The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2013, 10:05 AM

6 pars an 1 birdie Not bad fer an Old Phart

Allan, I'm a might confused [as usual] Looks like you're tak'in a Road trip in a red 442. Whose is it? Does dat mean your car won't be finihsed before de snow sets in?

Mike, Ya need to stay outa de Awful House and Walmart til ya get de dogs tagged and chipped. [End of lecture]

Sandy, You only get 1 "congrats" per trophy check FB
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Dan. Haven't changed the oil in a 350 in awhile.

Jamesbo they've got chips, but where the heck do you get things engraved? There is no place around here. I think I'm going to get out my little buzz tool thing and scraps of aluminum and make my own.

Finally got the numbers off the machined pad on the engine in the convertible. 30M339670 and on the oil tube 0510868. Heads are 7A. Anyone know where this engine came from? I'm guessing it's not original. Wrong oil cap for a 70, and we all know oil caps are never changed out.

Okay gonna go wash cars.
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:30 AM

Mike, I 'm pretty sure petsmart can order them for ya. Or jes google

http://www.loveyourpets.com/?gclid=C...FRGi4AodtDYAoQ
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:42 AM

30M339670 (3) =Oldsmobile, (0) = model year 1970, (M) built in Lansing, (339670) production # meaning that it was the 239670th built that year. If this engine stamping matches the vin, then the engine is the original. The heads are 1972 350 heads. 1970 350, would be number 6 heads. 350
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Captain Starfire

Back to the salt mine

Happened again. No way to get it back, Allan. Tried everything, before hitting "back." It's not the site, but the network I'm working on. Here's the miserable message:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Request Error

This could be caused by a misconfiguration, or possibly a malformed request.
Your request could not be processed. Request could not be handled
If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact the
XXXX Service Desk at 000.000.0000. Please provide the exact URL (web site address) you were attempting to access, along with the specific error message.
--------------------------------------------------------------

(The names have been changed to protect the guilty.)

It's a POS system that still uses I.E. 7. (That's 3/4 of the problem.)

Glad the girl is home safe, Mike. BTW, I'd avoid those Fram filters. Get a good Wix. (Rock Auto)

Good whackin', Jamesbo.

Congrats, Sandy!

Oh well, I'll catch up later.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 26th, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Allan, I'm a might confused [as usual] Looks like you're tak'in a Road trip in a red 442. Whose is it? Does dat mean your car won't be finihsed before de snow sets in?
I only WISH I was shotgun for that trip. Not my car - it's Clints 67 and man it looks good doesn't it? EDIT: Clint won't let me call shotgun - he saved that fer his missus. I tried.......Far as being finished before de snow flies? Has that ever happened to me before?? BTW, nice shootin Tex...

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jamesbo they've got chips, but where the heck do you get things engraved?
Mike - go see the Vet or animal shelter. When we got Mew they not only inserted the chip but they provided the collar tag as well. Every year she went back for her shots she automatically got a new tag too. On a sadder note, before they euthenize a pet on the owners behalf they also check the chip registry to make sure the owner is making the request.

John, git ridda IE and be done with that mess. I had all kinds of bad stuff happen till I ditched it couple years back. Since then it's pretty much clear sailing. Firefox or Chrome works really well. Free downloads so you have nothing to lose. If you don't like em? You can always (shudder) go back to IE if you're masochistic.
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Now, I'm really confused [p.s. Mike said de have chips]

I thought Clint was in Denver and you were in Canada
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Captain Starfire

I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.

Can't change nuttin' at the salt mine, Allan --> Everybody's got the exact same configuration. (It's a military thang.) Jes gotta' live w/ it for the next few months, anyhoots. If I could remember to copy to the clipboard every hour or two, I'd have it made.... ;-)

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 26th, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks again, Dan. So I have a mismatched motor. Not a surprise. If the last six digits are suppose to match the last six of the car's VIN, it's way off. One thing I find strange is the alternator sits just a tad back from the water pump, meaning the belt isn't exactly lined up. Must be mismatched brackets as well.

I haven't gotten squat done today. My buddy Johnboy came over and he helped me move a few things, then we stood around and BSed awhile. I need to hurry and get the car washed. It's convertible night at Summit and I want to be bright and shiny.
Old August 26th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - Yup, I'm in The Great White North (Alberta - home of ice and snow, wanna buy some?) and Clint is in Colorado. He posted on FB that he has a trip coming and showed his gorgeous 67 442 all cleaned and ready. Now you tell me what kind of car guy wouldn't call shotgun on a dream 2200 mile cruise in that baby? Saw some pics of the interior and it looks like it's never been sat in. Plus he got that new center console for drinks? Now he doesn't have to tell his missus 'here, hold my beer for a second'.....

John - ahhhh, military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, 200.00 hammers and such.. Got it. Persevere my friend.

Mike - you might be missing a spacer on the alternator mount. There's one that's about a 1/2" or so with the AC cars. And as far as having a frankemotor? No problem ( I know that will just bug Jim but the 7A heads are better than the 6 heads IMO because they have the hardened valve seats which was introduced back in 71 when gas started changing from tetra ethyl lead to unleaded. I wouldn't let that stop me from enjoying the car.
Old August 26th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Cutlass Lover

Have fun at Summit, Mike. I'm thinking Riverfront tonight. It's breezy and a few clouds, but no rain showing on the map.

So Brian just told me that he has to be in NY on Sept. 10th to meet some customers we are setting up an office for up there.... long story. He just heard that from the owner. Anyhow since he and I are going to the golf outing on the 7th, he got all upset because he didn't want to drive up and back then have to go up again. So the owner suggests that he and I drive up and they will fly me back on Sunday, and Brian could stay there. I really hate to waste the companies money for something like that, though it would be nice to see the co-workers up there. I don't know. I probably should just stay here and go to a car show, lol. But then that would make Brian think it's all about him... as usual, lol.

Talking about strange things with the site.... what I call the 'home page' on here has been missing for months, whenever I sign in on whatever device I'm using. Well last week it's mysteriously back! It's the page that shows how many users are on the site, guests, etc.... I'm happy it's back!
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:05 PM

Good evening everyone!

I've been busy with car shows lately and actually doing a bit of work on the Cutlass as well.

I posted a few short videos of a fun car community night at the local oval track in the general discussion forum.

I guess I haven't been good with attendance lately, I had to go through a couple of pages of posts to see who replied to some of my questions.

Clint, do I need the power of a 455? Of course not, but do I want. Well... As for fuel economy, that is the only real down side in my mind. Especially since a week ago, I only got 13mpg with the 350 in the Cutlass and I have a 2.73 rear end. But I might have been "enjoying" trying to keep up with the BBC powered cars.

And I do have the Delta 88 that is the efficient highway car.

Sandy, thanks for confirming that was the same show in Alliance. Who knows, maybe someday I'll make it down there again. The OCA Nats are in Ohio next year

Allan, it's too early to mention the "S" word. Sandy will freak out if she notices.

Mike, make sure you have the right water pump on the engine. I had a real challenge getting my belts to line up on my car. I thought the PS pump was off, or the alternator, or a few things combined. With the help of someone else's eyes, they figured out it was the water pump. I had replaced it, but made sure to match the length to the one I had taken off. Unfortunately, the one on the car when I bought it was wrong
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Evening peoples,

Just finished cutting the grass 1/2 hour ago. Picked up my mower at Sears ( a place I'll never recommend or shop at again). Not only did it take them 17 days to do a 30 minute repair, but they bolloxed that up too. Runs just as crappy as it did before they screwed with it. To add insult to the whole mess, they drained almost a gallon of gas from the tank and returned it to me empty so I couldn't even start it at the repair depot to see if it was really fixed. Course it's not; the autochoke still is buggered up. Not sure if I want to spend 30.00 on it this late in the season for a new choke or just get a new mower in the spring. It definitely won't be a Sears Craftsman or a brand with a Kohler small engine. Once the dang thing got running the grass got trimmed in 2 passes. It was mostly over 7" high. That's what I get for fertilizing and watering it I guess.

Paul - you don't NEED a 455, but if you WANT one you can just overbuild your TH350 to mate it up to. Then you won't need to change your transmission crossmember position or e brake cable. I think the engine mounts for the 350 and 455 are the same part number IIRC.

Whattay mean Sandy will freak out if I say the SNOW word? She freaks out about lotsa stuff including work, homelife, family and what not if you've been following this thread at all. Don't worry - she won't notice.... Hey, did you see this picture of Banff? A buddy of mine just posted it on FB! What a turd! Ruined my plans for Autumn

Soooo Mike - when Johnboy goes home to bed does it sound like the Waltons?
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:41 AM
CQR

Allan, You aren't making any friends postin pics like that. Dang I was dreamin last night that I couldn't find my snowboarding boots. Yuck. Thanks for the nice words on the car Allan, you are proving I named her right. All those things prove that she shows well, but has some nasty baggage thats hidden from view. The 3.42's would be perfect for the 200. My 3.23's are a tad tall especially with the lock up. It took me a long time to find the HD version of the 200. They are not all the same. Mine already was stout but I also had the HD clutch plates and a shift kit installed. All can be beefed up, but if you find one that came out of a perf. car, you are money ahead.

Sandy, We are taking a couple hundred pounds of beef and pork to my buddy in Chicago this weekend. And Britneys maiden voyage with the OD.

Paul I can understand wanting the power. Allan may be onto something. Ever thought about pumping up the smallblock?

Mike How'd Summit go? First time out at a function with the new ride, isn't it?

John, Sorry to hear about the Bill Gates prison. Once I got firefox, unicorns farting rainbows appeared.

Way to go Jamesbo.

Have a great Tuesday all.
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:49 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter nice day down ere

Gonna try to run a wireless antenna today so de barn can have wifi

Mike, I hope you saw de news dis mawn'in whar not 1 but two folks were kilt chang'in a tire on I-75. DON'T DO DAT AGAIN

Allan/ Clint , I think I got it figger out now. Fer sum reason, I thought your car was actually in de frozen north with Allan.

FB is sooooo confus'in sum times. Yesterday dis lady ax if anyone knew who owned my house [She a locator fer movie sets] Naturally, I said, " Yeah, I know who owns de house at dat address........Me." Maybe my house will be in de movies

Allan, Yeah , Good ole Sears & Roebuck jes ain't what it used to be. Sorry 'bout de mower. Ya needs a zero radius Husky [cost more dan my first car but der cool] Wonder whose got de worst service Sears or Comcast [My money is still on Comcast]

Well gotta take Red to de vet dis mawn'in fer de latest rip off. Even though he's been on heart worm meds, de won't renew his prescription w/o ANUTTER heart worn test.

John, I had a cousin who got a used to have a govment job. Had 3 martinis every day at lunch and slept de rest of de day

What's de date fer de Fox tour again. De Super model jes axed me.

Gota get crack'in

Enjoy de day Olds friends.
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', friends.

Thought I might nibble the worm dis mawnin', but CQR dun swallowed it already ;-)

'Twas downright nice this morning at the Plantation: 69* and fairly dry. What a treat for August in the swamp. No rain in the forecast; but hotter temps will prevail soon.

Paul, isn't your car fairly original now? That would be my first concern; not sure if your 350 is the numbers matching motor or not. Sure appears stock, anyhoots. Such a pretty car; I hate messin' with a car that looks so "together." But everybody's different; I usually opt for the originality component; but I do know and love the thrill of the big block under the hood. When I get my "new" GS, only big blocks will be considered. (It's nice to dream )

Clint, you sure you weren't out pickin' a few of dem mushrooms in yer cow pasture when you got Firefox? ;-)

Jamesbo, we said the actual Fox tour would be Saturday, 10/26. Would be swell if the S.M. could make it....

Well, y'all have a great Tuesday, Oldsmobuddies.
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All !

Cloudy and a few light rain showers around. Very humid. They said we have storm chances all through the day. Guess in some places around here they are getting pounded.

AllanR..... I'm gonna kick your butt one day!!!!!

I went to the Riverfront last night. What a gorgeous evening for it. Nice and breezy. Lots of cars as usual. Didn't win the 50/50 again.... I hate it getting dark so early already. Everything is ending earlier and earlier. Seems like you get there and it's time to head home already.

Got a few raindrops on us on the way home, so I'll have to go out and clean her off tonight. Thank God I was close to home when it started.

Quiet in here without Clay. I decided to go to NY just to pi$$ off Brian. I know he'd be happy if I stayed here because then the spotlight would be on only him as he likes it.... I'm tired of being treated like the red headed step child around here. So I'm gonna go and see my friends up there.

I opened the roll of seat fabric the other night and looked at it. They have the vinyl rolled up inside of the fabric. I didn't take it out of the package all the way, just enough to make sure the design on the cloth is the same as what's on Teepo's seat now. It sure is purty!!!!! I opened the package tray box too. That's a flimsy piece of cardboard, lol. Well I don't put anything back there on it except the rocket flag and the Oldsmobile hats, so it should hold those ok, lol.

Well you all have a good day.
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Top of Tuesday to everyone

Woke up this morning and I swear we were in London England. The fog was so thick you couldn't see 50 feet. Stayed that way till around 8:30. Peeps on the Henday Bypass must have been upset because it sure wasn't safe to drive faster than even 20 mph, but as you can guess most of em were still highballing, hoping there was no one in front. They're in for some nasty surprises soon.

Yesterday evening going to WEM on the Henday I was putzing along at 65 mph like most of the traffic. Carl Edwards was testing out his new Nissan and passed me in the left lane like I had broken for a pit stop. He got about 1/2 mile in front and all of a sudden the red/blues came on beside him. It was an unmarked Ford Taurus! which is pretty impressive just off the showroom floor with a stock 299 hp! When I passed Carl, he sure looked pissed as the officer approached him . There's a LOT of unmarked cars out there peeps, so don't be doing something dumb.

Mike - you don't have to worry bout speeding on the expressway with that M35 so you're safe.

Jim - yup, sometimes it's a challenge to find a less worse product on the market. Comcast/Sears? I still pick the last one. Zero turn rider isn't in my picture though - the hayfield just isn't that big. Besides I enjoy cutting the grass and love the smell of fresh cut!

Clint - Don't worry about the 'unseen baggage'. Britt looks fabulous. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that next tranny - the 83-85 models coming through the bone yard here are getting thinner in selections. Not sure but I think the drive shaft for 350 and 200 4R are pretty close to the same length?

That pic is soooo purty though.....

Sandy - na na na na na. gotta catch me first. Just the facts ma'am...(from Joe Friday - Dragnet) Good to hear the replacement fabric is the right stuff. And the package tray cardboard? You don't have to worry about it being flimsy - it actually sits on top of a metal substructure you can't see unless you're in the trunk looking up at it. Remember when you posted about being able to see part of the build sheet under the package tray? You might just be able to get it all out now that you're planning to replace it. Tell whoever does the work about it so they work carefully to get it out without trashing it.

Scot - Wutchu upta brother? Haven't seen you around lately. Hope all is well.

Paul - You can get a lot of good performance out of your 350/350 combo and if it's not really a problem?? Depends on how much of a money pit you want your car to end up being.
Old August 27th, 2013, 11:39 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Afternoon Mawnin People!

Whelp it sure is a nice day! I've been busier than a one legged man in an **** kickin' contest Got the A/C installed for my friend Friday and increased the duct size and filter grille on the cold air return on Saturday. They opted for the higher efficiency 15 SEER system, so they would save a good bit off of the heating and cooling bills.

All is well Al, except me that is LOL I've been fighting a summer cold this past week and that has slowed me down a bit. I just about over did it Friday during the install. I'm no spring chicken anymore It got super hot and humid working up in that attic. I got too hot several times and had to come down long enough to cool off. But I blame the cold because I am usually up there until I'm done.

All of this rain has kept me busy trimming trees, bushes and cutting grass at all three of my places. Well too much rain is better than not enough in my book.

We are heading to Perdido Key this Friday. So I hope the Flora-Bama is socked up on their oysters

Clint we haven't had the race yet, it's coming up soon though September 14th. I still have to stain the trophies I am building for the event. I sure hope we have a good turnout this time.

Whelp off again, this time to get a propane refill for my grill. Just got back from the butcher shop.

Have a great day Olds friends!
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well Elsie made her way here around 10 ish this morning. Got dark and poured the rain. We needed some though, it's been about 2 weeks since we had any. I was enjoying seeing brown dry grass for the first time all summer, though. It's clearing up now, but it felt like a rain forest at lunch time when I walked, with all the humidity. Yuck....

No plans to go to any cruises tonight. I finally got my DVD set of Season 3 of The Walking Dead, so Nicole and I have to be watching them so I'm caught up when the show comes back on in October. Have to watch them after Larry goes to bed though. And if she is home in the evenings......

Scot... I was wondering about you! Glad you're back and hope you're feeling better. Those peaches I bought at the apple farm show are white inside! They aren't near as good as the regular old peaches. But I'm eating them anyhow. They just don't have the same peachy taste or something......
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Always room for one more

Happy evening everyone.

Slept most of the day since it's my first night back. Then I went to the mall to get the dogs their engraved tags. They are all set now. Next up is lining their room in metal.

And the rest of Tuesday to you, Allan! No, Johnboy is a bit of a horndog so I'm guessing it sounds a little different than the Waltons when he goes to bed.

Clint I've been out to Summit three times with the car. I think I'd rather go without the car because I have a better time walking around and not evil-eying the people that walk up to it.

Jamesbo I didn't see that news story but I've heard of people getting whacked while changing a tire on the highway. Believe me I didn't waste any time.

Sandy if you're going to fly home from NY be sure not to bring anything weapon-like with you on the plane. No knifes, scissors, nail clippers, no tools. Now, if you're going to check a bag put all that stuff in there. And don't check anything you'd be out a lot if you didn't get it back. And don't try to bring anything liquid through security, like a bottle of booze, a super big gulp you just got in the lobby, because they make you throw it all out. We were this close to getting pocket knives allowed on the planes again and at the last minute that got shot down. Oh don't bring a gun.

Scot, sorry about your malady. Hope it goes away soon. You're a better man than me going up in a hot attic when you're sick. When I feel that bad I pretty much just shut down.

Paul, in the month I've owned my car I've had that bug that I wanted to swap in a 455. I eventually want to turn my car into a 442 clone so it makes sense. Although, in typical Mike fashion, have instead decided I should just buy another car, and leave the convertible be. Anyone in the deep south have a 455 stick shift I could drive to see if it even warrants further thought?

John you've decided to start looking for a GS. I'm so happy. I'll start looking in these parts and clue you in........

Well it's that time. Everyone have a good evening. No rain for tonight so I should feel a little calmer about leaving.
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:12 PM

Good evening everyone.

Today turned out to be a great rainy day. We didn't get a drop.

Tonite was a cruise night I attend every week. I decided to take the Delta in case it did rain, but nothing.

The police were at the cruise night for community relations. They had a new Taurus cruiser for the local police. The provincial police had a new Tahoe. But the most interesting of all was a 1964 Chevrolet Belair from a former local police department. It only had a 283 but it did have A/C I've seen the car before and really like it. It had the big "cherry" on top, a "stop" light mounted on top of the fender and the old style whine siren.

John, my car might look original, but is far from it. But that is the look I am going for. First off, it is originally a light blue car with blue cloth interior (I wish it still had the original interior). When I bought it, it was red with black vinyl interior. The engine does not match the VIN, but it is a 350 car. It is still fully badged as a Cutlass S, but it has 442 grilles (with Oldsmobile script and not 442), correct 1972 442 stripes and after market gauges in a custom gauge panel.

And I have a few more after market upgrades sitting in boxes ready to install.

Clint I have thought about building up the 350, but debating if I am going to put money into an engine, why not start bigger? Anyway, as long as the 350 is running well, I'm not rushing into anything.

Mike, now you're giving me even more ideas. I am enjoying the 6-speed in the daily driver, maybe one for the Cutlass would be fun too

Allan, I haven't ruled anything out yet.

Scot, hope you feel better soon.

Jim, would you believe I still don't have a Facebook account?
Old August 28th, 2013, 03:41 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Paul either way on the motor. If it twer a chebby, I'd say small block all the way, but being an Olds, I can see the 'intrigue' in wanting a 455.

Mike I hear you. Its been taking a lot of time and control to overcome the fact that I'm taking the car cross country and and going to be parking it in someones driveway overnight. Who knows what will happen to it?

Sandy, We may have to miss out on the zombies this year. The missus is really serous about dropping cable, since we don't have time to watch anymore. then we will have to wait until its out on netflix or something.

Scot. I thought the race was that rainy weekend you had. sorry bout that. hope it goes well for you. Hope you get to feeling better again.

Allan, thanks for the words. I don't know why the colors on that pic really seem to pop. Digital cameras are weird, and sometime show what really is there and other times they make the scene look really bland.

Woke up at 2 with the missus today, so sorry bout the worm again John. She has to run for a load every day this week. She's starting to question her mothers mental capacity. I feel for her as I do the same with my father.

Jamesbo. Neato on the offer to be in showbiz. I got word yesterday that the tv show I/the shop is in will have a premiere party the middle of next month. They are having a big wingding and the local Unser gocart racing place here in town.Them tv people are kooky. One of these days I'd like to go up and wander around all those Canucks. but Not sure if I'd take the Olds.

Have a happy humpday all.
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:37 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter pretty day down ere wit Blue bird skies

Scot, enjoy de Redneck Riviera. I luv dat bar. If ya get bored ya can take de ferry cross to Fort Morgan [actually you could see all of the ocastal instalations if ya had a few years.]

I'm try'in to remember dat breakfast place down thar. I wanta say "Kate's " but I'm not sure

Mike, Last time I blew a tire I was on Ga 400 a.k.a De Alpharetta Autobauhn. I drove to an off ramp. My life is worth more dan a rim [and de rim was fine]

I'm a member of 'bout 8 FB groups. De 2 I like de best are Buckhead Natives cook'in and Buckhead natives [which mostly talks 'bout what evereyone did in highschool befo de place was trashed wit high rises.

Welp, Gotta scoot, Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Still tropical humidity around here, cloudy and a little rainy this morning. It was foggy early. Supposed to clear out and be sunny later on. Chick Fil A night...... I hope!

I didn't do much last evening. Went to the garage and dusted Teepo off. Went out and changed the drivers side front turn signal bulb in the Intrigue, as it was burned out and Nicole kept saying 'it flashes soooo fast inside'. I gotta get a new gas cap for it and see if that's why the 'service engine soon' light is on. She never has stopped at Autozone...

So.... evidently Larry put some of the 'old' style Prestone coolant in the Intrigue last week instead of the newer orangish stuff it's supposed to have in it, Nicole was saying. Guess he was in a hurry, she said. It won't hurt the engine will it?? I have a jug of coolant for the Intrigue sitting right there beside the 'old' coolant.....

I am off Friday! Gonna have me a long weekend.

Mike.... I usually only take my small duffle bag with me to NY anyhow, so it should be ok. I'll carry it on. I use the hotel's shampoo and such (). I do have nail clippers in my purse that I'll have to take out. I'm gonna have my Kindle and cell phone, that will be the only electronics. I'll leave my Glock at home. I made the reservation yesterday. Gonna cost $366.90 to fly out of Syracuse to Cleveland. For an hour flight. That's a lot!!

Clint.... Nicole and I got in 3 shows of the walking dead last night! Lots of new people for me to try to remember, lol.

Well you all have a good humpday!!

Here's my self portrait of me and Teepo I took at the Riverfront Monday night, lol. Our reflection in the glass of the building we were parked in front of lol. I thought it was pretty neat!
Attachment 168853
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin, all, and of course, Happity Humpity.

'Twas another very nice morning here; actually 64* at the Plantation... downright cool . Wish I could have stayed home and had breakfast al fresco.

Mike, when we gonna' get some mo pic's of that new Olds?

Jamesbo, that might be nice to have another income stream, letting folks shoot yer palace fer da' movies.

As fer your friend w/ the gubment job, it's not that I usually kill myself at the salt mine, but the drinkin' (even at lunch) is an easy way to lose yer job. You can't give 'em any reason to escort you offsite... permanently . And it happens -- I've witnessed it on more than one occasion.

Scot, hope y'all enjoy Perdido... and have a safe trip. 'Tis where the better half & I honeymooned all those many years ago... And hope you feel better.

Mike, don't want to give the impression I'm really "looking for" a GS. I do always have my eyes open just more or less as a permanent pasttime and hobby. But I doubt I'd be able to plop down at this moment if I found the perfect car. (It be a perty hard sell to the better half to be in the process of retiring, while buying another "fun" car .) But I'm always up for a good look-see.

Paul, that answers a lot of questions. I guess my only questions now would be do you really plan to use the extra power (i.e., do you race it?) Is it worth the extra dough and time to do the upgrade? And is the gas suck-down difference worth it?

It could also be argued that whether you upgrade your 350 or put a moderate 455 in it, you're still gonna get 11-12 mpg. So maybe that last question it moot.

There's a special place in my heart for the Olds 455. There's something about that long stroke that IMHO makes it the smoothest American big block ever made. The power it makes is the closest thing to an electric motor you can buy that uses gas.

Clint, I'm getting worm withdrawal symptoms.... But 2:00! I hope it still tastes good. I'm not likely to ever post before 6:45 on a good morning. I hope you're goin' to bed in broad daylight else you're gonna' be one sleep-deprived Coloradoan.

Sandy, clever pic! Enjoy those shorts and T's while you can; fall cometh soon.... Are you off both Friday and Monday? We're off Monday for Laborious Day.

I had thought about going back to that Covington Block Party on Friday w/ the SF, but don't think I will. I have to work and go see the Aunt, and then might meet some friends for some fried seafood at this restaurant near LaPlace I've always wanted to try.

Talk later, friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 28th, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old August 28th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Always room for one more

Howdy everyone.

Another hot and beautiful day here. Got home early this morning so I was able to get up a little early and enjoy some of it.

John I figured, I was just teasing. I might have told you before when I was in college there was this guy who had a 70 GS. Dark green, looked real nice. Well he needed some cash so he sold the GS and bought a Plymouth Volare. His vanity plate BOB GS 70 never did look right on the Volare. Hope the aunt is doing better.

Sandy from what I've read if you mix green and orange coolant together, at the least you lose the properties of the extended drain coolant, and at worst it turns into a big gummy mess inside the engine. Ask Don he'll know for sure.

Jamesbo what's living if you're not living on the edge? Actually, I was on the "ramp" to the ramp, and well off the lanes and sort of in the grass. My reward for that was chigger bites all over my legs. Who knew those little buggers could get inside your pant legs when you're moving around so quickly?

Clint if I remember right Waukegan is sort of an upscale town. I don't know for sure, I'm a south sider. Just tell your friend if something happens to your car he has to drive you home. Or send you in the corporate plane.

Paul I've got plenty of ideas. How many of them ever get done remains to be seen.

Well Day 2 awaits. Gotta get gas for the Fiat on the way in tonight. Hope everyone enjoyed their hump day. The rest of the week is downhill from here.

Last edited by slantflat; August 28th, 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: didn't change a damn thing!
Old August 28th, 2013, 02:36 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Afternoon All

Thanks for all the well wishes. Actually feeling way better now that I prescribed my own remedy since the antibiotics weren't cutting the mustard A little bourbon, ice and a splash of H2O refilled as necessary is all this doctor needed

Actually my father-in-law is good friends with the owner's of the FLA-BAMA, so we should receive the VIP treatment while there We may try to find a few attractions while down that way, I guess it depends on timing of course. We are going down Friday and saying until Sunday so we can get back and "rest" before the short week begins.

Mike clear nail polish will make short work of dem chiggers.

Sandy it's hard to beat a GA peach Although S. Carolina comes in a very close 2nd

Happy Humpday All!
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:56 PM

Mawn'in

I got de worm

Mike, If ya bathe wit Octagon soap when ya got home ya would hvae any chiggers bites
Old August 29th, 2013, 03:41 AM
CQR

Morning all.

Dang Jamesbo. Little insomnia workin on you?

Glad you're feelin better Scot.

Mike. I'm not sure I'd say it's 'upscale', but I feel safer there than hanging out in West Elsdon.

John. We are still hitting the sack before dark, even with the shorter days. last night it was 7:30. That helped. The night before it was 9:30, and that made for a very irritable better half. She keeps claiming she's sending her mom to the nut house, but it hasn't happened yet. Oh, the joy of family.

The wife is really looking forward to the drive. She told me last night she couldn't wait for us to go traveling in the hot tub this weekend. I was slightly confused, when she said, "In Brittney! Riding in her is more relaxing than sitting in the hot-tub. It just melts all your cares away.
I'm sure glad she like that car. makes it easy for me to go cruising when I want to.

Have a great day all.
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all....

Still bearable down in the swamp; was 67* this morning, and no A/C needed all the way in to work. Spose to hit 92 this afternoon, but it ain't nuttin' like the 95% humidity 92 we're used to. It really feels like fall down here, 'tho I know we still have some more hot ones to get to that stage in earnest.

Jamesbo, nobody had a chance at da' worm wit you up in the middle of da' night. Maybe you had a 4 a.m. funeral.

Sandy, the thought of your sleeping in tomorrow was too much for me to bear... I put in for a day of vacation to give myself a 4-day weekend . I can use it.

Miie, there was a real pretty '70 Stage 1 on eBay last week; bamboo cream w/ brown interior and vinyl top. I'm not wild about the latter 2 items; but I have to admit, they both go about as good as it gets with the cream exterior. All original sheetmetal, only 60-some-odd thousand miles; sweet. I'm sure the guy wanted at least 40 for it; but his reserve wasn't met (only got up to around 25k) and it ended; no relist at this time.

Actually, I'm sentimentally inclined to the '72s, although the '70s are the most valuable and sought after of the series. But the '72s are a bit quirky and I know them pretty well, and that would be my first choice. Not interested in a '71 at all. Stickin' to a factory big-block coupe.

When I worked at Star Chysler-Ply in the 70s, I prepped more than my share of Volares. They really weren't bad cars; just totally unglamorous. They came out with the 2-V "Super Six" in '78 or '79. But you could still get the 318s then. With Lee Iacocca's at the helm, the factory tape players came with a Chrysler-branded tape of Ol' Blue Eyes songs (since he and Lee were big buddies), with a little intro verbiage by Ricardo Montalban!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip, Clint.

Glad ur feeling better, Scot.

Y'all have a great day, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 29th, 2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Cutlass Lover

Late morning all!

Been sitting out at Clay's desk this morning where it's cooler. I walk in this place and my nose plugs right up. I just can't breathe. Even with my fan on. When the AC kicks on, I can breathe just fine? I don't know. I don't have any trouble at home - we keep the house at about 71 -72, I'm good on the drive to work with Tincanio's AC all the way to the cold side, and I walk in here and immediately plug up. I don't get it. Brian needs to know what it's like to not be able to breathe.....

Anyhow, it's getting sunny finally after a cloudy foggy start. Temps to be in the 80's and it's still tropical out side.

Bellacino's tonight hopefully. I didn't go to Chick Fil A last night... it was starting to clear some, but then clouds would move in. I didn't want to chance it. Plus the humidity was horrible. So I worked in the flower beds some. Felt soaking wet the whole time I was out there, lol.

Well I sure hope Larry didn't screw up the Intrigue - I don't remember how much coolant was in that jug. That was Teepo's coolant.... guess he was in a rush with Dawn, Nicole said. He has no patience....

Clint.... Nicole and I watched another episode last night. Lori died. !!! I was sooooo sad. Poor Carl... having to do what he did. And Rick!! God, I cried with him, lol. I'm interested in knowing what the 'governor' and his people are up to.....

John... glad you're taking tomorrow off too, lol. It will be nice to have a 4 day weekend. Our weather isn't looking real good for Saturday and Sunday at this point - storms moving in - and I had shows planned for both days, of course.

Maybe I'll drop in and see Bob tomorrow. I don't have anything planned for tomorrow.

Have a good day all!
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:46 AM

Sandy, you need to get the anti freeze that is suitable for all applications, vintage cars that we have, and current generation as well, no worry about mix ups if that's the only one on the shelf.
Old August 29th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Always room for one more

Howdy peeps!

Night three is upon us. This week has gone sort of fast. I haven't seen a forecast so I can only hope it's as nice this weekend as it has been all week.

Sandy you better hope that when Brian can't breathe he can't talk, either. Or it will be one more thing you get to listen to.

Clint you talk the co-pilot into leaving tomorrow instead of Saturday? I'm envious. I haven't been to Chicago in over a year. Have a safe trip and a great time.

Jamesbo I've never heard of Octagon soap. Is it like 20-mule team Borax?

Not much else happening. I know I have to stay late in the morning so I can get a hearing test. I fail every year and the nurse has a fit. You'd think they'd figure out by now that I can't hear very well with my left ear. It's amusing. Any doof could pass that test just by timing the beeps.

Well have a good evening everyone, one more to go.
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:06 PM
GM Enthusiast

Good evening everyone. Just wanted to check in and say hello. Lots of posts with stuff going on since the last time I was on here! Not much new here, but I finally got the Cutlass out of the garage yesterday and drove it about 20 miles. It ran great, considering I have not driven it in almost 4 months.

Mike - sorry to hear about the tire damage but I'm glad to here you weren't involved in an accident or hurt from it.

Sandy - nice pic. Looks like you're putting the miles on Teepo for the summer cruises.

Jamesbro - glad to hear you're teaching the white ball a lesson or two out there. I hope to play sometime soon myself. Haven't picked up a club in 2 years.

Well have a good night everyone.
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I guess it's Friday for most of you huh? Still Thursday here though. I guess Nicola Boom Boom was right. She said evening T storms and son of a gun - guess what just started?

Been pretty busy today getting squared away for the upcoming curling season and such. Also went for breakfast with 'the boys' to see if anything new was happening. Only thing of interest was Gord. He bought Gary's 08 Cobalt (only had 25K miles on it and was towed most everywhere behind the motorhome). Gary's a clean freak so the car looked like new. Gord parked it out front because they were oiling and paving the side street and had the access to his drive blocked. Some moron woman drove into it this morning at 4:30 with her Chrysler Pacifica. Can you say 'write off'? Yup - the trunk is in the front seat now. Good thing is she admitted liability and her insurance company is not contesting anything.

Got some good work done on the Cutlass today. Tomorrow I'm off to the boneyard - 1/2 price specials await and I have a list.

Clint - you and the missus have a great hot tub party!! I think more than 2 would be awkward....

Scot - glad to hear you're feeling better, Doctor! I like your prescriptions btw.

Labor Day weekend is upon us. Everyone drive safe and come home in one piece ok?
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:50 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, Hope you figure out how to get that brake line in. I run into issues like that once in a while and sometimes I know if I had a full height lift, I could get 'er done. Too bad about the cobalt. We had an accident here in town where a CSP was running lights behind a traffic issue and someone came in a compacted a crown vic.

The trooper was injured, but the tow truck operator he was trying to protect, was in front of the car and was killed. Seems to happen a lot anymore.

Good to hear from you Darrell.

Mike, No sir. We are heading out at 3:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. She has to run to Wyoming today and get a load of wood shavings. Now, that you have the vert, you should take a road trip yourself.

Sandy, I think that was the best season (although frustrating) so far. Only thing is, I'm not sure how everything is running so good on 3+ year old fuel. Yea, I know its not part of the storyline, but its things I think about.

John, Why not a 71? What takes that off the table? BTW here is a local car.
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4021862661.html

Happy Friday all.

Last edited by CQR; August 30th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:32 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter nice one.

Headed to town to take an aling friend sum grub.If I have a flat, I'm probably start a fire wit de rims hitt'in de asphalt.

I got 2 [yes 2] frigg'in dehumidifiers go TU. Becuase of de monsoons dis year dare ain't a one to be found anywhere. Dem and those doughnut mosquito kill'in thingies is flat sold out.

Mike, Next time you go to de stow [if you ever go to de stow and not de Awful house] look on de soap aisle. It's made by Ivory and is basically lye soap. When I was a pup at camp in de mountains, We bathed twice a day naked as jay birds in de lake with Octagon soap in a sock on de dock. Never had chiggers liec nutt'in.

BTW 20 mule team borax will kill fleas in carepet like magic.

Clint, enjoy your trip and post sumhot tub pics

GTG, Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all

Still pretty nice down here at the Plantation... especially since I'm home today. Don't get no better den dat.

Clint, if a '71 came my way at an absurdly low price, I prolly wouldn't be able to resist it. But I really like the '72 grille a lot, along with the rubber tail light surrounds -- to me, they're the coolest. The 71 rears look nekkit in comparison, and God help you if you need a 71 GS grille - they're like hens' teeth. As a positive, the '71 motors are still tuned pretty tightly, but since they have lower compression, they're more friendly to today's gas than the '70s. But that's usually moot, since just about all the motors have been rebuilt at this point.

Bottom line is I've never been crazy on the little things that make the '71s '71s. I'd consider a '70 b/c it's the acknowledged best year for performance (and perhaps the most handsome grille), along with being most valuable one.

But also, I have an extensive complete set of '72 GS literature and documentation I've accrued over about 20 years and would really like to complete it with a car again one of these days.

Thanks fer postin' that beautiful black one, Clint.... too bad it's a 350. It would be interesting to see how much folks offer him/her on it.

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jamesbo I've never heard of Octagon soap. Is it like 20-mule team Borax?
Hope the night went well, Mike. Growing up next door to my ol' country farmer grandfather, Pops, Octagon soap was never far away. I think it's made just like Granny Clampet's recipe; 100% lye and pig fat.
Thanks for the well-wishes for Aunt Connie, Mike. She's about the same. It doesn't seem she will ever get back home at this point; not making much progress, and I believe she's emotionally checking out. She lost 10 lbs in less than 3 weeks. That in itself is a huge red flag.

Y'all have a great L.D. weekend! I sure hope to.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 30th, 2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old August 30th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Start of the Labor Day Weekend for everyone! YAY!!!

Well last night was a light and water show from hell. It came down so hard and fast that almost every road underpass flooded, storm sewers backed up and flooded homes, and we had mini rivers almost 5' wide flowing in front of the house. Spectacular weather but truth be told I was just too tired to stay up and watch it. The high winds and rain pounding on the bedroom window kinda sounded different but it was so constant it put me to sleep in no time.

This morning is a bust for going to the boneyard. They will likely have several rows under water still. I'll wait till Saturday when all the nasty idiots equipped with wire cutters and hammers go in to 'finesse' their parts off the cars. Can't fix stupid people.

Clint - thanks for the encouragement, it's the last piece of the brake system being replaced. I think I can get it if I'm really careful with massaging a few locations and anchor a few points starting at the front. So far I've got it in place but just not tight to the frame at the back clip by the control arm. And I don't want to mess much with that tight bend that goes up to the rear brake hose. Really hate the idea of it, but if I have to temporarily drop out the axle to do it, I'll take that anyday if it makes installing the line easy. All new bolts on the CA's and shocks will make removal of the axle a lot easier. Just have to weigh the time and frustration factors of doing each job. The prop valve and front lines are also a bit of a PITA but at least they're done. So is the renewed trans shift linkages and mount brackets.

Gords car looks just like that Crown vic in your picture only in the Chevy version..

Jim - I haven't seen that 20 team Borax box since I was a kid. They still sell it down there? I bermember watching this commercial in de old days. At the end they show the 20 team wagon in action. Today it's all stuff like "shout" or 'resolve' and HE laundry stuff.