The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:32 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Lots of rain in the middle of the night. My boy seemed unaffected buy my girl went into her usual crazy mode. As a result, I didn't get a lot of sleep.

Thanks Jamesbo I'll let her know. Today is her first day and she's real excited.

Gotta get to the Awful house. Check you all later.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Anutter clear and cold mawnin here. Not stormy like down east thank goodness.

Clint, the Saturday game went swimmingly. I was on my game all night and the final was 8-2. My lead/second might as well not have shown, they played that bad and between the two they hogged 8 rocks. They emailed ( not phoned ) on Sunday at 3:00 to let me know they wouldn't be there at 5:30. How bloody stupid. I had to default the game to the other team because we can't play with only 2 peeps.

Jim, ax Mike how much fer an amphi but make sher yer pacemaker is switched on high an yer settin.

Mike, try giving her a sleep-aid when it's raining? Either that or dog ear muffs.

Not much on the agenda so we'll see what happens. Enjoy your day.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:22 AM

Well, I'll fill up with coffee, then out to snow blow the mess away, and finally drop my taxes off to get done.

Last edited by 1969w3155; February 2nd, 2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, be careful not to strain with the snow. We're only getting a lite bit of white fluff right now. Mostly fine grain that's turned the beltway into,a gong show. Reports from the news says 10 car pileup on the east end by the river crossing.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:01 AM

well My car shopping is done. Purchased and ready for me to make it mine legally. after a minor repair - it needs a Muffler
I went to look at the 97, my oldest said no.. I looked it over.. they sure hid several paint touch up shots. it was a great 25' er.. but up close not so much. rode like garbage, I went to the public auto auction.. got disgusted at the garbage. Left. Called on the dodge.. it was sold 30 minutes before I called. So I made the drive to look at the 93 Chevy Manual Transmission car. I ended up buying it for a good deal and I enjoyed the drive home (2 hour drive) and it ran perfectly
And I love the color of it.

Attachment 160467
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:06 AM
Captain Starfire

Looks like a great find, Jef! Hope it serves you well for many years, even if it IS a Chibby ...

Did the toolbox come with it? It looks quite high. Does it have air shocks or some sort of booster springs or suspension lifts?
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Congrats Jeff! Looks good, even has a built in beer cooler. Hope it stays reliable for you.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:00 AM

I have done exactly Nothing to it. Stock height.
and yes the tool box did come with it
Old February 2nd, 2015, 01:32 PM
Always room for one more

Jeff that's a good looking truck. Not many came as stick shifters. Is it 4 wheel drive?

John I believe you'd have to go back to 1919 to get an Oldsmobile pickup. Oh I forgot. You drink (blue)Oval-tine while driving your truck. Why is it called Ovaltine?

Well after running around all afternoon, and I do mean all afternoon, I finally got an address for my shop. It was at one time part of a much larger tract that had been split up, but nothing other than that hangar had been built on it so there was no address. I thought I'd have to pull teeth to get the address, since they won't usually give one until they issue a building permit. I told them I wanted electricity run out to the hangar so those were the magic words. I can't get mail there(I don't want to) but it's a start.

Cold as a mother out in the wind. Sunny, though. Looks nice from inside.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 02:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jeff, check this out

TSB LIST FOR THE 1993 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The TSB information displayed below are summaries. Unfortunately we do not have access to the full versions. To get full information about a particular TSB, write down the TSB title & date, & either contact your local dealer or click on the links below.

SUSPENSION:REAR
TSB #01570
NHTSA ID #10005412
Date Announced: JANUARY 01 2004
Additional Info:
How to Fix
Summary: SPRING SLAP NOISE FROM THE REAR OF THE GMT 400 SERIES TRUCK. *MN

More Information »

POWER TRAIN
TSB #990730016A
NHTSA ID #10007838
Date Announced: OCTOBER 01 2002
Additional Info:
How to Fix
Summary: DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION FOR INTERMITTENT TRANSMISSION DOWNSHIFT, SLIP, BUSY/CYCLING TCC OR NOISY COOLING FAN. *TT

More Information »

POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:LEVER AND LINKAGE:COLUMN SHIFT
TSB #020730024A
NHTSA ID #634999
Date Announced: AUGUST 01 2005
Additional Info:
How to Fix
Summary: DIAGNOSIS OF CRACKED OR BROKEN TRANSMISSION CASE. *TT 2006 AND PRIOR CARS AND LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS. *TT

Is this a 4.3, 5.0 or 5.7L engine?
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:44 PM
Captain Starfire

Mike, DK, but here's the 1st few paragraphs from Wiki re: Ovaltine:

Ovaltine was developed in Berne, Switzerland, where it is known by its original name, Ovomaltine (from ovum, Latin for "egg," and malt, which were originally its main ingredients). Soon after its invention, the factory moved out to the village of Neuenegg, a few kilometers west of Berne, where it is still produced.

Ovomaltine was exported to Britain in 1909; a misspelling of the name on the trademark registration application led to the name being shortened to Ovaltine in English-speaking markets. A factory was built in Kings Langley, which exported it to the United States as well. By 1915, Ovaltine was being manufactured in Villa Park, Illinois, for the US market. Ovaltine was later manufactured in Peterborough, Ontario for distribution in Canada. [1][2]

Originally advertised as consisting solely of "malt, milk, eggs, flavored with cocoa," the formulation has changed over the decades, and today several formulations are sold in different parts of the world.

It goes on forever!
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:10 PM
Always room for one more

John I'm disappointed. You didn't recognize a Seinfeld reference?

Although it's interesting reading. I don't think I've ever had Ovaltine.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:14 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Another 7" of the white stuff today, mixed in with freezing rain. Schools were closed, and there will be at least a two hour delay in most districts tomorrow. The roads are frozen and its going down to 7 tonight, I will be surprised if schools are actually open tomorrow. More snow projected for Thursday.

Hope everyone else's weather is better than here!
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Darrell, sounds like you got enough crappy weather there to take care of everyone. You can keep it my friend.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 04:21 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Ovaltine is my favorite Milk mixer. Mike That Chev is 4wd. It has 6 lugs' the 2wd have 5.

Darrell. Hopefully all this global warming will get you all melted off soon.

Jamesbo. Hope whitey took it like Ray Rices' girlfriend.

Have a day all.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:30 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Nice day and not windy. Spose'd to get into the 50s. That will be a nice change. I plan on spending a goodly amount of the day outside.

Found out a guy I know died a couple days ago. He was really old and no one had seen him since before Christmas. We all thought he died and were trying to find out what happened to him, but it turns out he died Feb 1. Sad. He was the last survivor of his family, I think his cousin is going to be taking care of things. That makes -four- regular Awful house people that have died in the past month. I better quit drinking the water.

Clint I saw the six lug wheels, didn't think much about it. I have a 79 Suburban that languishes, it has 6 lug wheels. Back then they were called "Heavy Half." Mine is also 4 wheel drive. And it's a stick shift. An odd Suburban for sure it's a bare bones model.

Darrell be careful. A storm like that would paralyze Atlanta for months.

Okay gonna hit the road. Awful house then Lowes then back here and get to work. Good Tuesday to you all.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:38 AM

Mawn'in all

Like Mike said, Chili ***** on de course yesterday.

Clint, I try to avoid politics and religious discussion. I'm adding football to de things I don't bring up.

Mike, One of des days, I'lll tell ya de story about having to call the fire marshal and tell him dat I need a "Temporary/permanent" power pole to hook an electric fence charger to to keep cows in and NOT to keep people out.
Good luck dealing wit de utility company and the [most likely] inspectors

Jeff, Sweet truck. I've got an 96 4X4 with 235 K miles on it.

John, Are you old enough to remember Captain Mid night on de TV. I think it was sponsored by Ovaltine back in de 50's

Welp, Enjoy de day Olds friends.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:18 AM
Captain Starfire

Nippy at da' Plantation... right at freezin' at Zero-D. Mike, I'm disappointed too... I knew every one of Bania's lines... My goof was forgetting you do as well ;-)

Jamesbo, I don't remember him, but not all the nationally syndicated shows had a perch in N.O. I wonder what year he'd have gone off the air. If it was much before '60, I prolly wouldn't remember anyway.

I remember watching Bozo; but we had a lot of our own (local) shows for the most part. Cap't Mercury appeared in the very early 60s. And we had Romper Room, which appeared in many TV markets, but with different (local) women. (We had Miss Jenny.)

Whelpt, parades will be in full swing down in da' Big Easy this weekend. I wouldn't mind seeing one (maybe Bacchus or Endymion?); but I prolly won't.

Busy day today. Y'all have a great one....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 3rd, 2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Cold one here this mawnin. -15 with wind chill. Didn't plug in the car so hopefully no probs getting it started.

Clint, isn't C 2wd and K 4wd? Or is it C is half ton and K is 3/4 ton?

Nuttin much. Curling practice this mawnin and then out to spend $$ at the market with de wife this afternoon.

Enjoy your day.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys. I am enjoying the truck as is my 17 yr old.
We both love the Manual trans aspect of it.
I Really love the color. My first was a 72 Dodge orange and white, then a Burgandy, Then I had a green suburban and now this. as far as trucks go. Cars.. well too many to list the colors. I know my first was a 1977 Datsun B210 in lovely brown with the honeycomb hub caps. my current car is burgandy as well.
I turned 257000 on it yesterday.
it has the L 1 2 3 and OD..
Maybe Clint can chime in as to which model transmission it is it's not the typical 5 speed.
its going to take some time getting used to starting in 2nd position(actually first gear) as my car is also a Manual transmission. but it is a blast to drive
Old February 3rd, 2015, 08:38 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning all!

We have SUN this morning!!!! It's a beautiful thing. Clouds to move in later though. Up to 16* now after a start of 2*. We got almost a foot of snow on Sunday. Had rain around 2am then the temps dropped, so we also had ice under the snow. Crusty.... roads were a mess yesterday morning. All our schools were closed. They're open today.

Slow and boring in here. Im sooooo tired of sitting that I could scream! Sit here and read all day, sit at home all night. God I can't wait until I can get outside and keep moving! This sucks.

I have to go waste $40 this afternoon and see the chemo doc. She doesn't do a damned thing so I'm going to ask her why I have to come. Be different if she was checking blood or something. Really no reason for her to do a breast exam or anything either. Cha ching!

At noon, I have to go to the UPS store and send Nicole a package, and try to make it to Macedonia Wal Mart and back here in an hour. I'd rather bundle up and walk and enjoy the sunshine while its here.

I stopped and got Tincanio E Checked last night on my way home. Have to get new stickers by Larrys birthday on Mar. 8th. Figured as bad as it was outside yesterday I wouldn't have to wait in line, and I didn't. Got right in and out. I'm going to go to the BMV Saturday morning before I take Lin shopping.

John..... how humid is it in 'Nawlins Memorial day week? Is it really bad then?? My Swamp People show came back on TV last night. I've missed ole Troy! I recorded it. Can't wait to watch it.

Well I better pretend to look busy so you all have a good day!
Old February 4th, 2015, 04:51 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Sandy Glad the suns been stopping by for you. Yesterday was fabulous. I had to work outside (we had a full shop and I couldn't get anything else inside) and was able to work without a coat in the sun.

Mike, I never understood why all the old G20 vans (even the little short ones) were considered 3/4 ton with only a 5 lug wheel. Doesn't make sense to me. Remember the gentleman jim pickups?

Have a humpday all.

Jeff, you most likely have the NV4500 in there that was available as an option I believe.

Allan, yes. Until later when GM offered the old square body and the new body, then the old body 2wd was an R1500 and the 4wd was a V1500. ANd then when they cane up with the new bodystyle in 99 they called them silverado's and sierras instead of the C K classifications. 1500 were 1/2 tons, 2500 were 3/4 and 3500 were 1 tons and so on up to 6500, I think.

John, Have a Hurricane for me.

Jamesbo, I would have never known who he was except for the news. I will admit to watching the last 5 minutes of the stupid bowl. That was fun, especially since I didn't have a dog in the fight.
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:27 AM

Mawn'in all

Spose to be a nice one today

Jeff, I'm not sure I'm following correctly but I think you's got what we used to call a Granny Gear [1st]

Sandy, Glad ya had a nice day

Clint, Pro sports in general makes me want to pitch my cookies. The only thing worse is movie stars politics and rich kids [like Hilton's] Stupidity

Allan, Curling Question. At what age do ya start? Like is there sum kinda Peewee curling like t ball?

John, I ya do venture into de city, don't forget you helmet and flack vest

Welp, I still wondering about Adrian

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm all fer shooting de rodent callin fer more of this cold crap. Not dat it would do much good, but it might make me feel fuzzy an warm.

Jim, yessiree. We start em curlin soon as deys able to stand and not drool on de ice. Dere are junior leagues an some ov dem kids put many a grow up to shame when it comes to skill. Dats why we gots sum great curlers up here, we fixate em on sports dat make sense stead of footyball where none of de players git ta make decisions.

Clint, good stuff. I remember those square box fleet sides. Buddy had a half ton and that thing bounced on the roads worse than a two bit hOoker on a trampoline.

Adrian, cool new tat. Very space warpish. No tats for me, but that one does look cool.

Mike, you know what's silly? The low Saturn is still getting good mpg and shift points are still where they were. Wonder if it's the torque converter? You have the 'normal/Perf' transmission selector on yours?

Dan, hope you're surviving ok. Up to 52.5 meelyun now.

Enjoy your day.
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:26 AM

I'm surviving Allan. off to see the ankle doc this morning. Clint, I remember seeing the Gentleman Jim and the Beau James at the local GMC dealer when I was in high school.
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:40 AM

Yes Jim, It is the Granny Gear... I still love the truck
I can't wait for the chance to put it to the test and tow something with it..or climb a hill.
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:40 AM

Allan, I wish I had started playing golf when I was young. Played with a friend an his 13 YO son. looked like Howdy Doody but played from the tips.Started on number 3 because of de crowds. On 8 he was 6 UNDER so I said."Zack, BJ has the course record at 8 under" I think it got to him He pushed a 250 yard drive. It was and Old age and treachery kinda event
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, I think we all think like that sometimes. Onee thing is yute n vigor still ain't lived like we did.
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Allan, even the rodent in Wisconsin disliked being outside and bit its handler!...

Have a good day...
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Jim, jes anutter tot on dem so called child prggegys. Ax yersef dis. Mebbe dat could be bobby jones come back fer anutter round an de kid iz jes his condooit? Honest, most kids now couldn't have dat kind of talent on der own, given de state ov de current gene pool...

Ted, yeah I would bite him too if he forced me out in the cold without sunglasses. Dang, no protection from sun or paparazzi.
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Late to get going this morning. Got to bed after 1 last night and the dogs wanted to get up at 6. No way. So we got up at 7 and I drug my feet all the way to the Awful house. It's nice out today, a little cold, but it's still gonna be frigid tonight so no concrete.

Clint I don't know why the G20's are 3/4 ton, either. It gets me out of having to do an emission test. Though this year is the first year the blue van would be exempt. The G vans to my knowledge never had 6 lug wheels. Eight lug wheels yes, and 14 bolt Corporate rear ends. I had a G10 shorty once that had been a phone company van. V6 1/2 ton, I wish I still had it.

Allan I think you're selling your car short. It isn't supposed to be a luxo-cruiser. It's a cheep economy car and from the sounds of it it is still doing its job. If you weren't 2500 miles away I'd go up and get it from you. Yes I have the PERF button. It stays in normal all the time. I think one of the reasons it has the problems it does now is that my friend's wife would leave it in performance and then go WOT at every light.

I don't remember the Gentleman Jim trucks. Only the Big 10's. A friend of mine has a Montana truck or some such thing, early 70s, which is weird because it says Cheyenne on the fender. Hm.

Well I gotta find something to do. Have a good hump everyone.
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:41 AM
CQR

Mike the cheyenne was a trim package, but I don't remember a montana package.
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Always room for one more

I remembered. It's Bonanza, not Montana. I was close.

Went out to drop the gas tank out of the 57 Chevy. I thought it was nice that someone put a pipe fitting plug in the bottom so I could drain it before I took it loose. I didn't realize I had parked that thing with a full tank. Bad move. Got the bolts soaking and they should bust loose pretty easy in a little while.

Love the Granny gear 1st. I didn't think they used that after the GMT400's came out.

Okay lunch is over. Back to work.
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by crzyjef
I can't wait for the chance to put it to the test and tow something with it..or climb a hill.

Or a Tree
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Captain Starfire

Soggy afternoon, after a soggy mernin' & nite, and looking forward to a soggy evenin'. Not complainin'.... the only bad thing about the rain is what it does to our poor gravel road... or rather, what the loons do to our poor gravel road when it's wet.

James, da' bike is in Gawga; no worries dare! Da' Abalon seems to glide along on clover rain or shine... I wish they would let you run fresh air up to the defroster ducts w/out the compressor on, but I guess the ol' ladies (I'm thinkin' at least half of all Avalons belong to ol' ladies) would holler at the service clerks about dem cloudy windshields... what a horror if they had to push another button.

Sandy, Memorial Day in da' swamp can be a mite humid... The big change seems to come right around Jazz Fest, which is the last weekend in April and 1st weekend of May. For some reason, there's always a sweatin' weekend for Jazz Fest, although you never know. End o'May certainly wouldn't be as bad as August, you can bet your last doubloon....

Clint, the last Hurricane I had in a glass was about 25 years ago, although when I was a young gun, I was known to knock back one or two ;-) I think it's about time for you to come meet us down in the Quarter. I think Sandy has da' fever.

Whelpt, just bought out Sam's. I guess we're good for another week or so.

Y'all stay dry & warm, Oldsmofriends.
Old February 4th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Allan I think you're selling your car short. It isn't supposed to be a luxo-cruiser. It's a cheep economy car and from the sounds of it it is still doing its job. If you weren't 2500 miles away I'd go up and get it from you. Yes I have the PERF button. It stays in normal all the time. I think one of the reasons it has the problems it does now is that my friend's wife would leave it in performance and then go WOT at every light.
Mike, you kill me. I'm still laughing. Saturn - a luxo-cruiser?? Never in my wildest dreams. I only bought this car because I needed something that was safe for my wife and infant son at the time. CR gave it an excellent rating for crash protection, but noted it was coarse with engine/driveline. I was more than willing to pay what I did at the time, which was 19,240.00. It's fully loaded and except for being an SOHC it could easily pass for an optioned SL2. Other offerings like Honda/Yota/Subaru/Saab etc were just out of the price range. I still have the original BOS and every single document for servicing and parts that have gone into this car. Heck if you lived even 1000 miles closer I'd meet you half way and sell it to you, catch the next Greyhound home. Reason I asked about the torque converter is that when the car first starts I can hear the whine which is in sync with the flywheel speed. There is no shuddering or slippage at shift points, so this whole thing is a bit of a mystery. Don't want to spend anything on this car that isn't necessary.
Old February 4th, 2015, 12:04 PM

An Atlanta traditon notvery well liked by sum new comers. Had lunch there today

http://thevarsity1928.blogspot.com/2...t-varsity.html
Old February 4th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Always room for one more

Allan I'm telling you. Open the hood and listen for that whine. I was certain the whine in my car was the trans, and when I opened the hood I found the noise was coming from the right side of the car. The trans is on the left side. My car cost new just shy of 17K, strange your car would be more.

Got the tank out of the Chev. It's been out before, but it's been awhile. Got a long list of MAWs while it's out.

Jamesbo I've eaten at the Varsity a couple times. Never had the good stuff, like the onion rings or pies or FOs. I think I just had a burger and a brownie.

Got a little bit of daylight left so I'm gonna keep on with the car. Wonder how long it will take the stale gasoline smell to wear off my hands.
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So Mike, what was the cause of the whine on your high Saturn?? I will have a listen as you suggest.

Don't forget that as far as car purchases go, we pay a lot more up here for less. In 1996 the $C was only at 74¢ compared to the US greenback. So a 17K car in the US would cost around 24K up here after tax and licensing. Using that same comparison, my car would have cost around 15K down there brand new. The car is fully loaded too. Might even have more options than your SL2.
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Mike, I think you're onto something.

The noise sounds like it might be coming from the alternator. I also distinctly remember that when the car was parked hot, it smelled like hot undercoating - which would likely be the alt bearings starting to overheat? I'm not pharting around with it right now because it's too friggen cold lying under it now. I replaced that alternator on 10 May 2008. Yup, reading off the invoice from NAPA - it cost me 145.29 + tax = 152.55. Only had a 3 year warranty and that's long gone. I remember it was a beach to change at the time.