit.
Old October 24th, 2023, 06:41 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Wire transfer
I like those - have used it on many big ticket items.
Old October 24th, 2023, 06:42 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Sounds like a helluva good meal you're cooking up for your buddy this evening, hope you have a nice visit.
It smells Gawd Awful in the house...
Old October 24th, 2023, 07:03 AM

It smells Gawd Awful in the house...
Man I love the smell of Pot Roast simmering, the only thing that could make it any better is Momma throwing some homemade yeast rolls in to bake while it's cooking!
Old October 24th, 2023, 07:19 AM

I have purchased cars with cashier's check, cash, and a personal check. My H/O was personal check, but it was to a dealer, so they were ok.

My ideal purchase would be take the gentleman to his bank, do the wire transfer, sign the title there, shake hands. Take him home, leave with car.
Old October 24th, 2023, 07:53 AM

Old October 24th, 2023, 09:19 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jamesbo is that the new owner or the truck driver that's delivering it? I've been on both sides of that coin, having the car delivered and having the car leaving. Always a happy day.

Lollygagged around this morning and got to the Awful house for brunch. They really need to have champaign between 11 and 1230. First time Tiger was with me in weeks.

The previous guy at my house worked on cars, Honda's mostly, and left behind a 70s type Civic and the same in a parts car. I have no interest, but the guy that came to work on my mowers, his son loved them. So we worked out a trade the mowers for the cars. They are coming to get them on Thursday, so today I'm gonna try to pull them out to be a little more accessible. These cars I'm assuming he worked on and then never got paid, so they sat. They've been there since I've been going to my shop, and that's 2014. I'll be glad to be rid of them. The broken, falling in structure that they're under I want to tear down.

Beautiful day here, hope everyone is enjoying the same.

Old October 24th, 2023, 09:25 AM

Off it goes.....
Old October 24th, 2023, 09:47 AM

Mike, that's the new owners driver very nice guy BTW do you have any sixteen inch trim rings for a 2500 chevy truck in your stash

Last edited by Jamesbo; October 24th, 2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old October 24th, 2023, 10:08 AM
Always room for one more

No trim rings. The steelies I have were full wheel cover option.
Old October 24th, 2023, 08:29 PM

Norm - Thought you might get a kick out of this. I was winterizing my bikes today. I took each out to the nearest gas station and filled them up with the appropriate amount of Stabil 360 added. I was taking the Indian out 2nd, and I hit the starter and it fired right up, but then the red battery icon on the dash started flashing. I rolled the dice and went on to the gas station and filled it up. Upon restart at the gas station, to my joy, it started right up again and I got home fine, despite the battery icon still flashing. I assumed the flashing battery icon meant my battery was getting weak, but confirmed it in the Owners Manual. I was none too pleased because the battery is only 2-years old, a high dollar Yuasa I had just installed in October of 2021. Then I got on an Indian forum and found a thread about troubleshooting the flashing battery icon. A couple of guys mentioned to check the battery in the key fob before assuming your bike battery is getting weak, and they gave the fob battery part number, which is a 2032 nickel cadmium disc. Well, my wife being the pack rat she is, just happened to have an extra one and I swapped it out. I'll be damned if that didn't do the trick, no more flashing battery icon on the dash! Of course there was no mention of that scenario in the Owner's Manual!
Old October 24th, 2023, 08:35 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I'm sorry but that just doesn't make any sense to me. WTF?
Old October 24th, 2023, 08:57 PM

Chris - I'm sorry but that just doesn't make any sense to me. WTF?
I know, who'd a thunk? Of course the bike won't start at all using the starter fob if the fob battery is too weak. There is a manual override procedure of the starter fob if you know the procedure and the code, which fortunately I do. All the guys on the forum could figure is the ECU was programmed to detect both a weak bike battery and a weak fob battery, but no mention in the Owner's Manual of the weak fob battery possibly triggering the warning icon on the dash.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 24th, 2023 at 09:00 PM.
Old October 24th, 2023, 08:59 PM
Running On Empty

I was aware of the fob override.
Old October 24th, 2023, 09:05 PM
Running On Empty

All the guys on the forum could figure is the ECU was programmed to detect both a weak bike battery and a weak fob battery, but no mention in the Owner's Manual of the weak fob battery possibly triggering the warning icon on the dash.
Do you have the latest ECU program update? They generally issue one every year (minimum) and many times more often.
Old October 24th, 2023, 09:06 PM

I was aware of the fob override.
I was not sure if your bike would have a fob or not because of it's age. I guess it does.
Old October 24th, 2023, 09:09 PM
Running On Empty

I was not sure if your bike would have a fob or not because of it's age. I guess it does.
I do not have a fob. I have ridden most of the PII Indian motorcycles. A friend was service mgr for Indian Charlotte. I'm on several Indian forums, as well. The fob override was discussed often the first year it was released.
Old October 24th, 2023, 09:11 PM

Do you have the latest ECU program update? They generally issue one every year (minimum) and many times more often.
Honestly, I have not received a notice of an update for the 2016 Chieftains in a couple of years now. I should check on that. Thanks for bringing that up!
Old October 24th, 2023, 09:19 PM
Running On Empty

Honestly, I have not received a notice of an update for the 2016 Chieftains in a couple of years now. I should check on that. Thanks for bringing that up!
It's referred to as a BCM (Body Control Module) on my bike. I'm not 100% on what criteria is used when a BCM/ECU update notification is required to be sent to owners. Often times owners don't find out unless their bike is in an Indian Motorcycle dealership to be serviced at which time the service personnel are "supposed" to ensure the bike has the latest updates.
Old October 25th, 2023, 03:58 AM

--Oh Man!! I haven't thought of motorcycles, but of course they also are too complicated as our cars are now a days!! So can you use your key fob and start your bike from a distance?? My 2019 GMC Acadia is in the shop today. A few weeks ago wife was driving and message came up on dash "Attention Required. Reduced power steering assist" or similar. Later I looked at dash and along with that message, temp gauge was all the way at cold. It stayed that way with a couple starts and stops. Finally the message didn't reoccur and the gauge went to normal mid range. I went on line and punched in the attentions message and found that the message comes on if thermostat fails !! Why? Explanation was, if thermostat malfunctions engine could overheat. Since electric power steering gismo is near engine, it could get too hot and oil in it could overheat causing a failure!! Thus PS message!! So I looked on Youtube about replacing Tstat and it is a big job- removing intake manifold, etc. (Jeez! how hard is it to replace one on our Olds' or any car of those times??) Anyway called dealership and they are going to do the tstat for free cuz car is covered until 100,000 mile powertrain warrantee.
-- Went for a short boat ride yesterday- How Nice!! Warm autumn sun and beautiful autumn colors! I'm think boat may come out this weekend if my son comes up- we will do his and mine I'm thinkin....
Old October 25th, 2023, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Anyway called dealership and they are going to do the tstat for free cuz car is covered until 100,000 mile powertrain warrantee.
-- Went for a short boat ride yesterday- How Nice!!
Greg - Ya got lucky, glad the dealership is going to cover it! Just got off the phone with my Sis and she mentioned how nice it's been up there. Has been here too, but the worm is suppose to turn this weekend when the temp goes from 84° on Friday to mid-50's and rain over the weekend. Not looking good for any car events this weekend right now.
Old October 25th, 2023, 08:19 AM

Normally when my wife buys fruit and it goes bad before she can eat it all it's a bummer knowing it will be thrown out. Not so when the bananas start to go bad because it means I'm probably going to get one of her homemade Banana Cakes with Cream Cheese Icing. By far my favorite cake, she puts about 1/2-inch of icing on it. Man I love homemade cream cheese icing!
Old October 25th, 2023, 08:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Only slept till 9 today so we could go run some errands. This afternoon I'm taking the Chevy to get a front end alignment. I'm sure he'll find plenty of things worn.

Speaking of the Chevy, when I got it back from my neighbor I sent Glenn a message telling him how excited I was to have it running. I never heard back. I hope I haven't said anything anywhere to make him mad.

Partly sunny today and the temperature is wonderful. Two more days until I have to work one day. How dumb. Might wash the Imperial before I have to take the Chevy. I want to take a picture and send it to a guy who wants to make an Imperial calendar.

Okay Happy Hump Day everyone.

Old October 25th, 2023, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Only slept till 9 today so we could go run some errands. This afternoon I'm taking the Chevy to get a front end alignment. I'm sure he'll find plenty of things worn.
Mike - Hope things go well with the Chevy alignment. That really sucks they're making your first day back be a Friday, doesn't make a whole helluva lot of sense to me.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 25th, 2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old October 25th, 2023, 12:45 PM

Got the pumpkin carved last night.
Old October 25th, 2023, 12:51 PM

Chris, yep on the weather, we had 76° for a record yesterday, and it was warmer in the Kzoo, southwest Mi. as well. We are supposed to have a rain snow/mix on Halloween. Ditto on the cream cheese frosting, stopped at a farm stand after getting the pumpkin and apples Saturday, and picked up a carrot cake with the aforementioned frosting. It was good. Note past tense in regards to the carrot cake Also grabbed a loaf of blueberry banana bread as well. That's next to go extinct from my fridge.
Old October 25th, 2023, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, yep on the weather, we had 76° for a record yesterday, and it was warmer in the Kzoo, southwest Mi. as well. We are supposed to have a rain snow/mix on Halloween. Ditto on the cream cheese frosting, stopped at a farm stand after getting the pumpkin and apples Saturday, and picked up a carrot cake with the aforementioned frosting. It was good. Note past tense in regards to the carrot cake Also grabbed a loaf of blueberry banana bread as well. That's next to go extinct from my fridge.
Dan - The pumpkin looks Awesome!!! Ya can't go wrong with cream cheese icing on anything and carrot cake is one of my favorites too. The blueberry/banana bread sounds yummy.

Separate topic, the Lions didn't even look like the same team last weekend. I hope they are not reverting to form. What a beat down from the Ravens!
Old October 25th, 2023, 01:16 PM

They're still 5-2, and S.F. lost to the Vikes, and the lowly Bears won. If they get back on track on MNF against the Raiders, then we will be good. I'm glad that we have a winning season so far but, I worry about the hype, expecting too much.