The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2019, 08:21 AM
Running On Empty

Well, that didn’t work out as planned. You probably made the right decision, though. Absolutely nothing gained when you develop a lack of confidence/trust in someone. I’m sure you’ll find another dentist. Ask around for recommendations & check on-line reviews. GL
Old August 1st, 2019, 09:39 AM

If it walks ;like a duck and quacks like a duck,, it's probably a duck
Old August 1st, 2019, 10:06 AM

I've been pretty fortunate when it comes to dentists. All have been good, and I have recommended them to others over the years.
Old August 1st, 2019, 09:02 PM
Always room for one more

Mercy, mercy me.

Hello everyone.

Long, long day today, got up at 4, then remembered the trailer I rented had no running lights, so I didn't leave until 8. I sort of snoozed a little extra. Got to the guy's house where the car was, loaded it up, turned right around and hit the road back for home. Uneventful and safe trip, though I'm in 50 bucks for tolls. That alone tells me the State of Florida is crooked. I won't start on why tolls in general are crooked.

Haven't spent any time with the car, I'll do that tomorrow. Dropped the whole rig off at the shop and came home in the dogmobile. It was a tough trip on Tiger, we didn't have a lot to eat today and it was just a long ride. He's an excellent assistant, though, and was none the worse for wear. He sure was glad to get home.

Jamesbo I haven't been to the dentist in years. One long bad experience that lasted about 25 years and that was it for me. When my teeth rot and fall out then I'll do something.

I'm off tomorrow so I'll sleep in and do some catch up. Starting Saturday it will be a work marathon. That's okay, new car needs a top.

Okay I'm hitting the sack. Good night everyone.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 04:36 AM

Mike I agree about Florida and their toll roads- literally highway robbery! I'm sure you've heard it before but you really should get a good dentist and go. You have a good job and dental insurance? If it really freaks you out , lots of dentists can do "sedation dentistry". Of course you need to be comfortable and confident of the dentist you use. I knew some guys who had to have dentures and it wasn't good -painful and uncomfortable. So did you get the Corvair? I had a 62 Corvair when I was in the Navy in San Diego in 1976. It was a 2 door with automatic. Didn't have it long but 2 memories I will never forget. 1st was shortly after I got it I thought it handled so great like a go kart and I entered a long freeway ramp too fast and the rear end did that shift they were known for ( on the early ones) and I thought I was going to flip over- Really scary! 2nd memory was driving it down to Ensinada , Mexico and having it quit at a store about 10 miles from our camping destination. It had seized up! Couldn't believe it, was running fine, shut it off, went back to start it and it seized. So we left it and came back in a week with a towbar. Towed it back to San Diego and left it by the curb in front of our apartment. It got towed away! Couldn't afford to fix it. Should have left it in Mexico. Well only paid $300 for it but that was a lot of money back then. After that bought a 55 Olds 98 from a used car dealer that went out of business after I bought it. Never got the paper work and couldn't get plates, couldn't even junk it without the title- gave it to a friend and I think that one got towed also. Ah the memories- live and learn!
-- Got the overhead garage door up and it is so nice. Going to install the opener soon. Ended up going with a " temporary" construction light string up on the 2nd floor, used those new 100w equivalent LED bulbs in it pretty nice, enough light for up there. See ya!
Old August 2nd, 2019, 06:33 AM

Very nice Greg,

Mike, X 2 ya really need to find a good dentist [end of lecture]

Sum where out in my 25 acres is a top length pin for my tractor. Actually there are probably a few dozen.

Phuque it, I'll go buy 3 more and toss them in the ammo box I have for a tractor tool box

Headed norte

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 2nd, 2019, 08:25 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Boy Tiger is a tough crowd. He wanted me to get up at 6. I said no way. He wanted me to get up at 8. I said you're kidding. Well got some scam message on my phone that made it go ding so I figured that I should get up. I think Tiger sent it as a back up. Been to the Awful house and also got my ears lowered.

Greg, a barn with a Mansard roof. How fancy.

Been in my house 14 years today. And it still looks a lot like it did back then. No wonder I'm always irritated.

Jamesbo you must like those ammo boxes. I got one of yours.

Gonna get my Mom's car registration all swapped over today, gonna mess with the new Corvair and turn back the Uhaul trailer. Gonna pick up around the house a little and then get ready for a long work marathon. After the summer schedule is over I'm gonna plan a vacation.

Okay have a good Friday everyone.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 09:08 PM

Nice barn Greg. Off to the Gilmore in the a.m. for the Red Barns Spectacular, and yes, I have the date right this time.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 08:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Wow did we have a lot of people at work today. We finished up before 10 but didn't leave until around 11. Not sure what the hold up was, but have an extra couple hours to myself before I go to bed early and do it all again tomorrow.

Dan have a good time at the Gilmore. I'd like to go see that place some time. Can you only go for events or is it a regular museum and people go anytime they want?

My Dad has been gone 36 years today. Holy Toledo. Hard to grow up to be a man without a positive male influence. I'm not saying it's an excuse to be a punk, but I can sure understand how some of today's youth turn out like they do when dad takes off, or isn't in the picture.

Okay a little lunch and I'll see what I can get into this afternoon. Not gonna say what because that's probably not what I'd do. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 05:10 PM

Mike, open year round to the public except for holidays. They had 1200 vehicles there today. Had to be the biggest turnout ever, almost too many people, no way to get pics of everything that's for sure. We talked to a couple of young guys in their mid twenties, who took a road trip to southern Michigan from Wisconsin. One was driving a '70 Cutlass Supreme, and the other a '68 Catalina. Neither of their cars had a/c, and it was a bit warm. My buddies car was converted to R134a, and I am not on board with it, it just does not cool like R12. Long day, gonna watch a dvd and drink gatorade to get re hydrated.
Old August 4th, 2019, 04:15 AM

[QUOTE=slantflat;1188767]Jamesbo you must like those ammo boxes. I got one of yours./QUOTE]

Mike, I forgot ya got the M-60 box as a bonus with the trailer. I use a smaller M 16 box on the tractor ta hold tools

Actually I LOVE all kinds of ammo boxes, Haven't me talked about my building full of mortar boxes before
Old August 4th, 2019, 06:14 AM

Dan, haven't been to Hickory Corners in a while, can't go for that Olds show either cuz going on the US 27 thing again. This time i'm really going to remember to take some pics and post them. Anyway I do miss Hickory Corners.
Oh my God, 2 more mass shootings in 2 days! I just can't believe it...
OK, happier things- Had a thunderstorm last night, pretty cool, lots of thunder and lightning. Started actually putting things away permanently in the barn after the big move and revamping of shop. Feels good to get things organized finally. Take care all.
Old August 4th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

About a carbon copy day of yesterday. Finished by 10, out at 11. But things seemed a lot slower today, I thought we'd be there all day. Now to start the work week tomorrow. Ah, no rest for the weary.

It rained this morning, so no mowing this afternoon. I think if I don't sit down and fall asleep, I'll do some more work in the bedroom. Currently fixing spots on the walls and sanding. Some einstein painted half the room with semi gloss paint. That all gets sanded.

Jamesbo I do remember talking about your ammo box building. You should have showed it to me when I was up there.

Well, something's gonna happen, nap or otherwise. It's nice out now. Wish I had a barn to go put stuff in.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.
Old August 4th, 2019, 01:03 PM

Red Barns pics. A very nice '64 Starfire for sale, if anyone's looking. https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Ua8CyJ4xmq9euEh8
Old August 5th, 2019, 08:18 AM
Oh no, not again...

Cool pics, thanks for sharing!
I do like the Starfire, would prefer a 62 though. The 64 is nice, but isn't as exciting. Besides, once the currency conversion is done, that works out to over $20,000 of our little dollar-ettes. Add taxes and import duties and shipping, it'd cost me $30,000 all in.

Tough week at work last week, I was filling in for my boss, he picked a good week to be off. Ended up shutting the whole place down after a major piece of equipment started to fail. Just trying to relax before I jump back into it tomorrow...
Old August 5th, 2019, 10:06 AM

45/44
Old August 5th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Things weren't as smooth today, because there weren't as many people. I think also on the weekends the brake side people come for overtime, and the clowns on the wheel side step it up so the brake side doesn't think they're clowns. Eh, I don't care. I worked my half day and then did nothing.

Summit tonight. I had considered not going, but I'll go anyway. It's very nice out, should be a good turnout.

So that's about it. I was told today that I'll be doing that inspection thing tomorrow and Wednesday and Thursday. Not thrilled with it, but what the heck, something different. I'll still go in early and get two hours of overtime.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.
Old August 5th, 2019, 02:59 PM

Marc, there is more info on the Starfire, Jetfire 88 and Jetstar 1 in this months JWO.
Old August 5th, 2019, 03:52 PM

Dan , I was at the Gilmore also ,I didn't see you there, sorry I missed you. I did find a few parts to buy though, and yes a lot of cars there. was a good day even if a little hot.
Old August 5th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Running On Empty

39/42
First round ProAm today. Best ball gross/net match play format 3-man teams + Pro. Came in @ -14
Second round tomorrow 10:00am Shotgun
Old August 5th, 2019, 07:56 PM

Hey, Chris, would have been nice to talk to you. That show is getting too big to see everything, and yeah, it was warm. I gotta get a canopy to take to a couple of shows to keep from burning up. The Del Shannon show is this Saturday, are you going?
Old August 6th, 2019, 08:07 AM

Norm, You're too good for me. But I wished I'd videoed one shot on a par 5 # 16.My 6 iron 3rd shot set up a perfect birdie opportunity [which I promptly blew]

Dentist saga page II

Went to get a second opinion after my gut said, This [new lady dentist taking over for my regular dentist for 30 years] don'r know WTF she's talking about [ Wanted to pull a tooth that wasn't hurting me]

So Second opinion dentist takes X rays and says, " Nothing needs any attention"

Bye bye old dentist

Old August 6th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Running On Empty

James - WTF - You're saying the new lady dentist wanted to pull a tooth which wasn't bothering you? Is this a new form BDSM dentistry she learned in dental school? WTF Happy you made that big U-Turn. Did this new lady dentist even bother to take any x-rays of the tooth she wanted to pull? If not, that is extraordinarily bizarre.

Shot the opposite of yesterday today: 42/39 Hey, I'm consistent. LOL
Old August 6th, 2019, 02:41 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Day 1 of 3 doing the inspection thing. It went well, but throwing those heavy wheel halves around wears a guy out quick. Came home and have done exactly nothing. Yesterday I did the same thing and ultimately decided against the car show. I hate being this tired in the afternoons.

Beautiful out. I think the rain is done for awhile now. At some point this week I hope to have enough energy to do some mowing. I've cut back to Thursdays only for the chiro. Said I wanted an extra day to do things. Funny.

Well a little cleanup in the kitchen and I'm off to lala land. Last night Tiger just wouldn't settle down. It was like he was spooked by something in the house. He'd go out and not want to come back in. Finally he came in and laid down in weird places. I got to sleep finally and woke up around 11 and he was next to me on the floor, and when I got up at two he was right next to me sleeping. Hm, whatever it was must have went away.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old August 6th, 2019, 05:18 PM

Well, I got the seats and carpet out of the Olds. No fun when it's hot and humid. Took pics of the floor pan, probably should be replaced, the only good areas are the passenger side foot well and the area under the rear seat. Drivers side has a 6" long rust hole near the front of the sill plate where it starts to drop down. Floor brace area is rusting through in a couple of places, and there are rusty looking cracks on the trans hump just behind where the rear of the console mounts to the floor bracket.
Old August 7th, 2019, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - WTF - You're saying the new lady dentist wanted to pull a tooth which wasn't bothering you? Is this a new form BDSM dentistry she learned in dental school? WTF Happy you made that big U-Turn. Did this new lady dentist even bother to take any x-rays of the tooth she wanted to pull? If not, that is extraordinarily biL

Yes, the new lady took an x=ray and there was a small infection. I had taken a Z-pac a few days before. She said, the infection would affect the adjacent tooth and damage it so it needed to be removed

Maybe she jes wanted a new Porsche, I don't know. The 2nd dentist I went to said, " MY job is to help you keep as many teeth as possible". I like his style

Headed to the eye doctor today to get this medical stuff out of the way
Old August 7th, 2019, 05:31 AM

--Dan, what car are you taking seats out of?
--Jim, I also like keeping teeth. Sounds like a good choice.
--Yesterday a school teacher friend of mine said he had to go and start getting ready to go back to work. I was shocked that we are this far thru summer. Even though I am 63 years old and way past school days, I still cringe when I think of the end of summer and "going back to school" sales, etc. It seems it took forever to get past the cold/wet spring. Every year summer gets shorter in my mind, anyway. It sure is true that time goes faster when you get older!
--We are going to have a friend and his family come up on Thursday and spend the night. Looking forward to it. He and his wife are in their 40's and their kids are 15 and 12, I think. Hopefully weather will be good, hope to take a boat ride and have a campfire.
--The Cutlass has been neglected, not getting used much. Maybe we can take those kids for a ride in it, that would be fun.
Ok enough from me, take care!
Old August 7th, 2019, 06:48 AM

Well, The eye doctor says I need glasses,

The list continues to go

Hearing aide, Glasses, dental implants

I got a young bride so I don;t need a pecker pump

I think I'll jes get a fore caddy and call it a day

Problem solved
Old August 7th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Day two of three turning wheels. I tried my best to find cracks but everything I thought was a crack turned out to be not a crack. Eh, that's a good thing, those wheels are expensive.

Second day in a row that we got all of our work done before 2. So it can be done. Inspection usually finishes their work by noon. So I sit around for an hour or so and then go up front. I'd just be in the way otherwise.

Jamesbo treating the infection wasn't an option? Sounds like you'd have had a million dollar mouth by the time she was done. Get contact lenses. They are not the pain that everyone says they are and you still get to retain your natural beauty.

Greg when I was little I couldn't grasp the idea that my Dad had to work every day in the summer. I thought he should be off for summer vacation like I was. I feel the same way you do sometimes, except the kids around here go back way earlier than we ever did.

Dan is this part of preparation to sell that car? Are you going to reinstall it all or leave it out? You should let us see the pictures.

Got a couple errands to run and I really need to do them. I actually feel pretty good this afternoon, not beat to death like most days. It is beautiful out. So see ya's all later.
Old August 7th, 2019, 01:03 PM

Mike, Yes, I treated the infection before I went in for a cleaning with z-pak. Guess some of it was still there but when I went to dentist #2 nada. I jes get a bad felling about this lady she's too sure of herself and this is the 2nd time she's been wrong

And from the classic add department. We have this one
Old August 7th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

Wink Spread Your Legs!

Originally Posted by jamesbo
Oh heck yeah!
Old August 7th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Running On Empty

I have (own) x6 tooth implants @ ~$3K/implant.
Old August 7th, 2019, 10:00 PM

Storm coming through, dumping a sh!tload of rain in us. Wind gust of 49 mph. Greg, my '69 W31. Mike, yes preparing to sell, may put it back together. Jamesbo: Good thing that your eye doc. wasn't like your last dentist, or we would have to start calling you "patch". LOL on the vintage ad caption...and she's in the back seat!!
Old August 8th, 2019, 05:48 AM

I'm taking a sabbatical from health issues today and gonna take a golf lesson. I mean what good is being healthy if your golf game sucks

Old August 8th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ah, last day at the inspection station. Everyone seems adamant that the other guy will be back tomorrow and he will be down there. We'll see.

Despite my best efforts, I continue to learn things at work. Today I saw a couple new instruments I hadn't seen before, and got a quick tutorial on how they work. I also realized that I remember more and more of the basic operation of what I'm doing. Lots of codes to keep track of, but they are all listed on the front of the machine, so I wasn't too worried about memorizing them. But I find myself putting in the codes for the different wheels and not even thinking about it. Hm.

Enjoy your lesson Jamesbo. A golf lesson is better than ailing any day. Unless of course you're "ale-ing."

Well I must have broken a spell, because today also I feel okay and not slap wore out. It's chiro day, they may throw me out because I never got my Xrays and I don't have the payment they want. Eh, I don't care.

Okay good afternoon to you all.
Old August 8th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Running On Empty

I found a very good man (the owner) at my local Tire & Alignment center to hoist my '71 CS and we both reviewed my entire suspension & steering system (for my winter project).

(1) Regarding my PS gear box, which I performed a very minor (1/8") adjustment, he stated my gear box is in perfect condition - no leaking anywhere, rag joint no movement, etc. Neither the idler arm nor the Pitman arm need replacement.
(2) The UCA bushings (both sides) are completely dry-rotted and slipping out of the sleeves. The LCA bushings (both sides) are completely dry-rotted.
(3) The drag link needs replacement. The tie-rods are in fine shape. The sleeves are in fine condition (unless I booger up the threads when removing the tie-rods).
(4) The front sway bar-to-frame bushings are completely dry-rotted.
(5) Both sides of the rear control arm bushings (I think this is a box-framed control arm?) upper & lower are completely dry-rotted.
(6) The upper LH ball joint is bad. It's an aftermarket replacement.
(7) Propeller/Drive shaft in perfect condition as are the U-Joints.

Since I have to replace all control arm bushings (and metal sleeves) I'll replace all x4 coil springs, as well. I've already installed new Bilstein & Monroe shocks (front & rear). I believe as long as the control arms are out, I'll replace all the ball joints, as well.

All-in-all, not so bad honestly. I was happy to have someone w/ years of experience examine the suspension w/ me on the hoist and go over each item. I believe I'll use all OEM control arms currently on the vehicle, have each one glass bead blasted, then I'll paint them.
I need to review some of the threads regarding the types of UCA & LCA bushings & metal sleeves. I'm keen to recall some of the conversations regarding oval versus round sleeves and I believe there is a delta between polyurethane versus rubber bushings. Personally, I lean more towards the rubber versus polyurethane. I realize polyurethane will last longer than rubber (from what I recall in my readings), but for a very low mileage driven daily driver, I don't see much of if any advantage to polyurethane. While on the lift I still find it amazing this car has nearly zero rust on the entire undercarriage, and no rust visible on the body when viewed from the undercarriage, as well. When I performed an R&R of the carpeting last fall I found no rust on any floor boards. The vehicle was never titled outside the state of Georgia in 47 years. There's hardly any snow fall in Georgia, they aren't much for pounding Interstates and roads with salt, and there's no salt water humidity in Georgia.

I have a couple months to put together a parts list.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 8th, 2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: sp
Old August 8th, 2019, 01:36 PM

Norm, Rob [whose pin name totally escapes me [ lady ???] had a good thread on this years ago
Old August 8th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Running On Empty

Lady72nRob71......?

Old August 8th, 2019, 01:46 PM

yep Dat be Rob

Check out his front end thread

[note to self] never phuque around with computer geeks [they make ya look stupid]
Old August 8th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Running On Empty

Trying to find it now. Thanks.