The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2022, 02:31 PM

Only about 50 cars and 20 bikes. Not as bad as I thought traffic/parking was going to be. 30/50 cars is about normal 20 bikes is a lot
Old December 18th, 2022, 02:34 PM
Running On Empty

The bikes use pucks for their kickstands? Unless the ground is saturated & soaked it shouldn't be an issue.
Old December 18th, 2022, 02:37 PM

Didn't see a one, What surprised me was they drove up the gravel road rather than park and walk up, Most visitors on bikes don't care for the gravel road
Old December 18th, 2022, 02:38 PM
Running On Empty

It is surprising. I would NOT ride up a gravel road.
Old December 18th, 2022, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

You need a well-placed drive on #8 to arrive at 150-160 yds to the green - narrow fairway. The green looks interesting with what looks like like a funnel which runs from the back RH corner to the front LH corner.
Old December 18th, 2022, 02:47 PM

AND if you go right you go off a steep embankment that leads to a well worm low collection area [because I've personally worn it out]
Old December 18th, 2022, 03:41 PM
Running On Empty

Old December 18th, 2022, 03:45 PM

Norm - Glad you had a productive day, sounds like the exterior maintenance is going well!

Jim - Glad the funeral went well and parking didn't turn out to be much of an issue. I hate gravel roads on the motorcycle, I would have parked and walked. You know what I really hate, fresh chip and seal asphalt maintenance. You might as well throw some ball bearings in a puddle of oil, very dangerous, and a real PITA to get off your bike!

Didn't do much today, I was on dog patrol while my wife went down the street to clean house for the neighbor. I was in the doghouse when she came back because the dogs got into a fight over a toy, and Maggie got the toy, but got her chin split open in the process. They aren't fighting trying to hurt each other, as in actually biting, just wild growling and gnashing. Someone eventually catches a canine in the face area and blood is drawn. I had the bleeding stopped by the time my wife got home by putting some styptic powder on it and applying pressure, but of course it's my fault for not breaking it up soon enough! I don't care, there's no way in hell I'm getting in between two Bulldogs when they're going at it like that!
Old December 18th, 2022, 06:00 PM

Norm GREAT Pic I think the middle arrow tip is covering up my ball. There's actually a drain there.The light spot on the green [under the left arrow] actually feeds the collection area. It takes a perfect shot to the middle left to stay on
Old December 18th, 2022, 06:21 PM

Agree with you to NOT get in between the dogs when they’re posturing against each other. I ended up with 6 stitches in my lip when I was between two dogs scrapping over some food.
Old December 18th, 2022, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Agree with you to NOT get in between the dogs when they’re posturing against each other. I ended up with 6 stitches in my lip when I was between two dogs scrapping over some food.
Thanks Kenneth! My dogs are so sweet with us and other people, and I know neither one would ever purposely bite me, but when they get like that with each other they temporarily lose their minds. You're just asking for it if you get in the middle of one of their scraps.
Old December 19th, 2022, 04:14 AM

Went up to Wally's yesterday, took up cans and got frustrated at the return machines.... UGH...... BUT!! I found the Chicago Pizzas! Bought 2 I think the meat lovers and the supreme. Wifey already had a ham in the oven so we didn't sample last night, but maybe tonight! I will follow your expert pizza chef instructions to a tee, Ralph!! Looking forward to it.
Old December 19th, 2022, 04:26 AM

Good morning guys,

Cold here this morning, 24° F at 0600, and we're supposed to get scattered flurries, but no real accumulation. Morning lows on Friday - Sunday this week are projected to be -3, 2, and 7.

Went to a live Nativity scene yesterday evening at the Church where my wife and I were married. We try to make it every year. They have a beautiful location for it, and it is complete with Shepherds, Camels, Sheep, Cattle, Donkeys, and an Angel. There are also Carolers, and hot coffee, hot chocolate, and cookies for visitors. It is an annual tradition that they've been putting on for over 40-years.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 19th, 2022, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Went up to Wally's yesterday, took up cans and got frustrated at the return machines.... UGH...... BUT!! I found the Chicago Pizzas! Bought 2 I think the meat lovers and the supreme. Wifey already had a ham in the oven so we didn't sample last night, but maybe tonight! I will follow your expert pizza chef instructions to a tee, Ralph!! Looking forward to it.
Greg - That's great that you found the pizzas so you can at least give them a try! Like I told Dan, everyone's tastes are different, and I may have hyped them too much, so please don't crucify me if they're not up to snuff! Hope I didn't come across as condescending or bossy with the cooking instructions, I just wanted you to end up with the best possible results if you were able to find them.

Now, for this "Ralph" business, please, I beg you, call me Chris!
Old December 19th, 2022, 05:09 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I see the area on the green which feeds the collection area. Tough hole.
Old December 19th, 2022, 07:29 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Glad you had a productive day, sounds like the exterior maintenance is going well!
Chris - It is. There are however, days I wake up thinking they should put me in traction. A hot (115°F) whirlpool helps significantly. Glad I put this in during my remodel - I knew the day would come when I became an old geezer. Today we make the Tabbouleh and more cornbread.

Old December 19th, 2022, 07:37 AM
Running On Empty

Norm - You're very welcome. Here's one other option. My wife and I watch quite a bit of tv, we watch quite a few movies, and I love watching sports. We already had a 55-inch smart TV a couple years ago, but it was aging, and we decided to move it to our bedroom and replace it with a near top of the line 70-inch Samsung 5G QLED Smart TV, with a Harmon Kardon home surround sound system. Wow, what an incredible picture and viewing experience!!! Top of the line Smart TV's have really dropped in price the last 2-years. My recommendation is splurge on yourself and get yourself a new, extremely large, Smart TV. I guarantee you will not regret it, the increased viewing pleasure is like the difference between night and day!
Chris - Good recommendation - I enjoy watching movies and very select sporting events (90% golf). I have a friend w/ an 86" Smart TV. I have a Bose 5.5. surround system. I realize the significant price drop in Smart TV pricing. It remains highly unlikely I can justify the purchase of any HDMI Smart TV while a perfectly good/functional 36" CRT gets the job done. Heck, my dual HDMI PC monitor is larger (41") than my CRT TV. As I said, maybe I should move my davenport into my office?
Old December 19th, 2022, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - It is. There are however, days I wake up thinking they should put me in traction. A hot (115°F) whirlpool helps significantly. Glad I put this in during my remodel - I knew the day would come when I became an old geezer. Today we make the Tabbouleh and more cornbread.
Norm - I feel your pain, literally! Way too many years of playing contact sports are finally taking their toll on me. I'm sure that hot tub really helps. I remember seeing that before when you showed us your gorgeous remodeling job. That is one beautiful bathroom.
Old December 19th, 2022, 07:41 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. I feel like a boiled potato soaking in it.
Old December 19th, 2022, 08:11 AM

Chris - Thanks. I feel like a boiled potato soaking in it.
All the times we've been to RMNP hiking, we've stayed at the Wildwood Inn in Estes Park. Their rooms are beautiful, with a full kitchenette, so you don't have to eat out every night if you don't want to. The best thing about the style of room we always rent is that it has a large (4 person) hot tub on your private deck that overlooks the mountains. After a full day of hiking 10 to 14-miles at altitude (10K to 14K-feet), and a good dinner, it was so nice to crawl in that hot tub with an ice cold beer! I'm convinced we couldn't have hiked 107-miles in 10-days without the rejuvenating properties of that hot tub!
Old December 19th, 2022, 08:18 AM
Jeff

Chris - Good recommendation - I enjoy watching movies and very select sporting events (90% golf). I have a friend w/ an 86" Smart TV. I have a Bose 5.5. surround system. I realize the significant price drop in Smart TV pricing. It remains highly unlikely I can justify the purchase of any HDMI Smart TV while a perfectly good/functional 36" CRT gets the job done. Heck, my dual HDMI PC monitor is larger (41") than my CRT TV. As I said, maybe I should move my davenport into my office?
Definitely an option to move some comfy seating into your office. However... if you are so inclined to look at a big tv, Sam's Club currently has a 70" Vizio QLED for $549. I bought it on Nov 16th at $649, and when I was in Sam's 2 weekends ago, noticed the price drop and got a price match credit. Very satisfied with the tv, one month in. It is light enough for you to mount on a wall by yourself. I took the safe route and had both of my boys holding it as I installed the clamps that close the hooks on tv to the horizontal bars on the mount. Better safe than sorry.
Old December 19th, 2022, 09:10 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - My first time to RMNP was 1959. A two week cross country road trip with our parents in a new 1959 Buick Invicta Estate Station Wagon (Dark Green) - round trip from Elgin, IL>Wall Drug, Burma Shave signs>Pikes Peak>Colorado>New Mexico back home via original Route 66. Four of us (prior to my younger brother's birth, 1962). I'll never forget pulling into Estes Park - quite abandoned relative today's environment. We camped the majority of the trip - big old canvas tent with big poles - it was quite the trip, awesome campfires, lots of hikes.
Old December 19th, 2022, 09:15 AM
Running On Empty

Dan Jeff - That's one heck of a price. You guys are tempting me. I have a very large Armoire cabinet in the living room with drawers, shelving with doors, etc. Current CRT TV sits inside and is closed off by two large swinging doors. I'd have to find TV which sits in the Armoire. I used to have measurements - I think I can accommodate 60"-72" (diagonal) Smart TV - ~54" horizontal distance.

EDIT: Maybe I should pay attention to each post? Sorry, Jeff.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 19th, 2022 at 09:41 AM. Reason: doh!
Old December 19th, 2022, 10:05 AM

Chris - My first time to RMNP was 1959. A two week cross country road trip with our parents in a new 1959 Buick Invicta Estate Station Wagon (Dark Green) - round trip from Elgin, IL>Wall Drug, Burma Shave signs>Pikes Peak>Colorado>New Mexico back home via original Route 66. Four of us (prior to my younger brother's birth, 1962). I'll never forget pulling into Estes Park - quite abandoned relative today's environment. We camped the majority of the trip - big old canvas tent with big poles - it was quite the trip, awesome campfires, lots of hikes.
Norm - That was the year I was born! Sounds like a wonderful trip! My family did a similar trip in 1965 from Michigan to Yellowstone, via the Black Hills. Dad was driving a 1964 Plymouth Valiant pulling a bare bones Coleman pop-up. I remember going to the Frontier Days Rodeo in Cheyenne on that trip too!

One more thing about Estes Park, Dawn and I consider it "Our Place". The first time we went was in the fall of 2009, we weren't married yet and I had taken her with me on a 3-day business trip to Denver first, and then we drove up to Estes Park. When going over the mountain where you get the first good view of Estes in the valley Dawn thought it was the most beautiful place she had ever seen and it brought tears to her eyes. When we got to our condo, I had Roses, a box of fine chocolates, and a chilled bottle of Champaign waiting. That evening I took her to the finest restaurant in Estes, The Black Canyon Inn, and in the middle of dinner got up and got down on one knee and proposed. She was totally surprised, but thankfully thru the happy tears, she said yes, and everyone within eye/earshot applauded. And as Paul Harvey would say, "Now you know the rest of the story!"
Old December 19th, 2022, 10:23 AM

Norm, Don't forget to use the black iron skillet
Old December 19th, 2022, 11:33 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - You are the man. I would have forgotten, honestly. Just like I forgot a couple ingredients at the grocery store, yesterday. Middle of preparing the Tabouli right now, then the jalapeno cornbread. Thanks for the reminder - seriously; since, we both know crispy is always best.
Old December 19th, 2022, 12:39 PM

norm, De nada We great golfers got ta help each other out from time to time
Old December 19th, 2022, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
norm, De nada We great golfers got ta help each other out from time to time
Keep it coming Jim, I've got my hip waders on now!
Old December 19th, 2022, 12:55 PM

Ok now I was gonna have some smartass reply to you Chris about your other name and the pizza instructions but then you tell us that proposal story- You smmoooth romantic devil you.... Ok so no "Ralph" could be that romantic! Great story, I'll let you know about the pizza.
Old December 19th, 2022, 01:07 PM
Running On Empty

Incoming....prepping Tabbouleh

Must be sharp

Parsley (washed)

Parsley rolled (to dry)

Parsley (dried)

Parsley (florets)

Ten times more garlic than recipe requires

Diced garlic

Garlic & scallions

Diced scallions

Fresh mint

Diced mint

Fresh lemons

Squeezed lemon juice

Buckwheat (boiled w/ salt)

Buckwheat (after sitting 20')

Buckwheat, olive oil, lemon juice & mint (into refrigerator for 3 hrs)
Old December 19th, 2022, 01:13 PM
Running On Empty

Keep it coming Jim, I've got my hip waders on now!
Hope you're wearing X-TRA LARGE.
Old December 19th, 2022, 01:16 PM
Running On Empty

Ok now I was gonna have some smartass reply to you Chris about your other name and the pizza instructions but then you tell us that proposal story- You smmoooth romantic devil you....
Never too late for a smart A$$ remark...

Old December 19th, 2022, 02:09 PM

Ok now I was gonna have some smartass reply to you Chris about your other name and the pizza instructions but then you tell us that proposal story- You smmoooth romantic devil you.... Ok so no "Ralph" could be that romantic! Great story, I'll let you know about the pizza.
Greg - The story might sound romantic, but what it really was, was a desperate, middle aged man, pulling out all the stops hoping he wouldn't grow old alone!!! To this day I still don't know how I pulled it off. I think she just felt sorry for me, like a stray dog!

I sure as hell hope you and Dan like the pizza, or I'm gonna be too embarrassed to even get on here! Not!!!!
Old December 19th, 2022, 03:05 PM
Running On Empty

Into the oven. Jalapeno Creamed Corn Cornbread...

Old December 19th, 2022, 03:26 PM

Norm - Looks like one helluva delicious meal, You Da Man! We're you a protégé of Graham Kerr???
Old December 19th, 2022, 03:38 PM

Great Pizza, Chris. We really liked it. Crust was crunchy- Wifey even ate the Pizza bones, which she almost never does. So we ate it all and Buddy didn't get any bones... poor little guy.
Old December 19th, 2022, 03:51 PM

Great Pizza, Chris. We really liked it. Crust was crunchy- Wifey even ate the Pizza bones, which she almost never does. So we ate it all and Buddy didn't get any bones... poor little guy.
Whew, after all that build up by me, I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I really like that crunchy crust too, has a really unique flavor! Sorry Buddy missed out on leftovers though!
Old December 19th, 2022, 03:55 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - Looks like one helluva delicious meal, You Da Man! We're you a protégé of Graham Kerr???
Graham attended several of my workshops...
Old December 19th, 2022, 03:57 PM
Running On Empty

Old December 19th, 2022, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

Great Pizza, Chris.
I might have to try one of those pies...