The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2019, 05:10 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Allan R
Old May 22nd, 2019, 02:41 AM

mawn'in

I musta had the best Opal Rallye ever produced. It's been a while but I wanta say 109 h.p. Can't recall the heater but it had 2 round air vents in the dash for 'Fresh" [read hot] air and the seat was one piece so to get in the back the whole thing flipped forward and rested on the dash

Mike, I burned up I-20 east going from Atlanta to Emory at Oxford [adjacent to Covington, Ga] took it hunting and fishing all over creation [and of course Wenching] It died an untimely death when [oddly enough] I swapped cars with this "bimbo de jour" and drover her 69 442 while she drove the Opal into a tree

I wanta say the worst car I ever had was an Audi Fox

What I know about the properties of metal wouldn't fill a thimble but I wish y'all would keep these discussion civil........................ Real Olds Power is GWTW

Have a great day Olds friends
Old May 22nd, 2019, 06:16 AM

At one time the wife and I owned the 2 most recalled cars of the era, 1980 Pontiac Phoenix and 1977 Plymouth Volare. It's funny though I consider both to be great cars. The early FWD X bodies had problems with the seals where the axle shafts slid into the transaxles. This was a real problem for automatics as the car wouldn't move if you lost enough ATF. Mine was a stick. I wouldn't park it where the leaking oil would cause a problem and every time I changed the oil I would fill up the transaxle with the used engine oil- worked! Actually the recall on the Phoenix was about the rear brakes which I didn't have a problem with. Got 200.000 miles out of that car with still the original clutch. That was unusual to get 200K out of a car in those days. The Volare recall problem was the rusty front fenders which I think were replaced before we got it. It was a great car with the slant six and Torqueflight trans.
Another rainy day today. I have no motivation to get boat out as about all that will accomplish is to let it get rained on and messed up. They say it's supposed to be a hot summer... I say bring it on! Have a good one all!
Old May 22nd, 2019, 06:26 AM

I was also just thinking, I think the worst vehicle I had was a 1984 S10 extended cab pickup with 2.8 V6. I bought it cheap with a broken crank. Put a reground crank kit in it and lasted 25K then broke crank again. Had engine rebuilt by a reputable local shop, went 50K and broke crank again. Shop gave me another crank kit which I installed and sold truck. I told buyer all about the issue and history. Yep sure enough about 3 months later the buyer called me and it did it again. I actually believe that engine was never right from the beginning- Maybe the block wasn't right.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 06:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Greg - Add 1976 Chevette to the group of cars that don't stack up.

Jim - You got the better of the two cars. Jess be glad it wasn't the 78 Aeroback 442

Marc - My Sonata and Malibu also sit outside in the elements all year long. Two things I like about the Malibu better in the winter is it has cloth seats and remote start. I've thought about taking them into the downtown parkade after a winter splash and dash to thoroughly dry out and normalize, but the cost of parking down there has become outrageous.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:44 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another slow day at work. Neither of the leads were there today so of course the asshats horsed around all day. I don't care, I signed a rather large amount of wheels and left at 230. No way was I going to stay without the lead. They will both be back tomorrow.

Jamesbo I'm sure glad I didn't stay up last night. What a let-down. Twice.

As far as lemon-flavored cars, my Dad drove Matador wagons as company cars, and they were breaking down all the time. I spent a lot of time with him at the AMC place by our house. We would travel with him over the summer and I can think of more than once being broke down on the side of the interstate. No cellphones, so guess how we got help. The CB radio. I remember when the Pacer came out, I thought that was the greatest car ever. I was 9. I tried without success to get my Dad to buy a Pacer. I built plastic model Pacers. I had pictures put up in my bedroom. And you know what, after such a deep affection for it I've never owned, nor driven, nor ridden in one. Weird. Today, they are all but non-existent. I think Jaunty's 2% rule would be generous.

Not sure what to do this afternoon. Don't think I have it in me to mow, maybe I'll just putter around in the house and go to bed early. Tomorrow is AMT Day, and the lead said if -everyone- comes in at 4 we can go to the shindig and not have to come back. Now that's some incentive. We'll see who all shows. I gotta do the inspection thing tomorrow, so I guess I can do whatever I want. Those guys don't care.

Okay gonna go do something. It's sunny and about 100 out.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 02:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - I remember the Pacer too. My neighbor (Doreen) bought one new out of the showroom. Hers was a shade of blue with matching blue interior. I also thought it was kind of cool; definitely different from everything else on the market. At first I thought it looked a lot like an oversized turtle. It had tons of headroom too! When Doreen split with her husband she and the Pacer disappeared. Those cars had such huge glass areas they must have been wonderful for the driver, but a nightmare to insure for glass.
Hers looked a lot like this
Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:49 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Hello Guys:
I haven't been here in a couple days. I took my wife to the neurologist yesterday and that consumed a good portion of the day. She is having another MRI and an MRA which is a test of the arteries from the heat to the brain. More to come. Test are next week.
I went and got the big trailer today after Lucy and I had our morning walk. I went and picked up two yards of dirt for flower beds and to cover the roots of my oak tree in the front yard before I put the sod down. I moved about half of it into the flower beds with the wheel barrow. I think I may have to get another yard to cover the roots of he oak tree. It is starting to get warm but not in the 90's yet. Now we will see if I can get out of bed in the morning.
I remember when the Pacer came out and I believe they advertised it as the wide car. It was one of those things you either hated or loved. I knew a guy that had one and he said the car eventually just fell apart. I can't remember how many years it has been since I saw one. Long time. My brother actually had a 76 Volare wagon and a Vega wagon at the same time. I thing he eventually donated the Vega.
That is about all I have this afternoon. My old 72 year old butt is dragging a little.
Have a good evening guys.
Glenn
Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:57 PM
Running On Empty

Competition is going to get tough for you James.

Turning loved ones into soil? Washington becomes first state to allow human composting

Washington poised to become first state to allow eco-friendly 'human composting'

Old May 22nd, 2019, 06:46 PM
Oh no, not again...

I notice I forgot English cars; - most anything built by British Leyland was absolutely awful. The Rover with the V-8 wasn't too bad, because they bought that engine from Buick. It's the 215 that was also used in early Cutlass.

A friend of mine told me once the only reason they wound up in Alberta was because that's where their brand-new 1967 Rambler station wagon packed it in for the second time on a cross-Canada trip. They came from northern Quebec, where they bought this thing, and they had to have the engine rebuilt in Winnipeg, and again in Edmonton. His father then had to find a job because Rambler wouldn't pay for the whole works and essentially left them stranded. He flogged that piece of crap until 1977 when it finally dissolved. It actually broke in two and blew out all the glass when it was winched onto a flatbed.

Glenn, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's illness, must be very stressful. Best wishes for her recovery.

Greg, - I forgot about the Volare. My brother in law had one, he used up all my used oil, all 20 gallons of it. Saved me a trip to the eco-station that summer, and he killed a lot of mosquitoes with it.

Jamesbo, Just ask a German how "Fox" is pronounced, and it'll sound like something that goes on in a bordello, which I'm sure was what Audi had in mind when they built that thing. And, there's no such thing as a good Opel Rallye, or the GT for that matter. That was the car where the Vega engine actually came from. I think the proper term would be "Scheisshaufen". (you can run it through google...)

Mike, Too funny...brings back a lot of old memories...nothing worse than standing beside a dead car and not being able to do anything about it. The old instinct was to at least look under the hood at all the greasy shapes and make the wife believe you knew what you were talking about. That's what my dad used to do, he was cursed when it came to cars, it didn't matter what he bought he always got the lemon of the bunch. The last time he did that the problem was actually simple, the coil wire had arced and burned through. He of course came back in and came up with some cockamamie story that the alternator had quit. I noticed it right away when I was standing there watching him move stuff around. We were coming back from the bike shop so I had handlebar tape and while he was dazzling my mother with his mechanical prowess I fixed it for him on the spot. My mother still laughs about that one...

Allan, I hear you about the parking costs; - everyone's got their hand out and wants a lot for nothing, figuring the rest of us owe them a living. As for Pacers, I actually saw one in captivity in Chipman last year. It actually looked pretty nice, and to top it off, it still ran. Neat, but like the owner said, a veritable fishbowl to drive, and with all that glass impossibly hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. He said it didn't do many winters because it never starts at anything less than -10.

Time for a very late supper...
Old May 23rd, 2019, 02:25 AM

mawn'in

Tanks Norm,

The "Death Care" industry is VERY S-L-O-W to change.Mostly because people deny the fact that everyone goes on at sum point. Therefore, They don't know squat and don't want to know squat

I think I earned [read paid] the right to be critical.Before I got into this, I made every mistake in the book with my parents. Went in the "Dinosaur" funeral home, laid out a pile of cash and left w/o any idea of what I really "needed to do" Most of what I bought was 'upsale" to line the shareholder pockets of the giant corporation[owns 5000 funeral homes and cemeteries ] that had bought the ole family owned funeral home [and didn't even change the wall paper]

IMHO, they take advantage of people at a bad time. I mean [think about this for a second] Do you really need a warranty on a casket or vault

Let's wake up Monday morning and go dig up grandpa and see if the warranty is good

End of rant

Old May 23rd, 2019, 06:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Wow! I can't believe it. Starting out the morning with a temp of 55° depending on which weather channel or phone app I believe. Very nice. That attic insulation is doing its thing too. We had the house at 73 last night, and this morning it's still at 73. I'm not in a hurry to see how it works in the minus temps but hope it will be substantially different than last year.

I can't believe the imports next door. They're imported (can't speak english either - everything is Arabic ) installed a concrete block sidewalk yesterday. They put cribbing in place to hold the blocks and filled underneath with old soil. Problem is is looks like crap and will eventually rot leaving the soil to spill out and the blocks to topple. Nope, not pressure treated. Great way to devalue the hood. Oh, they don't believe in using a concrete blade in a circular saw to cut angles, it's smash with a sledge hammer and hope it comes out right. Morons...

Jim - You're jess bein cryptic...and you're right. Since members of my family have been planted or cremated and vaulted I've not been to the grave site ever. Do you think that they would even notice that someone was there standing by the headstone? I don't. I guess it's more about how some people keep the memories alive. I keep them in my head.

Marc - Good one. Did your dad ever catch on? Greasy stuff??? Yer kiddin. I don't let any grease or dirt build up in my engine compartment. It gets cleaned regularly. Probably one of the few who believes in cleaning their engines.

Glenn - You're taking on a lot of work sir. Be careful with that because your missus needs you around. What happened that she needs these tests now? Hopefully it's just a routine follow up from before?

That's it for now. Trash is out. Time for SSS and head out to see da boyz.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 12:43 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I'm wacked. Got up at the usual 2am, got to work at 4 and signed wheels for two hours. Good so far. Then went to inspection and turned wheels until 1130. We have cushy mats so standing the whole time isn't -so- bad. Then walked down to Bay 5 for the lunch, walked in circles in line to get the lunch, sat down for 5 minutes because I chose a seat right under some blaring speaker playing generic rock. Walked around the displays then walked back to the shop. I sat down and didn't budge for probably 30 minutes. Rolled some wheels out until time to go. Man I'm tired. Gotta leave in a little bit for my getting thrown around session. At least that's what it feels like.

Hot out. And sunny. Love it. Oddly enough I'm not doing so great with my Chicago tan.

Jamesbo when my Dad died in 1983 the funeral home charged my Mom I think a whopping 3K for the funeral. I think the casket was half of that. Beautiful huge wood thing. Brass hardware. Dad was cremated. He had died young suddenly and no one was really thinking straight, and a while afterwards she called the funeral home and asked if it was really necessary to spend that kind of money on a casket for that purpose. Like what was anyone going to do at that point. They gave her some crappy answer along the lines of, oh well. And this was the local generations owned funeral home. I don't think the big corporate ones had been invented yet.

Most of the funeral homes around here have this big word Dignity proudly displayed on top of the signs. There's no dignity in what they charge people. Three thousand was a big chunk of change in 1983. No one could hardly believe it.

Marc I did put scheisshaufen in google translator. Got a good laugh when it popped up. At the top of the bad car list should be the Trabant. Though some are getting a huge restoration and going for big bucks these days. If that were an American car(or, God forbid, a Japanese car) that would be one awesome buggy.

Norm the mob has been doing human composting for years. Throw a body into a pen full of pigs, and they'll eat the hell out of it and voila, manure for composting. Yuck.

Another blast from the past, the car in the picture above is wearing SNOW TIRES. They make a nice rumble on dry pavement.

Okay gonna rest a bit before getting body slammed. See ya's.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - did you notice the winter grips were only on the rear? I guess most people don't realize that even RWD needed all 4 corners to have grips in the winter. A common misunderstanding. It's all about the stopping power. Lucky you with the temperature. We're back to cloudy skies, varying wind, and temps around 68.

I tried one more time to get the Homelite running. Got the H & L idle screws out, blew out the orifices and reseated them. Still doesn't run worth crap, but does run a little better. I ordered a complete new carb on Amazon for 20 bucks. Easier to not worry about the hassles anymore. Probably around 2-3 weeks to get here though because I refuse to pay for Amazon Prime. I do like that I don't have to pay any tax on the carb and it's free shipping.

I think I'll go out and play in the back yard. Time to do some more planting.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Most of the funeral homes around here have this big word Dignity proudly displayed on top of the signs. There's no dignity in what they charge people. .
That's who I was referring to. Dignity=SCI Service Corporation International owns a ton of cemeteries and funeral homes. If ya wanta pay 50% more for the exact same thing, They're your folks

But they have their own set of BIG problems

https://forward.com/news/national/36...-it-dug-up-th/
Old May 23rd, 2019, 04:20 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo that sort of sounds like the place in Noble, GA, that stacked the bodies up in the garage and didn't bury them, but told the families they were buried. I take from the article that the company is going to continue to do that.

When I was a kid there were people around the corner from us that had a 66 Toronado. They had the snow tires on the front. This was way before I knew what a 66 Toronado was, and I thought, those people are crazy! I've never seen snow tires on all four on a two wheel drive car.

Gonna hit the sack. After having dinner I feel a lot better, but I bet I sleep good tonight. Provided Tiger doesn't want to go out a bunch of times. Have a good night everyone.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:06 PM
Oh no, not again...

I forgot about the Trabant, but you're right Mike, the Trabant 501 has to be the worst thing to ever be put on a road.
When I was in Berlin in 1991 there was one that would fire up at 7 in the morning and fill our suite with stinking smoke. It was fun to watch those terror-stricken clowns on an Autobahn though, leaning forward with a grimace and bending the foot-feed into the floor board in a vain attempt to nurse another klick on the speedo. Used to see the dead ones parked in every rest stop; - and there was usually someone rummaging through it for parts to keep theirs going. When the Commie regime fell apart the Saschsenring Werke stopped making and supplying spares for the cars, - not that they were easier to get a hold of before the Wall fell. My relatives had one parked in a back shed for years, it was supposed to be there for me to try and drive it. But, my cousin finally had it junked about 6 years ago, it was locked up and the mice had tried and died miserably trying to eat things made from rude East German plastics.

I guess I've been fortunate, I haven't had to bury anyone yet. But my turn is coming, and you're right, I'm sure the Dearly Departed couldn't care less whether they were disposed of in a 3 ply Hefty or a $10K box. Most people I know also never go back and "visit" the grave, here again, I'm pretty sure the departed are beyond caring. Warranties for vaults and coffins? Really? Isn't the purpose of planting someone to "return them to the earth?" "This coffin is certified to not to break down for 10 thousand years". What's the deal with that, is there a viewing window too? "Jeez, Uncle Festus is looking a little green today, I'm gonna call that coffin company and see if they'll honor their warranty, it's only been 300 years!".That'd be the last thing I'd want, my mummified naked corpse displayed in some museum somewhere a few hundred or a thousand years from now. Perish the thought! I suppose it's like anything, a racket playing on the emotions and superstitions of gullible people who would just be happy to do anything to get it all over with.

Otherwise, it's pretty quiet around here, it's trying to rain. I hope it does...
Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:23 PM
Running On Empty

I wonder how much it would cost to skin my hide?

Old May 23rd, 2019, 06:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Marc there's also a difference in the way people are buried here and the USA. I believe that in the USA the coffin is lowered into the ground and then covered. Notable exceptions are the high water areas like Louisiana et al. Jim could verify that.

In Canada, the process requires not only the coffin purchase, but a cement liner the coffin goes into before it's sealed and dirt piled on. The logic or reason for this, besides the huge money grab, is that eventually the ground will collapse when the coffin deteriorates and that would leave a good size crater in the cemetery. With a coffin liner, that just doesn't happen (apparently). I wouldn't know for sure because like i said, I don't visit cemeteries to see how the ground looks.

That's my pearl of information for ya. And of course it's a no brainer that it doesn't apply to cremations and niches....
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:44 PM

Allan, the concrete liners are used here as well. I've been to a couple of cemeteries that have markers going back to the Civil War, and have have yet to see any signs of the ground sinking. I'd just say that they are taking advantage of people to make a few extra bucks. Sad. Gonna take Sat. & Sun. off, then work Monday for triple time. I will check out a car show about 35 miles away that I have never been to before on Saturday. It's just north of Grand Rapids, Mi., so it should draw cars from there for a good mix.
Old May 24th, 2019, 02:52 AM

mawn'in

Allan,

We call those $1,000 concrete grave liners "Vaults" and 99.9999% of cemetery in the US require them. We don't and don't allow them. I can't speak about laws in Canada, but down here, Cemeteries are regulated by the states and funeral Homes are regulated by the Fed [FTC] There is no law requiring vaults but the cemeteries require them because [as you mentioned] They keep the graves from sinking, So congratulations, the cemetery just made you pay to help lower their maintenance cost.The US buries enough steel reinforced concrete to build hundreds of miles of roads every year

Our graves do settle over time and we just add dirt, eventually they level out

So for those people who are tired of burying money, EVERY funeral Home in the US is REQUIRED give you a "General Price List" IF [capital IF] you ask for it, They have them in every drawer in he place but you have to ask. The price list will show you the a la carte cost of every single item. So in theory you can go to 10 funeral homes get their price list take it home and try to figure out WTF it;s going to cost [Alan might even make a spread sheet]

or you can visit this web site [if it works in your area]

https://www.funeralocity.com/

End of lecture

BTW Norm, I hope I get shot by a jealous husband, so I'll be coming and going at the same time

Old May 24th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well we had an impromptu 2 hour break at work this morning. The guys in the back usually start a half hour to an hour before us, because they are the ones that get things started. When I got in at 4 they weren't doing anything. Hm. The machine that cleans the wheels was broke. It started back up by 5. Then around a quarter past 8 it broke again. This time for two and a half hours. The lead was fit to be tied. He kept saying our number for the day was getting lower and lower and then said just work until quitting time. Provided the washer behaves itself tomorrow we will be busy. Eh, it's time and a half tomorrow.

It's hot as a mother out. Tiger is outside running around. Next he'll come in and lay down next to his water and drink most of it. I don't think that's too terrific for him but they say dogs know what's best for them and won't do anything to harm themselves. Except maybe get into a fight with a bear. That usually doesn't end well. We're gonna run a couple errands in a little bit, and maybe take in the Awful house. But to ward off the do-gooders who will call (anonymously) about a dog in a hot car, I'll leave the engine running with the AC on. Though the window has to be down far enough so I can reach in because the doors have a habit of locking themselves when the car is running and the door is opened then closed.

Looks like my neighbor has split for Florida for the weekend. Her trash is out and the blinds are drawn. That doesn't say nobody's home. It kind of miffs me that she never tells me when she's leaving. Tony always told me. I always tell them. It's common courtesy I would think when you're friends with your neighbor. Eh, she's from New York City.

Okay gotta do something before I head out.
Old May 24th, 2019, 07:27 PM
Running On Empty

Friday night Memorial Weekend in the U.S. of A.

Old May 25th, 2019, 05:21 AM

Good Morning. Well its Saturday of the big Memorial Day weekend. It's been raining hard but looks like could clear up. Kids are coming up later this morning. I will attempt to help with whatever son wants to do. Ever since we have moved up here full time I don't want to ask the kids to help with my stuff. They come up for rest and fun. I think son will want to put in his boat. My boat still not in but not in a hurry. I took Cutlass out yesterday and checked it all in and out because I was worried about chipmunks I have seen scurrying around in barn. When I put battery back in boat it appears that something chewed on the battery strap, so I was really worried that they may have gotten into the car with the new legendary interior! I put moth ***** in it last fall but removed them from under the hood when I started it to move it from where new 2nd floor is going in. Looks like all is OK. I blew it off with air as it was really sawdusty. Now I need to wash it well.
Yesterday and Thursday went all around to garage sales. It was fun. Thursday I took my old f100 and actually delivered a gas grill that some ladies bought at a sale to her cottage on Houghton Lake. It was close and the grill was too big for her car. I bought a small electric snowblower that I think will work on our deck to keep snow off next year, a really old Black and Decker 8" grinder, A leather xxl tall snowmobile pants and jacket (really nice), a new shower head,etc etc. All stuff was cheap. Well have a great Memorial weekend all and don't forget the Veterans and of course your lost loved ones.
Old May 25th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Sounds like a fun day at the garage sales. I have’t done that in some time, always fun. Enjoy the weekend.

i spent four days detailing the tractor - F250 Super Crew Lariat diesel. Vacuum shampoo carpet all that remains. Heading to the 2019 U.S. Women’s Open Golf Championship in South Carolina tomorrow morning. I can’t recall if it’s this weekend or Labor Day weekend Lowe’s is a tax free weekend. With my Veterans’s 10% discount and no tax I can generally save some decent cash. I might stop by after golfing today.

Thank you to everyone who served in the Armed Forces to protect our country’s freedom.
Old May 25th, 2019, 06:15 AM

mawn'in

Memorial day weekend is kinda like New Years eve and Halloween. I stay home and let the crazies have the lakes, roads and parties

Enjoy the Memorial Day or remembrance how ever you wish

Old May 25th, 2019, 08:17 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Olds Friends:
It has been a busy week. I have been building a new flower bed and rebuilding another. I unloaded two cubic yards of dirt off the big trailer and wheel barrowed it into the flower beds with a little left to put in the yard. I have to go and get another yard to spread over the roots of my oak tree before I put sod down. Then I unloaded 50 bags of bark mulch yesterday. I am surprised my back still works. I went and bought plants yesterday and had sticker shock. Man plants are expensive.
We went to granddaughters high school graduation last night. Can't believe I have a grandchild that has finished high school. The two boys will be a freshman and a junior this coming year so we will have a graduation every two years. Our son and his wife are having a cookout for here today so we head up there a little later.
It is Memorial Day and I know all you guys know what it means. It is not for us veterans that are here. It is for the ones that paid with their lives and for their families. I have made post on this board before for Memorial Day and Veterans Day and am always surprised at the number of people that read the tread and don't take the time to make a simple posts. Maybe I am over sensitive but I find it to be very disappointing. I hope all of you have a safe weekend.
Glenn
Old May 25th, 2019, 09:21 AM

Rained like hell last night. I think that the car show was a wash. Radar shows another batch of showers headed this way, out over lake Michigan. I will get flowers for my dad's marker at the cemetery this afternoon. They have a WWI cannon out there that we used to climb on when I was a kid. They are now looking for a way to remove it from the cemetery for a restoration. Over the decades the area surrounding the cannon has been taken up by graves, so getting to it to remove it will be a challenge. I believe that they are looking to air lift it out with a helicopter. We had two of these cannons restored that are at Veterans Memorial Park, which was established in the 1930's. They turned out great. It was presented to the city that has the cemetery, that the one that they have could be restored as well, with public donations. Initially they said no, but I think with the showing of public support, that they have changed their mind. I think that I will have a look at it when i go to the cemetery, as I haven't had a close up look since i was a kid. I would like to cut the grass as it needs it, but that may have to wait until tomorrow, when it is supposed to be nice out. I hate cutting wet or damp grass as it clumps & dumps on the lawn. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old May 25th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Boy did I work hard today. I was in inspection, like I had a feeling I would be, and we worked straight through the morning, and finished up right when it was quitting time. We did take a bit of a break, the lead bought everyone biscuits so that was nice. Probably a hundred biscuits.

Stopped at Awful house on the way home. Saw a neighbor and he was showing me pictures of when it rained that one time a few weeks ago. He had pictures of the water going over the dam, all the way up on the beach, etc. Really cool.

Glenn I think in these times the not thinking about veterans is going to get worse. The younger people aren't taught the real meaning to these holidays so how would they know? My Dad was in the Navy during conflict, but not during any war that I know of. Early 60s. He was on a carrier and spent a lot of time in the orient. At the time, the ship (USS Midway) was based in California so my Mom was there while Dad was on a cruise.

Oh I'm starting to wind down. That's not good. I'm going out to mow the yard and maybe a couple other things. If I stop moving I'll fall asleep and I don't want to do that. So have a good afternoon everyone and I'll try to check in later.
Old May 25th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,

Waiting on the Home Depot delivery truck to bring in the new washer and haul away the old one. The movers are going in through the garage as it's closest to the laundry room. It will be tight I think and I will caution them about getting close to the 72. Earlier this morning I went to HD and picked up (2) 3/4" elbows that will make the water connections easier in the confined space where they have to go. It wouldn't be so bad actually except that when the house was designed they put the door too close to where the washer would sit, so it has to be pushed back as far as possible. Oh, when I was scheduling the install, I was told that unless I put in new hoses the movers wouldn't install them. No big deal,the old ones don't look that great anyway so what's $24? What's interesting about the delivery this afternoon is the call advising they are on their way is automated. Apparently that's standard to avoid having a cell phone active in the truck when it's being operated. ???Duh?? Aren't there 2 people doing this delivery???

Last evening I drained the old washer. Holy thundering sewer stink Batman!! The water that came out (about 4 cups) smelled like it was rotten. Enough to almost make me gag. Then I pulled the thing out and found a whole bunch of stuff underneath that had gone AWOL over the past 15 years. Even some coins and a stack of 2" brads. Word to the wise - don't ever pull out the washer if you don't want to see the mess underneath. Anywho that all got cleaned up. Then I looked behind the dryer.... Looked like mothzilla had been busy building a lint nest back there. Shouldn't have been anything there because we had everything professionally cleaned 2 years ago and metal tape seal between the vent connections. Nope - it obviously leaked because there was a nest the size of a baseball glove. Fire hazard in making. The vacuum made short work of the cleanup in aisle 7.

Good thing I got the lawn cut and remaining veggies and flowers planted on Thursday. Yesterday started out with a couple scattered light showers that turned into heavy rain with a light show and percussion section. According to my hummingbird feeder we got about 1" of rain in a little less than 5 hours. That being the case I stayed inside the whole day.

Glenn - Yes sir, there is less and less awareness of the meanings behind all the holidays and remembrance issues. I'm saddened by that as it seems that everything has become commerce related now instead of truly appreciating the sacrifices made by all members of the military. I pay respect to the active members every time I'm out and about. When I see them in uniform and in a store I make a point of shaking their hand and thanking them for their service. I also do that for police officers as they don't have a job anyone could pay me to take. One of my neighbors, and good friend, is a police officer. When we chat I can only think how lucky I am to have people like him on the job. BTW, you're making all the rest of us look bad with all the work you're doing. Sticker shock on plants?? You know it! I feel the same way. Congrats to your grand daughter on her graduation. Is she planning to go to college or take some time off in between?

Dan - That sounds like a very worthy project restoring that canon. Good thing it's not a Sherman tank standing guard at the cemetery.

Jim - I did have a look at that link you posted. Amazing how the funeral places charge outrageously for their 'services'. It looked to me like there was certainly some double dipping going on too. And prices seem to depend on regional demographics. So, jess curious. If your state mandates a 'vault', are you in violation because you refuse to have them? Not that it matters cuz I'm not having my remains planted in the ground anyway. Wouldn't you be in a world of hurt if some native tribe says your land is the site of one of their ancestral burial grounds?? Did I jess open a can ov werms?? I better duck fer cover...
Old May 25th, 2019, 12:31 PM

Allan, There is no state law mandating vaults in any state, Cemeteries jes choose do it to a] Sell ya something and b] keep the ground from sinking [ some most still sink a little]

I happened to look at that web site too. What amazes me the mos is how much prices very for the EXACT same thing
Old May 25th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I happened to look at that web site too. What amazes me the mos is how much prices very for the EXACT same thing
Hmmm, mebbe de cheapo ones don't shower or travel with the unwarshed masses?? Could be they only have a 20 year old hand me down hearse? I agree the discrepancy in pricing was shocking and just fer giggles I chose a bunch of different zip codes from the east, mid and west to see what's what. Jess me thnkn out loud, but honest - how many peeps actually shop around fer a funeral? I think they jess choose one of convenience dats close by or one der family has bin dealin wit for their entire lives.. I know that's how my in laws do it - tradition. Everyone get buried by the same company. Dat's not how me and de bride will be doing things though.
Old May 25th, 2019, 03:21 PM

AND that my friend is why the Giant corporations can buy up old mom and pop funeral homes,not change the operating name, not change the wall paper and jack up the prices 30-40%

Alot of people follow the "Limins" approach to "Death Care"

Something you'd never do with auto parts or home appliances
Old May 25th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Always room for one more

Didn't get the mowing done but did pull some weeds and whatnot from around the wall by the lake. Also walked along the road frontage and picked up trash that accumulates along the edge.

Allan maybe using a particular funeral home can be a sort of professional courtesy. My Granddad owned a gas station and the funeral home down the street always filled up the limo's and the hearses at his station. He was friends with the undertaker so when he died my Grandma called them. I don't know if they gave her a discount of anything, but when we left the funeral home in the procession we stopped in front of the station and the hearse drove up to the front door of the station and sat for a minute. I thought that was nice. Now, my other Grandma always used the funeral home that was close to her church. The family were members of the church and my Grandma knew them for decades. They also seemed to have a controlling interest in the cemetery, with the huge family plot just as you drove in the gate. Knowing my uncle he probably got to negotiating with them when she died. I have no idea who my cousins used when my uncle died. It was someplace fairly far out of town.

Today is the 40th anniversary of the worst plane crash in the United States. American Flight 191, a DC10, lost an engine(as in, it departed the aircraft) on takeoff and long story short was full of fuel going from Chicago to Los Angeles, crashed less than a mile from the end of the runway. Lost were 273 souls including two people on the ground. It was on the news for weeks. At the time the crash site was an open field next to a trailer park. Last I heard it was a dog training facility. And my advice to you all, if you happen to get on an airplane with the flight number of 191, GET OFF immediately. That flight number has crashed at least three times that I know of; American in Chicago, Delta in Dallas(the big L1011 that got caught in windshear), and ComAir in Kentucky. I know American and Delta don't use that flight number at all, and ComAir is out of business.

Well on that happy note I'm hitting the sack. Tomorrow is the final Friday of the week. Then it's a whopping one day off and then four more. Eh, rest is for the weak. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old May 25th, 2019, 03:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - color my ignorance. But what is Limins? I looked it up and all I found was restaurants.
Old May 25th, 2019, 03:55 PM

Sorry phat phingers Lemmings

Mike, I fear I'm not making my point very clear, The way things "Used " to be [like your grandfathers funeral home/ customers] Are GWTW, What these giant corporations want is for people to continue with the same old way of doing things when the original owners either passed [and their children sold out] or sold out them selves, Privately owned funeral homes/cemeteries are few and far between

Maybe I should have stayed with POS cars I've owned

"Gone in 60 seconds"jes came on the boob tube, I need to watch Elanor
Old May 25th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - Hey! Good on you for cleaning up along the roadway. Now if more people would shoulder that kind of community consciousness it would make a real positive pride of ownership appeal to anyone going through.
I remember that DC10 crash. It happened a week after I was going through O'Hare and scared the crap out of me. Back then I was flying regularly between home, Minneapolis/St Paul, Chicaog and Dayton. The first few flights were pretty exciting and felt so invigorating. Later, it was more of a time stamp in a flying tube...They didn't have near the creature comforts they do now, but at least they provided a decent meal and refreshments as part of the flight. So, 191 is a good number to avoid? I remember flying on American, Delta, United and Allegheny. I just did a quick Google search on the best airlines to fly with and guess what? Big D came in at number 3 but is also listed as one of the most successful in aviation Got it. I notice that most of the carriers I use now have 4 digit flight numbers.

As far as choosing based on allegiance, it sounds like your Grandad and Grandma had a special relationship with that funeral service and that's a good thing. I'm glad to hear she was pleased and happy with the way they treated your Grandad on his final journey. The other Grandma sounds like she's steeped in tradition? Either way I'm sure the service they got was what they expected and paid for.
Old May 25th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

I recall FL191 well. I earned my single engine fixed wing PL certificate @ DPA (1973). I was acutely aware of ORD RW32R having done a couple touch and go's in there a couple times from DPA. I was driving home to Elgin from Champaign-Urbana that Friday. When I got home my parents told me the news and we watched the coverage on TV. I'll never forget that disaster. My Dad worked for AT&T and a neighbor down the street worked w/ my Dad for a fair number of years in the 1950s-1960s time frame. I went to (parochial) grade & high school w/ two of his children (my friends Larry & Bill Richter). Glen Dibler got his PL certificate around the same time as me. One day he (Glen Dibler) thought it would be cool to take his friends (who were my friends, as well [Larry & Bill Richter]) up in a 172 to do some local flying. On his second touch and go, he stalled out at the end of the runway 10 @ DPA about 100' AGL. There were four on board - all died in a ball of flames on the ground in a little 172. I'm guessing he forgot to adjust his flaps and exceeded his rate of climb and the left wing stalled before recovery. In all honestly, he shouldn't have been taking three passengers w/ him to begin with. A very sad day. My last career (13 years) position I was a useless piece of jet trash - having logged over 3 million miles between 2000-2014, averaging ~179 flights/year. During one year of routine weekly flights between EWN & LGA 'Sully' and I routinely spoke when I'd enter the cabin. The following year he dropped his bird in the Hudson.
Old May 26th, 2019, 05:22 AM

Turned in to a beautiful day yesterday and starting out nice today.
The other day I was watching a PBS TV show that mentioned a Korean war veteran who served on a US Navy hospital ship off the coast of Korea. That is what my Dad did in the Korean war. He was a Navy Corpsman. He never talked much about it and I am sorry to say I never asked about it. I wish I could go back and ask him. We have all heard of vets who have went thru terrible situations and never mention it, and avoid situations where it may be brought up.. My Dad only talked of the pleasurable memories he had in the Navy. I now think that he was probably a hero but didn't want to talk about it. Those GI's who were brought onto that hospital ship were many times all shot up and mutilated and that had to be tough trying to save their lives. I now wonder if he had horrific memories about those times? I am proud to be a Navy veteran but I truly had a "cake walk" as there was no war or conflict when I was in. (76-80). Thank you to all our Veterans!
Old May 26th, 2019, 05:47 AM

Greg,

I've told this story many times so please forgive me if you've heard it before

I had an uncle that was in an engineer battalion that landed with the 1st wave on Omaha Beach. He made it, came home, married, had a family and was a successful commercial artist, He loved to play golf and joke around, ONLY he never went back to the ocean EVER. No Florida beach nada

Kind makes ya think