The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work sucked last night. The lead was a total douchebag and everything was an uphill battle. Got home late and was still mad about it when I woke up this afternoon. Eh, that place is a million miles away right now.

Clint if I were in an elevator by myself and a woman got on I would probably just stay put. I mean, she has to assess the situation just like I would. Now, I'm not about to jump someone in an elevator, but a fat guy that scowls all the time doesn't always look the most trustworthy.

John I wouldn't disagree that some Japanese car parts last longer than their American counterparts, but when one does go bad, it's hundreds of dollars. My alternator for an 80s GM car will probably be a Grant.

Okay taking my girl to the vet today to have some stitches out, then the sky is the limit. It's beautiful here, hope everyone is enjoying their day.
Old August 31st, 2016, 03:58 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

John, Yes. that is all hail, up to 2 feet in some places. And the way that hail acts, I'm assuming the storm sewer plugged up with hail and the backup lifted the manhole covers off. Hail is a different creature than snow, and it makes the accompanying water do some nasty work.

Mike, sounds like you need to look at things a little brighter. Or do you and you have what the wife and daughter have? They call it resting B**ch face.

Dan, Looks like a few had to be rescued from their cars. ( I say let Darwin have his way with them. ) Hey look! There's an Oldsmobile.

Have a Humpity all.
Old August 31st, 2016, 05:50 AM

Mawn'in all

Clint, Dat's sum crazy $hit weather ya got out there.

Speak'in of elevators, If ya look at the 1st humor de jour thread you'll see a great Amish elevator joke.

John, Me thinks dat QB is gonna have alot more problems once he gets axed. The POS

Mike, Gripe away, Now dat you're out of school it's back to reality.

Speak'in of School Periodically I get a call from a college kid doing research and wants to know about Green Cemeteries. This nice young lady calls me the other day from Kent State. She was amazed that someone was alive [like me] that remembered the shootings. Kids

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old August 31st, 2016, 07:28 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin, all... gonna' be a hot one in da' Swamp. But I'll take it, if given the choice b/w the heat & a tropical storm. Word is, we may actually get a break from the humidity for a few days thanks to that storm.

Wild stuff, Clint. Looks quite treacherous.

Jamesbo, no tellin' what's swimmin' around the heads of them yung-un's. Anybody over 30 might as well not even exist. But I was like that at one time. In all honesty, I was pretty young when Kent State occurred 46 years ago. To put it in perspective, when I was 20, that would have been like me asking folks about something that occurred in 1930. Herbert Hoover was in office, and FDR was still Governor of N.Y. Now that's what I call scary...!

I think we're certainly approaching geezerhood, if we haven't squarely arrived.

Mike, sorry work was such a PITA for you. I have this habit of visualizing everything you say literally. It can be quite entertaining!

Whelpt, y'all have a cool, mild one, Olds compadres.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 31st, 2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old August 31st, 2016, 07:40 AM

Good evening. A little break from work, last night i slept all 4,5 hours from 04.00am to 08.30.am at truck i drive when moving machines between working places, then back to work. Didnt bother drive to home when we had so little time to sleep. Now at home. Tomorrow back to work, 06.00am as always.

Well. Now to sauna, and then to sleep. Maybe. Catch you at weekend.
Old August 31st, 2016, 07:55 AM

Ya know, I just don't think that I'll complain too much about the weather around here with what you get out your way Clint. Jamesbo, they must think that we are relics to have remembered the Kent State shootings, but John is right, 40 years prior to that would have put us in the 1930's.
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:48 AM

I remember sitting in class the day [or so ] after during tho student strike and the local news crew came to the business school and said "WTF " ar you doing here when the whole [rest of the school] was shut down. Guess the B school wasn't quite as liberal as the university.

Course I have no clue what I had fer lunch yesterday
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:50 AM

Jamesbo, did you go to Kent State?
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:20 AM

Nope,

"Emory, Emory we are the boys that sip our tea?

But the 'student strike" was a national thing.
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:30 AM

That's right, you have mentioned it before. 1970. I would have been in the 7th grade I believe.

Last edited by 1969w3155; August 31st, 2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:42 AM

I went to the Rich. H. Rich B school [as in long departed Rich's department stores here in Hotlanta]

It's been gone and has been replaced by the newer Goizueta B. School [as in former Coca Cola president]

Mater of fact, The Coke people have give the school so much $$$ they took down the cross in front of Glenn Memorial Methodist church and replaced it with a Coca Cola bottle

It never ceases to amaze me what ya can do with a couple hundred million dollars and a little imagination
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:55 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got home from the junkyard. Not much to write home about. But the guy I got the Valiant from called and said he found another set of keys, so I went up there to get them and he gave me a floor jack, some jackstands, and a pair of Nebraska license plates.

Forty years ago I was 9. About the earliest "tragedy" I can remember(tragedy in quotes because some might not think it was tragic) was when Reagan got shot I was in jr. high and the principal announced it on the loud speaker. Though I remember when Nixon resigned, that was what, about 1974.

John every night isn't bad. I get worked up over that bozo but the fact is I see him at most, once a week. I swear he is on something. He'll say things that sound like random words or start talking to you about one thing and finish talking about something else. And other times he's a nice guy and not bad to be around. A real Dr. Jekyl and Mr. A$$.

Clint it's true I tend to be on the negative side. But my resting face wouldn't be so gloomy if there weren't so many idiots surrounding me. Makes me think I'm the one with the problem. Hm.

Okay gonna do some yardwork while it's hot out and then go work on the new Valiant. Hope everyone enjoys Hump Day.
Old August 31st, 2016, 11:08 AM

Speaking of Delta,

Mike, At lunch today we were talking about that old crowd in Monore La. That had gobs and gobs of Delta stock they bought back when it was a crop dusting company /airline. wonder what happened to them when Delta went bankrupted several years ago. They got wiped out I spose
Old August 31st, 2016, 11:51 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I've only heard of Mr. Woolman's business partner. When C.E. died his family and this man controlled more than 50% of the stock and whatever they wanted to do is what got done. Eventually the family got bought out and the business partner died and the Board of Directors has been in control for decades. The only ties the company had to Monroe was every year that's where the annual meeting was held. But then some slicker got to be president and started having the meetings in New York City. So no more ties to Monroe.

When the company bought the oil refinery a few years ago they started a new subsidiary and called it Monroe Energy. Like that is supposed to mean something at this point.

And as far as crop dusting goes, whenever you have a big boll weevil and a little boll weevil, always go with the little one. Because it is the lesser of two weevils.
Old August 31st, 2016, 07:48 PM

I hope I never get a car squashed by hail.

Some Japanese parts are retarded expensive; it's a classic example of abusing a monopoly. You figure what the part on the car costs, then realize its standalone price is 400% that. Other brands do it as well, but the consumer knows they are getting robbed.

The trick with a Jap car is buy it new, never hit anything, do your own maintenance, and don't change anything on it. 400k miles later, it will die. Any new parts are damn expensive, but it shouldn't need them, but that's the gamble.

A lot of "men's code" stuff is to protect the man, not the woman. You get on an elevator with woman alone, she could scream everything up to rape and ruin you just to be a bitch. Men are no longer gentlemen, and there hasn't been a lady born since about 1975. Everyone today is about "hook ups."
Old September 1st, 2016, 03:53 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Koda, you are right about that. But at least in todays society, one upside to big brother watching everything, is most elevators now have camera's that can prove your innocence.

Mike, I hear you there. I also blame society for my frown wrinkles.

In 1970 I was -1. so I can't help you on any of that history with first hand experience. I remember Reagan getting shot, but the big thing I remember was the Challenger explosion.

Dan, The positive side of hail, is it doesn't stick around for very long. If most of those people who got trapped would have used their heads and stayed where they were for a while, the drainage and melting would have taken care of it and all would have been well.

Have a Thursday all.
Old September 1st, 2016, 05:28 AM

Mawn'in all

Got a sick cat I'm spose to take to de vet dis mawn'in

May see if any Chinese restaurants are opened fer breakfast

GTG

Old September 1st, 2016, 07:32 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Enjoyable time at the Awful house. And everyone had to go do something so we didn't stay too long. Today is a rare day that I didn't have someplace to go, so I came home. Not sure what I want to do today.

Koda that's a tad harsh, even considering today's society. Are you including yourself in that observation? If so that would be too bad. Most times I'm thinking of the other person when I do or don't do something. I agree as a people in general we've slipped down a notch or two, but I sure don't think things are that dire.

Jamesbo have fun at the vet. How do you get your cat to go, coax it into the carrier somehow, or put a collar and leash on and walk it in like a dog?

Okay daylight is burning. Last day off gotta make it count. Ya, I'll probably sit looking at the internet all day. Have a good day everyone.
Old September 1st, 2016, 07:51 AM

Mike, I had de Super model put the cat in the carrier. She's [de Super model ] is on her way to the ER now to get her claw marks stitched up
Old September 1st, 2016, 09:08 AM
CQR

Jamsebo, Bookmark for future reference.

Old September 1st, 2016, 10:13 AM

Yep, it's always a chore to get them into the carrier, at least when I had my huskies they just thought that we were going for ride, until we pulled into the vets parking lot, and then they were trying to go in another direction...but the leash was already on. Looks like a little precipitation headed in the direction of our Georgia friends.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 12:59 AM

Mawn'in all

0 dark 30

Gotta run up to de mountains to take my 89 y o bud to the docs. De operation he had on his leg veins is having sum problems and swelling bad

My dad's baby brother 93 y o is also going for surgery this mawn'in

Sure hope I get shot by a jealous husband

GTG
Old September 2nd, 2016, 03:38 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo Hope they all get fixed up quickly.

Mike did you make it count?

Sounds like we may be getting another pooch. The kids beau, has a dog that sits in the mud room for 13+ hours of the day. Somehow it "got out" and the local dog catcher thru her in the klink. So he is going to turn her over to us at least for a while and see if he can get into a better position to take care of his dog.

Have a weekend all.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:25 AM

Good evening. What a week.. Super tired. And off from sauna. Like its a surprise And Cutlass seems to have leaked half of its transmission fluid to the ground....... Im maybe getting garage with a lift for my car for winter. Then it would be transmission+rear repair. Rear parts are under talk, and on the final stage i believe. New diff ratio ( even i like 2.41 for few reasons, its everything but inspiring.. ), diff. locker and all service parts to make rear like new again.

Ive promised to me and my wifey that our household aint never gonna see japanese made car at our ownership. They are superb at making most boring cars. God how they can make even more boring car after another. Tho i have to admit, after following closely few of them, that they are indeed also reliable.

Since 70's only cars made have their roots at Europe..

Jamesbo - Hope everything sorts out for you, seems like you have alot going to worry about

Last edited by Inline; September 2nd, 2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:34 AM

Not mine
Check the link M.A. Craigslist https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5740515368.html
it says in the add "An original 442, correct numbers car"?
It looks nice. If its a clone what do you think the price should be?
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:00 AM
CQR

Originally Posted by ggoudas
Not mine
Check the link M.A. Craigslist https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5740515368.html
it says in the add "An original 442, correct numbers car"?
It looks nice. If its a clone what do you think the price should be?
Nice looking car. If it's as rust free and a true 442 he's not completely out of line on the price. I'm curious why such a low mileage car has a refreshed engine and is the stock parts (Intake, steering wheel,etc.) included?

The pinstripes look incorrect, and it looks to have deluxe seat belts but no 5VY on the cowl tag(but it's a Fremont car so that doesn't disqualify it for being a 442). I would look for other 442 items to make sure it's not a clone. It's also suppose to be Aspen Green.

I would need many more pics and at high resolution to make a better determination.

Last edited by CQR; September 2nd, 2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 12:14 PM

Thanks i just looked and found someone's post if it's from faremont it will not have the 5V
So it might be correct, i am now seeing how important the documentation is. also locally i saw this trac pac. but it is $$$. looks cool though. Again not mine...
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5761172203.html
Old September 2nd, 2016, 01:09 PM
CQR

Originally Posted by ggoudas
Thanks i just looked and found someone's post if it's from faremont it will not have the 5V
So it might be correct, i am now seeing how important the documentation is. also locally i saw this trac pac. but it is $$$. looks cool though. Again not mine...
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5761172203.html
That is correct it won't have the 5V, but the paint, the pin stripes, the other mods, make me wonder what else is not correct. Its hard to tell but the rear deck lower moulding doesn't look painted, and I can't tall if the upper light bezels are painted. I'd definitely look at motor numbers, and for boxed control arms a fuel return line and 3 port fuel pump. If it's a clone it should be priced lower.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:11 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Lounged around all day and didn't get anything done, then got caught when it was time for work. And I was talking on the phone as well. Oh well, I got to work on time.

You know what Clint, I tried to make things count yesterday. Went to the shop to work on the new Valiant only to discover I didn't bring the keys. Went to swap out the battery anyway and the negative battery cable started coming apart. Cleaned up a little then went home to do more yard work. Started raining. So I did some laundry and that was that.

Jamesbo how did Super Model's claw marks come out? Your uncle? Your friend in da mountains?

Wanted to drive the new Cutlass this week but the starter went bad. Glad it was in the driveway and not out somewhere. Turn the key and it clicks. Pull the belt and it clicks again. It's like the bendix goes into the ring gear but the motor can't turn the engine. Hm. Starter on an Olds isn't that bad. I hope.

Okay guess I'll do my work. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 09:30 AM

Hello. And good evening.

Was a busy day, and now it starts to rain. Also saw beautiful ~70 Cutlass, orange with white top. Only thing ruining it was rims closing 20" and looking like sawblades. Also saw some really old, and really good looking Mercury Monterey. No idea of the age, but i would put it to 50's, looked really loosely "same" than Hudson Hornet, if that helps you any And mint New Yorker too was on parking lot, 70-something.
But got everything done i had scheduled.

Now its resting time. Beer....... And maybe some movie. Definitetly beer..

Okay, jokes aside. Have a good weekend guys!
Old September 3rd, 2016, 09:55 AM

Well, I'm back for the mountain LA turn around

My 89 y o bud seems better after his doctor visit.. I got a text from my cousin's yuppie wife dat said my uncle pulled thru 4 1/2 surgery and she'd update me. We'll see

Mike, I was just kidd'ing about the wife's claw marks.

BTW the cat seems fine. Wonder if John keeps his cat[s] in a box during their trip to the mountains

Inline, Thanks, Sum days ya gotta be better than a 2 plate juggler.

So, Enjoy de weekend and the holiday Olds friends.

I'm gonna take de drop top out fer a spin to relax
Old September 3rd, 2016, 11:17 AM

Well off to a friends house for a get together, tomorrow I'll lounge around a bit, pick twigs and such, then cut the grass, Monday a big car show, usually has about 500 cars when the weather is nice, and it's supposed to be. Have a good weekend everybody.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

It finally got to 80 this afternoon. Got up a couple times with the dogs today and it was hovering in the 70s. It was nice and crisp last night. Odd how my Mondays are always good and my Fridays are usually bad.

Jamesbo that sounded reasonable. Funny you should know someone named Cosner. That's my Mom's family's name.

Doesn't seem like this is a holiday weekend. It's business as usual for me. My neighbor's sister is here. I saw her man out on an extension ladder this afternoon. He's an old guy and has no business being on a ladder. But, whoever comes to visit has chores to do; no one stays for free. Except me. She makes me all sorts of food all the time yet whenever she has anything she needs to be done she waits for someone to visit. She said she doesn't want to impose on me. Hm.

So ggoudas you gonna buy that car? Odd that a Fremont car is in Mass. Welcome to our little corner, by the way.

Well it's that time again. Big D awaits. Have a good evening everyone.
Old September 4th, 2016, 08:41 AM

Tag...you're it.
Old September 4th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, all, from da' mountains. I'll be here only fer a couple more days. Took this pic at Clay County Recreation Park in Hayesville (NC). The scene was so perty, I was inspired to stop and capture it.

BTW, Jamesbo, all 3 kitties are relegated to carriers during transportation. One or two might have a little "accident" in there if things get desperate, but we put what we call "diapers" (puppy training pads) in the bottoms of their carriers and we can usually detect within a minute or two when an "accident" occurs. So it's the first rest-area exit for us, and a quick diaper R&R for the kitty. We all manage to survive the 11 hours -- although in these dog days (no pun intended), we've been driving straight thru and eating our home-made sandwiches so we don't leave 'em in the hot car at the Crackerbarrel, since odds are against finding a shady spot in the parking lot. So we make it up (and back) in a tad over 10 hours if we eat in the car.

Will get back in the saddle soon, Olds pals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; September 4th, 2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old September 4th, 2016, 10:39 AM

John, I'd say your really dedicae to those cats, let me know if ya need 4 more

Mike, for reasons I'm sure I'll never figger out. You have had a P.M. in my box that I can't make go away. So, when I log one 1 p.m. = no new ones. ya musta put some gorilla glue om it or something

Mow'in grass
Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 4th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Captain Starfire

Jamesbo, once you say "I do," they're yours, and they deserve sum good takin' care of. No chattel in our household. LOL. And they're very jealous, so no new ones, thanks! Hope your little urchin did OK at vet's.
Old September 4th, 2016, 12:56 PM

Ugh. Went running yesterday to clear this spinning feeling I get in my head, and now I have a full on summer cold. Boo-gums. Doing a whole bunch of nothing today.
Old September 4th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I think the summer is finally deciding to ease up. Barely 80 again today in the Greater Stockbridge Area. Sunny, a bit humid.

Jamesbo I'm glad the message finally went away. I wonder what I said that was so gripping.

Koda hope you get to feeling better quick. Do you think your run contributed to the cold or sped it up a little?

John that's a pretty picture. I feel the same way about dogs. Although, I did have a pooch who was rather short lived here. It did not help his cause that he decided he wanted to chew may face off.

Had a good night last night. Home and in bed by 330. Though I heard this afternoon that the lead was squawking that we didn't do our jobs last night. I think it's more a case of he wanted to leave early so he let everyone else go early, and he got in trouble for it, so he's trying to get the $hit to roll downhill. Not gonna work.

Well, tomorrow is a new week for the most of us, hope it starts out well. As it is, Night 3 is waiting for me. Have a good evening everyone.
Old September 5th, 2016, 04:07 AM

Morning, off to a car show.