The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2018, 11:55 PM

Mike here's pic of a yellow jacket, which is a wasp.
Old July 15th, 2018, 04:39 AM

Good Morning! Another beautiful day in Michigan. We've had a long string of sunny, hot days. I personally have always liked hot weather as long as I don't have to get a labor intensive job done and get all hot and sweaty in the high humidity. Yesterday a friend and I went to a Ford swap meet near Ann Arbor. Was looking for stuff for my 56 F100. Bought a new fire extinguisher to take to the Olds Nats and a plastic headlight surround for the Vista Cruiser, also bought 2 tubes of GM RTV, funny the things you find at swap meets. I did buy some 52-54 Ford car dog dish hub caps for the truck but then found they won't fit the truck, Ugh!! I have 85 Ford pickup wheels on the truck which have "outie" caps Original 56's are "innies". Anyway the 50's car caps have the old look and are outies but I found out they won't fit on the front due to the spindle caps sticking out too far. Well, wasted $30.00, oh well... I kept smelling gas at the rear of the 71 Vert, so I decided to pull the tank and replace the original pieces of fuel lines. They were shot but after getting the tank out I found the problem was the tank sender unit. The tube was loose and allowed fumes to come out and probably liquid gas when the tank was really full. So I was pleasantly surprised to find a new one was only about $43.00 shipped from Rockauto, so I ordered one and will replace it and the fuel lines. I am also thinking about pressure washing the deck on the rear of the house. Well, enough hunt and pecking for me this morning, Have a good day Olds friends!
Old July 15th, 2018, 05:10 AM

Mawn'in

Got a much needed shower while I was gone.

Mike, No I never go out there because, {you may need to sit down] I don't fly anymore It went from being a pleasure to a giant PITA

BTW, if you slap some wet tobacco on a sting it takes out the poison immediately. I'd get rid of that nest before fall because yellow jackets get ill tempered when cooler weather hits

Gotta go get my ears lowered and begin a werk week
Old July 15th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Back to the 80's today. Clear but cool start to the day though. I'll take it any day.

Hmm, I guess most everyone is sleeping in.
Old July 15th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Woke up at 6 and told Tiger we needed to get up to go to the Awful house before all of our friends left. Instead I went back to sleep until 9. Eh.

Dan that looks like the brat that got me. My hand is pretty much back to normal. I looked around and didn't see anyplace they were headed into, so I may need to fire up the mower and go hunt for them.

Jamesbo I don't blame you. I need to fly up to Ohio and I'm not looking forward to it. But having just driven up there and back there's no way I'm doing that again. I thought you flew someplace a couple years ago. The Outer Banks?

Got some cleaning up around the house to do today. Might tinker on the Cutlass some more. Might go look at a Wagoneer. It looks like the Jerrari.

Have a good day everyone.
Old July 15th, 2018, 07:10 AM

Nope drove to Topsail island on the Outerbanks. The last place I flew was to the Nederlands in 2000 ]couldn't drive]
Old July 15th, 2018, 07:22 AM

Good to hear your hand is returning to normal Mike.
So I take it you won’t be visiting Australia any time soon Jim just turn your heat up to it’s highest setting and sit in front of the outlet and voila Australian summer LOL
Got down to 3 degrees last night at work and it’s looking to get down to maybe 5 tonight. About time winter finally showed up. I don’t call it winter if you stay in double digits
Last night on my shift then I have two overtime shifts booked on my days off. Lunch is almost over, take care everybody,
Adrian
Old July 15th, 2018, 09:17 AM

Adrian, I could take a cruise
Old July 15th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Olds Guys:
It is going to be a calm day today. I may go out in the garage and fiddle with the Olds a little bit with the fan on. I have a novel little project I am going to do that I will show later. It won't take long and I will be in the path of the wind from the big wall mounted fan.

Have a good day everybody.
Old July 15th, 2018, 10:46 AM

Pics from the car show yesterday. We had light sprinkles for about an hour, but no one left. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6p5bmHxwdbB1yKDz8
Old July 15th, 2018, 10:47 AM

Gotta head over to my brothers house with my ramps, as his wife's car (2008 Malibu) has an oil leak. Will try to see if it's something simple, like a loose oil pan nut.
Old July 15th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan - Thanks for sharing those pictures, it looks like there was a really good turnout in spite of the sprinkle. What engine in his 2008? So far, knock on wood, my sons 2010 is leak free. He has the 4 cylinder flex fuel model with the 6 speed trans. When I did the oil change on it, I didn't find any other issues. Curious though if anyone knows the answer to this. One of the DIY videos on it the (GM) shop guy says to always replace the oil filter before draining the oil. That just didn't make sense to me so I didn't follow his advice. Drain, filter, fill, check. Same as the Sonata. Any ideas?

Adrian - Sounds like you're finally getting the weather you wanted. Any chance you're going to go hunting this winter?

Glenn - Nice to hear about the garage being so organized. It almost inspired me to follow suit. Almost...

Mike - If you do go hunting for them with the mower, pack along a can of RAID hornet/wasp spray to be safe. Good luck and don't get bit again.
Old July 15th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Jim, do you know WTH happened? I see my post count just went from 20k+ to 18 758... How does that happen??
Old July 15th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Dan, that looked like a very nice car show. You had more Oldsmobiles there than we have at most shows here. Plus, you had a Cosworth Vega and a Marlin. It has been a long time since I have seen either of those. The last show I went to here was June 30th and it was 99 degrees. There is one Saturday that I would like to go to but it is supposed to be 104. I guess due to the weather they are starting at 7:30 AM and it is over at 11:00. I will probably pass due to the heat. It is just no fun when it is that hot.
Old July 15th, 2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey Jim, do you know WTH happened? I see my post count just went from 20k+ to 18 758... How does that happen??
I gave some to Joe and Eric [other] jes fer the fun of it. Ain't being a mod magical
Old July 15th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Always room for one more

Dan I think my favorite out of that bunch is the gold Barracuda.

Break time. Been cleaning in the kitchen the last couple hours. I have this place on the counter that is just the catch-all, and I haven't gone through that stuff in awhile. Interesting what gets found months later that you've forgotten about.

Was overcast but now the sun is out. Might venture outside and do a few things. Tiger has been sticking close to me all day, he must like having me around.

Don't think I'm going to see that Wagoneer, but I am going to call on a Valiant. Doesn't sound like it runs, and is way overpriced, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.
Old July 15th, 2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
it keeps dropping. Maybe they're only gonna count "Relevant" post
Old July 15th, 2018, 01:46 PM

I noticed that my count dropped also, about 1500-2000. Allan, I was wrong on the year of the Malibu, it is a 2011 with the 2.4L. The oil level is good per the dipstick. We got it up on the ramps, and it appears that there is a leak where the cast oil pan and transmission/transaxle bolt together. I was hoping that just the drain plug was seeping, but was bone dry and on the passenger side of the car. I also checked the oil canister from above and it too was dry. I normally drain the oil from the pan of a car first, then replace the filter, and then and fresh oil when doing a change. I see that this year od car, and probably yours as well has the canister for the filter, where you unscrew it with a wrench, and remove the filter from within. Back to the early days of replacing the filter like they did in the early 60's and before.
Old July 15th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think they had Al Gore recount your posts Allan and he found some discrepencies and disqualified some of them.
Old July 15th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hahahaha, Nope, but nice try Glenn. I PM'd one of the admins who says it was him who made this error happen. He's working on fixing it. Dan, I would suggest you also contact an admin to have the problem fixed. If it's even fixable. I would think that IB would have a backup set of data to help them restore an account as of a given time. Jim, I have no idea who or what determines a "relevant" post.
Old July 16th, 2018, 04:18 AM

Tis Monday so guess what?

Allan, Instead of guessing my score try to guess what my post number will be when I get back from smacking whitey
Old July 16th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Tis Monday so guess what?
You bought a pony? Red dog gets a brother or sister when you get home? De super model bought another cat? Yer AC is on the fritz again? Another bollard jumped out and bit the suburban agin? You're going to try out Awful House? It's too hot? Weed whackin is in de near future? De lawnmower broke?? Sum one called and said they'd show but didn't?? The Milton council voted you to be a civil war relic??? Gee Jim, the list of things to guess is just endless.....

So I'll guess 46/45 and 7889

Dan - I see you found the thread. Interesting that some who posted there don't give a rip, but I'd bet that if they lost 2000 or 3000 posts they'd question why. Anywho, it's a logistics problem that should be corrected just for the sake of maintaining the site accurately.

No rain in the immediate forecast so the front lawn is getting watered.

Cackle berries and sow belly for brekkie today. Should be ready shortly.
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys.

Today is birthday (#72) so I have nothing planned. My wife and daughter have something planned for lunch. I am just taking it easy today. It is going to be triple digits every day this week with 105 on Thursday and 104 on Saturday and Sunday. I only have 2-3 hours left in the garage (not including cleaning the workbench) so I may be able to do that tomorrow with the fan going.

Have a good day guys.
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

HAPPY BERFDAY GLENN!!! I didn't see your profile at the bottom of the main page where the berfdays are listed. I hope your day goes well and you have a great celebration!

Old July 16th, 2018, 09:43 AM

Happy birthday Glenn. Well, we were supposed to get a light rain after which I was going to apply weed n feed, but that appears to be a bust, so I'll have to do some light watering of the lawn so that I can apply it. It has been so dry, that I have been reluctant to apply any lawn treatment as I was concerned that I might burn the grass. It is supposed to cool down for a couple of days, so that will help.
Old July 16th, 2018, 10:34 AM

43//withdrew failing

Got a text that a good friend was found dead at his office desk
Old July 16th, 2018, 10:53 AM

Jim, sorry to hear of your friends passing.
Old July 16th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

So sorry to hear that Jim. My condolences
Old July 16th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jamesbo that's terrible. I'm so sorry.

Glenn Happy Birthday.

Hm. Those two don't seem to go together. Tis life, I suppose.

Today I greased bearings. There's an air powered machine that greases the bearings much like the cone thing you'd use at home. We greased a lot of bearings. Then we wrap them in plastic bags and put them in kits for the wheels. Lots of different bearings, I didn't even try to memorize them. I also got to see how they are cleaned.

Allan I don't know what the big deal is about the post count. I'm sure the posts themselves aren't missing, just the number under your picture is different. I lost about 1000, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. It's not like you're getting money for them.

A nice heavy shower just came through. We could use the rain but on Monday? Sheesh, I was counting on going to Summit tonight, I haven't been in three weeks. Even though the rain has stopped, it's still going to be cancelled because the people who run it are a bunch of weenies. People will still show up and park out there, and it will be dry as a bone and sunny, but no show. I should call them just to be irritating.

Okay guess I'll find something to do. Still not used to being home in the afternoon and not having to go to work at night. The days are still going by fast.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old July 16th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, you're right it's not a big deal. The admin I spoke with said it was something he caused and is trying to fix. The only reason I asked was to find out how widespread it might have been, nothing more nothing less. If they can't fix it, so be it. If they can, good on them. I suspect it's something techno related but don't know. For a thread count to go down though it's likely that some post were deleted in error. That would be a concern more than the count itself.
Old July 16th, 2018, 01:25 PM

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/atlan...pion-ray-mock/

Thanks guys, we went to high school together,played golf and he was an all around great guy. Unfortunately, in the last several years, he lost his brother in law, his brother and his son [drugs] his sister is the one I worry aboout
Old July 16th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

He looks young in that picture. Are you worried about his sister because of the load she'll be having with losing all those people in recent years? It must be devastating to face that kind of timeline, I hope she's strong and can handle it. Prayers to her and remaining family.
Old July 16th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Always room for one more

Allan at only 21000 posts, it shouldn't take you too long to figure out if anything is missing.

Jamesbo that all just sucks. I pray that his sister has a firm hold and lots of support.
Old July 16th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - Hahahahahahaha you're funny.
Old July 16th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, sorry for the loss of your longtime friend. Prayers are with his family.
Old July 17th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Well it got up to 90 here yesterday. I know that's not as hot as most of the SE and TX but it's plenty hot for up here. I'm not used to that kind of heat so I spent most of the day hiding with the AC on. I did venture out to pick some veggies from the garden, and to grill burgers for supper.

Spoda be even hotter today. Hmmm, mebbe this global warming thing has some teeth to it after all. We'll see come this winter.

Dan - I got an PM from the admin who acknowledged the post count problem. I sent him your name as another one who has lost posts. He said IB is working on the problem but it might take a few days to resolve. Meh, techno glitches happen but I'm curious to know why it was only a few people who got targeted.

Adrian - Right now I'd prolly love being in Oz. LOL, here I thought the reason you couldn't ride outside the old place was the danger from animals and mr. no shoulders. Hope everyone is settling into the new digs ok and the neighbors are decent folks. Too bad you didn't buy the crib next door mate. It's been under renovations for the past 5 weeks. Quite a mess still with no end date in sight.

Got the water on the back yard today as I don't want to lose the nice green going on there. Weather peeps say there's a small chance of an evening T storm but I don't believe or trust them.
Old July 17th, 2018, 07:31 AM

Mawn'in

Waiting for the grass to dry before mowing

Many thanks for the kind words. It's odd that I see and speak to so many dear ole high school friends only during times of tragedy. I spose everyone is jes busy living their own life

Have a great day Olds friends
Old July 17th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Allan, that is pretty warm for you. It is supposed to be 102 here today and we have this dust in the air that actually came from the Sahara Dessert. I may spend a little time in the garage today with the fan going on high. It is just to hot to do anything outside.
Have a good day guys.
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:27 AM

Allan, thanks for the update.
Old July 17th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Today I worked on "the wall." It is the cages where the tires are aired up after being built up and where we put in the bearings and do a leak check. The air is regulated so that whatever pressure you put in the meter, that's the pressure it gets, so there's no catastrophic explosions like in Jamesbo's video. Also I'm guessing there are big tanks of nitrogen somewhere because we certainly wouldn't use shop air in an airplane tire.

Glenn I'm guessing you have a pretty big shop, why don't you have AC in there? True a fan would be decent for cooling but having things blowing around and the noise would irritate me. Although, if I had any kind of shop at all to work in I wouldn't care what I had to put up with. It would beat working outside and laying on the ground.

Allan I doubt very seriously that anyone was a target of the post reduction. My post count was reduced to just 10 more total than just what I have on the NGMT. I think that's funny because I've posted way more in other threads than just this one. Eh, maybe we were targets. As long as the target isn't on my back.

Gotta go later to hitch up my trailer. Tomorrow after work I'm going to look at that Wagoneer I mentioned last week. I've wanted an orange Wagoneer for a long time, and even though it's the wrong year, I think this is the closest I'm going to get to what I want. This as long as the guy is a little reasonable about what he wants for it. He got cheated by the guy he bought it from, ended up putting a lot of money in it, and now is trying to get everything out of it plus some. We'll see. Maybe I can shame him into being lowballed. It could be fun.

Okay hope everyone has a good evening. Two down already, three to go.