The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2016, 01:36 AM

Good "Morning".

Was at garage at Morning. Trying different setups. Had to confess and ask help from monzaz, i just dont have a skill to judge used patterns, drive is never as in textbook, and ive done now ALOT of different setups.
Oh well, let the professional judge.

Here they are running that " buy one get two" all the time, through the year at glasses.

Well, time to do something.
Old December 15th, 2016, 04:18 AM

Here's my dream car Maybe Santa thinks I've been good

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-lotus-elan/
Old December 15th, 2016, 04:43 AM

That looks really nice. Maybe you can convice your wife if that comes to your yard that Santa actually bought it to you?
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:02 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Does that car come with someone to work on it?

Going into the deep freeze this weekend. Ugh. C'mon global warming!

Have a day
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:31 AM

Clint, I was kinda counting on you. Don't you have sum tiny metric wrenches
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Captain Starfire

Gee, Mike... like you, I knew it was going to happen, but wasn't expecting that news so soon. No words are any good, so I'll just send condolences from me & Better Half.

Advent Blessings to Olds friends.
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Clint, I was kinda counting on you. Don't you have sum tiny metric wrenches
Ill tell you a secret. I dont own, and im not even going to buy any inch-tools.
I use sockets formed like this:

They dont slip at all on inch-sized bolts, and ive opened pretty hard bolts with them, one even broke my quality ratchet-wrenches ratchet mechanism, but socket didnt slip at bolt still. Used LONG pipe with it, and mechanism just gave up..
Ill bet it goes vice versa, with quality inch-tools you dont need metric tools to their side.

Last edited by Inline; December 15th, 2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old December 15th, 2016, 08:59 AM
CQR

I'm not sure but don't those use British standard parts? Not normal standard.
Old December 15th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Short Friday. I could get used to a two day work week.

Thanks for the nice words. I never considered myself living alone when I had eight extra feet running around. But now, yet another new normal to get used to.

Jamesbo that's a nice looking car. Your favorite? The Amphicar might be jealous. Unless that Lotus came out in the 30s I wouldn't consider it the first backbone chassis.

Okay time to get going. Have a good evening everyone.
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:28 PM

Good Morning. Woke up to do some porridge to fiancee.
Friends have been asking am i nuts to wake up at 04.30am when in vacation

Had to look what we had for sale Lotus wise, and found this pretty interesting:

http://www.nettiauto.com/lotus/elite/8471080

God its small, and the factory advertisement boasting about roomy interior...

Well, have a good friday everyone.
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:10 AM

Morning.

Jamesbo I had an Elan a few years back. Fun to drive when you squeezed yourself into it. More suited to someone five two and 150 pound, however I'm six two and considerably more than 150 pounds. If you like Lotus then you should look at the Europa, now that's a car.
Old December 16th, 2016, 06:19 AM
CQR

Mike, I just read back some. I'm sorry to hear about your girl.

Well its almost 50 right now, but spose to go below zero tonight and stay in the deep freeze. Ugh.

Have a weekend.
Old December 16th, 2016, 06:27 AM

Clint,
Do you know about the Manchu march out your way. My boy led about 350 on a 25 mile hike to commerate their batallions march druing the boxer rebellion. Only this time they gave away present fer the needy

London, I'm not quite that small but I can remember worrying about cracking the wooden steering wheel on my ol d E-type pulling to get my lard a$$ out of there

Mike. Check your FB messages I saw a pair of brother and sister up near me in the mountains that need a home

Does anyone but me like hot leomonade ?

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 16th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got home early this morning and just woke up. I should have most of the day to myself so this is a good start to my vacation. Looks cold out, I haven't inquired as to the temp yet.

Thanks Clint. I'm okay with her being gone, because I know how much pain she was in. But I can't get used to the place feeling so empty.

Jamesbo I saw those dogs, there was a message under their picture that said they had found a home.

So, since I can't access my work email from home anymore I get to run up there to set up a buddy pass. Eh, I'll have lunch at a place I like and I can also send something FedEx I'll get ready this morning.

Okay, late stop at the Awful house and then the day gets started. Have a good Friday everyone.
Old December 16th, 2016, 09:46 AM

Jamesbo, I thought that your dream car was a '69 W30 convert.? or, are you like the rest of us and have more than one dream car? A former boss had an Elan, and a Europa, plus a late fifties Bentley that he wrenched on. I rode in the Elan once (30 years ago), small and nimble, he said that it was much better than the MG's and Triumph's from a handling perspective. Clint that same system that is dumping on you is headed my way, driving home tonight will be a pain, blowing n' snow'n, around 7" expected. Hot lemonade? uhh, I don't know, as I never had it, I might stick to hot chocolate.
Old December 16th, 2016, 10:25 AM

Yes, I've got a stable of wants

69 W 30 drop top [Never even seen one]
Amphi [ to be the envy of my lake neighbors]
full remvoable top Blazer/Jimmy [cause I used to drive on on the beach at Cumberland Island]

Testatossa [Cause it was Enzo's last stroll down the assembly line]

Lotus Elan [cause one of the past presdients of the SCCA gave me a ride in his new one in 66]

66 Shelby GT 350 [cause I drove one once and it was a bear]

Road Runner [Petty Blue] cause I like the horn

after I think this over fer a while I might add a few more.

At the risck of being banished from CO a 69 H/O is not on my list
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi everyone,
Friday quitting whistle time for y'all?

Clint - It's been pretty cold here for some time now. This morning was -24 and this afternoon it's warmed up to -20. Tonight it's spoda drop down to -28 and that's without wind chill. Hope your weather isn't that bad.

Mike - I just read Clint's comment on this page about your loss. I'm truly sorry as I know how dedicated you were to her. You'll never forget her, so cherish the memories that keep her alive in your heart.

Jim - Be careful what you wish for. Some sad news I just found out about in the Memoriam section of this site. Cittcap (Pat) passed away in Aug of this year. The information in the post says it was from an accident at home. I know his knowledge and friendship will be missed by many. Didn't know if you were aware of his passing.

Inline - I got all kinds of SAE and metric tools but that's the first time I've seen a socket like that. The design makes sense though. What size is the square in the socket? We're so used to 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" here I can't imagine it being different in Europe.

Dan - my dream car is a Rolls Cannardly.

Heading out shortly to pick up my new glasses, if the car will start. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old December 16th, 2016, 01:11 PM

Allan,

Yes Pat was one of my dear origional CO friends. He was always kind enough to share his electic info with me. We even shared some recipes. He was a champ of a guy
Old December 16th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Captain Starfire

Gdaftanoon, all... Every now & again it's good to be in the genital region of the U.S.: we got down to about 40*F last night, and it was in 60s most of the day.

Jamesbo, I should take a crack at a list like that. I'd prolly have to start out with a list of 100 or so, and pare it down to size. Certainly a couple other & different body styles of Corvette would grace the list... depending on whether it was a real "Dream List" or something that could actually happen (say, if the real dream was winning the PowerBall -- which I rarely even play). But in all honestly, if that would happen, I might just do the Jay Leno thing and buy whatever the heck strikes my fancy.

Whelpt, tomorrow's the big (as big as it generally gets for us) family gathering at The Swamp, so let's hope I don't need the Alka Seltzer at the end of the day. Better Half is making her world renowned pecan pie, and I'm doing everything else.

Y'all have a great weekend, Olds pals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 16th, 2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old December 16th, 2016, 03:14 PM

On the subject of dream cars it has to be a 73 mk3 Ford Cortina, In black, sort of the same one I had when I was 17. Bet it won't come with the cute blonde I was with at the time. That's got me thinking, I'm off to eBay to see what they have.
Old December 16th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Always room for one more

I could weigh in on what my favorite car is, but some would argue that that would be anything that had wheels.

High on the list would be a 1962 Imperial LeBaron. Bugeye Sprite. Maybe a Lincoln Mark II. I wanted a Ferrari like Magnum PI's until I found out a tune up was 5 grand.

Thank you Allan. I miss them both terribly. My boy died in October.

Hot lemonade sounds like something you'd fix when you're sick. With a little whiskey in it.

Oh here's another one. VH Valiant Charger E49(with the track pack of course). And the original Batmobile. Very convincing replicas are only a buck fifty.
Old December 16th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, I didn't realize that you'd lost both pups. My heart goes out to you, I can only begin to imagine what grief you went through and likely still feel. Our pets become members of our family and loss of a pet is like loss of a family member. I know you would have done everything in your power to make sure they got the best possible care and treatment right up to the end. I hope you're going to be ok.

Jim, I kind of figured that. BTW, how come you don't post any of your recipes any more? It's been a couple years since I saw you do that. I'm also kind of curious about how the fight with the developer went when you were protecting those big oaks at the edge of your property and they wanted to chop em to make room for that turn lane to the new development. Did you win? Kinda hope the answer is yes.

Well the new glasses are taking a bit of getting used to. Spoda be a better Rx but tell that to my eyes which are kind of tired from fighting with these new lenses. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Old December 17th, 2016, 01:12 AM

Good Morning. God i slept for long. Must be that 250-something page automatic transmission book, makes you tired reading through it
Fiancee at work on saturday. She dont somehow like it..

Dream cars? Hmm.. Volvo 780 would be one, 2.3 turbo-automatic. C2 Corvette.
58' Mercury Monterey. Just to name few.

Hot lemonade, eeh :eek

Allan R- the ones i use have 1/2 socket for wrench. For wrenches we use SAE 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1" sizes, but socket-sizes themselves are metric.

Atleast for 1/2 wrenches, which are most used, those sockets are available, and to 3/8 and 3/4 i think. Not sure about others.

Bee-Oh-Pee- We go tomorrow too to visit my side of the family. And at 26. fiancees side. Not big meetings, were few. And we tend to keep close conctact only to closest relatives.

Ps. They did an investigation here at Finland, and found out that being at sauna often protects mens from Alzheimer Sauna day Im pretty sure that beer was also included to that investigation, it just wasnt named separately.

Well, have a nice saturday everyone

Last edited by Inline; December 17th, 2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:33 AM

Mawn'in

Headed norte

Allan, I won the tree battle and the city made the developer re do my drive and a few other things

The reason I don't post recipes much anymore is No one except Sandy ever tried them

Inline, So the question remains, is it the heat or the beer that keeps your brain healthy?

John, Good luck with the get together. BTW, I had a wonderfull pecan pie the other day that had raisins in it. Different but yummy

Enjoy de weekend Olds friends
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Okay the cold was fun, now it can warm up. I'm still having a tough time finding dry firewood. And last night it only got up to 70 in here. Still toasty compared to what I have the furnace set at.

For anyone who will be in the Auburn Hills, MI, area today, it is the last day ever for the Chrysler museum. It closed a couple years ago and was open a day here and a day there, but now it will close for good, the collection disassembled, and the building turned into office space. Shame. It was a well-done collection and had pretty much anything Chrysler related. I guess the Italians didn't view it as very important.

Jamesbo what was Sandy's favorite, meatloaf soup or something like that. I have a book somewhere that tells how to cook food on your engine while you're driving.

Well we'll see what I can get into today. No real plans to go anywhere so maybe I'll crank up the stove and let it go all day. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old December 17th, 2016, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Headed norte

Inline, So the question remains, is it the heat or the beer that keeps your brain healthy?
Thats why i play it safe and enjoy from both

Slantflat - Whats the situation with that Super88? Did you go look it already?

Last edited by Inline; December 17th, 2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old December 17th, 2016, 07:42 AM

Jamesbo, I made your hush puppies!
Old December 17th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Captain Starfire

If you can successfully deal with your family, you can deal with the Maharaja of India. But it was good to see everybody. The food was too good, as usual, and the only casualty at The Swamp was yours truly overeating. I just don't know how my plate gets so full... I just put a little on at a time....

However, the day wasn't without a real casualty: Aunt Carmy fell at my brother's house after leaving here and she wound up at the Emergency Room, getting 3 staples in the back of her noggin -- EXTREMELY fortunate it wasn't worse.

According to reports, she was running around doing 3 things at once and suddenly lost her balance. I guess that's understandable for an 86 y.o. who gets around with no cane or walker; so thank the Lord she didn't break anything. So all's well, more or less....

Y'all have a great one, Olds buds.
Old December 17th, 2016, 11:02 PM

Good Morning.

Happy to hear your meeting went rather well minus the aunt later. Lucky she, no big damage.

Have a nice sunday.
Old December 18th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Odd morning. Got up and it was over 60. Then the sun came out. Then it rained. Then the sun came out again. Now it's windy. My first thought this morning was to spend the day cleaning out the garage, I may need to have a second thought.

That 88 in Florida sold. It was for sale for months, and then when I call on it the guy says it's sold. Go figure.

John hope Aunt Carmy heals up quick.

Well I'm all decorated for Christmas. Got out the picture of Max that's in a snow man picture frame, and the ceramic light up Christmas tree that's about 8 inches tall. Max is my boy from years ago.

Guess I'll go do something. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old December 18th, 2016, 12:06 PM

Evening.

Inline I like your style - beer and sauna.

For some reason I got called the Grinch, just because I don't want a tree or decorations or cards and I don't want presents, go figure!!
Just booked my flight for Boxing Day back to Marbella to view a few more villas, shame there was no flights left for Christmas Eve

Still my ongoing case is unresolved, now the decisions been delayed till early March.

Have a great week all.
Old December 18th, 2016, 09:42 PM

Good morning.

Monday. Wifes all over christmas decorations and stuff now.

slantflat- Sounds weird, that Super88..

LondonCutlass - I agree with presents. When i were kid, they were nice to get. Somehow Christmas has lost its glory at adult age....
Buying and receiving presents is nowadays just embarrassing. Only dad makes difference to that. I buy him bottle of good whiskey, he buys me bottle of good conjac, and thats it. Simple.

Have a nice week leading to christmas everyone.
Old December 19th, 2016, 03:29 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Didn't sleep worth a darn last night, and now I'm up before the chickens. Today should be interesting.

We've been sans Jamesbo the past couple days. Hope everything is alright. Evidently he forgot about his own mandatory attendance rule.

I'm out of dry firewood again. My plan is to buy one of those cheap metal 8x10 storage sheds at Home Depot, but I'm too cheep to pay the 250. I should figure up what it would cost me to run the furnace as opposed to what I'd save running the stove, and see if over the winter the difference is more than 250.

Guess it will be an early morning at the Awful house. If I hurry I can catch some of the night shift before they go home. Haven't seen any of them in months.

Well enjoy the week everyone. Seven days till Santa.
Old December 19th, 2016, 05:57 AM

I'm ere Mike, Jes have a nasty cold I don't seem to be able to shake

John, I hope your aunt recovers quickly. Glad she didn't break a hip or something.

JMHO but tis de Season to s-l-o-w down

I think holidays cause so much unnecessary anxiety. I mean really after your a kid can you even remember what presents ya got

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old December 19th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Always room for one more

Hot lemonade and whiskey.

Hot lemonade Check

Whiskey It's a little early for me
Old December 19th, 2016, 08:52 AM

Jamesbo, hope that you don't have what was going around here, the "cold from hell", I'm just shaking it off after two weeks. I was up early this morning (for me) to get my head examined, a cat scan. I will probably have sinus surgery sometime early next year, just have to hear back from the Docs. office. Speaking of Lake Effect, which usually dumps snow on West Michigan due to the warm waters of Lake Michigan, a benefit that it has this time of year is keeping temperatures warmer (relatively speaking) than the surrounding areas, like inland away from the lake or, across from it, as Milwaukee, Wisconsin for example. Last night at 11:00pm they were at -6°F while we were 13°F on the positive side, so that warm water helps out a bit, unless you happen to be standing on the shore of said lake with the wind blowing in your face...then it really doesn't matter!
Old December 19th, 2016, 01:49 PM
MOTORHEAD

tree indeed
Old December 19th, 2016, 01:52 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hot lemonade and whiskey.

Hot lemonade Check

Whiskey It's a little early for me

I still have a potion portion of grog left
puncheon of rum to follow

how are the dogs???
Old December 20th, 2016, 12:01 AM

Good Morning.

Boring. Like nothing to do, cant go to assembly my rear until i receive my new pinion nut, and after that ive missing axles. At home there would be only cleaning. Hate it.

Well, have a nice tuesday everyone.
Old December 20th, 2016, 03:16 AM

Yea, got my pinion nut atlast. The whole adventure with one single pinion-nut, after buying that crap Dorman, and sourcing out and ordering GM-original, ended up costing me 56$... Must be made of gold. Not sure do i want to laugh or cry?

Left is dorman. Note the shape of the nut-end. It should be collapsible nut. Like the OEM. And thickness = amount of threads.
Gm is really really close, as close you can say its as thick as the radius of bolt, unlike the Dorman.
I might be overthinking this, but i have really close to 2000$ at my rear now, i dont want to risk all of it just because of some stupid nut, especially when you can tell the difference between OEM and Dorman By blind eye.