The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2016, 12:52 PM

Man flu. Worse than childbirth.
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:19 PM

Good Morning.

Made normal porridge to fiancee since she wanted it. I cant stand it. Its disgusting.

Well well, to the snow-work ( takes 1,5 hours to do the yard By hand) and then to breath new life to bedroom/clothroom repair, since its not moist anymore given we woke up to 17F outside temp.
Old November 28th, 2016, 04:20 AM

Tis monday soooooooooooooooo
Old November 28th, 2016, 05:38 AM
CQR

Happy whacking Jamesbo.

Hope everyone has a great Monday.
Old November 28th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Smackem' good Jamesbo.

Feel better quick London.

Thought about going to the junkyard this morning after the Awful house, then walked out of the house without my tools. Eh, I'll go tomorrow.

Looks like we might get some rain today. Last rain we had was September. Haven't missed it.

Well I guess I need to find something to do. Have a good day everyone.
Old November 28th, 2016, 07:34 AM

Good evening.

Wasnt nice day. Best friend died yesterday, on car accident, hit a tree on icy road..
Only just over 30. We worked together for 5 years, and during that 5 years, i saw him more than my fiancee when taking time awake only to consideration. We knew what other was going to say before he even ended his sentence, and was changing Company together next summer.

What makes it even more sad, is that his brother died last winter to brain-tumor, and so did his dad years, years ago. He was only male from that family who was health. Now only mothers alive, and his yesteryear married wife, who also got miscarriage during last winter. One of the saddest stories ever..

Rest in peace my best friend.
Old November 28th, 2016, 10:01 AM

Inline, my condolences. Sorry for your loss.
Old November 28th, 2016, 03:16 PM

Inline, So sorry for your loss

WITH rue my heart is laden For golden friends I had,
For many a rose-lipt maiden And many a lightfoot lad.
By brooks too broad for leaping 5 The lightfoot boys are laid;
The rose-lipt girls are sleeping In fields where roses fade.
Old November 29th, 2016, 04:22 AM

Praise the lord it's raining
Old November 29th, 2016, 05:55 AM
CQR

300 acre Grassfire on the way home last night. Way too dry here.

My sincerest sympathies inline.

Have a Tuesday.
Old November 29th, 2016, 07:09 AM

Evening..

Thanks for empathy. Feels a bit empty now. We were talking with him all the time about american cars, hes the one who owned the black 72' Camaro i posted a pic at summer. Talked with him at sunday an hour before he died..

Oh well, life goes on.. To top the situation, "chimney cleaner" visited today. Law requires that chimneys are cleaned once a year, otherwise = no money from insurance Company if your house burns down.
Anyways, and i absolutely dare to admit this, he told ive been cheated about that chimney i earlier told, which was going to set me down 3500$. "Chimney-cleaner" man clearly showed me that there were just few minor issues, which can be fixed for under a 100$.
Funny thing, just last week they were talking about hoax chimney-repair mans at national radio-station.
He, the hoaxer, seemed to know his stuff, was very professional and so on.
So i believed him. Why wouldnt i believe when he tells it? Ive never cheated a customer when theyve asked from me, and that way turned ten's of thousands worth of income down. Since i wont start to cheat them, they do work for their money!
No-one cant be professional at every thing, thats why professionals are for. But for gods sake i cant stand cheaters. It SHOULD be part of your proudness as a Company leader or just plain worker to tell the truth as best as you can, not cheat customers to get money for nothing. Good luck for me, they havent yet "fixed" my chimney.

Well, that "chimney-cleaner" man, been doing his job for 15 years every day, so quess which one i believe? Well, i got so mad straight away i heard it, that i called our Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority right away. I got very clear instuctions how i can legally walk away from situation, even ive signed an deal.
Fast forwarding, i made an e-mail where i bringed every single thing to his ( hoaxer) knowledge, as a proof and demanted answer to e-mail from him to me. FCCA is also interested about his answer, they wanted me to forward his reply

Quess.... Is he answering to contacts now? Will see will they try to come do their job tomorrow and tell they havent read their e-mail at all. Thank god my work's over, im going to call cops straight away if hes trying that.

This is war.

Enough of me How's your day?

Have a nice tuesday-evening.

Last edited by Inline; November 29th, 2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old November 29th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain. Don't like it.

Awful sorry about your friend Inline.

I'll have to find something inside to do. It isn't raining right at the present, but everything is a muddy mess.

Last day off. Gotta get some groceries tonight, and get ready for the work week.

Have a good day everyone.
Old November 29th, 2016, 08:45 AM

Sunny and mild after a heavy rain last night. Fighting a nasty cold, missed work yesterday, which is rare for me, took some cold medicine and crashed from 2pm until 6pm last night. Not over it yet, but I don't like small paychecks.
Old November 29th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, all.... This is muggy even for da' Swamp. It hits you like a punch in da' face when you walk outside. Hope we can get some rain and get on with it.

Good news, Jamesbo~~! I hope they can get a few inches up by Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge. The latter is somewhere I've never been & probably won't just 'cause we don't travel much up there, and there are places higher on our "visit" list. But it's a place near & dear to just about all our friends up there -- including the owners of my beloved Heavenly Bake Shop.

My sincerest condolences on your loss, Inline.

Got a long laundry list today, so let me get to it.

Y'all have a great Tuesday, Olds buds.
Old November 29th, 2016, 06:14 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Tons of rain here today. Got soaked working. Not complaining, we really needed it here. I had hoped to get the Christmas lights up outside but I guess I'll need to wait for it to stop.

Inline - sorry to hear about your friend.

Clint - hope you get some rain soon.

Dan - hope you feel better.
Old November 29th, 2016, 09:13 PM

Morning.

Woke up at 4.30am to make some DELICIOUS meat stew at fireplace. Its in now.
Fast forward 12 hours, and its perfect.

Also sent new message to that hoaxer now when hes had time to think the situation. Im suggesting that the whole contract including one other job too will get turned down, and i wont publish his companys name. Some press-medias would be for sure interested of this case, since it ( false chimney-repairs) seems to be hot topic currently, and im not shamed to publicly show my name and face on press to promote them.

Well, more snow, so off i go to snow-work.

Good you guys are getting rain atlast.

Have a nice day all

Last edited by Inline; November 29th, 2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old November 30th, 2016, 12:54 AM

Me - Hoaxer 1-0.

Contract got turned down without penalty. Agreement was based to fact i wont bring the companys name up no-where. Thats tells everything for me about that Company, if agreement to turning down contract is based solely for me not bringing them to public knowledge.

Dont mess with my money. Now i can spend more to my car this winter
Old November 30th, 2016, 04:27 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Inline, Bummer deal about the cheat. I need to get a Sweep out for my chimney. haven't had one out for a long time. My Uncle was a Sweep for years. We have his Funeral on Saturday.

Darrell, Thanks. I suppose it'll be in the form of snow now but it is winter. It's 20F right now and not forecast to warm up soon.

Dan, hope you get to feeling better,

Have a humpday.
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:25 AM

Mawn'in all

Hallelujah More rain on the way

Clint, Ya know that goose ya didn't eat fer T-day. Jes tie a rope around it an lower it down the chimney. The flapping will clean it out really good

Inline, Glad ya got the "hoaxer" straight. I woulda used the word "Crook"

Speak'in of crooks, John how the retaining wall guy doing?

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old November 30th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all.... A little drizzling since yesterday and the fallen sky they predicted is over. Pretty much happens every time. Hope they're getting more in mountains, but I heard the sensationalist national news say this morning say that it was doing more harm than good?

Jamesbo, my crook ain't done nuttin' yet. He said he was going to pour the footings this week, but used the rain as an excuse. So the last promise he made (to have that part done by end of November) is falling by the wayside tonight -- just the same as his previous worthless promises fell. Need to get with Better Half this afternoon and plot our next move. Not averse to a little "honey" -- but our options are EXTREMELY limited. The guy is worthless; but I honestly think he doesn't get it. It's just hard to believe, since he's been doing what he's doing for over 30 years. No matter how logically and calmly we converse, he blames each problem on either us or some lame health excuse.

Glad at least you scored a point, Inline.

Get better soon, Dan!

Y'all have a great Humpity, Olds pals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; November 30th, 2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old November 30th, 2016, 08:52 AM

John, I got a "Wall job" once at a dealership.Took my car in, they parked it against a wall and when I came to get it.They had done absolutely nothing to it.
Old November 30th, 2016, 09:31 AM

Oh great, ive totally forgotten of John's wall job. Thats one great scam too.
Cant you turn that contract down?

Quess did i feel great to sit just a while ago over an hour on sauna with beer?
Now i know where heaven exist. Its on my yard Now im celebrating the situation with quality brandy.
Old November 30th, 2016, 09:44 AM

I'm feeling better folks, seems a couple of friends had the same thing. Clint, my condolences for the loss of your uncle. Got the new dryer in today, ordered on Sunday, installed today in the time frame that I requested. Home Depot should learn from that.
Old November 30th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work tonight. Boy it's been nice being off for the last 10 days. I can't access my work email from home anymore so I don't know what awaits me. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Lots of rain today. Like I figured, once it started it won't ever stop. Hope you all are happy. I haven't heard if it's raining in Gatlinburg, I feel bad for those people up there. The place is devastated.

Dan glad you're getting over your croup. Hope London is, too. I'd hate for either one of you to have to give birth.

Clint awful sorry about your uncle.

Something I've noticed. The carpeting has been gone for quite awhile in the "dining room" where one of the dogs lost control and I couldn't get the carpet clean. Well, right in front of the wood burning stove I've noticed the seams of the plywood floor are deforming and there's a ridge and a bit of a gap. Now, I know the stove is heavy, but I didn't think it would cause the floor to sag. I just noticed it a few weeks ago, and it's been here for probably 4 years. Should I go into the crawl space and prop it up? I'd hate for it to crash through the floor some time.

Okay gotta go. Hope everyone had a good Hump Day.
Old November 30th, 2016, 07:42 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Another soaker here today and temps in the 50's. We need it but I can't wait for the sun to come out tomorrow.

Was working on a customers car last night and one of the rocker arm nuts stripped and got stuck on the stud. It would just turn and turn and go nowhere. Took me a little while but I was able to cut one of the sides with a small cut off wheel and used my prybar to spread it and get it off. Goes under the heading of stupid things that go wrong and didn't plan on it.

Clint - sorry to hear about your uncle, my condolences.

Mike - it does sound like you need to brace the floor joists underneath the stove.

Dan - glad to hear you're feeling better.

John - sorry to hear about your contractor issue, hope you can get him to actually do what he is being paid to do.

Have a good night all.
Old November 30th, 2016, 10:46 PM

Good Morning.

Woke up to early christmas. Our capitals city council voted Guggenheim-"museum" down - for the 3rd time.. It seems to raise like a poop back in surface..
I personally have nothing against the museums themselfs, but in that case where we have cutted public aid's down By great amount due to worlds economy, that particular one would have required extensive participating for costs from public tax-payers money.
It didnt have even a change to break even at its yearly running expenses.

Well, now waiting for second christmas, if they decide to save that Helsinki-Malmi airport.

Clint - My condolences

Mike - Atleast here at our buildings, which are not build of concrete, there are massive concrete-plates around chimney on floor-level. Dont you have? Sounds pretty bad, even the smallest stoves weight quite a lot.

Well, have a great Christmas-month everyone, 1st of Dec. here. Fiancee is like small kids always at christmas, which is, have to say, pretty awesome to see someone be so happy.
Old December 1st, 2016, 03:37 AM

Mike, I'd put some steel under the stove to
1] spread the load over more floor joist
2[ keep your floor from catching on fire
3] provide more radiant heat to the house

Aluminum might werk too Hunt around for a piece of a tail section
GTG

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 1st, 2016, 09:14 AM

Long way walked from the starting situation, when there was no door to clothroom where you see it now, it was on corridor leading to that master bedroom.
And whats new on picture, was before just plasterboard, no insulation at all. Clothroom is on cold side, so you can quess bedroom got really cold at winter when it was leaking all the heat through that plasterboard.
Only minor jobs left anymore, day or two.

Ha, soon i can concentrate fully on my car.
Old December 1st, 2016, 09:16 AM
Captain Starfire

Nip in da' Swamp air... dropped about 35* b/w Wed. a.m. & Thu.; but still was only about 40; no frost on our pumpkins just yet.

Clint, so sorry to hear of your uncle. May St. Peter be waiting for him w/ open arms and a giant, gold-plated key.

Inline, you seem to have quite a few Christmases this year, you lucky guy.

Mike, hope you get that floor propped up. Jamesbo has an OK idea every now & again. Just don't use canopy material -- like the "jet-age plastic" they used to show getting shot up in Aerowax commercials when I knee-high to a grasshopper.

Y'all have a great Thursday, Olds hombres.
Old December 1st, 2016, 09:49 AM

John, w/o getting into too much of a religious discussion. If/when I go to a Catholic service, how in the wild wild world of sports do they know I'm not catholic and should fold my arms instead of taking communion.

If I get caught, What are they gonna do? Excommunicate me?

I'm a recovering Presbyterian and they always say, This table is welcome to all.
Old December 1st, 2016, 04:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

No rain but everything is still wet. That's because it's cold out and nothing will dry. Yuck.

Jamesbo I'm Presbyterian and I've taken communion at a Catholic mass. It isn't something I do regularly, but when in Rome... I even took communion when I was Best Man in an Episcopal wedding. I thought that was sort of odd.

The stove sits on a platform I build, which is covered in tile. So the floor isn't going to catch fire. I think I will go into the crawl space and put up a pole so the floor doesn't sag any more. Not sure what to use as a base. Fortified concrete maybe? Eventually I want to put tile down and don't want it to crack. I don't know what the stove weighs, but one guy brought it in on a hand truck.

Night 2. Last night wasn't too bad, considering it was Monday after vacation. Nothing too drastic had changed while I was gone, which is good.

Okay off I go. Hope everyone has a good evening. One more and it's the weekend.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:13 AM

Mawn'in

Inline, nice handy work.

Mike, If it were me, I'd span several floor joist, Not that I'm sure you like crawling around under your house as much as I do

Matter of fact, I got so tired of it, I built a basement out the back, took the fill dirt about 20 feet and built a retaing wall. Then I built a screen porch with an insulated roof under it so the pipes in the new basement wouldn't freeze. Smartest thing I ever did. So I can work on HVAC, pressure tank etc standing up.

I got the porch roof idea from the boat houses at the lake. Only hard part is getting a slope on the roof under a level porch floor.

London, Hope you're feeling better
Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:53 AM

Good Morning.

Thanks. Quit for this day now, already been on it for 7 hours. Only 1 more day and its ready minus surfaces. Drove my fiancee to work and did him some porridge at Morning.

Jamesbo, i have to admit, i have NO clue what are you talking about
If i understood anything, long story short you insulated your pipes coming and leaving the house
Old December 2nd, 2016, 05:08 AM

Inline let me try again

Picture and old farm house with a crawl space door in the underpenning.
get it, got it, good

Now picture me digging a hole next to the house and moving the dirt to a slope in the back yard. [and building a retiang wall there]

Then I lined the hole with cement blocks, put a drain in the middle and pour a concrete floor.

Going up, I put in and upside down roof sloping towards the back of the house that is insulated under the metal roof. The roof slopes toward the floor joist which have weep holes in it to let the water out.
Then I put on another floor and built a screened in porch on top of that.

So, when it rains in the porch, the water runs thru the porch floor onto the under roof and out the weep holes in the floor joist
Old December 2nd, 2016, 05:38 AM

Ah got it now! Clever idea indeed. Could actually do that same thing at here under terrace to prevent rain eating the land under terrace against the house. That would solve one problem. Thanks for idea!
Old December 2nd, 2016, 09:36 AM

There ya go Jamesbo, international bridge building...do you want a job in the new administration?
Old December 2nd, 2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
There ya go Jamesbo, international bridge building...do you want a job in the new administration?

I'd be ashamed to admit, I werked fer the guv-ment
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:39 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold. But no rain. Work was good last night, worked with the same guy as the night before, we had a pretty good time. My buddy will be back tonight, it should be a hoot.

Jamesbo I can stand up in about half of the crawl space. I have a walk out basement so half of the "ground floor" is the crawl space. No idea why the builder didn't do a full basement. Do you have any pictures of your basement addition? I'd like to do something like that when I dig out the foundation, but can't decide on how to do it.

So here is something political. We made our first flight to Cuba today in 55 years. I know a guy that flew with the plane as maintenance. There is no viable aircraft maintenance in Havana so he went with the plane and came right back. He's going to do that for a few days. Hm. Maybe Havana will be on the bid soon.

Well night 3 quickly approaches. Hope everyone has a good weekend and stays warm.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 12:07 AM

Good Morning.

Was on stand-up show yesterday evening, fiancee got free tickets from Company he works. Was pretty lame partly, we have much better conversations at work

And alot snow rained today already, and promises to rain to the evening.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:47 AM

Mawn'in

Headed norte dis mawn'in

Mike, I don't have pic cause nost of it is covered up, but I'd be happy to help ya design whatever ya need

BTW I went to Cuba in 1977 to murder patos and palomas at an old hunting club Batista had set up when he was the boss. Beautiful place

London, Ya feel'in any better?

Have a wonderful weekend Olds friends