1970 W-30 4 spd coming back to life

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2021, 04:06 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by tnswt
This is true
Nice !!

from your avatar pic scrappies under trunk spray out looks like a very good match
Old September 21st, 2021, 07:14 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Nice !!

from your avatar pic scrappies under trunk spray out looks like a very good match
Yea, Scrappie is using the right paint color; no doubt about that. Our cars both wear No. 25 Astro Blue, but that is where our similarities end. Scrappie has taken a sow's ear of a car and turned it into a silk purse standout

Last edited by tnswt; September 22nd, 2021 at 08:57 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2021, 07:38 AM

Yea, Scrappie is using the right paint color; not doubt about that. Our cars both wear No. 25 Astro Blue, but that is where our similarities end. Scrappie has taken a sow's ear of a car and turned it into a silk purse standout
Thx, I must admit you have a way with words.
Old September 22nd, 2021, 07:42 AM

Gotta agree with the Sow's ear. I just am amazed at the work I see a few folks do. Astro blue is a really nice color, I thought the pic was a baby blue, which I'm not so sure about. I just don't have it in me to do a job like that, the patience or the "whatever it takes" to do so perfect a job. I'm looking forward to seeing its completion and will miss the updates.

Steve
Old September 23rd, 2021, 12:17 PM

Thanks Steve
Old September 23rd, 2021, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by scrappie
Im using PPG color and Sherwin Williams clear. It was a custom color to match. I left my original trunk lid with them and by the end of a week they had a pretty good match. They had a color code 25 Astro blue but the sample they gave me was a nice blue just didn't match that good so they custom mixed what I got until I was happy and they saved in their computer.
The painting in my opinion is all about confidence. It really isn't that hard if you take your time and do your homework. I have watched and read so much about painting that it got me excited to do it. If you watch Youtube at all there are two outfits I can recommend : V8 tv and Brian from the Paint society. I think Ive learned a ton from those two in addition the car I painted 10 yrs ago also. There are really no short cuts, it just takes a lot of work and you have to find or have the time.
You can do it "Dont over think it, its just paint"
BTW I can't afford to pay someone either.
Is the paint base coat clear coat, urethane or what! Just curious! Looks really nice!
Old September 23rd, 2021, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by OLE442
Is the paint base coat clear coat, urethane or what! Just curious! Looks really nice!
Thx,that is a BC/CC paint
Old October 3rd, 2021, 02:36 PM

Sunday work (finally got it half painted)

Ive been in a race with the weather to get this thing painted and Im almost done. I put the body back on the rottisserie to paint. I felt I could better access areas this way. The only thing that concerns me is installing fenders without scratching but I'll cross that bridge. After I got it on the twirler I put guide coat powder on the whole car and proceeded to block sand the whole body again along with fenders and hood. Started with 225 then finished with 400. I touched up any areas where needed with primer also. I then masked the car and shot a wet coat of sealer. I then went right to color with two coats of base followed by 2 coats of clear. I think it laid out pretty good and I could pick little things but Im satisfied with it. There is some slight orange peel and a few dirt nibs but it should all buff out nicely. I will try to paint the hood and fenders next weekend and I should be good until stripes.

Back on the jig and guide coated whole thing

Starting to block everything

blocking fenders too

blocking hood

Astro blue metallic

Prepped to 400, washed and prep sol and tack ragged

masked and ready to go

sealer

laying the base

starting the clear

Last edited by scrappie; October 3rd, 2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 02:39 PM

More pics

Old October 3rd, 2021, 04:17 PM

Wow, looks awesome Paul ! Keep it up.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 04:54 PM

Color looks great Paul. Amazing how well it looks even with a “home” paint booth. Did you design in some air circulation in the booth or just seal it up?
Old October 3rd, 2021, 05:16 PM

Thanks guys. Andy I have a door that is in my garage that I made part of the booth. I have three fans on a panel that I built that I insert in the doorway to exhaust air. On the other side of the booth I have a panel with 4 HVAC filters that filter air that is sucked in by the exhaust fans. It works good enough for me.

Last edited by scrappie; October 3rd, 2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 06:02 PM

Looking awesome Paul,
What paint did you use to paint the bottom?

Old October 3rd, 2021, 06:27 PM

Thanks Tim.
I painted the bottom about a year ago with speedo kote hot rod black.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 07:10 PM

Sheer Awesomeness!!! Thanks for sharing your progress; it is looking fantastic!
Old October 3rd, 2021, 08:13 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

There is some slight orange peel and a few dirt nibs but it should all buff out nicely.
You were on my mind earlier today. I asked myself if Scrappie is painting! Glad you felt like updating since it was a long day for you.

I would not worry so much about the peel and the nibs since you have more sanding and buffing ahead of you. From your pictures it appears things whent your way today. Congrats great job!
Old October 3rd, 2021, 08:20 PM

Excellent! I LOVE creative solutions

Thanks guys. Andy I have a door that is in my garage that I made part of the booth. I have three fans on a panel that I built that I insert in the doorway to exhaust air. On the other side of the booth I have a panel with 4 HVAC filters that filter air that is sucked in by the exhaust fans. It works good enough for me.

Old October 4th, 2021, 02:23 AM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 4th, 2021, 05:12 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Looks outstanding, Paul! That’s another huge milestone. Hard to tell in the pictures but assuming you hit the underside with some astro blue overspray? Keep it up…it only gets easier from this point forward!
Old October 4th, 2021, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by My442
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks P

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
Looks outstanding, Paul! That’s another huge milestone. Hard to tell in the pictures but assuming you hit the underside with some astro blue overspray? Keep it up…it only gets easier from this point forward!
Thx jimmy! I got a little overspray there but I probably do a little more just for ***** and I want to hit under the rockers a bit more.

You were on my mind earlier today. I asked myself if Scrappie is painting! Glad you felt like updating since it was a long day for you.

I would not worry so much about the peel and the nibs since you have more sanding and buffing ahead of you. From your pictures it appears things whent your way today. Congrats great job!
Thx, so far so good
Old October 4th, 2021, 03:10 PM

Crazy Awesome!!!!! WOW, I wish I got a paint job that good from the body shop. Really Impressive, you should (must) be really proud of the job you are doing.

Steve
Old October 4th, 2021, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
Crazy Awesome!!!!! WOW, I wish I got a paint job that good from the body shop. Really Impressive, you should (must) be really proud of the job you are doing.

Steve
Thx Steve, I've got a ways to go and I feel good about things so far but I do look forward to looking at it in it's completion knowing I brought it back to life so to speak.
Old October 4th, 2021, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Sheer Awesomeness!!! Thanks for sharing your progress; it is looking fantastic!
Thanks for that
Old October 10th, 2021, 05:13 PM

Weekend update 10/10/21

Got some more painting done this weekend. I'd say I'm probably 95% done. The things left to paint are the dash, rear window panel, core support, flat black on firewall and side stripes. The W-30 side stripes will have to wait until car is back together. Now I just have to not damage this stuff for the next year.
I went 3 coats of base and two coats of clear. Looks pretty good and after some wet sanding and buffing it should be nice. Masking for the stripes took a little time and was a bit tricky for me due to the tight corners but I figured it out I think. Its a load off my back now so I can tend to some yard work and other stuff. I'm thinking Mark Remmel should have the motor done in the next month or so also so that will be good. Still a ton of work to do but I'm getting there. The body work and prep for painting has been a lot of work but I do really enjoy the painting part. Its kind of like my reward for all that work and its real satisfying to see the color and shine. Im glad I built the paint booth because if I didn't, everything in my garage would be covered with overspray and bondo dust, but I'm looking forward to disassembling the booth to get my garage back.
The cut and buff will have to wait for now.

masking for stripes

Last edited by scrappie; October 10th, 2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old October 10th, 2021, 05:15 PM

Few more pics

Old October 10th, 2021, 05:39 PM

w30

Beautiful Paul. When can you start your next one.. same car, different color. :- )
Old October 10th, 2021, 06:31 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Scrappie you can tell you did a good job on the body work because it makes the paint look so good! That shine don't lie, it always tells the truth of what's underneath
Old October 10th, 2021, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vader
Beautiful Paul. When can you start your next one.. same car, different color. :- )
Thanks Mike. If time and money wasn't important I'd say when I'm done with this one but I have no idea.

Scrappie you can tell you did a good job on the body work because it makes the paint look so good! That shine don't lie, it always tells the truth of what's underneath
Thanks Stephen. I think all that blocking is paying off. I think I said this before but I really want the paint and body as flat and straight as I can get it. Its the first thing you see. It really makes a difference IMO. It probably takes me twice as long as a pro or maybe I just dont get to work full time on it but it will get done eventually. Good body guys earn their money that’s for sure.

Last edited by scrappie; November 10th, 2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old October 10th, 2021, 08:05 PM

I'm gonna try to get mine painted by next year and I have the Viking Blue lacquer and high performance clear. I like your idea of the paint both but may just look into the Chinese blow up paint booths like they sell on Fleabay since the cost of the wood especially might not be cost effective! I'm thinking of trying to spray the metallic Viking Blue with an HTLV gun and have never used one before. In theory is should give me a better spry result....in theory. This will be my last paint job if I ever get it done! :LOL

I hope mine looks half as good as what you've done with this car! AWESOME WORK and RESULTS!

OLE442

Last edited by OLE442; October 11th, 2021 at 08:43 AM. Reason: correction
Old October 11th, 2021, 05:12 AM

I'm gonna try to get mine painted by next year and I have the Viking Blue lacquer and high performance clear. I like your ide of the paint both but may just look into the Chines blow up paint booths like they sell on Fleabay since the cost of the wood especially might not be cost effective! I'm thinking of trying to spray the metallic Viking Blue with an HTLV cup and have never used one before. In theory is should give me a better spry result....in theory. This will be my last paint job if I ever get it done! :LOL

I hope mine looks half as good as what you've done with this car! AWESOME WOK and RESULTS!

OLE442
Those blow up booths look like they work pretty good but they are not cheap and you need the room inside or favorable temps outside, then you need the space to store it. I dont know what a HTLV cup is? but technology changes all the time so good luck.
Thanks
Old October 11th, 2021, 08:03 AM

HVLP -you probably know high volume low pressure, less overspray, less pressure required. Of course maybe there is a HTLV?
Steve

Last edited by Phoenix8990; October 11th, 2021 at 08:04 AM. Reason: add info
Old October 11th, 2021, 08:13 AM

I'm gonna try to get mine painted by next year and I have the Viking Blue lacquer and high performance clear. I like your ide of the paint both but may just look into the Chines blow up paint booths like they sell on Fleabay since the cost of the wood especially might not be cost effective! I'm thinking of trying to spray the metallic Viking Blue with an HTLV cup and have never used one before. In theory is should give me a better spry result....in theory. This will be my last paint job if I ever get it done! :LOL

I hope mine looks half as good as what you've done with this car! AWESOME WOK and RESULTS!

OLE442
My son and grandson are living above my garage right now and did not want to paint inside the garage.
So, I just received my blow-up booth last week I am hoping to prime my car later this week. (probably last chance before weather changes)
I will make a separate post, showing the booth and progress.

Old October 11th, 2021, 08:45 AM

I meant to type HVLP Gun but screwed up. Anyone here paint lacquer with one. I always painted with a siphon feed but am looking to the newer gun for less overspray & waste!
Old October 14th, 2021, 02:34 PM

exhaust system

I really don't enjoy spending my hard earned money but if I do, I get some satisfaction and even a little pride knowing people in this country still make quality products. I've heard nothing but good things about these guys and I look forward to installing once I get motor back.

Old October 14th, 2021, 03:17 PM
72 Olds CS

I really don't enjoy spending my hard earned money but if I do, I get some satisfaction and even a little pride knowing people in this country still make quality products. I've heard nothing but good things about these guys and I look forward to installing once I get motor back.
Im w you Scrappie....wheres the "like" button ?
Old October 15th, 2021, 04:49 PM

Great Job Scrappie!! I have a few that need this work! 😁
Old October 15th, 2021, 05:26 PM

Thanks Magna, Get to work!
Old October 15th, 2021, 06:14 PM

Sadly everything is in storage jail as my house and garage still aren't done! 😔
Old October 15th, 2021, 06:14 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Careful with that Gardner stuff; your car may sound like this
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Exhaust2.mov (4.17 MB, 62 views)
Old October 15th, 2021, 06:24 PM

Very nice!

Quick Reply: 1970 W-30 4 spd coming back to life