The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2021, 11:05 AM

Yeah. Owls, hawks, and ravens.
Old December 27th, 2021, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yeah. Owls, hawks, and ravens.
I'd seen hawks, crows, turkeys, and even a turkey vulture, but never an owl, it really surprised me.
Old December 27th, 2021, 11:57 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Overcast but warm today. There must be rain in the area because it's rather humid. Well, as long as it isn't here.

Good day at work. We're going on the premise that there isn't any targeted number, we're just doing as much as we can each day so we can get out early Thursday. I myself did around 40. Got my good wall guy back.

I never understood why birds get hit by cars. They can fly over the top of them. If a bird is in a tree on one side of the road, and wants to be in a tree on the other side of the road, it won't just fly over to the other tree. It has to take a flying leap and swoop down low and then fly up to the second tree. Perhaps that's why we call people birdbrains.

Not getting the cigar bit.

Gotta take the trash over to the house and put the can out for tomorrow. Might putter around there for awhile. I'm getting nowhere fast on this project, I need some motivation. As if two mortgages isn't enough.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.

Old December 27th, 2021, 12:02 PM

https://www.whiteowlcigar.com/
Old December 27th, 2021, 01:22 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Yes, I have seen three owls hit by moving vehicles. Two in the Ozark Mtns. of Arkansas & one in the Smoky Mts. of North Carolina. While working for the Buffalo National River (NPS), a lady called me regarding a barred owl had been hit on Rte. 7. She waited until I arrived. Its right eye was beat up bad. I took the owl to an opthamologist who had an affiliation with the NPS performing volunteer work. On another occasion with the NPS I received a call regarding another barred owl some time later. That owl had a broken wing and broken leg. I took the owl home to the old (grandfathered) home where I resided in the Ozark Mtns. The house had a very large full basement downstairs. I let the owl alone in the basement and brought it mice & birds I killed over a two month period. As it gradually got back on its feet (so-to-speak), it began flying about in the basement and after the two months I opened the garage door and away it went. The Smoky Mtns. owl was DOA.
Old December 27th, 2021, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Yes, I have seen three owls hit by moving vehicles. Two in the Ozark Mtns. of Arkansas & one in the Smoky Mts. of North Carolina. While working for the Buffalo National River (NPS), a lady called me regarding a barred owl had been hit on Rte. 7. She waited until I arrived. Its right eye was beat up bad. I took the owl to an opthamologist who had an affiliation with the NPS performing volunteer work. On another occasion with the NPS I received a call regarding another barred owl some time later. That owl had a broken wing and broken leg. I took the owl home to the old (grandfathered) home where I resided in the Ozark Mtns. The house had a very large full basement downstairs. I let the owl alone in the basement and brought it mice & birds I killed over a two month period. As it gradually got back on its feet (so-to-speak), it began flying about in the basement and after the two months I opened the garage door and away it went. The Smoky Mtns. owl was DOA.
Norm - Good on you for saving the two you did, I love seeing those birds!
Old December 27th, 2021, 02:22 PM

One time years ago I was following the wife on a 2 lane country highway at 50 MPH or so and saw a mocking bird fly right into her passenger side window. It stayed aloft, and flew away very erratically.

Back in SE Texas a co-worker hit multiple crows on his drive to work on a 60 MPH highway. They were in the road eating on a carcass and didn't fly away soon enough.

I guess sometimes birds just don't guess speeds correctly.
Old December 27th, 2021, 03:50 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
I guess sometimes birds just don't guess speeds correctly.
When I was a teenager a bird hit my motorcycle helmet while I was going about 50 mph. I had to stop & evaluate the possibility of a shart.
About 8 - 9 years ago a bird hit the windscreen of my Indian motorcycle going about 50 mph.

CONCLUSION: Birds are terrible at gauging speed of a traveling motorcycle going 50 mph.
Old December 28th, 2021, 06:56 AM
GCH

Remember one time when we drove about 110 km/h we meet a big truck and a stone hit the
helmet , man i was glad i used the Arai with a visor . When i was younger i used a open
helmet with sun goggles but i like the dark visor a lot.
Old December 28th, 2021, 08:01 AM

In all my years of riding I was only hit in the head by one bird. I was in a wooded area and only going 35 or 40 mph, it was only a small bird going across the road and it hit me on the side of my helmet. No big deal, but definitely knew it was a bird versus a large bug.

Worst occurrence was when some type of wasp or hornet stung me 3 or 4 times around my right ear before I could get stopped and get it off me. Luckily I am not allergic to them, but it still hurt like hell.
Old December 28th, 2021, 08:20 AM

Back when the ark was still drying out. I spent alot of time on the AT I had some kinda owl fly right over my head. Cool sounding

Got another dumpster coming today 2nd im 2 years, pretty soon ya won't notice the place w/o all the plunder
Old December 28th, 2021, 08:33 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Worst occurrence was when some type of wasp or hornet stung me 3 or 4 times around my right ear before I could get stopped and get it off me. Luckily I am not allergic to them, but it still hurt like hell.
Happend to me also , very nice to take off the helmet when you hear a wasp between helmet and head
What kind of helmets do you and Norm use ?? I use this :

Old December 28th, 2021, 08:52 AM
Running On Empty

In my youth I wore exclusively open-face helmets. I own three different helmets - x2 open-face and x1 full-face shield with sun-visor (Indian Brand). Indian Moto. discontinued this "exact" model, but it's the same model with a different style of sun-visor. I wear my full-face shield Indian helmet for all occasions.

I'm heading to the driving range.

Old December 28th, 2021, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Happend to me also , very nice to take off the helmet when you hear a wasp between helmet and head
What kind of helmets do you and Norm use ?? I use this :

Glenn - I own 3 different half-helmets. The Indian one in the pic is brand new and was a gift from my wife for Christmas. The one on the right has the dark retractable pull down visor that only covers the eye area. If I'm planning on a long ride I always wear the one with the visor. If/when I ever start taking multi-day, cross country trips I may purchase a full helmet, we'll see? Right now just for day trips, it's so hot here in St. Louis that the half-helmets are much more comfortable. All 3 half-helmets have zip in ear/cheek covers if it is really cold when starting out in the morning.

Old December 28th, 2021, 12:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Got another dumpster coming today...
James - I hope you didn't forget your stepson...
Old December 28th, 2021, 12:58 PM

James - I hope you didn't forget your stepson...
He can get his own. Mine has been here 4 hours and is filling rapidly
Old December 28th, 2021, 03:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Long day at work. A couple people got the croup and didn't come in. We were short-handed at every station. My guess is they saw some extra time off around New Years and made it up. The people that were there were not motivated. The lead didn't come round all day. Well, he got what he essentially asked for.

Cloudy all day but warm. Rain tomorrow. That makes it tough driving a car that sat out all night, the fog on the windows never goes away.

So I'm sitting at the table eating some meatloaf, and I see across the lake that someone is burning off the leaves in their yard. It started as a little circle and progressed into a bigger and bigger circle. Said person was sitting out there watching it. He must have had a couple of raked piles because when the fire got to them it was heavy whitish smoke that just billowed. Wouldn't you know it, I start hearing sirens. I thought, I hope they aren't going to that house. Sure enough, here comes more than two fire trucks with the lights going. I also hear another set of sirens off in the distance, coming this way. Those actually stopped and never made it. The firemen were out walking all around the house and the yard, and made the person put out the remaining fire. Most of it was done anyway. That was probably only about a thousand bucks in fuel right there, it's only money.

When I rode I had an open 3/4 helmet and I wore safety glasses. Never thought about a bee getting into the helmet. I do know one thing, rain hurts.

I was tired at work all day, so we're going to bed early tonight. I didn't go in early, I didn't sleep real well. Add to that the amber alert went off around 1230. That always scares the hell out of Tiger, and myself, and they always send it in the middle of the night. I can tell you one thing, there is zero chance of me seeing any vehicle when I'm in bed sleeping. Guess what got turned off as soon as I got to work.

Okay, we skip Hump Day this week, as tomorrow is Friday Eve. Not looking like an early out Thursday. Eh, who cares I don't need to be anywhere.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 28th, 2021, 05:51 PM

Working three days this week, giving myself two long weekends on either end. Between xmas and New Years is paid shut down time, but we never shut down, and that means 3x pay for any days worked. Could have worked xmas right through New Years, but it's good to relax once in awhile.
Old December 28th, 2021, 07:55 PM

I'm running on my 16th day on the clock straight, been pulling 14s since Christmas Eve.
Old December 29th, 2021, 03:13 AM

Mike, I learned along time ago not to keep a phone in my bedroom. If someone calls in the middle of the night, it can only be 2 things

1] someone has died and they are going to be just as dead in the morning

or

2] Someone is in jail and I would be joining the if I went to get them out
Old December 29th, 2021, 03:29 AM
Running On Empty

James - Can you fix my fat-finger typing error in the thread title, please?
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...6/#post1393507
Old December 29th, 2021, 03:30 AM
Running On Empty

Mike, I learned along time ago not to keep a phone in my bedroom. If someone calls in the middle of the night, it can only be 2 things
1] someone has died and they are going to be just as dead in the morning
or
2] Someone is in jail and I would be joining the if I went to get them out
Or, your auto warranty is about to expire....
Old December 29th, 2021, 03:59 AM

James - Can you fix my fat-finger typing error in the thread title, please?
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...6/#post1393507

Norm, It won't let me edit the title, Perhaps another mod knows more than I do [ make that definitely not perhaps]
Old December 29th, 2021, 05:49 AM
GCH

In my youth I wore exclusively open-face helmets. I own three different helmets - x2 open-face and x1 full-face shield with sun-visor (Indian Brand). Indian Moto. discontinued this "exact" model, but it's the same model with a different style of sun-visor. I wear my full-face shield Indian helmet for all occasions.

I'm heading to the driving range.

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glenn - I own 3 different half-helmets. The Indian one in the pic is brand new and was a gift from my wife for Christmas. The one on the right has the dark retractable pull down visor that only covers the eye area. If I'm planning on a long ride I always wear the one with the visor. If/when I ever start taking multi-day, cross country trips I may purchase a full helmet, we'll see? Right now just for day trips, it's so hot here in St. Louis that the half-helmets are much more comfortable. All 3 half-helmets have zip in ear/cheek covers if it is really cold when starting out in the morning.

Nice helmets Chris and Norm , these are some old helmets i have used long time ago , i like the Arai helmet because
i have tinnitus in my ears so this helmet take away the wind noise good so i don´t need earplugs.

Originally Posted by slantflat
When I rode I had an open 3/4 helmet and I wore safety glasses. Never thought about a bee getting into the helmet. I do know one thing, rain hurts.

I was tired at work all day, so we're going to bed early tonight. I didn't go in early, I didn't sleep real well. Add to that the amber alert went off around 1230. That always scares the hell out of Tiger, and myself, and they always send it in the middle of the night. I can tell you one thing, there is zero chance of me seeing any vehicle when I'm in bed sleeping. Guess what got turned off as soon as I got to work.
Yes Mike rain hurts a lot , and larger bugs . I use the setting "don´t disturbe" in my cellphone so only our family can reach us.
No other call or text coming thru. But you maybe ment a cord phone ?

Old December 29th, 2021, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Nice helmets Chris and Norm , these are some old helmets i have used long time ago , i like the Arai helmet because
i have tinnitus in my ears so this helmet take away the wind noise good so i don´t need earplugs.

Yes Mike rain hurts a lot , and larger bugs . I use the setting "don´t disturbe" in my cellphone so only our family can reach us.
No other call or text coming thru. But you maybe ment a cord phone ?
Glenn - Looks like you've got just about every style/type helmet covered there, 1/2, 3/4, and full. I can understand why you would like the Arai with the tinnitus in your ears.
Old December 29th, 2021, 06:13 AM

Old December 29th, 2021, 06:17 AM

James - I hope you wear that when you're riding around on your ATV's or driving your tractor!
Old December 29th, 2021, 06:30 AM

Good morning guys,

Pretty chilly here, 36° at 0830, supposed to be overcast and rain on and off throughout the day, beats snow and ice though.

I'm getting lazier, or smarter, or both. Got an appointment to get the oil changed in the daily driver at 1030 at my regular mechanic's place which is only about 5-minutes down the road from me. If I supply the oil and filter, he only charges me a whopping $20. It's not worth jacking the car up and crawling around on the cold ground for that.

No other big plans for today.. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 29th, 2021, 07:35 AM
Always room for one more

Here you go Chris, you need one of these.

Jamesbo I hope you wear that helmet to town. Maybe when you get your Jeep.

Plenty of wheels this morning, and plenty of lethargisism. I think I just made that word up. Almost lunch.

Old December 29th, 2021, 07:51 AM

Here you go Chris, you need one of these.
Mike - Yep, would sure like to have one of those! Seriously considered a 4-post one. Maybe someday, but no better a mechanic than I am, doubt that I'd use it enough to justify the cost??? We'll see?
Old December 29th, 2021, 03:51 PM

I'm running on my 16th day on the clock straight, been pulling 14s since Christmas Eve.
I'm too old for that ****, use to work non stop at the paper mill as the machines never quit running. When I first started there, I was commenting on my 11th day in a row of work, a long timer replied "I'm on my 22nd day". Koda, are you working 14hr shifts? If so, daaamn!
Old December 29th, 2021, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I'm too old for that ****, use to work non stop at the paper mill as the machines never quit running. When I first started there, I was commenting on my 11th day in a row of work, a long timer replied "I'm on my 22nd day". Koda, are you working 14hr shifts? If so, daaamn!
I think I have you boys beat, if you can call it that. Leading up to, and through the 1st Gulf War (Desert Shield & Desert Storm) I worked 12-hour days, 7-days a week, for 6-months! The only day we got off during this period was Christmas Day, 1990. I had a similar work schedule during the first 4-months immediately after 9/11. Neither was a fun time.
Old December 30th, 2021, 02:30 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Went to bed extremely early last night, got up extremely early this morning. Slept great. Feel great. I haven't felt this good in years.

Chris I'm not a fan of two post lifts. For one, I'm always afraid they will tip over. For two, I find it hard to get the car centered, and then the driver's door always seems to open right into the post. My lift goes up through the ceiling and is attached to a beam in the attic. It isn't going over any time soon. As for the door opening into the post, I'll just have to lose some weight. It was nice having the car off the ground and not laying on my back to do the oil change.

Years ago when I worked in the hangar we were doing interior mods on the MD11. I was on a 12 hour crew and we worked several weeks without a day off. Me and a buddy were on one side, and two friends of ours were on the other 12 hour side. We'd turn over/pick up from each other every day. Our lead was on his regular 8 hour afternoon shift, and the dayshift leads didn't want anything to do with us. We put a cramp in their style I guess. I would start work at 3, go to breakfast for an hour or better around 8, have lunch at 11, turn over at 3 and then hit the bar. Did that every day. Needless to say I was a lot younger then. Now, saying that isn't to boast that I got away with **** at work, or that I drank a lot, but to say that long days don't have to be torture. In fact we got an enormous amount of work done and our crew helped get the whole project done ahead of schedule.

Gee, after an hour and a half things are picking up. We should be done by 8. Hope everyone has a good morning.

Old December 30th, 2021, 04:24 AM

I was really considering a 2 post lift for my shop. Problem is I have a low ceiling. But it still would be nice to lift entire car even if only to take off wheels. Anyway I also thought (just looking at ad pics) that car would be unstable and maybe fall over. Then I found that the feet are anchored in the concrete. The threaded expanding anchors are left in concrete floor and feet are bolted to anchors with 1/2" bolts. Then when you're done you remove bolts and can put hoist away somewhere. I remember installing those concrete anchors and they are fine when cinched up and never loosened- usually- if concrete is good... mounting grinder stands, etc. But if you loosen them up and remove what was mounted, maybe 50% of the time the anchor gets loose and won't work again. Then it won't cinch up. Now if you were pouring a new floor and put in a big steel plate with threaded holes that might be OK. I don't know the thickness or strength of my concrete, I do know that a second floor was poured over existing cow stalls or something (really used to be a small farm) So I guess I'll stay with jack and jack stands- yeah a PIA..... How ya guys doin' today??
Old December 30th, 2021, 04:30 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
How ya guys doin' today??
Massage Therapy @ 9:00 am
Old December 30th, 2021, 04:56 AM

Good morning everyone.

Chris I'm not a fan of two post lifts. For one, I'm always afraid they will tip over. For two, I find it hard to get the car centered, and then the driver's door always seems to open right into the post. My lift goes up through the ceiling and is attached to a beam in the attic. It isn't going over any time soon. As for the door opening into the post, I'll just have to lose some weight. It was nice having the car off the ground and not laying on my back to do the oil change.
Mike - I am not a fan of 2-post lifts either for the same reasons you mentioned, but if it was well constructed and came with the house, like yours, it sure would be a nice extra!

When I worked the "crisis" scenario schedules I mentioned above, we had two 15-minute breaks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and a 1/2-hour lunch, that was it. When I was in college, I was fortunate enough to get a summer job working in the Kelloggs factory in Battle Creek, which was really good pay because it was Union work. If you needed the money for school, that was the place every kid hoped they could get into, which you weren't going to do unless you knew someone. My Mom was the Head Nurse in their employee health center, my Aunt was the Executive Assistant to the CEO, and I had 2 Uncles that worked there. The downside of working there was we had absolutely no control over our schedule, and summer help almost exclusively worked 2nd (3-11) or 3rd (11-7) shifts. Generally, summer help worked 7-days a week, until 1 or more lines would shut down for clean-up, then you might get a day off here or there. If you wanted to, you could usually pull a double shift during the week days if you wanted to, and you would get time and a half for the 2nd 8-hour shift. We got time and a half on Saturdays, double time on Sundays, and triple time on Holidays. Most weeks I would try to work doubles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. So, during a 7-day week, I would get in 5 shifts at regular rate, 3 at time and a half, and 1 double time. A small fortune was to be made if you really wanted to, but at the end of the summer it made you appreciate being able to go back to school!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 30th, 2021 at 05:02 AM.
Old December 30th, 2021, 05:29 AM

Like a cow on a flat rock down ere
Old December 30th, 2021, 05:32 AM

Good morning guys,

Cool at 40° and very, very foggy at 0700. Supposed to get up to about 50° today, and 63° during the day on New Year's Eve. Saturday night into Sunday morning the temp's supposed to drop down to 12°, with a high of only 26° on Sunday. At least there's no moisture along with the cold air that's coming.

No plans for New Year's Eve other than watching the College Football Playoff semi-final games that are on New Year's Eve. I'll be rooting on my Wolverines when they play Georgia in one of those games Friday evening.

I never posted any pics of our dog's Christmas. They each got 4 presents, the same 4 for each pup. The pics are of their favorite new toy, which they are constantly fighting over despite the fact there are two of them that are exactly identical. It sure is entertaining to watch them though, we've seen some great tug-of-wars!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Old December 30th, 2021, 07:45 AM

Chris, Everyone looks like they're feeling better. Who won?
Old December 30th, 2021, 07:57 AM
Always room for one more

Well, I was only off by a couple hours. We left at 10. It's been raining at the airport and we really must have had a gully-washer here in the Greater Stockbridge Area, because the lake is up into the back yard. Tiger was downstairs when I got home, so there must have been some thunder. Thunder doesn't bother him when I'm home but when I'm gone he gets a little on edge.

Well it continues. "Someone" called the yard ****'s on me again. I'm very sure it's the next door neighbors. They complained about the fence that goes across the pavement, blocking my yard. The pavement is a defunct turnaround where houses were supposed to be built. It never happened. Many years ago the guy that lived there asked the county if he could put up a fence/gate to keep people out of there. It was close to his house and the strangers were causing trouble. The county allowed it. Fast forward 40 years and this is the first complaint about it. My neighbor would be the only one to know about it, because I told him and gave him a key to the lock. Also the code clowns went snooping around and gigged several of the cars, which the last code guy said were fine, FIVE MONTHS AGO. I'm going to meet them over there this afternoon. Everything with them is a fight. I mentioned the previous guy and they acted like I was talking a foreign language. I know damn well they looked up the last guy and knew exactly what I was talking about. They are police officer washouts and are trying to be tough. I've had it.

I'm gonna end up selling that house. They are not at the house but being across the street, and still owning the other property, it isn't going to end with these asshats. Today the fence. Next it will be that the place hasn't been mowed in 40 years. Then it will be the cars again. Then it will be the broken down hangar missing half its roof. All of it none of his business. I've had that here with the asshat that lives next door. None of it is civic duty. It's him being pissed off because years ago when I was president of the homeowners association he screwed around on the lake and caused trouble and I pushed the issue. It will never end with him, it will never end with the asshat at the other place. I had the right idea in the first place moving out of this God-forsaken county. That's my rant for the day. Well, for now. I might have another one later.

Okay gonna get into some things. It's early enough it feels like a day off. Hope everyone has a good day.