The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2022, 02:24 PM

Not to worry Norm, there are plenty more where those came from. Let me know when you get low
Old March 21st, 2022, 03:11 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks Jim. I have a sinus full of green/yellow snow. Hate it.
Old March 21st, 2022, 03:15 PM
Always room for one more

Aloooohah!

Many successes today. First off it's beautiful and warm out. Tiger was up to his usual tricks this morning, not going to the bathroom before I left. In fact he hadn't gone in like a day. I was worried he'd be uncomfortable all day and there's no place in this house for him to go if he gets in a jam. Also, I was worried about him being alone in the strange house for so long. Anyway. He was fine all day, didn't seem bothered about staying by himself, in fact he was napping when I came home. Then, we got right to work at filling the bed. I had found an old garden hose under the porch and modified it, and it worked like a charm. I don't think it took 30 minutes for it to fill. Got it all made up and turned the heater on. I don't know how warm it will be by bedtime but by God I'll be comfortable tonight NOT on the couch.

Went over to the house after that and brought a few more things over. This evening I'm going to do some cleaning in the kitchen. The previous people were not big on cleaning and I can't in good conscience put my food and dishes into these cabinets without cleaning them real good. This is not a terrific kitchen. It's pretty, but poorly laid out and small. I'll have to see what I can do.

Norm someone caught you golfing today and posted a video.

He also was listening to your friend in the clubhouse later on. That was some lake you were putting into.

I'm really liking this staying lighter later. Middle of summer light at 9pm? Love it.

Peace

Last edited by slantflat; March 21st, 2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old March 21st, 2022, 04:37 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Sounds like Tiger is acclimating quite well. I remember when I saw the golf/whale beach shenanigans - it was quite funny.

Hey, the clock is in, the dash is complete and the clock works great.

I stained the interior side of the double-hung window. I hate the green/yellow snow - it knocks the dog $hit out of me.
Old March 21st, 2022, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Hey, the clock is in, the dash is complete and the clock works great.
Norm - That's great, real happy the guy made it right for you!
Old March 21st, 2022, 05:41 PM

Good evening guys,

Another really nice day today, sunny and 75°. Clouded up in the late afternoon, but still nice.

Busy day today. My wife had a regular dentist visit this morning for a regular check-up and cleaning, plus they did the impressions to build her 2 crowns and bridge work. Ouch, we got charged upfront for our part of the fabrication and installation of those! Then we had to go straight to the hospital for an updated scan of her abdomen in preparation for her surgery tomorrow morning. We have to be there tomorrow morning at O' dark thirty (0530), and with two different segments of surgery (2 surgeons), they said don't expect her to be ready to go home until mid-afternoon. It will be a long day for sure. I'm going to try and run home between the 2 segments if the window allows to let the dogs out.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old March 21st, 2022, 05:53 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Busy day for you both tomorrow. I'm very optimistic for the absolute best for your wife. All will go "as planned"!
Old March 21st, 2022, 05:59 PM

Chris, I'm sure all will go good for your lovely bride. Modern medicine is amazing, All will be great.
Old March 21st, 2022, 06:06 PM
Running On Empty

I've witnessed clouds of Pine pollen 100' - 200' feet above ground wafting through the air - not from a downed tree but simply clouds of the stuff.

Old March 21st, 2022, 07:06 PM

Norm and Greg - Thanks so much for the encouragement and well wishes, they are very much appreciated! 😀
Old March 21st, 2022, 07:20 PM

I've witnessed clouds of Pine pollen 100' - 200' feet above ground wafting through the air - not from a downed tree but simply clouds of the stuff.
Norm - I'm ecstatic about Spring being here, but with it along comes the pollen and associated allergy problems. I'm allergic to all kinds of grasses, trees, weeds, and mold. The worst for me are red cedar and ragweed. I went through the allergy shot regimen as a child and again as a young adult. Fortunately, my problems don't seem to be as bad as I have gotten older. My body seems to work well with generic Zyrtec and I take one a day whether I need it or not. I find I'm the worst after a long Spring day riding through the countryside with an open helmet, gee, I wonder why?
Old March 21st, 2022, 07:49 PM
Running On Empty

If I get w/in 100’ of Ambrosia psilostachya (perennial ragweed) I turn into a walking ball of snot. Eyes turn completely red, eyelids swollen, CONSTANT sneezing one right after the other and snot running out of my nostrils - NOT a pretty site. I feel like ripping the heart out of any poor soul who gets next to me. I am absolutely amazed what this plants pollen does to me.
Old March 22nd, 2022, 12:42 AM
GCH

Chris - Busy day for you both tomorrow. I'm very optimistic for the absolute best for your wife. All will go "as planned"!
+ 1 on that . Have some allergic also but it have been much better the older i got But the tree in Norms video was
the worst i seen i think. We have pollen clouds coming here to so i,m not in the woods then. We have had really nice
spring weather here with a lot of sun last days and started up the 98 a couple of days ago and drove it out in the sunshine
when i changed to summer wheels and greased the front end on my truck in the garage. Need some maintance on the
steering gear also as it leaks from the input shaft.
Chris , both wheel setups looks great but like the ssi a little more , the car looks to be in a very great shape
Norm , looked at your car at your channel and liked it a lot , and you also got power windows . i like PW
in convertible cars. Very nice bike also.

The time here is now 08.41 in the morning.
Old March 22nd, 2022, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
+ 1 on that .
Have some allergic also but it have been much better the older i got But the tree in Norms video was the worst i seen i think. We have pollen clouds coming here to so i,m not in the woods then. We have had really nice spring weather here with a lot of sun last days and started up the 98 a couple of days ago and drove it out in the sunshine when i changed to summer wheels and greased the front end on my truck in the garage. Need some maintance on the steering gear also as it leaks from the input shaft.
Chris , both wheel setups looks great but like the ssi a little more , the car looks to be in a very great shape
Norm , looked at your car at your channel and liked it a lot , and you also got power windows . i like PW in convertible cars. Very nice bike also.
The time here is now 08.41 in the morning.
Glenn - Thanks for the encouragement and well wishes for my wife, very much appreciated. Also, thank you for the compliment on my car and your input on the wheel choice.

Norm - "Ambrosia psilostachya", Ambrosia my ****, they should have named that crap "Snot Weed"!!! I'll give everyone an update on how the day went when I get a chance, gotta leave for the hospital in about 40-minutes.
Old March 22nd, 2022, 02:45 AM

Chris, Hope all goes well. Please keep your Olds friends in the loop

Norm, I hate ta tell you this but the absolute worse pine pollen I've ever seen was at Augusta National
Old March 22nd, 2022, 06:46 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Makes sense you'd see lots of Pine pollen @ Augusta.

It's amazing the plethora of misinformation you find on the Internet. And, many people are going to believe only what they want to believe & if they read it on the Internet is has to be true. I studied Botany & Plant Physiology - my graduate research thesis involved fertilization of Plumbago zeylanica. I produced monoclonal antibodies to Plumbago zeylanica pollen, as well. Pine pollen (while there's tons of it) isn't the most likely culprit to produce human allergies to tree pollen. Instead, Oak, Cedar & Birch produce the most allergies in humans. And, in terms of trees, they all produce basically the same color pollen - green, yellow or green/yellow. So deciphering which tree(s) is producing all the pollen is essentially impossible - imagine someone saying their car, equipment, house, road, etc. is covered in either Pine, or Oak, or Cedar, or Birch pollen. It's likely Pine pollen contributes to some overall sensitivity in people, but the real culprits are Oak, Cedar & Birch trees.

The all time highest ranked flowering plant to induce the worst allergies in humans remains Ambrosia psilostachya (perennial ragweed).
Old March 22nd, 2022, 08:54 AM

Visiting family in Lake Charles for Mom’s 85th birthday. Started raining a bit this morning.

Last edited by Fun71; March 22nd, 2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2022, 08:58 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - A couple small showers - NOT. Congrats on your Mom’s 85th.
Old March 22nd, 2022, 09:08 AM
Jeff

My wife's old coworker used to be in the zone that included Lake Charles. His house was one of very few that didn't get damaged or flooded by Katrina, and someone offered him an insane amount of money that he couldn't turn down to sell.
Old March 22nd, 2022, 09:18 AM

Kenneth - I thought of your family very early this morning when the national weather showed that strong front that caused the damage overnight in Texas and was headed across Louisiana. Hope you didn't get anything too severe!
Old March 22nd, 2022, 09:34 AM

Hey guys,

Believe it or not, we are back from the hospital already. The pre-op scan they took yesterday determined that the hemorrhagic cyst on her Ovary had burst, so the 2nd surgeon doing a separate laproscopic procedure to remove that was no longer needed. The removal of the other suspect cysts in her Uterus went very well, but we won't have the results of the biopsies of the tissue for a few days to make sure they got clear margins around those. Surgeon came in to talk to me while she was in recovery and told me everything went as well as it possibly could, as long as the biopsies turn out OK. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers, and please keep em coming for awhile, we're not totally out of the woods yet!
Old March 22nd, 2022, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
My wife's old coworker used to be in the zone that included Lake Charles. His house was one of very few that didn't get damaged or flooded by Katrina, and someone offered him an insane amount of money that he couldn't turn down to sell.
Katrina was on the other (east) side of the state. My sister in N’Awlinz evacuated to Lake Charles (her house didn’t get any damage) then three weeks later she and the Lake Charles crowd had to evacuate when Rita plowed through and flattened the west side of the state. You may not have heard much about that as the national news focused on how Rita missed the Houston area. Entire towns in SW LA were destroyed, but all the national media reported was the Houston area people running out of gas while stuck in evacuation traffic.

Last edited by Fun71; March 22nd, 2022 at 09:45 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2022, 11:30 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Fun71
Katrina was on the other (east) side of the state. My sister in N’Awlinz evacuated to Lake Charles (her house didn’t get any damage) then three weeks later she and the Lake Charles crowd had to evacuate when Rita plowed through and flattened the west side of the state. You may not have heard much about that as the national news focused on how Rita missed the Houston area. Entire towns in SW LA were destroyed, but all the national media reported was the Houston area people running out of gas while stuck in evacuation traffic.
Ah, I think either I have my lakes confused (Ponchartrain or Charles) or the hurricanes. The American spirit of resiliency is alive and well.
Old March 22nd, 2022, 04:22 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Beautiful, beautiful day out. A little warmer than yesterday. But it's short lived. Alabama is getting hammered by storms right now and we're going to see them early tomorrow morning.

Finished the painting in the bedroom at the other house. Tomorrow I need to touch up where I got light green on the ceiling. So the ceililng will have ultra white spots all around the edges. I don't care. It will look better than green spots. After that I need to clean. I'll get to more painting later on.

I have noticed precious little pollen around here, and we should be overrun with it. And I'm not down on my hands and knees like usual, because like Norm this stuff kicks my butt. Once(probably many times) when my department was working in the first hangar, a 767 taxied up to the hold line and sat waiting for clearance to go to the gate. The hangar doors were open and we all took cover. We knew what was coming. Sure enough, as soon as he spooled the engines up it sent a yellow cloud of dust from the ramp swirling into the hangar and we couldn't even see for several minutes. Some of the guys ran out and started screaming at the mechanics on the plane. Heck they couldn't hear or see them. But they should have known better than to firewall the throttles in a maintenance area.

Tomorrow is Friday for me. My Mom and my sister should be here tomorrow evening, then I'm off Thursday and Friday. My Mom asked the movers if they could deliver on Friday. That gives us a little while to get more stuff done. I can't wait for my sister to list all the things that my house needs that she wants to pay to have done immediately. Not. I can't figure her. Either she really thinks it's unfair that I have to pay to fix up my house myself, or she's feeling rather guilty about Mom coming to live here and she doesn't have to put up with her anymore.

Okay. Time to wind down.

Peace

Old March 22nd, 2022, 06:40 PM

Spring cleaning has begun. I am attempting to hang various pictures and decorations and get them off the floor. I've been hanging beer signs. My collections seems to be at 82 signs/advertising items. I have about 11 on the floor of that 82 that need to go up.
Old March 22nd, 2022, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Spring cleaning has begun. I am attempting to hang various pictures and decorations and get them off the floor. I've been hanging beer signs. My collections seems to be at 82 signs/advertising items. I have about 11 on the floor of that 82 that need to go up.
John - Sounds like a nice collection of signs and wall art. Anything unusual or rare? If you get a second, show us a couple pics of your favorites. I love that kind of stuff.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 03:13 AM

Like a cow on a flat rock down here. I need to check on John down in de bayou

Mike/Norm Have either of you tried local bee honey to help with the pollen issues you get?
Old March 23rd, 2022, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Like a cow on a flat rock down here. I need to check on John down in de bayou
Jim - That cow's cousin lives over here and she's been causing the same issue here, all day yesterday, today, and throughout the day tomorrow. Don't doubt we'll be under flash flood warnings before it's over.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
John - Sounds like a nice collection of signs and wall art. Anything unusual or rare? If you get a second, show us a couple pics of your favorites. I love that kind of stuff.
I'm not sure I have anything rare, per se, but a lot of it is old so there's not many examples left. I collect Evansville's Cook's Beer brand and Terre Haute Brewing Company's Champagne Velvet brand and other THBC items. I'll get some pictures.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I'm not sure I have anything rare, per se, but a lot of it is old so there's not many examples left. I collect Evansville's Cook's Beer brand and Terre Haute Brewing Company's Champagne Velvet brand and other THBC items. I'll get some pictures.
Sounds like cool stuff! I like the vintage beer and liquor signs too. I also like the service station, auto, and moto signs. I'd like to have both a vintage Stroh's Beer sign, and a Stroh's Ice Cream sign, from the Era when you could get frosty examples of both at Detroit Tiger ball games. Most people don't know Stroh's made really good ice cream products. Great memories going to Tiger games with my Dad and brother as a boy!
Old March 23rd, 2022, 12:25 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Long, boring day today. But I'm home now. In a minute we're going over to finish touch up and then start cleaning. My Mom and my sister will be here this evening.

A little breezy out, but not too cold. I don't think we got all the rain we were supposed to here on the south side. Supposed to be nice but cold the rest of the week.

Jamesbo I haven't had real honey in decades. There used to be a guy close to me that sold it, but I think he's stopped. I heard from John, he's okay, but the town close to where he grew up is obliterated. Not sure where that is, Metarie I think. Not close to where he is now.

Okay off to do housework. I'm done with work the rest of the week, I think work would have been the lesser of two evils. Eh, family, what are you gonna do.

Peace

Old March 23rd, 2022, 01:07 PM
Running On Empty

38/40

Off to play in the 9-hole shootout...
Old March 23rd, 2022, 01:17 PM

Nice round Norm

Mike, I just text our friend in the swamp
Old March 23rd, 2022, 01:18 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Sounds like cool stuff! I like the vintage beer and liquor signs too. I also like the service station, auto, and moto signs. I'd like to have both a vintage Stroh's Beer sign, and a Stroh's Ice Cream sign, from the Era when you could get frosty examples of both at Detroit Tiger ball games. Most people don't know Stroh's made really good ice cream products. Great memories going to Tiger games with my Dad and brother as a boy!
Stroh's still makes damn good ice cream, possibly my favorite version of Mackinaw Island Fudge flavor.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 01:21 PM

38/40

Off to play in the 9-hole shootout...
Very nice round Norm! Good luck in the shootout!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 23rd, 2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Stroh's still makes damn good ice cream, possibly my favorite version of Mackinaw Island Fudge flavor.
Jeff - That's very interesting. I knew Pabst bought out Stroh's beer many years ago, and I had incorrectly assumed the Ice Cream Division went by the wayside. I wonder how widely they distribute the Ice Cream? When I come up there this summer I'm definitely going to look for some. The Mackinaw Island Fudge sounds like a flavor I would really like. Thanks for chiming in to let me know!
Old March 23rd, 2022, 01:54 PM

Chris, I haven't posted in a couple of days, glad to see that all went well with your wifes surgery. Any of you guys on the Porcelain Sign Traders FB page? Boy, some of that vintage stuff is expensive. Careful of ebay, most "vintage" signs on there now are knock offs made in India. I have mostly automotive prints in the house, but I have a Packard thermometer that I bought about 20 years ago, and a porcelain AAA sign, that I bought about 10 years ago in the garage. I looked at a 42" Texaco sign about eight years ago, they were asking $220. I dilly dallied for about two days, and went back to offer $180, but it was gone. They now go for $1000-1500 bucks. I stiil look around for something gas related, or car related. Vintage Olds signs bring good money.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=1969w3155;1415227]Chris, I haven't posted in a couple of days, glad to see that all went well with your wifes surgery. Any of you guys on the Porcelain Sign Traders FB page? Boy, some of that vintage stuff is expensive. Careful of ebay, most "vintage" signs on there now are knock offs made in India. I have mostly automotive prints in the house, but I have a Packard thermometer that I bought about 20 years ago, and a porcelain AAA sign, that I bought about 10 years ago in the garage. I looked at a 42" Texaco sign about eight years ago, they were asking $220. I dilly dallied for about two days, and went back to offer $180, but it was gone. They now go for $1000-1500 bucks. I stiil look around for something gas related, or car related. Vintage Olds signs bring good money.[repro.

Dan - Thanks for the well wishes for my wife. I agree with you all the real deal stuff has went through the roof. All my metal signs are repros.

My wife found a place that will put your own pictures on metal signs and they are not outrageous at all. If you ever.want a link to the company I'll get it for you.

Also got a couple of.smaller '67 4-4-2 Ad metal signs that I have used to make my show board.

Old March 23rd, 2022, 04:36 PM

Also got a couple of.smaller '67 4-4-2 Ad metal signs that I have used to make my show board.
That's pretty cool.
Old March 23rd, 2022, 05:07 PM
Running On Empty

Jim/Chris - Thanks.

Spanked it today....

Won the shootout - 1st place. Shot a 37 & won one skin. A good day at work.

One day I'll post some signs. I'm going to put a coat of primer & one coat of paint on the exterior side of the window I just rebuilt.