The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2024, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
summer is quickly fleeting.
I certainly hope so. This can't end soon enough.

Old July 29th, 2024, 02:30 PM

My vote goes for the wife beater in the cop car
Old July 29th, 2024, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
My vote goes for the wife beater in the cop car
Ya, that guy's a sketchy looking dude!
Old July 29th, 2024, 07:56 PM

Did half of what I should've done this weekend today after work. Rolled the lawnmower into the garage, removed the deck with broken belt. Very clogged with debris and that belt had taken several other hits in the past year. I don't think it was as good of a belt as the original. Hosed and scraped the gunk off the deck while talking to my mom on the phone. Once done, pulled the battery, and got the top drive belt off. This is unnecessarily complicated as you have to jam and loosen a bolt on a pulley to get the belt by a tight spot; it's not for the belt retention, it's just a dumb design. Got the lower drive belt off of what is called the variable speed pulley and went to the front of the engine, channel locked the shaft, and got that pulley off and now I could pull the other belt.

Putting the new belts on sucked a bit as these are 5/8 belts and the old ones had shrunk down a bit. This Troy Bilt Pony, and a lot of other mowers, uses a vertical shaft Briggs with two pulleys. The bottom one is for the deck and has a keeper; you throw a lever, it cinches up on the pulley and, bam, blades on. The top one is for a long belt which goes back to the variable speed pulley. This pulley is interesting as, when you change gear, it pulls the belt train tighter and raises your gearing ratio going to the transmission by cinching the belt more into the beveled pulley, thus making the shaft turn faster. There is then another, coaxial pulley which goes off to an idler and to the pulley on the FNR gearbox. I put all the drive belt stuff together. Tomorrow I will change blades and belt on the clean and dry deck and put it back under the mower. I bought standard blades; the mower is a mulcher with mulcher blades that I run with the plug out and no snoot on the deck hole as I like driving close to things. Hopefully these blades will toss more out the side.

We'll see if I have it all right here in a couple days.
Old July 30th, 2024, 09:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone. For a few more minutes.

Got up early and took Tiger to Mom's then came in for overtime. That was a mistake. No wall guys. I didn't get my first wheel till after 5 and I sat there the whole time I couldn't keep my eyes open. Six wheels on overtime. So after 6 my robot guy started training a new guy, and my wall guy is new, so we are on super slow speed today. I have 15 wheels done so far.

I have a mower that needs a deck belt as well. I have the belt, but I'm procrastinating putting it on. When I finally get it going I'm going to take it to Mom's and leave it. I've got a trimmer that spools up like a jet engine. I'll probably have to use that to mow with if it doesn't stop raining soon.

Doctor's appointment this afternoon I need to take Mom to. I hope this doesn't start up the rotation again. We haven't been to one for awhile and usually when one comes up all the others follow.

Think I'll go down to the roll up door. The computer says it's 83 and sunny out. I don't believe it. I sure wish we had windows in here.

Okay I see it's slipped past noon. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old July 30th, 2024, 05:01 PM
Running On Empty

Mike/John - Prior to 2011, I dreaded working on most lawn equipment, yet it was a necessary evil having to bend over constantly, sit on the ground/concrete or lay on the same. When I bought the motorcycle (pneumatic/hydraulic) lift [2011] I could have not imagined how simple & easy working on lawn equipment could be when it is directly at waist height. That lift is a real benefit. You can drop the mower deck so much easier & faster, change blades in no time, filters, belts, oil & basically - well, you get the idea. And, all w/o risk of tearing up your back and banging your knuckles everywhere.
Old July 30th, 2024, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike/John - Prior to 2011, I dreaded working on most lawn equipment, yet it was a necessary evil having to bend over constantly, sit on the ground/concrete or lay on the same. When I bought the motorcycle (pneumatic/hydraulic) lift [2011] I could have not imagined how simple & easy working on lawn equipment could be when it is directly at waist height. That lift is a real benefit. You can drop the mower deck so much easier & faster, change blades in no time, filters, belts, oil & basically - well, you get the idea. And, all w/o risk of tearing up your back and banging your knuckles everywhere.

It can sure help
Old July 30th, 2024, 06:02 PM
Running On Empty

^^Keith knows^^
Old July 30th, 2024, 06:12 PM

^^Keith knows^^
Only the Shadow knows . . .

Old July 30th, 2024, 06:28 PM

Old July 30th, 2024, 06:47 PM

Momma's homemade Apple pie made with Granny Smith apples, nice and tart, and the apples stay firm. Needed some Vanilla ice-cream, I'll have some to go with it by tomorrow's slice.

Old July 30th, 2024, 06:50 PM

Thanks Keith, gotta love The Shadow! 👍
Old July 30th, 2024, 07:25 PM

That Apple Pie looks good. Now I have to go look for Marie Callander..... That is the 1st time I listened to an episode of the Shadow, pretty cool
Old July 30th, 2024, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
That Apple Pie looks good. Now I have to go look for Marie Callander..... That is the 1st time I listened to an episode of the Shadow, pretty cool
Thanks Keith, I'll let my wife know!

The Shadow radio program aired from 1930 until 1954. My Dad said he
and his brothers would listen to it almost every time it aired.
Old July 30th, 2024, 11:07 PM

Big *** storm came through. Missed me but got after my employer with toppling some trucks. Those blades were on TIGHT. I ruined a phillips screwdriver as a jammer. I will keep it for that. One jammer, one giant breaker bar, some freeze off penetrent, and I was able to heave one off and stand on the other. Once loose, good threads and the new blades went on. Hung the deck and made sure to use the last special cotter pin on the pto cable as the normal one left the building. Used normal cotter pins to hold the deck on the back to the lifter. Adjusted the front bolt and put the belt on fully and we are done. It did suck working on this thing as I had to be under the left, the right, the front, and above the back. Maybe that jack would help.

In the mean time, the storm is coming and my dad calls me, who I haven't spoken to in a week due to him being hospitalized with my brother running point. He seemed tired and weak but halfway lucid. His kidneys are back running, and he no longer has internal gut bleeding. They got him peeing and moving bowels. Should discharge him to skilled nursing for a colonoscopy, PT, rehab, and anything else he needs. After that it is the Big Question. Hopefully, he does not think he can still live at home. We're setting the skilled nursing up at a retirement village where he can do independent and or assisted living. We shall see how hard it is to convince him to go live someplace where they cook, clean, do laundry, cut your grass, give you activities if you want them, you have friends, and there's a gym. Hell, I might go live there.
Old July 31st, 2024, 02:50 AM

John good you have your mower project complete. Hang in there with regard to your father, hope things ease up for him and he takes up the new living arrangement
Old July 31st, 2024, 04:32 AM

Good luck with your Dad, John. I have been thru that stage and it sucks- getting closer all the time for wife and I, Enough of that talk... I bought new cheap belts online for my mower and 2 weeks later regreted it. Mine is hydostatic and the belt to transmission has to be a good quality and tight or it will slip and it won't pull my fat *** up hills!
Old July 31st, 2024, 05:36 AM
Running On Empty

Other than pulley lubrication & changing mower blades the only item I have changed on the mowing deck of my JD ZT225 has been the single traction drive belt which engages PTO, blades & transmission; and, it was quite simple.

Old July 31st, 2024, 05:44 AM

John - Prayers for you and your Dad that he will listen to you kids and be receptive to the idea of new living arrangements. I wish you all the best.

Hope the storm did not cause any major damage at your home? Glad you were able to get your mower going again. 👍
Old July 31st, 2024, 05:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Two biscuits in already. One guy's last day, and another guy was late. Actually a third guy was late but he isn't quite up to snuff with the local policies. Times past someone late not showing up with donuts or the like would be subject to being duct taped to a table, hand cream poured all over him, and pushed throughout the hangar. Today's kinder and gentler company doesn't allow that. Too bad.

Decided against overtime this morning. The extra 2 hours of sleep really was nice, and I'm not falling asleep at my desk. Tiger wanted to go out at midnight and that was it, so minimal disruption. When I was in Ohio I still woke up during the night, wondering why Tiger wasn't waking me up.

Finally got the afternoon to myself. I'll put in a load of laundry and then find something to do around the house. I'll probably mow. It isn't supposed to rain today. I need to unhook the pickup from the trailer and do something with the trailer. I need to take the convertible to the body shop to have them look at the back bumper. I really need to move the Spartan trailer and get the Valiant out of the shed behind the Spartan. The roof has been caving in and I notice now that the roof has failed and fallen on the Valiant. I don't know if it fell and damaged the car or if it was a gradual thing and it's just resting on the car. I'm hoping for the latter of course.

Chris I put chocolate ice cream on apple pie. I think we've discussed this before.

John I don't envy that conversation. At 83 Mom is holding her own and doing fine by herself. Of course I am there every day and have noticed over the past couple years that she's been here I'm helping out more and more. I don't mind. I think she is too mean to let herself go to a home of some sort. Just remember, non-confrontational.

Okay so break time has come and gone. Wheels are slow. I have my new and slow wall guy, and a different new robot guy. Going to lunch today because it's Wednesday. Might even walk down to the credit union. Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Old July 31st, 2024, 09:04 AM

Mike - Happy Hump Day! Biscuits sound good, I may need to substitute Apple pie!

Been outside this morning cleaning on my car after traveling some slightly wet roads on the way home from the show last Sunday. First had to hand wash the road grime off, then chrome polished both bumpers, then detailed the rear deck. That was enough for today, I was sopping wet by 1030 and couldn't keep the sweat out of my eyes and off my glasses. Kinda tough to detail when ya can't see. I'll try to get out a little earlier tomorrow. This week's Show isn't until Sunday, so still plenty of time to get the car ready.

We're in another Heat Warning period, temps in the mid-90's and a Heat Index around 110 or higher, can cut the humidity with a knife. Not fit for man nor beast!

Wife found a date stamped, hand crank agitator, washing machine with wringer from 1898. It's pretty damn cool! I'll try and get some pictures when I can. I'm sure it was on the cutting edge in It's day!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old July 31st, 2024, 10:30 AM

Here's a couple picks of the 1898 hand crank washing machine and wringer. All the gear mechanisms on both the washer and wringer are still fully functional. Too cool! Not sure what she's gonna do in the area of restoration yet??? I do know she's gonna make it look pretty and probably use it as an accent piece somewhere in the house.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 31st, 2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old July 31st, 2024, 10:52 AM
Always room for one more

That is one cool piece. My unsolicited opinion is she clean it up and leave it exactly the way it is. Any kind of painting or stenciling or embellishing will detract from its value and charm. Those agitators don't seem very long.

Jamesbo did you get any of that storm that was on the north side last night or this morning? Someone put up a sign on the bulletin board selling two cemetery lots. It says save money over buying from the cemetery. Doesn't any sale have to go through them anyway? Are lots deeded like other real estate?

Nice and sunny and hot out. Supposed to be that way a couple days then rain Saturday.

Old July 31st, 2024, 11:03 AM

That is one cool piece. My unsolicited opinion is she clean it up and leave it exactly the way it is. Any kind of painting or stenciling or embellishing will detract from its value and charm. Those agitators don't seem very long.
Thanks Mike! Might just be the pic, but without measuring I'd say they extend 2/3's to 3/4's of the way down into the tub.
Old July 31st, 2024, 11:22 AM

Mike, Got sum rain but no storm. Cemeteries used to give deeds but now a days they sell The right to be buried w/o a deed transfer. WE are only involved in a transfer to the extent that we need to know who owns what and has the right to bury their mother ,father, sister, brother etc
Old August 1st, 2024, 06:01 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Came in at the regular time today. I was mad at the lead. We have a lot of new people and he puts them in the critical roles, and the people training them sit and look at their phones instead of working with them. Then the lead has the gall to say AT THE END OF THE DAY you need to work harder. **** that guy. He has every opportunity to make things work better and he does nothing. He takes it as a personal affront if you don't come in for overtime. Nevermind that he doesn't.

Took me an hour and 45 minutes to get home yesterday. A truck was on fire on the expressway. The police around here have no clue how to handle traffic in an irregular situation. They just closed the whole expressway. So three lanes of traffic were forced to exit on a one lane exit. Get to the top and there are about a dozen officers waving their arms like they are mad, and each of them is having traffic do something different. And of course the traffic signal is doing what it's programmed to do. Mayhem. It sucked.

Also rained yesterday. Didn't get a thing done. Today it's just supposed to be hot. Rain is rather inconvenient.

Another cemetery question Jamesbo. Is the Dignity group just an Atlanta area thing or are they all over? I looked at a couple places up home and they were still owned by the families, well over 100 years. I'd think they'd be perfect places for the Dignity people to take over. Wallpaper and all.

Chris you should wash a load in that machine and see how it turns out.

Okay break is over and I'm waiting on wheels. This week has gone fairly fast. No overtime for me this weekend, I have a meeting Saturday morning I need to go to. I had other plans that I'd rather do, but the meeting has to do with my neighborhood and the guy I think is going to try to take it over. Have a good day everyone.

Old August 1st, 2024, 08:25 AM

Good morning everyone.

Came in at the regular time today. I was mad at the lead. We have a lot of new people and he puts them in the critical roles, and the people training them sit and look at their phones instead of working with them. Then the lead has the gall to say AT THE END OF THE DAY you need to work harder. **** that guy. He has every opportunity to make things work better and he does nothing. He takes it as a personal affront if you don't come in for overtime. Nevermind that he doesn't.
Mike - Hang in there buddy, keep your head down and just do your job, regardless of what they throw at ya. Said this before, but my last couple of years were HELL, I only stayed because it was gonna make a considerable difference in my pension! Keep your eye on the prize and get out as soon as you know you can comfortably make it, there are no guarantees how long any of us will be here. Praying for the best for ya!
Old August 1st, 2024, 08:34 AM
Running On Empty

The leads where Mike works should all be axed &/or the bar raised on qualification(s) &/or correct managing. Generally, I find two streams: (1) The lead sucks (for many reasons); and, (2) The wall guy(s) suck. When the two combine i.e. suck-*** lead + suck-*** wall guy(s) on any particular day I can imagine the ridiculousness which ensues.
Old August 1st, 2024, 08:41 AM

Good morning guys,

Inside for a moment cooling off from working in the garage on my car. Got up too late and didn't get out nearly as early as I had hoped. Won't get nearly as much done as I had hoped. I have my portable radio outside and heard this song come on which I've played probably a 100 times. Made sure my girls listened to it, more than once, hopefully it stuck. The grandkids are next. This song is as much a universal truth as any I've heard. My Dad taught me that 30-years before the song existed.

Old August 1st, 2024, 08:56 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - "Some Of It" lyrics are spot-on.
Old August 1st, 2024, 09:11 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris. I'm not going anywhere. I actually like my job, it's the inept that irritate me. Luckily not everyone is like that or the company couldn't survive. My favorite job of all time was working on the ramp. Many reasons I couldn't go back to that. I'd probably put in for lead if my lead left. Heck I couldn't do any worse.

Old August 1st, 2024, 09:25 AM

Chris - "Some Of It" lyrics are spot-on.
Norm - Yes, they sure are. I just got lucky to have parents that cared enough to teach me those truths. I sure didn't always listen, but looking back, 99% of the time they were right!
Old August 1st, 2024, 09:25 AM
Running On Empty

After successfully completing my basic (one year) A&P training @ 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard Air Force base (1975) I was assigned to the flight-line (ramp) @ Norton AF base. In addition to the daily flight-line responsibilities I was also responsible for two significant roles: (1) Semi-trailer tractor driver responsible for unloading all crash recovery equipment (generators, tools, etc.) including, you've seen 'em - the large pneumatic air bags to lift the aircraft up; and, (2) monitoring aircraft landing configurations during select exercises with no radio communications.
Old August 1st, 2024, 09:46 AM

After successfully completing my basic (one year) A&P training @ 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard Air Force base (1975) I was assigned to the flight-line (ramp) @ Norton AF base. In addition to the daily flight-line responsibilities I was also responsible for two significant roles: (1) Semi-trailer tractor driver responsible for unloading all crash recovery equipment (generators, tools, etc.) including, you've seen 'em - the large pneumatic air bags to lift the aircraft up; and, (2) monitoring aircraft landing configurations during select exercises with no radio communications.
Norm - I realize this was probably directed to Mike because he posted about "working the ramp", but it never ceases to amaze me how many different jobs you've had throughout your life.
Old August 1st, 2024, 09:50 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I realize this was probably directed to Mike because he posted about "working the ramp", but it never ceases to amaze me how many different jobs you've had throughout your life.
Chris - Ha, I've maintained a full plate all my life.
Old August 1st, 2024, 10:19 AM
Running On Empty

...monitoring aircraft landing configurations during select exercises with no radio communications.
Expanding on monitoring landing configurations I'll embellish. All aircraft are configured in basically exactly the same manner during approach i.e. flaps fully extended, spoilers, slats, etc. During a non-audio (no communications) exercise radio communications are not allowed after the point of impact with the runway - a normal aircraft landing. However, each military aircraft (and pilot, of course) is responsible for visual displays/configurations after landing regardless of aircraft type. These configurations are visual signals representing the state of the aircraft, on-board cargo, cargo to unload (this is generally VERY special cargo, use your imagination), etc., etc. As an example - aircraft lands & certain lights remain OFF or ON, flaps are not retracted or retracted to a "certain" position or fully retracted, ailerons remain in a select position, horizontal & vertical stabilizers relative positions. Each of these visual configurations are provided after the aircraft lands & while on the active runway & anywhere in the tarmac i.e. aircraft stopped on taxiway, aircraft stopped at end of runway, direction of turns (left, right, etc.). You have to be on top of the game when these exercises are taking place - jet fighters, reconnaissance aircraft, cargo aircraft, etc. all have the ability to (as identified above) display aircraft configurations & purpose. Additional information: Aircraft under distress, aircraft under hostile conditions e.g. hijacking, type of cargo to unload, ,etc.
Old August 1st, 2024, 10:36 AM

Mike, just hold on to the thought that one day, you'll be able to tell that guy to hold your *****, or something similar.

Norm, that reminds me of the waffle house ordering system.

Rolled the mower out of the garage yesterday, fired it up. Engaged the drive, nothing. Ran it through a few cycles, heard something clunk, now I have drive. Deck worked. Started mowing. Made a few laps in the front yard, got literally as far away from the garage as I could and completely lost steering. It's a ball and socket fitting crimped together that failed. Went to Tractor Supply and bought the wrong one. Came home, found out it was the wrong one. I'll get the right one today. It's simply bolt on from the extending/retracting steering rod that pushes/pulls the inside of the right knuckle. Redneck fix is drill it through and use a bolt through the eye, but I'll get a real part. Front yard is half mowed. It rained while I was gone so no mowing anyway. I'll mow it tomorrow.
Old August 1st, 2024, 11:13 AM

Expanding on monitoring landing configurations I'll embellish.
Norm - I find your embellishment fascinating. Some of it I knew, some I didn't. From 2005 - 2008, I was in charge of the NGA organization responsible for the Flight Information Program/Products (FLIP) that included producing the planning, enroute, and terminal flight charts carried by all DoD flight crews on every flight. I learned more about DoD aviation than I could ever regurgitate.
https://www.dla.mil/Aviation/Offers/Mapping/FLIP/

One of the perks of being in charge of that program was getting to attend the annual Mission Planners User's Conference (MPUC) where I got to interact directly with the actual customers who were using our products to fly safely from point A to point B everyday! Very rewarding!

Old August 1st, 2024, 12:05 PM
Running On Empty

The most I've accomplished today is to wash dishes & make the bed. It's too hot & muggy to do anything outdoors. Found I can watch the grass grow from inside of house.
Old August 1st, 2024, 12:23 PM
Running On Empty

I'm sure everyone who supports NGA is performing admirably monitoring developments of select players in the Arctic.