The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another nice day here, a little overcast and that's fine. I think other parts of the metro area are getting rain but so far none here.

Got out of work around 5 this morning, then napped in my car until 6 when I went in and failed my hearing test. Now, I had a problem with my left ear years ago but this time they decided to big deal it. Have to have a retest. If I fail that I have to go to an audiologist, who will decide why I have hearing loss. Balderdash, I already know. I don't have time for all this.

Clint, or anyone else for that matter, I'm looking at a backhoe. We may have had a similar conversation about this. It's a Ford 4500 3 cyl diesel, backhoe/endloader, runs like brand new(sellers words). He wants 8K for it. Nothing to look at. Is that a good price for one of those? What about 5500 for a similar MF? A Bobcat would be easier to keep but I really need the backhoe.

And Clint safe trip to Chicago. Have some pizza at Giordano's.

Allan I need to get to the junkyard as well. I haven't been there in a couple months. The place I go is all on gravel, the cars are up on stands and arranged by "make." GM, Ford, Chryslers, and imports. There's a spot in the middle for really old or odd stuff. I walk the whole place and see every car.

I feel bad, John. I had an elderly aunt once, pretty much the same deal. She was at least 150 years old. She couldn't live alone anymore, went to a nursing home which she hated, and told everyone. She hated everyone but liked me so I'd travel up to Illinois to see her as often as I could.

Good luck at the shows this weekend, Sandy. You ever drive Teepo to work?

I went to a metal place and ordered some metal for the dogs' room. If they can get through this then I'm done. Maybe I can get some titanium from work.

Well the weekend is upon us. Hope everyone has a terrific long weekend.
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:59 PM

Ah yes, Borax, Mom always had a box in the laundry room, and when I was real young we had the hand soap also. That's also what's in Terro, the ant killer that Jamesbo recommended a couple of years ago, best ant killer that I have ever used (thanks).
Old August 31st, 2013, 05:59 AM

Mawn'in all

Gonna be a hot one today wit clean skies

Found de last dehumidifier in dis neck of de woods yesterday at Casa De Pot. Paid fer it so I gotta go pick it up dis mawn'in

Mike, How 'bout a track hoe?

BTW Not hear'in has sum advantages. Oh dat's right you ain't hitched.

GTG Olds friends Enjoy de long weekend
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:22 AM
Always room for one more

'Morning everybody.

Just got back from the Awful house and Walmart. Awful house was busy but there were more workers than customers. The manager is a good guy, but I don't think really knows what he's doing. He barks out orders and everyone ignores him. Oddly, the work gets done anyway.

Oh Lord, Jamesbo a trackhoe? There wouldn't be a tree in sight. I'd start in on my work and keep going. Might keep my neighbors quiet, the minute they started yapping about my stuff I'd fire that thing up and point it right at their house.

I got a tool catalog in the mail from Summit Racing that has what appears to be a 70 W30 being restored on the cover. What caught my eye was the Olds wheels that are half sandblasted. The front half of the wheels is red, but the back half is gold. Hm.

Got some rearranging to do in the yard today. Oh boy a reason to start up the Deuce. Don't know if it's going to rain today(I heard it might) so I need to make it count.

Well it's freak fest in town this weekend. Good place not to be. The Woman With Whom I'm Supposed To Be In a Relationship is in town with all her hobbit costumes. Nary a word from her. I haven't heard from her in over a year. Perhaps I'll concoct a nice message for her on facebook. She loves facebook all that social media stuff.

Okay here I go. Have a good one everybody.
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

What a beautiful morning! Blue skies, gentle breeze and forecast highs around 75. Rained again last night but not a gully washer like the night before. Guess I'll need to tend to the yard again soon as everything continues to grow like a weed.

Mike - if you buy a track hoe, you can circle your yard with a trench and fill it to make a moat! Then all ya need is a draw bridge to keep peeps and dogs in/out. What an interesting description:
The Woman With Whom I'm Supposed To Be In a Relationship
. You should post that on FB and see what kind of response it gets. Hobbit costumes? Hmmm, maybe walk away from this one...

Clint - hope the trip is going well. Be careful on this long weekend. The police will be out in force looking for idiot drivers (not a hard job IMO). Stay away from both.

Jim - wutchu need a dehumidifier for? I thought you had AC?

Dan - good tip on the Borax, I didn't know it was good for getting rid of ants. They always seem to come out in force when it's wet.

Time to go soak up some sunlight and then work on the car. Tonight is burrito night! Graeme will love that. He can pack away more than I ever imagined. Ha! not hard when you're still a growing young man. He says he's growing - again. Probably so, but I hope it stops soon. I think he's up to 6'4" now.
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:58 AM

Allan wit all de rain we've had ya need a little help gett'ing de dankness out.

Casa de Pot and Lowe's are totally outa 2 things Dehumidifies and those little dougnut things ya put in ponds to kill mosquitos.

It's jes been a crazy wet summer
Old August 31st, 2013, 05:14 PM

Good evening everyone.

Nothing new here, just keeping busy with work and car stuff.

Thanks for all the opinions on the 350 vs. 455 debate.

The rain passed through here too last night, pretty strong at times.

Originally Posted by slantflat
Paul I've got plenty of ideas. How many of them ever get done remains to be seen.
Oh, I know exactly what you mean.

Need to get caught up again. I fall behind so quickly in this thread.

Enjoy the rest of your long weekend everyone!
Old August 31st, 2013, 05:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Got a smokin deal at the bone yard. The grill on my wife's Saturn (SL1) got broken in the winter (cracked 2 mounting tabs and split the lower dam area). Found one on a 97 SW2 that was mint!
GM price: about 50.00
Pick n pull price: 21.00 + enviro + tax
Weekend special at PNP: 1/2 price
What I paid: $2.74

Woooo hooooo!! Mike, ya paying attention?? Woooo hoooo!!!!

BTW changing out that grill is a 15 minute job tops.
Old September 1st, 2013, 05:18 AM
Always room for one more

Happy September everyone.

Boy am I sore. I got the smashed F85 up on the trailer yesterday. Two hours of cranking the come-along and having to reset it every two feet. At least now it will be easier to get parts off it. Except the engine. I wanted to keep the engine, as it runs fairly well. I don't have any need for it, though. Anyone here want a 330 and ST300?

Allan I'm confused as to what you are calling the grille on your Saturn. My Saturn just has a small panel between the headlights, and the intake is molded in bars in the lower half of the bumper.

I'm off to the Awful house then the junkyard, since I didn't make it there yesterday. I doubt I find any smokin' deals, but it will be fun to look. It's nice out today, but rain is coming this afternoon.

"Wake me up, when September ends." Have a good day everyone.
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:08 AM

Mawn'in all

Nice dis mawn'in but feels kinda like it's gonna get wet

Mike, If ya had a track hoe ya coulda get pulled de car up on de trailer. Reset de chain an yank de engine.

Please not how I'm not comment'in on your "woman whom I spose to be in a relationship " I'm stay'in outa family matters

Allan, Nice score

Sandy, Congrats a-gain
Old September 1st, 2013, 09:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Helloooo Sunday! Nice ta see ya smilin down on us!

Going to be just beautiful here today with a high forecast around 80. Blue skies and gentle breezes. Lovely, just lovely. Nice and quiet too at least till I go out and fire up the compressor and air tools.

Mike - On the Saturn the grill is made of plastic and is at the lower part of the bumper where the air openings are. It's still a good description. I'll take some pics of the work in progress and post em here for ya so you can see what I'm talking about. I don't think I could post it anywhere else on this site without some peeps getting ticked that it's a Saturn thread in an Oldsmobile site.

Well, hope everyone has a great Sabbath and fair skies prevail. Only today and tomorrow left for the long weekend.
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
Always room for one more

Allan I still can't picture it. My car is at the airport or I'd go out and look. There must have been two dozen Saturn SL's at the junkyard today. Don't worry, when the Saturn first came out everyone thought they were Oldsmobiles anyway.

Still nice out, I'm gonna go pull parts off my parts car. I hate having my trailer tied up. I don't have any immediate plans for it but it's nice to have it at the ready. After yesterday's workout I'm stepping up the new trailer looking so I can install my winch.

Jamesbo you may be on to something. This one for only 8500.

Old September 1st, 2013, 10:53 AM

Mike, Er I was think'in of one a might smaller
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:11 AM

Alright Mike, I gotta ask....just how much property do you have? Cuz, like, you have a lot of vehicles (one rather large), just curious.
Old September 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Special Presentation - Saturn Grills - for Mike

Boy my plans turned out different than I thought they would. On the agenda was replacing the Saturn grill and I thought that would be a simple 20 minute job. Not so lucky. This procedure requires removal of the headlamp pods and bumper cover. Getting the parts off is easy. What you need: 7mm wrench, 10 mm socket and long extension, plastic rivet removal tool.

Remove the headlamp bolts (4x10 mm). This is so you can access the side marker lights and undo them. Then undo the (6) 7mm bumper cover bolts, they were rusty and the clips started falling apart. That means a trip to the supply store for new bolts and clips. Got some good ones that make the GM ones look like crap. These are nice and solid - phosphate coated and 'strong like bull'. They are 8 mm compared to the 7 mm GM (rusty) on right.

Undo the 4 rivets on the bottom of the bumper cover, and the 3 at the top by the hood release. Now pull the bumper cover straight forward and then tilt down. I was not surprised. The entire grill fell out. It was only floating along in there attached to nothing. That would explain why the bumper seemed to move around so much when I was washing the car. Now remove the (3) 10 mm flange nuts that hold the grill in place.

When the grill fell out, so did one of the cover mounting brackets. It was rusty and so was the other one. I media blasted them and painted them cast - they look like new, just a different color

Before media blasting.

After media blasting and baking in the sun for half hour. Also note they are idiot proof? Clearly marked for left and right side.

So comparing the 2 grills, I decided that I couldn't in all good consciousness just put a dirty part into the car. I washed and degreased the replacement grill and then compressed air dried it. Scuff lightly with scouring pad and paint with a new plastic trim paint product. Looks good. Install is a breeze. Put grill in place and hold with one hand. Start all 3 flange nuts and tighten. I used a bit of WD 40 to lube the bolts and mounting studs.

Installation of the bumper cover - reverse of removal. First install the (6) new clips on the bumper cover. It goes easier replacing the cover with 2 people so I asked Graeme to help. 30 seconds later it's on. To make the install go a little easier I cleaned the metal posts the cover attaches to and put on some lithium grease to let it slide in better. (you don't have to do this - I decided to do it because the posts had a bit of corrosion on them and I figured the grease would also protect against more happening. Install the 6 bumper cover bolts, 3 upper hood release. Then 3 plastic rivets on the grill attach it to the center of the bumper cover. Finally press in the 4 lower bumper cover rivets.

Reinstall the headlights and tighten down the 4 10 mm screws. Keep those screws in the right order - they're different for outboard/inboard.

So Joanne's car is now back together and good as new. The front end is much more solid. I told her it would run better too now that it's not afraid of being smacked again. I don't know what she hit but dang, she did a good job!

And that Mike, is the Saturn grill on a 96/97 Saturn (SL1 or SL2). What was supposed to be 20 minutes ended up taking 2 hours. But it's done

After that I got some wrenching on the Cutlass done - brake lines now installed front to back, and trans cross brace bolted back in with new bolts/nuts. The old ones were not re-usable. Then it was time to do the yard work in the hot sun... time for a cold brewski! Cheers all!
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:13 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Hope you all are enjoying the weekend so far. Been busy catching up on yardwork and selling some stuff on Craigslist. Sold my son's crib/bed today, and still trying to sell my Eldorado. Hope that will move out soon. Always nice to add some $$$ in my pocket.

Allan - isn't that the way most of these jobs are? It'll only take me 15 minutes.......1 hour later, still not done. I'm sure when you're done it will be mint.

Have a good night Oldsmofriends.
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
isn't that the way most of these jobs are? It'll only take me 15 minutes.......1 hour later, still not done..
Darrell I hear ya big time. If I didn't care about doing a good job I could have 'faked' it together and been done in 20 minutes. That's just not how I roll though. It's done and Joanne took it to work. The sad part is you'd never know by looking that the repair was done. I know though and I feel better knowing it's back to the way the factory built it (only better).

Thanks for the kind words.

What kind of Eldo? I saw one in the boneyard - a 75 with a 500 CID. I checked the door sticker and that monster weighed in at 6661 lbs GVWR!!! I think it could compete with Mikes new M35 for mileage. Sure loved those dream boats back in the day.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mawnin All

Had a wonderful time on the redneck riviera. The Flora-Bama never disappoints and the weather was stellar. Saw a water spout yesterday morning right outside the condo. The seafood was second to none as well as the the southern hospitality. I will post up some pics when I get a chance to upload them.

Well "455 Olds 442" has been in touch with me and he has Col Wickham's old car!

I hope everyone has a safe Labor Day.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM

Glad ya had fun Scot,

Golf got rained out
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Monday Monday - I love Monday's....

Absolutely beautiful this morning. Blue sky, about 68 going to a high of around 80 and gentle breezes. Perfect day to work on the Cutlass. I'm looking outside at some of the trees in the back and they are starting to turn a beautiful gold color.

Scot - missed you bro! Good to hear you had a good time and enjoyed the seafood. I love seafood, even some of the raw stuff; as in Sushi. So Col's car is still around and kicking - that's a good thing.

Jim - whack, whack, whack........slice.....divot....whack.....curses.. ....splash.....I love that game.

Hope Clint is having a good time in Chicago.

Just washed my coveralls so they'll be toasty warm and ready in about 15 minutes. Time to go wrenching.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:37 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Glad ya had fun Scot,

Golf got rained out
Thanks Jim Sorry bout da water logged whitey wackin contest.
Originally Posted by Allan R
Monday Monday - I love Monday's....

Absolutely beautiful this morning. Blue sky, about 68 going to a high of around 80 and gentle breezes. Perfect day to work on the Cutlass. I'm looking outside at some of the trees in the back and they are starting to turn a beautiful gold color.

Scot - missed you bro! Good to hear you had a good time and enjoyed the seafood. I love seafood, even some of the raw stuff; as in Sushi. So Col's car is still around and kicking - that's a good thing.
Glad to hear the weather is great up there Al. My Father-In-Law is up that way somewhere in Alberta. He said it was quite chilly where he was.

Yeah I missed all my Oldsmobuds as well because my cell, laptop and any other gadget used to get in touch with me was tucked neatly away to get 100% into vay-kay mode I can probably count only about 10-15 items on the menu that I won't eat And that's worldwide. I'll try anything once and if I like it I'll order it again. I did try some super duper extra quadruple hot wings at the Hurricane Grill. They were of the coconut habanero flavor and pretty good. They were supposed to be 4 out of 5 on the heat scale with 5 being the "Consume At Your Own Risk!" level, but I'd give them a 2. They were excellent tasting though.

Well I've got to get the mower troubleshot, it wouldn't crank Thursday and it isn't the battery, so it's either a safety switch or the solenoid. Then the governor is acting up too, but that's a whole nother issue.

Oh well ttfn
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Always room for one more

Well goodness gracious. It's that time again.

First of three tonight. Beautiful evening. Hope everyone enjoyed their long weekend.

Yesterday I was working out front, and things clouded over and started to thunder. I still had a couple things to do before I came in so I went in and put the dogs in their room. I watched as my girl jumped four feet up to the top of the plywood that was in front of the window and tried to climb over it. After I told her no a couple times I didn't see her again, but when I went in saw she has started digging up the carpet in the corner of the room. I guess she thought China would be a better place to be. So now the plywood is screwed to the wall completely covering the window, and a couch is in the corner. That only means she'll try something different.

Scot glad you had a good time eating seafood. I, on the other hand, am a big fan of see-food.

Darrell one of the cars I want is a 75 or 76 Eldorado convertible. It's about as big as the Deuce so I don't know if I'd have room. But they sure are purty.

I think I have about 1.5 acres here, and about half of that is woods. Everything is crammed into the front. It looks awful. I'm slowly working on the woods, getting some trees down so I have a little more room. I mean, I'm paying taxes on that land I might as well get some use out of it.

Allan as always your work is top notch. I had no idea that part was up under there. No wonder that car has lasted with the care you give it.

Okay a short trip outside with the dogs and it's time to go. Hope everyone has a good evening and your short week starts out good.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:48 PM

Good afternoon everyone.

I need to get this post in before Sandy does, because I'm sure that Teepo has won yet another well deserved award.

But now we can add another car to the list of CO award winners

Attachment 168755

Had a great day at the show today. It started out cloudy this morning looking like it could rain any time. Throughout the day it was cloudy and looked like it could rain any time. And on the way home... It rained!

At another show yesterday, I was cleaning the car when I noticed a visitor sitting on the centre cap.

Attachment 168756

Scot, good to hear you took a nice relaxing holiday.

Allan, great deal on those parts. Nice work on the bumper.

Have a great week everyone.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:59 PM

But now we can add another car to the list of CO award winners
Kudos to you! Did you tell Sandy: Nyah, nyah, nyah?
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:23 PM
GM Enthusiast

Howdy everyone. Hope you all enjoyed the weekend. Can't believe summer's officially over already.

Allan/Mike - I'm selling a 84 Eldorado Touring Coupe. Rare car, only 1 of 815 made. It's so clean and unmolested, but it suffers from the crappy 80's GM paint jobs with the paint cracking all over the place. With how mint the car is, it's just a paint job away from competing with Teepo for trophies. Wish I did not have to sell it, but I could use the space and $$$ since my business has not started to generate that much income yet.

Scot - sounds like you had a great vacation. Post some pics of the area when you get a chance. Hey BTW, any evidence of oil damage from the spill or does everything seem to be back to normal?

Car_designer - congrats on the win today! Guess you're going to need to get advise from Sandy on building a large trophy case.

Have a great night Oldsmofriends.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:07 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening All!

What a busy weekend! It was humid as all get out, temps in the 80's. Rain all around at any time, sun out ocassionally. Sure doesn't feel like I've had 4 days off. Guess I can rest at work this week, lol.

Congrats Paul!! Well done and well deserved!!! Yes.... I hate to say it, but Teepo got trophies at both shows this weekend. We went to a nice show in Hiram on Saturday benefitting the Shop with a Cop program for kids. It was their first show, and it was really nice. We got 2nd place Best GM. My friend Ken with the 76 silver Cutlass got 1st.

Yesterday we went way out to Warren to the Glen Christian Church Ox Roast show. That's the show where I first met Blue and Laura. My friends Pam and Criss with the 69 Buick GS came too and were able to park beside me, so that was nice. It was their first time there. I saw a lot of my friends there. They gave 10 trophies in each class. Oldsmobile was a class, Buick was a class, different Fords in their own classes, etc... That show starts Friday and goes all weekend. A lot of people camp there all weekend. It's huge!! They get over 1000 cars. All volunteers, free carnival rides for kids, free roast beast sandwiches - if you want to stand in that long line, lol. All they ask is you buy a T-shirt to support the show. I bought 2.

We racked up some miles this weekend, lol. I am soooo glad I had her AC charged. I was using it!! We got rained on on the way there. Of course I was on the turnpike with all the trucks.... so I was sweated wet by the time I got her cleaned up after we got parked on the fairgrounds. The humidity was awful. It was foggy and a misty like rain coming down when we left yesterday morning. I really debated going. But I'm glad I did. My friend Ken got a trophy too, lol.

Tonight I went to the Riverfront in Tincanio. It was just too ify to take Teepo. Wasn't a whole lot of cars there, probably only 100 or so. Pam came too, and we walked around all evening. We had rain on and off today. It was yucky. Had a cookout around 3. I ate too much, lol. But it was good.

Well Nicole and I are gonna watch the walking Dead, so I reckon I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:53 AM
CQR

Mornin all

Sandy, I recon Brittney put on right at 2100 miles as of Saturday. Only had one casualty, we broke a snap on centercap somewhere close to home. Its still attached, but flops and rattles. I think I'll buy a new set and replace them all, since they each have a mark, scratch, fading, or pitting.

Paul, Congrats on the show!

Mike, I think Jamesbo may be on to something. That way you could haul it around in the back of your deuce and a half.

Scot, good to hear from ya.

Allan, Looks like you'll have the nicest lookin Grille next to 'lil wayne.
Speaking of. Heres a pic of the bumper on B. I have some serious soaking and cleaning to do. The camera still doesn't do it justice.
Attachment 168727

She did real well, The new fan clutch I put on before the trip already failed. At least it failed in the engaged mode. Sounded like a B-29 pulling away from the toll booths. but with my R's being so low, it was very manageable to deal with at cruise speeds. I'll figure out my mileage but I think it was about 16. So lower than I expected and that was with the A/C on and running 75-80MPH.

I have a list of things to do before the next outing. In addition to the fan clutch, I need to find the imbalance in the front end, I have a shake at certain speeds, I need to get rid of, and I'm thinking about a disc conversion. Otherwise, she ran like a champ.

Passed 3 nasty accidents there and back. a rav4 went wide over corrected and barrel rolled. the tow truck was loading that one up. then we saw a 90's Lincoln attached to an oveloaded uhaul trailer in a ravine. they were both total losses, then we saw someone spin out and launched their Bayliner capri off the trailer and down and across the service road. People need to learn how to pull a trailer.

Well, back to the grind, hope everyone has a great day.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:49 AM

Mawn'in all

WTF day is dis anywho?

Clint, Glad ya had a safe trip. I'd getting a little chicken of driving my cars on long hauls.

Sandy,I've told cha dis befo, Ya only gets one "congrats" from me and it's on FB.

Ok Scot, WTF is my Gulf shrimp?

Mike, When ya cut down dem trees, split it up and deliver dem, and I'll be happy to take dem off your hand dis winter.

Have a great day [whatever it is] Olds friends
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:40 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Cloudy and much cooler here today. Humidity is gone.... it's a wonderful thing. Temps at 61 degrees. Big change, lol. Hot in here of course. 78 degrees.... someone turned up the AC I noticed, out there. I went and put on a tank top I keep here for laying in my chair. I can't wait until it gets cold outside - these guys will have it up to 85 in here!!!

Clint! That bumper makes me crazy, lol!! I'd be soakin those dried bodies and guts... I hate bug bodies on my car!! Glad to hear she ran well for you with no problems.

Jamesbo... it's a Tuesday that feels like a Monday, lol. I will be messed up all week myself.

Slow and quiet in here again. Clay is back from ND, so at least we have his talking, lol. Gonna be a long day.

Well you all have a great day.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:09 AM
Captain Starfire

Morning, all

The muggies are officially back. You could cut it with a knife again.

Congrats, Sandy (again), and Paul!
What a quick (but glorious) 4 days.

Spent a good chunk of Sunday running the 220V-circuit to the new air compressor so I can finally use the lift again, since the little POS compressor blew up almost 2 months ago. Got the hardest part done, with the help of a "home alarm guy" friend, who's a pro at pulling wires thru the attic (!). Tooks us a little over 3 hours. I practically pleaded w/ the electrician who originally wired the garage, but they didn't seem to want to take my money this time. He did a gorgeous job with the wiring 3 years ago, but I certainly couldn't recommend him based on customer service after the sale. I guess that's pretty typical.

I didn't have the 10-ga power wire needed to go from unit to the male plug (don't want to hard wire it), and didn't feel like spending another 2 hours running to the “Casa De Pot” or the "Lowest" on Sunday. So I'll pick that up this week and have air (and my lift back) by the weekend.

Looks like a clean, sweet job, Allan.... labor of love; I know how you feel. Now that I have the new compressor, I want to get another blasting box. Kinda' torn b/w going the el-cheapo route (Harbor) and getting another Tip box, like I had before.

Mike, those low-comp. 500 CID Caddy motors sure run nice. (I'm sure the hi-comp '70 was a real killer.) But Dad had a '76 CDV w/ the 500 that ran like a freight train --> Nuttin' was gonna stop that baby. Hope the pups fare well with the new reinforcements.

Glad you had a good trip, Scot. Ate some fried seafood myself on Friday to get my fix of cooking oil for the month. But it was worth it.... What a smart thing to do (getting rid of the communication devices). That's what a vacation is spose to be.... Kudos!

Clint, looks like ya' got yer work cut out fer ya'. Love bugs are almost in full bloom now down here. Glad ya' had a relatively uneventful, safe trip. (Weird about that fan clutch.) But I heard Lil' Wayne needed his bumper rechromed with the love bugs.

Y'all have a great Tuesday, Oldsmobuddies.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; September 3rd, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:05 AM

I'll figure out my mileage but I think it was about 16.
That's not that bad considering the speed, a/c on and the fan clutch engaged, I would think that you would pick up about 1-2 mpg just from a properly working fan, as it crates a lot of drag when engaged.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:48 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jamesbo it is Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday for me. How's that for confusing.

Clint glad you had a good ride. How was the visit?

Ah John, how I'd love to have a lift. Although even if my garage were cleaned out, it isn't tall enough for one. I love those pictures of the car on a lift and the car parked underneath. If I did that I could double my space!

Sandy find a window unit air conditioner and mount it on a cart, and have that next to your desk. Then when it gets hot in there because of the space heaters you can turn that on.

Darrell I remember the crappy GM paint. Seems the silver and light blue were the worst offenders. My grandfather had a 79 88 Royale that was silver. Eventually it just looked like grey primer. Oh and big black spots where the paint had flecked off.

Okay I'm running late so out with the dogs then off to work. Gotta stop for gas also. Maybe I'll just call in sick. Nah, they might like that.

Have a good night everyone.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:11 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by slantflat
Scot glad you had a good time eating seafood. I, on the other hand, am a big fan of see-food.
Me too brother, me too.

Originally Posted by car_designer
Scot, good to hear you took a nice relaxing holiday.
Thanks Paul, anytime there is a break from the monotony is or should be relaxing.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Scot, good to hear from ya.
Thanks Darrell. There was no sign that I saw of the oil spill. However the last Hurricane (Ivan I believe 2004) that was a direct hit did change the beach and dunes a might.
Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Ok Scot, WTF is my Gulf shrimp?
Dunno Jamesbo, where did that come from?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:26 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Pics

The front of the Flora-Bama

Kite flown by the little one

That kite went MIA when the littlest one said "I got it" LOL Over the condo's it went and gained altitude until it hit the Atlantic probably

Here's another kite we had for a while but never flown. She is waiting on the string to be untangled and attached.

The seagulls were proud we had bread and tortilla chips left over from lunch

The view from the condo facing the gulf

My oldest daughter has the pic of the water spout, I will post it up as soon as I get ahold of it.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:07 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Today was the first day of school for the little ones. Started out with lots of fun, a heavy downpour and t-storms when we were trying to get to school. Nothing like going to school looking like you just got out of the pool. lol

Mike - The GM paint issue ran into many colors, the one I heard was the worst was Red. I have had Black and White cars of that vintage and they suffered from the same problem.

I heard from a GM engineer at a car show what the real problem was GM cutting costs. Dupont was used as the sole supplier at that time and they recommended a painting process for their new paint. GM thought it was too many steps and too costly, so they ordered their people to eliminate at least one of the preparation steps. Dupont told GM that they could not guarantee the results but GM went ahead with it anyway. The rest is history unfortunately for us.

Scot - nice pictures. Looks like your family had a great time. Pretty cool looking kite! Where did you get that?

Time for bed, good night Oldsmofriends.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thursday will be here shortly so I'll pretend it is already.

It's gonna be another scorcher today. Forecast high is around 90. That means another day sweating up a perfectly good set of coveralls. One of the projects on the agenda today is planting a nice little globe cedar Dale dropped off for me. He's adding some concrete to his yard and didn't know what to do with it. So it's mine. He also brought over a 5 lb bag of really sweet yummy plums. I traded him that for a 3 lb bag of blackberrries I picked a couple weeks back and froze. Good deal!

Yesterday I got a fair bit of wrenching done on the Cutlass. Now all the brake lines are in. The rear hose/line connection was a PITA especially since the muffler is in the way. Slow steady work pays off though. Also got the rear bumper supports mounted and the new rear cutout bumper installed. Took the better part of 2 1/2 hours of finessing to get it just perfect. Now that the braces are exact, I can remove the bumper and install all the lighting hardware and wiring. Getting close to installing the tank soon as I torque those rear control arms.

Scot - Looks like a perfect vay kay shun! Catch any sharks?

Jim - I'm confused about what day it is too. When in doubt? Pretend it's Monday - FORE!!!

Mike - not just silver and blue. My first 98 Regency Brougham was a deep wine color (burgundy?) with matching padded vinyl roof & gold painted trim stripes. Looked fantastic! Paint was crap - within 1 year the lacquer had all crazed. Car looked good from 10 feet, but up close it was a disaster.

Up here the Awful House is more like the Canyon Grille. Going to meet the boys and swap some lies. Later.

Have a great day everyone!
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:59 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo. This was really her maiden trip so I did have a little apprehension. I Have a new water pump, carburetor, fuel pump, tires, transmission and driveshaft in her. The motor is really solid with 88K so My biggest worries was an Alternator or starter failure or a rear diff failure. I carried an extra alternator and regulator in the trunk just in case. I'm looking forward to doing some more slower travel on some of the old highways and staying off the interstate.

Sandy, Could you stop by and do your magic on the front of my car?

John, aftermarket fan clutches IMO have a higher failure rate than rebuilt alternators it seems. As long as I have been wrenching, I have never had much luck installing aftermarket clutches. I'll order another ACDelco one. That one at least worked for almost a year before going wacky. We had a lot of Green Solder bugs on our trip. we hit the worst batch of bugs on Saturday about sunrise in Nebraska. coming hose was much better than expected as we were in the city a lot of the time it was dark.

Dan, I was hoping for 20MPG. I think its attainable. The fan clutch and if I were to drop my speed to 65, I think would do it. I noticed anything above 70 and I was putting an extra push on the throttle. That old blocky A body isn't the sleekest thing to push down the road. I think that air flow is also the reason she runs a little warmer over 70 has to do with air turbulence too.

Mike, The visit was good but too short as usual. It was nice meeting their 2yo daughter, she's a hoot. Their boy is 6 and in that obnoxious stage. He didn't get the job with u-line, and the last day for his current job is this Friday. They deliver the plane to the new owners today I think. We wen to the Bristol Renaissance fair. It was almost Identical to the festival we have here. It has to be put on by the same group.

Scot looks like a nice place.

Well, It's gonna be hot again yet today. 90+ for the rest of the week. Not in much of a mood to do anything. got my notice in the mail yesterday on my health insurance. I thought the 40% increase we incurred this year was a blow. I expected another25-50% increase again, but I guess I was being optimistic. I have to let them know if I want to keep my current plan and get fined next year since its not compliant with the new rules or go with their new ACA compliant plan. So either way we're pretty screwed. The new compliant plan is 150% increase on top of the 40% we just had. Thats more than a new truck payment! Every friggin month! But hey at least This old neutered guy will have maternity benefits. I hope no-one crosses me today.

Have a great day all.
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:54 AM

Mawn'in all

Spose to beanutter hot one

Scot, I was jes funn'in wit cha. I used to down thar a good bit and de shrimp an oysters in dat neck of de woods is down right wonderful. But did cha ever notice dat de taters in Florida aint' wert a hoot.

Course de dud suds in de Good ole Florabama bar is wonderful. De "New" Bridge [like 14-20 years old now] really made dat place boom.

Clint, Dis may sound stupid but de biggest= problem I've had wit 69's is neutral safty switches an starters. Is like there's a little demon dat rides around and occasionally outa no where says, "Hey let's Phuque wit Jamesbo and make him think he's stranded. Hit de key nutt'in, run thru the PRNDL a few times an she fires right up.

Allan, Dat's exactly what I'mthink'in 'bout do'in today Smacky Whitey Round

John, One nite [years ago] I drove from St Pete to Vera Beach during love bug season. Ya never seen such a mess. Later, I learnt to spray Pam on de front so de slide off more better. Jes don't leave it on fer long.

Have a great day [whatever it is] Olds friends
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:14 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Humpday Mawnin All

Gonna be a nice day with temps in the low 90's but the humidity will make it hotter than a $2 pistol

Thanks Darrell We had a blast for sure. Those two kites were given to us by my neighbor since their Grandkids were too big to play with them anymore.

Allan yup it was perfect. Didn't bring my fishin' poles but I did have some requests by the kids to go fishin'. Maybe next time.

Thanks Clint, the father-in-law bought his condo at he right time, I think he paid 40k for it in the 80's and now it's worth a cool mil or so.

I hear ya Jamesbo , the seafood is to die for and anything other than hushpuppies and a salad is disappointing for side items. LOL

Whelp happy humpin' day all
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Beautiful sunny and cool morning here, blue skies, temps in the 50's right now. I'm surprised Steve doesn't have his heater cranking!!! I'm enjoying it right now....

Scot... glad to hear you had a good time. Great pics. I used to fly kites with Nicole. I miss that stuff.

Clint.... I ain't a cleanin those bugs off your bumper, lol! What a job!!! Boy I don't like what you said about the new insurance. We haven't heard anything around here yet. I really don't understand why they call it the "Affordable" health care act?? Ain't nothing about it affordable......

Gonna be a beautiful night at Chick Fil A later!! Maybe Bob will stop by. He was at a junk yard last Friday getting parts, and he called me and said there was a beautiful 1999 Intrigue in there. He got the outside door moldings off of it for me. He said they should fit my 2001. The one's on my Intrigue have the black stuff coming off of them and they look crappy. So for $25 I have a new set. He said he will put them on the car for me. Maybe I should wait to put them on until I ever get to restore her, so they don't get all messed up....

Well you all have a good hump day!!!