The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2019, 02:32 AM

mawn'in

Norm, I'm a might confused [what's new] are the white closer than the Blues or farther back?

I played the tips once [with a club pro] had to hit my driver on par 3's

Our blues are the next back from the whites, I play both depending on who I'm playing with

I'm a Foot Joy guy myself

While we're on the subject of equipment, I play Ping Beryllium Copper irons [mainly cause, the were banned from construction for environmental reasons] ya let the heads sit in a bucket of Coca Cola over night they really shine [and if ya leave them in too long the shafts with fall apart]
I use Ping G 5 woods

And Callaway Chrome soft *****

Which I about to go loose a few in a couple of hours

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 16th, 2019, 05:50 AM

Hi Guys, All is well here. Hate to see summer coming to a end. My shoulder is feeling better and I can actually do some things now. Started to work on my Polaris snowmobile yesterday. It would flood out last year after it sat a while, had to remove the plugs and dry to get to start, so I'm going to rebuild the carbs, also go thru it all while it's warm out, check bearings,etc. Getting barn organized after the big move when we piled everything in the barn. Now that the shop and upstairs are mostly finished I can put stuff away properly. The problem will be trying to find things after they are put away! My son has taken his boat out of the water and next weekend will put in barn for winter, then will come his father in law's boat, my boat, the Cutlass, then the 56 f100. Lots of work always a bummer putting stuff away.
-- I don't golf so I really don't know much about that conversation. Sounds frustrating!
Have a good one guys!!
Old September 16th, 2019, 09:02 AM

Greg, I like the fall weather, but I hate that the car show season is ending. One more to attend in Pentwater in October, and then that's it.
Old September 16th, 2019, 10:37 AM

Greg, it's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer..........................it feels sooooooooooooooo good when ya stop

44/45
Old September 16th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Back to hot. Love it. But I might skip Summit tonight because of it, no one shows up when it's this hot.

Didn't do overtime this morning. Got to bed fairly early but was still awake at 1130. No way I'd go to work on 2 hours of sleep. Didn't look like I missed much.

I don't think I went to a car show this summer, save for the Monday night Summit shows. So much for having weekends off, that's why I wanted them. There is a big show coming up in Senoia at the end of the month I'm going to. Senoia is the place where they film The Walking Dead. No zombies during the show, though.

Well I'll find something to do and then wind down for the evening. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old September 16th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Running On Empty

James - The White tee-box is closer to the green than the blue tee box. This is the standard USGA tee box placements/settings (as I listed above) from front to back:

Red - short knockers (generally women's tees)
Gold - often 70+ age super, super seniors
White - often 65+ age, super seniors
Blue - often 60+ age, seniors
Green - long knockers (< 60 yrs age)
Black - professional (scratch golfers - generally)

My irons are Callaway X-20 series - standard steel flex
I carry x3 wedges: 52* Cleveland, 56* Cleveland, 63* (all standard steel flex)
Driver (10.5*) TaylorMade Burner (fiberglass standard flex)
3-Wood TaylorMade Burner (fiberglass standard flex)

I've been banging on Titleist AVX now for 1.5 months and love them.

Greg - Glad you're about done healing. No harm in babying it just a bit longer. Soooooooooooo much easier working on snowmobiles while it's still warm for sure. You're digging that upstairs in the barn I know it!

Dan - Our fall will begins about the beginning of October and lasts until end of November perhaps middle of December. This time of year here is absolutely gorgeous.

Mike - I did not know Walking Dead is filmed in Senoia. That's interesting. It looks like they have a great dirt track raceway, also. From pictures it looks like red clay - that would be so cool! Get that Corvair over there Mike!
Old September 16th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Do you get Netflix?
Old September 16th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Oh no, not again...

Thanks for the advice on the footwear guys, but I honestly think the next time I go out it'll be with my regular Clark's walking shoes on. It'll probably be next year anyway, this morning it felt like snow.
The Electra decided to die this past weekend, starter quit and I haven't had a chance to properly diagnose it yet. So I guess my vintage car season is coming to a close. The trees are all turning colour and the leaves are falling off, and the bunny rabbits are turning white, so that means another cold miserable winter is just around the corner, probably next week. I'm still waiting for this expected "climate change" or "Global Warming" to happen, because if anything the summers have been getting cooler and wetter and the winters colder and snowier. No, it's gotta be a function of climate change because someplace else in the world is heating up. Has nothing to do with Newton, or chemistry, or radiation or physics.
Nah...You don't suppose all of our esteemed and venerable Leaders and special interest groups could be full of hot air now, do you? Just because they've figured out a way to tax air and justify it? I could never say that...Nah...
I am so not looking forward to another lousy winter in this godforsaken place!
Old September 17th, 2019, 05:20 AM

--Marc, now what do you really mean about the long cold winter- don't hold back now.... Seriously I know what you mean about winter and I'm sure yours is longer than ours here. Sorry to hear about the starter. You will figure it out. I remember I took a auto electrical class years ago. It went into how the automotive starter first developed. At first it was thought that a electric starter for a internal combustion engine would never work as it would draw to much juice and get too hot,etc. Then they figured it might work for limited use as long as it was allowed to cool and not cranked for too long. That always stuck in my head and I always thought starters were something to be careful with and use sparingly. In the same class we took apart some rebuilt starters right off the shelf that were going to be sold and saw how they were junk. Shoddy. Then later back in the 80's when I owned many GM cars of the 70's I remember many starter problems. There was a rebuilder that I liked to use, their starters seemed much better. Now look how dependable they starters are! They put them inside the engine on some! And some cars actually shut off at a traffic light and restart like a golf cart!!
--Take care guys!
Old September 17th, 2019, 09:46 AM

Norm, I hate ta tell ya but our tee markers are different

Gold = tips,
Blues= good player
Whites, average players
green=ladies

We also have sum burgundytees so the really good players can play 2 par 5 as par 4's
Old September 17th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Was below 70* on the way in at 330, and is above 90 now. Supposed to cool off to the 80s and 50s at night coming up. But no rain. Yay.

Busy morning. I signed off 34 wheels between 4 and 11. Doesn't sound like a lot but most of them were mains and they take awhile to fill. After lunch production dropped off severely, but we finished our work and the lead was pleased.

Norm I don't have Netflix. I don't have TV. I cancelled the cable and now there's a couch backed up to the TV so I can't even see it.

Marc bad starter in an old GM car, no problem. Crawl under and bang on it a couple times with a BFH. She'll start. Maybe not the optimum thing in the middle of a slushy parking lot.

Greg my Mom's car(new Equinox) does that auto stop/start thing. I hate it. She doesn't even notice. I can't imagine the wear that is putting on the starter and the motor itself. It's about 10x more cycles than it normally would have each trip. When I'm driving I fake it out by either shifting to low, where it won't do it, or I can ease up on the brake pedal just as I'm about stopped, and it won't do it. It must get its signal from the brakes. Odd.

The lead is bringing in stuffed pizza tomorrow. I'm taking the day off. Would be awesome if the place called and said the car was done. Can't get too involved in anything because I still have to go to bed early for work Thursday.

Okay gonna go enjoy the afternoon. Have a good day everyone.
Old September 17th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Running On Empty

James - Right-on. There are no established USGA 'rules' which govern the colors - local courses are free to establish their own colors if they wish. I was just providing the general placements which often follow the USGA tee-box colors, but there is sometimes inconsistencies in even those colors. Fact is, there are no rules on colors anywhere in USGA rules - except for the delineation of the tee box and teeing area - which must be clearly outlined for tournament play. Burgundy tees....say what? I've played a couple courses which do have that theme regarding par 5 versus par 4 you mention.
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:07 PM

Tanks Norm, I musta read your post wrong. I thought you meant there were sum kinda USGA color theme and we [ club] was doing something wrong. I'm pretty good friends with the grounds superintendent and all his [English speaking part] of the crew. They can tell sum funny $hit people bitch about..

Sum yahoo walked 18 and wanted a cart to make the last 200 yards up to the club house. Sum how it fell thru the cracks and he gave everyone holly hell. [He also got a letter of reprimand]

For the life of me I can figger out WTF it is soooooooooooo important to sum people that the tees be mowed perfectly straight lining up with the fairway

Course I'm out there enjoying the flora and the fauna and not paying alot of attention to whcih was the mowers path looks like

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1D0C&FORM=VIRE
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Running On Empty

I’ve seen that clip before. Maybe you posted it? What a fricking embarrassment.
Old September 18th, 2019, 03:53 AM

Sorry Norm, It's had for me to remember what I had for breakfast sometimes
Old September 18th, 2019, 07:10 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah what fun it is to play hooky. Slept in, went to Awful house, now I have a beautiful day all to myself.

Funny thing at Awful house. I was parked by the door, a little over the line because the car next to me was over the line. The windows were down maybe 3-4 inches, and the people in the car next to me come out and are just standing on the curb. The woman finally starts inching down the side of the car, pressed up against the side of the car and just looking at Tiger. The man inches down the car and opens the drivers door and the woman jumps in like she's a stunt man. The man is standing there with his head in the door and still pressed up against the side of the car. I look at Tiger and he's got his nose out the window. He isn't barking or acting up, just has his chin resting on the top of the glass. I think that's the funniest thing I'll see all day.

I need to go get a new chain saw. I'm gonna get an expensive one but I'm hoarding my money in case that house I want comes available again. This is the one next door to my shop. I have a secondary contract in, in case the first one falls through. Once they close, though, I'll have all this money just sitting around.

Okay gonna find something to do. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Always room for one more

So I was over at the shop today looking around, and doing some measuring. If this house doesn't work out, I'm going to build a big building at the shop(with the two level pad). So I walk over to the edge of the yard to start at the marker, and there's no marker. I looked all around, certain I was in the right spot. Kept walking to where the other marker [was]. Not there either. Walked to the corner where the property ends, and the ribbon is -missing- from the fence post. These markers were taken deliberately. Thick grey PVC tube with the ribbon on it. At the corner there are pins next to the fence post, and the ribbon has been taken off them. I know there was ribbon tied between the pins and the fence post. So I walk down the hill, which is no easy task, and that marker, which was the PVC tubing, with about 10 feet of ribbon on it and tied to a wooden stake next to it, was missing.

I can't imagine why someone would take these markers. They are in the woods. Maybe a hunter took them so he could shoot something on my property and then claim it wasn't marked and he didn't know? There are a couple deer stands a few yards from my property, good place for deer and wild turkey. There are no neighbors who would be disagreeing with the survey.

Once at the bottom of the hill I walked all the way over to the other corner, and that marker was still there, right next to the pins, and ribbon still attached. I couldn't walk up at this point, it was too thick. I've walked the entire property in the past and have seen all the markers.

So question. How can I mark the entire property line, which would be 3 non-square acres, that couldn't be taken down and wouldn't get smashed by the falling trees. These woods are not a quality stand of trees, and one falls from time to time.

The property was surveyed when I bought it, much to the chagrin of the people selling it. They didn't want to do it, I think it cost around 400 bucks, they kept telling me they had one but couldn't find it. So a new one was done. I'd sure hate to have to have one done myself to find the exact line. Maybe I can take a garden rake down to the corner and scratch around to see if there are pins. What a pain. What's wrong with people.
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Running On Empty

I learned a long time ago to INSIST & REQUIRE any survey I pay for the surveyor MUST use solid iron/steel markers embedded at 3’ minimum depth @ each corner. Tops of each marker contains specifics regarding property lot/line/GPS location coordinates. Some of these survey outfits are 100% USELESS.
Old September 18th, 2019, 12:21 PM

Mike, borrow a metal detector and mark it IPF [iron pin found]

or

Most surveyors can keep the coordinates and re mark them for not too much

jes use big rocks in the corners [next to the iron pins]
Old September 19th, 2019, 06:04 AM

Here'a new one on me, De Super says "We need to talk" Translation you need to listen to what I've already made up my mind about.

We need to paint the house. I have made an appointment for a painter to come by in the morning to get an estimate

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK, [forget the fact that My handy man could do it]

Anywho this painter show up at 8 a.m and she has a brief chat. He won't paint a house built before 1978. Lead paint and says he have to wear special suits to paint the house.

My House was built in 1896

I wonder how you're spose to preserve historic houses
Anyway

Old September 19th, 2019, 09:38 AM

Mike, I bought some land a few years ago, It was a land contract and I didn't have a survey done. Anyway we went out with a techy friend and he went on a app where locations are stored or something like that and he said the marker should be here and we found the marker! Anyway if you could use that app and mark where the markers were on your gps phone then you maybe could go back there and see where the spot is... Does that make any sense??? I'm not explaining it properly... anyway ask around, yeah I'm sure someone, probably your neighbor doesn't like where the markers were....
Old September 19th, 2019, 11:48 AM

cannot decode D6A please help.

Hello all. I have an all original 1985 supreme brougham coupe. cannot decode D6A please help.
Old September 19th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Uneventful day at work. Found out we're working Saturday, which I think is a good thing.

Greg that's the thing, I don't have any neighbors. I'd love to surround the place in chain link, but that really isn't feasible, not to mention it would be rather expensive. I think what I'll do is plant a few fence posts and string barbed wire between them. I don't need to keep anything in or out, just that I'm thinking barbed wire is cheep. I can do a section at a time. That's a good idea calling the people who did the survey, they might come out and relocate just that one corner.

Sorry 7, my book of GM option codes doesn't even list D6A. Sure that's what it says? The majority of the D section is interior stuff.

Chiro day. I also need to stop at the auto parts store and get some primer and paint. One of the rims I cleaned up I thought was a 14", but when it was next to the two 15" ones it was exactly the same size. Good thing I saw that now, instead of taking it in to the tire place and asking for a 14 to go on there. Also something interesting I saw, two of the rims are truck rally rims off my 90 G20. The rims have a manufacture date of 1987.

Okay gonna get ready for the afternoon. Just got a call, the Corvair is ready, I'll have to get it tomorrow. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old September 19th, 2019, 02:45 PM

Mike, I've never seen your property BUT stringing barbed wire in a pine grove is axing fer trouble. every ice storm is gonna take down your wire
Old September 19th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Always room for one more

I know, but I have to do something. They aren't pines, they are crappy trees that rot and fall down. How about if I put those puffing machines out that they have at the airport to scare birds. It will scare the deer and then no one will want to hunt around there.

Chiro wasn't bad today, then I went to Auto Zone to get some paint. They didn't have squat. So I guess it's Walmart over the weekend. It will be cheeper there anyway. The rims shouldn't rust too bad by then.

Okay bed time in a minute. Have a good night everyone.
Old September 20th, 2019, 05:21 AM

Headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Running On Empty

41/38
Old September 21st, 2019, 07:05 AM
Running On Empty

Picking up (renting) another 55’ articulating boom lift today for the weekend to finish up hurricane recovery. 50’ Ash tree uprooted ready to fall on neighbors bldg. Insurance adjuster said they won’t pay for removal unless it has fallen over and caused damage to a structure. WTF

This is basically how I blew out my left scapular last year - lovely. I’ll probably take down the entire tree.
Old September 21st, 2019, 08:03 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Seemed like we were in and out of work today. Started at 4, out by 930. That ain't bad. If I would have stayed home I would still be home at this same time from Awful house, and I've already been to Awful house. And it's a beautiful day.

Norm be careful with the tree. Is it uprooted but still somewhat upright? I rented one of those booms once, to cut down a tree. It didn't end well.

My plan for the day is to take a door apart on the Vista Cruiser to see if I can get the key code off the lock and have a key made. You might remember I can't get the key to turn in the ignition switch. I'd like to keep from taking the steering wheel off and everything under it to take out the lock cylinder to get the shifter to move.

Well I hope everyone is deep into a good weekend by now.
Old September 21st, 2019, 01:11 PM
Running On Empty

The fun never stops around here. This is not the uprooted tree. Well, I guess you can’t actually see the Southern Scrub Oak but this one is getting trimmed & cleared of dead, decaying limbs/branches. Yes, it’s uprooted & leaning. I’ll get to that 50’ Ash tomorrow. Might get to the Chaucer Magnolia before sunset today.

Old September 21st, 2019, 03:05 PM

I went to use the garbage disposal in the sink yesterday, and something clattered for a second, and then poof, a spark and it stopped. I opened the door under the sink to see water coming out of the bottom of the disposal, so I quickly grabbed old towels and a small bucket to try and catch what I could. I unplugged the disposal and removed it, as I really don't need the thing (when water comes out of the bottom, it is shot). I had a look inside of it to see that the bottom of the strainer had broken off and dropped down into it. So, I installed new plumbing with a T for the dishwasher, ran water down it, and it's clogged. Took the plumbing out up to the point where it goes into a iron pipe, at which point it goes down into the concrete floor to the main line, which isn't clogged. I ran one of those cheap plastic drain cleaners down it, but no luck. I put it back together, and will run Drano down the dang thing. Mike if you can get the number for your key, Joe P. can cut you a new one.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 05:06 AM

Norm, that looks like quite a useful contraption, though scary. I have wondered about renting one myself in the past. be careful and let us know how it goes.
Dan, UGH plumbing! That is never good....
Mike, good luck on the door lock- it shouldn't be too bad as long as the cardboard door panels are good.
Yesterday wife and I took a 60 mile trip in Cutlass to Cadillac and back. It was warm and good convertible weather. This morning I am eating cold left over pizza. Sounds weird but I have always liked cold pizza since my parents would bring it back after they would go out for a "date" sometimes without us kids. It was a treat to eat it cold out of the box in the fridge the next morning. Then there weren't microwave ovens. Anyway it's good cold sometimes! Take care guys....
Old September 22nd, 2019, 05:29 AM
Running On Empty

Greg- I have rented this articulating boom lift 3-4 times over the past 9-10 years. Manufacturer is Haute I believe. Power source is electric - large batteries w/ AC plug-in to recharge - self contained electric generator/converter. 55’ articulating boom w/ good hydraulics, self-leveling and/or independent manual override - very stable & very maneuverable. Got the Chaucer Magnolia felled & about 1/4 of the 50’ Ash tree. Back at it this morning.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 07:52 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Woke up fairly early this morning so that meant getting to the Awful house and back early. I'm going to buy a chain saw today so I should have time to run all over town comparing them.

Norm that looks like the machine I rented to take down the tree in front of my house. But it was a gas lift. The rent-all place had this inadequate harness on it so I brought a harness and lanyard from work. From the looks of how trampled their harness was, I wonder how many people actually wear it when they use that lift.

So yesterday I worked all afternoon taking the door apart on the wagon. Got inside with a flashlight and mirror, no code on the lock. I emailed Joe P and he said I'd pretty much have to remove the ignition lock so that's what I'm going to do. Key-in-dash cars don't have these problems.

It was actually chilly this morning. The dogmobile doesn't have a temp thing but the phone even now at 11am says only 70*. Supposed to get hot again next week.

Okay I'm headed out. Need to wind down early this afternoon so I can prepare for the work week. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 08:57 AM
Running On Empty

Mike- Get one of those 4 foot blade suckers you need a harness just to hold it up. LOL
Old September 22nd, 2019, 09:01 AM
Running On Empty

It’s a Haulotte. What did I say? Almost done.

https://www.haulotte-usa.com/product/55-xa
Old September 22nd, 2019, 09:14 AM

Well gang, I'm thinking about covering my boat dock with a metal pre fab car port and covering the walls with board and batting. A lot depend on 1] whether or not I can get it approved by Ga Power [that controls construction on the lake] 2] If I can get a carport with soffits 3] If I can get enough roof overhand to add wall and 4; IF my "Road " [read path] is wide enough for the crew to get their trailer to the lake

Do Any of y'all see any problem with adding wooden [or hardiplank walls to on of these carports

FWIW. I wanted metal walls but Ga Power said NO, they have to match the house [ which is board and batting]
Old September 22nd, 2019, 12:11 PM
Always room for one more

Put metal walls on your house.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Put metal walls on your house.

It;s a little late fer that
Old September 23rd, 2019, 03:29 AM

Tis Monday so gonna go smack whitey\