The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2023, 04:12 PM

EXCITING IRON BOWL
Old November 25th, 2023, 04:35 PM
Running On Empty

Disassembling, cleaning, rearranging connections, for turntable, DAK PC Interface Mixer & plustek (slide) optic film scanner. Kinda/Sorta optimizing space. May grab a new set of speakers for the office room. I think I may have a brand new set of speakers in the garage. Just need to build a couple cabinets. Nothing big, this is for the office. I wired my home's walls (internally) for 5.1 surround many years ago for my Bosch 5.1 system. Doubtful I'll tap into that system, but I do enjoy creativity.
Old November 25th, 2023, 05:17 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Looks like a nice rotary cutter. Two blades? Nice apron/deck. Like the solid tire - no puncture wounds.
Old November 25th, 2023, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Michigan 30 - Ohio State 24,
Way to Go Blue!

Yessiree Bob!
Old November 25th, 2023, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
EXCITING IRON BOWL
Yes it was, Alabama was very lucky to come out on top!
Old November 25th, 2023, 06:54 PM

Yes it was, Alabama was very lucky to come out on top!
That's another team who can lose forever.
Old November 26th, 2023, 02:21 AM

Norm come borrow it an take it own into your ditch So i get a text from a family saying the deer are rubbing against their tree. i go up to check it out and wrap the trunk Guess what they piled up apples around dads marker. ya cant fix stupid

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 26th, 2023 at 12:03 PM.
Old November 26th, 2023, 02:29 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a great Thanksgiving. The car show was excellent and we had dinner at my friend's daughter's house. It was a nice spread. Very relaxing time. Walked two full days and had no pain. Success! Didn't buy anything.

Left Daytona Saturday morning and stopped in St. Augustine to see my neighbor. She moved there after her husband died. I absolutely adored these people. They took such good care of me. She has a beautiful house, it's huge, and his sister was there so I got to spend time talking with both of them. Her son and his family was there. They are okay people, I could take them or leave them, but it was nice to see them. Got home before 10pm so that was good.

Today was Walmart day. Mom didn't feel good so I went by myself. Ah, it was like old times. Got in, got out, no waiting around or multiple trips around the store. Tomorrow is work and everything is back to normal.

Well I'm gonna catch up and maybe come back a little later. Charlie Brown is on tonight. Sounds like everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Old November 26th, 2023, 03:06 PM

That Daytona show is immense and good, Mike. I've been a couple times as a guest of my father's late friend Jim in Jim's giant 56 Desert Rose "Yankee for 'Pink'" Chrysler New Yorker.

Started moving on the sump pump project today. Removed old assembly, measured, replicated, assembled. Only difficulty was those plastic pipe threads LOVE to cross. Finally got them to track right, it helps to push DOWN while turning on it by hand. I also lowered the bleed hole to where it should be, and tilted it a little down so the spray goes down.

Old pump is in the hole for tonight. Will install new assembly once the cement is fully done, probably tomorrow. House infrastructure ends at the union for the checkball, so it's a good place to go up to; I can just screw into the house instead of cementing.

Last edited by Koda; November 26th, 2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old November 26th, 2023, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Had a great Thanksgiving. The car show was excellent and we had dinner at my friend's daughter's house. It was a nice spread. Very relaxing time. Walked two full days and had no pain. Success! Didn't buy anything.
Mike - So glad your operation is allowing you to be much more active without pain. Glad you had a great trip down there.
Old November 26th, 2023, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Koda

John - Very nice work! Very similar set-up to the 2 spares I had ready at my old place. I had about 6-inches of pipe above the check valve, and then a rubber coupling to connect into the pipe that left the house. All I needed was a nut driver to loosen the clamp on the coupling and I could swap it out in less than a minute.
Old November 26th, 2023, 04:11 PM

John - Very nice work! Very similar set-up to the 2 spares I had ready at my old place. I had about 6-inches of pipe above the check valve, and then a rubber coupling to connect into the pipe that left the house. All I needed was a nut driver to loosen the clamp on the coupling and I could swap it out in less than a minute.
so the question is when do you know it needs to be swapped out
Old November 26th, 2023, 04:24 PM

When you hear it stop working. If you're out of the home when it craps out you're screwed. I also had auxiliary battery powered back-ups in both my sump holes, but they were only good for 5 or 6-hours if the water was really pouring in. I lived in a valley bottom at the very base of a very high hill, the hydrostatic pressure was immense. Without heavy duty sumps the basement would have flooded in a matter of minutes when the ground was saturated from raining for multiple days.

Old November 26th, 2023, 04:26 PM

Previously, before the weep hole was installed, the pump would run, but not move anything, and eventually would run fine until a large period of no use, then the same would happen again. I thought it lost prime. Zoeller thought it was air locked, and recommended the hole to prevent that. I put the hole in and the old pump did not do that anymore. However, Zoeller says their pumps are good for 10 years, and mine are at least that old, so I am replacing them in a planned manner. This spring, I will do the other one, and retain that old pump for a spare.
Old November 27th, 2023, 04:05 AM

Pump looks good John. I have one in my basement which runs very little. Basement is high enough so not any ground water, but condensate from HVAC goes into it. It sounded funny a few years back- like water was coming back in when shut off, and that was exactly it. The flapper in back flow valve had broken off- I changed the valve. Ok now. I found my old Sansui 5500 would only pickup one strong station. I remember I asked you about taking it apart and using air and contact cleaner on tuner, which I did. You mentioned that I would probably have to get something else soon. Well I was thinking about finally replacing it, but then found antenna wire was completely off! Back to working again.
How is every body doing?? Sounds like you are much better, Mike. Norm is busy with the house, Chris and Dawn enjoying family times, Jim is brush hogging with new brush hog. Boy those things are a beast! Son has one on back of his tractor, I use it once a year in fall to keep open spaces open. It is a good time--relaxing in a way. We got about a inch of snow yesterday- it is staying yuck... Ah it looks pretty, I guess.....
Old November 27th, 2023, 05:07 AM

Bush hoggin 101 A friend of mines caretaker removed the top bar and replaced it with SHORT Chain so he could back up an hill while bushogging. Sooooooooooooooooo being a new comer [40 years ago] i thought i would give it a try Works great UNTIL you hit a big rock and the whole thing stands up straight in the air still spinning and ya have to go change your undies
Old November 27th, 2023, 05:30 AM
Running On Empty

BUSH HOGGING 101

NEVER backup a bush hog w/ blades engaged - NEVER.
Old November 27th, 2023, 05:47 AM

Yeah I used to do the trails thru the woods and backed up a lot. It was the easiest way but found I was destroying the machine. I don't do the trails anymore, I rebuilt/welded hog up twice last year. Too hard on it.
Old November 27th, 2023, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
We got about a inch of snow yesterday- it is staying yuck... Ah it looks pretty, I guess.....
Greg - The prettiness only goes so far doesn't it? Wonder if Dan got more over near the lake? It's cold enough to snow here this morning, still only 29° at 0830. Won't break my heart if we don't see any for many moons. Hope all is well up there in the Great White North!
Old November 27th, 2023, 08:27 AM

Cold this morning. Back to work. Clutch master is slowly failing on the truck; I'll have to replace it soon. I use my driveway's hill to coast high enough I can rev match into first to get going. Any other time I make sure I get back into first as I am stopping. When it gets really bad, the starter will lug when in gear as clutch is not fully disengaging. After 289k, it can give issues.

Found a nice disc image online in DTS format of 9 gigabytes of all Pink Floyd albums in a fan made surround mix. Burned it to a dual layer DVD and got the format wrong, made it as a data disc. Once I used a better burner program and burned it as DVD-video, my universal disc player attached to the stereo perked right up and took it. Had to hook up a TV to get the menu, but, got it going and shut the TV off and played The Wall and drank bourbon. The surround separation (like different things going into different channels) is good, but could be more. Like many of these, the effects get moved more than the main vocals and instruments.

Example: One Of My Turns. Pink is watching TV as the groupie who tagged along with him checks out his hotel room.
Groupie front right channel: "Oh, my God! What a fabulous room! Are all these your guitars?"
TV in the rear left channel: ("I'm sorry sir, I didn't mean to startle you")
Groupie front left channel:"God! This place is bigger than our apartment!"
TV in the rear left channel: ("Let me know when you're entering a room, yes, sir?")
Groupie front left channel: "Um, can I get a drink of water?"
TV in the rear left channel: ("I was wondering about")

Groupie front left channel, farther away: "You want some, huh?"
TV in the rear left channel: ("Yes")

Groupie rear left channel:"Oh, wow! Hey, look at this tub! Wanna take a bath?"
TV in the rear left channel: ("I'll have to find out from Mrs. Bancroft what time she wants to meet us, for her main")
Groupie front and center:"What are you watching?"
TV in the rear left channel: ("If you'll just let me know as soon as you can, Mrs. Bancroft... Mrs. Bancroft")
Groupie front and center: "Hello?"
TV in the rear left channel: ("I don't understand")

Groupie front and center:"Are you feeling okay?"

Then the song begins. It's sort of neat to hear the woman's voice move as she supposedly walks around.

Another example is Bricks in the Wall 3, where he destroys a TV with multiple hits. The hits bounce all over the room with each hit coming from a different channel. This has been a hallmark of the Floyd surround albums since their original release, most famously being Time's alarm clocks and Money's cash registers bouncing around the channels.
Old November 27th, 2023, 10:07 AM

John - I love Floyd, it must sound awesome in that type of surround format!
Old November 27th, 2023, 10:37 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Decent start to the Monday but then it slacked off. Strangely enough we've finished for the day already.

It's colder than a witch's tit today but the sun is out. It's cold in the shop, too. It's right at the precipice of comfortable. I take my jacket off, I put my jacket on. All day.

There's a sump pump installed in Mom's house that was specifically for the washing machine. It would drain into the pit and the pump would pump everything up and over to the septic tank. I don't do laundry over there anymore so I'm tempted to unplug it, since it never runs. Not sure that's a good idea. One never knows...

I got back to TNGMT history lesson today. I'm just starting page 126, which is not quite 10% of the whole thing. I know what's coming up. Pat hasn't been on for quite a while and I know at some point he was killed in a car accident. Sandy is in the process of getting new wheels painted for Teepo, and several people are graduating high school or college.

Jamesbo do you still have all those SSII wheels? I know this was 11 years ago.

Think I'll get up and walk down to the roll up door. Going to pick up Tiger at the vet after work. Boy I miss that guy. But I sleep so much better when he's not home. You know what, I'd rather he was home.

Okay have a good Monday everyone.

Old November 27th, 2023, 10:46 AM

UOTE=slantflat;1537954] Jamesbo do you still have all those SSII wheels? I know this was 11 years ago..[/QUOTE] Yes only more because I Put 15s on the drop top How many would you like I think I Have 12 [ Plus I have one I use for a hose reel and I think I gave Donny one for a hose reel too ] and 8 jeep wheels They are kinda like the Super Model's shoes or Tribbles

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 27th, 2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old November 27th, 2023, 11:34 AM

Mike - Glad you got home safely. I'm sure Tiger will be just as glad to see you as you are him!
Old November 27th, 2023, 12:59 PM

Wonder if Dan got more over near the lake?
Yep, 3". A lot of ditch parties yesterday. Stopped by the local nursery that I have been going to for years (My mom took me there as a kid to get flowers and christmas trees), and inquired about getting a fresh wreath. They won't have them made up until tomorrow. They have someone that comes there and makes them for them. I'll get it tomorrow, and string some lights through it to hang on the front of the garage.
Old November 27th, 2023, 02:25 PM

Even back in the day we could hear the cash register ring/drawer open go from front to back. And that was on a cheap under dash 8 track with wire connections twisted together and taped with Mom's cellophane tape! I'm sure that old Floyd is really great when heard on a great set up. Do you like the 90's stuff John,- Momentary Lack of Reason, etc?
Old November 27th, 2023, 02:33 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo are all the wheels up at the lake? We need to make a plan. I know I keep saying I'm going up there, but I really need to.

So I picked up Tiger and they also had trimmed his nails. They were like talons. Now they are very short and he's quiet when he walks. The good doctor has found another way to fleece the customers. He charges 3.5% extra if you use a credit card. That's highway robbery if you ask me. I've been on the other side of the fence and the grass isn't greener. So I'm just resigning myself to the fact that he's a piece of $hit and I'll pay what I have to so Tiger will have good care. But I can guarandamntee you there will be changes next go round. Hm. I said that last time.

Old November 27th, 2023, 02:39 PM

Even back in the day we could hear the cash register ring/drawer open go from front to back. And that was on a cheap under dash 8 track with wire connections twisted together and taped with Mom's cellophane tape! I'm sure that old Floyd is really great when heard on a great set up. Do you like the 90's stuff John,- Momentary Lack of Reason, etc?
I don't mind the new stuff. What I DO mind is Roger playing the old stuff, or David playing the old stuff. Pulse is ok because it's live. So, I can like the new stuff because it never had Roger in it, so it doesn't sound wrong without him.

The neat thing about Quad 8 track was the separation of channels was great. Fidelity, not so much, it was an 8 track. I do have a quad 8 player, and a stereo 8. Problem is, all cartridges blow the splice the first time around, so I have rebuilding supplies and need to start doing that.
Old November 27th, 2023, 03:38 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Certainly not the same, but similar in analogy. My dentist charges more than what is routine & customary (based upon my BCBS North Carolina Dental Insurance). Routine hygienist charges for cleaning, etc. are all routine & customary charges. However. when dental work is required (filling, crown replacement, etc.) I always pay more than what is routine & customary since he charges more. But, he does exceptional work so I keep my mouth shut and pay the fiddler.
Old November 27th, 2023, 03:39 PM

Mike Yep they are in the garage BTW you are P O d at the wrong person All he doing is passing on the fees he is charged by the CC company [bank] At ye ole cemetery, Id rather some one mail me a check a week later than pay the CC fees

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 27th, 2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old November 27th, 2023, 04:59 PM

Around here almost all the restaurants, bars, stores, propane companies- well almost everyone charges 3% for credit card use. I have went back to carrying cash. Think about it 3%! That is huge- adds right up! The bank might give you 3% on a savings acct- but that is for a year! Not instantly!
Old November 27th, 2023, 05:08 PM

Around here almost all the restaurants, bars, stores, propane companies- well almost everyone charges 3% for credit card use. I have went back to carrying cash. Think about it 3%! That is huge- adds right up! The bank might give you 3% on a savings acct- but that is for a year! Not instantly!
Ironically, around here, more often than not, credit card fees are automically built into the pricing if using your card, and then many places offer a discount if you pay in cash.
Old November 27th, 2023, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike - Certainly not the same, but similar in analogy. My dentist charges more than what is routine & customary (based upon my BCBS North Carolina Dental Insurance). Routine hygienist charges for cleaning, etc. are all routine & customary charges. However. when dental work is required (filling, crown replacement, etc.) I always pay more than what is routine & customary since he charges more. But, he does exceptional work so I keep my mouth shut and pay the fiddler.
Some people care about the cost and will accept substandard work. Some people care about the work and will accept a premium price. I would rather pay more, now, and avoid headaches down the line. Some people think only about money, but I value my time and peace as well.
Old November 27th, 2023, 06:24 PM
Running On Empty

SIDEBAR: 'The Wall'
I've been a fan of Pink Floyd & a fan of The Beatles since Day One. I always read about the graphics on albums (platters) when I purchased a platter. Gerald Scarfe did the graphics for The Wall. Enter Paul McCartney & Jane Asher (she was a tasty tart) - you might recall Jane from 'Alfie' (Michael Caine). She was Paul's inspiration for the song 'And I Love Her'. So, Paul is in bed w/ some other chick (Linda Eastman [McCartney]) when Jane walks in & catches them in "the act" (1968). Short story Jane married Gerald Scarfe.
Old November 27th, 2023, 08:46 PM

Hell hath no fury, etc.

New sump pump is in the hole and functioning. The liquor cabinet I bought to modify last year my friend wants as a liquor cabinet, so I have agreed to sell it to him. I bought a piece of **** ikea particle board thing that I put about 20 bucks of cabinet hardware into it to reinforce it and sawed up the shelves and made a one shelf with one divider for strength layout record cabinet out of it. I will put the collection in there, then I will take my good record cabinet to a local cabinet firm and have it duplicated or close to it. I have to send a record player out for servicing, it started up and spun at full motor speed, figure 100 rpm. It has lost its regulation, this one has done it before.
Old November 28th, 2023, 02:41 AM

Old November 28th, 2023, 04:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Okay I'm tired of this cold weather. It can warm up again at any time. Sun is coming out today so that will help.

Norm I don't agree with you. I've been going to this place for decades but it's only been recently he's put the new charge on the cards. I suppose it's possible he changed credit card people, but this guy is a follower. Other vets in the area went to appointment only, soon after he did too. Other vets doubled their price for boarding for no apparent reason, soon he did too. So I can only guess he went somewhere(like my mechanic) and saw they charge for credit cards and he thought that would be a good way to milk the customer. Because his prices aren't high enough as it is.

Jamesbo I heard there's going to be a service for Mrs. Carter at your alma mater. Will you be attending? Are you automatically invited when stuff like this goes on there?

Good start to the morning. I've already got 12 wheels done and break is in a half hour. That's pretty good. Wouldn't mind an early departure this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Old November 28th, 2023, 05:12 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I forgot to tell you, and anyone else who might find themselves in Georgia today. Go fill your cars up with gas. The gas tax goes back on tomorrow, which means prices will jump 31 cents. That's substantial. I filled up the truck over the weekend, but will be topping it off. Hm, topping it off. It will probably take 10 gallons. I'm going to take the SRX when I get to Mom's this afternoon. The gas tax is supposed to be used to maintain the roads. I think it maintains the fullness of politician's pockets.

Old November 28th, 2023, 07:28 AM

Mike, YES I am [was ] an Emroid. NO I Never go back for any reason. I Can remember the day I graduated vividly stopped at a light on Clairmont going over I 85 thinking I'll never have to go back to that place again . I hated it with a Pashion
Old November 28th, 2023, 02:52 PM
Always room for one more

Hm. If you hated it that much why didn't you transfer? Eh, you got it over with. Still pretty prestigious.

I was incorrect. The gas tax goes back on tomorrow at midnight. So all day Wednesday there will be no gas tax. I still took the SRX to fill it up today. I'll stop with the pickup on my way home from work.

Finished at 1230 today, stayed until 215. That's pretty rude. He'll be sorry when people figure him out and throw out the anchor.

Had store lasagna tonight. That stuff is surprisingly yummy. I know Mom likes it because it's easy. She said one of these days she'll make a real one.

Okay time for MASH.