The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2023, 03:06 PM

Good morning/afternoon everyone!

I have a random question: Are there any reliable members in Alabama that would be able to look at a car for sale for me? Thanks!
Old October 19th, 2023, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim - I assume the check is written to BaT?
Nope, Buyer pays a fee to BAT Then the transaction is up to us. BAT does make some suggestions [like don't take Patels credits card ] more common sense suggestions. I would say [so far] I'm reasonably happy with BAT many people were nice with their coments/questions and as usual there are a few keyboard morons that drove me crazy taking pics and never bidding. It remind me of a CO member that used to sell high dollar W parts. Basically he let people up front know If you wanted to collect pic get lost. Did I get max dollar ? NO, did I get a reasonable price ? yes
Old October 19th, 2023, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pitbull2o08
Good morning/afternoon everyone!

I have a random question: Are there any reliable members in Alabama that would be able to look at a car for sale for me? Thanks!
Where in Alabama ?
Old October 19th, 2023, 03:56 PM

Foley AL
Old October 19th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

Foley AL
I'll wait for Jim's response & let Jim address your question in more detail. However, with that said, there is a member who frequents this thread who may know of someone in AL who might be able to assist you.
Old October 19th, 2023, 04:13 PM

Foley AL
Sorry My ex wife and I used to be down your way often [Thank god and greyhound shes gone] Mikes mother used to live in Pensacola but she move up here. Hang in there we ll find ya someone
Old October 19th, 2023, 06:34 PM
Running On Empty

Send a PM to member >>> 66-3X2 442
He resides in Birmingham, AL
Old October 20th, 2023, 02:51 AM

Norm Foley is 4 hours from Birmingham There's gotta be someone closer
Old October 20th, 2023, 06:33 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm Foley is 4 hours from Birmingham There's gotta be someone closer
Possibility 66-3X2 442 knows of someone closer.
Old October 20th, 2023, 09:23 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jamesbo what an exciting climax to the auction! I hope you don't have seller's remorse. If you do, just drive the convertible more.

So my friend Larry was here for a couple days and we were working on the Amphicar, trying to get the engine out. Now, Larry is big into the Amphicar scene and has taken out and put in several engines. We messed with this car and just couldn't get it out. All the bolts are out. All the wires are disconnected. It won't separate from the trans. So we called the main Amphicar guy and he gave us several suggestions that didn't seem appropriate. It's obvious to us that the input shaft is seized in the clutch or the pilot bearing. The guy told us to cut a hole in the bellhousing so we could take out all the bolts of the pressure plate. Then he said if we didn't want to do that, we could spray lube into the clutch fork hole and hope it gets to the disc. Hm. There's about two inches between structure and the hole. I guess we could rig up a long tube. I'm going to mess with it some more and maybe I'll have a revelation and get it out.

Beautiful here. I'm gonna go spend a couple days with some friends in Alabama. Not near Foley. I haven't been anywhere in 7 weeks, this will be a nice trip away. Tiger is staying with Mom.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'll be eating pizza, playing with a non-neutered dog who is crazed out of his mind, and watching Motor Trend TV. Sounds wonderful.

Old October 20th, 2023, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Beautiful here. I'm gonna go spend a couple days with some friends in Alabama. Not near Foley. I haven't been anywhere in 7 weeks, this will be a nice trip away. Tiger is staying with Mom.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'll be eating pizza, playing with a non-neutered dog who is crazed out of his mind, and watching Motor Trend TV. Sounds wonderful.
Mike - Sorry to hear you couldn't get the Amphicar engine out.

I hope you have a safe trip and fun time with your friends in Alabama. I'm sure you're ready for a change of scenery after all that time at home!
Old October 20th, 2023, 12:28 PM

Hi guys,

Gorgeous Fall day here, 70° and sunny. More of the same tomorrow and just a little warmer. Judged Car Show tomorrow at a nearby Highschool benefiting their Athletic and Band programs that I'm going to. Then a cruise-in at a local BBQ joint on Sunday afternoon if I'm not burnt out from tomorrow.

Gramps is gonna brag a little now. Grandson Gabe who is 10 now is playing his first organized ice hockey and apparently he's a natural. He played roller hockey for a couple years and he's extremely fast on roller blades, and I've heard from his Mom that he's just as fast on the ice. His team just finished 1st during their 1st Session, going undefeated. He is playing Center on the starting Line and led the team in assists and was 2nd in goals scored. It is Sooooo Cool for me to see my last name on the back of Gabe's jersey. My daughter had him between her Freshman and Sophomore years in college, and never married his Dad, so he got my Daughter's maiden name. I was so proud of her getting through her college nursing program while raising a newborn/toddler. She got alot of help from her Mom and I, but it was still quite the challenge and she was absolutely determined she was going to get her BSN!

Old October 20th, 2023, 02:11 PM
Running On Empty

I love hockey - I hate curling. I love golf & I've been spanking it quite well. Lemon herb salmon, salad, wild rice (which honestly is NOT a rice but people call it wild rice), peas & carrots for dinner. Bought a couple small tubs of Pistachio Gelato for desert.
Old October 20th, 2023, 02:47 PM

Norm, you are correct wild rice is grass 😜
Old October 20th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Our family has collected/harvested wild Manoomin for at least two generations. Not large amounts, maybe a couple gallons once per year. We'd collect it primarily because it was fun. There were several Ojibwe families who our family would regularly purchase Manoomin throughout the year for pennies on the dollar.
Old October 20th, 2023, 03:34 PM

I love hockey - I hate curling. I love golf & I've been spanking it quite well. Lemon herb salmon, salad, wild rice (which honestly is NOT a rice but people call it wild rice), peas & carrots for dinner. Bought a couple small tubs of Pistachio Gelato for desert.
Norm - I really enjoy hockey too, although I don't have any experience playing organized hockey. They didn't have organized leagues for kids when I was young, and small and medium sized Highschools did not have teams. Living on a small lake I played a ton of backyard games with neighbor kids. No protective equipment of any kind, alot of split heads and torn up shins, but a helluva lot of fun! Hockey, sledding, ice fishing, and snowmobiling (if you were lucky enough to have one) was the winter fun, but you know that!
Old October 20th, 2023, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

I grew up watching nearly Chicago Blackhawks game on T.V. We all built (with our parents money and tools) ice skating rinks in our backyards from 2x4 or 2x6 perimeter boards, filled them with water from the garden hose and we had a rink all winter. I could tell you stories upon stories of Phil & Tony Esposito, Bobby & Dennis Hull, etc. Fast forward ~20 years & my first job after grad school (1988) is in St. Petersburg, FL. I met a guy (Jimmie DeGrace) from Detroit who just started playing in a 35+ years old league in Tampa a couple times/week. Asked if I wanted to play, I said sure - what's the deal. Jimmie says Phil & Tony put together a couple of amateur hockey leagues. They're working on bidding, paperwork, franchise, legal, financial stuff to bring hockey to Tampa. I ask Jimmie you're talking about Phil & Tony Esposito, right? I played a couple years before it became too much work, time & commitment. It was fun. Eventually, Phil & Tony did secure the Tampa Bay Lightning a couple years later - 1991/1992?
Old October 20th, 2023, 04:18 PM
Running On Empty

Forgot to mention....you said you went ice fishing. Both of my younger brothers go ice fishing. I put you in the same league as my brothers - whacked out of your heads. Sledding, skiing, snowmobiling, hockey, ice skating all great fun sports. Ice fishing? Explain to me how sitting on your *** in a small igloo building/tent freezing your F'ing nads off for several hours is fun? I'll tell you another guy who is not right in the head - Dave Casper. He would beg me to come to his frick'n camp in Northern Minnesota to go ice fishing in the middle of winter. I told him he suffered one too many concussions.
Old October 20th, 2023, 04:47 PM

Norm - That is a very cool story about about you playing in the amateur hockey league sponsored by the Espositos! Quite the rivalry between the Blackhawks and Red Wings back in the day!

I had many friends whose Dad's had plush shantys on various lakes. Most had propane heat and at least radios, some with small TVs. We weren't roughing it! More of an opportunity to hang out with buddies and have a few beers than ice fishing. As far as ice fishing on our lake, we could cut a dozen holes and set the tip-ups, and then watch them from from the warmth of our dining room table that had a large picture window that was maybe 15-yards from the lake. If we had a fish on, we'd throw on a jacket and run out to see what we had caught. That lake was spring fed, plus it had two separate channels that connected to the Battle Creek River. Great fishing, Large Mouth Bass, Small Mouth Bass, Yellow Perch, several varieties of Bluegill and Sunfish, Rock Bass, and Northern Pike. My Dad caught a 36" Northern once right in our back yard. In the Spring through Fall we could go out there on any given day and catch enough for dinner.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 20th, 2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old October 20th, 2023, 05:28 PM
Running On Empty

I talk a good game, but I wasn't a good player. In my youth I might have been a good player. I'd say I was a fair player in the amateur league. I was a very good skater, but I was only a fair stick/puck handler. I'd get ice time if we cleared our bench and a player was laying on the ground in our box completely exhausted and no one else had enough energy left in them.
Old October 20th, 2023, 05:33 PM

I talk a good game, but I wasn't a good player. In my youth I might have been a good player. I'd say I was a fair player in the amateur league. I was a very good skater, but I was only a fair stick/puck handler. I'd get ice time if we cleared our bench and a player was laying on the ground in our box completely exhausted and no one else had enough energy left in them.
Still a great story, and I'm sure a bunch of great memories!
Old October 21st, 2023, 04:14 AM

Laziest day I've had in a long time- yesterday was. I almost left house once and walked over to barn, but when putting coat on it started to pour rain, so never even went outside all day 'till 1730 when we went to dinner with friends. I actually hate days like that. I feel so much better when I accomplish something- even if all it is is sweeping floor or something. I watched a bunch of NHRA races on tube from ''62-'73. That was fun. I think it was around 1973 when they figured out "burnouts". Before that the fuel dragsters and alterds, etc. would smoke tires almost all the way down the quarter. I LOVE that!! No wonder drag racing was so popular back in the day! I think today I will go over and start putting away the Olds for winter. I always hate doing that. I'll leave F100 and my boat out for a while. Maybe son is coming up today and we and will put his pontoon in my barn 1st in the corner. After that is done then I will put my pontoon next to his then old cars. That will be about it. Son's speed boat is over at another place and no neighbors boat as was last year- lotsa room!!
Old October 21st, 2023, 04:16 AM

Oh yeah- Congrats on selling Vista, Jim. The guy who is interested in buying my Olds is waiting till spring. We'll see...
Old October 21st, 2023, 05:13 AM
Running On Empty

Gorgeous fall/autumn weather today. Actually, the next month will be wonderful fall weather each day - 70s daytime, 50s nighttime. A friend from Florida has been visiting his friends in Northern New Jersey the past 11 days. Received a text message he's leaving next Tuesday & he's going to visit me for several days on his return to Florida. He was a roofer most of his life. The two of us did the tear-off & installation of my current asphalt shingle roof ~2003. Time for more pruning, yard work & man-cave cleaning.
Old October 21st, 2023, 09:01 AM

.meatloaf
Old October 21st, 2023, 09:39 AM

.meatloaf
I'm on my way like a Bat Out of Hell, pun intended!
Old October 21st, 2023, 02:47 PM
Running On Empty

meatloaf
Good Job, Mr. Jim.
Old October 21st, 2023, 03:11 PM

Gorgeous out today, sunny, high of 80°, and a light breeze. Had a great time at the car show. Got 1st place in the Stock 1960 - 1979 Class. Car has done very well for itself this year placing in 10 out of 13 events.

Old October 21st, 2023, 03:34 PM

That's cuz it is a beautiful car! Congrats!
Old October 21st, 2023, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
That's cuz it is a beautiful car! Congrats!
Thanks Greg, very much appreciated!
Old October 22nd, 2023, 01:21 PM
Gearhead

We had some beautiful weather here in SE North Carolina yesterday, 72* and sunny. I went to a car show in Loris, SC which was an annual event called the "Bog Off" (chicken). There were 104 cars in the show with over 200 vendors presenting crafts and food. 1000's and 1000's of spectators. I got first place General Motors and I absolutely enjoyed myself.

Old October 22nd, 2023, 01:25 PM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Thanks Greg, very much appreciated!
You and I are going to need a barn for storing trophies!
Old October 22nd, 2023, 02:59 PM

Went down to Fennville today w/my brother for tombstone cleaning, then getting apples and a 175# pumpkin. The workers at the apple orchard, pumpkin farm were going to sell me two giant pumpkins for the price of one, then the owner showed up and stated NO! dang it. Nice crisp day out, temps in the 50's and sunny. Nice fall colors. To the two a youse trophy winners, congrats.
Old October 22nd, 2023, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Gorgeous out today, sunny, high of 80°, and a light breeze. Had a great time at the car show. Got 1st place in the Stock 1960 - 1979 Class. Car has done very well for itself this year placing in 10 out of 13 events.
Originally Posted by oldsrush
We had some beautiful weather here in SE North Carolina yesterday, 72* and sunny. I went to a car show in Loris, SC which was an annual event called the "Bog Off" (chicken). There were 104 cars in the show with over 200 vendors presenting crafts and food. 1000's and 1000's of spectators. I got first place General Motors and I absolutely enjoyed myself.
Congrats to you both.
Old October 22nd, 2023, 04:12 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - I used to love picking apples, pumpkins & the like this time of year - as you said crisp fall air - yasuryabecha.

As already stated, weather here is just gorgeous & should remain this way for the next several weeks (minimum). Smacked the little white ball nicely today - lovely weather for it.
Old October 22nd, 2023, 04:29 PM

Love your car too rush, congrats, I really like that trophy!
Old October 22nd, 2023, 05:22 PM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Love your car too rush, congrats, I really like that trophy!
I really like trophies when they are not little stands with a Mustang car on top...
Old October 22nd, 2023, 05:24 PM
Running On Empty

I like any trophy which is NOT plastic.
Old October 22nd, 2023, 06:00 PM

Congrats James, well deserved and very cool trophy! Our '67s are kickin **** and taking names! Went to a non-judged cruise-in this afternoon, it was gorgeous out here too. It was nice just to hang out with a bunch of car guys and have a couple cold ones!
Old October 22nd, 2023, 06:02 PM
Gearhead

They are now estimating the Bog Off had 30,000+ spectators...I believe it and half of them circled around my car!