The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2023, 09:55 AM

Good morning guys (barely),

Cool (39° F) and very gray and wet here all morning. It's supposed to keep raining all day and into the evening, just nasty!

Borrrrr . . . ing! Spent the morning doing some bills and record keeping, very stimulating, Not! Trying to find some motivation to go downstairs and do my lifting workout, but it's cold down there in the winter, and definitely chilly until I get going and get into it. Gets harder and harder to find the motivation as each month passes!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old January 18th, 2023, 10:37 AM

So John/Norm What is you take on the Oxford comma
Old January 18th, 2023, 12:52 PM

Chris, is there anything loose in the trunk of the 442, like your jack, or tire iron? is your spare secure? Anything fall into the trunk drop offs?
Old January 18th, 2023, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, is there anything loose in the trunk of the 442, like your jack, or tire iron? is your spare secure? Anything fall into the trunk drop offs?
Dan - My spare, jack, and tire iron are all secure. Just to make sure it wasn't anything in the trunk, I took everything out, including the spare, test drove it and could still hear the noise. However, I did not think to check inside the trunk drop offs, thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely check down in there the next time I am out messing with it. This just got me thinking about something else, there are speakers in the package tray and I haven't checked the mounting of those. I can't really envision one of them being loose would make the type of noise I am hearing, but you never know?
Old January 18th, 2023, 02:04 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Jim - Throughout K-12 through grad. school I was taught & I wrote all papers employing the Oxford comma. It was about the time I finished grad. school everyone began writing w/o the Oxford comma; so, I changed and I don't use it any longer.
Old January 18th, 2023, 03:10 PM

The H/OCA newsletter uses the Oxford comma.
Old January 18th, 2023, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim - Throughout K-12 through grad. school I was taught & I wrote all papers employing the Oxford comma. It was about the time I finished grad. school everyone began writing w/o the Oxford comma; so, I changed and I don't use it any longer.
Norm - I'm sure you know this, but use of an Oxford comma can be case dependent. In some cases, use of an Oxford comma may clarify a nuance or difference in the items listed.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 18th, 2023 at 04:29 PM.
Old January 18th, 2023, 04:19 PM
Running On Empty

Punctuation is a hallmark of writing style.
Old January 18th, 2023, 05:48 PM

Old January 18th, 2023, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by fun71
Laughing my **** off! 🤣
Old January 18th, 2023, 06:03 PM

OK, I had to google the Oxford comma. Hmmmmm....
Old January 18th, 2023, 06:46 PM

I 100% agree with this statement, and ensure what I write is not ambiguous. I'm flexible like that.

There are cases in which the use of the serial comma can avoid ambiguity, and also instances in which its use can introduce ambiguity.

Not using one here resulted in a $10 million payout:

https://thewritelife.com/is-the-oxford-comma-necessary/

Last edited by Fun71; January 18th, 2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old January 18th, 2023, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I 100% agree with this statement, and ensure what I write is not ambiguous. I'm flexible like that.

There are cases in which the use of the serial comma can avoid ambiguity, and also instances in which its use can introduce ambiguity.

Not using one here resulted in a $10 million payout:

https://thewritelife.com/is-the-oxford-comma-necessary/
Amen.
Old January 19th, 2023, 05:47 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

More rain. Yuck. Good start to the morning, my wall guy and I hit 14 wheels by break. That's pretty good.

Next up, the grocer's apostrophe.

No real plans to look forward to. Just the usual chores and things I need to do that I don't do. I need some excitement in my life. Check that, I need some good excitement in my life. My Australia trip is coming up, but honestly, I don't think I'm gonna go. I haven't seen my friends in a couple years, but that trip gets tougher every time and I don't think I'm up to it. Maybe if I hired a porter to tote my bags it would be easier.

Chris without reading back pages and pages, does the sound in the car get faster the faster you drive? Happen with the windows either up or down?

Okay break is over. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old January 19th, 2023, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris without reading back pages and pages, does the sound in the car get faster the faster you drive? Happen with the windows either up or down?
Mike - No, the sound does not get faster as the car goes faster. Seems like I hear it more often under the opposite conditions, when the car is decelerating and engine under light load. However, that could be because the exhaust sound is rather loud when accelerating and under heavy load.
Old January 19th, 2023, 08:01 AM

Clutch pedal on my Tacoma is losing its bushings after 280k. Clutch seems ok, but goes out very low on the pedal. Got tired of hooking the pedal and pulling the pedal out back to where it goes, instead of half down, so tied a rope around it and the steering column. Hit overdrive, pull rope after letting clutch out as far as it goes, pedal comes back out. Been gradually dying for 2 years, worse in could weather.

I need to get my Tahoe on the road so I can work on this truck.
Old January 19th, 2023, 08:04 AM

Good morning guys,

Woke up this morning with heavy sinus drainage and a minor sore throat. Hoping it's just the change in the weather and I'm not coming down with a bug. It's been so long since I've even had a cold, I can't remember how long it's been.

No big plans for me today.
Hope all of you have a great one!
Old January 19th, 2023, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Clutch pedal on my Tacoma is losing its bushings after 280k.
Wow, it's going out with only 280K- miles! LoL Seriously, that's pretty impressive, Toyota makes a very impressive product in my opinion!
Old January 19th, 2023, 10:33 AM

Smart chargers , my ***

Snowed last night and I'm slow at getting the garbage out for pickup. The Durango battery was stone cold dead, seem the stop lights are staying on all by them self these days, thus battery was dead. 3 or 4 inches of hard ice was all over the truck, no chance of getting the Money Pit close enough to jump start, it's waiting for spring. So out comes the so called smart charger. What a POS. Seems it will only fire up when there is a charge left in the battery, which mine does not have. Why is this smart?. I can hear the garbage truck coming down the road but my garbage will stay at home with the rest of my stuff till next week. I don't dare leave tthe garbage out side till next week or the bear will distribute it to all my neighbors, pluss any of theirs it can find.

I have gotten the charger to work by doubleing up with a old battery I had laying around, seems strange it would be marketed as a smart charger. Neither it or I are very smart... Now where is my old charger that never gave mr any grief...Tedd
Old January 19th, 2023, 10:57 AM

I have an old analog charger of my grandfather's that I use on anything 12V. 6 amps is low, 4 is pulling well, 2 is almost done, and 1 is done on the meter.
Old January 19th, 2023, 03:17 PM
Running On Empty

Ensalada de camarones

Old January 19th, 2023, 05:03 PM

I have an old analog charger of my grandfather's that I use on anything 12V. 6 amps is low, 4 is pulling well, 2 is almost done, and 1 is done on the meter.

I remember exactly when I bought this 12v Schumacher charger, it was in 1983 when I bought my first home. It has served me well now for 40-years. With 2, 10, and 50amp settings, it has charged many a deep cycle trolling motor battery, and the 50amp setting works like a charm starting vehicles where the battery has been completely drained. What a wonderful piece of equipment!
Old January 19th, 2023, 05:40 PM

Norm - That salad is a work of art! Looks like it came right out of a fine restaurant!
Old January 19th, 2023, 07:14 PM

Norm One of my all time favorites what all do you put in your Sophrito
don't tell Chris it's not a salad

Old January 20th, 2023, 01:19 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Man, this **** sucks. I guess it's a tradeoff. We come in before the chickens, we leave and start our weekend early. Not sure it's worth it but whatever. My robot guy forgot his badge and had to turn around and go get it. Hope he finds something open to bring breakfast. Funny, he's related to the airport. He should know better.

Was absolutely beautiful yesterday afternoon. Got the brake pads put on the car. Next up spark plugs.

Slow to start this morning. Big surprise. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old January 20th, 2023, 03:44 AM

--Chris, I have exactly the same battery charger. It's been a good one. Only thing that is iffy is the switch that controls the amp setting. Sometimes I can see that the charger isn't putting out- then I wiggle switch and can see gage go and starts humming. Prolly cuz I dropped it couple times....
--OK, I guess I'll ask you guys about this.... Yesterday I was expecting a call or text from my "boss"(actually another Red Cross volunteer - who is more of a "lead") cuz someone had a house fire. Anyway I was expecting a important call. My phone was low on charge so I plugged it in and started walking on treadmill. (I try to do it for 30 min uninterrupted). So a text comes in, I get off treadmill to check, expecting my important call. No it is a group text (12 neighbors) from neighbor about a party next week. So get back on tread mill a couple more minutes- another text- is it important one? Get off and check, no a response from another neighbor about party, so back to walking. Another text, is it??? Better check. NO! On and on.... Finally finish after ignoring about 6 text alerts.
--So I texted original texter and ask her to take me off group text. She sz she can't. So I am not kidding- I must have gotten 25 back and forth texts thru out the day-into the evening- Turned into a joke fest with pictures and short video clips etc.etc.
--I finally did get my important text from RC person and we went to assist, with my phone blowing up with stupid *** texts from the other text.
__ SO, question??? In your opinion am I being unreasonable and crochety to expect to be able to use my phone for what I need it for??
Old January 20th, 2023, 04:19 AM
Running On Empty

OLD FAITHFUL
Purchased during the Jurassic Period. Works perfectly to this day.

Old January 20th, 2023, 04:23 AM
Always room for one more

Greg she can absolutely take you off the group text. She just couldn't be bothered. Maybe there's a setting in your phone to take yourself off it.

Old January 20th, 2023, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Chris, I have exactly the same battery charger. It's been a good one. Only thing that is iffy is the switch that controls the amp setting. Sometimes I can see that the charger isn't putting out- then I wiggle switch and can see gage go and starts humming. Prolly cuz I dropped it couple times....
. . .
__ SO, question??? In your opinion am I being unreasonable and crochety to expect to be able to use my phone for what I need it for??
Greg - What a coincidence we have the same old charger and they still work , , , but maybe not, they probably made a million of them.

Here's a suggestion for the phone.
With many phones these days, when entering the name and phone number of someone in your contacts list, you can also set the contact info to use a unique ring tone for calls, or alert noise for texts, that allows you to effectively screen your calls without picking your phone up. I have these types of tones and alerts for my wife, kids, and a couple of close friends. I figure everyone else can wait. However, word of caution, do not use Elton John's "Bitch is Back" for the wife's ring tone!
Old January 20th, 2023, 07:00 AM

OLD FAITHFUL
Wow, you are old!
Old January 20th, 2023, 07:02 AM

OLD FAITHFUL

I have the next gen model of this one with pivoting needle.
Old January 20th, 2023, 07:04 AM

Not mine, but same one as the one I have. Mine is less rusty.
Old January 20th, 2023, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--OK, I guess I'll ask you guys about this.... Yesterday I was expecting a call or text from my "boss"(actually another Red Cross volunteer - who is more of a "lead") cuz someone had a house fire. Anyway I was expecting a important call. My phone was low on charge so I plugged it in and started walking on treadmill. (I try to do it for 30 min uninterrupted). So a text comes in, I get off treadmill to check, expecting my important call. No it is a group text (12 neighbors) from neighbor about a party next week. So get back on tread mill a couple more minutes- another text- is it important one? Get off and check, no a response from another neighbor about party, so back to walking. Another text, is it??? Better check. NO! On and on.... Finally finish after ignoring about 6 text alerts.
--So I texted original texter and ask her to take me off group text. She sz she can't. So I am not kidding- I must have gotten 25 back and forth texts thru out the day-into the evening- Turned into a joke fest with pictures and short video clips etc.etc.
--I finally did get my important text from RC person and we went to assist, with my phone blowing up with stupid *** texts from the other text.
Welcome to my world. Four sisters, my Mom, and all they do is send pictures of their grand kids and back and forth "How Cute", "Loved an image" on and on and on. I often put my phone in airplane mode so I can get some work done without the constant interruptions.
Old January 20th, 2023, 01:55 PM
Running On Empty

Not mine, but same one as the one I have. Mine is less rusty.
One rectifier & two diodes make up the innards for both the A6612 (mine) & B6612 (yours); although, the B6612 has a separate/dedicated ground wire (the A6612 does not). You're getting a whopping two additional (more) charging amps than me.
Old January 20th, 2023, 01:59 PM
Running On Empty

Norm One of my all time favorites what all do you put in your Sophrito
Jim - It most often depends on my mood and what I have available in the kitchen. Mostly it's those little 'white onions', garlic, pepper & select herbs (depending on mood). I love those little 'white onions', they have a really nice taste to them.
Old January 20th, 2023, 02:02 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Welcome to my world. Four sisters, my Mom, and all they do is send pictures of their grand kids and back and forth "How Cute", "Loved an image" on and on and on. I often put my phone in airplane mode so I can get some work done without the constant interruptions.
My phone is always in 'Do Not Disturb' mode. The only/singular times it is not in 'Do Not Disturb' mode is if I am absolutely certain I am expecting a telephone call. Otherwise, I treat it as a basic 'land line'.
Old January 21st, 2023, 06:20 AM

Good morning guys,

Pretty here this morning with bright sunshine, but cold at 24° F and a heavy frost. Supposed to be a good chance of a dusting to an inch of snow tonight into tomorrow morning.

I didn't post a general post yesterday, just commented on a couple of other guy's stuff. On Friday I had posted I might be coming down with a bug, yesterday it was clearly evident I had. Everything is upper respiratory, so I think it's just your run of the mill Cold, but I still generally feel like $hit! Just to be safe for other's benefit, I took a rapid Covid test and it was negative, if it can be trusted?

My wife sold another piece of furniture yesterday, one of the two antique Secretaries she currently has for sale. It's a fairly large (tall) piece, I hope the lady who bought it comes with a very large SUV or a truck. Even though the full dimensions of all the furniture are in the ads, it never ceases to amaze me how many times people come to pick something up with a vehicle too small to haul it! Also, they often come with with no cardboard to lay it on, or moving blankets to wrap it in, what the phuque are they thinking???

Grandson Gabe's last basketball game is today at 4:00. Gave my daughter a heads-up yesterday I was not feeling well and might not make it. I'll see how I'm feeling around noon and decide if I'm going. My only other plans for today are watching the NFL Divisional Round playoff games. I believe my KC Chiefs game comes on around 3:00pm, so if I go to the basketball game I'll have to be sure and record it.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 21st, 2023 at 06:59 AM.
Old January 21st, 2023, 08:45 AM

I have to clean house today.

I have a pipe in my chimney next to the main flue (pictures in this thread some time ago) that I would like to use for a wood stove in the basement. However, I am concerned that it won't be good enough for a modern installation. I am going to call my chimney guys for a general inspection of both flues this spring and see if the pipe is usable. They want this godawful huge thimble thing to go through a wall...this pipe just goes through the concrete wall. Not sure I want to blast a foot big hole in my wall just for nanny state codes.
Old January 21st, 2023, 10:12 AM

I posted earlier this morning my wife had sold an antique Secretary, which has now been picked up. Luckily, it just barely fit into the back of a Nissan Rogue with both front seats all the way forward, and the rear seats folded down. It just barely fit.

Haven't posted any pics of completed pieces lately for those of you who have an interest.

Here's a set of 2 Chest of Drawers that would be pretty in a girl's room.

And here's a Chest of Drawers that would go nicely in a Log Cabin or Rustic motif type room. She hasn't put the drawer pulls back on yet because they are in the process of being cleaned/polished.

Old January 21st, 2023, 12:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I took a rapid Covid test and it was negative, if it can be trusted?
And, exactly why would it not be trusted?