The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Welcome Howard,

Trust me if ya build a "small room" for storage, it'll be full the very 1st day
True, but look at how nice and organized that looks. Right now, I have boxes and even though I have them off in the corner, it still makes the garage look disorganized. What I do lack though is a good work table. and a wall to hang up tools like how you have it. I think I am getting garage envy...LOLOL.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 03:51 PM
Always room for one more

Well Howard, somehow I don't think you're the only one with a messy garage. My garage is about 3 cars worth behind a two car door, and I remember when I first moved in I parked my Rampside pickup(Corvair) in the middle of the floor and thought, wow what a big garage. Nowadays, there's a Corvair sedan, a Lincoln convertible, and a Valiant in the garage with crap piled on top of them, and the side is slammed with piles of stuff. I can hardly get around and I wonder if I should add on.

Jamesbo what ever happened to your friend Tommy, who was going to sell his 72 Cutlass? Did he ever sell or does he still have it?

My neighbors got back from New Jersey this afternoon so I went over to see them. So I didn't get anything done around here. Tomorrow it's supposed to be nice but cold. This was fun, I'm ready for spring now.

Going to that class tomorrow. I hear the teacher is big on theory. Theory isn't going to run the machine and it's not going to keep my attention to learn it. Honestly, we aren't in high school where the teacher feels he needs to get the parents' tax money's worth. Just show me how to do my damn job and be done with it.

Get to sleep a tad later tomorrow but don't know what traffic is like later in the morning. At our town hall meeting today someone asked the director if he could do something about the three traffic lights leading up to the hangar, that aren't in sync. Everyone laughed and applauded. The director didn't know just what to say, so he said, oh, we actually talked to the city last week about that and they'll get back to us. Uh huh.

Okay gonna think about getting to bed. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 07:24 PM
Oh no, not again...

Howard, welcome; a messy garage is usually a busy one. Clean it up too much and you won't want to do anything for fear of screwing it all up.

Mike, I thought the DAF was a 2 stroke that could change direction by just kicking over a diaphragm that made the crankshaft rotate the other direction. I read that somewhere about the DAF, I have no idea if it's true and a quick check on line hasn't verified anything. It is a 2 cylinder like you've said, so maybe it is 4 stroke. So do you have the early 600 or the later variety? (Which had a Volvo driveline) So you're Dutch by descent; I assume you've heard the old crack about the Dutch; "Wooden shoes, wooden head, wouldn't listen". (Just kidding, my best friend is Dutch, I love the culture)

We actually saw the sun today. And yes, the commute in was interesting. Especially the people doing 40 km/h on the highway at 5 AM with just their daytime running lights on. Damn near drove straight into one this morning. He might have been wondering why it was so dark, and why people were zooming up to him and then forced to make an emergency maneuver on snow-bound and icy highways. The other ones are the recent immigrants who've never driven in snow before, they drive 20 mph in the middle of the highway with their 4-ways on; highbeams on full blast and the wipers swinging at top speed and a look of shear terror on their faces as they white-knuckle the wheel. Oh yeah, it's fun.

Allan, I feel your pain. I live in a cul-de-sac, so there's no place to put the snow except into the centre island. That makes my triple car driveway twice as long. The neighbor's place is up for sale, so he has a service come in to do his driveway. They're idiots, I'm going to "fix" their snowblower some day.

Jim, amazing about the Zero, most of them ended up burnt or on the ocean floor. After the war was over, the Allies ensured that most of surviving planes ended up getting scrapped, none were supposed to be preserved. So is the Varsity a half decent place, or is it a dive?

Anyway; that's about it for me; I'm a little sore from shoveling, gonna turn in early tonight. Good night all!
Old December 4th, 2018, 04:42 AM

mawn'in

Mike, I don't remember a friend named Tommy that had a Cutlass for sale. I had a friend named Ray that had a drop top that's long gone. Oddly enough he was the honoree at last nights meeting [unfortunately posthumously]

If I were from Dutch ancestry, I'd buy a Spyker

Nail head, It's a 1st class operation but like every thing else that serves the general public. It can look like a Fellini movie at times

Sorry, I don't know the history of the Zero. I do know that finding a jap rife with the Mum [ flower symbol of the emperor ]not ground off usually means it came back in someones sea bag

Howard, Jes build a wall with a few 2X4 studs

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 4th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

I guess it's gonna be anutter day from hell for the commute today. There's spoda be a parking ban in effect so the plows can get the streets cleared. I saw a plow yesterday on the way home from the dentist. It plowed a section about 200 feet long, then lifted it's blade and buggered off somewhere down a side street with its blade still up. Honestly I wonder what these morons are trained to do sometimes.

Marc - yeah aint that the truth?? I don't think they should even be allowed to have cars until they pay off their debt to the gubment for allowing them in. And then they'd probably want free transit service too. Ever notice that the new imports are driving Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Range Rovers?? Can't afford to pay their debts but sure do pile em up in a hurry. How does that even work??? BTW I live in a cul de sac too so I understand your situation. I don't live at the keyhole though, I'm on the way in.

Jim - Dats an old picture isn't it??

Mike - So? Was it as much fun as you thought it would be

Howard - I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you have your own system and that should be good. I used to think I needed to have a well organized garage like Jim's at one time. Then I realized I wasn't Jim. I know where stuff is in my garage and that's good enough for me. I think I will do a bit of spring cleaning though when and if the cold and snow here ever disappears.

Whale, ahl beef hooked. I lost my post cuz it just disappeared. I posted again but it ended up in 2017. I was just about to finish up with a (*#$%&#(& comment about this new improved IB crap and I pressed the Restore Auto-Saved Content and POOFF! my post reappears. Musta taken the theory part of Mikes class.....
Old December 4th, 2018, 06:32 AM

Allan, Judging from the gaskets, I'd say yes it is, Before I yanked the 455 out of the Vista to pretty it up. I can't remember if you were hanging out here back then. Truth be known, All my pics are in a disorganized mess
Old December 4th, 2018, 06:49 AM

I heard someone say one time that the available space will always get filled with the available junk on hand.
Old December 4th, 2018, 08:09 AM

Haha...thanks guys. It is true I know where everything is at. I have car parts all over the place while I am trying to put my 55 Olds back together again and they take up a lot up of room. I have 2 cars 2 bikes that I have to move around the mess as well.

Jamesbo, that is a crispy and nice looking engine. I may to take out the rocket out of my car and freshen it up a little too.
Old December 4th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Day One of class thankfully over. I had about as much fun as watching paint dry. The instructor is a very nice man, very knowledgeable, and at a level so far above who he's trying to teach it's not funny. He'll be talking and just trail off, like he's having a personal revelation or something. When my car got a flat tire I didn't study the molecular composition of rubber before I changed it.

Jamesbo maybe this guy wasn't your friend, but asked your opinion and you brushed him off on me. He was the original owner of his 72 Cutlass Supreme, that he wrecked and had the back two thirds of the car replaced, and had 5K worth of parts he'd collected. His wife(of course) wanted him to sell the car and he wanted some advice as to what it was worth.

The City of Chicago has a parking ban on a number of streets whether or not it's snowed or not. From this time to this time, and from this date to this date. Doesn't matter if it's 75* on Christmas Day, if you park you get towed. There's a guy in my class from Salt Lake City, he said he had to shovel 10" of snow before he came here.

The DAF's engine doesn't spin backwards, it has two big belts that go to the rear wheels that go forward or reverse. Oddly enough they tell you not to stop in neutral when shifting, because it will build up too much pressure and slam into gear, thus breaking things. I thought I might want a Spyker until I saw their display at the auto show once, they had cut a piece of fuselage skin out of an airplane, but had it mounted upside down.

Once in a while people will ask me if an airplane's engine spins backwards when it goes into reverse thrust.

Okay time to eat. Tiger I think is hungry, too, it's past his supper time. I couldn't help it, but only two more days. I think we can last. Tomorrow I'm bringing smelling salts to keep me awake.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old December 4th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Afternoon Guys:
I have a little catching up to do since I was not on here yesterday. I spent the day almost finishing my outside Christmas lights. Today I have been finishing my count and accounting on the NTOC Christmas Party and coordinating that with Marriott. Now I have to get to my Medicare reenrollment since Friday is the deadline. Can't miss that one. Then I have to talk with Humana and see if I want to make any changes.
Jim, that is some interesting stuff about the Zero. It makes sense that most were destroyed after the war. The Commemorative Air Force has several that they use in their airshows but the are replicas that were built for the movie Tora Tora Tora. The Buckhead Boys sounds like a neat gathering. I am surprised you didn't have some _______ protesting.
Howard, welcome to this group. I have been on this board since 2006 but didn't have time to be a member of this thread until a few months ago after I retired earlier this year. This is the only thread I post on anymore. I won't go into the reason for that. As you will see by my avatar I have a 54 Olds. If I can help you with your car just send me a PM and I will respond.
Mike, glad you enjoyed the class. You really do have some unusual vehicles.
Allan, the shorts and tee shirt weather is gone for the time being. It was 32 degrees last night and is supposed to be the same tonight. The high today has been in the upper 40's. That is cold for a thin blooded Texan.
By the way, I would probably be up for a get together at some point.
Gotta go work on the enrollment now.
Glenn
Old December 5th, 2018, 02:41 AM

mawn'in

Mike, I'm sorry, I only remember 2 bench seat drop tops both were green. My friends [that's long gone] and 1 I went to check out for a CO member, that looked like my dog had painted it with a brush [or a broom] Course, I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday either

Here's a little something for our newer members. [oldie but a goodie IMHO]

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
waterfall1by5.bmp (863.1 KB, 9 views)
Old December 5th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Cool one here. -10C (or 14°F) Started snowing around 8 pm last night but apparently quit soon afterward so nothing to clean off the car to speak of.

Jim - Didja ever wonder why in the wild world of sports that GM put so many bosses on their engine blocks that were tapped for stuff that never got bolted to them?? I always looked at that and it made me think they really didn't have a clue. I believe I saw that engine and garage picture before, which is why I said that. The last picture of the waterfall I've seen so many times I've become immune. hahahaha, yew kill me. A Spyker. Damn that keyboard. Left side D instead of right side K....

Glenn - Congrats on getting all the Christmas decorations up. I have to be super careful climbing those ladders too. BTW, if you want to send that 39° weather our way we'll take it. Actually the weather peeps are calling for temps in the low 40's on Saturday and Sunday. I'll believe it when I see it. About the zero? Why would the zero be targeted and not the Messerschmidt, Focke Wulf, or other notable warbirds? I think there were more 109, 190's 262s left intact after the war than from the Japanese arsenal? Want a good life long job? Tank restorer. I watched a couple shows on that and sometimes they take up to 5 years to restore a single tank because of the complexity. Can you believe how that would have gone over in WW2 if a tank needed fixing?

Off to do battle again at the Saville. Yesterday at the Granite was a bust. No consistency with having spares all the time, especially when they can't get rocks in play.
Old December 5th, 2018, 09:28 AM

Well, my Christmas decorations consisted of me buying a wreath from a local nursery, and wrapping a string of lights around it with a timer. Hang on garage, done. Light snow over night, about 30°. Funeral tomorrow for my best friends dad, he was 92.
Old December 5th, 2018, 10:04 AM

Allan, So sorry you've become" immune" ya may wanta see a doctor about that condition
Old December 5th, 2018, 01:35 PM

Thank you Glenn..Nice to see another fellow vintage Olds owner...as for the 60s, 70s era Olds car owners...you guys rock too...lol. I was fortunate enough this year to put up my Christmas lights up right after Thanksgiving day. Fought with those lights for a day and a half though.

Allan so what exactly is this battle you speak of in Saville. When you mention spares and rocks, I assume that is bowling?
Old December 5th, 2018, 01:56 PM

Curling
Old December 5th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Day Two of this crap is over my head is in the record books. Some of the terms used in eddy current testing are actually greek letters. To which I responded, it's all greek to me. I don't think the teacher appreciated that.

Noticed that gas at Walmart is 1.99. First time it's been under two bucks since I can't remember. It can keep falling if you ask me.

Jamesbo I remember that one 68 convertible. Had lots of rust, didn't the guy buy it anyway? The car I'm talking about wasn't a convertible. Probably long gone by now.

Howard you've done it now. Be prepared for a dissertation on skips and sweeps and ice and bad sportsmanship.

Glenn I'd say my most unusual vehicle is that DAF. Marc did you ask before if it had a Volvo driveline? It does not. It's a 1966 DAF 33. Built before the takeover.

My neighbors got home yesterday afternoon from New Jersey and of course he's called me about 20 times today needing favors. This won't stop now for weeks. He bribes me with his wife's cooking. Works for me. Better get over there before he calls, again.

Have a good night everyone.

Old December 5th, 2018, 02:09 PM

Ahhhh Curling....seems like a fun sport....Mike..I guess I better prepare myself. I think I was close though when i said bowling..haha
Old December 5th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Always room for one more

Geez I didn't know it would be life sized. I'll work on the before/after picture later.

Allan is passionate about curling. And when the other team wins, or loses, poorly, he has choice words for them. I don't blame him. I mean, do your best and be gracious. It's only a game. Now, if they were paid like the ball players...
Old December 5th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Howard, yes it's curling. I'm not going to lecture about it. It's a sport and I'm not an elite player, just love the game. Mike's not quite right, when the other team wins, I congratulate them on their skills. After all they earned the win. I don't beat up my team on their misses either as that would demoralize them. If you have an opportunity to watch the game on TV (probably not likely in TX) you might get a better idea. If not there you can google 'Tim Hortons Brier', or Olympic Curling, Canada Cup etc and watch a bit. Thanks for the interest. It's not at all like bowling.

Saville is one of Canada's high performance sports centers. About a 35 minute hiway commute for me. The plaques on the walls represent past and current championship teams that curl from here.

Old December 5th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Always room for one more

Actually Allan I was referring to when the others are poor sports. You've mentioned that a couple times. I'm guessing the colored pieces in the middle of the picture are the rocks. I actually thought you were playing with real rocks.

I can't get the other picture to load. But here's an exercise. Go to the picture above, place your hand completely over the picture, and there. I look a lot better that way, too.

And that's it for me. Good night everybody!
Old December 5th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Oh no, not again...

Well, not much happening here, as Allan said, just more snow and more interesting driving. Ended up stripping down and decalcifying the humidifier on the furnace, it was leaking water all over the floor and was a source of discomfort for the cat. It's all back working and the cat's feet are dry.
Allan, almost all Axis aircraft were destroyed after the war; at least those within the Axis orbit. The aircraft that survived came from Allied countries or were wartime captures. My dad's stepfather used to work as a Maintenance operations chief for one of the Luftwaffe's major repair facilities at Mittelbau-Dora. That was a very nasty place, and it assured him of some special attention after the war. One interesting statistic from him was that the Germans wrecked more airplanes in ground-handling accidents than were ever shot down, and there was a large amount of airframes that had survived the war for want of pilots and fuel. He supervised the crushing and melting down of whole fleets of surviving German aircraft in 1945-46. He said that some were "stolen" and found their way into Czechoslovakia where they were eventually sold to the Israeli rebels. Those were the Bf-109 K models. The jets were scrapped after they were evaluated to prevent them from ending up in the Soviet Zone, but what the Americans didn't know at the time was that Avia in Czechoslovakia was building airframes and parts and that all eventually ended up in the East. Didn't help them much, the jets were no good to begin with, the average German jet (axial flow turbine) had a service life of 3 hours before the engines melted down or exploded. That's why the Soviets switched gears and bought a Whittle engine from the British; - they were less dependent on metallurgy and more suited to Soviet manufacturing capabilities. As for the FW-190, the surviving examples were mostly built in France, who used the model after the war as a front-line fighter for a couple of years. There's only 1 "real" FW-190 and about 5 "real" Bf-109s left. The rest are either French or Spanish post-war builds. The Zero suffered a more ignominious fate, those that weren't scuttled by their retreating owners were all scrapped by the Allies. The 2 known flying survivors were wartime evaluation aircraft that were captured. There may be one or two more in the restoration pipeline, I'm not sure.

Unlike Allan who throws rocks on ice, I just throw them at the moon. It's easier, but I never seem to hit it though.

Mike, now you've got me perplexed and my curiosity peaked, I'm going to have to hunt down my 70s vintage Chilton's for imports and study that DAF engine. By the way, the beard works, not too many people are able to rock one. You do.

Jim, thanks for the lovely waterfall picture. Those Dagmars are impressive...just don't know if a Caddy looks good with a bra on, it detracts from the lines and tends to scuff the brightwork.

Glenn, yeah, they used Texans or Harvards for the film "Tora, Tora, Tora". Good to see that some of them have survived. It wasn't a great movie but I loved the flying scenes. I was thinking of becoming a member of the CAF, but the chances of me ever getting on the flying side of it are slim to none. It's a bucket list thing for me, to be able to fly a WWII vintage airplane, and I'll likely only do it as a passenger on one of their exhibition flights. I love those old birds, I got involved with the local air museum here years ago and got my fingers dirty on a De Havilland Mosquito and a B-25. Too bad none of them are airworthy and are just static. We tried to get a motor to run on the B-25; So I helped strip it down and loosen it up. Ended up a no-go though, the MOT wouldn't certify a prop or give us permission to build the plane with only 1 workable engine and no safety back-ups. They wanted us to make the plane flyable , not just taxi-able. That's got be at least 10 years ago now. Haven't done much with old planes since, although I did rebuild and sell a clock that came out of a Ju-88.

Well, that's about it for me...have a great evening!
Old December 6th, 2018, 06:27 AM

mawn'in

Chili [fer de south]

Nailhead. I had a buddy that was big into aviation art several years ago. He'd do a painting, then make prints and have the famous pilot sign them. Chuck Yeager, George Gay, Pappy Boington, Gen Doolittle, Sanford Tuck, Adolf Galland , Steve Richie to name a few.

He even had seminars where guys like Sanford Tuck would give speeches with guys like Adolf Gallland about what happened when where'

Mike, I like your womb broom, I vote cha keep it. OOOOOOOPS too late?

Allan, I'm studying your pic and trying to figure out how far away, Ya start. Is it about the line in the upper left corner where the 3 dudes in blue are standing? Are they refs or umpires or sum thing?

Got a family on the way

Old December 6th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Yahoo! The plows came through at just after 01:30 this morning. They were somewhat considerate not making a huge amount of noise. Either that or I was just real tired and went back to sleep and didn't listen to them at all. Brrr, just took out the trash. Same cold as yesterday so I guess grilling dogs for late lunch will be out of the question. But it's my turn to make dinner so I'm torn between Shepherds pie and Jambalaya. Strongly leaning towards the Shepherds pie right now...

Marc - Interesting breakdown (hahaha, no pun intended) of the axis warbird fleet. So are the 262's, 190's and BF109's that are in airshows recreations? That's a lot of work to build an historical aircraft just for display. I'm curious about the 262 engine meltdown. I've never heard that before. Even the Hortons didn't have any documented problems like that I know of. You sure it wasn't the 163 with it's short burn rocket engine that melted down? I can see that.

Mike - Yes those are the rocks. And they actually are rock. Special Granite quarried just off the coast of Scotland. Each one weighs in close to 40 lbs. I've often been amazed and curious why they don't shatter when they impact with other rocks, especially at peel weight. BTW, the beard doesn't look all that bad.

Jim - No suh. I don't need to see a doc. Just after awhile the image is much easier to see the waterfall.

Dan - That's the easiest Christmas decorating fix I've ever heard of. Genius!! Are you going to the service or do you have to work? 92 is a very long life and I hope he enjoyed every minute.

Off to the Granite this morning. Not as nice a rink as the Saville but it's steeped in tradition and been in service for 98 years. Gotta respect that kind of dedication and commitment to the curling community. I just wish the commute was more user friendly, It's in the heart of old Strathcona and there's just no easy way to get there with the stupid Groat Road Bridge under Construction.

Later all you alligators.
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
It is cool here this morning at 47 degrees currently and the high is supposed to be 52. I finally finished the outside lights yesterday and am satisfied. I have a couple of small inflatables I will probably put up today. I have it all on timers so it comes on at dark and stays on for 6 hours. It is supposed to rain most of the day tomorrow and into Saturday. My wife and I actually gave consideration to driving down and seeing the Bush train as it is on it's way to College Station but decided against it. It is about a 3 hour trip each way. It would probably be a lot of walking for her and that could be a problem.
Marc, I love those old WWII planes with the radial engines. The B25 is one of my favorites. On my 60th birthday (12 years ago) my family gave me a ride in a T6. The Cavanaugh Flight Museum (https://cavanaughflightmuseum.com/) is located here and has some pretty amazing planes. The CAF is now located in Dallas. My brother and I went to their annual airshow in 2017 and it was outstanding. Have you followed the story of DOC which is the second B29 that is now flying. Very interesting story that one guy drug it out of the desert and it took 16 years to restore it. I watched the initial flight of it one Sunday morning a year or two ago. It is based in Wichita, Kansas where it was built.
Mike, the beard looks good. I had one for a short while about 10 years ago when I was recuperating from the back injury after falling off the ladder. Of course it was completely gray like my hair but added about 5 years to my perceived age. My wife hated it and I will probably never have another one.
Allan, keep curling. The only curling the rest of us do is the 12 ounce kind. The picture helps us visualize the Saville.
Better go. I am going to try and take Lucy for our walk today. It has been to cold lately. Quit laughing Allan.
Glenn
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Good morning guys. Well its in the 50s here in sunny FL. Im not complaining one bit especially having lived in NYC and Chicago most of my life. A little nippy to be on a bike but I like to ride in this kind of weather.

Allan thank you for the brief schooling on curling. I have watched it on TV during the Winter Olympics and it does look like quite an interesting sport. I probably would get hooked on it myself.

Mike, I like the beard. It looks way better than mine. I cant seem to get it tamed this time around for some reason. Constantly trimming the loose whiskers.

Just had the exterminator come by this morning to take a look at my ant problem. My house was bug free for a few years, but all of a sudden I have been seeing these pesky ants showing up in different places. I remember having this problem when I lived in Chicago during the cold months but they would disappear after a while, here they have been pestering me since early this Spring.
Old December 6th, 2018, 10:27 AM

Good 101st independence day, Finland!
Old December 6th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Class is done with, and passed! I was really sweating the test. It was 50 questions, and we did a review right beforehand, and I missed 6. I was allowed to miss 10. I think everyone in the class had a score in the 80s. The teacher said he was pleased. We went and got some hands on time on the NDT machines. Actually was cool seeing it all working. Regular work tomorrow, glad that class is over.

Thanks guys for the good words for the beard. It's already gone. I just didn't like it. I kept the mustache. A spot just showed up by my lip that I'm having looked at next week, then the mustache will become much shorter as well. I could have kept it and colored it.

Howard I forgot what part of Florida. My Mom is in the panhandle and they usually have about the same weather we have here in Atlanta. When I was in Chicago we'd have these big black carpenter ants.

Glenn I had a neighbor who saw the Roosevelt train as it left Warm Springs. She said she was sitting up on a hill and saw Eleanor next to the casket. She waved, and Eleanor waved back.

Allan does granite shatter? Or is it as hard as granite? (sorry)

Jamesbo I moved here in February. We were in jackets in the morning and shirt sleeves by the afternoon. That was 1997. Every year since it's been cold as a mother during the winter. I believe I was fibbed to when they said it was warm here all year long.

Okay gonna go do something, don't know what. Friday tomorrow, I'll be glad for the weekend, as usual. Have a good evening everyone.
Old December 6th, 2018, 12:55 PM

Happy Independence Day Jouni. Allan, I attended the services as I have know him and the family for almost 50 years. Took a half day, I will be going to work in a couple of hours. i may need to get a nap in first. Came home from work last night to a dark neighbor hood...no power. Lit a couple of candles, checked the temp, (64° inside, 25°outside) took a shower, and finally went to bed, with a quilt thrown on for good measure. The power came back on at about 2 am. Marc, my uncle was a B25 mechanic, he helped get a B25 engines balanced quite a few years back for the air museum in Willow Run, Mi. after they had given up on it. Mike, you look good with the beard.
Old December 6th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Fine afternoon here, The game went.....ummm. Hey - it went mostly ugly. It's still a struggle to be patient with my team. They try but don't really understand how to throw or what's being asked even when it's spelled out to them. At least they're trying. (no, that's not meant as a derogatory statement). Problem is they leave me absolutely no setup shots to score, so when I do score it's basically on my own to make sure the rocks path (line) is good and the weight (speed) is good so it doesn't need any sweeping. My front end (lead and second Players) aren't strong sweepers so I can't rely on them. My third struggles with speed and I think vision. I can only work with what they give me. And the third is undergoing Chemo for his cancer so I really appreciate his dedication and perseverance to the game.

Well Jim, ya done opened de can o worms by axin dat. So here's a quick answer (hahahaha, nuthin is ever quick).Ya starts right where the girl on de left is stepping into the 'hack' Dats de 2 rubber sloped thingys that are used to launch de curler and de stone. What she's aimin fer is where de skip (captain) is holdin de broom. She has already bin told where de stone is spoda end up and how much speed she needs. Plus she also has bin told whut direction to spin de stone to git the results axed fer. Got it? I dint think so. Here's a very simple short video that gives ya de basiks.

Mike - No the granite is special. It's mined at only one location on the globe and is volcanic in composition. It is very impact resistant and doesn't shatter. Hmm, wondering if that spot may be associated with the stache? When I shaved my stache 8 years ago the skin had some rough red spots that were hiding under the stache and I never saw them. They went away on their own in about a week. Hope your spot is nothing to worry about.

Jouni - Hey! Happy Independence Day!!

Howard - look for wet or damp spots around the house. That's where the ants seem to like it best. Not good if they're carpenter ants, or worse yet - termites. You ever watch that show called "Billie the Exterminator"?? I think they use chrysanthemum based spray or fog on almost every type of infestation. Good luck getting rid of those pests. Does FL have any bad types like fire ants?

Glenn - Hahahahaha. Ooops sorry Can't help myself when I hear about how 'cold' it is where you are. But I think I shouldn't be so judgmental. Heat and cold affect people differently and I'm no exception. Soldier on Glenn and get those walks with Lucy under your belt.
Old December 6th, 2018, 02:44 PM

Allan, So you're the Skip?

I'm not real sure I can "Find a curling facility near me and get started"
Old December 6th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - yes sir. I be the skip on 3 teams. I play 3rd on another. 3rd position is the vice skip and gives the skip feedback from the front end and also suggestions about strategy if warranted. Yeah, I kinda figgered you'd have the same luck finding a curling facility there as I would finding a golf course open here right now. Hmmm, mebbe I spoke too soon. I just googled Hotlanta and they have curling rinks. You up fer it?

Old December 6th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Drumroll.....hahaha I seem to be on a roll

Lunch was biff dogs wit fried onjuns, mustard, ( ketchup) and kraut. They were delish!!! The shepherds pie won out for dinner du jour. It's going to be ready soon. Sigh.... I seem to have made enough fer de crew of Sparticus. So if yer in the hood pop in fer a plate of goodness
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Oh no, not again...

So to continue the long winded Axis aircraft story...sorry if it's a drag, but Allan asked.

The Me 262 had a pair of axial flow Junkers-Jumo engines that developed about a 1000 lbs of thrust each. The design was way ahead of the metallurgy though. They used impure nickel in the turbine blades and when heated quickly, the coefficient of expansion of each of the different impurities caused the blades to clash and go boom. Plus, when there's sulphur in the nickel, copper tends to dropout with it making for a more brittle and not so heat resistant or forgiving alloy. The Germans knew this going in, I used to know one of the factory training instructors for the 262 project, he lived in BC and we talked at length over bottles of good wine. He's been gone for over 20 years now... He said that most field units reported that the average engine only lasted about 3 hours before the back end of it was burned out and in need of an overhaul. My grandfather said that it got to the point where they had lots of airframes but no engines. Junkers never did solve the problem because all of their research facilities had been bombed back into the Stone Age, and they were struggling just to get production out.

The ME-163 used a Walther engine, a rocket fuel with 80% strength hydrogen peroxide (T-Stoff) and a methanol compound (C-Stoff), each in separate tanks, Those engines would burn for a few minutes, and then run out of fuel. The idea was to use the rocket, zoom up to 40,000 feet past the bomber stream, and then start shooting them down as you head down. I think they shot up 5 bombers that way, and about 20 or so pilots were killed while landing; - too hard of landing and the T-Stoff tanks would rupture and the peroxide would literally evaporate the pilot ensuring that it never happened again. Terrible idea, not a successful one either. As for the Horten wing, it used the same engines as the 262, and had the same issues with transitions and power changes. It's just that it was a test flight program, so it was all low and slow, and the records are incomplete.

The surviving Axis planes are a mix of "real" survivors and post-war builds. There are a few real 109s left, some have been reconverted from Spanish frames back to German spec. The 190s are mostly postwar French, there's only one real one that I know of flying. All the 262s that are flying were built in 2001. There was an outfit out of Seattle that built 5 reverse-engineered copies using modern engines. This really allowed pilots to explore just how good that design really was, and it is unanimous; if the Germans had a better engine, that plane would have been the war winner, it was almost on par with the Sabre jet built almost 10 years later. Same thing with the Arado 234 "Blitz" bomber; it was good, but hindered by it's engines. Good thing the Germans never did solve those issues and rushed the designs into production.

The problem of getting "pure" easy nickel wasn't solved until the Sherritt-Gordon plant in Fort Saskatchewan came on line in 1955 and started supplying the US jet engine industry with pure cheap nickel powder. That's when the US made its major quantum leap in engine design and allowed them to move ahead of the Russians once and for all. Our nickel was in every jet engine made from 1955 to 2000; - and I can't comment on where it comes from now.

So...I'll shut up now...and return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast...

Have a good night all!
Old December 6th, 2018, 09:54 PM

Marc, no need to stop talking about WWII history, I love that stuff. Now a days the airfoils and blades for both commercial and military aircraft are made from a titanium alloy. We are currently supplying General Electric (the majority of our business) and Rolls Royce with blades and airfoils for their aircraft. They both supply Boeing and Airbus, with our newest and hottest parts going into to the new Leap engines for G.E. Another of our top jobs with high demand, are blades for the JSF (F35). I wish that I were on the engineering side of things so I could provide more input on them.
Old December 7th, 2018, 04:49 AM

mawn'in

Snow and ice coming to the mountains

But, I'm headed norte anywho,

Allan, I know exactly where that is. I used to manage a shopping center right across the street but had no idea what was there now. I may haveta stop buy and try out my newly acquired lingo

Kinda ironic , we were jes talking about Zeros and here it is Pearl Harbor day

Old December 7th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Wow, even colder today. What kind of crap is this anyway? Oh well, it's not as if I really like the cold but I put up with it because I have no choice. C'mon warm weather - beat up ma nature and make a showing.

Dec 7. I never forget to remember the tragedy and loss of life that happened on this day 77 years ago. The Smithsonian Channel runs biographies of WW2 history, as do some other channels. I'll watch some of them even if Ive already seen them. It's a day of sadness for the needless loss of life.

Jim - If you do go in, there's 2 ways to curl now. One is wit a stick. Ya cud modify a whackin stick wit a rock handle device and you'd be set. Course ya also need sum curlin shoes. Don't wanna git the ice dirty.

Marc - Sounds like you have some extensive knowledge of the German Lufwaffe and its history. Did you ever meet Adolf Galland? Remember the show Battle of Britain? I wonder where they got all the planes for that movie?

Gonna take the Saturn for the battle at the Saville today. Poor thing has been garage ridden for over 3 weeks. The missus insisted I don't use it because she wanted to have some 'freedom' instead of me driving her everywhere. Now she doesn't use it because it's cold out. It needs some miles so today it gets some. She wasn't exactly pleased when I told her I was taking it but she also said she wasn't going anywhere sooooo.... Oh, and the gas prices here are going way down too. There's a pushback by some stations that support the Liberal gubment to jump the price by 20¢/L but the majority are holding the line at lower prices. Good for us, about time we got some relief from the artificial prices that rule the country.
Old December 7th, 2018, 06:37 AM

Allan, I actually met him and Sanford Tuck
Old December 7th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Done with work extra early today. No wheels, so our number was low. The foreman wasn't there, and the guy in charge wanted to leave early so we did. Obligatory stop at the Awful house for lunch and here I am.

Marc that stuff is interesting as heck. I am glad those engines aren't used on our planes. I hate changing engines and I can't even imagine having to change an engine after every flight. I think that would make connections a little unbearable.

So Allan does that mean your wife isn't allowed to drive the Sonata? Why doesn't she go to curling with you?

Rain has started already and I hope that's all we get. North of here(like by Jamesbo) is supposed to get "wintry mix" or worse. It will be inside stuff today.

Well I'll check you all out later.
Old December 7th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Woo hoo!! We played the big dog at the Saville today and handed them a second place finish. I was disappointed they took it badly and didn't even stick around to share a coffee after the game. Oh well, that tells me a lot about their overall sportmanship. Came down to a 5-5 tie and Doug needed to hit one of his high red guards (hmmm, sounds like a commie doesn't it?? ) to run it back into our counter that I'd just put there with my last draw, dead buried. His rock was normal weight, but overcurled even with that weight and he sailed by, missing us by at least 5". Good for us!!

It's not like that at all Mike. She can drive whichever car she wants, but she prefers the Saturn. I've told her many times to take the Sonata but she refuses. Apparently it has too much go power for her. She doesn't go with me to curling because 1) she's not awake when I leave, and 2) she would be bored. She's not a curler and she hates the cold. I bet she'd be right at home in GA.

Jim - That's cool!