The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2013, 10:27 AM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slantflat
Darrell that is a beautiful Riv. What is in the fenders on that model? My Granddad liked Buicks. He had a succession of Wildcats until they were no more then it was LeSabres. His last car was a 79 Delta 88. It had typical bad GM silver paint and it all flaked off and was dull. It was a 350 but man that thing would haul. I'd take it out on some errands and the next time my Grandmother would drive it she'd say, my, my car has never run so well. What did you do to it? Actually I never did anything to it, just drove more than 20mph.
Thanks Mike. There are big cornering lights in the fenders. They only light up when I just pull out the light switch halfway, not when the headlights are on. I like driving it when it is dusk out just to put them on. One of these days, I'll wire them to stay on with the headlights.

When are you going to Australia? Is that for work?
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Cutlass Lover

Darrell.... ya threw me for a loop there! You changed everything, lol. Almost didn't recognize you. I like it. I need to change my sig pic and avatar one of these days.

Well it's still 40 degrees out and no rain yet, so maybe the snow will miss us too? That would be nice. I'm not gonna hold my breath though.

Wish it was 5:00 already........
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Always room for one more

Darrell I go to Australia every year to see some friends and to attend a car show. My friends live in the Pakenham/Berwick area outside of Melbourne, and we go to Albury to Chryslers On The Murray. Been doing that for years. I used to stay a couple weeks and we'd do other stuff, mostly local things, but since I've had the dogs I only am there long enough to go to Albury. That makes for a hectic trip sometimes as I'm gone from home 7 days only. It wasn't so bad when I flew QANTAS the whole way but now that Delta flys to Sydney it's more complicated.

Oh Sandy, as the song says, it's 5:00 somewhere.
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Captain Starfire

And a Leslie Neilsen fan, too?

Yeah, I remember one friend of mine in the 70s had a '76 Malibu Classic with a small-block 400 in it.... single exhaust, catalytic converter, smog motor all the way. But because he had mags, air shocks, and huge tires on the back, he thought it was fast .... Nobody told my ol' '73 Delta 455 that the Malibu had fat back tires ...

Oh well, Mike; at least yer honest. Maybe we could recruit a youngster on the board and start by explaining who the Marcels are.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
I know what you mean, I like most makes but Buicks are one of my favorites, especially Rivieras. I've had this one since before I could drive and never modified it or thought of selling it. When I started driving in high school, friends would always brag about how fast their Camaro, Impala, 5.0 Mustang was etc. but none of them accelerated like this. The torque of the Nailhead is addicting. It's still the original engine, 50 yrs old and going strong.
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaack.

Mike, If you can find it on line, I'll buy ya a new piano. So fer I've spoken wit 4 Rabbi's and gotten 6 different answers.

Speak'in of Buicks' I love deuce and a quarters.
Love Granny sports also.

Ok guys timme fer a little technobabble, bermeber the GM "ban" on over 400 cubic inches in a A body. Technically, didn't a 69 Grand sport have a 401? or did I miss sum'in?
Old February 27th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Captain Starfire

Kinda...

Jamesbo,

I don't think the GM "ban counters" looked too closely at that. I think they were more interested in enforcing the spirit than the letter of the law, given the huge costs of tooling motors and the big demand there was for "hot" cars during the ban.

Buick still called it a GS 400 (with its baby sibling, the GS 340), even though it was a 401 thru '66 while it was a nailhead. Then in '67 it really was 400 CID when they went to their "modern" OHV design. The Chibby SS 396 in the late 60s and early 70s was actually a 402.
Old February 27th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Always room for one more

Well okay everyone it's that time again. Gee I haven't been to work in 6 nights. Hope they don't have to retrain me.

Jamesbo I was surfing around looking at Jewish cemetery stuff and while I didn't find anything earth shattering, I did learn a little. Oddly enough.

Two more and it's the weekend yet again. Looks like March will come in like a lamb here in the Peach state. Hope everyone is having a good evening.
Old February 27th, 2013, 05:58 PM
GM Enthusiast

No snow here today, it finally stopped raining and warmed up into the upper 40's. Don't know why, but the daffodil's are already coming up. Do they feel the warmer air through all the snow??

Mike - well, I'm sure the flight is a killer but at least it sounds like you're having fun when you get there. It's on my bucket list to go there someday.

Sandy - yes I finally got around to updating my profile. Leslie Nielsen was one of my favorite actors. That pic is from Naked Gun 2. Got my kids interested in his spoofs too so they're going around the house quoting him.

Hope everyone had a great day.
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Evening everyone.
Darrell - I like it. I'm also a fan of Leslie Nielsen. He was Canadian too, eh? Sad day in history when he passed.

Mike - have a great time in Oz.

We're expecting a lamb to welcome in March too. Except for Sat/Sun when it's supposed to snow.

John - the 76 LT4 in the Malibu was about as powerful as the 1972 Olds 350 L34 (180hp). Your 73 455 would be stock 225, right? We had a 76 Malibu Classic but it only had the LM1 350 4bbl with 165hp. Pretty good engine too, but no way it was going to win any races. It was built for comfort. Now your Delta was built for comfort AND haulin.....you remember what gears you had?
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:09 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili and clear dis mawn'in

Mike, I wished you let me know what cha found. I'm lost and de names/language confuses me. It reminds me of driv'in round in a foreign country like Hawaii. When you're look'in fer a street. Ya got to stop de car an read real slow. Kappula cause it might be Kappulli and you'd make de wrong turn.

BTW, I did sum'em yesterday at de Awful House I've never done in my few thousand stops at a Awful House. I ordered a Waffle? with honey and butter a 3 strips of bacon.

Sorry Gang, I can't carry a tune in a bucket. I flunked recorder[dem black plastic flutes] in grammar school.

One of de funiest things I ever heared on de radio was dur'in Christmas a few years back. De DJ was ax'in people to call in an sing de Hallalejuah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. De person who did it de best one sum'in [I forgets what]

Anywho after a long series of pitiful failures at sing'in de rather difficult portion, sum pro choir lady called in an blew the walls off

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good night at work. Started outside in the wind but later moved inside with good lighting and heat. Some ******** screwed up the FMC load and then went home, so the lead was running around all crazy trying to get things back to normal.

Jamesbo here is the website I was reading. http://www.jewish-funeral-guide.com/...h-cemetery.htm It has lots of stuff on being dead and jewish, hope it helps.

I had a cell phone once that I had play the Hallelejuah choir. Imagine getting woke up by that when someone calls and you're sleeping.

Oh did I say sleeping? Guess it's that time. No, I'm turning the phone off. These days the phone just rings. How boring. Have a great day everyone.
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:38 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Thursday Mawnin Oldsmofolks

Gonna be a humdinger of a day with a chilly start but will fair up enough for the bluebirds to sing about.

John I guess we're stuck with a duet serenade and truth be told I can't carry a tune worth a hoot either But I'd give it a whirl LOL

From what I can tell Jamesbo ya jest has to build a head buttin wall with some writing on it BTW It's funny you mentioned it but I have yet to buy a waffle from da Awful Jamesbo I started a thread called Dealer Stories that I am sure you can prolly tell us a knee jerker or two

Got to get down to the shop today, one of my camera's went tango uniform apparently from the 15+ inches of rain we received the last few weeks

Have a great day out there in Olds land
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:45 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Mike do they have to label them Deltas like they do for Kulula

Smoking section on the wing, if you can light it you can smoke

Old February 28th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Cloudy with some rain/snow mix coming down. Temp at 31, so it's starting to stick. Just goes downhill from here, lol.

Darrell..... I've had daffodils up about 3 inches or so and hyacinths coming up for a month and a half! I don't understand it either. Guess mother nature knows what she's doing, lol. The crocus are coming up now. I have some winter crocus that should be blooming soon. It sure will be nice to see some color! I am sooooooo ready for spring.

At least today is pay day finally!! I hate this getting paid twice a month. I run out of money long before the next check, lol. 15 days until the next payday, now. I'm used to getting paid every 2 weeks. This is the only place I've worked that pays twice a month.

Nicole had a phone interview with that Hudson vet last night, but she didn't seem to excited about it. She said the lady didn't know if they'd be hiring soon, there are kids trying to get in their volunteer hours or something, so who knows. She's job shadowing at a vet in Streetsboro today.

Well I guess I better attempt to do something, so you all have a good day!!
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:53 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Mike do they have to label them Deltas like they do for Kulula

LOL , do they tell you where the bathroom is too ? I want that car too
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Captain Starfire

Good mawnin', Oldsmofriends

Allan and Darrel, my 89-y.o. aunt and I were talking about Leslie Neilsen just last week. I bought the whole set of Boris Karloff's "Thriller" series, and he was the star of the very first episode (1960). But good lawd, he played in some stuff over his career.

Allan,
Yeah, my Delta Royale had the 225-hp 455 (single exhaust). But I did tweak the easy stuff: I put twice-pipes on it right off the bat; richened the Q-Jet front & back; and put a little curve kit in the distributor. I think I had mentioned in an earlier post I used to take it to Gulfport (MS) Dragway and it would faithfully run b/w 16 flat (best time) and 16.5, depending on weather and what kind of grip I could get with my one-wheel-drive (it had the open 2.73).

Originally Posted by Allan R
Evening everyone.
John - the 76 LT4 in the Malibu was about as powerful as the 1972 Olds 350 L34 (180hp). Your 73 455 would be stock 225, right? We had a 76 Malibu Classic but it only had the LM1 350 4bbl with 165hp. Pretty good engine too, but no way it was going to win any races. It was built for comfort. Now your Delta was built for comfort AND haulin.....you remember what gears you had?

Y'all have a great Thursday.
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:22 AM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone.
Darrell - I like it. I'm also a fan of Leslie Nielsen. He was Canadian too, eh? Sad day in history when he passed.
Allan - yes, I think he was born in Saskatchewan. I thought it was great that he was still doing movies all the way up to the end of his life. Some of his best work over the past 25 years IMO.

John - I am trying to watch more of his older movies now. (I just have to explain to my kids that they are not comedy roles.)
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Always room for one more

Good evening everyone.

Friday for me. I have two hours of vacation I need to use tonight, because I get new vacation March 4 and I won't be back before then. I can only imagine the joy I will find trying to use it tonight.

Those pictures of that plane are pretty funny. Although the one showing the front left side is a bit off. Where it's pointing to the galley is actually the lav. The galley is on the other side. I do like the Australian Chrysler by Chrysler with the big wing. Very apropos. I don't know how to spell that.

Scot think about what a good time this weekend would be to get together. I'll have to scare up some wheels. You might also get to help me with the come along. Yikes. There's a ramp truck on craigslist that would be a perfect truck for me. I don't have any place to keep it, but at least it would still park a car that it displaced.

Okay here I go. Hope everyone is ready for Friday and has a good weekend planned.
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:42 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Mike good news, the neighbor has returned 3 of the 4 wheels and I have been thrashing to get them back on. 2 of those seem to hold air and one tire was shot. I did realize there is no driveshaft on it though Kinda hoping to hear it purr one more time, but it is hard to find TDC by yourself. Anyway the other neighbor may have the fourth rim I tried calling him but to no avail yet, will try again in the morning. I have come alongs as well as chains and even a chain hoist type come along if need be. Its a good thing the van is up on the highest part of the property since we had 15+ inches the last few weeks
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:51 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Where ya at?? Happy March 1st...... only 10 more days and we get to set the clocks back up an hour!!! Yaaaaaayyyy!! A cold 25 degrees here now, and we have flurries coming down.

Did you turn your Olds calendar's?? Isn't Teepo just soooo beautiful, lol? I love I love I love my calendar girl!

I'm glad it's Friday. It's been a long boring week around here. I don't have much planned for the weekend, gotta go get tags at the BMV tomorrow morning and hope I don't have to stand in line all day!

Mike and Scot.... good luck with your venture!

Well have a great day when ya wake up, lol.
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:01 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Friday Mawnin Oldsmopeeps

Clear and cooler today with temps only reaching the mid 50's for the high and ever colder the next couple of days

Next weekend is the annual Peaches to Beaches yardsale http://www.peachestothebeaches.com/ I haven't decided if I want to be a buyer/browser or try to host a sale since my shop is right along the main path

Maybe John can come down and we can charge admission for our doo wop renditions

Well I got a lot accomplished yesterday and even repaired the defunct camera on my surveillance system It turns out the transformer was bad so I wired them all together on one transformer and bingo. It was a funny conversation I had with the company that I bought them from...

Me: How long is the warranty on IR cameras you sell?
Him: Um how long have you had them?
Me: Bout three years
Him: Oh yeah they are out of warranty
Me: Hmm
Him: If you like, you can call back in the morning and set up a service call
Me: How much is that?
Him: $65 an hour with a two hour minimum
Me: And how much is a comparable camera?
Him: About $100 for a decent IR color camera with nightvision
Me: Tanks but no tanks.... Click
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:02 AM

Mawn'in all

Clear and chili down ere

Mike, Tanks fer de link. Most of dat stuff I already new. What I can't seem to figger out is why sum older cemeteries have a wall around de Jewish section an why de newer ones don't. Most confusi'in.

Scot/Mike I'm sorry but I got lost in your conservation. Are y'all gonna move a van from Perry to Stockbride w/o wheels. I've got a trailer to haul my tractor around if ya need it. Only problem is de squirels ate de wiring off it. But if folks can't see a big ole van on a trailer HOH are de gonna see a little bitty red lite?

TGIF Olds friends.
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone and Happy Friday.

Not a bad night at work. I did indeed get my two hours of vacation, and what really surprised me, more by who said it, why not just leave at lunch(4am) because it's stupid to come back for only 30 minutes. I did okay. In fact I got home, the dogs wanted their breakfast, and I've had 5 hours of sleep. Now I got the whole day ahead of me.

Jamesbo you're sort of right. The van had wheels that the neighbors "liberated" and now most of them are back. I have a couple I can bring along. The fun part will be getting the front wheels past the fenders on my trailer. The G20 is a little too wide, but when I bought the blue van I hauled it from downtown and it got up there, just had to give it some gas to squeeze the tires past. We'll have to get creative with the come along, unless Scot has arms like roast beef.

Well I guess I'll get ready to go to breakfast with my neighbor. He usually won't go if I ask him but he's back on the kick of trying to sell me his pontoon boat so I'm guessing he'll go today. I wouldn't mind a nice new pontoon but I'd rather spend my money on other things.

Have a good day everyone see you all later.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:00 AM

Mike, Ya can keep it [with de keys] at my house in de mountains.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:21 AM
Always room for one more

Keep what at your place, the van?
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM

No the pontoon boat
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:44 AM
Always room for one more

I figured, I was just being a wise guy.

What a deal. 11K for a two year old pontoon with less than 3 hours on it. He said I'm the only one he'd make that deal for. Trouble is I just don't want it. I got other things to spend my money on. On the other hand, how nice would it be to have a new pontoon with a 60 horse motor to annoy the neighbors with.
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:46 AM

Mike, What make engine do de boat have?

BTW, Here's a test fer Scot, you foreigners can play too
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:17 AM
Always room for one more

It's a Mercury. 60HP fuel injected. Boy it starts up as nice as a car. The boat is 20ft so it moves along quite nicely. You want a pontoon Jamesbo? He'd sell it to a stranger for 14. Maybe even a little less. But it doesn't have a trailer.

I can answer some of those questions. There's a couple in there that have a couple answers that some folks might not have thought of. For instance, grits are made with cement and a John Deere can be yellow. Okay I made one of those up.
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM

Pass Mercury's are Welfare motors. De don't werk.

Actually, I've got a 52 model that was Ok. I'd luv to have an ole Hurricaine 10 with straight pipes
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:05 PM
Always room for one more

Okay never heard that one. What if it were an Oldsmarine?

I saw a picture of an Olds 330 on an airplane once.

My neighbor has got a suicide Lincoln parts car sitting on his driveway that the cover blew off a couple days ago. The yard nazies will be all over him. Maybe now I'll get a little reprieve.
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:20 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
BTW, Here's a test fer Scot, you foreigners can play too
That's too easy Jamesbo that test is fer furriners
I'd luv to have an ole Hurricaine 10 with straight pipes
That'll get the neighbors woke up in style
Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:16 AM

Mawn'in all

Crazy weather, It jes spit sum snow las nite. Not enough to do much.

Scot, I't been about 50 year since I've seen a Merc Hurricaine 10. We used to have dem on hydroplanes. Best I recall de had a plate ya removed and bolted the straight pipes out de back. Tress cool little engine dat would make a 8' hydroplane tote de mail. I'll search fer a pic when I gets sum time.

Mike, I hate to tell ya but Honda an Yamaha did to Johnson, Evinrude and Mercury boat engines what Husky and Stihl did to Homelite chain saws.

I've got a Honda 90 on my 17' Boston Whaler and not only does it start, it flies

Sandy, did you take de test?
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:18 AM
Always room for one more

Mornin' everyone.

Cool today and grey out, but no rain so that's a good thing. Haven't seen what it's supposed to do this weekend. Nothing phases me at this point.

Jamesbo I'm not up on my chainsaw news. What did Husky and Stihl do to Homelite? I know Home Depot put McCollough out of business by allowing everyone to buy one, use it, return it, thus netting McC no moolah.

After a short stay at the Awful house I'm headed south to meet up with Scot to have a look at that van. Of course I remembered just as I was crawling into bed about 1am that the trailer is hooked to the Suburban, which has a bad wheel cylinder and a dead battery. So the first part of the mission will be to get the trailer hooked onto the black truck. Fun.

Well Happy Saturday everyone.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:36 AM

Mike, You obviously never had one of dem ole blue Homelites. They were a real POS. I had a 67 E type Jag dat cha had 'bout a 50/50 shot of it start'in in de mawn'in. The Homelite was worst dan de Jag.

Styhl and Husky now IMHO make de best chain saws dat ever hit this Orb.

It's de same wit outboard engines. De new Hondas and Yamahas 4 stroke engines put de ole outboard engines in de shade.

Jes ax Scot, He's a fisherperson.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:16 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Saturday Mawnin All

Well the needle finally is above the 40* mark, but it's not going to get much warmer today.

You better believe the 4 stroke is a great engine as far as reliability goes, but a good runnin 2 stroke with blow right by with ease because they make more power. Trouble is mainly that ethanol in today's gas gunking up stuff that isn't run once a week or better.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:00 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
I think he was born in Saskatchewan.
I think that part of my families roots come from around there ( French Canadian Indian ) Dont ask what tribe , my mom told me a few times and it was a real tough one to remember , let alone pronounce .

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
only 10 more days and we get to set the clocks back up an hour
Yaaaay is right !

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Isn't Teepo just soooo beautiful ?
I hoping your going to have some competition some day

Originally Posted by slantflat
What a deal. 11K for a two year old pontoon with less than 3 hours on it. He said I'm the only one he'd make that deal for. Trouble is I just don't want it. I got other things to spend my money on. On the other hand, how nice would it be to have a new pontoon with a 60 horse motor to annoy the neighbors with.
To each their own . I would rather have a fishing boat .

Pass Mercury's are Welfare motors. De don't werk
What ? You got to be kidding me ! or are you talking about todays standards ?
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Happy Saturday Olds people

Ok, I took the test. Then I took another one that checks to see how much I know about Canada. Guess which one I aced?

So Scot and Jamesbo - if that test is so easy, what are the answers?

Tim Horton's Brier starts here today. Opening ceremonies just wrapped up an hour ago. The competition starts at 2:00 ET for any of you that get TSN.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
GM Enthusiast

Happy weekend everyone. Quiet day here, but there's always something to do. Hope to finish putting in the rear bumper fillers on my Caddy. After 28 years, they disintegrated and fell apart while I was waxing it.

Have a great day.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
"Car"mudgeon

So Scot and Jamesbo - if that test is so easy, what are the answers?
Okay let's see if I can do this fast.

1) 7
2) 43 Petty Blue
3) Fishin
4) Texas Longhorns
5) UGA of course
6) Brine & boiled p-nuts
7) 283
8) French
9) A mite that thrives in the woods
10) Poke trimmings mush
11) Panama City
12) Spanish Moss
13) Evinrude
14) Bowfin or mudfish
15) Nothing (Steers are not "intact" as Jamesbo's vet puts it )
16) Hank Williams Sr.
17) Coarse Ground Corn
18) Paul Bryant
19) The flora, fauna and landscape makes it appear bluish from a distance
20) White lightnin
21) Helen Crump
22) WSM on the AM dial
23) SE Gawgia
24) Three-legged race
25) Mandolin
26) Some have 4 others have 5
27) Dragin you down to his level where spectators can't tell who's who
28) Wild grape like fruit like a muscadine
29) Yes
30) No only is it the best eatin but the higher the parts are out of the sty and slop the better. To live high on the hawg is pretty much better off than most.
31) Green & Yella
32) You don't they (He) can't
33) leaves