The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2024, 04:43 PM
Running On Empty

One of the first series of reactions learned in chemistry lab is the production of aldehydes - specifically formaldehyde. Oddly, by the time you get into biochemistry you learn every single living organism on the planet produces formaldehyde. It was the discovery of formaldehyde (late 1800s) which led to the development of formalin as a preservative for early crude modern day embalming practices.
Old March 21st, 2024, 04:46 PM

Norm, I really don't know, IMHO It unnecessary to preserve something that gone and will soon be buried and never seen again. Not to mention the waste of $$ and what it does to the environment. The reality is it's none of my business what people choose. We just offer a different option
Old March 21st, 2024, 04:53 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, I really don't know, IMHO It unnecessary to preserve something that gone and will soon be buried and never seen again. Not to mention the waste of $$ and what it does to the environment. The reality is it's none of my business what people choose. We just offer a different option
Which is exactly my point regarding mummies, embalming & pyramids. What's the point? I personally find zero benefit to cemeteries, burials & the like. I'm far from a pure pragmatic, but honestly, the only singular benefit is the human notion of reverence for the dead. But, I'll stop there as this isn't the appropriate forum to be discussing reverence for the dead; yet, it's unfounded/unwarranted, IMO. Turn that large slab of meat into humus ASAP is my stance.
Old March 21st, 2024, 05:06 PM

MY experience is that regardless of what happens too a body, having a name [marker ] at a certain place remembered is much more important to families. There is a place where moms/dad/s name will be forever in stone
Old March 21st, 2024, 05:08 PM
Running On Empty

I get it. I get it 100%.
Old March 21st, 2024, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Our Friday forecast is 84 degrees.

I miss winter already.
I feel for you Kenneth, The " Convection Oven" Devils Breath, season has to be stressful. Hopefully you can load up the pup in the Jeep and get to some higher altitude for some relief when it gets too much....

4 to 8" after said and done predicted for the white stuff starting here in Wisco after midnite tonite. Best thing about this one is the slow soak melt to the water table and short lived presence of the devils dandruff this time of year.

Old March 21st, 2024, 07:33 PM
Running On Empty

My brothers are going to get -4”-5” snow North of Marinette tonight.
Old March 21st, 2024, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Since I know Norm is going to ax. Sections 1&2 the lots are 10x10
The engineer in me wonders about the Z-axis dimension. You could have a tiered system with vertical stacking to increase the number of plots per acre.
Old March 21st, 2024, 08:20 PM

Jim, thanks for the explanation. Even if it isn't marked, it is tracked.

Norm, in Europe, catacombs I believe are for more efficient storage. One carries a body down to a pedestal, and puts it on it. It rots. You don't got down there. Next person dies, the priest or whoever goes down there, shoves the bones off the backside, and then they carry the new guy down there. Sometimes, they collect the bone pile in back and make walls out of it.

Kenneth, they do double stack in Arlington for you and your spouse. Whoever dies first is on the bottom. In most cases, one hopes she liked doing it on top because that's where she'll be.
Old March 21st, 2024, 08:22 PM

Yeah!! The military knows how to take care of their troops.

Last edited by Fun71; March 21st, 2024 at 08:24 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 02:47 AM

heading norte enjoy the weekend Olds friends
Old March 22nd, 2024, 05:18 AM
Running On Empty

Going to try to get another morning at the golf range before the rain settles in.
Jim - Looks like you'll start out wet this afternoon, as well then dry out late. Ours is expected to remain throughout tonight/tomorrow.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 06:05 AM

that's ok, i can cook while i watch $hit floating around in the yard.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 09:59 AM

My brothers are going to get -4”-5” snow North of Marinette tonight.
Not too bad. The roads around here are slick, but not really an issue. Montana and the Dakota's were supposed to really get dumped on, as will the N.E. U.S. I'll be off work for two weeks, as plantar facitis won't give me a break, so I'll be wearing a boot to see if that will cure it. Been having a lot of knee and hip pain, I would guess from altering my step due to the discomfort in my foot. can't wear one of those boots to work as there is no safety toe, or metatarsul guard. Oddly enough, if i could show that it was a work related injury, they would have allowed me to wear it, and then stick me in the core room out of the way for two weeks. They don't like to have their workman's compensation rates go up, so in that case they try to keep you employed in house. Thawing out a NY strip steak for dinner. Not sure what to have as a side.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 11:44 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
...plantar facitis won't give me a break...
Developed an issue w/ plantar faciitis a couple years ago. I'm sure many people develop symptoms/pain from a variety of reasons. I'll only note what made mine go away.

(1) Footwear - I have a wide variety of shoes/boots, etc. Yet, the one pair I was wearing most frequently (playing golf) walking 6.5 miles - 7.0 miles three to four times/week felt good wearing the shoe, but it was causing an issue by being too tight (not wide enough) across the widest part of my feet (across the ***** of my foot). Read this was a common plantar faciitis issue w/ golfers wearing shoes which are too tight. I changed my footwear to a much wider shoe platform;
(2) Shoe lacing. I've always had a tendency to tightly tie my shoes. Apparently this exacerbates the issue. I stopped tying them so damn tight and kept them far more loose; and,
(3) Stopped wearing flip-flops around the yard and house - instead, opting to go barefoot or wear moccasins.

It took about three weeks for the plantar faciitis to go away. It hasn't returned. Good Luck.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 12:17 PM
Running On Empty

When leaving grocery store I noticed front LH tire appeared low on truck. Pulled into man-cave, it had ~15 psi - I normally run 45 psi. Filled to 45 psi which seemed to take longer than normal. Checked front RH side & it was fine @ 45 psi. Turned off air compressor, started exiting man-cave & thought I'd better look at the treads (both front tires are brand new). Found two bright common nails completely embedded in the front LH tire ~2" from each other. I should have some tire plugs (& plug tools) in the truck tool box &/or the man-cave somewhere. Give me something to do to work off these two delicious Swiss cheese + Mushroom burgers I just created and snarfed down.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

My shoulders will be sore tomorrow. After two hours on the driving range this morning then reaming, cleaning & plugging two nail holes in these mammoth thick truck tires my shoulders have had a good workout. It took me two attempts for each hole before a plug correctly & completely went through the tire tread. Ugh.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
My shoulders will be sore tomorrow. After two hours on the driving range this morning then reaming, cleaning & plugging two nail holes in these mammoth thick truck tires my shoulders have had a good workout. It took me two attempts for each hole before a plug correctly & completely went through the tire tread. Ugh.
Sorry about the nails in the tire, that sucks! Hope you're not, but yes, you'll probably be a little sore in the morning after all that!

Old March 22nd, 2024, 05:17 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Started out nice today but then rain. Don't know what it's going to do tomorrow, one place says rain one place doesn't.

Went floor shopping with Mom today. I had no idea flooring was that expensive. What we really needed to do was find a color she liked. I could sit in the living room and ask, do you want something light, or dark, or honey, or red? And I get the same answer. I don't know. So today we went and saw what each flavor looked like, and came up with a color we both liked that will go well with the color I've chosen. I'm gonna call my brother this weekend and get some advice as to what extras to get(like underlayment, special tools, etc) because he does floors for a living. Not sure he'd want to come down here from Illinois to put in my floor.

I drove my white Suburban to work many years ago and it was like the tires were screw magnets. I was all the time getting screws in them, and rivets. I was poor then and bought the cheepest tires I could, and they had tons of plugs in them. Heck those tires are going on 30 years old. They still hold air, somewhat, but I'd never drive on them.

This is actually my last night of vacation. I'm off Saturday and Sunday of course then back to work Monday. I think that's going to be it for two weeks off a month. But I could get used to it.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old March 22nd, 2024, 05:38 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - For all you wrote about flooring, you never said what type flooring you're looking into - wood, vinyl, ceramic tile, laminate, linoleum, stone, textile?
Old March 22nd, 2024, 05:43 PM

Jim, very interesting about your cemetary ( locations, markings, etc). Also real interesting discussion about bodies,etc. Not exactly what I was expecting from a Olds site, but It peaked my interest. We got about 6 " snow today, meh I don't care.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 05:57 PM
Always room for one more

Greg I'm twitching. I can remember plenty of times in April, even May, that we got snow. And mild to cool temps well into May. One thing though, when cool weather comes late in the spring it doesn't last long.

Norm I'm looking for flooring for the living room in Mom's house. My first choice is always real hardwood flooring. That stuff is about 6 bucks a square foot. I have about 720sq ft to cover. I'm going to end up with either laminate or LVT. I don't like either one but I'm trying to balance what's nice and what I can afford. I'd actually like to put carpet back in. Mom had laminate in her house in Florida and loved it. So that helps. After all I want her to like what I'm putting down.

Okay time for Beverly Hillbillies. Tonight Granny gets into a fight with a kangaroo. She thinks it's a jackrabbit.

Old March 22nd, 2024, 06:17 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Good luck. You can find some very good bargains on bundles/pallets of 3/4" (thick) x 5 1/8" (wide) Roasted Pine solid hardwood flooring ~$5/sq ft. Hey, tough decision(s) I know. Looking forward to how this progresses. Good luck.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 10:39 AM

Norm, I already wear wider shoes, especially my work boots, due to having two screws put in my ankle back in 2015. Regular width 6" boots rubbed right where the screws are located, as one sticks out a bit. I currently have inserts for those boots and another that I swap between my casual wear shoes.generally I don't go tight with my laces, though the foot doc likes to chinch them up. My guess is standing on my feet at work all day contributes to the problem at my age. Mike, I have friends who recently put in the vinyl wood plank style of flooring, and I was impressed with the quality and just how natural it looked. Norm, a computer question for ya. I had my computer rebuilt a year ago, with a new hard drive and better capabilites. Any time that I go to a business site, like Home Depot, it shows my location to be in the Detroit, S.E. Michigan area, 200 miles away until I choose my store preference. Why is this? I made a purchase on Ebay yesterday, the first time in a few years, and they sent me a security alert showing that the order was placed in Detroit. The purchase itself had no issues. Any input would be appriciated. Off to see if i can get some Bald eagle pics. There were a sh!tload of them hanging around an area of Mona Lake, about three miles from me yesterday. Of course no camera then.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 10:56 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Highly dependent on your Browser settings. Essentially a web Geolocation API call implemented by virtually all Browsers. There exists a very minor dependency on the operating system you're using (Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.) but for the most part the Geolocation API is a call made w/in your Browser. For the most part, these Geolocation API calls are dependent on your IP address. IP addresses are handed out via the many ISP (Internet Service Providers) around the world. Sometimes the block of IP addresses may be part of a large metropolitan area (e.d. Detroit, Chicago, LA, ATL, etc.) and the actual IP address exists w/in this large block of IP addresses instead of a Geolocation. Without burdening you further, here's a list of the major Browsers demonstrating how to enable Geolocation API services. See if this resolves your issue by becoming more precise. Some of these things work by combining both your IP address and your ZIP CODE; but, unless its enabled it often times isn't very precise. Sometimes in the past when you get a Browser update, this feature may have been disabled when you got a Browser update because of the legal ramifications/litigation having taken place w/ web privacy/security in recent years and it may have been disabled. I think a lot of companies were turning off the default behavior. Have a look:

Allow or Deny Access to Your Physical Location Settings
Old March 23rd, 2024, 11:08 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Here's the fastest way to see if you're configured in Firefox. I have mine set to "true" (enabled). Anyways, here's how you do it and I'll provide you another URL link for the Source.

Enabling and Disabling Geolocation in Your Browser

Firefox

To disable location sharing in Firefox on desktop, do the following:
  1. In the browser address bar, type About:config
  2. Firefox will show you a Proceed with Caution warning. Click Accept the Risk and Continue.
  3. In the search bar at the top of the screen, type geo.enabled.
  4. One result will appear in the list, geo.enabled. Double click this line so true changes to false.
To disable location sharing in Firefox on Android, follow these steps:
  1. Open the Firefox app and tap the three dots in the lower-right corner.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Site permissions under the Privacy and security section.
  4. Tap Location then select Blocked.
If you have a Samsung Android device, the process will look slightly different. Repeat steps 1 and 2 from the above list to navigate to your Settings. Then, tap Privacy. Under Data Choices, uncheck the box next to Mozilla Location Services.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 11:10 AM

Forgot to take pic plated up ha to eat it while its hot. Fondant taters with London broil

Last edited by Jamesbo; March 23rd, 2024 at 11:14 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 11:23 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Heck of a nice job - perfection.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 11:49 AM

On boots, I like a specific pair of Redwing boots, now discontinued. I am on my last new pair of them. I have acquired a couple "worn a few times and not liked" pairs off ebay. I have a pair of new balance safety toe sneakers as well that are wearing out fast. I typically alternate days. M/W/F and T/R, with the sneakers getting the TR. I put orthotic insoles I have made for me, I have 4 pair, need to get more, in the boots. The redwings will run me about 5 years apiece, so, really 2.5 years of full time wear, working in a factory. I wish they hadn't stopped this model, they fixed the only two things wrong with them by upgrading to D ring lace loops from cloth, and going to Vibram soles. They even free upgraded my first pair to D ring metal loops, I sent them off, they came back in 2 weeks, to and from a redwing store. Redwings are the best for factory work. I do not have an opinion on mud boots. I think Muck is a good brand, from what I have heard.

The three pair I have now should get me to the end of the career, if I don't quit here this summer.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 11:53 AM
Running On Empty

The past 30 years I've bought only one brand of boot - Georgia Boot. I won't even consider trying another brand.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 03:59 PM

Hey guys,

Hope everyone had a great day. Right now I'm just waiting on takeout from the local greasy spoon I love to get burgers from. On my way home from one of Gabe's hockey games. He scored his team's 1st and only goal about 2-minutes into the game. Unfortunately his team lost 4-1. He's playing in a special "offseason" 4 on 4 league to stay in shape until the next regular season starts.

There was supposed to be a cruise-in this evening but it got canceled for some reason, I'm glad I called ahead to see if they were having it. Sunny here, don't know why it was canceled other than it's a little chilly, 50'ish. There's one tomorrow at noon that I'm going to go to from noon to 4. The weather will be about the same.

Hope ya'll have a great evening!
Old March 23rd, 2024, 04:34 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful here. We got to 69 with the sun out and a slight breeze. Rain several days this week.

I love my Redwing boots. I have a couple pair that have been resoled several times. I quit wearing them because the steel toes made them heavy and it was causing my hip some pain. Now I wear Sketchers because I'm out of the habit of wearing work boots. We are supposed to wear them at work but I fly a desk so what's the big deal.

Jamesbo the London Broil looks scrumptious.

The Hillbillies last night wasn't the kangaroo episode. The TV station lied.

Last night to myself. Tomorrow is Walmart and then work. I need to come up with a gig so I can stay home all the time. I rather like it.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old March 23rd, 2024, 04:43 PM

Tanks Mike, I used a very complicated marinade ( zesty Italian dressing)
Old March 23rd, 2024, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Beautiful here. We got to 69 with the sun out and a slight breeze. Rain several days this week.

I love my Redwing boots. I have a couple pair that have been resoled several times. I quit wearing them because the steel toes made them heavy and it was causing my hip some pain. Now I wear Sketchers because I'm out of the habit of wearing work boots. We are supposed to wear them at work but I fly a desk so what's the big deal.

Jamesbo the London Broil looks scrumptious.

The Hillbillies last night wasn't the kangaroo episode. The TV station lied.

Last night to myself. Tomorrow is Walmart and then work. I need to come up with a gig so I can stay home all the time. I rather like it.

Okay have a good evening everyone.
Here ya go Moike

Old March 23rd, 2024, 05:02 PM

Jim the Italian dressing is a dang good marinate for chicken and pork too. Sometime if you want some good baked chicken put some pieces you like in a ziplock with a small bottle of "Open Pit" BBQ sauce for 8-12hrs and bake or grill indirect. I gotta try mak'n them taters that way sometime
Old March 23rd, 2024, 05:14 PM

I'm eating frozen portions of previously made meals for the next couple weeks because I don't have time to cook or clean the kitchen as it is spring cleaning time, and I need to empty the freezer. Today was pot roast for lunch, chicken casserole for dinner, and other stuff tomorrow.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Jim the Italian dressing is a dang good marinate for chicken and pork too. Sometime if you want some good baked chicken put some pieces you like in a ziplock with a small bottle of "Open Pit" BBQ sauce for 8-12hrs and bake or grill indirect. I gotta try mak'n them taters that way sometime
Lately I've been marinating chicken breast in dill pickle juice and rolling it in panko
Old March 23rd, 2024, 05:55 PM

I have heard of the pickle juice marinate. Do you pan cook after panko or bake
Old March 23rd, 2024, 05:57 PM

bake
Old March 23rd, 2024, 06:01 PM

The best way I've found to cook skinless chicken breast is to put a few slits in the top [because modern chicken breast are so thick] and put sum butter in a casserole dish cover and bake turn once They come out very moist