The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2017, 09:14 AM

Off from sauna. Was worth it.

Hmm. Ive been long wondering, and wondered again at sauna. Im 26, i have everything what ive ever wanted; own property, wife, kid coming, and american car as a hobby.
That really was everything i ever dreamed off when i was a kid, and even at teenager.
What next???? Is it just working for next 40-50 years? Dunno. Its kinda confusing; having at this age everything ive ever dreamed for; and so much ( hopefully) left to live.

Thats what ive been many times wondering, first time i wrote it off to public.
Old August 25th, 2017, 09:51 AM

Inline, ya could always get divorced and start all over with nothing
Old August 25th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni - Yeah pretty much, except you haven't factored in that after your child is born you'll be needing even more things and have to work more to afford them. Then there's the family vacations and adventures, other new hobbies. Work is a necessary evil to allow you a comfortable lifestyle.

Jim - Don't be giving that advice to this youngun. I know y'all gots experience with it, but dang. He's still young and has a great looking future.

Clint - How's the eye?

Dan - I kind of figured that. Some of my other friends say they need to have around a million in their 401k to retire and enjoy their current lifestyle. Good luck with your retirement planning.

Went to the lab this morning for blood tests. Silly people, I could have told them I have red blood. I see it every morning when I do my BG testing. Time to revisit the A1C and see where it is. On the way home I stopped at the market and bought a clove of garlic to ward off Chevies parking in front of the house....If that doesn't work, I might have to put a wooden spike though their tires
Old August 25th, 2017, 12:57 PM

Evening all

Interesting to read your thoughts Jouni. I too had pretty much what I wanted at your age. I worked hard, saved money when I could and enjoyed a modest lifestyle. Now I'm nearly 50 I can look back and be thankful I made some good choices. I could retire today and live a very comfortable life but there's still so much I want to do. Set your sights high and you may surprise yourself.

Allan. Chevies parking in front of your house! You need to sort that out.

Jim. Starting out again after getting divorced ain't all it's cracked up to be. Been there tried it out, don't recommend it. Like they say, marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
Old August 25th, 2017, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
. Like they say, marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!

London, You got out cheep
Old August 25th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Guess where I am. NOT Denver. Kept getting bumped off flights so I came home. And that sucks. So I'll pick up Tiger in the morning and that will be that.

Jamesbo if you're talking about Dobbs House that was Uncle Remus.
http://www.sunshineskies.com/uploads.../417185555.jpg

Their Black Bottom pie sounds wonderful but I don't have the patience to make it.

Okay gotta make something of this night so I don't feel like I wasted a day off. Clint I hope your eye is better, wish I could have stopped in. Have a good night everyone.
Old August 25th, 2017, 05:11 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Scot, I'm not real sure that jes because you changed their diapers they'll change your [when the time comes] They usually call when the want/ need something
You got that right

Hopefully Clint's eye is better.

Have a great Friday all
Old August 25th, 2017, 11:02 PM

Morning.

Thanks for thoughts. Maybe i need to see few more years to realise whats im wanting next? Def not what Jim recommends tho

So, today we gather with relatively big ( ~10) group of friends, which havent seen each others for ages. Some BBQ, sauna, and alot of beer. Sounds like a perfect saturday. To top it off, my wife will come get me back to home when im done, so i get back to sleep on my own bed! Tomorrow for movies with my lovely wife.

Allan R - Well, was it red this time too?

Okay, have a good saturday everyone!
Old August 26th, 2017, 05:12 AM

Mawn'in

Headed norte

John, Looks like the swamp is gonna get hammered along with the Texas coast. Hope your pigs don't drown.

Mike, Sorry your trip got messed up but Tiger's happy. Yep it was the Dobb's house with their famous black bottom pie

https://www.deltamuseum.org/about-us...ack-bottom-pie

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 26th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Went to bed early and slept late. A luxury not afforded very often. Going to get Tiger in a minute then we're going to work at the shop today. I need to come up with an enclosure of some sort so he doesn't have to stay in the car while we're there.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old August 26th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Inline - Yes. My Vulcan heritage isn't showing. Enjoy your get together.
Old August 27th, 2017, 02:35 AM

Morning all

Lovely bright sunny day today and I haven't got too much to do apart from giving the Cutlass a real good clean and polish. I'm dropping to car off at the local children's hospice to help with their fundraising. They are holding an outdoor film screening this whole weekend and they are showing Grease and they wanted an American car, I told them I had one but it's about ten years newer than what they needed but they still bit my hand off for it.
I think they will charge people to sit in it and have a photo with a minor celebrity, luckily I have plenty of plastic seat covers and the hospice has said it would cover any damage.

My thoughts go to you guys that are affected by Harvey. I was watching the pictures on TV and the destruction was unbelievable.

Stay safe and have a great weekend.
Old August 27th, 2017, 05:47 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

What a beautiful morning. Cool, sunny, can't beat it.

Went to get Tiger yesterday and he was running and jumping all over the place. I guess he was glad to see me. Or at least glad to get out of jail. He's been sticking to me like glue since we got home. That's okay. Today we're going to do some cleaning up in the back yard.

So time for Awful house then maybe the junkyard, then get to work. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old August 27th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Always room for one more

Here's one. I just dug a toilet out of the back yard. Yup, a john, a loo, a crapper. No idea why it was there or for how long. No tank, but the entire bowl. It was on the corner of what used to be a raised bed of some sort, but I can't imagine someone thought it would be decorative. Well, there's been an awful lot of odd people live in this house over the years.

I guess it's apropos that I used the poop shovel to dig it out. Tiger was there digging with me. To him it was a game. To me it was a giant exercise in sweating. So what do I do with this thing. It's mostly still intact but I don't want to bust it and have shards of porcelain go all over. I think I'll put it in the trash can and drop a couple rocks on it. What a weird thing to have in your garden.

So went to the junkyard this morning. Nothing to write home about but I did notice there were about a dozen Cadillac CTSs there. There used to always be a handful of the big hoopty Cadillacs like mine in there, but haven't seen one in years.

Well, break's over, back to work. Maybe I'll find a bathtub and sink while I'm in there.
Old August 27th, 2017, 11:51 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Beautriful day I could get used to this weather.

I delivered a cart to an elderly lady Friday. She had a really old sign out by the road that advertised fishing $3 per person and asked her about the fishing. Well she went on and on about the beavers and how they are ruining her trees and ponds. So being the nice guy I am, I told her that I'd return on Sunday and assess the situation. Whelp I grab a couple of rifles, my sidearm, a few fishing poles and my bro=in-law and we head out there.

We walked around pond #1 and see old signs of beaver but no new signs, except maybe a slide or two. As we approach pond #2 I see fresh water muscle shells strewn along the bank everywhere. Then we walked around a corner and see fresh trees that were cut down by the aquatic logging co. After walking the whole length of the property, I was convinced that these beavers were just neighbors looking to expand their habitat. The elderly lady owns roughly 100 acres but the beavers actual lodge was about 1/4 - 1/2 mile beyond her property line. She said she no longer knew the owners of that tract of land, so we had no choice but to pack it in. I told her she could get the interlopers around dark with a q-beam and rifle or shotgun. Hopefully her grandson will handle that.

Anywho we had a nice adventure and now it's almost time to feast on a spiral cut city ham and fixins

Have a good rest of your Sunday Oldsmofriends
Old August 27th, 2017, 11:57 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Mike I see folks putting their used thrones in flower beds. I think it's tacky and wouldn't want to see anyone utilizing the outdoor facilities (if ya know what I mean)

Guess where the starter is on those CTS engines
Old August 27th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Always room for one more

Well if those cars have a version of the Northstar the starter is in the middle of the engine. I wanted to buy a 99 DeVille once, found out it had a Northstar said no thanks. A maintenance nightmare.

We used to have beaver in our lake, haven't seen them in years. They never bothered me. The drunk woman two doors down would see one swimming and swear it was an alligator.

Saw my neighbor out so went next door to say hey. An hour and a half later I'm just getting back. Gonna give Tiger his supper then go out and dig some more. Really just pull some weeds.
Old August 28th, 2017, 04:31 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

My eye is on the mend. But on Saturday night the missus tripped over the dog and planted her schnoz right into the edge of a door. 4th time she's broke it. she doesn't have to put any eye shadow on for a while.

Gonna be hovering around 90F all week. not much moisture.

Got enough stuff moved into dads new house to keep him busy for a while. figure its pretty full, so I'm not sure what he expects to do with the other 75% of the stuff that we haven't moved yet.

Have a day.
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:11 AM

Mawn'in

Well the A/C went TU late yesterday, My bud called me on the 8th hole and said, he had some time this morning, So so much for golf

Clint, Jes tell her to say "It's my husband, my stove wood and my business" That should shut them up

Old August 28th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Tiger and I ran a bunch of errands this morning after the Awful house, so I think I need to rest. It's cool out and overcast, but no mention of rain.

Clint that's too bad about your wife. Hope she mends quick. I'm sure she'll get tired of people asking her who she got in a fight with.

Might work out in the front yard today. The remains of a Rampside pickup are off in the woods and it needs to get out. Anyone want a 3 speed Corvair transmission and an engine that's full of water?

Last day off. Been nice being off the extra day but I'm running low on time off. I'd hate to have to go in and work for comp time, it would be like working for free.

Have a good day everyone.
Old August 28th, 2017, 10:07 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Well hello Monday

Went down to the shop today to get a bed frame for one of the cast of Spartacus and somehow wound up with a chip in my windshield. What's funny is there was no one else on the road. Bug? I dunno, it was loud enough to startle me.

Whelp at least it's a beautiful day and all the weeds are mowed.

Glad to hear your eye is on the mend Clint and sorry to hear about the better half's nose and shiner.

Does anyone use stove wood anymore?

Inline do you mean an actual sauna or are you talking about a hot tub?

Yep Mike the starter is under the intake manifold.

A friend of mine just put a '71 black on black Delta 88 out for sale by the road. Wonder what he wants for it???
Old August 28th, 2017, 10:36 AM

Evening.

Was a tiring day at work. Must be this monday.
Tomorrow need to wake up before 04am.. Excited..

LondonCutlass - Nice move to lend out your car to fundraising. Im sure they all appreciate it

CQR - Thats always a mystery, how did all the stuff fit inside your house

GAOldsman - Real sauna. Finnish way. Hot-tubs are for gurls. Best Place on earth, and best thing to do naked in world. You get tired for that other pretty fast

Ookkay, have a evening all, and good week for everyone! Off to sleep->
Old August 28th, 2017, 10:39 AM

Scot, I still use a wood stove but didn't burn it much last winter. BTW have you noticed how many trees have tent moths in them this year? Spose to mean an early fall
Old August 28th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Always room for one more

I try to use my stove in the winter as much as possible. I don't buy "stove wood," I pick up whatever will burn from the ground. And I have trees. Actually I have enough firewood for about 10 lifetimes.

Scot is that Delta a convertible?

Haven't gotten $hit done today. Went next door to help my neighbor with her groceries, then she dishes up lasagna. Sat in the garage talking with her husband for over an hour. I really need to learn to focus. Of course with lasagna all bets are off.

Okay break is over.
Old August 28th, 2017, 01:48 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I can go for an early fall. I could go for an actual fall period Last year we had 10 months of summer and 2 months of spring

It's a hardtop Mike

I hear ya Inline. I sweat enough during work because I live in a sauna, but both are good for you in the long run.
Old August 29th, 2017, 04:00 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Scot we still use our insert. Not as often as we should, but because life.

Inline.

My father is a packrat and he also just bought a much smaller house than he was renting. Also he was renting warehouse space to keep some stuff and now that has been sold and he need out of there as well.

The wifes face is getting back to its normal size, but now the colors are spreading out. It sure looks painful, but she says it looks much worse than it feels. With her temper and history, nobody has dared to ask what the other person looked like. when you see a woman like that I think its different than if it was a guy with a busted up face.

Have a day.
Old August 29th, 2017, 05:41 AM

Mawn'in

Beautiful and cooler day

Clint, everyone probably thinks she marched in a Peace gathering..

Scot, Ya sound like June Cleaver. "Wally, I think you were a little ruff on the Beaver last night "

Mike, I was visiting with some ole high school friends the other afternoon and they're shopping for a camper to travel in. They told me what a new Airstream cost. Geeze Louise they're expensive

If ya wanta try out my Vista for towing, you're welcome to. It's ready to roll and all set up with air shocks

John, I worried about cha down in the swamp. How goes it?
GTG

Old August 29th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Monday for me. Overcast and not hot, nice day. Got some mowing done this afternoon and pulled weeds along the wall.

Thanks Jamesbo. I don't think the Vista is a big enough car to contain that brute if it should break loose. A Custom Cruiser might be. Not a big fan of them.

Scot some kid shot at you with a BB gun from the trees.

Well time to hit the road. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old August 29th, 2017, 05:15 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Good afternoon all

Originally Posted by CQR

Scot we still use our insert. Not as often as we should, but because life.
Wood stove insert? I have a couple of random wood stoves down at the shop. None of them are piped out though. I think one may actually be a Franklin. Glad the better half is on the mend.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Scot, Ya sound like June Cleaver. "Wally, I think you were a little ruff on the Beaver last night "
Whelp Ward & I like beavers

Originally Posted by slantflat
Scot some kid shot at you with a BB gun from the trees.
That's what I was thinking too but I was 1/2 way out to the shop and that's pretty desolate out there as you might remember.

Oh well better get ready for my Tuesday tomorreee. Have a great night all
Old August 29th, 2017, 05:31 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Ah forgot to tell y'all there was a silver '69 442 in the parking lot when I came back to work after lunch. It was stunning, frame off and done right. That was until I got around front and saw the Chebbelle stripes on the hood
Old August 29th, 2017, 09:11 PM

Scot, the double panel hood stripes were an option on the 442 in '69. Std. on the W's. Guess it depends on how they painted them.
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:37 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Scot. We call this an insert.

As the stove goes into the old inefficient fireplace.
I had the same thought Mike did about the windshield.

Jamesbo, She has a reputation of a fighter but it 's pretty far from the truth.

Drove Britney to the shop, I've been talked into taking her to the strip tonight to see what she can do in the quarter. Any guesses? Street tires and 6000' elevation.

Have a day.
Old August 30th, 2017, 07:23 AM

Mawn'in

While I was wait'in fer Clint to wake up and post, I mowed the cemetery. Got hay cut, fluffed and baled yesterday

A little cooler with rain on the way

Scot, I put a "Better than Ben's wood stove insert in my 1896 farm house 40 years ago. I jes wish it had blowers. My cook stove/ oven was origionaly wood and gas [right and left sides] but I slid a gas furnace sideways into the wood side.but I never installed a vent pipe so I afraid to crank it up. To tell the truth, it's a waste because the cast iron oven does the same thing

John, When ya get out from under that Buick ya need to check in with us

Old August 30th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Woodensday
Looks like everyone has been busy. Welcome back Scot.

My son bought me a nice present on Sunday. A karcher 3500 pro series pressure washer. Really ice unit, but when we assembled it, turned out some bottom dwelling scum sucker had pilfered the spray tips which makes it useless. Home Depot made it good by giving me replacement tips the next day. It was,a clearance item marked down 84% to $125.00. I have a very considerate and thoughtful son.

Clint - Sorry to hear about Lynne. I gues now it's a race to see which of you will heal up faster. Nice to see you have Britt on the road again.

Jim - Fer a guy who had manwell labor bred outta ya, yer shut doin a whole lot of it.

Unusual day here. Smoke and cloud makes the light seem surrealistic. Like an alien planet. We're just finishing up round 4 of pickling and canning. Seems the boy will eat a whole quart of pickled carrots and cauliflower all by himself.

We went to the fabricators yesterday to layout the templates on our granite slabs. They'll be starting to cut on Friday and installing next Thursday afternoon. The September long weekend Labor Day starts in 2 days. I don't know how many people will be sticking around town. They won't be liking the gas prices, they went up to just over $4.00/gal US. Partly due to the hurricane, partly due to tradional big oil greed on long weekends.
Old August 30th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Rain. We haven't had it for weeks but it still makes me mad. Didn't really plan on doing anything outside. Tiger doesn't mind the rain.

Jamesbo I think John is still in da hills. It's pretty up there I wouldn't want to leave, either.

Clint who cares what your time will be. You'll have the best looking car there.

Wasn't bad for a Monday last night. Not much work, I had about 7 planes but they either went back out or we didn't have parts. Ran around a lot but it still doesn't do me much good when the report comes out and my number doesn't show up anywhere.

Okay time to hit it. Hope everyone had a good Hump Day.
Old August 30th, 2017, 05:59 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Howdy All

Ah I see said the blind man to Clint. Um 67 442 in the quarter (stock) up on the convertor or up in the RPMs should be around the 14 second mark with possibly 95 mph??

Dan these were Chevelle stripes. Too bad I didn't get pics (boss frowns upon cell phone usage) Don't blame him one bit either.

Mike I guess it's time for glasses. Come to find out it's a Ninety-Eight. Trying to find out details. Why the search for a mangled cutout bumper?
Old August 31st, 2017, 03:42 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, that sure looks like a nice washer. I had one similar and was surprised how loud that motor was. It was nice driving her yesterday. (Brit, not my wife )

Well She was a little slower than I expected. I was thinking high 15's to about 16 seconds (Scot we are a good second slower here at altitude) but the first run was 16.8 at 210F, and the second run was 16.4 at 180F. At about 82MPH. I may put the 3.73:1 in and try an open air cleaner and bump the timing a bit and what that will change.

Have a day all.
Old August 31st, 2017, 04:26 AM

Mawn'in

Wet but nothing like Texas.

One rainy funeral yesterday another today

Thanks Mike, I guess he's high and dry in the mountains

BTW, I bet cha a dollar to a doughnut the Vista with a 455 would handle it

Allan, When I got my pressure washer I soon figgered out how much needed washing

Old August 31st, 2017, 03:36 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Howdy All

That feller wants $5500 on the 98. Wonder why purists get their knickers in a bunch over someone saying Four Forty-Two when Olds had the Ninety-Eight??

Wow Clint, I figured wrong. What gear is in it now? 3.42:1? Sounds like a good time was had nonetheless.

Whelp gotta pack. Heading to the redneck riviera for the weekend Y'all have a good one.

Old August 31st, 2017, 03:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Rained last night and this morning but now it's sunny. Hope it stays nice now, supposed to be nice over the weekend.

Scot have a good time, safe trip. My thoughts for the mangled bumper was to take one cutout and put it in the bumper of my green and white Cutlass, and have one trumpet exhaust. Sounds a little fruity but looks good in my mind. Might be a challenge to do that, lining up all those curves and of course the thick metal.

Clint is that your house with the insert? If I left a sandwich on my coffee table more than 10 seconds it would be long gone. Glad you had fun at the strip.

Jamesbo the conversation about the Toronado has taken a twist. Looks like a behemoth such as that doesn't have what it takes to tow a 7000lb trailer. I suppose trailers didn't come heavier than that in the 70s. Well, except for Lucille Ball's. I suspect most of the towing rigs these days don't meet the minimum criteria but that doesn't stop people.

Okay night 3. Last night was long but seemed to go smooth. A little too smooth so I hope there doesn't erupt a fire storm over some non-issue tonight. Extreme humidity and heat, and the can't see-um fleas are starting to sound good again(Savannah).

Have a good night everyone. One more then a long weekend.