1970 W-30 4 spd coming back to life

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2021, 06:28 PM
Banned

I too love checking this thread. Great great thread. You are doing that car serious justice. Looking great. Beautiful Grey Ghost look. I bet you are excited to get the color on. Thanks for posting all that you have.
Old August 16th, 2021, 09:26 AM

Thanks gents! By far this has been the most labor intensive part of this job to this point but just keeping my head down knowing it will have an end.
Old August 16th, 2021, 03:38 PM

This is awesome, Scrappie! Thanks, too, for sharing your booth details - much appreciated!
Old August 16th, 2021, 04:04 PM
Banned

Keep that head up. You are killing it. The colors really have me too. Fast *** baby blue car? I am all in. Glad things are going well for you and your car. 🥳
Old August 16th, 2021, 04:32 PM
72 Olds CS

One day at work a girl was talking about musclecars (this really is a true story in spite of the opening line)
I said oh i have a muscle car, i drove it in today.
excitedly she said lets go see it !
SO out to the parking lot we went, where she said disappointedly
"thats not a muscle car, its baby blue"

No offense meant scrappie, my car really is baby blue #24 Nordic blue yours is more of a brighter blue
Old August 16th, 2021, 05:10 PM
Banned

Ha ha ha. I so feel you. When I lived up North West California I met this girl. I was a buck. 22 or so. I owned a sweet one owner 67 LeMans. Completely stock. White black top and interior. Buckets. Console. Automatic car. Clean clean car. For those not Pontiac hip. Tempest=F-85. LeMans.. past a Cutlass. LeMans meant bucket seats. I asked this girl girl out. I felt she was younger but she was on her own in college so I thought no worries.

We walked out to my car. She says. I think my Grandpa owned this car!! She didn't mean it literally. But kind of. I am thinking really? White and black 67 LeMans? She was born in Brazil so I gave it a shot 🥳😂🤣
Old August 16th, 2021, 05:20 PM
Banned

I Love Love Love the lighter colors. My Brothers W-31 was white with blue stripes top and interior. Loved that car. Then I found my car. Early Rally Red car. Couldn't hide if you had to. Oldsmobile A Body's are the best looking A Body cars 70-72. Period. I love a Buick. Love a Chevelle. Love a Goat. 70 A Body Olds?... Can't touch it. Let alone a 70-72 ragtop. Those Cutlass Supreme rear quarters kill it
Old August 16th, 2021, 05:29 PM

I dont care what shade of blue to be honest. In fact if it was pea green Id still be doing it pea green. My goal is to return it as close to original as possible. No matter the color it still puts me back some 40 yrs ago to a different time when I thought the car was cutting edge. Maybe my next one will be a resto mod?
I think when girls think muscle car, they think a bright colored HEMI or camaro or something, which is still pretty cool.
Old September 11th, 2021, 04:01 PM

Progress report

Its been a while since I have given the car my undivided attention but today I did just that. Ive been in block sanding mode in what seems like forever. The prep for paint takes forever in my case. As I stated before, this is for me anyway, the most labor intensive part of this resto. It is also the most rewarding for me. To see this dull grey or black object for the last four years all of a sudden show a little color, its like going from black and white to color TV. I can truly see why resto shops charge what they do for this work.
Anyways, after polyester primer and block sanding I then put a coat of 2K primer on everything and then guess what?........some more block sanding all in prep for color. Im still deciding wether on painting the fenders separate from the rest. I kinda wanted to see how the paint flows and lays down. Either way I still got the fenders and trunk lid underside painted which motivates me. I'm gonna try and jam the doors tomorrow and if I have time, I will jam the body but I think that may be next weekend? Just not enough time in the day.
As far as the color goes, I was wondering if it would look good compared to all the paint technology and colors today but I am happy with the way it looks and I'm looking forward to getting the whole car done and hopefully before the temp gets too low. The push is on.

Seam sealed the back side to try and duplicate OEM

I got a coat of sealer on followed by some color.

I painted back sides of fenders before all this and sealed jams

Got some color on back of trunk lid

Clear

clear on trunk lid

Out in the sun

I like the sun lighting it up

Last edited by scrappie; September 13th, 2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old September 11th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Old School Olds

Nice work Paul!
Old September 11th, 2021, 04:41 PM
72 Olds CS

That looks really nice!
Old September 11th, 2021, 04:49 PM

Yes, that is some excellent work you are doing!

What type of paint are you using?

What is the name of that color??

I'm going to do mine in lacquer and hi-perf clear. I have all the paint for it. I was supposed to have it near ready to paint this fall but am no ways near.

I'm nearing 70 and haven't painted a car in 20+ years and am lacking confidence and energy but I'm too cheap to pay someone. If I don't get it done in the next year or so, I'll probably never get it done. In my 30's it would already be done.
Old September 11th, 2021, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.
Old September 11th, 2021, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by OLE442
Yes, that is some excellent work you are doing!

What type of paint are you using?

What is the name of that color??

I'm going to do mine in lacquer and hi-perf clear. I have all the paint for it. I was supposed to have it near ready to paint this fall but am no ways near.

I'm nearing 70 and haven't painted a car in 20+ years and am lacking confidence and energy but I'm too cheap to pay someone. If I don't get it done in the next year or so, I'll probably never get it done. In my 30's it would already be done.
Im using PPG color and Sherwin Williams clear. It was a custom color to match. I left my original trunk lid with them and by the end of a week they had a pretty good match. They had a color code 25 Astro blue but the sample they gave me was a nice blue just didn't match that good so they custom mixed what I got until I was happy and they saved in their computer.
The painting in my opinion is all about confidence. It really isn't that hard if you take your time and do your homework. I have watched and read so much about painting that it got me excited to do it. If you watch Youtube at all there are two outfits I can recommend : V8 tv and Brian from the Paint society. I think Ive learned a ton from those two in addition the car I painted 10 yrs ago also. There are really no short cuts, it just takes a lot of work and you have to find or have the time.
You can do it "Dont over think it, its just paint"
BTW I can't afford to pay someone either.
Old September 11th, 2021, 05:42 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Great start with the color coat Scrappie. As you know, you will never capture this metallic blue correctly with a camera under tube light. As you found it dramatically changes color outside in the sun, even a cloudy day will give different results with a camera. Looking at your sun pictures, I'd say you nailed the color. It's beautiful and an appropriate match to the original.

If I were standing in your shoes at this point, I would be sweating bullets, but I know you are too collective to be bothered. OK, I'll give you my 2-cents worth: Hang the fenders on the car to paint them. You don't want a 2-shade difference going on between the fenders and doors when done.

Good Luck with the paint as you move to the exterior of the car.
Old September 11th, 2021, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by tnswt
Great start with the color coat Scrappie. As you know, you will never capture this metallic blue correctly with a camera under tube light. As you found it dramatically changes color outside in the sun, even a cloudy day will give different results with a camera. Looking at your sun pictures, I'd say you nailed the color. It's beautiful and an appropriate match to the original.

If I were standing in your shoes at this point, I would be sweating bullets, but I know you are too collective to be bothered. OK, I'll give you my 2-cents worth: Hang the fenders on the car to paint them. You don't want a 2-shade difference going on between the fenders and doors when done.

Good Luck with the paint as you move to the exterior of the car.
Thanks, that is a concern but I really want to paint the body on the rotisserie without the fenders because it will be a lot easier to reach and more accessible to get even coverage.

Last edited by scrappie; October 4th, 2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old September 12th, 2021, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by scrappie
Thanks, that is obviously my main concern but I really want to paint the body on the rotisserie without the fenders because it will be a lot easier to reach and more accessible to get even coverage.
I painted my Astro Blue W-30 using black final primer. You would not think it makes a difference, but when the painter shot the spray panels, there was no contest which looked deeper.
Old September 12th, 2021, 08:12 AM

Stunning workmanship!
Old September 12th, 2021, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by scrappie
Im using PPG color and Sherwin Williams clear. It was a custom color to match. I left my original trunk lid with them and by the end of a week they had a pretty good match. They had a color code 25 Astro blue but the sample they gave me was a nice blue just didn't match that good so they custom mixed what I got until I was happy and they saved in their computer.
The painting in my opinion is all about confidence. It really isn't that hard if you take your time and do your homework. I have watched and read so much about painting that it got me excited to do it. If you watch Youtube at all there are two outfits I can recommend : V8 tv and Brian from the Paint society. I think Ive learned a ton from those two in addition the car I painted 10 yrs ago also. There are really no short cuts, it just takes a lot of work and you have to find or have the time.
You can do it "Dont over think it, its just paint"
BTW I can't afford to pay someone either.
Here's the 1969 BOSS 302 I did in my early 30's and a 1969 MGB-GT I did last (20 plus ish years ago) and both were in lacquer and Hi Perf clear. These are photos of photos so not as clear as I would like! The BOSS was pretty road worn when I started and the MG was what I called a rolling shed!
I did everything on both cars so I know I can do it and I have a better garage and equipment but age has me mentally questioning my confidence! I think if I get started again I can finish up this last project! LOL! Still looking for that case of motivation I put in my garage. It's there somewhere! HA

Last edited by OLE442; September 12th, 2021 at 08:14 AM. Reason: thoughts added
Old September 12th, 2021, 09:25 AM

Impressive!
Steve
Old September 12th, 2021, 05:09 PM

Got some more blue on stuff today. Inside of doors, sport mirrors, hood tooth and door hinges.
Hoping to get the rest jammed next weekend, we'll see?

Last edited by scrappie; September 13th, 2021 at 02:54 AM.
Old September 12th, 2021, 06:42 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Dang Bo Gator, the paint on the miscellaneous pieces is impressive; the exterior of that W30 you have doesn't have a prayer, it's gonna be painted blue, and soon!
Old September 13th, 2021, 02:50 AM

Dang Bo Gator, the paint on the miscellaneous pieces is impressive; the exterior of that W30 you have doesn't have a prayer, it's gonna be painted blue, and soon!
I hope but rushing to get this done is when mistakes happen or corners get cut so I try to stay at a consistent pace.

Originally Posted by joesw31
Stunning workmanship!
Thanks Joe

Last edited by scrappie; September 14th, 2021 at 02:53 AM.
Old September 18th, 2021, 06:34 PM

Saturday's work

I got the door and trunk jams done today. It was more work than I thought becauseI had to sand the whole inside and very few flat areas. I got a coat on everything like the factory more or less. I'm hoping I can recruit my son to hang the doors and trunk tomorrow and maybe paint fenders? After that its hood and whole car. Still hoping to get this done before weather doesn't cooperate.

Base coat

more base

Beginning of clear

more clear

Old September 18th, 2021, 07:15 PM

It looks very nice Paul! Keep up the good work...
Old September 18th, 2021, 07:21 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

I'm sure you will have to regenerate fingerprints before all the sanding is complete

But what you have accomplished is phenomenal. And from your pictures quality seems first-class.

I bet once the car is painted you will gain a new sense of traction as you move toward putting things back together. That’s when the fun begins, so hang tough.
Old September 19th, 2021, 05:07 AM

Well done, it's a whole lot of work and a real test of perseverance. Gonna look awesome.
Steve
Old September 19th, 2021, 05:32 AM

Thanks gents, I'll see what today brings?
Old September 19th, 2021, 03:11 PM

wrapping up work this weekend

Well after a long day yesterday I found I didn't have a ton of energy today but I got some stuff done nevertheless. I got my kid to help hang the doors and trunk lid(painful)
After the doors were on I spent a good amount of time gapping the doors and adjusting latch. Hopefully this will be the last. The passenger side door seems to stick a little when shut and I wrestled with that for a while. It still sticks a little which pisses me off but I'll figure it out sooner or later. The trunk lid is a lot easier to bolt on but Im not pleased with the fit. I may need a trunk shim that I have from parts car and other cars but I'm not sure how exactly they are placed on the hinge? If someone has a shot of an original or an example that would be great. I then wrapped the day up with undercoating the interior to try duplicating OEM appearance. I included a couple of the before pics when I first got car and was documenting stuff followed by what I did today. Its real easy to get out of control with undercoat so I will try to control myself. (less is more)
I have quite a bit of sanding to do now on the body in prep for paint but I will probably tackle that next weekend. Once that is done I should have most of the real dirty stuff done and it will be just paint for fenders, hood and body. Hopefully next few weeks to wrap this paint job up.

Old September 19th, 2021, 03:27 PM
72 Olds CS

Your making great progress and everything is far above from the factory assembly line.

i feel your pain re gaps. The drivers side rear of my hood sits up a bit, ive wrestled w it on and off for over a year....stills sits up !!!

is the color the same as the avatar pic?
Old September 19th, 2021, 03:56 PM
Banned

Once again. This is one of my favorite threads here. Unreal work that you have done. I absolutely love the color. Good on you giving this car the love that you have.
Old September 19th, 2021, 04:31 PM

Thanks gents.
The color in the avatar isa pic of the car when I got it. the car has its original paint code 25 Astro blue. The paint has weathered or faded over 50 yrs so its not a good example but it is the astro blue. The best example of the original color was from underside of trunk lid and side cowl which matched an original paint chip I have. The PPG paint store I went to had a code 25 astro blue and the mixed me a sample which I sprayed out but it didn't match the underside that well. I then brought the whole trunk lid to the store and the guy screwed with the formula a bit until he got a pretty good match I think. Thats what I have. The pics are of the code sample then the custom color.

Spray out of the sample they gave.

Old September 19th, 2021, 06:05 PM
72 Olds CS

I see re the color. The under trunk match looks good the avatar pic looks different than astro for sure 50 years has that affect on things
Old September 20th, 2021, 05:54 AM

They did a really nice job on the match and it looks so different than the avatar, much nicer, really nice color.
Steve
Old September 20th, 2021, 06:34 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Scrappie I wouldn;t worry with that passenger side door sticking issue at the moment. I suspect when you reinstall door bumpers and rubber around the door the sticking door issue may just go away.
Old September 20th, 2021, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
They did a really nice job on the match and it looks so different than the avatar, much nicer, really nice color.
Steve
Thanks I think so too, You really have to know your colors to fine tune something in and I think he did just that. It does look different than original exterior paint due to exposure for sure but the underside of trunk tells the truth.

Scrappie I wouldn;t worry with that passenger side door sticking issue at the moment. I suspect when you reinstall door bumpers and rubber around the door the sticking door issue may just go away.
Maybe so on that, I may try switching latch out if I have an extra just to compare but not in a hurry.
Old September 21st, 2021, 06:43 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Scrappie, I want to return to the original rear brake drums you had on your car when you brought it home. I can't quite concern from your past posts if your car had bell shaped or finned rear drums? My W30 is a 3/70 build and I feel the finned drums are original to my car. PIM states either were used. There seems to have been quite a past debate on this subject.
Old September 21st, 2021, 06:55 AM
72 Olds CS

Tnswt

i just noticed is your car also astro blue?
Old September 21st, 2021, 07:01 AM

Yes, this has been debated in the past. My car had the finned rear drums which I believe to be original. I wont lose sleep over that one.
Old September 21st, 2021, 07:13 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Tnswt

i just noticed is your car also astro blue?
This is true

Quick Reply: 1970 W-30 4 spd coming back to life