The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2021, 12:32 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
...mowing centipede at 1.75”...
James - Inaccurate information. I just finished mowing & noted my cut height is 1.50"
I've been mowing the entire summer @ 1.50" - I forgot. I have to mow more often but the centipede likes the low height cut and it makes the lawn feel more like a carpet. I don't have an irrigation system, so I'm dependent on rainfall. I've been fortunately as of late (the past three weeks) since we've received a pleasant normal amount of rainfall. Centipede grows fast in the right conditions & tolerates rainfall quite well, but should it dry out it quickly turns brown. Very drought intolerant species.
Old September 1st, 2021, 03:23 PM
Running On Empty

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike......

Old September 1st, 2021, 03:31 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful here. I went out at lunchtime and it was absolutely gorgeous. No rain, and I think that's going to be a thing for the next couple days anyway.

Greg that looks beautiful up that way, and the cabin looks very cozy. Safe trip back. Don't come back too soon. I wouldn't want to leave, except I know it's going to snow soon.

Norm is the wall set up so you can add to it at a later time? The stained gate looks nice but I sort of like the look of the wall "oh natur-al."

Work was, work. We slugged along all day, after last break we came to a stop. We didn't have the tires we needed. Then we got the tires and no one was wanting to go back to work. The lead keeps telling us we need to do well this week because we are off Monday. He never gives us an or else. I mean, what if we didn't get everything done? My guess is nothing would happen. The airplanes are allowed 10 take offs and landings with a tire showing cord, and that's a couple days work for one of our planes, I think we'd be okay. Besides there's no accountability in our shop. Eh, just the lead spouting off.

Okay gonna hit the sack in a minute. I get to where I can't stay awake after lunch, and I like going in early for overtime but sometimes I just don't feel it. I'm sure getting less than 6 hours sleep a night, as well as getting up in the middle of the night, doesn't help things. I had a college professor once who said if you sleep more than 5 hours a night you're wasting your time. Huh.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Norm the phone dinged and said you left a message. I'll see it in a minute.

Old September 1st, 2021, 03:34 PM
Always room for one more

Ah I could have guessed. Thanks Norm. Do you think the camel is really walking through the office or is that movie magic?

The Three Stooges comes up after the video. Perhaps apropos.

Old September 1st, 2021, 03:35 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I didn't call you - intentionally. If it was me it was a butt call.
Old September 1st, 2021, 03:37 PM
Always room for one more

No Norm, you see when someone posts on a forum I've been on, the forum sends me an email. When I get an email, the phone dings to let me know. The phone dinged and I looked at it and it said Vintage Chief has posted. If you would have called me, the phone would have played a sound it says sounds like a race car(it doesn't sound like a race car). And it would have said "Norm."

Old September 1st, 2021, 03:42 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - The phone dinged & it meant there was an email message and it said it was Norm. Now, I get it.
Old September 1st, 2021, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - I agree - that's a very cozy place you have there - I like it. Be certain you're eating at least one Maine lobster per day - maybe two or three per day.
Old September 1st, 2021, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

The airplanes are allowed 10 take offs and landings with a tire showing cord, and that's a couple days work for one of our planes, I think we'd be okay. Besides there's no accountability in our shop.
Mike - You're definitely not giving me a "warm fuzzy" about commercial airline safety maintenance! Ten takeoffs and landings with a tire that has cord showing, WTH!
Old September 1st, 2021, 04:25 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I like the natural wood color, as well; but they’re getting stained with same Australian Timber stain as the gate. There are many manners/methods to extend the fence. You have already seen how I attached the new fence to an existing gate brick column. There is no one residing in this house who would ever entertain such an idea I can assure you.
Old September 1st, 2021, 04:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is a good thing it is 10 takeoffs and not 9 landings. The landings have to be a lot tougher on the tire than a takeoff.
Old September 1st, 2021, 05:08 PM

While y'all are butt calling one another. I found a JD 3032 E with a front end loader , I'm gonna check out in the morning
Old September 1st, 2021, 05:30 PM
Running On Empty

James - Are you bringing a trailer?
Old September 1st, 2021, 05:34 PM

James - Are you bringing a trailer?
No, I'm gonna go look, ask them to throw in a tiller and see what happens.

Only 500 hours, still; trying to fugue out why someone who trade with so few hours

:We'll see [ quote from Charlie Wilson's war]
Old September 1st, 2021, 05:42 PM
Running On Empty

500 hrs would be a ton of hours if it were a 2021. How about you tell us the year so we can make some sense out of 500 hours?
Old September 1st, 2021, 05:45 PM
Running On Empty

I’ve seen two 2021 3032E for sale. One with 28 hours for $20K located in TN.
Old September 1st, 2021, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

Sounds like a tough little tractor with 26hp
Old September 1st, 2021, 05:54 PM

Good evening guys,
Really nice day today, sunny and about 82. Would have been a great day to ride if I hadn't had to do allmthat running this morning. Got my mowing done this afternoon though. The extended forecast is showing low 80's now for the next 2-weeks, WooHoo!

There are several car events, cruises and shows, over the long holiday weekend. I'm planning on making it to a couple of them, although I haven't decided which ones yet. Saturday is looking like a definite washout as far as any that were advertised for that day.

Annual physical tomorrow morning. Not worried about that, although it will be weird having a new doc for the 1st time in +30-years. Only thing that's a PIA is I have to go to a specific lab collection site for my blood draw and urine collection. If I have the labs drawn and processed at a Quest site they are free with my insurance plan.

James - Hope the tractor turns out to be a good value, good luck!

Hope everyone has a great evening!

Old September 1st, 2021, 05:57 PM
Running On Empty

My bad. It has 32hp I guess. That’s a lot of hp for the size tractor. You looking at a 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive?
Old September 1st, 2021, 06:05 PM
Running On Empty

https://www.farmcountrytrader.com/de...32e-/12519328/
Old September 1st, 2021, 06:18 PM

4 wheel, BUT I'm just looking

ya gotta kiss alot of frogs to meet a Prince.

Or as my grandfather used to say, ' If ya get a bargain ya might get the clap"
Old September 1st, 2021, 06:49 PM

Mike, it sounds like you're an aircraft mechanic, I got a story from a bud who worked ComAir.

Apparently, one can flunk a plane 5 times on out of commission lavatory till it's grounded, or so he said, and Cincinnati would send them planes at Lexington with plugged ******** on their last check. Small plane, you put on the big glove and either reach down the tank, or up the drain pipe after you opened the external door, and used a hose with the connector to open the other valve, turned it on, then reach up there and pull it out and hope you don't get shitty time. Big planes, you couldn't reach the middle of the drain pipe, so issues occurred.

Solution was to leave the pipe propped open with a cheater adapter, go out on the tarmac, run some engines up, and pressurize the plane. Eventually <poooof!>, your ears pop, blue spray everywhere, and the lav is clear. Return to the gate.

So one day, this plane comes in, cannot go again cause of plugged *******, and they want that thing FIXED as it is at the gate and it needs to fly. So his buddies call, they can't get it clear, it's hooked to the ramp truck, and people are waiting to board. They're like, what do we do, and not thinking, someone who knows quietly says "pressurize the plane" and had to repeat himself. That guy didn't know they were at the gate, with people around, and the ramp truck hooked up. So the clueless guys pressurize the plane, and it clears it straight into the ramp truck and all the air and the diaper or whatever it was, blast the blue juice out the top of the ramp truck's tank vents like a sprinkler and hoses down two planes, a bunch of luggage, everyone out there working, and was a massive spectacle to everyone at the gate's windows.

I guess they hosed it down then went flying.

I have no idea if the above story is even partially true, but I was entertained for a 30 min epic telling of it by a bored Scotsman on break in the sweaty hell of a plant we were kitting out in Mississippi.
Old September 1st, 2021, 07:21 PM

Factual or otherwise, that tale produced much merriment.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 09:34 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
While y'all are butt calling one another. I found a JD 3032 E with a front end loader , I'm gonna check out in the morning
Anxiously awaiting consensus of the check out.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 09:53 AM

Jury duty amended, off with pay for the day. I called H.R. to let them know that I could come in this afternoon, they said well, we won't stop you if want to, but you can take the day off with pay, and bring the slip from the courthouse tomorrow. I decided not to argue. Mild weather, low humidity, very nice. I'll cut the grass.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 09:59 AM

Anxiously awaiting consensus of the check out.
2016 with bucket 550 hours has a small, oil leak at valve cover

Still giving it some thought

If they'd throw in a tiller, I be on it like white on rice

Old September 2nd, 2021, 02:03 PM

2016 with bucket 550 hours has a small, oil leak at valve cover

Still giving it some thought

If they'd throw in a tiller, I be on it like white on rice
James - The JD looks to be in pretty good shape. I honestly don't know if ~130-hours/yr is high for a unit that size or not. Did they have any history on it, was it used residential or for commercial use? Did you ask them about throwing in a tiller, or at the least giving you a substantial discount on one? Good luck deciding what you want to do!
Old September 2nd, 2021, 02:16 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Really pretty day today, sunny, low humidty, and a high of 81. May go out for a short ride here in a little while. My physical went fine, the new doc said I'm in great shape, just keep doing what I'm doing. Now it's just waiting for the labs to come back.

Wondering if Greg was still on the East Coast when Ida moved up into Maine, or whether he was already on his way back and had already gotten westward of northern New England and eastern Pennsylvania, and the flooding and devastation that has occurred there? Bad news!

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old September 2nd, 2021, 02:22 PM
Running On Empty

James - If the engine checks out good (aside from the small valve cover leak); my three areas of evaluation would be: (1) Hydraulics [run it through its paces]; (2) PTO assembly; & (3) Transmission [run it through its paces]. I hope you enjoy evaluating the most likely several various tractors as you move forward w/ a purchase.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I suspect Greg has been keeping a watchful eye on Ida flooding. The Northern edge of that system is moving Eastward into the Atlantic right between Portland & Bangor. I'm curious (as well) if they're hunkered-in or have already departed. Hopefully worse case scenario is they had to shoot straight West out of Maine to return to MI - should be dry conditions in that regard.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 02:43 PM

Chris, it rained almost all night last night. They said it was the remnants of Ida. Clearing up today.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, it rained almost all night last night. They said it was the remnants of Ida. Clearing up today.
Greg - Glad to hear you guys are doing OK! When are you guys heading back? Wondering if you might have to do some alternate return route planning due to all the flooding south and west of where you're at right now? Good luck!
Old September 2nd, 2021, 04:35 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out, I mean really gorgeous. Temps are low, which is terrific after the blistering heat we've had. It also signals the beginning of fall, which isn't far off.

Jamesbo good luck with your negotiating. If I was smart I would have bought one of those for less money than I paid for the smaller tractor, and then bought the backhoe later on. But I had to have the end loader and the backhoe immediately. Guess what. I have yet to use the backhoe 6 years later.

Chris glad the physical went well. Did the doctor ask you silly questions to find out if you were mentally deficient?

Koda I am indeed an airplane mechanic. I gave up the glorious role of midnight line mechanic and now fly a desk on the dayshift. Every piece of the airplane has limits to which it's allowed to degrade, or remain on the hook. Some parts can be deferred quite awhile and some parts are no-go items. Apparently the lav in question was allowed 5 flights to be inop, then it had to be fixed. While it's true if the lav is plugged you can pressurize the plane to attempt to dislodge the obstruction, I've never heard of leaving the trap open and letting it blast out onto the ramp. At the risk of sounding like some mechanical-minded prima dona, that's what the lesser airline people would do. Mainly because of disdain for their company. There would be more to it than that, though, as there's a barrier inside the plane, in the tank itself, as well as the trap door on the outside of the plane. Would take a few people to coordinate that. What we would do is put on the cow birthing gloves and start fishing.

As for the tires, airplane tires are quite thick and have several layers between the tread and the main body of the tire. The top layer of cord is really inconsequential and many airlines let the tire wear past it. We have a deal with the tire manufacturers that once cord is showing, we take it off and send it back to be recapped. I won't get into the recapping bit. Since the first layer of cord isn't going to harm anything, the tire is allowed 10 take offs and landings, that's just how it's worded in the maintenance manual, in order to insure it can get to a maintenance station to be changed. It's a contractual thing with us, purely financial.

Found another Valiant to go check out this weekend. Also want to go see a diesel pickup. Funny all these cars are popping up now, last week was one year since I bought anything. I guess I need to make up for lost time. The diesel truck is a maybe, the Valiant is for sure depending on how much I can convince the seller that his price is waaay out of line for a car that's been sitting for decades and rusted completely out. My interest in this car is the factory air conditioning bits and the power steering.

Okay bedtime. Two more for me, I'm working Saturday. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old September 2nd, 2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Glad the physical went well. Did the doctor ask you silly questions to find out if you were mentally deficient?
Thanks Mike. No silly questions from the doc. Pretty sure he could tell I was mentally deficient with the first words that came out of my mouth!
Old September 3rd, 2021, 04:52 AM

Chris, The "Story" the salesman told me The previous owner only used it to clean out his chicken houses . He bought so more land and needed a bigger tractor
Old September 3rd, 2021, 05:03 AM

James - Sounds like the type of usage for the JD was middle of the road between full blown commercial and gentleman farmer.
Old September 3rd, 2021, 05:08 AM

Hi guys, we are leaving Sunday about 9 am, then going west to Mt Washington, then to Lebanon NH overnight. Then south to south coast of Rhode Island, Connecticut, west into NY. Then eventually back to Mich, maybe 2 more nights, we'll see. I don't think there is any flooding in our path. Having a great time here, renting a cabin is a great idea, gives you a place to settle some and leave and return to. Also cheaper. Motels here are expensive, when I went to Indiana and another trip to Kentucky rooms were about $80.00 (for a cheaper no frills place), but out east around here they're $140-150. Almost double. But we have saved money on food as we eat breakfast and usually lunch at cabin or out of our cooler. We've had lobstah only once so far... It's great but I wouldn't want it all the time. We are supposta have 4 Lobstahs brought to us from directly out of the bay in front of us from they guys who work it today. Wifey plans to cook them for dinner tonight, should be great. Last night we stopped at a Oyster Farm and got some and had some Oyster stew at the cabin - YUM!
Dan, are you planning to go to the street rod nationals in Kalamazoo? I think on Sept. 11? I may go still need some parts for my F100, they may have some of that type stuff.
Old September 3rd, 2021, 05:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Breaktime here in the Wheel and Brake shop. I just wanted to log in real quick and give Koda an apology.

A guy that used to work in the shop stopped by and he was telling us he had a 737 he was doing an overnight check on, and one of the write ups was the aft lav was clogged. He said he pressurized the plane and let it purge right out on the ramp. I just shook my head. Luckily they were at the hangar and just hosed off the ramp into the grass. But still. So Koda I'm sorry I put on airs.

Jamesbo you should have asked how many chicken houses that guy had. You know they are 500 feet long.

Chris I went to the doctor once and he started asking me, what type of building is this? Who is the president? What year is it? I said, what the hell is wrong with you. He said people in the early stages of dementia can seem totally normal but sometimes can't answer a simple question. So they ask these questions and if the otherwise normal seeming person stumbles over them or gives the wrong answer, they look deeper into the possibility of dementia.

Greg that sounds like an awesome time. It would be better in your convertible. Way up there the leaves are probably starting to turn already.

Okay a couple more minutes and it's back to the grind of sitting at a desk. Oh like I'm doing now. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old September 3rd, 2021, 07:09 AM

I often wonder what ever happened to people who asked me for directions
Old September 3rd, 2021, 07:21 AM

I often wonder what ever happened to people who asked me for directions
James - Interesting thought? I know one thing, if you try to give directions to young folks, don't use foreign terms like north, south, east, or west, you'll just get the deer in the headlights stare! They seem totally incapable of understanding the concept of determing compass directions based on where they're at geographically and time of day. Without a working GPS, they're clueless!
Addition: Sorry for the stereotyping, it's just my honest observation, applies to my adult girls too.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 3rd, 2021 at 08:26 AM.