The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2016, 09:52 AM
Captain Starfire

Lookin' hot & dry in da' hills, but they're saying that's supposed to end -- but they're been sayin' that for days and we got barely a spit on Monday. We shall see. Mountain bikes are spose to be coming in tomorrow, so we won't have much time for ridin' 'em. But they'll sure look pretty.... at least I'm used to that M.O. with the fleet of cars.

Jamesbo, I had just said about the weather predictions; I don't think our weather is that different; it's just that the weather persons (to be PC) don't know what the he11 they're talkin' about. We haven't had a shower this entire trip.

Got one retaining wall & stairs price; two others are takin' their good-ol'-boy time. We might go wit the guy who gave us the price.

Dan, I like that Ambassador. Honestly, I don't ever recall seeing a convertible like that. They couldn't have made more than a thousand or two of those, on a guess.

Whelpt, y'all have a happity humpity, Olds buds.
Old June 1st, 2016, 08:57 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi everyone. Been swamped with work the last two days so just saying hello and will catch up with you all tomorrow.

Have a good night all.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 03:50 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Not much going on. Thinking about hitting the Supercruise this weekend. haven't been to one all year and only one last year. Brit is gonna think there is someone else.

Have a Thursday all.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:47 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter not dry one.

John, I think I'll wash de car and water the garden, then it's sure to rain.

Mike, Are you sure they're hornets and not wasp. I've never seen a hornets nest near the ground.They usually up in trees or eaves.

Speaking of, Years ago my honey bees swarmed and took off. late one nite I found them i[ or thought I did] in an old life jackets stuffed in the corner of a canoe handing from the rafters in a shed. I promptly put my bee suit, pith helmet with vail netting and retrieved them in the dark. Next mawn'in I figured out I had put yellow jackets in the bee hive.

Oh well

GTG

Have a GREAt day OLDS friends
Old June 2nd, 2016, 07:18 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Nice out, not hot, just marvelous. Probably gonna spend most of the day inside, though.

So after Awful house I went to NAPA to get a rear brake hose for the Cadillac. This is the flex line that is on the rear axle. I go in and ask for an 87 Brougham. The guy says, I don't list that, this is what I have for 87 Cadillac. He shows me the screen and there plain as day is Brougham. I said, it's the second one listed. He said it's the first time he's heard someone pronounce it correctly. I said [brome]. Had I said [bro-ham] he'd have figured it out. Now, if he knew how to pronounce it correctly what was the problem. And they didn't even have it, so I get to go back this afternoon and deal with this dumbass all over again.

Jamesbo these are black and have the wings that go up and down when they land. They're about the size of the orange wasps but I'm pretty sure they are hornets. They are buzzing all around the trailer and the lift parts, but they seem to like going up underneath the floor the most. Whatever they are I'm not bothering them. Maybe some night when they are all asleep I will hook up to the trailer and then take off down the highway at about 80.

A friend of mine has plans to go on the Power Cruise this summer in his first gen Toyota Celica. To call it an automobile would be generous. I'd say a good 25% of the bodywork has rusted away, and he's cobbled the engine together with parts from whatever, and not necessarily automotive. It runs, barely, yet he thinks he can make the entire run. A little optimistic I told him. He's not having it, he's sure it will happen and he's paid his dues and made his reservations. I wish him the best but politely declined when he asked if I wanted to be his co-driver.

Think I'll do some painting while I'm waiting for the brake hose. Have a good day everyone.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:06 AM

Mike, Hornets fly fast as lightening.

I had a nest in the top of an out building and ever time I slammed de door. It felt like sumone drop a pebble on my head. [they were dive bombing me.

When I figured out WTH was going on. I jes sprayed them from afar

Well Since I have this 53 GMC in my garage, I thought I would try to keep the battery charged fer my brother in law. I took the ctek off my 442 drop top and it werks fine but when I brought a POS HF one back from de mountains it tripped de breaker.

Don't fell like cutting grass right no so I'm gonna check for parasitic draw on his battery and throw the HF one in de garbage, and hook de good ctek one back to de drop top,

I wonder how long it would take my brother in law to figure out I'm no a free storage facility if I just let his battery go dead and forget about it. Guess I could jes leave it disconnected.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:01 AM

Not a fan of the stinging type, I usually wait until nightfall when they are all snug in the nest, then nuke 'em with the 20 footer spray.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:16 AM
Captain Starfire

Afta'noon, all... One bike in, the other supposedly en route...

Have to drip on Fedex a bit here -- the guy delivers my helmet to a house around the corner from us that has no visible address. (This is for a supposed 2-day ship.) So a half hour after it shows "Delivered" on the Amazon site (and after we DIDN'T get the text we were supposed to get), we call FEDEX and wait about a half hour to talk to something with a body temperature; so he takes our tracking # and sez somebody would get back to us within 2 hrs. Sooooo, 16 hrs later, I gets a message on my cell saying that the numbers on the houses on our street were out of sequence... so it's all our fault! Let's not mention that Mike and others set their GPS with our address and drive to our front door without human intervention. And this is a company that gets paid for finding addresses! Pitiful, IMHO.

I got the helmet by walking around to 6 houses up here and finding it on a front porch. So after a bunch of extra work & time, I have my helmet. OK... rant over.

Re: "hornets," I'll be honest and say I don't know what a "real" hornet is. We have wasps out the wazzoo (especially in LA), and we also have other bees that resemble honey bees; and then we have those big bees with fat bodies that zoom around (kinda' like Jamesbo said) like they have little V8 engines between their wings. I call those hornets, but that's strictly unofficial. They seem to do a lot of hovering and kinda' check you out, and they also like to fight among themselves, as well as with wasps. Mike, I'm surprised you don't have few cans of 20' wasp & hornet spray. (Dan, you stole my thunder.)

Re: the brake hose, hope you have fun dealing w/ Mr. Brougham again. When you find a "real" parts guy who knows his stuff, cling on to him like grim death. That's one reason I'm such a loyal customer of Rock Auto -- I know more than the average parts counter "body."

Jamesbo, I hate to profit at your expense, but the tales of your adventures w/ BILs and family at large are highly entertaining. But re: the chargers, I've had pretty good service from Tenders. I have 'em fail, but they're on 24/7 and are usually good for a few years, anyway. They're guaranteed for 5 yrs, but you gotta' pay freight to return the dud to their HQ and claim your replacement.

Darrell, hope you get caught up soon... Staying busy is a good sign.

Whelpt, let me get going. Have a great rest o'day, Olds pals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 2nd, 2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:35 AM

John,Sure glad ya didn't get shot taking your helmet off sum ones porch. Good thing ya didn't hear banjo music playing or I would let the helmet sit til the cows come home or make Fedex go and get the sucker,
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:43 AM

Good evening everyone. First day at home before sleeping time, off from sauna. Feel like a new man now. 4 days, 58 hours at work, and tomorrow left. Propaby going to be ~68hr week. And next week begins nightworks. Nightwork = day+night at work. Hope to push over 80 hour/week barrier next week.

Everything good for all of you, tomorrow ill read whats posted here, just wanted to say hello. Now ill take few beers, maybe one Henry LeGrand ( brandy), spend some time with my awesome wifey, and go to sleep.

See ya!
Old June 3rd, 2016, 03:49 AM
CQR

Morning all.

Inline enjoy your R&R.

John we have all sorts of winged stingers. I found it great when I learned those huge Bee's with the V8's scientific name is 'Bombus' Very fitting. We sure don't have a bunch of Honey bee's this year. Hopefully they will come around now that it's getting warmer. We have lots of Hornets around. Nasty little buggars. They nest under the deck and the little JRT doesn't care for them either. He's ready to fight them every chance he gets. I need a little refresher on the bike situation. New scoots? or just traveling from one one to another? I bought the missus a new bike and am waiting on it to arrive. should see it in a couple weeks from the UP of Michigan.

Jamesbo, I thought you were gonna go cruising for chicks in that thing?

Mike, I feel your pain. I'm so glad I'm linked up to Carquests website so I can look my own stuff up. Be sides some of the crap I have to come up with its better if I look it up myself since no one would believe what I was after.

Well missus left early this morning. had to go for a semi load. Spose to be in the 80's the next several days.

Have a Weekend all.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 04:46 AM

Mawn'in all

Dis is what a hornet's nest looks like One time when I was a pup. We were chunking rocks at one from afar.Some poor kid happened to walk underneath and this grey cloud just like in the cartoons took off after him.

Clint, I ain't gonna drive the pos cause it ain't an Oldsmobile. and because I prefer my chicks to have more teeth than *****

John, Which battery tenders are you speaking of? I hate the HF ones and love the ctek ones course you can buy a gross of HF ones fer the cost of 1 ctek

Inline, Do you know Bill W?

Well, Have a GREAT day Olds friends de grass needs cutt'in a-gain
Old June 3rd, 2016, 05:36 AM

Thumbs down

Afternoon all

I'm so glad we hardly get any hornets like that.

Another day, another airport. This time Tenerife Sur. Two and a half hour delay so far and I had to leave the wife behind. The mother in law is critical in hospital and it doesn't look good, she's 91 and this is her first time ever in hospital, she had all of her children at home.

Back to rainy London tonight but it's supposed to be a nice weekend so I think I will get the Cutlass out for a blast around, it's either that or I decorate the kitchen, hmm, big decision!!

Have a weekend all.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:28 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy Fright Day

Looks like a fair weather day so far... 20% Elsie visitation. We are going to try and at least get on the bikes at Jackrabbit Mountain and play around a tad.... I'm going to have to get used to the shifting & such before I take it on the "real" trails. Don't want any broken limbs or noggins, please.
Clint, these are new mountain bikes we got from this guy in Blairsville (GA). They're Marins, and you can see them here. I got the Bobcat Trail 9.4 and better half got the 9.3. I'da' gotten a 9.3, but just like cars, it's late in the model year (!) and the only one left in my size was the 9.4. (Good thing I kinda' like that screaming blue!)

Jamesbo & Clint --> Those are pretty much what i had in mind for hornets. But that's a HUGE nest! I find it fascinating how they hover in mid air and kind of look at you... makes me think I'm in an old Outer Limits. It seems to me they don't really go looking for trouble unless you try to molest them; but I molested a couple of their smaller nests in & around our decks & overhangs last week. I've found that for both these guys & wasps, if you slowly raise a big (and very long) shop vac tube to the nest, they can't escape by the time they know something's going on. I let the ol' vac devour the two smaller nests, so now I'll be sure to leave it sealed up for at least a couple months.

Jamesbo, the Tender I generally use is the Deltran, standard model. The price went down recently, so maybe the next ones I get will have a shorter lifespan... dunno. But this is it at Amazon. I use a "Junior" for the lawn tractor and the Yamaha. I have one on every 12V battery in the fleet, and the last one I bought was in Jan of 13. So they're generally reliable. And they look like a quality piece. The ones I have (not Junior) have metal cages, so that's nice. Can't speak for the ones they've made in the last couple years.

Safe travels, London. Hope the Lord takes the MIL peacefully if that's His will. Sounds like she might just be ready....? What a wonderful blessing not to have to be in a hospital 'til it's your time.

Whelpt, there are other things on my mind, but gotta' run...

Next time checking in will prolly be from LA.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 10:13 AM

Good evening everyone. I read everything new through! Back at the map again. Huge nest By the way. Wouldnt like if that would be at my house!

Ended up @ 67.5hr this week. Two next week schedules ( as planned) are
Monday, tuesday + tuesday-wednesday night, sleep, wednesday-thursday night, little sleep/no sleep and to thursday day + friday. My old record is 163.5hr @ 2 weeks timeframe, and i have a feeling were going to break that old record.

Just ate, now to wash both cars, take beer ( surprise... ) and recharge Oldsmobiles battery. It was empty..

Whos Bill W? Never heard. Hope you all have nice and sunny weekend, and, happy biking Bee_Oh_Pee

Last edited by Inline; June 3rd, 2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 11:34 AM

June 3 1962
Old June 3rd, 2016, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Overcast all day, so that meant the dogs weren't too bothersome. It's nice and sunny now. Just in time for work.

Went to see that truck last night. It was pretty rough. Guy didn't seem to phased when I said I was going to pass on it.

So anyway got home a little after 8 last night and it was still light out, but all the bugs had gone to bed. I took a flashlight and looked all around the trailer but didn't see a hornets nest. I saw one small paper nest with one black "hornet" on it. I guess those are wasps of some sort. Maybe the trailer is just the hangout for teen wasps. Jamesbo I used to mow the lawn at my church when I was a kid and there was a big nest like that one in a bush. The minister said, can you take care of that nest? I said no way. And I would mow a big circle around it. Finally my Mom(who was the secretary) called some professional outfit and it got taken care of.

John safe trip back to the swamp. Gonna be here for the 4th? Hurry and get the Starfire finished so you can drive it up here.

Sorry about the MIL, London. Hope she's not in a lot of discomfort.

When I went back yesterday to get the brake hose, the guy saw me coming and took it out of the box and said, is this what you're looking for? I said yes, do you remember the name of the car? He said, braaahm. I said close enough. It's like one time I went to ask for a part for a Plymouth, and the kid behind the counter said, who makes that?

Okay night number 1. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 08:35 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi everyone. Well, I don't know about all of you but I'm ready for the weekend. Playing tennis tomorrow in the morning and then lots of work to do around the yard.

Hate this time of the year because I have a couple large trees that hang over my driveway and they make a big mess. The sap and caterpillar poop is ridiculous and I can't park anything underneath them so I lose most of the driveway. I hate cutting down trees but these 2 have to go.

Mike - those Hornets are nasty. I had a nest in a bush a couple of years ago and did not realize it until I hit it with the lawnmower. Saw a few of them come out of the bush and I thought, What are those? Then, they flew at me and stung me pretty good. Could not believe how fast they are.

I once went into an autozone to get a part for a customer. It was a fan belt for a 69 Corvette. The kid behind the counter asked me what a Corvette was?? Could not believe it.

Inline - don't wear yourself out, that's a lot of hours in two weeks.

Clint - what is the supercruise?

Have a good night all, catch up with you tomorrow.

Last edited by OLD SKL 69; June 3rd, 2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 11:15 PM

Good Morning everyone. Really windy, and temperatures came down By 10 degrees. But its still pretty warm as June at Finland. Going to clean my "new" 350 block today, or tomorrow.
I have some nasty stuff called Natriumhydroxide, going to boil the block in mix of that and water on 200ltr barrel. Going to take before and after pics. Ye ye, im carefull

Jamesbo - Was that picture answer to my question about whos Bill W? If so, i still dont get it

OLD SKL 69 - We have same problem. Should take down 2 trees, partly for the same reason, and also because theyre pretty old, before they fall right to my house at storm. Have fun with yardwork. Ill keep an eye not to get too tired.
But were young, greedy, have huge depts to be payed, and for last, greedy
Old June 4th, 2016, 05:53 AM

Mawn'in all

Hotter dan a $2 pistol with a chance of afternoon thunder boomers

John, Safe travels

Mike, Does anyone in the airplane biz ever mention the Orly crash in 62?

Inline,Forget about it. It was jes a stupid joke that no one got.

London, Prayers for your mother in law

GTG busy day at de cemetery

Have a GREAT weekend Olds friends
Old June 4th, 2016, 08:02 AM

Have to post this pic. Taken like 15mins ago. When i started, the water was bright.
Cant wait to lift it tomorrow from barrell.

Old June 4th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Was supposed to get rain today, but none around here. Been partly cloudy and fairly dog free for sleeping. And hot. Love it.

Jamesbo I've never heard anyone mention that crash. I know you posted about it before. For people to have been with the Delta when that happened they'd have 54 years with the company. I don't think there's anyone with that much time anymore. A couple with 50 but I don't know them. Heck, not many people have even heard of the big crash in Dallas in 85 or in Chicago in 79. Didn't you say your neighbor was on that plane in Paris?

Darrell I think that kid was putting you on. Or lived under a rock. One time a guy thought a Vista Cruiser was a Chevy truck. Eh, I suppose if people asked me about these video death games I'd give similar answers.

Time to head out. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old June 4th, 2016, 06:57 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Played tennis today outside from 9:30 to 12, was about 85 and sunny. Mowed the lawn and did yard work the rest of the day so I'm sunburned and tired, lol. Managed to get the 63 Riv out for some cruising. Probably put about 100 miles on it. Funny, in the morning it was not running very well but by the afternoon it was running great. Need to drive it more often I guess.

I keep forgetting that I have to keep an eye on the speedo with that car. It is really smooth on the highway. Kept bumping into the speed warning indicator which was set at 80 mph.

Mike - wish I thought the same as you but the kid seemed very serious when he asked me who made the Corvette. Didn't really seem that intelligent.

Inline - I have to say, that water looks pretty bad.

Jamesbo - pretty hot here too so I can imagine what its like by you.

Welp, going to watch Jaws 2 with everyone, have a good night all.
Old June 4th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Captain Starfire

Howdy, y'all.... made it back in one piece; thanks for the well-wishes. We actually missed our Airport/85 turn-off in Hotlanta and lost about 1/2 hour (at least) trying to get back. I got a phone call I should have ignored right around the exit and plum missed it.

Hit some pretty heavy thunder-boomers in multiple states. We wound up not stopping to eat; just snacked all day. Still took us over 11 hours due to crappy weather, the missed exit, a major accident (others, not us -- no apparent fatalities, but multiple vehicles), and road construction. Driving back home (or up to the hills) is definitely like a day's work. The vigilance takes its toll -- especially in miserable weather.

Mike, we won't be back up for the 4th. Prolly a few weeks after. Let me know if you want to rendezvous.

Whelpt, it's pouring down here, and I didn't sleep worth a plug nickel last night; so the mattress beckons... Y'all have a great rest o'weekend, Olds pals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 4th, 2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old June 5th, 2016, 03:54 AM

Good day. Block is cleaned now. Pics after washing it with loads of fresh water and drying it carefully + oiling everything needed for storing. Just ordering paint for it.

All oily gunk, and old paint is gone. That rocks. Only thing which dont rock, is i noticed when block was clean, someone has ruined distributor housing a bit when taking distributor off, with sledgehammer i quess from marks.. But its repairable. You should had seen the amount of s*** that came out from water-passages.

OLD SKL 69 - Wow, never really much read anyones signatures, just now noticed you have Riviera when you sayed it. They are really beautiful cars, im jealous for you now!

Bee Oh Pee - Happy to hear your trip went well without accidents.
Old June 5th, 2016, 05:09 AM

Mawn'in all

Scattered thunder boomers today

Mike, Guess you're right. I'm just tooooooo old. Yep our next door neighbor was on the plane in Paris. It was a BIG deal way back when

John, Glad ya are home to de swamp safely. When driving through Hotlanta it's best to keep both hands on de steering wheel and let the phone calls wait.Glad ya didn't end up in Waycross.

Finaly figured out what the battery draw is on my BIL GMC. It's pulling 1 amp 24/7 from a CD player behind the front seat. WTF anyone wants power windows and a CD player in a 53 GMC is beyond me. It's got too many inline fuses to fool with.When I texted him he jes said "Disconnect it" not thanks................. kiss my grits or nothing. I'm done

Inline, I vote for purple paint on de engine.

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:00 AM

Sorry, no purple. I didnt get what i originally wanted, since no overseas shipping of paints.
So... do i dare to say... Its going to be Chrysler Blue Didnt want the "boring" Olds Gold ( boring since my car is already bronze/brown whatever) , instead would have wanted Metallic Blue but didnt found it for sale on Europe. Decided Chrysler Blue will do, since i found it locally.

Last edited by Inline; June 5th, 2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old June 5th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another great day for sleeping. In face I slept later than I wanted to and didn't get anything done this afternoon. That's okay. I don't plan on getting much done during my work week anyway.

Sorry Jamesbo. Wasn't trying to say you are old. Even though that happened before I was born, it doesn't seem like it was ancient history. I guess it's perspective. I can't believe my Mom is in her 70s. Being born in 1941 doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

John that sounds like some pretty normal traffic for Atlanta. Glad you weren't participating in the antics. We'll make plans for next time. Wish we could have gotten together this time. Did you reach any definitive plans for the steps while you were here?

Darrell, as with the rest of society, the dumbing down of parts people continues. When the counter people no longer had to rely on product knowledge because the computer walked (limped?) them through everything, store managers didn't have to hire anyone with experience thus he could pay them less. More and more I see the customer has to do the parts guy's job, because the customer knows what he wants and has to pull teeth to get it. I expect that from Auto Zone but not from NAPA.

Hey would one or some of you check out a thread for me and tell me what you think? Go to "1970 4 door Cutlass Supreme" in the Cars For Sale section, page 2. Mr. Sidney Shifter has sort of added to an old thread and is selling his 4 door Cutlass. I'd be interested in buying it but not sure a sedan with rust is worth what he's asking. If someone would give the pictures a once-over and give me an honest opinion I'd appreciate it. I don't think Mr. SS attends the Good Morning thread so I don't think this is out of line.

Okay time for night 3. I've been contemplating working some overtime this week, but the closer it gets to my Friday the more I want to stay home. I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow. Have a good night everyone and Happy Monday tomorrow.
Old June 5th, 2016, 06:39 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Rained here on and off today and about 70. At least I was able to go to tennis practice today, I have 3 USTA matches this week to prepare for. Problem is that it is hard to come by enough time to practice.

Inline - what happened to your engine? Did I miss a post where you needed to rebuild it?

Mike - Judging by the condition, I would say try to get it around 3k. Probably more rot than you can see. I was at a show a couple of weeks ago and a guy was selling his 68 4 door F85. 250 6 cylinder strip down model, really clean condition. I think he wanted 5 k for it. Here's a pic:

If you're interested, let me know and I'll try to get the two of you together.

Have a good night all.
Old June 5th, 2016, 11:43 PM

Nothing happened to it. ~8:1 comp, 8 heads, leaking head.. Do i need to tell more?

E: So that one is a spare block i bought at winter, solid mains, 7 A heads and 0/0 crank. Will built something more suitable for the name "442"

Last edited by Inline; June 6th, 2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old June 6th, 2016, 03:48 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Darrell, The Supercruise is a monthly Cruise/show that happens on the first Sat of the month in the summer. It has grown so big, the cops do lots of detours and re-routes to try to keep traffic flowing. we made one pass and that was all we needed. took us about 40 minutes to travel 1.5 miles.

So then we went to this hole in the wall place for dinner. it shares the building with a 7-11 and a laundromat. Good BBQ. It'll actually give Rudy's a run for their money.

Chrysler blue?

Jamesbo, I thought you were just storing it, not fixing it?

Mike, I agree NAPA should be better manned as should Carquest. But it seems they are fighting to stay alive with places like Rockauto driving the profits down, down, down.
My 'rents are 80 this year. Thats a sobering thought.

John, I see. For some reason I thought you were referring to some more self-propelled versions. Not sure I could do without my Shop-vac for that long. Here is what I got the missus.http://www.enduro360.com/wp-content/...705_100519.jpg

We went riding on the Dirt bikes yesterday. We really need to get some more seat time before the 12 hour race in August. But of course life is getting in the way. Spose to be 80's most of the week.

Hhave a Monday all.
Old June 6th, 2016, 04:39 AM

D-day folks. Dis is the church in de center of St Mere Eglese where the paratrooper got hung up.They still have a mannequin of one hanging there. Sorry, looks like I'm gonna be the designated ole phart GM thread historian.

FWIW I think everyone should make one trip to Normandy, Certainly gives you a perspective of what I "boys" went through.

Have a GREAT day Olds friends and please give a moment in memory of our fallen heros [no not Cacious Clay]
Old June 6th, 2016, 09:36 AM

No mention anywhere in the news about D-Day, they would rather blather about Heil Trump.
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:44 AM
CQR

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
No mention anywhere in the news about D-Day, they would rather blather about Heil Trump.
Maybe the problem is where you look for your news?
Old June 6th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Been cloudy all day, probably thanks to the hurricane wannabe down near Florida. Sun is trying to peak out now for the last hurrah of the day. It's actually very nice out.

I looked up what I thought was a hornet, and it is in fact, the great black wasp. Funny, when I was growing up, the wasps were yellow. I moved here and they are orange. Anyway I was sure there was a big nest at the shop, nope, just a swarm that goes to bed early.

Thanks Darrell. He actually had it priced lower than what I thought he would. I'm going to call him on my way to work tonight. I'll pass on the 68. I absolutely love the 70 4 door sedan but think the others look bizarre and misplaced. Even the 71-72, odd I know, it's the same car. Again with the perspective.

Clint I've never bought anything from Rock Auto, nor have I bought car parts from Amazon. I suppose I should get with the program. I've ordered online from vendors before, but I prefer to go into the business and buy personally.

Jamesbo if I remember reading, the soldier who was stuck on the church building played dead while the enemy buzzed the steeple, so they wouldn't shoot him up.

Okay time for my Friday. Hope I can get out a little early, I'd like to start my days off early. Got lots to do and despite the storm, we're supposed to have nice weather this week.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:56 PM

Maybe the problem is where you look for your news?
I saw nothing online, nor on CNN, HLN, MSNBC, or even locally.
Old June 6th, 2016, 09:48 PM

Not to belabor the point Ok maybe to belabor the point

Ya gotta hunt around IMHO to find anything worth reading/seeing on the news

Mike, the guys name was John Steele https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Steele_(paratrooper)

Watching 'Ike Countdown to D-day" as I type Excellent program about the decisionmaking process and the of commmitting our men.
Old June 7th, 2016, 04:16 AM

I spose alot of this has to do with age. Where you got on the train of life gives you a different perspective.

There are kids voting in this election that have no idea what a stained blue dress is all about.

When checking out my dates, I Googled the above mention young lady. I wish I could post but it's way too political. I spit my coffee out when I read something like, If it's done to you, you're not [very technically] doing it. WTF kind of logic/spin is that

Fer some strange reason, I don't believe that would hold water with the Super model.

And that Olds friends is your history lesson de jour

Have a GREAT day
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:40 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

I saw that huffpo had a short blurb. I noticed when jogging that Fox news had some on it. I was actually inundated with different stories on FB first thing yesterday morning and it was the topic of discussion on the radio throughout the day. I think I learned more yesterday than the entire lesson plan in HS on it.

Sorry I'm late today. had to go to the Grocery first thing before heading to the rec center.

Have a Tuesday all.
Old June 7th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

How amazed was I when I got out of work at 3 this morning. Got home and crawled into bed for a couple hours and then got up and ready for the day when the dogs wanted their breakfast at 7. Just got home from the Awful house and the gas station. It hurts to put 66 bucks into the pickup's gas tank, but not as much as a couple years ago when 100 didn't fill it.

Jamesbo that's an interesting story about that guy. I didn't realize he was captured anyway, and then escaped. I can't imagine going through stuff like that.

So today is my friend's wife's birthday. He didn't get her anything because she didn't tell him what she wanted. He says she will poor mouth him because of this. I said, you can't be creative and think of something on your own? His only reply was, when it's his birthday he tells her what he wants and where to get it. It is no wonder to me why he's so unhappy in his marriage.

Well, it's beautiful out. Got a few things to do then maybe, just maybe, I'll get the Cadillac finished up. I don't even remember when I started on it. Sheesh. I feel like I have an extra day, since I'm up early on my first day off. Gotta love it. Have a good day everyone.