The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2024, 10:10 AM
Always room for one more

Oh cool. So whose fault was it? My guess is either the RJ for not clearing the taxiway fast enough, or the controller who put the two planes too close together. One could argue the mainline jet should know where his wingtips are, that sometimes is tough to do. And once the RJ gets so far past the cockpit of the mainline jet he drops out of sight. It's up to the ground controller to make sure everything is separated.

And Norm, I hate to be this pedantic, no I don't, the name of the company is three words. Delta Air Lines. Not to be confused with DAT. Delta Air Transport, a now defunct Belgian feeder airline.

The afternoon seems to have ground to a halt. I walked down to the roll up door and it's beautiful out.

Old September 10th, 2024, 10:53 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Sorry for having been so reckless. I meant no disrespect to your Mother Ship.
Old September 10th, 2024, 01:44 PM

Got the convertible boot yesterday. Very nice. Better padding than the one that I had, thick fabric, rather than exposed foam. I didn't want to load the new exhaust into the Cutlass in order to bring it with me for tomorrows install, so I took my buddy's advice, and loaded it into the Hyundai, and droped it off earlier today. Still debating whether to go to Purestock, or a local show, 20 miles away on Saturday.
Old September 10th, 2024, 02:52 PM
Always room for one more

Norm you'd be surprised at the number of people in the company, including the higher ups, who don't know that. When I first moved here 20+ years ago, I was sitting at my insurance guy's desk and he wrote it as two words. And I told him, you know Delta Air Lines is three words. He gave me a funny look then changed it. And until the office closed last year, he always wrote it as three words, even on other people's stuff. And when I see it at work, I say, who doesn't know what the name of the company is? So, people who don't work for the company no big deal. It's like the people who don't know what the original guy's name was. Hm, talk about pedantic.

Dan I'll bet the new cover looks terrific. A Cutlass especially looks way better with it on than without it. I have a love/hate relationship with the way it tucks in the back. I like the no snaps look, but those plastic tabs don't always behave and it can be a pain to get them under the trim and make them stay.

We finished up work with about 140 wheels. The lead isn't going to be there tomorrow. Boy I want his schedule. He's off more than he's there.

Cut down some weird "trees" in front of Mom's house. I think they are called Mimosa, they look like ferns with thick trunks. I let them get way out of hand, so the chainsaw made short order of them. The front of the house looks so different now, I told Mom the air conditioner was going to work harder now.
Old September 10th, 2024, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I have a love/hate relationship with the way it tucks in the back. I like the no snaps look, but those plastic tabs don't always behave and it can be a pain to get them under the trim and make them stay.
I never had an issue with the rear plastic tabs staying in place. Now the side snaps, those are another story. They don't seem to like high-speed driving and occasionally unsnap themselves and let the cover end flap around. That gets really annoying when the dashed lines in the road start looking like solid lines and there's that flapping noise right behind you.
Old September 10th, 2024, 04:48 PM

Dan I'm getting Smiles with your miles. So happy for you finding, tweeking, play'n like it should be with your new car.

Any time is a good time. You will find a reason and the way the wind blows you for the weekend. Both and or either will be great. Happy for you!

Snap some more pictures of the new cover etc when it works out

Keith
Old September 10th, 2024, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Got the convertible boot yesterday. Very nice. Better padding than the one that I had, thick fabric, rather than exposed foam. I didn't want to load the new exhaust into the Cutlass in order to bring it with me for tomorrows install, so I took my buddy's advice, and loaded it into the Hyundai, and droped it off earlier today. Still debating whether to go to Purestock, or a local show, 20 miles away on Saturday.
Dan - Glad the new boot turned out to be of high quality, you don't always get that with replacement parts these days! Good luck deciding between Purestock and the local Show, it's good to have choices. Pretty much only one game in town for me on Saturday, a smaller local show about 15-miles away. I won a 3rd in my class there 3-years ago, nothing since. But since it's the only thing close, I'll probably go.
Old September 10th, 2024, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Dan I'm getting Smiles with your miles. So happy for you finding, tweeking, play'n like it should be with your new car.
x2! 👍
Old September 10th, 2024, 06:01 PM
Running On Empty

I will not be commenting on what's occurring in Pennsylvania....
Old September 11th, 2024, 02:35 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Overtime this morning! Wow a whole two hours. Well, it's a good start back to normal. We're supposed to have 25 wheels done by 6. That's a little optimistic, so we'll see what happens when we don't get it. At 530 I have 9, maybe the others will be similar.

So does anyone have any experience with that colored wax that used to be all the rage? The Fiat is a short timer and it has several cat looking scratches on it. I thought if that colored stuff actually worked I'd give the car a once over with it and see if I could fill some of the scratches in. I don't know if you know how much I loathe Carmax, but if I could unload the car there I'd do it, just for simplicity. I hate advertising a car and then having to talk to people.

Rain tonight maybe. I'm gonna try to do some outside stuff this afternoon while the laundry is going, then it can rain and I won't have a fit. Who knows. We haven't had rain in weeks but as soon as it starts it will feel like it's been raining for years.

Okay have a good Hump Day everyone.

Old September 11th, 2024, 04:37 AM
Running On Empty

So does anyone have any experience with that colored wax that used to be all the rage?
Bootywax Purple Glaze.

I use two Bootywax products: (1) A light polishing compound which is white; and, (2) Purple Glaze finishing wax/glaze. Love both products.

Old September 11th, 2024, 08:29 AM

So does anyone have any experience with that colored wax that used to be all the rage? The Fiat is a short timer and it has several cat looking scratches on it. I thought if that colored stuff actually worked I'd give the car a once over with it and see if I could fill some of the scratches in.
Mike - One of my motorcycles is black, and it had some fine visible swirls on the lid of one of the acrylic/plastic luggage bags. I tried some Turtle Wax Color Magic (pic) in black and it made the swirls 90% better. Please keep in mind the swirls were very fine to begin with, but the product did make them much less visible. Another thing to keep in mind is that the product does wear off. Every time I detail that bike I retreat that lid with the Color Magic. It's not the be all, end all, but it helps in my case.

Old September 11th, 2024, 08:49 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks guys. These scratches are a result of local vermin that try to jump up on the top of the car from the door. These local vermin are going to find themselves relocated and their owners saddened by their loss. That is if they survive long enough. I'm long tired of this ****.

Norm did you start using Bootywax because you heard it was an excellent product or because it was called booty wax? Curious that they have a biblical verse on the label.

It's cloudy out but I don't think it's going to rain. Just got back from lunch. The Korean place I go to that was bought by Mexicans I'm afraid is having a realignment. They said they were going to keep the Korean fare but every so often an item will drop off the menu. Today I see that the Korean menu is down on the floor and a new Mexican menu is up on the wall. Once my shrimp-fried rice is gone then that's it for me.

Old September 11th, 2024, 01:12 PM

Hi guys, hope everyone is having a good day!

Grandson Keegan who's six, started Kindergarten this year. His school had a Grandparent's Day today. First we all shared a snack in the Cafeteria. Then we took the kids to the Library where they had a Book Fair and Keegan got to pick out 5 books of his choosing. Then he took us to his classroom and showed us his desk and some of his projects he has completed so far. I think he had a great time, I know we did!

Old September 11th, 2024, 01:59 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Because it was an excellent product.
Old September 11th, 2024, 02:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Grandson Keegan who's six, started Kindergarten this year. His school had a Grandparent's Day today. First we all shared a snack in the Cafeteria. Then we took the kids to the Library where they had a Book Fair and Keegan got to pick out 5 books of his choosing. Then he took us to his classroom and showed us his desk and some of his projects he has completed so far. I think he had a great time, I know we did!
Coolsville, man.
Old September 11th, 2024, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Coolsville, man.
Thanks Norm!
Old September 11th, 2024, 05:45 PM

Chris, So What were his 5 books
Old September 11th, 2024, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, So What were his 5 books
He's all boy. He absolutely loves all things Spider Man and he got 3 different Spider Man stories. Then he also got Paw Patrol and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle books.
Old September 11th, 2024, 07:36 PM

It was only 105 degrees when I got home this afternoon so I was able to go out back and throw ball with the boy dog for a while. Man it’s been a long time since we were able to do that.
Old September 12th, 2024, 04:18 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
It was only 105 degrees...
Good to hear there's some relief....
Old September 12th, 2024, 05:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Another early morning. I can't seem to get with it. Wheels are steady so having something to do helps.

Rain and cool this morning. Need to take Mom to the doctor this afternoon. So that means the rest of the doctors are coming up. And of course her appointment is at 3. I said hope they don't mind waiting. Then I get an ear full about how she can't be late blah blah blah I said hey, you know I don't even get home until 3. Let me make the appointment. The office is open until 5, they damn sure can see her a little later than 3.

If I think real hard I can remember my first day of kindergarten. I don't remember a lot of it, but I do remember walking in the door and playing. The teacher's daughter was there and she had put paper and crayons at all the chairs, and I remember thinking another class must have already been here. My kindergarten teacher lived a block away from us. In fact most of my teachers lived in my neighborhood. Chris why didn't he start K at 5?

Breaktime. I think I'll sit back and have a snooze. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old September 12th, 2024, 06:08 AM

Good morning everyone.

Chris why didn't he start K at 5?
Mike - It had to do with how his Birthday fell. He just turned 6 a week ago, a week or two after school started.
Old September 12th, 2024, 06:47 AM
Running On Empty

My birthday is September 30. I started Kindergarten at age four. I dealt w/ starting school (K through 12) each year all my life. There are no advantages to starting early.
Old September 12th, 2024, 06:49 AM

Here's the ground control traffic of the mentioned incident.

The damage looks significant, but airplanes are expensive, would something like this be repaired and put back in service?

Last edited by mattking; September 12th, 2024 at 06:55 AM.
Old September 12th, 2024, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
My birthday is September 30. I started Kindergarten at age four. I dealt w/ starting school (K through 12) each year all my life. There are no advantages to starting early.
My b-day is Nov. 20. I started at 4 also, my Mom convinced the School to let me start early telling them I could already read, I think because she just wanted to go back to work. I couldn't really read, I just had every book I had memorized. I was always the youngest person in my Class, and you're absolutely correct, there are no advantages to starting early!
Old September 12th, 2024, 07:14 AM
Always room for one more

Got it Chris. This way he'll be 18 before he graduates and can check himself out of school. My birthday is in June so I started school at 5, and graduated at 17, my birthday being a week later.

Matt the short answer is yes that can be repaired and put back in service. Whether or not it will be depends mainly on the age of the plane. If it's getting towards the end of its useful life then probably not. I'll listen to the audio at lunch. To paraphrase Smokey and the Bandit, hey Daddy, the tail came off!

Old September 12th, 2024, 11:47 AM

Hi guys,

Got a treat for you. Wife and I just got back from from seeing the Big Boy 4014 locomotive at it's Photo Stop in DeSoto, MO. We were both really, really glad we went, just an incredible machine. What a beast! You can see the pics here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...3/#post1592002
Old September 12th, 2024, 12:09 PM

Tres cool tanks for posting
Old September 12th, 2024, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Tres cool tanks for posting
Glad you enjoyed the pics Jim, it was incredibly impressive!
Old September 12th, 2024, 04:26 PM

[QUOTE=slantflat;1591955]Good morning everyone.

If I think real hard I can remember my first day of kindergarten. I don't remember a lot of it, but I do remember....

This might be fun. I do remember Jerry and I walked to school together kindergarten...
The thing I remember about Jerry that is still funny as **** is when MS Putnam would play us a tune on the piano Jerry would slide under her piano bench far enough... look up... just to make sure she was "in tune" Funny stuff that sticks.
From what I remember
Real quick not from Kindegarten ....we fished down at the widespread and MaryLou, Jerry's mom, would give us a ride there in the Granada... We were at the stop light waiting and he put a nightcrawler in his mouth, looked at the lady next to us in the right lane and sucked it like a spaghetti noodle... Back when fun could be fun
Old September 12th, 2024, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Real quick not from Kindegarten ....we fished down at the widespread and MaryLou, Jerry's mom, would give us a ride there in the Granada... We were at the stop light waiting and he put a nightcrawler in his mouth, looked at the lady next to us in the right lane and sucked it like a spaghetti noodle... Back when fun could be fun
Keith - LMAO 🤣 There really were Good Old Days!!!!
Old September 12th, 2024, 05:18 PM

Chris, the Big Boy is a cool piece of machinery. Started kindergarten when I was four (Nov. 5th), I had a yellow rug to nap on. My teachers name was Miss Mayrose. My mom told me years later, that she asked me how my first day went. I replied "fine, but the teacher is really old". My mom said she was 22 years old!
Old September 12th, 2024, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, the Big Boy is a cool piece of machinery. Started kindergarten when I was four (Nov. 5th), I had a yellow rug to nap on. My teachers name was Miss Mayrose. My mom told me years later, that she asked me how my first day went. I replied "fine, but the teacher is really old". My mom said she was 22 years old!
Dan - What in the hell are the odds that you, Norm, and I all started Kindergarten when we were 4??? Wow!
Old September 12th, 2024, 05:57 PM
Running On Empty

I sat in the second row in kindergarten. That was my first indication girls were different than boys. This girl in kindergarten was helping the teacher clean desks & stuff in our classroom. When she went to put the spray bottle & rags away she bent over to open the cabinet door just above the floor and I was staring at the full Bajingo - she had on no panties.
Old September 12th, 2024, 06:01 PM
Running On Empty

Ha! I recalled my Mom called my Kindergarten teacher "Ms. So & So". Well, ***** I thought that was her real name. How was I to know what she meant was she couldn't recall her name and said "Ms. So & So". Well, Ms. So & So, came to my house one day for lunch and I called her Ms. So & So. They both fell over laughing and I was like "What's up w/ the two of you"?
Old September 13th, 2024, 02:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Bad news on the way into work. Got about half way and the pickup went into limp mode. Got a check engine light and reduced power message. Decided I best turn around and get home, at least as close as I could. Man I tell you, I could get up to about 40 on level ground. That's the kind of **** that gets you killed. Save the engine but get run over. Got the Fiat and came in. Everyone makes such a big deal about putting down the wrong time when you sign in for overtime, so I logged the exact minute I hit the front gate. The lead doesn't particularly care for me so he'll probably round up to the next week.

My kindergarten teacher's name was Mrs. Larson. Nice, nice lady. She had this simple way of talking to us. She didn't talk to us like we were children, but because we were children. She talked to the adults the same way. I absolutely adored her. One day years after high school, I was at the drug store dropping off some film to be developed. Remember when we had to do that? Mrs. Larson was doing the same. I didn't say anything to her because I didn't think she'd remember me after 20+ years. She didn't even look up, just filling out her folder, and when she was finished said, Is that Michael? in her typical fashion. I said yes Mrs. Larson, it's nice to see you. I about melted. Wonderful woman. She died a few years ago, the world is a lesser place.

Chris those are awesome pictures. Maybe some day they will tour this far east. The Forney museum in Colorado has 4005 as a static display. I read that when a Big Boy needed to be moved after they were all withdrawn for service, they would sever the arms that connected the drive wheels to the cylinders. 4005's arms are cut in such a way. My suggestion is that anyone that has the opportunity to see a Big Boy, running or not, take that opportunity.

So! Chores after work, and I need to figure out this pickup. We're working tomorrow, then more chores. I need to get ready for company next weekend. I should take next week off. Eh, what would that do. Awful house every day and talking with my neighbors at the airport.

Have a good Friday everyone.

Old September 13th, 2024, 06:45 AM

Good morning everyone.

Bad news on the way into work. Got about half way and the pickup went into limp mode. Got a check engine light and reduced power message.
Mike - Sorry to hear about the truck trouble, but glad you got it home OK. I hope it isn't too expensive to get fixed.

Thanks for the compliments on the Big Boy pics. Also want to thank you for your original post about it letting us know it was currently out on Tour. Although there was quite a bit of local coverage when it got closer to us, I might not have researched it as much as I did without your original heads-up, so Thanks!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 13th, 2024 at 06:47 AM.
Old September 13th, 2024, 07:16 AM
Always room for one more

Chris I'm glad you enjoyed going to see the Big Boy. There are just some things people need to see, even if they have little interest. The Big Boy is one, a 747 is another. I'm going to watch Jaunty's video at lunch.

Currently our computer system is inop. We can only get so far in signing off the cards and then it goes blank. The worker bees are still building, so when the computers start to work we'll have lots of cards to finish.

I think the craigslist phenomenon has moved to marketplace. I emailed this guy selling an Impala SS. He says what's a good number to call you at. I gave him my number and said, best to get me after 3 as it's hard to talk when I'm at work. Never hear from him. So I emailed him again, when's a good time to come see the car? Crickets. The message thing shows he's seen the message. I don't get it. The car still shows for sale, does he not want to sell it? I have a theory. Anyway I get that a lot from craigslist. I'm not going to beg someone to buy their car. Actually there's a Stepvan in North Carolina I'd like to go look at, she's been good about getting back to me.

Getting close to lunch. Good thing, I'm hungry. I ate all my strawberry Starbursts. Geez those are kryptonite.

Old September 13th, 2024, 11:43 AM

The hurricane made me do it. Bananas foster