The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2022, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Oh wait. I now think I know what you're talking about. There's a 5" x 5" square metal piece under the dash just above the steering column. I haven't removed that piece, that must be where I can access "it". I'll check again.
That could be it.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 01:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
That could be it.
John - Yes, that is where "it" can be found.....LOL "It' being the actual screw to hold the paperclip to the steering column. The 5" x 5" metal plate is actually located below the steering column (not above) as I originally stated. But, yes - once I removed that metal plate, I now have access to the screw which holds the steering column gear shift paper clip in place. Thanks.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

It's nice when you're retired - I haven't really done anything outdoors. Well, I did admire my work from yesterday. I did no outdoor work today, I should have listened to others advice. I tore open the instrument panel, instead. I'll drive the truck to the club tomorrow, no biggie.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 01:28 PM

Good afternoon guys,

It's a little after 3:00 here and still snowing lightly, we've got a good 11 to 12-inches on the ground. I went out about 1:45 to use the snowblower. Since I wasn't sure how well it would do in that much snow, I didn't want to get too much more before trying it out. The thing was a beast and made quick work of the driveway. Then I actually tried taking it down the side yard and into the backyard to clear an area for the dogs to potty. I made a big swath from the basement slider down the side of the fence and along the back fence, both about 15-feet wide. It made short work of that too, even in the grass. Pulled itself back up the hill just fine in the same track I came down in. What a back saver, why I didn't have one before God only knows!

From the back door along the side of the fence

Along the back fence

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old February 3rd, 2022, 02:15 PM

Dude, what's up with the monochrome pictures?
Old February 3rd, 2022, 02:44 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
I have no idea as both my 70 and 71 were floor shift with Dual Gate, so no indicator in the speedo.
That sounds very sweet. So, I've driven a car with a dual-gate once or twice, none of them were mine - they were friends/cousins & that was quite some time ago. Other than two separate paths, I don't know anything about their availability on Oldsmobile cars. Were they a standard feature on the H/O Hurst? Did Oldsmobile offer them as an optional feature on any cars? Are they completely aftermarket outside of the Hurst (if it was either standard or optional on Hurst?).
Old February 3rd, 2022, 02:54 PM

Greg, just a dusting of snow here. Norm, the Hurst dual gate was standard on the H/O cars, optional on the rest of the 2dr Cutlass line up, except the F-85, which came with a bench seat.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 03:03 PM

Dude, what's up with the monochrome pictures?
Kenneth - Sorry pardner, best I could do with gray skies, snowing, and white stuff everywhere.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 03:04 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Greg, just a dusting of snow here. Norm, the Hurst dual gate was standard on the H/O cars, optional on the rest of the 2dr Cutlass line up, except the F-85, which came with a bench seat.
Dan, thanks.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 03:15 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - On A-Body cars where you could order optional bucket seats, if you ordered optional bucket seats was the center console included in the bucket seat option or did you still have to specify you wanted a center console with bucket seats? I'm imagining you could order optional bucket seats but still retain say the steering column shifter?

If you ordered a center console all you got was a center console, correct? The center console did not include a floor shifter, is that correct?

If you could order a floor shifter, was the standard floor shifter your basic run of the mill floor shifter - IOW, the base option for a floor shifter was not a dual-gate floor shifter, correct?

I suspect the dual-gate floor shifter was the top-shelf floor shifter and in order to get a dual-gate floor shifter you had to order bucket seats first, correct?

Old February 3rd, 2022, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Norm all yes. That would be an odd sight, bucket seats, no console, column shift.

Just before it got dark I noticed an amount of fog forming over the lake. I thought, it's either warming up or getting colder and the lake is warm. Well, I stepped out with Tiger a minute ago and it was way warm. I'd say over 50. It's been in the 40s all day and raining. The rain is stopped for now.

I'm a huge, huge fan of the 1970 Chrysler Three Hundred Hurst car. Its interior is the Imperial seats done up in a rather ugly brown, but no Hurst shifter. I dug a little and read that they had discussed putting a Hurst shifter in them but decided against it. Odd. I suppose it would be easy enough to install one, and then put a Pentastar medallion where the rocket goes. Optional was a regular floor shifter.

Last night I was in bed by this time. Tonight won't be far off. We had a lot of wheels done up today that we didn't need, so we have a head start on tomorrow. I hope we get out early. I haven't seen my Friday friends at the Awful house for several weeks.

Okay no need to put it off. It's chilly in the house as usual, so I'll jump in bed and be warm. It's going to be cold all weekend but I still expect great things.

Old February 3rd, 2022, 04:33 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm all yes. That would be an odd sight, bucket seats, no console, column shift.
It is indeed an odd sight, but I can tell you first hand I owned such a beast. It was a (name your year) 196x Dodge Dart 270 2 dr coupe...red, 1/2 black vinyl top, column shift, no console with bucket seats. I wish I could recall what year it was. I bought it with my first credit card (Master Card) where I got a $500 credit limit. I had just rolled over that 1968 Super Beetle twice sideways and end-over-end, I needed a car. I bought that Dodge Dart for I believe it was $250 in 1972. The black bucket seats were really big, no center console, column shift. I will say this, it was one solid piece of metal. The dash was metal as I recall.

Here's a picture of a 1967 270 coupe. Mine was "fashioned" the same way but the bucket seats on the Dart I had were black, sat lower than these and were pretty big. After a shower I might a picture of one. My girlfriend found it very odd since she wanted to sit next to me.

Old February 3rd, 2022, 05:09 PM
Running On Empty

I think I can leave this to rest, since I was really wondering about the GM A-Body. Dodge (Chrysler/Plymouth) put together some interesting interior combinations though. Here's a 1966 2-door, column shift no console.

Old February 3rd, 2022, 05:30 PM

Norm,

Bucket seats, console, and Dual Gate were each separate options depending upon the model. I say that as buckets (option A51) and console (option D55) were standard on the Supreme but could be deleted for a bench seat and column shift.

You could order bucket seats (option A51) with column shift, a console that came with a regular floor shifter (option D55) or with the Hurst Dual Gate shifter (option W26).

Last edited by Fun71; February 3rd, 2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 05:41 PM
Running On Empty

Norm,

Bucket seats, console, and Dual Gate were each separate options depending upon the model. I say that as buckets (option A51) and console (option D55) were standard on the Supreme but could be deleted for a bench seat and column shift.

You could order bucket seats (option A51) with column shift, a console that came with a regular floor shifter (option D55) or with the Hurst Dual Gate shifter (option W26).
Kenneth - Thanks, that's interesting. I'm not in the know w/ regards to options/codes on any one model over any other. I might be a little hard headed on figuring this one out, but are you saying a 1971 Cutlass Supreme came standard with bucket seats and a center console with floor shifter?
Old February 3rd, 2022, 05:45 PM

Norm,

That would have been the way a Supreme was marketed as an upscale model with no-cost options that would have incurred an additional cost on other models. If these options were deleted, there was a corresponding price reduction. But not everyone wanted buckets and console as you see from the numerous Supremes with bench seat and column shift, so many Supremes were ordered with the things that helped sell cars.

Last edited by Fun71; February 3rd, 2022 at 05:48 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

Norm,

That would have been the way a Supreme was marketed as an upscale model with no-cost options that would have incurred an additional cost on other models. If these options were deleted, there was a corresponding price reduction.
Kenneth - Gotcha. That's interesting, I didn't know this regarding the Supreme. I understand the marketing aspect and corresponding price reduction but I was unaware the Supreme model came standard with those as they were listed as options on the other models. Thanks.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 05:51 PM

Another thread has an image of the build sheet from my 1970 Supreme which has an asterisk beside the equipment that was Standard on Supreme with no additional cost but was a for-cost option on other models.

I’m on my phone now so it’s “trying” to do things that are simple on a real computer but later I will try to link that build sheet

Last edited by Fun71; February 3rd, 2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 05:59 PM
Running On Empty

Another thread has an image of the build sheet from my 1970 Supreme which has an asterisk beside the equipment that was Standard on Supreme with no additional cost but was a for-cost option on other models.

I’m on my phone now so it’s “trying” to do things that are simple on a real computer but later I will try to link that build sheet
No worries, I understand what you're saying. You have a "build sheet" for your '70 Supreme? I'm not dead-set on finding one (Lansing CS), honestly it's immaterial to me. The car is numbers matching and essentially bone stock. I've been through the entire interior as I restored carpet back seats - nothing. I'm not going to drop the fuel tank just to look for a build sheet while the fuel tank sending unit is still working and I have no reason to drop the fuel tank.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:07 PM

My 70 was a Fremont car and I dropped the tank back in the 80s to fix the fuel gauge pointing at the HOT light, and was surprised to find the build sheet. Way before the internet and all this information that is taken for granted these days.

The 71 convertible is a Lansing car so with my internet knowledge I didn’t bother looking for a build sheet.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:14 PM
Running On Empty

Exactly...my build sheet went deep six at the "End of the line" I suspect. One of my most favorite contemporary bands - two remain.

Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:28 PM

I think I can leave this to rest, since I was really wondering about the GM A-Body. Dodge (Chrysler/Plymouth) put together some interesting interior combinations though. Here's a 1966 2-door, column shift no console.

Norm - Having owned a '67 4-4-2 you may already know this, but I'm going to point it out anyway. The 4-4-2 option package (L78) was only available on the Cutlass Supreme in '67. The 4-4-2 package got you the 350HP 4bbl 400ci, heavier suspension, anti-sway bars, emblems, side pin stripes, and bucket seats. The shifter type was determined by the transmission option chosen by the purchaser. If the purchaser opted for the TH400 tranny (additional charge option), the shifter was on the column, unless the purchaser also opted for the center console, which was again an additional charge option. My car has the unique combination of having the bucket seats, and column shift TH400.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 3rd, 2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:35 PM

Here's the build sheet from my 1970 Supreme. It was a surprise to see it posted in that thread, kinda like seeing a picture of your car in a random discussion. I guess I posted the build sheet some time in the past and now it has resurfaced. I guess what is said about the internet never forgets is true.

Anyway, Fremont built 1970 Supreme that was delivered to Roe Oldsmobile in Jennings, LA (35 miles east of Lake Charles where we lived - seemed like a LONG way back then). Note the asterisks denoting Standard Equipment on the Supreme models per the footnote in the lower right corner.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-161114/page2/

Last edited by Fun71; February 3rd, 2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:35 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - My '67 4-4-2 was the very first car I bought and owned (1969) at 16 yrs of age, for me it was nothing more than a means of transportation. There was absolutely no fan-fare whatsoever involved. Yeah, it had the 400 cid. What was really surprising to me (which my H.S. friends always reminded me of) was the bench seat column shift on a 4-4-2. We referred to it as the old-woman's muscle car. I recall it had 17K miles on it when I bought it. My Dad's friend (our neighbor who owned the dealership where I bought the car for $1695) did actually say it belonged to an older woman when it was traded in. Man, that car has some history to it let me tell you buddy - mostly in the interior.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:40 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I think it is awesome you found a build sheet for your car. That's great. Question: Have you annotated/documented/validated/researched what each of those codes are in the boxes numbered 1 through 160?
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:43 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - So, you actually do own an A-Body (1967 4-4-2) with bucket seats, no center console and a column shift. That is absolutely "unique" - how bizarre. Of course, I thought it bizarre in 1969 when I owned a 1967 4-4-2 with a bench seat and column shift.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:47 PM

Man, that car has some history to it let me tell you buddy - mostly in the interior.
Workin on your night moves, tryin to lose those awkward teenage blues, workin on your night moves, in the summertime, the sweet, sweet summer time!
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:48 PM

Researched at some point in the past 40 years, yes. Documented, no as I no longer have the car as it rusted away and was replaced by the '71 convertible in 1990. Again, prior to readily available internet information.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:52 PM
Running On Empty

Let me say there was never a dull moment in that car. I owned that car what - 3 or 4 years and I went through 1/2 dozen (after market add-in floor mounted) 8-track tape players. I got so $hit=faced at the Ivan-Ho Dude Ranch outside Huntley, Illinois I fell asleep in the car, woke up in the middle of the night freezing to death, turned on the car, turned on the heater to stay warm and woke up under the car sleeping next to the exhaust pipes.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that was in 1970. REO Speedwagon was playing at the Ivan-Ho Dude Ranch. They really weren't much of a band anyone had given any thought to at the time. They were all from the midwest, and they were just a band among about 20 who were playing the entire weekend where several thousand of us teenagers with ranging hormones were listening to music for mostly a $5.00 entrance fee for the weekend.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 3rd, 2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:53 PM

Man, that car has some history to it let me tell you buddy - mostly in the interior.
I hear ya. Kinda like 7 people crammed into a bucket seat Supreme, some being well endowed strippers (uh, I meant exotic dancers) from a local club, going airborne over railroad tracks and everyone slamming their heads into the roof, and splitting the headliner stitching. I never was able to repair that...

Last edited by Fun71; February 3rd, 2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:54 PM

I own one today. Project car for years. Must've been an old person to get the bench (cheaper), yet it's an AC / power windows / rear speaker car, so some money was spent.

Some day I want to restore a 4 speed post car 67 442 into a bench, floor shifter, tach and nothing else car.

Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:59 PM
Running On Empty

Yeah, my 67 4-4-2 was a bare bones Plain Jane - I couldn't believe it when I bought it. I was like WTF is up with this car - until you lifted the hood and saw that 400 cid under there and I'm thinking to myself an older woman owned this car? Was the salesperson who sold her this car a professional card carrying drunkard?
Old February 3rd, 2022, 07:01 PM
Running On Empty

I hear ya. Kinda like 7 people crammed into a bucket seat Supreme, some being well endowed strippers (uh, I meant exotic dancers) from a local club, going airborne over railroad tracks and everyone slamming their heads into the roof, and splitting the headliner stitching. I never was able to repair that...
I've seen your post(s) regarding the R.R. track escapade. I'm sure that was an entertaining evening.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 07:03 PM

Just change the X to an R in exotic and you'll have it right!
Old February 3rd, 2022, 07:04 PM

I was always amazed that a limited slip diff was an extra-cost option on the 442 that was Oldsmobile's top-performance vehicle, and many of them didn't have it, but my Supreme with a lame 2.56 rear had one. Not that I had any complaints about it, but I just can't imagine me ever driving a 455 car with a peg-leg rear. That 350-4bbl 2.56 rearend car would light up both 225-70-15s across an intersection, so I can't imagine how a 455 peg-leg would be a serious contender.

Last edited by Fun71; February 3rd, 2022 at 07:09 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 07:28 PM
Running On Empty

Subduction leads to orogeny...
Old February 4th, 2022, 12:40 AM

I sure am glad I never did stupid stuff when I was a kid

Mike, I finally found a pic of the lister water bag on Jerry can on an M 38 A 1 [Consider this a gentle reminder of your mission ]

Old February 4th, 2022, 02:36 AM

Pretty common for the 65-67 Cutlass to have a column shift w buckets, I had a 65 and 66 equipped like that. I have never seen a 70-72 like that though. I wish I knew the history of my 71. I think it was a car bought off the lot. I could see a young family buying a 'vert but deciding a bench was more practical for them. Is yours a bench or buckets, Norm? I remember my friend having a 71 Supreme hardtop w buckets and console, man sitting in the back seat was tight, seems better on the vert...
Old February 4th, 2022, 03:24 AM

Buying a car we found yesterday. its a 19 GMC Acadia. Has 26.000 miles. Just turned in off lease yesterday. It was on a new car GMC, Buick, Cadillac dealership. We found it in back lot and it was dirty. We asked about it and salesman said he wasn't sposta show it yet cuz they don't have paperwork yet. I'm glad we found it cuz I'll bet it would be gone once it became available. Anyway it's a nice car, sold new and been serviced by that dealer. The previous owner/ leaser had a hairy dog and car was dirty but not damaged, they're going to put new tires on it though tires are still ok but not like new. It'll work. Not excited, but it'll work... I sure wish I could have afforded to buy a near new 442 or GTO back it the day, Now that would have been exciting!!!
Old February 4th, 2022, 03:52 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Is yours a bench or buckets, Norm?
Greg - Mine is bench. Interior is the '71 model year only Saddle interior.