The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2024 | 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I had the opportunity to get off on 64 but the GPS said do something different. I tried running the map forward but couldn't see anything, then went in and looked at a map at a rest area, and I couldn't even see 64, so I stuck with what the GPS said. Big mistake. I would have been better off going up 65 to I-80 and taking that across to Moline. My brother lives in Wood River. Next time we fly.
Ya, I've had the same thing happen to me many times, trusting the damn GPS because I didn't know the area. Next thing ya know you're in East Bejesus! Glad your Mom was a trooper, it's a long enough drive without any extra tension. Glad you guys made it safely!
Old August 30th, 2024 | 09:17 PM
Running On Empty

Since Allan is long gone, this is for Jamesbo, because he liked mocking Allan.
Spot on.
Old August 31st, 2024 | 02:39 AM

Mike/Norm, I really liked Allan and miss him, I just never understood the sport. I [of course] can't remember the name of the other guy from the frozen north that had a giant Oldsmobile sign in his garage. Anyway he said in Canada it's not called Canadian Bacon

Last edited by Jamesbo; August 31st, 2024 at 02:44 AM.
Old August 31st, 2024 | 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Ya, I've had the same thing happen to me many times, trusting the damn GPS because I didn't know the area. Next thing ya know you're in East Bejesus! Glad your Mom was a trooper, it's a long enough drive without any extra tension. Glad you guys made it safely!
I used my phone on my trips to Indy and had the same problem- couldn't go ahead far enough to see what the outcome to the GPS journey was. So I tried to buy a map- Yeah right!! You can't buy any maps! Another problem was the app kept asking if I wanted a shorter route, because windows down, etc I didn't hear and it would change my route to a super highway. This was in my 56 Truck which I had supposedly set for non freeways... I will be more prepared for my trip to Pennsylvania.
Old August 31st, 2024 | 07:10 AM

Even the welcome stations have quit giving maps. I try to review my routes the night before. Even in a 70s muscle car I hate punching it hard down the superhighways although I will get provoked sometimes into offensive driving and put the fuel economy down at 6 mpg and vamoose.
Old August 31st, 2024 | 08:44 AM

I do the same as John, research the route beforehand so I have an good idea where I’m going. If I use a phone, I input the destination in the map app and figure my own route by - wait for it - actually looking at the digital map. I absolutely hate voice GPS - my wife uses it and lets it tell her turn by turn how to get out of our neighborhood to the highway. That drives me nuts.

Last edited by Fun71; August 31st, 2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old August 31st, 2024 | 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I do the same as John, research the route beforehand so I have an good idea where I’m going.
x3
Old August 31st, 2024 | 09:59 AM

I grew up in Orlando and still know that town all right. I live in Evansville, so, sometimes, I will gps my way through town to learn some new roads. I will sometimes, on road trips, when confronted with traffic, just head in the direction I want to go and get back on course with GPS later. A compass is still useful.
Old August 31st, 2024 | 12:54 PM

I do the same as John, research the route beforehand so I have an good idea where I’m going.
I just got done doing this. Headed 45-miles one way to Collinsville, IL tomorrow to a judged Show at the VFW there. I'm not very familiar with that area and needed to check-out the city streets after I get off the major highway. Collinsville is the home of Brooks Catsup (which I was never a fan of), and home to the World's Largest Catsup Bottle, which serves as the town's water tower.

Old August 31st, 2024 | 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Collinsville is the home of Brooks Catsup (which I was never a fan of),
Because it’s catsup and not ketchup.
Old August 31st, 2024 | 04:25 PM

Because it’s catsup and not ketchup.
So true!
Old August 31st, 2024 | 05:03 PM

We got a little rain here. Yesterday I hauled everything off the back porch, bunch of metal shelves and plyboard which had been there for a few years and hosed and scrubbed it with a scrub brush on a stick. Got it 75% clean. It was hotter than hell, so I quit. Took a snooze, had lunch, had a 2 hour meeting with lawyer ladies from California on these HR complaints. We will have another meeting in a week. Seems to be going ok. Today, I vacuumed the ashes of my fireplace, then the back porch. Put the plyboard back on the porch and laid out cardboard for sawdust collection here shortly. Put the shelves on the sidewalk.

I split up a 67 bench seat into pieces for easier storage and got the garage cleared for my truck, which is back in there now. Going to do hydraulic clutch work. I took one metal shelf set apart and I could save 2/3rds of it and the rest is rusted. These are from my grandfather's basement and I have about 12 of them. I think I can get 8 or so from the good pieces when I bolt them back together in my basement. They all got rained on, oh well.
Old August 31st, 2024 | 05:47 PM

John - Sounds like you've been staying pretty busy. Best of luck with the HR review/negotiations. Hope all goes well with the truck repairs!
Old August 31st, 2024 | 06:43 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a nice long day with my aunt driving through the countryside looking at cemeteries. Neither Mom or I had been to them in probably 20 years. It's kind of weird to go visiting cemeteries but this is all we have left of people we used to be close with. Then we met two of my cousins, my aunt's kids, and had lunch and just talked. They went home and Mom and I drove around a little looking at the old houses and whatnot. It's a little sad. The whole town is run down. Not a lot of industry like there used to be, people don't have a lot of money, and things are grown up, and run down, and generally unkempt looking.

It's been a year since Allan has signed on to the forum. I liked Allan sometimes and sometimes he drove me nuts. It makes me wonder why someone who was so active on the forum just up and vanishes. Hope he's okay.

My favorite has always been an atlas. For years whenever I was planning a big trip I'd go buy the latest atlas. Drove back and forth to California a couple times with one. I've even used the big fold out maps but they aren't as nice because they take up the whole car.

Chris good luck with the show tomorrow. Some day I'll have a nice car and I'll bring it up and face off against you.

I'll sleep good tonight. I slept good last night. Don't know exactly what we'll do tomorrow but it's been nice being here. It's kind of weird being on central time. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old August 31st, 2024 | 08:42 PM

Ah yes, the road atlas is/was the holy grail of transportation knowledge. Map reading is becoming a forgotten skill, where old folks just needed to know head north whereas the current generation needs to be told get into the far right lane and take the exit to the right, then turn right. They have no idea where north is.

Last edited by Fun71; August 31st, 2024 at 08:44 PM.
Old August 31st, 2024 | 08:53 PM

Hi everyone.

Chris good luck with the show tomorrow. Some day I'll have a nice car and I'll bring it up and face off against you.
Thanks Mike! I think you already have a really, really cool car, that big Chrysler. If I were you I'd put some money into that baby and you'd really have a head turner, plus you'd have something you never see at Shows, and judges like that. Just my 2-cents.

I know exactly what you mean when you said your hometown looked run down, mine is too. It's nothing like when I left there in the early 80's, it's very sad and depressing! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old August 31st, 2024 | 10:13 PM

Last time I used an atlas was 2018 for the hot rod power tour for my dad to read. He kept telling me how to drive, and I had to remind him to tell me where to drive.
Old September 1st, 2024 | 04:45 AM

On my trip around Indy, after being completely frustrated, and couldn't find a map, I stopped in to a Rite Aid and asked 2 young girl employees about directions, They were very nice and friendly but didn't have a clue. I used terms like north, south, east and west. I could tell that they knew nothing of that, In fact they really didn't know left and right. That's when I realized that they were too young to have ever used maps and just listened to the GPS tell them where to go. Boy if we ever have a complete black out of satellites, etc, I wonder how the world will continue?
Old September 1st, 2024 | 08:56 AM

So I tried to buy a map- Yeah right!
! last year I bought a Rand McNally road atlas. I was surprised that there were some at the rest area that I stopped at on my way to pick up the Olds.
Old September 1st, 2024 | 03:44 PM

Hi guys,
Gorgeous day for a car show, 80° and sunny. I was fortunate to crack the Top 20. You can read more details and see pics here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...7/#post1590117
Old September 1st, 2024 | 06:46 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another great day here in the Quad Cities, which is comprised of about 6 or 7 cities. Went early to my favorite Maid Rite, then checked out a couple more cemeteries. Went and spent the afternoon at my aunt's place and talked with a couple of my cousins as well and had lunch. Gonna be early to bed tonight so we can get up before the chickens and head home. Another long ride but it will be nice to be home. Though it's been a good visit.

Chris those are nice pictures. I think my favorite is the DeSoto convertible. My big Imperial is a good 20 footer, but up close it wouldn't hold a candle to most show cars. Next weekend is a big car show along with trains and planes in Geneseo where my cousin lives, but alas I won't be back to see it. Sounds like a good time.

Hope everyone has had a nice holiday weekend. Tomorrow is actually the holiday, so I better be careful driving home. Three over the limit? I'm obviously drunk and can expect a $300 ticket. Sheesh.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old September 1st, 2024 | 07:58 PM

Hi everyone.

Another great day here in the Quad Cities, which is comprised of about 6 or 7 cities. Went early to my favorite Maid Rite, then checked out a couple more cemeteries. Went and spent the afternoon at my aunt's place and talked with a couple of my cousins as well and had lunch. Gonna be early to bed tonight so we can get up before the chickens and head home. Another long ride but it will be nice to be home. Though it's been a good visit.
Mike - Glad you've been having a nice visit. Thanks for the compliment on the pictures, I really liked that Desoto too. Safe travels home.
Old September 1st, 2024 | 08:17 PM

Finally had all the parts to work on the truck's hydraulic clutch system so I did. I removed the slave cylinder, two lines, one pressure hose, and one gravity feed no pressure hose from the engine compartment side. Slave cylinder came off easily, the clips for the hose were minor pains, and one tube just rounded off the nut. It was being replaced, so I snapped the tube at the fitting and took it off with the hose. That's the first pile of stuff on the table with its replacements.

I snaked the big tube in and assembled everything loosely other than I did bolt the slave cylinder on hard. Then, I went into the cab, removed the lower trim, dropped the fuse box, unplugged harnesses and got the clutch pedal assembly out. Replaced the other gravity feed hose, and the inside the cab line. Mounted the new master cylinder, adjusted the push rod to be right for length, greased the pedal pocket and the hinge points, put on a new pad and checked that the start safety switch was working well electrically as well as the clutch cruise control cut off switch. I lost cruise control function years ago (I did what amounted to an after the fact factory install) and I'd like it back, but the problem is not this switch. That's the second pile of parts and the assembled pedal assembly.

Hung the pedal assembly, connected harnesses and lines. Went and tightened all connections. Rigged a hand vacuum pump to the bleeder and filled the combination brake/clutch reservoir big full. Pulled a lot through, I really need to do a brake job for getting cleaner fluid. I checked function, had clutch. Bled more. Clutch felt good. Problem was, when I let the clutch out, I could put it in all gears (meaning it felt like clutch stuck in). I videoed the cylinder pushing and retracting and it works, I think the car has so many miles that it will stay lined up if you shift into it, put it in neutral and let go of clutch with engine off. I fired the engine and I have correct clutch function and noise and behavior. I will bleed a little more tomorrow and test drive.

Ordered a pizza and put the cab back together while I waited.

Old September 2nd, 2024 | 06:55 AM

John - Wow, that looks like quite the task/process with plenty of parts to keep track of! Good luck with the test drive today. I hope you nailed it!
Old September 2nd, 2024 | 11:39 AM

Bled it a little more and once I remembered to barely crack it, it stopped sucking bubbles in. Checked level, went for test drive. All is fine, and it is set up to Toyota specs in terms of clutch rod free play and pedal free play. It sure does engage way out, I had forgotten about that.
Old September 2nd, 2024 | 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Bled it a little more and once I remembered to barely crack it, it stopped sucking bubbles in. Checked level, went for test drive. All is fine, and it is set up to Toyota specs in terms of clutch rod free play and pedal free play. It sure does engage way out, I had forgotten about that.
Nice job! 👍
Old September 2nd, 2024 | 01:00 PM

Hey Chris Thanks for posting the pictures from the show. Some pretty weather for a day out with the 67 good deal I bet it feels nice to have the drive train sorted.

Baking question.... Any tips for cooking my Marie Callender's Razzlelberry Pie later tonight. I found some Kemps Caribou Java Chunck to enjoy along side. I have not made or had any of this before today so I am treading new waters

Doing 4Tbl spoon butter coated seasoned with - 4tsp salt -2Tbl ground black pepper corn- outer coating on said roast

4lb Rib roast, stood 4hr salted in fridge uncovered, standing til rm temp for 2hr or 115F internal ...4-4-2-Roast, Yellow Golds, and Roasted Mushrooms for the side.

Old September 2nd, 2024 | 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Hey Chris Thanks for posting the pictures from the show. Some pretty weather for a day out with the 67 good deal I bet it feels nice to have the drive train sorted.

Baking question.... Any tips for cooking my Marie Callender's Razzlelberry Pie later tonight. I found some Kemps Caribou Java Chunck to enjoy along side. I have not made or had any of this before today so I am treading new waters

Doing 4Tbl spoon butter coated seasoned with - 4tsp salt -2Tbl ground black pepper corn- outer coating on said roast

4lb Rib roast, stood 4hr salted in fridge uncovered, standing til rm temp for 2hr or 115F internal ...4-4-2-Roast, Yellow Golds, and Roasted Mushrooms for the side.
Keith - Yes it was a great day to be out with the car again and to have it running so well, thanks. The Marie Callender's Razzleberry Pies are my favorite store bought pie, I just love em. I've probably baked 30 of them over the years. Just follow the directions on the box,, I've never had one fail. The crust outer edge can start to get a little brown, but that doesn't bother me. If you're concerned about that, just cover the edge with aluminum foil to start and take it off for the final 15 or 20-minutes. Man are you eating like a King tonight, I want to come to your house! 👍
Old September 2nd, 2024 | 02:35 PM

Yes we bust it all year this our work'n man's day of celebration .... lett'r buck

To all the work'n men and women past present and future do what ya gotta do....

Old September 2nd, 2024 | 02:52 PM

Yes we bust it all year this our work'n man's day of celebration .... lett'r buck

To all the work'n men and women past present and future do what ya gotta do....
Good for you. Can't beat ole Johnny for being able to get to the heart of it!
Old September 2nd, 2024 | 03:03 PM

I'll take your advise with the rim crust tinfoil method makes sense... thanks Chris

Yes Johhny Cash is a common man's man. Look up Tricky Dick and The Man in Black sometime if you get a chance
Old September 2nd, 2024 | 04:03 PM

I'll take your advise with the rim crust tinfoil method makes sense... thanks Chris

Yes Johhny Cash is a common man's man. Look up Tricky Dick and The Man in Black sometime if you get a chance
Keith - I looked it up. I'm gonna have to watch it. I think it might be on Netflix right now but I haven't checked yet. I'll find it someplace. Another Country Music legend that's a real straight shooter is Merle Haggard, I'm a big Merle fan.
Old September 2nd, 2024 | 05:00 PM

Got a Legitimate Rant!
Got notice that my Auto Ins. is going to automaically renew in a month. Got on my online account to check it out. Neither one of us has had any tickets, accidents, or claims, yet the premium is going up $100 for 6-month renewal period, WTF. Automically renew, I think not! As much as I hate it, it's time to start beating the bushes. Insurance, what a F'ing Racket!
Old September 2nd, 2024 | 05:23 PM

Yup
Legalized extortion
The term extortion is often used metaphorically to refer to usury or to price-gouging, though neither is legally considered extortion. It is also often used loosely to refer to everyday situations where one person feels indebted against their will, to another, in order to receive an essential service or avoid legal consequences. Neither extortion nor blackmail requires a threat of a criminal act, such as violence, merely a threat used to elicit actions, money, or property from the object of the extortion. Such threats include the filing of reports (true or not) of criminal behavior to the police, revelation of damaging facts (such as pictures of the object of the extortion in a compromising position), etc.[1]
Old September 2nd, 2024 | 08:28 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little while ago. We were on the road a little more than 14 hours. One hour was allegedly the extra hour taking 74 to Indy. At least another hour was the culmination of us stopping 6 times. Eh, we weren't in a hurry and I wanted to make sure Mom could get out and stretch her legs more often than the trip up. Beautiful day and an easy drive. Glad I'm home.

Chris don't get me started on insurance. I read once where the insurance companies would raise your rates if you've been with them so many years, because they figured you wouldn't change and they'd get extra money. Shitty. I've noticed my premiums haven't gone up much the past few years when I started insuring a couple vehicles with Hagerty. Now that my State Farm guy has retired I have no real reason to stay with them, I'm going to be looking around more and more as well.

While I was gone I got my tax bills. I get three of them. One I pay myself, because I own the property outright. It was 300 when I first bought the -vacant- property of which half is unusable. Last year it was 600. I can't wait to see what it is this year. My neighbor is trying to sell his house for 444K and now his property is listed as worth that much. That sprung my property value to well over 300 so my taxes are going to reflect that I'm sure.

Keith that's a chunk o'meat there. Put it on a spit and roast it over an open flame. Like a cowboy.

Well I'm beat. Time to hit the sack. Tiger isn't here, Mom won't be in the room snoring, I might actually sleep good. I've got some question for Jamesbo but that will wait until morning. Good night everyone.

Old September 2nd, 2024 | 08:35 PM
Always room for one more

I didn't want to edit my above post and it sounded like my property tax for my house is 600. It ain't. Property tax for my house is 4000, the tax for my 2.14 acre shop is 600. My homestead exemption is on the other house still, and its taxes are a paltry 2500. This county needs to BLOW ME a kiss.

By the way Chris you've inspired me. I was talking with my aunt about my Grandpa's 57 Chevy. Mom learned to drive in it and my aunt said she did, too. So I was thinking about how much I wanted to get my car going once and for all, and one of the things I'm gonna do is have the rear end rebuilt. I'm quite certain it's never been done, and at 67 years old I don't want to be out on the expressway going to work or whatever and have it start smoking like yours. So thanks, I try to learn from others' misfortune.

Okay bed.

Old September 2nd, 2024 | 09:26 PM

Hi everyone.

Got home a little while ago. We were on the road a little more than 14 hours. One hour was allegedly the extra hour taking 74 to Indy. At least another hour was the culmination of us stopping 6 times. Eh, we weren't in a hurry and I wanted to make sure Mom could get out and stretch her legs more often than the trip up. Beautiful day and an easy drive. Glad I'm home.
Mike - Glad you got home safely. 14-hours on the road is a long day any way you cut it! I guess I missed this part, but that '57 Chevy 4-door of your's was your Grandpa's? That's really cool! Funny, I don't remember any of my grandparent's cars on my Dad's side, but I remember my grandparent's cars on my Mom's side. They always had one Ford 3/4-ton 4x4 truck, and one large Ford 4-door sedan, either a Galaxy 500 or a Crown Victoria.
Old September 3rd, 2024 | 06:43 AM

That's a chunk of beef right there. Glad Mike and mom are home.

After test driving the fixed clutch, I started on carpentry. Applying the cardboard template gives a hole pattern and a cut outline. I need to get another saw blade for the saw, the butcher block is bucking some. The hard part is the feet boards, you can see them stacked in the upside down position. Using those Forster bits is hard, but, fortunately, it's just the feet. A normal shelf is just spade bit holes. I hope to have the carpentry done tonight.

Old September 3rd, 2024 | 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Koda

Looking good John, nice work! 👍
Old September 3rd, 2024 | 08:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Wow did I sleep good. Slept in, lollygagged around, now it's time to go to Mom's so we can get to Walmart. It shouldn't be so filled with dunces since it's not Sunday.

So, questions for Jamesbo. First, we went to see my grandparents. They are buried in a cemetery that all the headstones are flush. I guess that makes mowing easier. The stone is a marble base with a bronze plate with all the information. I was aghast to see the grass had grown in so far that you could hardly see the stone. I got down and cleaned it all up, pulling the grass so the whole thing is exposed. Is it unreasonable to think the cemetery should be doing this? I understand it would take years to make the rounds one time with thousands of graves, but what exactly is "Perpetual Care" supposed to cover?

Second, we went to see Mom's grandparents. Her aunt and uncle are right next to them. These are thick marble base with the stand up marble head stone on top. I happened to be leaning on the stone and it almost fell over. The stone with the information is not attached to the base. Is this normal? If it isn't who is responsible for maintenance of the head stone? In fact another stone a few feet away looked like the base had heaved over and the top fallen off, and then someone leaned the top against the base on the ground. Do I need to be calling these places?

Overcast today, haven't heard a forecast but it sure looks like rain. We haven't had rain in weeks. We could probably use it but I'm never a fan. Wait, I wish for rain on Halloween.

Okay off I go. Hope everyone has a good day.