The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2024, 07:05 PM
Running On Empty

I think I see Mike leaving the wheel & tire shop...

Old July 5th, 2024, 08:36 PM

Hi guys,

I went to the Mega Cruise-in at the large church tonight. Huge turnout (>325-vehicles) and great weather. It was a great evening! I posted 100 pics and you can see them here if you want:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...8/#post1579780
Old July 6th, 2024, 01:08 AM
Always room for one more

Good 4o'clock everyone.

Woke up at 215 this morning and saw a missed call from Mom a half hour earlier. Hm didn't hear the phone. Called her back and got a jumbled mess. Started getting dressed to go over there and she called back. Did you just call? Yes I got a missed call from you a half hour ago. Nope wasn't me. It actually looks like she called and I rejected the call. Odd.

Chris it was nice of you to put a Pontiac as the first picture in your car show post. Bahaha! Actually that's a nice looking Barracuda. I can't tell if it's a 64 or a 65.

Norm that must have been yesterday afternoon. Here in the bunker we didn't even know it had rained. That looked like an intense rainbow. Roy G. Biv. I was actually in the shop at the time.

So no plans for this afternoon but I need to come up with some. If the tire place is open after work I'll go order my tires. Maybe I'll take a nap. Nah I'll do that at work.

Okay have a great weekend everyone.

Old July 6th, 2024, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good 4o'clock everyone.

Chris it was nice of you to put a Pontiac as the first picture in your car show post. Bahaha! Actually that's a nice looking Barracuda. I can't tell if it's a 64 or a 65.

Okay have a great weekend everyone.
😆 I deserved that one for sure! I did however make a point of capturing the light blue Road Toad for ya! Have a great weekend!
Old July 6th, 2024, 03:35 PM

Good evening guys,

Pretty chill day around here today except for the constants like taking care of the dogs and my workout. I had thoughts about taking the car out again this evening to a much smaller cruise-in close to me, but then decided I'd had enough car time this weekend. I'll be spending parts of several mornings this week detailing the car for another judged show in Columbia, IL next Sunday. Grilled some nice, thick New York Strips on the Weber a little while ago. They were very tender and had great flavor.

Hope everyone had a nice day and has a great evening!
Old July 6th, 2024, 04:27 PM

Nice car show pics Chris. Some pics that I took today at a smaller show that benefits Veterans at the local Harley dealership. There were seven Olds in attendance. https://photos.app.goo.gl/zSHAstgqKXrXNAAW8
Old July 6th, 2024, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Nice car show pics Chris. Some pics that I took today at a smaller show that benefits Veterans at the local Harley dealership. There were seven Olds in attendance. https://photos.app.goo.gl/zSHAstgqKXrXNAAW8
Back at ya Dan, nice pics! I think the red '66 or '67 GTO ( I have a hard time telling the difference) is my favorite. Thanks for sharing!
Old July 6th, 2024, 05:44 PM

I think the red '66 or '67 GTO
A '67. That '61 Red Buick LeSabre was one of my favorites, a real beauty.
Old July 6th, 2024, 07:09 PM

Spent a lot of today on the phone and working on a digital camera. I have an 18 year old Canon Powershot G7, and the USB mini port was damaged by my putting a bent cable end in it, so it didn't work. The new G7X Mk 3 costs 1500 bucks, so I took another look at mine, took the case off, and bent all the pins in the connector, which has part of the plastic middle thing broken and loose, right, then pushed the plastic thing into place. Carefully put a cable on it and achieved function, so I buttoned it back up.

Then I spent several hours looking for my charger. Found it recently, now I am charging batteries and checking memory cards.

Also boxed up some stuff. I ordered extra Fiestaware as several of my new pieces have flaws. So, order 5 packages, sort, send back 2 of the worst to Amazon. Also boxed up a record player to go back yet again to KAB, hopefully it stays fixed this time, and a receiver of my dad's to go off for restoration. The Pioneer SX-9000 is not a particularly great receiver, but he has had his since new, and his best buddy had his since my dad got it for him new, and Phil passed 20 years ago so Marsha, his widow, gave it back to my dad. I am going to have it restored, swap it out, and have the other restored as well. Transistors and capacitors and bulbs and grungy mechanical controls are the issue.

My old man is back to drinking a lot. My sister was bothered by his unsteadiness yesterday. I gave him the riot act over the phone today. An 80 year old man should not be dealing with alcoholism. He got clean last year and got back into it. I impressed upon him he is entering a stage where someone could call the state on him if he looks like he can't live on his own, so drinking needs to be ended permanently. We'll see.
Old July 7th, 2024, 10:04 AM

My old man is back to drinking a lot
Sorry to hear this. My dad was the same.
Old July 7th, 2024, 11:23 AM

10 am and only 101 degrees, so the wife and I enjoyed the pool before it gets too hot to even think about going outside. The pool water is 90 degrees but it felt good compared to the ambient air temperature. This past winter I put in some poles and strung a sun shade over the pool so we don’t get broiled while swimming and it REALLY made a difference. While it’s still hot, we’re not in the direct sun so it’s quite comfortable. I shoulda done this 10+ years ago.

Last edited by Fun71; July 7th, 2024 at 11:27 AM.
Old July 7th, 2024, 11:45 AM

Greg, did that EF-1 go south of you?
Old July 7th, 2024, 05:18 PM

Last edited by Jamesbo; July 7th, 2024 at 05:36 PM.
Old July 7th, 2024, 05:36 PM

I was axing my boy about the dark green shoulder cord Sargent Plumley wore in the beginning of "We were soldiers "and he said it was a unit award and he had one from the 9th infantry
Old July 7th, 2024, 05:40 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/2vdr8r.gif
Old July 7th, 2024, 06:09 PM

Thanks for posting Jim
Old July 7th, 2024, 06:24 PM

Dan, supposedly a tornado touched down at Lake George which is about 15 miles west of here. Rained here like crazy for about 45 minutes.
Old July 7th, 2024, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I was axing my boy about the dark green shoulder cord Sargent Plumley wore in the beginning of "We were soldiers "and he said it was a unit award and he had one from the 9th infantry
Jim - What an awesome picture of your son, I'm sure you're very proud of him! Thanks for sharing!

Speaking of "We Were Soldiers", and Sargent Major Plumley, I had the distinct honor of getting to spend about an hour with Lt. General Hal Moore in 2001 at one of his residences near Crested Butte, Colorado. The meeting was arranged through personal correspondence and the purpose was to interview him for a speech I was giving at a Intelligence Leadership Symposium. The title of my speech was, "Three Strikes and You're Not Out". That one hour was truly a bucket list experience!
Old July 8th, 2024, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jim - What an awesome picture of your son, I'm sure you're very proud of him! Thanks for sharing!

Speaking of "We Were Soldiers", and Sargent Major Plumley, I had the distinct honor of getting to spend about an hour with Lt. General Hal Moore in 2001 at one of his residences near Crested Butte, Colorado. The meeting was arranged through personal correspondence and the purpose was to interview him for a speech I was giving at a Intelligence Leadership Symposium. The title of my speech was, "Three Strikes and You're Not Out". That one hour was truly a bucket list experience!
What an honor

When you are certain you've explored all possibilities....................................y ou haven't

Last edited by Jamesbo; July 8th, 2024 at 03:11 AM.
Old July 8th, 2024, 05:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Back at work already. One day off just isn't enough. Especially when that one day off ends early to go back to work the next day. The money is nice but I got too much **** to do around the house. Next week he says we'll work Saturday AND Sunday. Hard to turn down double time. What's a boy to do?

Jamesbo what a nice looking young man. What's he standing in front of?

Gonna get tires for the pickup this afternoon. They cost 1600. Holy Toledo. They were 1000 ten years ago. I know things go up but almost double? And Michelin isn't even an American company, what's wrong with me? They are the best going that's what. The guy said he had a set of Wranglers he'd sell me for cheep. I don't know if they were takeoffs or a wrong order or what, I said nope, gotta have my LTXs.

John that's too bad about dad. What's changed in his life that has led him back to drinking? It's hard to say things aren't his fault, but at 80 he's likely grasping at life and frustrated that he isn't a young man anymore. Be patient but firm. Non confrontational. Says the guy that acts like Happy Gilmore.

We've started out a little slow but heck it's Monday. Things will pick up. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old July 8th, 2024, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
What an honor

When you are certain you've explored all possibilities....................................y ou haven't
Did you know LTG Moore finished in the bottom 15% of his graduating class at West Point (1945), but was the 1st in his class to reach the ranks of Brigadier General, Major General, and Lt. General. After retirement from military service he was a leader and founder of the Ski Resort in Crested Butte, CO. He was an amazing man in all aspects of his life from everything I learned. It warmed my heart when the name of Ft. Benning was changed to Ft. Moore to honor not only him, but also his wife Julie for her devotion to bettering the lives of military families.
Old July 8th, 2024, 06:35 AM

Mike it's about the Manchu March. They still do it to build team work
Old July 8th, 2024, 12:39 PM

Jim, a very nice pic of your son. A good looking man. Chris, Wow! Mike, Michelin has been making tires in the U.S. since 1910. They might be French, but they've been here awhile. They also own B.F.G., and I believe Kelly Springfield. I used to buy them as they are a great tire, but their price kept climbing well above their competitors. I ran Continental's for several years, as they matched Michelin in every catagory (The Tire Rack). Not so sure how they are with light truck tires.
Old July 8th, 2024, 03:13 PM

Chris, Wow!
Dan - There is a crazy sidebar to my visit with LTG Moore. Note that I said I had met with him in 2001. My appointment with him was on 9/9/2001. I had coordinated my appointment with him to coincide with my annual Elk hunting trip to Colorado. My ex-FIL and I had been hunting near Crested Butte for several years. In 2001 we were muzzleloader hunting and tent camping about 10-miles NNE of Crested Butte at about 10K-feet. I had left the exact coordinates of our camp with my wife at the time (now Ex), just in case of an emergency. We had no cell service at camp. On 9/12/2001 two Officers from the Colorado DNR found their way to our camp and informed me that my Agency had contacted them and said I had to return to work ASAP. Of course we all know what happened on 9/11, but we had no clue until the DNR Officers found us.
Old July 8th, 2024, 04:09 PM

Chris, you've had interesting highlights in your previous career.
Old July 8th, 2024, 04:34 PM

Chris, you've had interesting highlights in your previous career.
Dan - Yes, I am very thankful I had all the cool opportunities and projects that I had during my career there. In the grand scheme of things, it was a wonderful place to work!
Old July 8th, 2024, 06:01 PM

It was a bit warm on the drive home from work today.

Old July 9th, 2024, 09:47 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Been a good day so far here at Big D. In fact we should be just about done. Gotta run home and wait for the insurance adjuster to come look at my car. The old broad's high risk insurance company sent me a link to take pictures and send to them, then they would evaluate the pictures. I didn't like that idea and as luck would have it the link didn't work. So they're sending someone. Now where'd I put my neck brace?

Got the tires for the truck yesterday. Next big truck project is cleaning him up. He hasn't been washed in years, much less waxed. I want to get that all done for my trip to Ohio in a couple weeks.

I've never talked to anyone famous. Well except for Jamesbo. I've been in the vicinity of several famous people but never talked to them. The closest was when Tom Dreesan was appearing at the Park Forest Plaza and Mom walked up to talk to him. I had no idea who he was but she did. Next closest was we sat at the next table over from the Statler Brothers at the restaurant before their show at the Holiday Star Theater. They just walked downstairs like regular people and sat and had dinner. Mom said, should we say something to them? I said no, they just want to eat in peace. Just then a bunch of old ladies came over and yammered for several minutes. The men were very gracious and talked with them like they were old friends, then went back to eating like no big deal. That's class. By the way, their show was excellent later that evening.

You know what that's false. I shook Daniel O'Donnell's hand and spoke with him for several minutes and had my picture taken with him. Mom is a -huge- fan and we went to see him and after the show we stood in line for that opportunity. Talk about friendly. He talked to everyone in that line like they were best buds. Oh and Paula Deen. I bought her cookbook one time when she was at a book signing and stood in line for her to autograph it for Mom. Paula had some old woman running interference for her, herding us like cattle. We had strict instructions to open the book to this page, hand her the book this way, then after she signed get the hell out. When it was my turn I handed her the book and took a deep breath and said Thank you for signing this my Mom is a big fan of yours and she enjoys going to the restaurant when she comes to visit me. Paul shook my hand and said you go all the way to Savannah from here? Give your mama a hug for me! The old lady was horrified. Paula was just as warm and friendly as can be. Okay enough of that.

Okay getting on to break. I think I'll walk down to the roll up door and see if the world is still turning. Hope everyone has a good day.

Last edited by slantflat; July 9th, 2024 at 09:50 AM.
Old July 9th, 2024, 11:41 AM

Mike - Glad you've had a good day, and got your new tires. After thinking on it a bit more, it sure seems like you've met more famous people than you originally remembered!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 9th, 2024 at 01:45 PM.
Old July 9th, 2024, 12:05 PM

Hi guys - Remnants of TS Beryl moving through here last night and all day today. Ground was already saturated and there's alot of local flooding going on. The back road from our subdivision out to one of the two main roads is underwater and impassable. The primary way from the subdivision to town is still open, but getting close to flooding. We've gotten totally cut-off a couple of times through the years but only for a day or two. Continued rain the rest of today and this evening and I'm sure we'll be cut-off again at least for a little while.
Old July 9th, 2024, 12:54 PM

Chris, the system is supposed to pass just under me, I96 and south, we may get .5-.9" of rain. Parts of southeast Mi. may get between 3-5" depending which computer model is the most accurate.
Old July 9th, 2024, 01:00 PM

More wheels falling off Boeing planes in California. What's up with that?
Old July 9th, 2024, 01:04 PM

I saw that a maintainence worker in Iran, got sucked into a Boeing jet engine. It didn't end well.
Old July 9th, 2024, 01:08 PM

Woody pics

Had this guy make a visit on Sunday.
Old July 9th, 2024, 01:42 PM

Had this guy make a visit on Sunday.
Beautiful bird, and beautiful pics. Nice job Dan! 👍
Old July 9th, 2024, 02:23 PM
Always room for one more

Chris you get cut off from the world when it floods? You need an Amphicar.

Kenneth I haven't heard about any wheels falling off lately. I'll look it up. Those assemblies weigh hundreds of pounds and are going pretty fast when they depart the airplane. Whatever the wheels comes in contact with is devastated. Also, a person getting sucked into an engine doesn't end well for either the person or the engine. Or the crew that has to clean it up.

Dan the woodpeckers are peckerwoods around here. They hang onto the side of my house and peck holes in the siding.

Old July 9th, 2024, 02:29 PM

Chris you get cut off from the world when it floods? You need an Amphicar.
Yep Mike, an Amphicar would be a nice luxury right about now!
Old July 9th, 2024, 03:10 PM

Kenneth I haven't heard about any wheels falling off lately. I'll look it up.
https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/n...-lax-faa-says/

United Airlines plane lost tire while taking off from LAX, FAA says

the woodpeckers are peckerwoods around here. They hang onto the side of my house and peck holes in the siding.
They do that on my house, too, and mine is stucco. I doubt there are any insects to eat in the concrete walls. Actually, I think they do that just to make noise. They also hammer on the metal chimney cap, just to make a bunch of noise. Show off birds.
Old July 9th, 2024, 06:36 PM
Running On Empty

Absolutely excellent documentary series just released on Netflix (2024). Nine Episodes. An exceptionally well documented series and very, very timely.

"TURNING POINT: The Bomb and The Cold War"

Old July 10th, 2024, 04:45 AM

Hi guys, don't have much to say but I haven't contributed in a long time. Weather been really good around here, lots of nice sunny days with a few thunderstorms thrown in. Took Olds to a VFW car show last Saturday- pretty small and dull, Good Vittles tho... Getting interior of trailer mostly done- looks so much better. Going to paint door frame and then move on to outside. I have been volunteering with the Clare County Veteran Services- take Vets to their appts at VA hospitals, etc- very fun actually. Also still doing the Red Cross stuff which is gratifying .
A good friend just had a growth found in his pancreas. Almost for sure it's cancer... oh Man... He never had any really good paying jobs and was working until he could retire at 65 last year. Now he is 66 and enjoying life and this happens. geez.....