The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2016, 05:28 PM

A '72 GS Stage1 couple (sure looked sweet) went for $29,900.
That's not a bad price if it was a legit solid car. I spent a few hours over at the new house doing a little cleaning...or tried at least. I tried to use my steam mop on the kitchen floor, but had zero results, it was like the dirt was embedded into the tile, did some vacuuming, but I think that I will call a carpet cleaning service. They did a poor job of cleaning, the fridge was dirty, the counter top needs a power tool of some kind to clean.
Old October 10th, 2016, 03:48 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Didn't sleep well at all. The missus was having bad dreams last night. I'm glad she doesn't remember them this morning.

We went fishing yesterday (Probably the last time for the year. I snagged about a 15" kokanee yesterday, had it right at the bank and gonna flop it in the net and off it swam.

Last race of the series is next weekend. Not gonna lie, I'm ready for it to be over.

Darrell sorry about the weather.

Jamesbo I love that poem.

Have a Monday
Old October 10th, 2016, 04:38 AM

Mawn'in

Decided to watch wrestl'in insted of the debate

Off to smack whitey

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 10th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Did the Awful house and some errands, and got the trailer so I can go get a Valiant parts car(sorry John).

Dan I had a rental house once, and when the one and only tenant I had left, it took me two full hours to clean the kitchen floor. What slobs these people were. You know I sold the house after they moved. It was so much work fixing it back up I said I can't be doing this every six months.

Clint I used to fish from my back yard. Big bass in the lake. Kind of got out of the habit. The aforementioned renters' dad lives in the neighborhood. They suck the life out of him and he's so poor he'll catch fish from the lake so he can eat. Not sure I'd do that.

Here's one. I wanted to move the VC yesterday, I don't know why it's only been sitting in that spot for two years, and the key won't turn in the ignition switch. It opens the doors, it will go to ACC, but won't turn forward. I sprayed Kroil in there, didn't do anything. Not sure what to do. The wheel isn't hard against the lock, it rolled off the trailer to where it sits so I know the steering isn't bound up.

Okay here comes the afternoon. Happy Columbus Day everyone.
Old October 10th, 2016, 04:17 PM

Mike, move the shifter a little if possible while turning the key.
Old October 11th, 2016, 05:38 AM
CQR

Mornin.

Didn't sleep much better last night. Oh well, like they say, "you can sleep when you're dead..."

Have a Tuesday.
Old October 11th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I didn't sleep worth nuthin' either. My girl paced back and forth all night long. When I finally put her in her room, she howled and whined and carried on until I let her back out. Don't know what time she finally settled down.

Gonna skip the Awful house. Woke up late(don't have my alarm clock). Everyone has gone by now, so I'll save the five bucks and have something here. Don't have any errands this morning so I don't need to go out. Later I'll go check out my new parts car and do some work over at the shop.

One Oldsmobile at Summit last night. A 67 Cutlass Supreme. Old fellow and his wife owned it, said he worked with the woman's husband that bought it brand new, and then in the early 70s when gas got high, he parked it. Man said he'd like to buy it so the original owner sold it to him for 600. This was around 1973.

Well, gonna get at it. Have a good day everyone.
Old October 11th, 2016, 06:54 AM

Mawn'in all

My neighbor dropped a box of tile on her foot trying to fix her floor. Her hubby jes had sum major surgery so I get to take her to de ER last nite.

So dis manw'in I get to go buy her sum overpriced hay an feed her horses

I sure am glad I don't have any bovines any more.

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:56 PM

Mike, Didn't know if ya saw dis one

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nds-chime.html
Old October 11th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Always room for one more

I did, I've been following along. I think it's ashame to hack up such a nice car, but hey the guy can do whatever he wants. He'll have a one of none when he's done and no doubt will be the hit of the show.

And now, time to get ready for pizza. Haven't been up there for awhile. Might have to get a couple to bring home.
Old October 12th, 2016, 03:42 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, Is hay pricey down there? the market here seems to have plateaued since we've gotten some moisture the past few years.

Mike, The missus made a poke roast yesterday morning. we had that last night. Each time she does it it just gets better.

Raining this morning. Have a Wednesday all.
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:02 AM

Mawn'in all

Clint, I've been out of the hay buying/feeding business for a long time. So I really don't keep up with prices. At the place my neighbor uses I paid $6.00/ bale for a medium [not giant heavy] square bale of Fescue. Way back when, I used to pay $1.25/bale

But I can tell ya 1 thing. His 10,000 sq. ft. barn didn't have 200 bales left in it.

Sum one ran over sum'in and put a nice gash in my 6 X 4 Gator tire. Donny have given me a set so I lugged one up to de lake and guess what? Wrong size rim. I didn't know Gators ha 3 sizes of rims. De kinda all look de same to me. So if ya know anyone dat needs sum 11" give me a shout. I got 9's on de front and 10's de back 4 I got a plastic welder from HF with rods for repairing plastic about 10 years ago. If I could ever figger what kind of plastic the Gator fenders are made of I'd fix de one where de Super model got caught between 2 trees. De Super glue ain't holding up so well.

Mike, I guess now de world knows about dem foreign cars

GTG

Have a
GREAT day Olds friends
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ate so much pizza last night that I didn't eat anything at the Awful house this morning. But I did have Arby's when I took the van over to have the tires rotated. I don't know if it's like this at all the Discount Tire places but the guys they have working the counter all sound like they used to work at Disneyworld. A little too happy and outgoing.

Gonna try to get the blue Suburban over to the shop today. That will probably take all afternoon. After that, move some stuff around, maybe mow, we'll see how it goes.

Poke roast sounds good. But I still have pizza. Happy Hump everyone.
Old October 13th, 2016, 03:48 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo. Thats quite the bargain. Heck I think she charges $6-7/bale for straw right now. And we don't have any fescue to bale up around here, and it's even hard to find Brome. Mostly what she sells in Mountain timothy and the stuff she hates is Garrison.

Mike the missus would have pizza 3 times a day if she had her way.

Have a day.
Old October 13th, 2016, 06:02 AM

Mawn'in all

Mike, Clint

I don't mind helping folks out but when I see them shoot themselves in the foot multiple times until the clip is empty then reload and do it sum more, it get's old. AI really don't want to take this neighbor to raise. Because she's a "Doctor god" and knows everything Except of course how to move her foot out of the way of a falling box of tiles

Well, GTG feed her horses a-gain and get ready fer a family that needs to pick out a lot

Old October 13th, 2016, 08:23 AM

Son of a gun, lost another friend. We go back to the early 70's when he was dating my buddies older sister. Back in 1974 he bought a used '68 442 4spd, and my buddy and I used to jump at any chance that we could to get a ride in it and occasionally get into a street race. He lived down the street from me, so I could just walk down and shoot the breeze about cars, the neighborhood etc. Very knowledgeable guy. He had two other 442's, both 70's, one he traded the '68 in on back in '76 and still has, and the other a rough 4spd car which my buddy acquired about a year ago from him that is awaiting the restorer. Gonna be missed.
Old October 13th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Man did I sleep a lot today. I was so tired last night I was in bed by 1130. Not good when I needed to sleep late. As it turned out, I didn't get up until almost 2. Woke up here and there, but otherwise slept a lot. I should be okay at work.

Dan so sorry about your friend. Sounds like a good guy.

Jamesbo I know a few people like that. One of them is currently awaiting sentencing. He expected people to do for him, and when everyone got tired of it he tried to help himself, right into the pokey. His momma bailed him out, but he'll be going back, for about 10 years.

Clint I'm the same way. Rumor has it that the guy that owns the place in Marietta is wanting to open a place on the south side. Lord help me.

Well it's Monday. Short week. Didn't get a whole lot done this weekend but it was nice weather and I enjoyed it. About time to hit the road. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old October 13th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Captain Starfire

Evenin' all!

Been at Gene's in N. MI all week playing friend, butler, chef, waiter, housekeeper, chauffeur, and therapist. Maybe I'll be able to retire after this gig.😀
At least I get to cozy up to Gene's gorgeous antiques. Here's one. Also get to enjoy beautiful Torch Lake, although swimming season is gone now. Lots of sweet memories w/Better Half up here.
Will catch up soon, Olds buddies.

Gene's '40 Buick. (I think FDR won the election.)

View of Torch Lake from front of Cottage -- near Bellaire, MI, in Antrim Co.
Old October 14th, 2016, 04:02 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, Put on that smile you leave by the door and take her to the Doc.

John. Beautiful.

Mike, Hope your day goes well.

Dan, Sorry to hear of your friend. The warehouse dad rents is being sold since the lady passed a few days ago. Lots of stuff to figure out what to do with.

Have a weekend all.
Old October 14th, 2016, 05:47 AM

Mawn'in all

Jes finished a BIG bowl of grits with butter and chopped up sausage Mike, dat's what I order at de Aweful house most every time

Dan, So sorry for your loss. My golfing buddy is a little older than I and lately he's been losing friends right and left. I vividly remember my grandfather's sadness when he lost his fishing buddy.

John, Glad to find out where Waldo is de jour

Clint, To be brutally honest, me feeding her horses is a little self serving. If I don't the Sob's will be out in the middle of my cemetery grazing away and I'll [because she and her hubby are under the weather] will be the only one left to herd them up.

Heading norte

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old October 14th, 2016, 08:22 AM

Good evening. One weeks over again. Week closer to season ending.
Didnt made any better friday to notice from paycheck that they forgot to pay 19hr salary.....
Well, they admitted its their fault, and going to pay it at next paycheck. It wasnt earthmoving, just enough to get pissed.

Sad to hear you lost close friend, Dan. Another side of the table when people gets old.

Have a good weekend everyone. I have a pretty busy one, a lot to do with house + getting my Cutlass to winter storage.

Off to sauna + beer...... + this week special, cognac "Just" an VSOP, since i happen to like that particular cognac, " Apteekkarin Cognac"

Last edited by Inline; October 14th, 2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old October 14th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got to 81 today, maybe summer is returning. Supposed to be nice all weekend.

John those are some nice pictures. I thought lake living would be nice but the lake I live on is little more than a puddle.

Jamesbo why don't you saddle up one of those beasts and go for a ride. Man it's been years since I was on a horse. I'm thinking 1983. You're a good egg for taking care of things, regardless of the motivation.

Sometimes I get the Awful house special Grit Bowl but with hash browns instead of grits. I still haven't eaten grits because I still haven't ridden in a Starfire.

Clint, buy the warehouse.

Okay work. My buddy will be there so we'll have a good time. Last night we had cake and Chick Fil A, it was the monthly pow wow giving out service pins and blowing a lot of smoke. The director of Line Maintenance was there, and yet again he demonstrated how out of touch and clueless he is. He must have something on the chairman or something because he sure doesn't know how to run an airline.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old October 15th, 2016, 05:45 AM

Mawn'in

Greetomgs from de hills

Mike, Not real sure 'bout the grits/Starfire connection but I'm guessing it's got something to do with our friend Waldo

Enjoy de weekend Olds friends
Old October 15th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Captain Starfire

Memory fails

Iffin' Mike & Waldo had that discussion, it eludes Waldo at present. But Mike will be denied the savory delight of (real) grits in the meanwhile. Think I'll have me some Sunday to celebrate the return to the Plantation.
Lovely day today...and LA awaits me tonite.
Y'all have a splendid Saturday, Olds pals.
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:10 PM

Good evening everyone. Did everything doable today at home, and visited one of our neighborhougs ( not sure how to spell that word, lol ). They were nice, and we got easily to talk even they are exactly twice as old as we are. Somehow, i like to talk older people with sense more than ones at my age.

So, whats up everyone? I think i soon go to sleep, and then tomorrow drive Cutlass to winter storage. Then just wait for work to end and start building it.
Old October 15th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Tis Friday. Last I looked I had a lead that didn't give a damn so hopefully I'll be out early. Lots planned for the days off.

The Starfire bit is when John was saying how delicious grits are, and I disagreed. But I said I'd eat a bowl if I could have a ride in his car. Well, right afterwards he tore the front end all apart so I figured I was safe for awhile. So the Awful house status quo is hash browns, no grits.

John safe trip home.

Not much else going on. Found out I can acquire yet another Valiant for the princely (get it?) sum of 100 dollars. How can I turn that deal down? It belongs to the brother of the previous owner of my dark blue Valiant I got in August.

Well, it's off to the races. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
Old October 15th, 2016, 05:26 PM

Dang, moving furniture to the new house reminds me that I just might be getting old.
Old October 16th, 2016, 12:27 AM

Its not the age think, I had the same feeling last year when we moved here, and ím just 25. It just plain s***s

And good Morning for everyone. Alot to do, plus heating sauna at evening. Nice. Weather tho is misty and cold, not so nice.

Have a nice day everyone.
Old October 16th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Home and in bed by 0230. That has to be some sort of record. Still slept till noon. We'll see if I get anything done this afternoon.

Dan were you moving the furniture by yourself? I can never get anyone to help me do stuff like that. The guy across the street is young and built like a brick $hithouse, but I can never seem to catch up with him. Or he's tired of me asking for help.

Weatherman says it's going to warm up to 82 here today. If'n it does in a reasonable amount of time, I'm going to give my girl a bath. She isn't going to like that, but methinks she has some unwelcome passengers(fleas). And she needs it for winter anyway.

Okay gotta get moving. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old October 16th, 2016, 11:09 AM

Mike, I rented a moving van and corralled my brother to help, 'cept he's older than me! I had leg cramps last night that about killed me. I have one tall glass front display case to move, but it is too damn heavy, and I will look to find someone to move it for me.
Old October 16th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Home from de hills. Guess what?? Didn't get one single call while I was up there
Old October 16th, 2016, 05:21 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Was at a car show today with my son, had a great weather day, 70 and sunny. About 80 cars, mostly Vettes but a few others sprinkled in too. Met my buddy there, he has a 66 Corvette Convertible he drives almost every day. Dark green with tan interior, a little weathered but makes a nice presentation.

Went to my friend's grandmother's funeral, she made it to 100 and a half. Not a bad life, never really sick nor had any operations.

I have a good story for all of you. My wife got an invitation in the mail to drive a new Lincoln MKZ and the Continental. So we made an appointment and went in there yesterday for a test drive. My wife got into the first one (MKZ) and found a ton of buttons: Start/Stop, PRNDL(no shifter) and a lot of little buttons for everything else. She looks at the salesman and asked him, "why can't you make this more simple, I'm not used to all this and it looks confusing". I was laughing to myself when she asked him that. Her 08 300C interior controls looks a lot like my Intrepids and nothing is complicated.

I asked the salesman what do I do if the remote is not working? He showed me a little key in the remote that can open the door. I asked him if that could start the car and his answer was why are you asking me this? Why would it stop working? I said batteries and electronics die and I didn't want my wife to be stranded. He said that won't happen. Really??? So I asked him again how to start the car with the key and he said it couldn't. Great, so this is what new cars are going to be like? They can keep them. Also, the Continental doesn't have interior door handles. It has buttons to push to open the door. So if the battery is dead or the handle switch stops working, you're S*it outta luck. Needless to say we walked out. Crazy right? What do you all think?

Mike - are you referring to the Plymouth Valiant? If so, what year?

Dan - Sorry to hear about losing your buddy, he sounded like a good guy and a cool neighbor to have. What's the new place you're moving into like?

Mike - that's a beautiful looking back end, do you have pictures of the rest of the car? I like the license plate topper. If I had one of those for today's candidates on my car, I guarantee someone would vandalize it.

Well, have a good night all.
Old October 16th, 2016, 05:41 PM

Thanks Darrell. The house is nothing fancy, 3 bedroom ranch with a two stall attached in a quiet neighborhood. It has the original ceramic tile floor in the kitchen, from 1955, which at first I really disliked, but my brothers wife insisted on cleaning it, and well, it really looks 100% better, which means it'll stay. Natural gas for the heat and water, but electric for the dryer and drop in stove top, which I don't care for. I have a guy coming to give me a quote on running gas to the dryer area and range, if it doesn't kill me price wise, I'll do it.
Old October 16th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Captain Starfire

Evenin', all... got back to da' Swamp late last nite. 'Twas rough leaving Gene yesterday afternoon... he was having a terrible day; but had to make my flight. Seems to be doing a bit better today, thank the Lord.
Whelpt, I took a bunch o'pics of the cottages & cars and will post ASAP for the viewing pleasure (or boredom) of anyone who would care to peek.

Mike, you're gonna' have to swallow down a bowl of grits yet. I had mine this morning w/ a delicious omelette from better Half and a slab of ham. 'Tweren't bad.

Glad you eluded the grieving families this weekend, Jamesbo. Every dog has his day!

Darrell, I was musing just a couple days ago how great it would be to be able to buy a new upscale (well built and fairly large) vehicle with a totally modern powertrain and suspension that did not include all the asinine electronic gizmos, automatic crap, and ridiculous assists and "luxuries" that the new upscale cars have. I drove Gene's '15 Highlander and I thought it was a fab drive; but the controls are almost useless until you read the manual, then 2/3 of the stuff you will never use. Automatic wipers make me want to hurl, along with the power tailgates. Really... does EVERYBODY need this stuff?

My other big gripe is that if you want the super duper sound system, you have to order the sky roof package. Really? That's why I wound up buying an Avalon that doesn't even have a compass, much less the fog lamps that I would have liked to have. Maybe I cut my nose to spite my face; but I wasn't going to buy all that crap. I do miss the moon roof on occasion, but relatively rarely. But to omit a compass this day & age seems pretty pitiful on a supposedly "upscale" car. Pitiful, Toyota. Remember when each option was separate?

Thnkin' of takin' a cruise to High Point, NC, next year from Hiawassee via Ashville. We'll see how the plan develops.

Whelpt, y'all have a great Sunday nite, Olds compadres.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; October 16th, 2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old October 17th, 2016, 02:26 AM

Mawn'in

John, I couldn't agree with you more. I HATE new cars with all the stupid bells and whistles.

I drove my 89 yo buds Honda to his dr, once and couldn't figger out how to turn off the wipers

Whatcha gonna do in High Point? Does Waldo's better half want sum more furniture?

Welp, Tis Monday and whitey awaits smacking

Old October 17th, 2016, 05:10 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Another beautiful day is shaping up. Summit cruise in is tonight, should be nice for it.

Darrell yes this is a Plymouth Valiant. This will be my fifth one, they've all been 1968 4 doors. Not the most attractive car on the streets, but a right smart package for its day. One I sold, and one is a parts car. Not sure what I'm going to do with this latest one but at 100 bucks I can't go wrong.

John glad you made it home safe. Sounds like a good time, all things considered, up with Gene. If I thought eating grits every day would help you get the car finished sooner, well then I'd feel bad that I couldn't help you. How much butter and sausage do you have to put in there before you can't tell there's grits in with it?

My new Cruze has so many buttons I still don't know what they all do. You know what else, it doesn't have a CD player. I guess they assume you are going to plug your music device in and listen to non-radio tunes that way. That leaves me solely with the radio. I remember when CDs came out in the 80s. I worked at a Chevy place and the high dollar conversion vans started coming with CD players. They each had one(seemingly random) CD that came with. No surprise the CDs disappeared long before the sale.

Well, Awful house. Happy Monday everyone.
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:28 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all... whelpt, it's mighty muggy in da' swamp. I feel right at home.

Me & Better Half is headed to da' big city today to run errands. Hopefully be back before traffic gets thick.

Jamesbo, there's a concert there in Feb that we want to see. I'm not going to advertise it 'cause prolly nobody else is interested... but then again, prolly nobody else is interested in 2/3 the stuff I post here! But iffin' the curiosity is killing anybody, you can check out the event here. And then we'd like to see some sights in Ashville (Biltmore, etc.). Just a short jaunt for a coupley days.

Thanks, Mike. And I appreciate the selfless gesture! I can use all the help available with the S/F, but it's a shame you feel that way... Awful House ain't the place to be tastin' grits, though. Next time you come over, I'll fix some REAL grits and you can at least have a teaspoon. Just a little butter & salt does the trick. As we always say down here: "Grits is good."
You do need to get yourself a real Android with a good 32-gig card & Bluetooth. I resisted for years & years, but now, I'm SO glad I have it. Bluetooth and having 250 albums on your phone is a real lifesaver. Not that you use it all the time, but it's so nice when your other choices become constricted. They do force us into these things, but it ain't ALL bad. I remember when I got my Y2K truck and it didn't have a cassette player, I was bummed.... But I really made the big switch to CDs and it was a good thing, I have to admit in hindsight. You'll feel the same if you make the switch now.

OK... Y'all have a great one, Olds friends.
Old October 17th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Always room for one more

Now John don't be that way. I'd eat grits if it were the only way to get you out of a Mexican prison.

Question. Just when is the DA Powerpack going to be given away? I've been on the site for 5 years, and every time I log in it says at the top, register to win the DA Powerpack. Is this a ploy to get email information so we can be spammed forever? Actually it will be 5 years for me here this coming up Friday.

Here's the thing with the Android/Galaxy/phone du jour. In the past I was not against getting a smart phone, and several people expressed interest in helping me learn about them. At the present I know next to nothing about them. However, each and every person has taken a powder as far as helping me. I don't want to go into the phone store and be at the salesman's mercy. Also, one day when I went to ask about one, I found out there was a monthly fee, just for the sake of having the stinkin' phone. No. And as far as music? I drive more than one car that has no radio whatsoever. And I still have cassettes that I like to listen to. I've existed just fine without one of them phones I expect I'll be okay in the future.

Last edited by slantflat; October 17th, 2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:35 AM

Mike, Ya ever read Lee Iaccoca's book? It talks about dem Valiants and how they were virtually indestructible so w/o built in obsolescence no one would trade dem in soooooooooooooo they quit making them. .

Remember when you're headed to my place and ya turn at de Indian mound? Well, If ya go straight about 1/2 mile up de road on de right on de Chattahoochee River is Nora's Mill.
http://www.noramill.com/
Ya can get sum sho nuff stone ground grits there. They're so good they'll make ya slap yo mama.

John, Ya ain't never ever been to Biltmore Estates? Ya need to go and see the joint. It'll show you how de other have lives. They had to build the town 1st so the people building the house would have a place to live.

BTW, Ever day I sit waiting for your post. I think you should write a book. "They call me Ishmael" would be a good start
Old October 17th, 2016, 10:47 AM
CQR

Mornin all. (Just barely)

Raced and wrecked yesterday. Blew up a motor and the wife blew a rear shock.

Sore today. lots going on at the shop. have a great day.