The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2016, 10:52 PM

Good Morning. Rainy. So no garage-day today either. Gah..

Well, have a nice day everyone, and have a good vacation slantflat!
Old November 20th, 2016, 05:50 AM

Mike, I bet you're glad ya got de gas turned on this mawn'in

Headed back home to meet a family in need

have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old November 20th, 2016, 06:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Didn't do too bad, got home around 2. Had several planes we just had some paperwork to do, a total non-stress night. Only got down to around 40 but there was some wind at the airport, made things a little chilly.

Gonna work on the deuce and a half today. Hope I can get the accessory switch out and see if that's my problem. That switch is at the top of the dash and behind structure, which makes it fairly hard to get to. Hope it warms up tomorrow, I need to wash the car so it's clean for my trip.

Well I guess I'll get going. Might do the Awful house for lunch. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old November 20th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Captain Starfire

Yep, thar's been a nip in the mountain air... We saw 30 on the thermo-meter last night, and they're saying lower than that tonite. But there's not a spec of smoke in the air, so I don't care if it would even snow -- at least for now. We're fortunate the smoke of last Saturday & Sunday is moving in somebody else's direction. In fact, Friday thru today have been just plain gorgeous. Just wish we could get a few inches of rain to quench these fires.

Mike, good luck w/ the deuce & half. Jamesbo, hope the family does well with your services. I guess some do better than others.

We've been walking or hiking every day since Mike left and decided to play around the house today. Had recycling thru the wazoo to get straightened out, and better half is still packing stuff we came into possession of from Uncle Bob, who sold his house in Hayesville over a year ago. She got the last box of ap-cray packed to send him; so I'll have my full 2-car garage back now. Will start playing with a couple pieces of old furniture tomorrow -- which I've been procrastinating on (my favorite past-time) for months.

Clint & Dan, hope y'all are dealing with the snow OK... i know Gene in Bellaire got pummeled over the weekend. Sorry about the family stuff, Dan. And also about your friend in hospice, Clint. That's kinda' rough. I wish I had mo' better stuff to share mit y'all, but I've been hearing my share of negative stuff lately, too; I'll just sit on it for the time being.

Looks like we'll be eating Thanksgiving dinner at a neighbor's house, but I'm not thinkin' the'rein my league as far as cooking a bird; so I'll just grin & bear it. The company will hopefully be good. (It better be.)

We canceled Windstream after spending almost a week trying to get them to turn our rip-off cable package back on. Truly the worst bunch I've ever had the displeasure of working with. They truly don't care. So we haven't had any TV this whole visit. I miss certain things, but it gives us the opportunity to watch some real entertainment, like our Beverly Hillbillies and Star Trek DVDs, not to mention Highway Patrol.

Met with the lunatic retaining wall guy Wednesday and he's been so kind as to promise he'll restart work on our job at end of this month. How nice can you get? This is the 3rd time he's made the promise, so we're not getting too excited. The loon actually blames us for the whole situation. Talk about a distorted sense of reality. He's got our money since July & we have no retaining walls; but it's our fault. Gotcha.

Whelpt, y'all have a great week, Olds friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; November 20th, 2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old November 21st, 2016, 03:03 AM

Chili ***** but still dry

Time to put my long handles on an go smack whitey

John, I've got Dish TV in the mountains and Windstream internet service

Having had one disagreemment in the mountains before I found the right people, I'll give ya a word to the wise. It's a no win situation, everybody has a cousin that's a judge, lawyer, mayor, county commissionee etc. Or as my dad used to say, Ya catch more files with honey than vinegar

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:05 AM

Good day. Rain rain, and rain.
Boring.. Well, tomorrow is garage-day, and im already waiting for it! Something to do.
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:05 AM
CQR

mornin all.

I'm tired of being negative. So we got the kid moved into her new place. She sure seems happy about it.

Looking forward to a short week. Also looking forward to maybe getting some honey do's done. last snow is gone, round 2 is spose to start tomorrow.

Have a day all.
Old November 21st, 2016, 06:22 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Been to the Awful house and back already. Chilly out, gotta wait till it warms up to do anything outside. Funny, it's 40* out, up home this time of year 40 is a heat wave.

Clint I must have been chasing squirrels, I didn't know your kid was moving out. Close by? Gone to school? There's always facebook.

John I guess "hey-soos" was not as accommodating as he seemed on the phone. I'd love to kick my cable company to the curb but then I'd have to run to the library 10 times a day to look at the internet.

So lately I've had this thing that I want a car that's 100 years old. Or close, so I can have it when it turns 100. I remember years ago (like 30) when Mercedes turned 100, I thought wow, how a can a car be that old.

Okay gotta do something. Happy Monday everyone.
Old November 21st, 2016, 02:10 PM

Evening all

Another day another airport. Just got back from Milan, Italy where I took my boy for his birthday to see the Milan soccer derby, AC v Inter. The Italian fans are crazy with flares smoke pellets and thunder crack firework. Great experience though. Only trouble we had was finding a taxi after the match, it took 3 hours to get back to the hotel.
For those of you that know Milan, it's the fashion capital of Europe with all the makes you can think of. For some weird reason I said the my better half to go and buy something nice so I gave her my credit card and told her to be sensible. Big mistake. She bought a dress for the same price as a two year old mid size car. How stupid am I, don't answer that!
My tribunal case actually finished last Friday but now we have to wait for the judgement which can take up to 8 weeks. The papers have printed a full page report on the case and have made me sound really bad so I'm keeping a low profile in town. It's so unfair they can talk about all the allegations when there has been not one shred of proof. I'm sure I will win the case but the mud that's been thrown sticks.

Anyway that means another couple of months at home so more decorating is the order of the day. One thing this case has done has given me a really clean and smart looking house.
Keep smiling x
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:01 PM

Good Morning.

Oh...

LondonCutlass - I started to laugh straight at the point where you told you give your credit card..... That was best story for a while, thanks for sharing
But, Milano is nice city. Actually i like whole Italia. Lot of good memories.
Next summer were btw going to drive to Dubrovnik with Cutlass. Should be superb trip. 2 days driving and were there.

Well, garage day at last, gonna take my rear completetely down, clean it and give a first layer of paint on it. Then taking axles to home for hydr.press and install wheel bearings. Damn im still shamed about my stupid, stupid question about non c-clip axles, somehow i had just totally missed they exist, and was completetely lost for a while.. And i damn idiot went and asked about it...
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:30 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili but still dry

London, When I was 20 I used to care about what people thought about me. When I turned 40 I stopped caring. When I turned 60 I realized they weren't thinking about me in the first place.

John, Any wet stuff up there yet?

My understanding is they're using "Super Scoopers" out lake Fontana in N.C.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...c&action=click

You A.T. hikers should know Lake Fontana as the home of the Fontana Hilton {nicest shelter on the whole A.T.

Family coming dis mawn'in

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:11 AM

Evening.

Had a fun time with car today, got rear down, cleaned it, and started to paint it.
3 more times i go to paint it, and then its ready for assembling the truetrac and new gears. Next week its hopefully done, and maybe even under the car again.

Well, have a good day everyone!
Old November 22nd, 2016, 08:23 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got a late start but it was a productive morning. Got my hair cut, got the car washed, paid the light bill. All this after the Awful house of course.

You know what's funny Jamesbo, when I was 20, or before, I was worried because people weren't thinking about me. I've come to learn that can be a good thing.

Think I'll spend some time on the black truck today. I should take it to Florida with me, but there's no need to and it gets about 1/4 the gas mileage the car does.

Okay have a good day everyone.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 12:06 PM
Captain Starfire

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I'll give ya a word to the wise. It's a no win situation, everybody has a cousin that's a judge, lawyer, mayor, county commissionee etc. Or as my dad used to say, Ya catch more files with honey than vinegar
Thanks, Jamesbo; but we offered honey for more than 3 months and all it did was attract more bees.... This is war now.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:13 PM

Good Morning. Painting day #2. Also need to grind old bearings off from axles, and install new ones.

Nothing else. Forecasts promise winter is coming back, starting from sunday. Thats a good thing, hate when its so moist outside. And on old wooden house you can feel it inside too, which is pretty weird, since the inside temp is the same as always.

Have a good day everyone.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 05:53 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Happy thanksgiving.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:30 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house and taking the dog to jail. She wasn't very happy that's for sure. I felt bad. This is the first time she's there by herself.

So now it's off to Florida. Anyone that hasn't been to the Turkey Rod Run really needs to go. It's huge.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, be back this weekend.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:44 AM

Evening.

Why everything have to fall apart at the same time?
Was painting my rear, and took a good look to my axles at the same time.
Noticed another axle had new bearing, okay. Clean it from oil -> the whole shaft is pitted, sealing surface is bad. Now im looking for new/ used axle. Just wondering should i buy used axle to repair it, or just buy new ones... Gah.. My luck..
Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:39 AM

Cooking, cooking, cooking

Happy T day Olds friends
Old November 23rd, 2016, 10:55 PM

Made a chocolate pecan pie for T-day, gonna bring ice cream to go with it. Have a good one everybody.
Old November 24th, 2016, 03:39 AM

Guess who's coming to dinner?

About 6 more than said they were yesterday. with the stores closed, this coulf br interesting.................I think I should feed them fish and bread
Old November 24th, 2016, 06:29 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Happy Turkey Day Oldsmofriends
Old November 24th, 2016, 08:07 AM

Good afternoon all

Just want to wish all my friends over the pond a very happy Thanksgiving.

Hands up who will be consuming the most calories!!
Old November 24th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Captain Starfire

A great Thanksgiving and safe travels to all Olds friends!
Old November 24th, 2016, 08:25 AM

Good evening.

Another day at the vacation. Misery and agony due to cars

Have a good day everyone, be it thanksgiving for some of us.
Old November 24th, 2016, 09:24 AM
GM Enthusiast

Hi everyone, Happy Thanksgiving to all my Oldsmofriends!
Old November 24th, 2016, 11:49 PM

Mornings- last layer of paint to axle housing, and its ready for installing the stuff inside.

Started to snow again, winters coming back. Thats nice.

Have a good day everyone.
Old November 25th, 2016, 04:32 AM

Lived thru it w/o killing any relatives. Musta been a good T-day
Old November 25th, 2016, 05:55 AM
CQR

Morning.

Starving. Musta stretched out the gut yesterday.

Have a great leftover Friday.
Old November 25th, 2016, 09:08 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all... Glad no fracases yesterday among our members. ;-)
Nudder nice one in da' hills.
Clint, you ain't alone!
See y'all....
Old November 25th, 2016, 11:02 PM

Good Morning.

Wow, winters back! 2...3 inches snowed during night. Great!! I like winter as long as its white and i can look it through window inside warm house

Weekend, wifeys on work.

By the way, what is correct word, i dont know and havent found it;
when i speak about "wifey", were "engaged" but not married yet in church, which is due to change next summer tho. Thats why ive always added "y" behind. Thanks.

Sounds like Jamesbo has as good relatives as i have..... From the comment "noone get killed"

Well, have a good weekend everyone!
Old November 26th, 2016, 03:20 AM

Chili and still dry

Dishes finally done, only took a day

Inline, The reason ya can't find the word is in English we use the french word, "Fiancee" in the south we'd say "Fix'in to get hitched" as in hook up a trailer to your car. [A VERY HEAVY trailer I might add]

Enjoy de day Olds friends
Old November 26th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. The Turkey Rod Run was HUGE! What a good time. Many Oldsmobiles, lots of Corvairs, a few Valiants, and pretty much anything you wanted to see. Nice to spend time with the friends I hadn't seen since last year's show. Got home about 3 this morning.

Already been to the Awful house and got the dog. She seemed to do okay, now she's running around the house like she's never been here before. Well, she probably has a swiss cheese memory so that's okay.

Lots of stations playing Christmas music so that was nice to listen to in the car. I am truly filled with the spirit. Oh I'm full of it...

Okay lets see what I can get into to get back in the swing. Have a great weekend everyone.
Old November 26th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Always room for one more

Okay I'm waiting for my girl to eat her supper and have been spending quality time on the internet. No I couldn't say that out loud with a straight face.

Anyway, there's a 1956 Olds 88 I've been wanting to go look at for awhile, and just never have. It's been for sale forever, it's by my Mom's house. I've been reading up on the differences between the Super 88 and the regular 88. This car has the Super bits on the outside, but seems to have the regular interior. Also the price seems a little high, but I really don't know my 50s cars like I should.

So if anyone has as much time as I seem to, have a look and tell me what you think. I'm guessing it will be there in a couple weeks when I go to visit my Mom.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/5880137007.html

And now back to yard work.
Old November 26th, 2016, 03:45 PM

Mike, is that Tedd Thompson that has the '56 on the site? He might be a bit of help in looking at that '56. As an added note to that ad, if he has the original paperwork, then it should show that it is a Super 88.

Last edited by 1969w3155; November 26th, 2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old November 26th, 2016, 08:34 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Glad to hear everyone survived family and friends over Thanksgiving. We didn't have that many guests, but my in laws were here for 9 days and are heading home tomorrow. No one killed each other so I guess that's the good thing.

Mike - I agree about the Christmas spirit, I'm not there yet either. But I do see your looking to possibly buy yourself a present in the form of a 56 Olds. Guess that will put you in the spirit in a hurry!

Night all.
Old November 27th, 2016, 12:17 AM

Good Morning.

Wow, that 56' is fabulous. Always loved those. And looks pretty solid at pictures. Just was wondering, no pictures underneath..?

More snow during the night! And its promising 14F to next week, so winter is prolly really starting now. Remembering how last winter, when outside temp stayed at under -22F for over a week, we had just 54F at bedroom. Old house Fiancee wasnt too excited about it
It was warm at the living-floor, but our bedroom is upstairs.

Oh, thanks for explaining the correct word Jamesbo!

Have a good sunday everyone.

Last edited by Inline; November 27th, 2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:43 AM

Chili and still no rain

Inline, i don't see how ya can stand that kinda cold

John, Glad you're not in the quarter, Some Gramlin dudes got in a shoot out

Mike, I'd be a little careful with a Fla car. Count the huricanes that have hit the panhandle since 1956

GTG

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old November 27th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Frost last night. Hopefully that does it for the fleas and ticks and wasps.

Jamesbo I'm gonna do just that. I don't know why but I have a feeling the guy with the 88 is a jerk. So that would be more negotiating ammo. I need another car like I need a hole in the head. Eh, that hasn't stopped me yet. Dan Tedd Thompson has a 55. Doubt there's very much difference.

Darrell when John comes back he will no doubt tell us that's actually a line from Seinfeld. Seriously, I could listen to Christmas music all year.

Well the Awful house awaits. Think I'll do some work over at the shop today. Not going to warm up much. Firewood is at the ready. Have a good day everyone.
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Captain Starfire

Chilly Swamp mernin'... felt cool as da' hills. Had an uneventful trip home yesterday-- which translates, "excellent." We decided to leave a tad early and we stopped at our fave breakfast jernt in Blairsville (Sawmill Place) and was not disappointed. Then we just stopped for gas & other requisite activities. Kitties -- although a but too vocal for too long -- fared OK.

Mike & Darrell, all I can say is that the '56 Olds would make a great Festivus gift; but Mike, I agree his price is high. They guy obviously has nothing better to be doing with his time, and has very little to lose. If it were a coupe, I'd say his price would be about fair. But a lot of folks don't want the 4-dr's (including myself).

Whelpt, I guess as far as the media and the commercial establishment are concerned, it's already Christmas. But I'm in a fightin' mood, so they can go take a flying fling. Today's the first day of Advent.

Inline, I have an explanation that's just a bit more direct than Jamesbo's: "Wifey" = "Wife." However, you don't have to me married in church to have a wife. So maybe you were already married in what's known on this side as a "civil ceremony," and are now awaiting the "religious" service?

Anyhoots, have a great rest o' weekend, Olds friends. And let's kick some L.A. butt in the Superdome today.